Traps+Get More Out of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

We really shouldn’t be crying about traps until we at least see how they’re implemented. We don’t know how they’re created, how much they cost in supply or gold, how large an area they’ll affect, where they can be placed, how spam-able they are, target limit, whether they’re proximity triggered or player controlled, what kind of damage they’ll do, what kind of cooldown they’ll have, whether they’re visible to the enemy in any way, whether they’re destructible. We don’t know anything.

So wait before crying.

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

(edited by Ragnar.4257)

in WvW

Posted by: Nightingale.8364

Nightingale.8364

So i presume that there will we anti-traps so that we can trap the traps that we were supposed to trip?

in WvW

Posted by: Perceptor.7189

Perceptor.7189

come on, they just announce the trap thing and ppl are already qqing without knowing how they work!
I’m looking forward on the traps, with those, the mindless zerg groups are going to have a really bad time if they don’t check the path before moving to the next target….

Commander Morkdar – lvl 80 Engineer
Commander Roter Fangblood – lvl 80 Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Hyung.6140

Hyung.6140

Agreed with those saying “wait and see” – it could be really interesting, and force zergs to split up to get around traps, allowing all of us to reshape the battlefield somewhat. Not to mention the obvious idiocy in crying about something that we haven’t even seen or tried yet :p

Shame about the World XP tweaks being delayed though… as someone who plays a number of characters these days it’d be nice to see WXP ranks coming a little faster. But no worries either way.

—-
Hyinna, Gunnars Hold
[Ub] – My Life for Alesia

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Traps have potential and if implemented properly can be a very cool addition to WvW. However, it sounds like its going to be another Defensive tool. And right now Defense is running away, cackling madly and insanely, screaming “just try and get in!”.

Really, the defensive aspect in WvW doesnt need another tool or buff. So i do dearly hope that one of those other things that hasnt been outed yet is a a means to more easily attack a tower/keep. And mitigate the crazy Arrowcart spam at the moment.

It’s a gimmick, it’s just one more reason not for us to play the actual game with our characters.

Or, the fight between two armies became all that much more interesting as positioning can be a far bigger deal.

But, as i said, this depends on how they are implemented and if the WvW meta is more favorable to fighting outside of a tower or keep.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Another horrible idea by ANET. Sure, anti stealth sounds great, but this is just the start of new traps. All this does is make WvW more and more gimmicky. People WvW to fight players, not NPCs, or dumb traps.

in WvW

Posted by: Ghedoriah.4290

Ghedoriah.4290

I could be mistaken, but the mention of Outfitters makes it sound like it’s going to be tied into Keep/Tower upgrades and therefore is possibly just something you can set up within a particular upgraded structure.

Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Caid.4932

Caid.4932

At best they’ll be largely irrelevant, at worst they’ll be gamebreaking and make capping anything even more of a frustrating nightmare.
Meanwhile blobs and stupid lag inducing fights continue with no end in sight despite being an actual problem for months (who the kitten needs or wanted traps exactly?)

[Dius]

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@Devin, removing the jumping puzzle from EB? Finally! I do offer criticism when I disagree with a decision and think it is only fair to offer praise when I completely agree with a change that was made. Nice work.

in WvW

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

As long as the anti-stealth traps don’t affect my ability to gank upleveled rangers duel fairly, I won’t have a problem with them.

[AoN] All or Nothing

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

People WvW to fight players, not NPCs, or dumb traps.

Speak for yourself.

Not everyone wants WvW to be about zerg vs zerg open field fighting.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

All depends how it will be implemented. Stealth is already quite fragile and the thief class as a whole is of questionable value in WvW. Hopefully they keep this in mind.

in WvW

Posted by: Aneu.1748

Aneu.1748

Blatantly stolen from the VoTF MEME Department.

Attachments:

Aneu | [VoTF]
http://www.votf.net

in WvW

Mif.3471

Blatantly stolen from the VoTF QQ Department.

FTFY

in WvW

Aneu.1748

Blatantly stolen from the VoTF QQ Department.

