WXP for laurels is not alt friendly

in WvW

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

Q:

We will be adding more liquid WXP that will be purchasable, likely with badges and some other currency, soon. As in, less than a month. I’ve made it a personal goal to improve the experience for playing alts in WvW. And to cut it off now, we are not making WvW rank account bound.

Based on this comment, I had assumed that the liquid WXP for badges was intended to make life easier for alts in WvW. Perhaps my assumption is wrong, but it seems reasonable to me.

However, this WXP for laurels will have the opposite effect, for one simple reason: The only people with extra laurels to burn are people WITHOUT ALTS.

If you only intend to play one character, and have already got all your ascended gear, then you probably have hundreds of extra laurels to spend. Pumping an extra hundred World ranks into your main character is definitely possible, and probably more rewarding than selling the unidentified dyes.

However, if you like playing alts, you will NEVER have extra laurels. There are simply too many ascended trinkets to buy.

As such, WXP for laurels (in it’s current configuration) actually makes the game less alt friendly. If you don’t have alts, you get free World Ranks. If you have alts, you will be constantly starting over at rank 0.

Here is what would work:

GW2 already has a nice, alt friendly leveling system: the level 20 scrolls.

For badges/laurels, sell a level 50 WXP scroll, like the level 20 experience scrolls you get for character birthdays. It will only be useful for alts, because it does not add 50 levels, but rather sets you at 50 levels, no matter how many levels you already have.

The only problem with this scroll would be the rank up chests, but that could easily be solved with the bonus chest system. Just give them 2 chests for the next 50 levels (like Anet did when the chests were first released).

If you like this idea, post a reply and hopefully we will get noticed!

tl;dr
WXP for Laurels only works if you dont need those laurels for alts.
Make a Level 50 WXP scroll (like the level 20 experience scroll) instead.

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

(edited by titanlectro.5029)

in WvW

titanlectro.5029

A:

From http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/397784/page/1

Copied here for this discussion

Devon Carter
Gjon

In my opinion GW2 has gone from very alt-friendly like GW1, to the exact opposite of that with the additions of ascended gear and WvW ranks. Will we be seeing real improvements to this (like account-based WvW ranks) anytime soon?

This is something we have been discussing very seriously recently and we agree with this assessment. It’s important to us to maintain a sense of individual character progression while still encouraging alt play in WvW. We have some plans for this as it relates to WvW that I hope to be able to talk more about soon. In the mean time, all I can say is that we agree and we’ll do more to make WvW alt-friendly in the coming months.

Devon Carter
Celcius

3) Any plans to make WvW progression account wide? I know you guys have been against this in the past, but this system does not correspond with pretty much the rest of the game. All the currency based progression in the game is account wide as well as sPvP.

3) We are discussing this and we will provide more information when we know how we intend to address this issue. It is important to us that World Ability Points are a character specific progression system and that when you spend those points your characters feel like they are distinguished from one another. It is also very important to us that people with more than one character don’t feel like they shouldn’t play all of those characters.

Devon Carter
rasli

3. On a related point, many players are worried about what they perceived as power creep in WvW, with the wvw rank guard ability lines and the recent addition of bloodlust stat buff, and many would prefer to have a more leveling playing field regarding to stat (as it is also easier for playing alts). Can you share with us what is the Dev’s team’s view on this and how are you planning to address it?

3) We want to make WvW more alt friendly, especially the rank system. However, WvW will never be balanced entirely as that is not feasible. We value the time players put into the game and we prefer to reward you with some abilities, items, etc. that reflect that. A skilled player can still take down a less skilled player with more ranks, and that is how we like it.

Devon Carter
morroIan

1. Why are arenanet so against WvW ranks being account bound? Character bound ranks do nothing but limit a players experience in WvW which will lead to burnout and players leaving sooner rather than later. Especially when combined with the ascended weapon system which only serves to limit our experimentation with builds.

