Update: No WvW Rating Reset

in WvW

Posted by: Xenth.2408

Xenth.2408

I have a pretty simple solution to combat potential blowouts the first week and beyond. A server’s ranking can’t adjust more than two positions at a time. If by points a server would increase rank by 3 or more spots, their point total would be equal to the server 3 spots ahead of them (or below them in the reverse scenario) but placement would be directly under (or above in the reverse) that server for the following week.

It may not be the best solution but it could work in stabalizing ranks for the first week or two. After that things should be balanced enough that they could go back to how the system works normally.

Maybe I’m wrong in my thinking. But whether I’m right or wrong I doubt Anet will do this, so it’s kind of a mute point.

in WvW

Posted by: Nymph of Meliai.6739

Nymph of Meliai.6739

Not to mention that players that only play during the night (like myself and many many others) due to many RL reasons, would be unfarly wronged.

That is not how it would work at all… it is the server that will not score as highly during those times rather than the individual players. Individual players would still receive the same amount of karma and xp.

Nymeria Meliae | SoS
Acid Bath Babies Go Plop Plop [FizZ]

in WvW

Posted by: Nuvo.5014

Nuvo.5014

This is the way Anet want to kill wvw. 2 month till we have good matches again

in WvW

Posted by: MRA.4758

MRA.4758

Whats up with the original plan of two weeks matches?

This plan has been discarded some while ago, when almost everybody agreed that one week fights were the right thing to do (not to long, can start right at the beginning of the weekend, etc.). I tend to agree.

~MRA

IGN: Peavy (Asuran Engineer)
Tyrian Intelligence Agency [TIA]
Dies for Riverside on a regular basis, since the betas

in WvW

Posted by: Kyuzo.4675

Kyuzo.4675

Why does everyone assume that the “reset” for the new ratings system will mean that ANET just randomly assigns servers to tiers?

Mike Ferguson said “….If it helps, think of the last few months as the preseason games that determined the initial seedings for the season opener (to use a really generic sports metaphor that is in no way indicative of future plans)……”

Which in the first sentence sounds like they will use current predictive match-ups for the reset (which makes perfect sense) but then he covers his bases by parenthetically sayings it was just a metaphor that is not indicative of future plans. (sigh) I guess we will just have to wait and see though I don’t understand why they wouldn’t just explain the first match-ups and remove all the guess work.

[AD] Devona’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: Reslinal.2359

Reslinal.2359

I really hope ANET listens to the community this time instead of going headstrong into this idea of having 1 week long matches reset. The developers are taking a huge unnecessary risk with their decision. If the community is against it and they decide to do this anyway, in case it does cause month long suffering for most of the servers, this moment will be remembered by players as GW2’s equivalent to SWG’s NGE legacy.

Blackgate Engineer

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Changing the math doesn’t address either of the two issues I raised in the post just before yours … unless by changing the math you mean changing the rating system itself. If all you do is alter the parameters you’ve been using in the Glicko-2 system you won’t have fixed anything. Three well-matched servers in the same tier will NEVER break out of that tier unless something dramatic happens in the tier above or below them to kick on of them out, and in the “ideal” case where all tiers are perfectly balanced matches each week there will be no movement at all even if servers in lower tiers become more proficient (or even more populated) than servers in upper tiers.

You need to change the system, not just the math.

Two things:

Why is that a problem? If the servers are evenly matched, they’re still receiving a solid WvW matchup and experience, which is the entire purpose of the ratings system. It does not exist to show “who’s the best.” That’s stupid and pointless. The purpose of the ratings system is to ensure competitive matchups. In your extremely unlikely scenario (anything that results in an imbalanced match would allow a server to advance, so the only situation is one where all three servers become “better” at almost the exact same rate while all other servers stay the same) the matchup is still competitive. It doesn’t really matter if they’re competitive in T5 instead of T4.

What’s the better option? I’ve seen countless complaints about the Glicko-2 system, but the only suggestion for replacing it is that atrocity of an idea of “winner advances, loser falls.” As has been pointed out time and again, that system is completely worthless and only guarantees non-competitive matchups. So what’s this other option that would be so much better than the one people constantly rail against?

Personally, I ONLY care about having balanced matchups … I really couldn’t care less about which tier I am in. But it’s pretty obvious that many players do very much care about which tier they are in and I suspect that they view upward migration as a form of progression and status. There are hundreds of posts here in the forums that clearly express that view of WvW.