FTFY

You’re mean.

Aneu | [VoTF]

in WvW

Posted by: Kebab.4013

Kebab.4013

trappers trapping trebs takes treb-trapping to totally terrific topical tiers. Trapping the trading-post transfers traffic to trappers trying to trade traps to trebbers thirsting to trap trappers. The trebbers trapping the trappers will transpire tomorrow. trapping traps transfers transfer tax to trampy tranquilizing tedious team of wvwvw developers.

in WvW

Posted by: Beachead.4127

Beachead.4127

Does Anet actually listen to the playerbase? No one asked for traps, or better arrowcarts.. A ton of great suggestions have come from this community and we get traps… traps, just wow.

You are killing the pvp in wvw. Its stale with no new content in site. Yet PvE gets new content monthly. We get traps and improved arrow carts which probably took a developer all of a day to program. Does Anet go OH LOOK its April 15th.. time to work on the WvW changes. End of day they are done with them back to all the PvE stuff.

I am sure a mod will delete my post because freedom of speech does not apply here and heaven forbid we criticize Anet.

Ullrok – Warrior
Ullrom – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: morastarna.6294

morastarna.6294

This is warfare. Seems to me they are giving us more tools closer to warfare. You have traps. You have siege. you have crap that hurts.

Last night I had a ton of fun. We had BG going after Bay with a huge zerg. We did great defense with AC while small havoc group was taking out their trebs. in between we got into small man skirmishes. We had to keep taking the supply camps in order to fund the Siege they were breaking of ours.

When I thought of WvWvW this is what I thought of. AC cars suck – but you learn to deal with them. Do other stuff.

To me its fun. I look forward to traps. Put traps around your keep that suck supply. So when they run up to spike your door with 4 Rams. You can’t really do it in 30 seconds and its slows the assault.

just saying sounds like a lot of fun!

in WvW

Posted by: Sojo.1405

Sojo.1405

Hey folks,

We can however officially let you know we are moving the jumping puzzle for EB into it’s own map, as this has been a much requested feature for our beloved siege fairing community.

Apologies for the hicup

So to be clear do you still have to queue to EB, run over to the puzzle then zone in? Or are we able to zone directly into the puzzle without touching EB queues or map? Have a feeling its the former but please consider the latter to truly minimize queues and map congestion!

in WvW

Posted by: Kebab.4013

Kebab.4013

Uhm….. I feel something.

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: Skythace.2345

Skythace.2345

If these traps somehow help 20-25 teams to engage 60-70 man blobs then go for it. If however once again even the little edge of the smaller group to veil it’s people to attack the blob is being taken away from them, then be sure people will be kitten . Pleeease think of the small teams too. Taking supply from them too seems unbelievable. It would be nice to have fights without any gimmicks. Even such a basic thing has become very rare.

Skythace
[TLA] Thousand Lakes Alliance
Desolation

(edited by Skythace.2345)

in WvW

Posted by: Nialls.2851

Nialls.2851

So EB JP is going to be its own zone… Sweet, now we can camp the zone-in portals, but can you zone due to combat? Interested to see the implementation.

Niles <TB> Elementalist – SoR
Nialls <TB>Thief – SoR

(edited by Nialls.2851)

in WvW

Posted by: Neandramathal.9536

Neandramathal.9536

People whined about consumables being taken out cos they gave more ‘versatile’ gameplay, so they give a replacement and it’s “OMG I DON’T WANT”.

I look forward to it, even if I love skirmishing the game is a siege game after all. People whine too much.

[GoV] Gnomes of Vabbi || [Imp] Impact
Currently @ Piken Square
Small scale unimpressive videos of unimpressiveness: http://www.youtube.com/neandramathal

in WvW

Posted by: Dynnen.6405

Dynnen.6405

This might help out small grp combat, give them something to actually build when baiting a zerg into a fight. I’ve suggested mines before, lets hope this is something similar.

in WvW

Mif.3471

Oh look, another thread for [VoTF] to endlessly troll because they haven’t got their way.