1) We want their to be value to the time you spend playing the game and the way we do that is by rewarding you for that time. We think the WXP system needs to be more alt friendly, no doubt, but we also want you to be progressing your characters while you play the game. We think that the attachment you build with individual characters is important and that is part of the reasoning behind the current version of the system.

in WvW

Posted by: Gamadorn.2670

Gamadorn.2670

We will be adding more liquid WXP that will be purchasable, likely with badges and some other currency, soon. As in, less than a month. I’ve made it a personal goal to improve the experience for playing alts in WvW. And to cut it off now, we are not making WvW rank account bound.

Based on this comment, I had assumed that the liquid WXP for badges was intended to make life easier for alts in WvW. Perhaps my assumption is wrong, but it seems reasonable to me.

However, this WXP for laurels will have the opposite effect, for one simple reason: The only people with extra laurels to burn are people WITHOUT ALTS.

If you only intend to play one character, and have already got all your ascended gear, then you probably have hundreds of extra laurels to spend. Pumping an extra hundred World ranks into your main character is definitely possible, and probably more rewarding than selling the unidentified dyes.

However, if you like playing alts, you will NEVER have extra laurels. There are simply too many ascended trinkets to buy.

As such, WXP for laurels (in it’s current configuration) actually makes the game less alt friendly. If you don’t have alts, you get free World Ranks. If you have alts, you will be constantly starting over at rank 0.

Here is what would work:

GW2 already has a nice, alt friendly leveling system: the level 20 scrolls.

For badges/laurels, sell a level 50 WXP scroll, like the level 20 experience scrolls you get for character birthdays. It will only be useful for alts, because it does not add 50 levels, but rather sets you at 50 levels, no matter how many levels you already have.

The only problem with this scroll would be the rank up chests, but that could easily be solved with the bonus chest system. Just give them 2 chests for the next 50 levels (like Anet did when the chests were first released).

If you like this idea, post a reply and hopefully we will get noticed!

I’m down…WxP for laurels is another stupid idea from anet..

Dragonbrand
Underwater Operations – [WET]

in WvW

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

Badges currently feel like a side currency added onto the other cost, even though it should be the other way around. So long as it only cost badges and not 50 laurels/gold.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

in WvW

titanlectro.5029

Badges currently feel like a side currency added onto the other cost, even though it should be the other way around. So long as it only cost badges and not 50 laurels/gold.

They probably could do just badges, because it is limited in another way. You can only use the scroll once per alt. Its not like you could farm badges and abuse it.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I have a better idea.

Make WvW rank/abilities account-wide.

Ta-da!

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Lurch.9517

Lurch.9517

This idea makes almost as much sense as making WXP account bound rather than soul bound so there is not a chance in hell that the Devs will pay any notice to it. If you want them to take a suggestion seriously then wash a few tabs down with half a dozen pints of Stella, smoke a big fatty THEN start brain storming.

Lurch
Gandara

in WvW

titanlectro.5029

I have a better idea.

Ta-da!

I would prefer this too, but Devon has made it quite clear that account bound WXP is off the table. (Even in that quote I posted at the top of this thread).

Instead of arguing for what we can’t have, I’d like to see Devon be successful on his “personal goal to improve the experience for playing alts in WvW.”

in WvW

Posted by: Vergil Huragok.3967

Vergil Huragok.3967

Replace laurel req with x amount of karma, it’d still be the other form of currency asked for (Certainly far better than gold as an option) just depends on the rate they want to have between karma and wxp awarded

in WvW

Posted by: Rackhir Tanelorn.9123

Rackhir Tanelorn.9123

Excellent Suggestions!

Whether it is Karma+Badges or “pure Badges” I love the idea of a Level 50 wXP Scroll!

NAGA|TC

in WvW

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

Seriously, what where you thinking Devon ? Only people who play Pve or have only 1 character have extra laurels.

I’m very disappointed here, I was waiting for this, by the way you spoked I though you were serious about it, like you really want to improve alts experience in wvw, I really didn’t expected to be fooled like this, gj you got me.

in WvW

Lurch.9517

To be fair, there is no way that Devon Carver can be as out of touch or incompetent as the disparity between what he says and what he delivers suggest. I can only think that he does very much want what he says to happen but ends up being forced to take whatever he can get then takes a deep breath and ‘sells’ it to the community.