But my real point was simply to illustrate how poorly the system currently works. It is a fundamental flaw in ANet’s rating system that none of the three servers in a well balanced tier will move in either direction unless something dramatic (and beyond their control) happens in a different tier. While my hypothetical example of all tiers being balanced is highly unlikely, we have had several examples where servers in any particular tier have had to blowout the other two servers to break out of that tier … only to quickly move up some more places once they got into the next higher tier. It is undeniable that tiers subvert the Glicko-2 rating system. If you’re going to have a rating system it should at least do a proper job of rating.

I agree that “winner up, loser down” is a horrible alternative. It pretty much guarantees unbalanced matches most of the time unless all the servers in a region are approximately equal in population and proficiency. That happens in Euroleague, where every team has the exact same number of players and similar access to skill and coaching, but that isn’t the case at all in GW2 WvW.

As far as what might actually work better, I’d be really surprised if ANet did not have access to player demographic data that shows exactly how many players from each server participate in WvW at each hour of the day/night. At the very least they could factor that into tier assignments … maybe even synchronizing the lock for weekly server transfers to the weekly WvW reset with enough lead time to do the necessary calculations. They could even add a factor for subjective assessments of each server. If those of us on these forums are able to develop a pretty good idea of which servers are stronger than others you would hope that somebody at ANet was capable of doing the same thing … all evidence to the contrary, of course.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Nuvo.5014

Nuvo.5014

What I see right now is Anet saying, we don’t mind ur oponion as a community.

in WvW

Posted by: Joiry.2504

Joiry.2504

Why does everyone assume that the “reset” for the new ratings system will mean that ANET just randomly assigns servers to tiers?

Mike Ferguson said “….If it helps, think of the last few months as the preseason games that determined the initial seedings for the season opener (to use a really generic sports metaphor that is in no way indicative of future plans)……”

Which in the first sentence sounds like they will use current predictive match-ups for the reset (which makes perfect sense) but then he covers his bases by parenthetically sayings it was just a metaphor that is not indicative of future plans. (sigh) I guess we will just have to wait and see though I don’t understand why they wouldn’t just explain the first match-ups and remove all the guess work.

Its not the first (reset) week matchup people are concerned about. I think everyone understands the first matchups will be the same as if the rating points remained, just they will be set to 1500 each.

Ie, JQ, SoR and SoS will be in the rank 1 matchup after the point reset (assuming current scores hold). That first week will be fine. Its the next several weeks which will be ridiculously unbalanced. The loser(s) of the first week T1 match may find itself in T6, T7 or even T8, against servers which they will steamroll. And a low tier/pop server may find itself in the top tiers. Mid tier servers that happen to lose will be down in the lower tiers, probably getting steamrolled in the second week by the artificially fallen high tier servers, forcing them in low tiers for extra weeks until they can finally climb back to their deserved position.

Who the reset really benefits is servers in too low of a tier (cough, Kaineng), rocket them to first place, where they will get a few weeks to build up a ratings buffer facing servers that shouldn’t be up there until their real competition climbs back up.

in WvW

Cactus.2710

Here’s another problem with how the Glicko-2 system works. It includes a “volatility” factor that penalizes any deviation from historical performance. During a blowout it is typical for the player base on the losing server to mostly disappear for the rest of the week while they wait for a more balanced matchup, and since their score now is significantly different than their history they get dinged additional rating points. Maybe demotivated players SHOULD be penalized for being fairweather warriors, but the fact remains that their rating no longer reflects how they would perform in a properly balanced match. The only way to minimize that effect is to build lots of delay into the Glicko-2 system (i.e., your score still reflects what you did several weeks ago against other servers in other tiers), but now that makes the system unresponsive to demographic changes (population or 24/7 profile).

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Cactus.2710

Its not the first (reset) week matchup people are concerned about. I think everyone understands the first matchups will be the same as if the rating points remained, just they will be set to 1500 each.

Ie, JQ, SoR and SoS will be in the rank 1 matchup after the point reset (assuming current scores hold). That first week will be fine. Its the next several weeks which will be ridiculously unbalanced. The loser(s) of the first week T1 match may find itself in T6, T7 or even T8, against servers which they will steamroll. And a low tier/pop server may find itself in the top tiers. Mid tier servers that happen to lose will be down in the lower tiers, probably getting steamrolled in the second week by the artificially fallen high tier servers, forcing them in low tiers for extra weeks until they can finally climb back to their deserved position.