Intelligent posts stating your case are too hard right?

/yawn

in WvW

Posted by: garull.8956

garull.8956

Mesmers last month: WE SO FABULOUS!
Mesmers after the 14th: Confusion Nerf, Time Warp Nerf (but whatever), Mass invisible and Veil nerf (with anti-invisiblity traps). TIME TO USE MOA!

Decisive Gg [NS]

(edited by garull.8956)

in WvW

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

Pretty sure no one ever complained about removing consumables.
@garull mesmers had the most OP elites by far and they still do.

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in WvW

Aneu.1748

Oh look, another thread for [VoTF] to endlessly troll because they haven’t got their way.

Intelligent posts stating your case are too hard right?

/yawn

Actually we are attempting to make light of a situation that for all sense and purposes really goes against what we believe to be fun – Just like you we air our concerns via light hearted jokes and discussion as opposed to saying “screw this game”. I am sure you can appreciate that.

Aneu | [VoTF]

in WvW

Posted by: Hoka.7930

Hoka.7930

Hey folks,

It seems we inadvertently outed (some of) our plans for WvW with the above linked page. While we are looking to extend World XP changes for WvW in a later content patch, it still needs some tweaking and therefore isn’t ready to be introduced in this one.

We can however officially let you know we are moving the jumping puzzle for EB into it’s own map, as this has been a much requested feature for our beloved siege fairing community.

Apologies for the hicup

Why not fix the main problems first? instead of introducing all kind of new things which probaly has negative and positive sides?
Why Arena Net not listens to guilds and other good proposals from players who play like everyday and love to see other main problems fixed in WvW?
Why Arena Net Developers not try to play a few days in the borders with this guilds? to help improve the game on allot of points? Skillwise, Siegewise, Guildwise etc?

Second Law[Scnd] Hoka
Mesmer: Purify Ur Senses

in WvW

Posted by: ibajiah.5280

ibajiah.5280

Please Arenanet, stop trying to break the game by taking skill out of the players hands.

-Sincerely,
8+ Years Gw1 + Gw2 Player

Fort Aspenwood
Spirit of Faith [HOPE]

in WvW

Posted by: ChapDev.7650

ChapDev.7650

Well traps just seem like a terrible idea to begin with, why are we getting more things in WvW that allow the player to be lazy and let an inanimate object do the work for them?

Bad Looking Necro Tryhard [BLNT] ~ Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: playandchill.3908

playandchill.3908

Totally want to re-instal the game…..

See you end of June.

Maybe

[LANI] Multi glad pewpew

QUIT- RETIRED

in WvW

Posted by: Katsumoto.9452

Katsumoto.9452

Fantastic idea. Lets make it so that thieves cannot stealth anywhere! AC mastery in keeps, no stealth for you Mr Thief. Your class mechanic is redundant!

Now introducing traps, now the evil Thief has no access to his class mechanic anywhere on the map!

Seriously, kitten off.

Aurora Glade [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Having the mention of traps without any explanation of how they actually work is troublesome.

I buy a trap that removes supply from enemy players.
I see the enemy zerg hitting a supply camp.
I trap the road out of the supply camp with my handy-dandy anti-supply trap.
The zerg supplies itself and empties the camp, then heads out to hit Hills.
I laugh maniacally as the supply disappears from… 5 players? 10? Everyone?

Stealth trap doesn’t seem like nearly as big a deal as this, although I can say that it would encourage the zerg to take different paths.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

in WvW

Posted by: Hyung.6140

Hyung.6140

People whine too much.

Well, some people will be Vocal On The Forums.

Sometimes I get the feeling all some guilds want to do is put a Veil On The Floor and run around in a big invisible group.

Still, if they want to Vent Of Their Foolishness before we’ve even seen the changes then I hope they at least have lots of fun doing so ;p

And that everybody gives any changes that do come a chance to bed in so we can all find counters and enjoy a less stagnant WvW, which after all is what we’d all like!

