Traps?

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Piteous.4165

Piteous.4165

I think I might go do PVE, that gets all the good stuff.

Blackgate
Stay frosty! Keep it tight!

(edited by Piteous.4165)

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

30 sec revealed for 500 karma not good enough for you? Okay then.

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

Are you kidding me and I’m talking about both traps, arrow carts made life hard for smaller groups imagine a group with little supply walking through a 1hr trap do you think what you implement anymore?!

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

Traps?

in WvW

Piteous.4165

I edited my post above I didn’t mean to sound to rude, but c’mon….really? And no I don’t have a thief.

Blackgate

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

The traps actually cost more than a catapult in terms of badges, which makes me a sad panda.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Traps?

in WvW

PearlGore.7419

The traps actually cost more than a catapult in terms of badges, which makes me a sad panda.

We all have massive unused karma though.

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Just for reporting.

Added a new vendor: “Traps and Tricks Outfitter.”
Traps have been added as a new purchasable consumable utility item. Two unique variants are available.

When placed, traps last for one hour.
Players may only have one of a given trap type deployed at a time.
Traps will disappear when a player leaves the map.
Traps are sold by the vendor for 15 badges and 525 karma; they will stack to 250 and are account-bound.
It takes a 4-second channel to place at feet.
Placing a trap uses very short-range ground targeting to assist in orientation.
Placed traps have a 600×90 rectangular trigger area; only enemies can trigger them.
Once triggered, traps affect up to 20 enemies within a range of 1200.
Traps cost 10 supply to place.

Supply Removal Trap

Removes 5 supply from enemies affected by the trap.

Stealth Disruptor Trap

Removes stealth from enemies and reveals them for 30 seconds, preventing stealth.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: zTales.4392

zTales.4392

So use Karma! It’s not that much. :>

I’m excited because now I can use traps and feel like a “real” Ranger without having to build for Ranger traps!

Bri Dragonblight – Ranger | Bri Iceblight – Guardian
Northern Shiverpeaks

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

Yes but not unused badges XD

Not me at least. I have been using it to get gear.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Arkanfel.8403

Arkanfel.8403

Few things are quite so savory to me as thief tears.

There’s finally a hard counter to stealth and now they are going to lose their kitten. Oh, your core gameplay mechanic has a counter now? How bad that must feel. I main guardian—my core gameplay mechanic is boons and I have a low health pool. You know what counters my core gameplay? Boon stripping and conditions.

So welcome to the club of the rest of us. We meet in the gym after AA on Wednesdays. Bring donuts and paper plates.

Sarabi “the Roaring Fury” Aminata

Traps?

in WvW

PearlGore.7419

Yes but not unused badges XD

Not me at least. I have been using it to get gear.

Use karma then.

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Now if ONLY they could give some of the classes a skill or trait that allows them to break stealth, Arkanfel. Then we’ll really be cooking.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Is it me or is the supply removal one awesome?

I mean -5 supply from 20 people in a zerg, that’s potentially -100 supply gone like that…

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: LionZero.3479

LionZero.3479

So where’s the traps that prevent 30 seconds of illusion spawn on mesmers, 30 seconds of zero adrenaline on warriors, 30 seconds of ranger pets disabled, 30 seconds of ele stuck in a single attunement!

1200 range 20 targets 30 sec reveal is a bit overkill in my book >_>

A random ally could trigger it and you still get struck by it ^^ all you can do now is run an evade build or port back and wait 30 sec, sounds fun ^^

Traps?

in WvW

PearlGore.7419

We only need traps for Thieves to help the disabled player base.

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: frostshade.3617

frostshade.3617

Stealth removal doesn’t just effect thieves it effects mes a ton as well as engis and rangers

commander frostseir(sylvari,guardian) commander frostetics(norn,ele)
Os guild

Traps?

in WvW

zTales.4392

I mean -5 supply from 20 people in a zerg, that’s potentially -100 supply gone like that…

Mmmmhm. Have a Thief, Ranger or Elementalist (‘cause they’re the fastest) run ahead and place one down on a road on the way to a keep. That’ll teach ’em! Haha. xD

Edit: Warriors may work, also. They have lots of Swiftness! Maybe a Guardian, too?