Who the reset really benefits is servers in too low of a tier (cough, Kaineng), rocket them to first place, where they will get a few weeks to build up a ratings buffer facing servers that shouldn’t be up there until their real competition climbs back up.

^This

more characters

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Kyuzo.4675

Kyuzo.4675

I missed the part where anet said that they will give each server 1500 points. And I have no idea what kind of math and adjustments they are making the their system to arrange the next match-ups though they have said that there will be weeks of adjustment.

[AD] Devona’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: Joiry.2504

Joiry.2504

I missed the part where anet said that they will give each server 1500 points. And I have no idea what kind of math and adjustments they are making the their system to arrange the next match-ups though they have said that there will be weeks of adjustment.

It may not be 1500 points, its whatever the system was originally started out. That’s what reset means. I don’t recall the exact value, but several posters have used it.

The exact value doesn’t matter, 1000, a billion, just that everyone’s rating will be the same, but the matchups will be based on the last ratings before they are reset. There will be at least 1 server in each tier that will have less than N rating (N being whatever the reset value is) and at least 1 that will have more. So in the week 2 bottom tiers, there will be at least one current tier 1 server, at least one tier 2, etc. And vice versa for the top tiers in week two.

You’ll have upper tier servers not advancing out of the lowe tiers for a while because they are facing other upper tier servers down their. Like I said, it’ll be roughest on the mid tier servers who lose the first week matchup, because they have to wait for the upper tier servers to advance and enough low tier servers to fall back down.

Maybe Anet’s new adjustments will make this all go very quickly. But I remain skeptical. I do dislike the stagnation that’s happened with the current system, but just up and shaking the snowglobe isn’t the answer.

I think what may be needed is like 3 leagues. First league with the top 6 servers, second the “mid” 9 servers, and the third with the bottom 9 servers (ideally an even split, but would need 27 servers). Then within the league the matchups are more fluid, and if you’re doing especially good, you can promote out and the worst server in the higher league gets demoted.

Edit – hmmm, or 4 leagues of 6 servers each. The weekly matchups determined both by how well each server did plus a factor that makes sure each of the six servers faces each of the others a few times. Then each month, check to see if some servers need to be promoted or demoted to a league above or below them.

(edited by Joiry.2504)

in WvW

Cactus.2710

As I said earlier, if several weeks of adjustment after a reset for everyone to 1500 points is a faster path to balanced matchups than the current rating system would be even after the math adjustments, there is something dramatically wrong.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Allilliawen.7104

Allilliawen.7104

After reading this thread and seeing first hand what it’s like to turn-out week after week against far superior numbers I can say: it just isn’t fun.

While it will simply be another month of this if SBI is matched against Worlds with well organised zergs, it won’t help us at all even if it just drops us faster to T8. At least the slow drop allowed those who were still fighting, to fight for something: the history.

Take away the history (rating) and then it will be only the memories of players left.

For those few brave stayers from T1, we might even lose a few more because serious WvWers may simply not find it worth another month of disappointment. Even those hardened against the losses may find yet another month to reach our tier, far too long.

While paid transfers may deter the casual player, those who are serious about their WvW might not take the same view and decide to leave for Worlds with fairer odds.

It’s true SBI probably can’t suffer much more than it has: there seems so few left of us to care, I’m not sure it’s going to benefit other struggling Worlds in WvW. Those that haven’t transferred already have likely chosen to remain on T5 or lower servers.

Even on Worlds who are rising; they might be in no hurry to be matched higher sooner, given it can take time to pull together enough players who know and follow the tactics required to make playing in higher tiers fun.

So having experienced first-hand, over a month of play against the odds, and seeing the damage it can do to a small or struggling player-base I don’t see how this will help struggling Worlds at all. If anything this will only hurt those lower tier Worlds who’ve finally gotten together enough players to organise a fair match against similarly tiered Worlds. For those Worlds who stars are rising, but not yet ready for higher tiers, they may find themselves in matches before they’re ready and that likely won’t help them enjoy the game more either.

Storm Bluff Isle (ED)

in WvW

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

After taking everything in, here is my conclusion for the best overall system.

1) Bi-Daily server rank adjustment. So every 2 days servers might move up or down a tier.
2) Winner server moves up a tier. Loser server moves down a tier.
3) Total annual score rallied up for playoffs. The playoff/championship ranking is determined by annual total score. Top 9 teams enter the playoffs for 2 rounds. (1vs8v9, 2vs6vs7, 3vs4vs5). The winners of 1st round moves to round 2.
4) Your servers get bonus annual points for winning in a higher tier (e.g. 30k for tier 1, 15k for tier 2, 7.5k for tier 3). You get a smaller bonus for being 2nd place in a tier(e.g. 10k for tier 1, 5k for tier2, 2.5k for tier 3). No bonus for the loser. This means you cannot lose on purpose to pick on smaller servers. You also want to stay in a higher tier for the higher bonuses.