(intended with a humorous playful poke to my friends from Virtually Overused This F Gimmick – was just amused to see you all so active straightaway in this thread <3)

Edit: In the spirit of lighthearted jokes as mentioned above by Aneu

—-
Hyinna, Gunnars Hold
[Ub] – My Life for Alesia

(edited by Hyung.6140)

in WvW

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

Why Arena Net Developers not try to play a few days in the borders with this guilds? to help improve the game on allot of points? Skillwise, Siegewise, Guildwise etc?

They do play, now since they often play on SoR we at BG make it a point to kill them at all costs.

Having the mention of traps without any explanation of how they actually work is troublesome.

I buy a trap that removes supply from enemy players.
I see the enemy zerg hitting a supply camp.
I trap the road out of the supply camp with my handy-dandy anti-supply trap.
The zerg supplies itself and empties the camp, then heads out to hit Hills.
I laugh maniacally as the supply disappears from… 5 players? 10? Everyone?

Stealth trap doesn’t seem like nearly as big a deal as this, although I can say that it would encourage the zerg to take different paths.

It would seem to be an idea to break up blob effectiveness. The trap is a non-issue if one person is designated test dummy but the more you have to spread out, the easier it is for smaller groups to catch a tail or split the zerg.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

(edited by Vena.8436)

in WvW

Posted by: vex.3482

vex.3482

traps looks interesting and I saw other day you get like 5 wvw xp for destroying cata so should be ok to get some xp if you build something

now even breathing in wvw will give you xp tbh I like it

meh

in WvW

Posted by: Katsumoto.9452

Katsumoto.9452

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/may-14-2013/

Anti stealth traps. But I have another suggestion, lets make traps balanced.

Anti class mechanic traps! No virtues, burst skills/adrenaline regen, death shroud, attunement swapping, shattering, pets or pet abilities, toolbelt skills or stealth.

Seriously sod off Anet with this crap. AC’s have made a thief even worse in a siege now because we cannot output our damage vs those defending with AC mastery, nor survive because we don’t have a key heal (heal in stealth) or target breaks. Now you want to introduce traps so we can’t even see we’re walking into a potentially class mechanic slaughtering thing?

So many traits are based on stealth that to deny it to us is literally breaking it. Sad thing is even if it removed virtues etc as I just said jokingly, thief would still fare worse than the other classes in a trap field.

Aurora Glade [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Yeah, removing supply trap is going to kitten everyone off. Bad idea.

It annoys me enough when I forget to resupply. Now I do resupply and am approaching my objective that needs supply and wtf? Where’d my supply go?

in WvW

Posted by: Hoka.7930

Hoka.7930

They do play, now since they often play on SoR we at BG make it a point to kill them at all costs.

They also should play in Europe for example with RG, SiN, Scnd, HoB, VII, GH, VotF, ZD’s and more guilds like that (sorry if i forgot anyone no offence).

Second Law[Scnd] Hoka
Mesmer: Purify Ur Senses

in WvW

Posted by: rmBossa.4621

rmBossa.4621

-Thinks its a comment addressing the broken thief mechanic known as “traps”— sees its a new mechanic allowing all players to de-stealth other players -

Attachments:

(edited by rmBossa.4621)

in WvW

Aneu.1748

People whine too much.

Well, some people will be Vocal On The Forums.

Sometimes I get the feeling all some guilds want to do (or can do?!) is put a Veil On The Floor and run around in a big invisible group.

Still, if they want to Vent Of Their Foolishness before we’ve even seen the changes then I hope they at least have lots of fun doing so ;p

And that everybody gives any changes that do come a chance to bed in so we can all find counters and enjoy a less stagnant WvW, which after all is what we’d all like!

(intended with a humorous playful poke to my friends from Virtually Overused This F Gimmick – was just amused to see you all so active straightaway in this thread <3)

Edit: In the spirit of lighthearted jokes as mentioned above by Aneu

We feel quite strongly about GW2 after so many games have failed over the past few years in terms of giving players like ourselves something to actually sink our teeth into. Now that the real action seems to be getting dumbed down and actual fighting is taking place between objects as opposed to players we are going to make sure our voice is heard and that our objections understood.