Lurch
Gandara

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

I would prefer this too, but Devon has made it quite clear that account bound WXP is off the table. (Even in that quote I posted at the top of this thread).

Instead of arguing for what we can’t have, I’d like to see Devon be successful on his “personal goal to improve the experience for playing alts in WvW.”

I honestly doubt that it’s truly off the table. His reasoning doesn’t make sense when it comes to not allowing account-wide ranks, and it’s a position that doesn’t match up with just about every other system in the game. Either there’s something in the code that prevents doing it easily, or he’s got some other reason for not wanting to do it.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Seigfried.5938

Seigfried.5938

Another implementation to please the carebears. Any PVE’r can do the JP and do dailies. Is that what is needed to rank up in wvw? What a joke.

Gandara → SoS → BG → Gandara → SFR

New bunker meta sux

in WvW

Lurch.9517

Another implementation to please the carebears. Any PVE’r can do the JP and do dailies. Is that what is needed to rank up in wvw? What a joke.

I am pretty certain that a progression rate of 20 levels per month in a trait line that has 900+ levels would not satisfy even the cutest cuddliest carebear.

Lurch
Gandara

(edited by Lurch.9517)

in WvW

Posted by: Art.9820

Art.9820

I do have to agree on this, getting ascended trinkets & infusions with laurels it currently forces you to save them for ONLY 1 CHAR.

I would prefer an ecto or karma trade more than laurels.

All classes

in WvW

titanlectro.5029

To be fair, there is no way that Devon Carver can be as out of touch or incompetent as the disparity between what he says and what he delivers suggest. I can only think that he does very much want what he says to happen but ends up being forced to take whatever he can get then takes a deep breath and ‘sells’ it to the community.

You could very well be right. I know it has been referenced before that when it comes to rewards/currency, he is controlled by other teams. He can pitch his ideas, but they decide. That said, he has gotten us some pretty nice stuff before (like cheap exotic weapons/armor, and a 10 laurel discount on ascended jewelry).

in WvW

Posted by: Rush.8253

Rush.8253

As a compromise, I don’t see why they don’t make WXP (not ranks) account-wide like karma. Then you could earn WXP on your main and rank up an alt. This will allow people to play the character they want/need to and maintain Anet’s goal of individual character progression.

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

Then you could earn WXP on your main and rank up an alt.

Or the other way around. I think that’s part of the intent of these new WXP consumables. It doesn’t make alting viable; it makes levelling less painful for your main. If you have an alt exclusively dedicated to farting around in the middle, then maybe that works… But you may as well just play sPvP if that’s what you alt for.

If you’re levelling, you’re probably relying on karma train, and you’re probably not being let on arrow carts to get tags on zergs, so you’re not gonna pull that many WXP consumables, so it… Doesn’t quite work.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

Can’t say I’ll be blowing laurels on WXP when we have ascended armour coming up and 3 alts to trinket.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

in WvW

Posted by: mmzn.8201

mmzn.8201

This WvW ranks for ALTs is too much grind and it is boring in my opinion. Make at least something like the higher rank you have on your account will be transfer by HALF for all your other characters.

For example if you have a lvl 200, all your others chars will get + 100 plus what you already have. So if I have an ALT with level 27, he will get 100 + 27 = 127. Your solo progression sums up with the MAIN high lvl progression divided by 2.

The problem with this is if you have two chars almost even like 100 and another with 90. The second one will end up with 50+90=140 wich is higher then the higher one. Things like you cannot pass your high level char by this, so the math will be 50+90=140, the higher is already at 100 so you get down to 100 as well. Both will have 100.

TBH I don’t know if any of this that I just wrote makes any sense, the BETTER SOLUTION ? YEAH make WvW RANK ACCOUNT WIDE ¬¬ Yes I used caps because I’m angry at ANET.