-This means that everyday in wvw is important. Tiers might be changed very quickly.
-Server will no longer be stuck in the wrong tier (either too high or too low) for weeks.
-Servers will face new opponents all the time. This makes wvw more interesting.
-When playoff/championship happens, it is determined by the total annual score. What that means is that you always want to get as many points as possible. But at the same time as you win, you will face harder and harder opponents. So the only way to get ahead is to beat the opponents of your level.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

in WvW

Posted by: pot.6805

pot.6805

Thank you for doing this reset. Now servers with hugely inflated ratings have to prove themselves.

BeeGee
Beast mode

in WvW

Posted by: fishergrip.4082

fishergrip.4082

Thank you for doing this reset. Now servers with hugely inflated ratings have to prove themselves.

I’m not sure why so many people think this reset will “prove” anything. I guarantee you the T1 level servers—JQ, SoR, SoS and Blackgate—will obliterate everyone else. The only question mark right now is Kaineng.

It seems to me the only ones who really want this reset are low Tier servers who are, ironically, in the most balanced matchups right now outside of Tier 1 and people who are just fed up with facing the same servers over and over again in general. I agree that the system could be looked at to allow for more movement of servers up and down between tiers, but this not the right way to go about it. All this will do is make absurdly unbalanced matchups for a couple months, only to put us right back into the matchups we are already going to be in within the next week or two.

Maid Of The Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Dyngrin.5738

Dyngrin.5738

How could the result of a single match up after a ratings reset produce closer match ups than the current ratings do?

Resetting the ratings is also a dangerous precedent. If reset now, shouldn’t we expect ratings to be reset again in the future for any reason?

The goal of the ratings should be to produce as many close match ups (tiers) as possible so players can enjoy the competition and every server can have a chance at winning their tier and thereby possibly advance to the next tier. A reset of the ratings works against this goal since it throws away all the results of previous match ups as though they are meaningless just because there are no longer free transfers.

ArenaNet should go ahead and change the math so it more accurately and more quickly changes ratings, but the initial ratings with the new math should be the current ratings. By using the current ratings there won’t be several weeks of arbitrary tier blowouts, and continuity will be preserved from previous ratings and match ups.

Scout Dyn, Engineer, Furious Pantaloons, Jade Quarry

aka Friar/Baronet/Disciple/Warlord Dyn

in WvW

CHIPS.6018

We would have tactics like “hey lets not log on so they win less points”

It wouldn’t be to the degree that the outmanned team would be winning in points, they would still be winning immensely in PPT, but the outmanned team would now have incentive to flip sentries and kill yaks and flip towers since it actually contributes.

Not to mention that players that only play during the night (like myself and many many others) due to many RL reasons, would be unfarly wronged.

I addressed that and said it is the vital point against such a system. It isn’t anyone’s fault that one timezone outnumbers another, it is a numbers game after all, but it is also somewhat unfair to the outnumbered because they essentially have that aspect of the game removed for them. Hence the reason for the discussion about ways to counter this.

It is better to assume this is a 24h 365 days war game and stop crying about it.

No crying to be had, merely hypothetical situations and how they would play out. Trying to better a community that I love.

Sorry won’t work. When I was playing CS one of my clanmates said the following statement about knife vs gun:

“I knifed you 5 times and you shot me only 10 times, so I owned you”

Nope. The side that wins (e.g. higher score) should be considered the winner. It doesn’t matter what disadvantage the losing side has to face.

What the system can do though is put the people with disadvantages (only have a knife) against each other, instead of facing people with advantages (have a gun).

in WvW

CHIPS.6018

I am ok with ANet ignoring server rating and manually selecting match ups from educated guess from data they have, but I am not sure if this is the case. They didn’t explain. If they are simply resetting rating and pretty much randomly matching servers then I completely oppose. Would this meas T1 may end up fighting with T4, T6 servers? I don’t think so.