Players should fight players, siege shouldnt fight players (it should be a tool that assists players but doesnt do all the fighting itself) power creep should attempt to be kept as low as possible while introducing new features and the players should be listened to. There is no reason why both sides of this arguement cannot have what they want! Introduce the following:

>Reduce Keep Points by 10.
>Introduce “King of the hill” points on the map worth 10 points each(3) on EB and 5 each(6) on Borderlands.

The game will still heavily be in favour of tower/keep points however this will mean that open field battles will actually be worth something. Placement is obviously quite important of these “battle points” but essentially this gives both game play styles the ability to be worthwhile additions to WvW. This means siege and skirmish guilds will be required to work together in order to maintain maximum PPT. 6 points should be added to Borderlands while only 3 should be added to EB (due to the lack of sufficient places to put them – but EB battle zones should be larger than those in the BL).

Each zone in EB will be worth 10 points while each point in the borderlands will be worth 5 points. The northern spawn server will have a slight advantage on the map due to two points being placed closer to their spawn than the enemies but this will give those small 5 – 10 man teams something to do and work towards.

The other HUGE advantage this will give is that forces will be required to split up since there are far more objectives to achieve than previously and a single or even dual zerg will not be able to counter attacks to all of them.

Pic1 – EB – http://votf-online.net/gw2/EB.png
Pic2 – BL – http://votf-online.net/gw2/BL.png

taken from source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Boredom-Reduction-Playstyle-Balance/first

Attachments:

Aneu | [VoTF]

(edited by Aneu.1748)

in WvW

Posted by: Nialls.2851

Nialls.2851

Still no Ascended items for the second class citizens of WvW…

Niles <TB> Elementalist – SoR
Nialls <TB>Thief – SoR

in WvW

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

They also should play in Europe for example with RG, SiN, Scnd, HoB, VII, GH, VotF and more guilds like that (sorry if i forgot anyone no offence).

The ones I see play in SEAS and NA prime, hard for them to play on EU brackets when they are asleep during that time. :p But instead they can play with our (JQ, SoR, and BG) neat guilds.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: ChapDev.7650

ChapDev.7650

Thinks its a comment addressing the broken thief mechanic known as “traps”— sees its a new mechanic allowing all players to de-stealth other players

I thought the same for a while which is a shame, I’d like to see Trap Thieves.

Bad Looking Necro Tryhard [BLNT] ~ Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Traps sounds like a really bad idea on paper, as there are many obvious paths in WvW, but I hope it turns out good.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in WvW

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

PLEASE stop adding useless crap to WvW that just makes it even more unbalanced. Thanks.

I think that ship sailed when Thieves were added, sorry.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in WvW

Posted by: modus.7921

modus.7921

They also should play in Europe for example with RG, SiN, Scnd, HoB, VII, GH, VotF and more guilds like that (sorry if i forgot anyone no offence).

The ones I see play in SEAS and NA prime, hard for them to play on EU brackets when they are asleep during that time. :p But instead they can play with our (JQ, SoR, and BG) neat guilds.

EU Prime happens during the middle of the US workday. Seems like a fairly ideal time of day for them to get constructive playtime.

in WvW

Posted by: PolishSausage.1279

PolishSausage.1279

Well traps just seem like a terrible idea to begin with, why are we getting more things in WvW that allow the player to be lazy and let an inanimate object do the work for them?

You’re talking about a game mode where one person can just join up with a large group of a hundred others and just leech off what they accomplish for an hour or two. Please stop talking.

in WvW

Posted by: Jacklo.4230

Jacklo.4230

Somebody already mentioned it but think about it…

A trap that removes all supplies from everyone in a small area – think zerg.
Tactically placed, this could really help to split up the blobs, although they could just put someone on “point” to trigger the trap before the zerg gets there.

A trap that triggers when more than x number of players are in the area might be a better idea, or a variety of traps to include the zerg trap.

This idea just needs some tuning.