What Makes WvW Great?

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Thread of positivity! (Is it ironic that the spell checker doesn’t know that word?)

Here are a couple to start us off;
1) Freedom to be creative. Devs know this feeling, they do it when they are making the PvE content – it’s FUN to be creative, the players want that feeling!
Examples of creativity in WvW:

• choosing what kind of assault to make on an objective,
  • whether to charge the enemies,
  • whether to sneakily build a catapult around the back of a tower while the main group is keeping the enemy distracted,
  • choosing where to place a siege weapon,
  • choosing which upgrades to place on an objective.

2) WvW is the OPPOSITE of raids. Raids, where you must switch off your brain and obey the instructions written by the nerd who worked out the mechanics who is in another guild on another server – nothing to do with you at all. It’s totally impersonal and punishes mistakes – it’s elitist. In WvW, mistakes are covered up by the mass – because so many people are doing things, an individual error is (usually) negligible in the grand scheme. WvW welcomes all!

Over to you.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Ability to build up a team using all available resources and unleashing on an enemy horde whether that is small, mid or large scale combat. The need for various roles creates more diversity allowing for a lot of various styles of play and builds compared to say sPvP.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Ogre.3124

Ogre.3124

Clearly the PvE aspect. The catapult positioning is a big plus to my day.

Maguuma

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Donald Trump.

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Nothing… more basic mmos do siege wars better than Gw2 by miles…

It is sad…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

This fits best for me:

In the olden days, your team would respond en masse to a call out because you didn’t want to lose a WP that took forever to upgrade, etc. Defending a tower or keep had a feeling of reward when the enemy was pushed out. And that reward was defending something you worked hard on getting built.

Now, with nobody wanting to play the BLs, calling for help is like pulling teeth. Smaller groups that were able to jump between maps now cannot be bothered to respond because the new Bay and Hills doesn’t give them a chance to WP in and save it. So it falls.

And it becomes a domino thing. If Bay and Hills fall, what’s the point really of defending garri? The attitude is “let them take the map, we’ll get it back later.”

WPs need to be returned to the home BL map — not divided up by team like in EB.

I’m glad the dolyaks play a role in upgrades now .. but the auto upgrade system has simply taken pride of ownership away from those defenders who loyally covered the home map.

There is NOTHING better and more loyalty binding to your team than saving something in the “nick of time” … it’s the emotional connection of feeling you did it together.

And that’s what kept WvW rolling, despite the complaints, for three plus years. People scoff at server loyalty, team loyalty, but it was the glue.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Donald Trump.

+1 for you.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Gatvin.6510

Gatvin.6510

Honestly, my favorite part is fully loaded-Eternal Battlegrounds conflicts. The only area I really liked in Borderlands was the Aquatic fortress on the left. That had some pretty cool fights because of the giant lake between the outer wall and the keep.

Having all three sides engaging multiple offense and defense objectives in EB though, those are the coolest. You actually use and defend the towers for longer periods of time, creative application of siege equipment shines, and most importantly, Armies can’t avoid each other. They choose when and where to fight, but they will fight sooner rather than never and its epic.

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Camelot Unchained maybe

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Clearly the PvE aspect. The catapult positioning is a big plus to my day.

Turning that treb 180 degrees is exhilarating!

What made WvW great to me was watching GvG’s and zerg busting, little hard to zerg bust and build team comps when people have to spend hours unlocking elites in PvE land, easier to quit game or PvP.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

Crush your enemies.
See them driven before you.
Hear the lamentations of their women.

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

In theory, creating a successful strategy out of the ambitions of myriad smaller parts.

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Lord of Rings.5371

Lord of Rings.5371

Commanding a zerg in a Cat and Mouse game in Edge of the Mists, or snapping opposing commanders around Stonemist Castle in Eternal Battlegounds.

Fire Water Air
FA

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Dropping behind your zerg (couldn’t get the condis off) and have half of them turning around to rez you. (<3)
Pride, actually, when we’re all working together on the same goal (destroying T3 SM by draining supply, trebbing, havoc cata building – can take a few hours) Also when we manage to defeat bigger blobs – or metabuild blobs.

I actually like automated and free upgrades better; I don’t feel bad anymore for whoever put their gold into a structure we tried to save but lost. And that makes wvw more fun to me. But I get that the old system had its advantages, I just don’t know what a good compromise would be.

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Nothing… more basic mmos do siege wars better than Gw2 by miles…

It is sad…

A huge portion of GW2 WvW players have been waiting for a better RvR MMO and it has not appeared. There are MAYBE some on the horizon but GW2 is still the premier RvR/WvW engine.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Gunner Morton.8340

Gunner Morton.8340

What made WvW great for me was indeed the multiple ways of attacking keeps, the people you fight with in your server and also not having to run far until you reach the next objective, this is why EB and the alpine borderlands are most popular.

The new map caused me to get bored on the way to the objectives, takes too long so I stopped bothering with that one.

I used to play WvW on Gunnar’s Hold, then I took a flawed serverlink to the knee.

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Copied from another thread.

… people have fun fighting most of the time and because they get a sense of achievement from fighting off an attacking force in a tower, or inversely they get a sense of achievement from conquering a heavily guarded tower.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

the epic fights

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

WvW is great because it’s a blend of pve and pvp! You get to fight other players, plus you get a big world to explore! It’s the best of both worlds really.

What Makes WvW Great?

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Fights. Great variety of roles unlike pvp which is so small and limited. Not a tiny cramped map like PvP. Being part of a community. Raiding with guilds and pugs.
Good times in TS.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<