The 3rd place from T1 might face the 3rd place of T5 and T8. That sounds like fun.

in WvW

Posted by: pulsecodesgnl.3470

pulsecodesgnl.3470

I am looking forward to a system that allows us to switch tiers more fluidly. Sorrow’s Furnace is a heavily PvE based server. Every time a major world event takes place (e.g. Mad King, Karka, Wintersday) we drop hard in the number of players participating in WvW, every world event has lead to our rankings diminishing significantly. After this Wintersday event (which lasted way too long in my opinion) we lost a lot of ranking points, as soon as that was over, our WvW players came back in, and we have been wiping the floor with ET and Ferguson’s the last few weeks. It’s not fun at all tbh.

ET and Ferg have some great fights at times, but when our server actually plays, we are definitely not in the final tier, and I’m sure it’s not very fun for ET or Ferg either, though probably more so for them than it is for us.

Just compare the data for the final three servers on mos.millenium:
http://mos.millenium.org/matchups/evolution/na

I think most servers were negatively affected by the guilds that xferred to Kaineng a month and a half ago. It added a lot detrimental ranking values that have been hard to dig out of, and most servers have been stuck since trying to dig their way back to the tier they were at beforehand.

I actually prefer to be on the losing side of a weekly WvW match, it makes going into enemy territory that much more fun, holding keeps and towers that much more worthwhile and entertaining. I would not mind being steamrolled every now and then if it allows more fluidity with servers in general.

Voxtr | Svell | Kvikr | Svass | Sundr | Naud | Kvedja | Traust
Sorrow’s Furnace – Commander/Officer
Kabal of the Righteous [Seed]

in WvW

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

I’d like to see this be an annual event, at the very least.

in WvW

Posted by: Proumbro.1376

Proumbro.1376

Sorry won’t work. When I was playing CS one of my clanmates said the following statement about knife vs gun:

“I knifed you 5 times and you shot me only 10 times, so I owned you”

Nope. The side that wins (e.g. higher score) should be considered the winner. It doesn’t matter what disadvantage the losing side has to face.

What the system can do though is put the people with disadvantages (only have a knife) against each other, instead of facing people with advantages (have a gun).

I do agree with you, as I don’t see this scenario happening. However, I was humoring someone with a hypothetical situation which would be the most likely to occur (imo) if we were trying to fix the problem. However, Anet has repeatedly stated that night capping just happens, we aren’t fixing anything about it.

However, it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth that WvW could potentially be taken off the table for those in the outmanned hours. I wish there was a way to give the WvW experience to those people.

EDIT: However, however however however <—- thrown in for good measure…

Shiro No Shinigami – Necro
“Life is a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth.”

in WvW

Posted by: vanzan.1250

vanzan.1250

If your server was PvDoor or being rolled for 4 weeks whilst things stabalized what would you do?

- Suck it up and just do it. Sit in WvW doing nothing and getting bored
- Go do some PVE
- Do real world stuff
- Try out other games and betas

in WvW

Posted by: PhilipRed.9473

PhilipRed.9473

So… this week nobody is going to fight for points, nobody wants to go up in tier and have a hard fight next week… unfortunately my server has already enough points to get to tier 1… so we are fighting against T1 servers from zero, we will propably go to t4, t5, or t6 and then about a month of no-resistance fights till we get to our tier again… sounds really fair, and fun!

in WvW

Posted by: Chris goes Frontline.1853

Chris goes Frontline.1853

72 hour matchups please, takes way to long if mismatches last a whole week, for several weeks in a row. Top tiers will get bored, low tiers gonna ragequit.

Stewardess
Playing a Game [TaG]

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

So does the reset take into account what tier you are in to start with? What is to protect a T8 server that has a blowout and getting lots of points, from being placed higher than a T1 that suffers a loss and because of tight competition does not get many points?

The thing that bothers me about the reset is that it was announced yesterday, after transfer ended. Due to the volatility of servers due to the end of transfers, we finally made our last transfer based on what server will give us the most fighting in the next month, as a best guess. If needed we would transfer again, once servers settled down.

A lot of thought went into that decision and now, its basically all wasted effort since the applecart is going to get tossed on its side and the servers all shuffled. I would rather we had known before hand so we could make the best decision we could, given that scenario.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

In essence this gives every world a chance to start fresh now that everyone is on their ‘real’ team and will help protect against worlds in a state of flux being involved in consecutive blowouts for weeks on end in the future.

By resetting the rankings you are going to create many weeks of repeated blowouts.

Whereas you might have had blowouts for some of the up and coming servers you are now adding blowouts across the entire list.