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

I have a few ascended pieces on different characters so using laurels for this is out of the question as I don’t always get to do dailies. This is the kind of kitten why I’m not spending another cent here.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Signed.
As an altoholic, I’m always low on laurels. This doesn’t exactly make me want to use them for my WvW alts when they still don’t even have Ascended jewelry.
I’d rather be willing to spend 100 badges than 1 laurel for WXP.

in WvW

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

That is actually a great idea, right now there is little to no incentive to play my main character even though i get bored on him, this would be a huge plus!

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i have 6 alts i dont play because of wvw.

i had 160 extra laurels. had. i finally got something to buy.

im in the minority. in fact, i might be alone. i like playing almost all aspects of the game, so i never needed laurels for anything but a pink amulet, which means ive been sitting on laurels (AND badges actually) with nothing interesting to do with them for months.

but no, i dont feel encouraged to play alts by this addition. in fact, now that i actually have most of the siege lines that i want thanks to this… ill probably never bring an alt into wvw again. my noobs/alts cant heal people from 10k range, cant sit on rams for dayz under 2 ACs, cant tear golems apart before they can react, cant solo fully upped supply camps (or even unupgraded ones). and it would take months to get even a single one of them to where they can.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

Lack of understanding has caused this really… Will it get changed? Of course not…

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The fewer alts we play, the quicker we burn out on the game. All these alt-unfriendly features are going to hurt the game badly in the long run.

WXP for laurels does not help at all. Laurels are just as alt-unfriendly as their supply is limited severely limited.

in WvW

titanlectro.5029

The fewer alts we play, the quicker we burn out on the game. All these alt-unfriendly features are going to hurt the game badly in the long run.

I completely agree. I was so excited about alts in this game, right up until world ranks and ascended gear…

My ele will always be my main, but I loved having the freedom to switch classes from time to time. Now it feels like I’m hurting my progression.

in WvW

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

It’s not worth it at all. 2 laurels will take 2 days to get, and it only gives 1 rank. You can get 1 rank in less than a couple hours running around taking camps alone. For 2 laurels and a measley amount of badges, it should give 10-20 levels. If they were just going to make it give 1 level, it should be badges only. I’m not wasting my laurels on that crap to level alts when it’s more efficient just to flip camps on my own. It’s bad enough I need those laurels for ascended gear for alts, and there’s only 1 way of getting laurels anyway. If monsters dropped laurels, fine, i’d be ok with that. But the fact they’re time gated makes it a horrible idea to waste them on laurels when you can gain the same amount of wxp in a fraction of the time it would take you to get those 2 laurels.

in WvW

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Hey folks,

The addition of the bonus WXP for laurels/badges is simply intended to give WvW players an additional option they can spend their laurels/badges on, it is not intended to fix any issues with alts and WxP.

We’re aware of, and actively discussing the amount of progression we’ve added through WxP and the difficulty for playing multiple characters as a result. When we make changes to help address alts/WxP rank, we’ll make sure to specifically call out the change is to help address that issue.

in WvW

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Hey folks,

The addition of the bonus WXP for laurels/badges is simply intended to give WvW players an additional option they can spend their laurels/badges on, it is not intended to fix any issues with alts and WxP.

We’re aware of, and actively discussing the amount of progression we’ve added through WxP and the difficulty for playing multiple characters as a result. When we make changes to help address alts/WxP rank, we’ll make sure to specifically call out the change is to help address that issue.

Do that for Ascended gear you love so much as well. As it stands you are making the most Alt unfriendly game in history. STOP WITH THE GRIND.

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Hey folks,

Could always take the easy way out and make the level account wide ***hides***
…and dyes ***hides***
…and ascended gear ***hides***

in WvW

Posted by: melodey.4652

melodey.4652

Whoo, hopefully this will come sooner rather than later.
Signed: an WvWer with 5 level 80s with multiple builds and 4 upscales.

Yak Slappin’ Bunker- roamin n stuffs [PD] [Duck]
all classes 80, who is the cheesiest of them all?
gw2 dress-up barbie is the real endgame

in WvW

titanlectro.5029

So my assumption was wrong! Thanks for the clarification, Colin.

I look forward to seeing whatever solution you guys decide to roll out.