Heck, I guess anyone could do it. o.o

Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by zTales.4392)

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Dr Zoidberg.2046

Dr Zoidberg.2046

There’s finally a hard counter to stealth and now they are going to lose their kitten. Oh, your core gameplay mechanic has a counter now? How bad that must feel. I main guardian—my core gameplay mechanic is boons and I have a low health pool. You know what counters my core gameplay? Boon stripping and conditions.

So welcome to the club of the rest of us. We meet in the gym after AA on Wednesdays. Bring donuts and paper plates.

We now have virtually no condition removal around those traps. 1 reliable source that removes 1, 1 that is our heal which only removes specific conditions, 1 utility that is meant to be used as a teleport, and 1 on an underwhelming weapon that costs 5/12 initiative to remove 1 condition. So much for trying to allow a variety of builds. If you don’t have condition removal in WvW, you’re dead, especially with thief’s low HP pool.

J Zoidberg

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

All I’m saying as a thief, Is have fun with that 4s cast to place the trap! This won’t help you with the roaming thieves. This trap is going to be great, Imo its going to weed out more of the thief band wagoners.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Lauranda.1342

Lauranda.1342

The anti-stealth trap is for mesmer strips during zerging, not individual thieves. At a cost of all yer supply and 4 seconds of channeling, thieves are not going to be hit as hard as everyone thinks. The only use I can see for this against thieves would be maybe putting a couple in a camp to prevent a thief from soloing it. But eventually all that unused karma will run out and the traps will be used more selectively.

Traps?

in WvW

Arkanfel.8403

Now if ONLY they could give some of the classes a skill or trait that allows them to break stealth, Arkanfel. Then we’ll really be cooking.

I’m a firm believer that if you are going to include stealth in a game, that you HAVE to have some kind of reveal ability too. Developers (in a lot of MMOs, not just GW2) are trying to get way too cute with the stuff you can do in stealth and the limitations of its utility.

Personally I think thief/rogue classes should have more evade/dodge/block/parry abilities and less outright “hurr I go invis nao” crap. Thieves are sneaky and quick, but only in MMOs can they go completely invisible. Paper dice game builders seemed to realize this, game developers either don’t or choose to ignore the principle.

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Good for thief vs thief duels. First one to stealth and drop a trap wins.

What would be cool now is if they allowed Rangers and Thieves to see traps so they could disarm them like any sensible game would have done to begin with.

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Dr Zoidberg.2046

Dr Zoidberg.2046

Yeah for each person, too. 10 supply to remove 100. Ridiculous.

J Zoidberg

Traps?

in WvW

Arkanfel.8403

All I’m saying as a thief, Is have fun with that 4s cast to place the trap! This won’t help you with the roaming thieves. This trap is going to be great, Imo its going to weed out more of the thief band wagoners.

Presumably, yeah, anyone who tries to use one after being engaged by a thief will drop faster than Bill Clinton’s drawers on “meet the interns” night. But they’ll still be useful for ambushes and the like. I can see havoc teams having a lot of fun with them, and it might even help counter the ridiculous phenomenon of gate-tapping.

Traps?

in WvW

Rising Dusk.2408

Maybe I misread the release notes. I thought they costed the 15 badges and the 525 karma. Is it actually one or the other? If so, I’m buying stacks with karma as soon as I get off work!

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Traps?

in WvW

PearlGore.7419

Go ahead and use them, we’ll gib you during that 4 sec cast time if you are not laying it at a choak point before hand lol.

Traps?

in WvW

Piteous.4165

Supply can get scarce as it is, but now it can be taken from us. lol AC wars now supply wars, MAN YOUR AC’s THEY COMING FOR OUR SUPPLY.

Blackgate

Traps?

in WvW

frostshade.3617

You know there will prob be a give away so it can be avoided

Os guild

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: iformidable.3051

iformidable.3051

Maybe I misread the release notes. I thought they costed the 15 badges and the 525 karma. Is it actually one or the other? If so, I’m buying stacks with karma as soon as I get off work!

I was thinking exactly this, the patchnote isn’t very clear as to whether it requires one of them or both

Traps?

in WvW

zTales.4392

Do pets (Ranger pets, Necro minions, etc) trigger the traps? My pet usually runs ahead of me, so…

Northern Shiverpeaks

Traps?

in WvW

PearlGore.7419

I was thinking exactly this, the patchnote isn’t very clear as to whether it requires one of them or both

I thought it was either one, I Don’t know.

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

So where’s the traps that prevent 30 seconds of illusion spawn on mesmers, 30 seconds of zero adrenaline on warriors, 30 seconds of ranger pets disabled, 30 seconds of ele stuck in a single attunement!

1200 range 20 targets 30 sec reveal is a bit overkill in my book >_>

A random ally could trigger it and you still get struck by it ^^ all you can do now is run an evade build or port back and wait 30 sec, sounds fun ^^

The 4 second channel kind of annoys me. Can it be interrupted? Throwing these things down all over a small scale battle will completely kitten with small man teams.

Playing against a thief? Just throw a trap down on anyone who goes down. Shadow Refuge and Mass Invisibility is suddenly useless, and you have removed another advantage organized teams have.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Traps?

in WvW

Meglobob.8620

That’s how I read it too…

They cost 15 BoH + 525 karma…

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

We now have virtually no condition removal around those traps. 1 reliable source that removes 1, 1 that is our heal which only removes specific conditions, 1 utility that is meant to be used as a teleport, and 1 on an underwhelming weapon that costs 5/12 initiative to remove 1 condition. So much for trying to allow a variety of builds. If you don’t have condition removal in WvW, you’re dead, especially with thief’s low HP pool.

Meh, that’s a bad argument to try and make your point. Getting a 30s revealed you’re dead is more on point. CD removal is just one thing, there is healing, int regain, blind…(traited of course ) The trap is to make thieves have to pick there battles better. Were not going to be able to just do anything we want, which is fine.

The only thing I might disagree with because of the tra kitten olo taking a camp. If I get a 30s revealed it will effectively reduce my damage making taking a camp much slower. Then again who knows, haven’t seen it in action yet. Either way, good luck non thieves! Hope this trap helps you save some tears for other classes.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: iformidable.3051

iformidable.3051

Do pets (Ranger pets, Necro minions, etc) trigger the traps? My pet usually runs ahead of me, so…

Lol pets triggering traps? that will probably make them a ton more useful now in WvW, Ranger job = minesweeper or even trapsweeper. What i’m concerned about is dropping a tonne infront of gates so that you will see all your supply gone before building a ram.

Traps?

in WvW

Meglobob.8620

Yea, rangers pets could be really, really useful if they trigger the -100 supply one, every zerg will suddenly want a ranger…lol

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Stealth removal doesn’t just effect thieves it effects mes a ton as well as engis and rangers

What they should have done was give a stealth reveal on the engineer Goggle gadget.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Traps?

in WvW

zTales.4392

That’s how I read it too…

They cost 15 BoH + 525 karma…

It’s definitely and? Not or? Are you in-game now? :o

If so, meh. Whatever, I don’t use badges for anything anyway. I’ve been collecting them. Might as well put ’em to use!

Northern Shiverpeaks

Traps?

in WvW

frostshade.3617

I honestly think this is more about veil bombs then theives a person can only place one of each are they really gonna waste it on.a lone theif not to mention how small they actually are

Os guild

(edited by frostshade.3617)

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

I’m a firm believer that if you are going to include stealth in a game, that you HAVE to have some kind of reveal ability too. Developers (in a lot of MMOs, not just GW2) are trying to get way too cute with the stuff you can do in stealth and the limitations of its utility.

Personally I think thief/rogue classes should have more evade/dodge/block/parry abilities and less outright “hurr I go invis nao” crap. Thieves are sneaky and quick, but only in MMOs can they go completely invisible. Paper dice game builders seemed to realize this, game developers either don’t or choose to ignore the principle.

But in a game where you have a radar and a targeting computer, you can’t sneak around if you aren’t invisible.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Traps?

in WvW

PearlGore.7419

As Thieves most of us would have been fine with Ranger’s or Engi’s having a reveal. But a Trap is just stupid.

Traps?

in WvW

zTales.4392

Lol pets triggering traps? that will probably make them a ton more useful now in WvW, Ranger job = minesweeper or even trapsweeper. What i’m concerned about is dropping a tonne infront of gates so that you will see all your supply gone before building a ram.

Yea, rangers pets could be really, really useful if they trigger the -100 supply one, every zerg will suddenly want a ranger…lol

Heh, it would definitely make me feel more useful.

I could also make my pet target critters and such on the roads so that it’ll trigger them way ahead of time. That is, if pets trigger traps at all. :I

Someone test this!

Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by zTales.4392)

Traps?

in WvW

Piteous.4165

This will mess with a lot of things and I forgot about the veils like the OP said.

Blackgate

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: TinkTinkPOOF.9201

TinkTinkPOOF.9201

Indeed, we always hear the L2P anytime you talk about changing stealth, and how everyone else has no skill, but being invisible does not require skill, if the class had far more dodge and abilities to get out of the way of dmg that required skill it would be something, they still have the ability to not take dmg, but it then would require skill to do it. And not just going “poof”, throw in someone with even the least bit of skill and it becomes laughable.

I also don’t think this will hit thieves at all really, I mean, most solo/roam, who is going to stand still for 4s in a fight with the thief in the middle of a field to place a trap? I think the point of this is to limit the cloaking of zergs and stealth/portal bomb etc which would affect mesmers more than anything.

6700k@5GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB 850 SSD | GTX980Ti | 27" 144Hz Gsync

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Tellerion.8102

Tellerion.8102

I can already see this failing extremely hard.

The fact that they even came up with this idea just shows us how clueless they really are.

~~Ayeres~~

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Rawr.5930

Rawr.5930

It’s 15 badges AND 525 karma, or am i reading it wrong?

That is freaking expensive.

If it’s either badges or karma then its cheap as chips karma wise.

Meega Kweesta

Traps?

in WvW

frostshade.3617

Ok ok math time look at the trap size and figure in how close your zergs run together nhow judge exactly how effective they are

Os guild

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

As someone who thinks there’s too much stealth in the game, I can safely say that trap is ridiculously overkill. It should be maybe 10 seconds at most.

Traps?

in WvW

Posted by: slingblade.1437

slingblade.1437

Regarding Ranger pets triggering the traps, I’m gonna assume you don’t trigger a trap unless you are in a condition to trigger it, i.e., in stealth or carrying supplies. Otherwise the reveal trap would hardly seem worth it and would constantly be getting tripped by people not in stealth and wasted.

The supply-stripping trap should make for some more lengthy sieges, especially at the keeps, where you have to break through outer and inner gates/walls. I can see the traps really kittening up a zerg’s plans. Will be interesting to learn if you can place traps while in stealth.

Traps?

in WvW

Rising Dusk.2408

The only change here in sieging keeps and the like is that one player will run ahead to trigger all traps before the zerg comes in.

I will also chime in that like I mentioned before, if it’s 15 badges and 525 karma, you bet your britches I’m not buying any of them. I’d rather have catapults, ACs, and other siege equipment for my badges than traps.