Please demonstate how a ranking reset will be better over the next 4-6 weeks compared to not resetting the ranking (with you making an educated guess to who wins and by how much).

in WvW

Posted by: Acidphase.6520

Acidphase.6520

The “some” of the people that are complaining are the ones that switched servers multiple times for easy street as well. Now they’re mad cause they have to work at it rather than just transfer servers. I’m Surprised Anet didn’t take the time and review people transfers along with their wvw activity and sent them back to their original server lol.

“Want to move servers just to be on the better wvw server then pay for it”
If people spent less time tryign to get to a #1 server and instead inspire the server they’re already on things would be much more matched up.

So the reset should solve this issue putting the top servers that people hopped on at war with one another and no more face rolling.

One other point you also have people changing servers just to get Map completion done and want nothing to do with WvW at all. I think Anet made a miss calculation on this part because now you have to rely on your entire server to complete something.

I like WvW and PvP in general but PvP and PvE should never be mixed up with one another in situations like this.

The most Obvious is that it’s unfair to both the people who want to WvW and they’re stuck waiting in cue because of group of people are just there to get done their Map Completion and two it’s unfair to the PvE crowd depending on the WvW crowd.

(Logically you would think the PvE crowd while there would help out to make Map completion easier but some people just wont be bothered)

][ Gentoo x86_64 ][ Windows 7 x64][ AMD FX-8150 @4ghz ][
][ 16GB G.Skill @1866Mhz Unganged ][
][ HD Radeon 5970 & 5870 (Tri-Fire) ][ X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro ][

(edited by Acidphase.6520)

in WvW

Posted by: THACO.7021

THACO.7021

I Relise im pretty new to Guild Wars 2 but this news is good to me, Aparently for the past month just about my Server (Northern Peaks) Has been getting dominated by the 2 other Servers (Anvil and Boris Pass? I beleve) Where its not uncommon to see it being 80 (Us) vs like 270/300 Them, on a good day we will hit 200 for about an hour or two before droping Drasticly once again.

So to me this Re-set and the possibility of facing 2 different servers is a blessing if you ask me.

in WvW

Posted by: Ivano.2604

Ivano.2604

here is an idea… why not make the points equate somehow to the number of opponents on the map… so you score less if there are fewer opponents to fight and score more if there are greater numbers of opponents. That would equate to servers being placed according to player skill rather than making it a numbers game.

Awesome, also just not limiting the matter on a “scoring calculation” issue but implement real tactic related features upon same number consideration.

You may have 4 kind of boons based on difference of population at that given time:

Outmanned 2:1

Supply carrying capabilities +5
Strenght of siege equipment +20%
Resistance of fort/keep/camps +20%
Npc guards +10% power +10% defence
and so on…

Outmanned 3:1

Supply carrying capabilities +8
Strenght of siege equipment +40%
Resistance of fort/keep/camps +30%
Npc guards +15% power +15% defence
and so on…

until last Outmanned 6 or more:1

Supply carrying capabilities +15
Strenght of siege equipment +100%
Resistance of fort/keep/camps +100%
Npc guards +100% power +100% defence
and so on…

That of course would make up of FoW the server with the most advanced war artillery and elite NPC guards of all time lol

Just an idea, but honestly some of us is really tired to see WvW experience just a “numbers based” game, and please refrain yourself to comment on this adding your “proactive advanced warfare tactics” since there is no such a thing right now anywhere..

On the other hands ofc, zerg vs zerg still have some shadows of tactics eventually, but this world vs world thing, i believe, is capable to offer much more than that, as in its beutiful design and overall gameplay.

Elite PvP Raiders [PvP] – Fissure of Woe
Kaosberg De Lay
Deflora Pulzelle

in WvW

Posted by: Saweth You Him.9047

Saweth You Him.9047

We are going to have the same match-up next week as we did this week except our rating will be reset to 1500? Well reset will sure be boring. The week after 1vs1 with one server spectating. Week after blowout. Week after hopefully back to business as usual.

so sayeth the great innuendo

in WvW

Cactus.2710

The people that are complaining are the ones that switched servers multiple times for easy street as well. Now they’re mad cause they have to work at it rather than just transfer servers.

Bullkitten. I’ve been on Devona’s Rest since launch and couldn’t care less which tier I am in, but I do want to be in balanced matches. I’m intelligent enough to see the inherent flaws in the system that ANet is using and the likely effects that resetting every server is going to cause. Just because you are unable to do so doesn’t mean that everyone else is lazy.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: SmokeyNYY.7841

SmokeyNYY.7841

Thanks A-net for making this weeks WvW completely irrelevant. I am so freaking bored right now and everyone is tanking their match to try and get into a lower tier for the ratings reset. Just a brilliant idea.

in WvW

Posted by: Acidphase.6520

Acidphase.6520

The people that are complaining are the ones that switched servers multiple times for easy street as well. Now they’re mad cause they have to work at it rather than just transfer servers.

Bullkitten. I’ve been on Devona’s Rest since launch and couldn’t care less which tier I am in, but I do want to be in balanced matches. I’m intelligent enough to see the inherent flaws in the system that ANet is using and the likely effects that resetting every server is going to cause. Just because you are unable to do so doesn’t mean that everyone else is lazy.

Who said I was lazy about it , I stated I like WvW and have been playing it reagrdless of rank as I could care less about rank lol.

Don’t assume , it makes an kitten u-me.

I didn’t say all the people that were complaining the fact is people server hoping cause this mess in the first place. So servers that were once well ranked don;t have the same people that made it that Rank. It’s a really simple concept. Don’t get mad at me for something I didn’t code and take advantage of lol.

Lets not jump down peoples throats people and flame the forums it never makes anything better. Hopefully the reset will balance things. (I think it will)

][ Gentoo x86_64 ][ Windows 7 x64][ AMD FX-8150 @4ghz ][
][ 16GB G.Skill @1866Mhz Unganged ][
][ HD Radeon 5970 & 5870 (Tri-Fire) ][ X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro ][

in WvW

Posted by: treyalsup.4627

treyalsup.4627

If it helps, think of the last few months as the preseason games that determined the initial seedings for the season opener (to use a really generic sports metaphor that is in no way indicative of future plans).

Okay, if this is the case, shouldn’t a top tier server be grouped with one bottom tier server and one statistically average server? That’s what any logical seeding would do.

People are interpreting the original post, rightly or wrongly, to mean that the 3 highest ranked servers will be matched against each other initially, with the potential to knock some very good servers into a very poor ranking after the first week.

This obviously creates some perverse incentives to drop rank prior to the reset.

in WvW

Posted by: Xaaz.8472

Xaaz.8472

It’s almost comical how some servers are not even bothering this week now so they can drop a tier. Starting at a lower tier with a reset ranking will have them demolishing people and shoot straight to the top while damaging the servers they will be fighting by dropping them much lower than they should be.

Reverse this stupid decision to reset the ranks. This is only going to further hurt this already horrible WvW rating system.

in WvW

Posted by: Label.9036

Label.9036

Good idea but …

1°) Some servers are losing so deliberate since yesterday because they want to meet lower realms at next reset.

2°) Whiteside Ridge will be certainly first euro next week very interesting …

Label – Elementalist
[HUP]Visunah Square

in WvW

Posted by: dirtyoldgoat.5496

dirtyoldgoat.5496

Good idea but …

1°) Some servers are losing so deliberate since yesterday because they want to meet lower realms at next reset.

2°) Whiteside Ridge will be certainly first euro next week very interesting …

So SOR’ing the rankings has already started to spread? Disturbing.

Fallendruid, White Lighter, The Native Sun
PINK is the new Black
Tarnished Coast (via Tyranny)

in WvW

Posted by: Nozzie.2067

Nozzie.2067

I can understand the reason for Anet wanting a Ratings Reset but I can’t say I’m thrilled with the idea. My server, Yak’s Bend, has already had several weeks of obviously unbalanced match-ups. Our next match-up looked like we would finally be getting some semblance of balance in Tier 4. Then the reset was announced.

I hope that details such as WvW player participation numbers & timezone coverage will factor into the match-up selection as, unless there have been further massive transfers over the last few days, there are many match-ups that just should not take place. It would be nice to think that numbers don’t matter but that would be naive. A one sided match is not fun for anyone & only hurts the game.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

First, a big thank you for changing the system. In its current state, it is not working for anyone.

Second, this has been discussed multiple times, but why have a “rating” system at all? Just follow the winner moves up, loser moves down methodology. Regardless of how even the match is, it is boring to play the same server more than 2 weeks in a row.

Third, this has also been discussed earlier in the thread, but definitely change the outmanned buffs approach. Instead of giving increased karma/xp, give increased power/prec/vit/tough/etc. The amount of the buff would be based on how outnumbered the server is.

(edited by style.6173)

in WvW

Posted by: Eridani.8317

Eridani.8317

outmanned buffs …give increased power/prec/vit/tough/etc. The amount of the buff would be based on how outnumbered the server is.

It’s ridiculous that this isn’t already how it works.

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

So SOR’ing the rankings has already started to spread? Disturbing.

Keep passing the haterade around.
Sorry we took a week and NA players caught up on sleep they missed for 11 weeks straight, oh not to mention black outs we had to help guilds get onto SoR. (Since it wasn’t till late in the week Anet changed server populations.)

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: Lucil.5819

Lucil.5819

So you’re ending free transfers to make the matches more even… but you’re also resetting the rankings which (you admit) will make the matches less even.

That sounds like precisely the type of solution you guys would come up with.

Great punch line.

in WvW

Posted by: zombieCHAS.7193

zombieCHAS.7193

What I don’t understand is why not put the servers in their perspective tiers and just reset from there. I see no reason behind setting everyone to “0” then just start random groupings of tiers. Nobody in their right mind would think grouping JQ with tier 6 servers or BG with tier 7 servers will help in any way. From my understanding that’s what a full reset would cause. The glicko system shouldn’t account for server jumps anyways. It doesn’t need to. If a servers top 5 WvW guilds leave and that server then starts to get steamrolled, then guess what? They aren’t a tier 2 server anymore. Which is exactly what is happening with SBI. And if a tier 7 server gains a lot guild\players that make that server dominate the WvW map, then they too, more than likely, aren’t a tier 7 server any longer. Which is what seems the current system is doing. So how can you say its not working, when that’s what should be happening?

zombieCHAS – Asura Mesmer
SoR – Sinister Swarm (SIN)
www.sinisterswarm.com

in WvW

Posted by: Mausler.3748

Mausler.3748

Here is another compromise solution: move all ratings r towards the center M of the ratings scale by a certain factor p; that is, set the new rating to be
M + p * (r – M)
With p = 1, this means no change, with p = 0, this means a complete reset to the mid-point M. So a compromise could be p = 0.5, meaning that all servers move half way towards the center of the ratings scale.

This way, the past is devalued by half; giving more weight to the future performance, but preventing the silly matchups a complete reset would bring the week after next.

in WvW

Posted by: Dhar.6392

Dhar.6392

I could care less if they reset or not… at least ANET should come up with something to encourage players to come play wvw NOT the other way around, lots of playtime hrs, gold, effort etc. and for nothing really… give rewards base on time play and participation pls

I couldn’t agree more… This is Guild Wars…. WVW should be the lifeblood of this game, yet it seems to be the furthest thing on the devs mind…. This Reset is going to take 2 months for things to get back to a point where it would take 1 maybe 2 weeks to iron out with the current system… Just seems like a total waste unless they decided to go with a 48 or 72 hour reset timer for all tiers…

I totally disagree- the free transfers is what was screwing with the numbers from the get-go…

Take SBI…who was deservered at the top for over a month… and now? We need to be tier 4 or 5, but in the month we were tier 1 our score is so huge… or defeats must be equally huge to compensate… and for a like matter of time.

All that does is convince me to transfer to go play something else for a few months… where I might find something else I enjoy and not come back. How does that help SBI or your Ratings?

Nobody deserves to be facepalmed for 4-6 weeks to let the current system ‘realize’ there’s a huge difference between this week and last month! Last week SBI was rolled by SoR by over 200K points… and this week’s match… same peeps… why? Why was SBI matched up with the same opps two plus weeks running? Every server that is winning by 200K points is in the wrong tier…both winner and loser… so please address that in your argument!

Sure there’ll be a couple weeks of adjustment, but afterwards things should remain static. I’m quite certain that if Devs see another huge population shift…even at cost… there will be another reset. Hopefully it will not be necessary.

(edited by Dhar.6392)

in WvW

Posted by: Mizu.9387

Mizu.9387

Here is another compromise solution: move all ratings r towards the center M of the ratings scale by a certain factor p; that is, set the new rating to be
M + p * (r – M)
With p = 1, this means no change, with p = 0, this means a complete reset to the mid-point M. So a compromise could be p = 0.5, meaning that all servers move half way towards the center of the ratings scale.

This way, the past is devalued by half; giving more weight to the future performance, but preventing the silly matchups a complete reset would bring the week after next.

This suggestion have been thrown around there before, and its a good one. I think some wanted this to happen every month or every two months, to keep the current situation from happening.

Sif Urkraft

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

we are also revising the math behind the ratings formula

I hope that mean that you will add some % on how many players are in all the World vs World maps, so even if your server are at 500points you will not get 500points if it is only 1% full in all the World vs World maps.