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

Hey folks,

Account-wide WXP?

Where’s that Cantha reaction face when you need it?

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Hey folks,

Do that for Ascended gear you love so much as well. As it stands you are making the most Alt unfriendly game in history. STOP WITH THE GRIND.

/agree

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: nielscase.6258

nielscase.6258

Hey folks,

Regardless of the reason you introduced purchasable liquid wxp, do you realize the cost you are asking for it? I can easily get 1 wxp rank per 1-2hrs, but I can only receive 1 laurel per day. Who in their right mind would ever waste 2 laurels for something that is easily attainable. The fact that you implemented it this way feels like an insult to everyone’s intelligence. Why not make it cost 150-200 badges per 5k wxp, about as much as a chest piece. That would make badges useful beyond just gearing your character.

in WvW

Posted by: Gamadorn.2670

Gamadorn.2670

Hey folks,

I just wanted to say, thank you for at least responding and saying that you guys are aware and looking at it. Rather than saying it’s simply not an issue….for this I thank you!!!

Dragonbrand
Underwater Operations – [WET]

in WvW

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

Hey folks,

Are you planning to do it ?

in WvW

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Not having World Ranks be account bound was pretty silly in the first place, the only reason I stopped leveling alts in this game was entirely due to that…. I mine as well just play my Ranger 100% of the time when I do play then my play Necro or Thief, or level my Warrior/Mesmer up….No reason to bother with it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in WvW

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

Hey folks,

It would have solved the issue. Had you not made it a requirement to use laurels too… It’s just getting a little hard to keep track of all the carrots and their sticks right now, so it would have been nice for you to keep this simple.

Wxp only has an effect on the user, there is no monitory gain to be had by using all your badges on wxp, so doing this would have no risk. Sure it might make content more easily attainable for people who only main one character, but at least it wouldn’t punish those who use alts.

The current system makes alts very hard to maintain as too much emphasis is placed on timegated currencies, all the while allowing those who only man one character to go nuts after all their ascended items have been purchased…

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

(edited by bradderzh.2378)

in WvW

Posted by: Los Re.4607

Los Re.4607

Just put only badges requirement and make it time gated (5 ranks/day for example max). That way we can all push the rank of our alts with not problem.

in WvW

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I have a better idea.

Ta-da!

THIS times 1,000, times every alt on every server everywhere, then times another 100 for good measure.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in WvW

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

Simply put, people assumed something. It didn’t happen, back to the complaining board.

WXP drops have been nice, and I’ve gotten a bunch including the Keg of Liquid Karma after one night of WvW. That’s 5 ranks of WvW. People will probably still complain that it isn’t much, but considering I only WvW one night for about 3 hours it’s a pretty good bonus.

[DONE]

in WvW

Posted by: Arondrinor.5307

Arondrinor.5307

Hey folks,

I totally agree with you after that ascended things I gave up to defend this game. How can I bring ascended sets for my 5 alterns? I play WvW with 5 characters. I levelled all of them for play WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

Hey folks,

Right, because laurels are so easy to come by.

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting. I reeeeeally hope ANET removes the concept of soul bound from virtually every part of the game.

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

They are aware of the issue and thinking about it whilst implementing more alt unfriendly content.

in WvW

Posted by: Kaleygh.1524

Kaleygh.1524

Hey folks,

Are you guys even listening to us ? Who asked for wxp via laurels ? Are there anywhere hundreds of posts where people demand it, that i somehow missed ?
Why are you even spending time/resources on things like this when there are more urgent/important things that need fixing ?
You guys are out of touch with most of the pvp/wvw community.

Kaleygh – MNMN
3 wvw kills

in WvW

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

Nobody asked for wxp through laurels, but I doubt they invested much time in it. And while I’m disappointed that wxp has forced me to reduce my alt play-time, the increase in stats from exotic weapon to ascended weapon is relatively minimal. It’s something to work towards, yes, but my guildies that now have the ascended weapons aren’t noticing that much of a difference. Ascended armor, on the other hand, may be another story, but ascended weapons aren’t that much of a stat improvement.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer