What happened to SoR?

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

We slapped a few dolyaks, picked off reinforcements, and took a supply camp. The commander was attacking garrison, we asked in map if they wanted us to join up with them. This time one of the members of the group that was on TS asked there as well. Still no answer. We go ahead and take a 2nd supply camp after they capture garrison and this exchange takes place.
Map: Hey are you guys that took Stargrove a guild group?
Us: No
Map: Are you in TS?
Us: 2 of us are
Map: Could you guys leave this bl so [blank] can get in?
Us: Why?
Map: You’re not following the commander’s orders and we’re trying to win here.

Man, if I saw an exchange like that on TC I would raise a royal stink. I wouldn’t blame anyone from being completely turned off after such treatment.

I admire your loyalty to your server, especially given experiences like that one.

(edited by Qaelyn.7612)

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

Hello, I’m just an average GW2 player, been on SoR since day 1 and don’t plan on going anywhere. I consider myself a so-so WvWer, definitely nothing special. During SoR’s time in the top tiers, I got to fight alongside and against some amazing WvWers, I learned a ton and for that I’m really grateful. I got to see some amazing ‘How the kitten did they pull that off?’ maneuvers from many different guilds and commanders.

Sure, there was some friction now and then, misunderstandings and such. But they were usually quickly forgotten when the actual battle started. But things got, I don’t know “weird”, a bit before season 1 started.

I’m only 1 person and this is only 1 incident. It was a Saturday night, things looked hopping . I popped into a borderland and a small group of players was putting together a havoc squad, so I joined up with them. We weren’t all in the same guild, so I guess that means we were the dreaded “pugs”. Our spokesperson asked in map chat, if the commander would like us do anything specific, then asked again. No answer. So off we go.

We slapped a few dolyaks, picked off reinforcements, and took a supply camp. The commander was attacking garrison, we asked in map if they wanted us to join up with them. This time one of the members of the group that was on TS asked there as well. Still no answer. We go ahead and take a 2nd supply camp after they capture garrison and this exchange takes place.

We asked for orders and didn’t get any. So on our own we stopped supply and reinforcements from getting to garrison during the attack and took 1 fully upgraded supply camp. And we weren’t trying to win? My logic circuits fried at that point, so I said goodbye to my group and logged out (for quite some time actually).

Again this is just one incident, and it may have been very isolated. But that’s what I mean when things seemed to get ‘weird’ for me.

Best of luck to all the guilds that have migrated away and I hope you have a blast wherever you land. Because isn’t the point of playing GW2 to have fun?
(Sorry for Wall o’ text)
Good hunting

Think I may have been there. Many of us, including me, spoke up in your defense and told the commander to eff off. That commander never repeated that. also, I’m nearly rank 600, and I’ve seen that behavior twice. the commanders were spoken to.

OP’d thief, lol

(edited by Sanduskel.1850)

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Bharel.4328

Bharel.4328

I admire your loyalty to your server, especially given experiences like that one.

That was just one experience, the huge majority of my time on SoR has been a blast, some of my best times in gaming have been here. A ton of nice people left, but just as many great people stayed. It will be a time of rebuilding for us, but we will find a way to have fun doing it.

Whatever trial and tribulations Sanctum of Rall goes through, I’ll always be proud to be a part of this community.

Good hunting

Thudden Bluhndr, the lost Norn
Sanctum of Rall
[GSCH] The Gaiscioch Family

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Bharel.4328

Bharel.4328

Think I may have been there. Many of us, including me, spoke up in your defense and told the commander to eff off. That commander never repeated that. also, I’m nearly rank 600, and I’ve seen that behavior twice. the commanders were spoken to.

If it was the same time, thanks for sticking up for us. I wish I would have seen it. As I said, I logged off pretty quickly as my fingers wanted to type some not nice things.

The way yourself and others protested is exactly what I always saw from other SoR players, treating other people with respect. That’s why being told I wasn’t trying to win disappointed me so much.

Good hunting

Thudden Bluhndr, the lost Norn
Sanctum of Rall
[GSCH] The Gaiscioch Family

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

The rest of guilds in Sor is/already transferring/ed back to Tier 1. a.k.a TC. They left all the pugs to suffer in WvW. I think TW is the only guild I know left in SoR. they wont last in T3 either. maybe T4,5. After they get into a fit tier. they should starting building back their server. I feel bad for Sor now.

Actually, TW does an impressive job when it comes to fights. They were in SoS BL earlier fighting FA’s AGG guild. A bunch of us from SoS were watching from the fields near Bay and inside SW tower. I was rather amazed to see TW completely wipe the AGG group with little to no deaths on their end, and then doubly so to see them wipe the same group again when that group was almost 1.5 times their numbers the second time.

TW’s good, they won’t have problems fitting in here in T3. Sadly SoR doesn’t have the coverage and will probably drop again, but kitten if we aren’t having fun battling the people still on the server.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: geekanerd.4123

geekanerd.4123

Man, if I saw an exchange like that on TC I would raise a royal stink. I wouldn’t blame anyone from being completely turned off after such treatment.

Not that it excuses kittenery, but kittenhole commanders exist on every server. It’s hardly exclusive to SoR. I’ve seen it in FA, FC, EBay, and SF.

[DIE] – FA
“Is it uplevel ranger season yet?”

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Say one thing for Sanctum of Rall (and those Rallians that made a name out of it), say out of the three long standing tier 1 servers, BG with its ultra stacked mega blobs, JQ with its long standing tier 1 streak, It’s SoR that people have pointed at, talked about, worried about, named guilds regarding, and had questions about more than the other two combined.

Famous is famous.

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

Say one thing for Sanctum of Rall (and those Rallians that made a name out of it), say out of the three long standing tier 1 servers, BG with its ultra stacked mega blobs, JQ with its long standing tier 1 streak, It’s SoR that people have pointed at, talked about, worried about, named guilds regarding, and had questions about more than the other two combined.

Hasn’t been my experience, at least over the last few months I’ve been involved in WvW.

SoR is getting a lot of attention basically because of its abandonment of WvW, collapse in the ratings, and the associated drama. I’m not sure why anyone would consider that a good thing, unless they are obsessed with fame for its own sake.

“If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error.”
— John Kenneth Galbraith

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: DivineBeing.2086

DivineBeing.2086

Famous is famous.

I disagree. You can’t even open a WvW thread without someone, who knows nothing about BG, bad mouthing BG.

Blackgate
Lightdivinity – Level 80 Bunker Elementalist
Reshaos – Level 80 Power Necromancer

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Poxheart.2845

Poxheart.2845

Famous is famous.

I disagree. You can’t even open a WvW thread without someone, who knows nothing about BG, bad mouthing BG.

To paraphrase somebody earlier in this thread, if 10 people say the same thing about a server, there must be some truth to it.

Poxheart
Knights of the WhiteWolf

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

@WarriorJrd
Most guilds in EU doesnt bother with PPT because only 2-3 servers have the insane coverage to make PPT wars possible. Ironically enough, so far, i can say that Vizunah (pre collapse), SeaFaeries and Elona has way higher coverage then the T1 NA servers. God knows why and how, but they do.
And yes, im at TC now, so i can say that with certainty having fought both “Regions” T1 servers.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Haha insane coverage. You don’t really have any idea what happening in EU. We can barely fill eb and one borderland in prime time. Night we probably have some 40 player zerg that handle 4 maps alone.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

Haha insane coverage. You don’t really have any idea what happening in EU. We can barely fill eb and one borderland in prime time. Night we probably have some 40 player zerg that handle 4 maps alone.

I played on SFR for a few months and can verify that. Its getting to a point where it seems like T1 NA servers have better EU coverage than EU servers do.

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: bestplayerEva.9301

bestplayerEva.9301

Once they lost Iron they were totally screwed. I used to run with Iron by chance so much, although they prob call it harassing them. They left SoR and you could see the ppt drop huge. Then SoR just got pummeled and they would all horde together for safety. Then they just quit and went to EOTM. Many flaws went into their demise.

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: SleepingDragon.1596

SleepingDragon.1596

Once they lost Iron they were totally screwed. I used to run with Iron by chance so much, although they prob call it harassing them. They left SoR and you could see the ppt drop huge. Then SoR just got pummeled and they would all horde together for safety. Then they just quit and went to EOTM. Many flaws went into their demise.

I think you’re probably right on. The destruction of SOR came with IRON’s departure. IRON provided the difference in a timezone coverage that at one point in time JQ and BG forces could not have been able to withstand.

-S o S-

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Deleted – posted in wrong thread

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: etrigan.4213

etrigan.4213

SoR just couldn’t hang in with the coverage wars.

NA just hasn’t accepted the EU mentality yet. Those of us that play for the fights are much happier(FA, Mag).

PPT is pointless in a game mode, that is made to be unbalanced. Completely pointless.

Taking things does matter however…there’s no better way to get a fight than to attack a Tier 2 or Tier 3 structure.

SoR was stuck in a hard place. During the first season, they experienced queues during NA, like everyone rank 6 or higher did, due to pve’rs coming in. Add the frustration of queues with losing ppt to BG and JQ…

Coverage and PPT frustrations are the main reason servers collapse.

Unfortunately the smaller WvW servers are getting even smaller…

At this point the only sizable WvW guild that sticks around in the lower leagues is NNK, everyone else has moved up to fight each other.

Nox – Fort Aspenwood
I AM BEST!

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Facet.5914

Facet.5914

SoR is the best example of the conflict that has been going on in many servers between guilds that only want to open field fight a few hours a night, and the other guilds + pugs that are still looking to play the ppt and defense game. The two mix like oil and water, but are kinda forced to live in the same house.

I don’t think either group is entirely to blame or entirely free of blame. Servers need fighting guilds so it’s not all ridiculous siege bunkering and WP abuse. Servers also need people willing to defend and do the more monotonous task like upgrading, repairing, and building siege so the whole map is not paper k-train bait. Unfortunately though the fighting guilds often run around chest thumping and disparaging players that play ppt and want to defend, and those players start to resent that attitude.

This is a really good summary of the fights/ppt dilemma that every server must deal with. Ppt-ers say that fights that don’t contribute to ppt don’t matter because they don’t help win. Fighters say that “winning” doesn’t matter because the winner is determined soley by the systemic and non-competitive advantage of coverage. Everyone searches for a perspective that gives their WvW playtime meaning and purpose.

Then there is also the wvw guild vs pvx players schism, bringing on the dilemmas of pragmatic elitism vs idealistic solidarity, guild vs server loyalty, resentment of guilds for their percieved “leeching” of tier position, resentment of most pvxers as “fairweathers”, etc. Everyone feels slighted by the “others”, player morale plumments, negativity and toxicity pervade all guilds on the server, guilds transfer to save themselves.

Yaks Bend [SoF] [Me] [One]
Sea of Sorrows [All]

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Adula.3698

Adula.3698

The guilds here went for “bags4days” type of thing, then they all got mad and left because they weren’t getting ppt and gaining in ranks, so now they all bandwaggoned to TC so they can “bag4day” there.

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Thustlewhumber.7416

Thustlewhumber.7416

The rest of guilds in Sor is/already transferring/ed back to Tier 1. a.k.a TC. They left all the pugs to suffer in WvW. I think TW is the only guild I know left in SoR. they wont last in T3 either. maybe T4,5. After they get into a fit tier. they should starting building back their server. I feel bad for Sor now.

Actually, TW does an impressive job when it comes to fights. They were in SoS BL earlier fighting FA’s AGG guild. A bunch of us from SoS were watching from the fields near Bay and inside SW tower. I was rather amazed to see TW completely wipe the AGG group with little to no deaths on their end, and then doubly so to see them wipe the same group again when that group was almost 1.5 times their numbers the second time.

TW’s good, they won’t have problems fitting in here in T3. Sadly SoR doesn’t have the coverage and will probably drop again, but kitten if we aren’t having fun battling the people still on the server.

That was good fun, glad you enjoyed the show.

I am by no means a spokesperson, but the BG/JQ tactics of buying guilds to hide in towers was/is ridiculous. SoR in general was just tired of it… we wanted out by any means necessary. EOTM was the perfect reason for us to get out. (On our pre-reset meeting for server assignments, there wasn’t a single guild didn’t want to be in EOTM, lol).

I will miss the hours of bag farming in SMC, but not those two servers. Even if you “think” TC might do good at some point, BG and JQ have an endless supply of gold in their server bank to keep paying guild transfer costs (or “embracing new guilds” as they like to call it). In the end, their PPT and status is only a coverage game, and they will buy any guild that will fit into the time zone they need…

…at least the guilds in T2 actually come out and fight.

WvW Necro

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: akanibbles.6237

akanibbles.6237

PPT or playing for fights… didn’t matter during SEA time as we’d often be trying to get out from the citadel as a small group (as that’s all we could muster) and would quickly meet a zerg from either of the other servers. They’d use scouts (and rightly so)… and even though we’d be a small group of <10, we’d be hit by 40+ zerg. That wouldn’t be too bad, but the general lag in the game made it all the more frustrating and seemingly pointless.

Still, ESO, Wildstar, Elite Dangerous are all around the corner. GW2 lives on I guess.

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Ljiona.9142

Ljiona.9142

WvWvW is probably heading to a red, green, blue format. Less and less people are playing the game. GW2 had its window but it decided to focus on being another warcraft clone. Like the other clones, it is losing people because they are sick of warcraft. These people are lost in cyberspace hopping from MMO to MMO until something truly different comes about. With how expensive MMOs have become, that day may never come because only big software companies can produce them. These companies are run by the same type people that run the music business, tv, and Hollywood. So get ready for more Justin Bieber, reality shows, Super Hero movies, and Warcraft clones.

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Problem with that is playing for colours is meaningless, at least your server may mean something.

Apropos of this thread apparently TW moved to SoS today.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

EOTM much more enjoyable for many of us in imbalanced fights right now. why be miserable while playing?

OP’d thief, lol

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: grave of hearts.7830

grave of hearts.7830

Well there was that one hint that sor was bound to implode considering a large portion of it was bandwagoneers.
Sure the political attitude was a major factor but when you see things from my point of view where half the sor tags were ex sos guilds that transfered because they wanted to win then it comes to no surprise to see discord tearing things apart.
I do have a large popcorn bag for when it happens to bg,that one will be far more interesting to analyze considering the server is stuck on full status.

SoS Defence and Emergency commander
If you see a gear above my head……run
If you see me Offline,its totaly not a trap

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Ross Biddle.2367

Well there was that one hint that sor was bound to implode considering a large portion of it was bandwagoneers.
Sure the political attitude was a major factor but when you see things from my point of view where half the sor tags were ex sos guilds that transfered because they wanted to win then it comes to no surprise to see discord tearing things apart.
I do have a large popcorn bag for when it happens to bg,that one will be far more interesting to analyze considering the server is stuck on full status.

Only it didnt implode. The “server” SoR is a location that can be filled or emptied. The Rallian’s that resided there, most of the dedicated WvW’rs that is, have simply migrated and taken their game with them. The community is still alive and kicking.

You sound sore.

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Population issues, and the impact that transfers have is a concern my guild shares.

It’s not good for the servers being affected, it’s not good for WvW. It’s not good for community. (Both server and the WvW community at large.) And yes, as is demonstrated by this thread, and many other threads, there are folks who still care about community, both locally and globally.

My guild started on BG at headstart. We run into a lot of the folks in PvE that we have run with in WvW. There’s a feeling of “Cheers” (where everybody knows your name). That’s a huge part of what keeps us out in WvW. Community.

Yes, we are part of the “hated” T1 high pop server. However:

Our guild has been in games where our server lost so many players we were forced into a mergers with two other servers. Other games where we woke up one day, logged on and found and were just moved to another servers. Only had one game where we were given a choice of where to land. And there were no paid server transfers.

And we know what it feels like have gone from being on the most balanced server in a game, with friendly mature helpful players to suddenly find that one realm (and one specific player) literally bought so many players from another server in order to win that the developers had to step in to try and motivate players to level there. The third side of that server was so decimated it never recovered.

That was a decade ago.

If BG fails in S2 (which I have been saying could happen since the day after S1 ended.. there are no guarantees of anything) and as a consequence loses those that are here to use us and take advantage of the rest of the community, and the server falls to T6, we will still be playing on BG. Because like other players on this thread, we care about community. We will adapt. Again.

Here’s hoping, for all of us, that ANet addresses some of the issues that lead to population problems. And hope that does so without further damaging the WvW community.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: grave of hearts.7830

grave of hearts.7830

Only it didnt implode. The “server” SoR is a location that can be filled or emptied. The Rallian’s that resided there, most of the dedicated WvW’rs that is, have simply migrated and taken their game with them. The community is still alive and kicking.

You sound sore.

I got more class bugs to be sore about than SoR absorbing and canibalising on arrival all the trolls and ego coms sos ever had.
On the contrary i feel quite amused when that happens.
You on the other hand seem to make assumptions that everyone is hostile against sor,which wasnt the case in my post.

SoS Defence and Emergency commander
If you see a gear above my head……run
If you see me Offline,its totaly not a trap

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

geekanerd.4123

I’m trying to figure out which bandwagon guilds came from SoS. I mean, within the last… six months? Because I’ve been on SoR about that long and it’s been a relatively stable environment, barring recent events. Hell, I know of more guilds that transferred to SoS in the last month or two than SoR. Point is, for guilds looking for easy wins and lots of coverage, SoR was never going to be that place. So throw out some guild names so this sounds less like horsekitten, neighbor.

[DIE] – FA

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I got more class bugs to be sore about than SoR absorbing and canibalising on arrival all the trolls and ego coms sos ever had.

I think you’ve built this up in your head far more than the reality. SOR got 4 guilds from SOS; tsym, afs, sox and ocx. Only tsym were a large guild, afs and ocx mutated into GC and sox were a minor guild then.

We weren’t enticed to SOR we were going to leave anyway it was just a question of where. We stayed far longer than we should have as well after most of the SOS guilds went to BG. And in fact even before we announced any decision to leave we were ostracised by the rest of SOS and were even banned from the SOS TS while were were still fighting for it.

And in terms of SOR imploding none of those guilds had anything to do with it. Tsym were gone from the game for months when tensions were rising, sox and GC were busy trying to stem the bleeding in oceanic leading the rallians in that timezone.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

geekanerd.4123

I think you’ve built this up in your head far more than the reality. SOR got 4 guilds from SOS; tsym, afs, sox and ocx. Only tsym were a large guild, afs and ocx mutated into GC and sox were a minor guild then.

We weren’t enticed to SOR we were going to leave anyway it was just a question of where. We stayed far longer than we should have as well after most of the SOS guilds went to BG. And in fact even before we announced any decision to leave we were ostracised by the rest of SOS and were even banned from the SOS TS while were were still fighting for it.

And in terms of SOR imploding none of those guilds had anything to do with it. Tsym were gone from the game for months when tensions were rising, sox and GC were busy trying to stem the bleeding in oceanic leading the rallians in that timezone.

I remembered that SOX and OCX came from SoS. I forgot about Tsym and afs. Either way, I agree. SoR was already in a spiral well before SoX left.

[DIE] – FA

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: urzen.7096

urzen.7096

Im just happy I don’t have to transfer to a lower server now. My server IS one! Much more fun not being on top.

Sanctum of Rall

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Tommy.4962

Tommy.4962

If SOR wants to improve then [TW] Indo should leave that guy is a detrimental to our server. Everyone hates that guy

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

If SOR wants to improve then [TW] Indo should leave that guy is a detrimental to our server. Everyone hates that guy

uhmm TW left already. I’m pretty sure all the major wvw guilds left already.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Baladir.2736

Baladir.2736

I don’t know why they ever developed the whole PPT system. It was never a good idea to begin with. I guess I was ahead of my time when I got fed up with it months after launch when I saw what it did to people, guilds, and servers. Who the heck cares what the score is at the end of a week anyway. A week of Scoring is not fun.

Two hour fights are perfect. At the end, give the participants individual rewards based on their side’s results, not Wvw supply. That’s just stupid. IMO it’s too late to do that now though. Too many guilds and servers have bought into the “my server is #1” game and invested too much in money, organization, and time to see it evaporate. So, those of us who don’t PPT quietly vanish into the Mists. And lol, PPT players wonder where everyone went. Seriously, they really don’t know lol. They just don’t get it. Too many supervised and coordinated events around today. Give me a pickup game any day. This is my free time. This is a time to relax and have fun after a hard day at work.

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

SoR died before EotM, stop blaming things for the sake of blaming.

Are we going to blame LA rescue for SoR dying as well?

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Sreoom.3690

Sreoom.3690

Man this thread could be written as a soap opera.

SoR…sorry y’all imploded. I miss the good old days of you and BG snuggling together.

“The Leaf on Wind”
JQ Ranger

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

Lack of 24 hour coverage, season 1, people start playing for fights and not PPT, server loses, guild transfer, Anet profits. Plug this story into any server that has ever dropped it fits anywhere and it will happen again.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Man this thread could be written as a soap opera.

SoR…sorry y’all imploded. I miss the good old days of you and BG snuggling together.

These server dramas are soap operas. Me thinks shows like Jersey Shore and the Kardashians is having more of an impact on the general population than we figured.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: buckeyecro.9614

buckeyecro.9614

As a Sanctum of Rall Commander, please go to Sanctum of Rall’s Community’s Website for more information about the affairs.

The overarching reason was the hardcore guilds and players could no longer sustain the coverage to remain competitive in NA T1. Secondarily to that main factor, the community had a massive split mainly between the hardcore players and the non-hardcore players. It has since been resolved mainly by the guilds leaving. Thirdly, the game mode has experienced fundamental change with EotM and the population has had to adapt.

According to a couple of the primary hardcore leaders on the website I listed, the overall game’s population’s recruiting pool has became very poor, so in order to maintain interest in playing the game, they decided that it was best that they transfer to servers that could provide the population and coverage necessary to be competitive in T1. They concluded it was impossible to recruit people to the server and play in WvW. It requires a very large amount of numbers, time, and energy required to maintain hardcore competitiveness in T1 and WvW, and probably unsustainable in the long term- unless the game mode fundamentally changes to mitigate these factors. I hope the game mode changes for the better relatively soon. Therefore it’s much, much easier to go to somewhere else that is rising in the ranks when a server is no longer competitive or when the atmosphere seems toxic.

I do not blame them at all for leaving and wish them best of luck in their endeavors. My brother and I had a blast running with them, and will miss the fun times we had and could have had playing with them.

Ultimately, its absurd to play a game if you’re not having fun or otherwise enjoying it.

Sanctum of Rall NA Engineer Commander

Guild Wars 2 needs a Public Beta Environment

(edited by buckeyecro.9614)

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Baladir.2736

Point taken. Still, look at the SoR commanders post just above. Nothing but stress. “sustain the coverage to remain competitive” “split mainly between the hardcore players and the non-hardcore players. It has since been resolved mainly by the guilds leaving” “population’s recruiting pool has became very poor” “very large amount of numbers, time, and energy required to maintain hardcore competitiveness” “unsustainable” an on and on.

The WvW meta has one 15 minute break once a week. The rest of the time the game and scoring are on. I’ve never seen anything like it. Granted I do have only played a handful of games, but hardcore raiding was never like this. This simply burns people out. I’ve never seen so much rage quitting. Players quitting guilds. Guilds splitting or collapsing. Guilds quitting servers. Just for the sake of the score. We have to get the score. We have to be top scorer. Never mind that fights and the fun don’t change regardless of the score. It’s simply crazy how people buy into all this.

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

Point taken. Still, look at the SoR commanders post just above. Nothing but stress. “sustain the coverage to remain competitive” “split mainly between the hardcore players and the non-hardcore players. It has since been resolved mainly by the guilds leaving” “population’s recruiting pool has became very poor” “very large amount of numbers, time, and energy required to maintain hardcore competitiveness” “unsustainable” an on and on.

The WvW meta has one 15 minute break once a week. The rest of the time the game and scoring are on. I’ve never seen anything like it. Granted I do have only played a handful of games, but hardcore raiding was never like this. This simply burns people out. I’ve never seen so much rage quitting. Players quitting guilds. Guilds splitting or collapsing. Guilds quitting servers. Just for the sake of the score. We have to get the score. We have to be top scorer. Never mind that fights and the fun don’t change regardless of the score. It’s simply crazy how people buy into all this.

The problem is that the metric was asinine from the launch, but many fell for it because on the surface that is what it seems like WvW is “about”…It is compounded that the world is full of sheep (ever seen a tagged up karma train?), therefore people are/have/will run themselves ragged over chasing PPT which is (once again) still an asinine metric; without ever coming to the realization that PPT chasing only leads to heartbreak in the end.

I feel sad for the people that have played since launch and still think that PPT matters, or not that it matters, that it is relevant to anything remotely tied to their individual play or efforts.

Keep staying up til 4am to upgrade garri, keep calling into work, keep missing class, next week the cycle will start all over and you can do it all again. Then leagues will come and then it will “matter even more”….The sooner people come to the realization of the situation then we as players can hopefully start to change the landscape…Because God knows ANET seems to be helpless to do anything about it.

Mag Server Leader

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: jojojoon.8607

jojojoon.8607

The problem is that the metric was asinine from the launch, but many fell for it because on the surface that is what it seems like WvW is “about”…It is compounded that the world is full of sheep (ever seen a tagged up karma train?), therefore people are/have/will run themselves ragged over chasing PPT which is (once again) still an asinine metric; without ever coming to the realization that PPT chasing only leads to heartbreak in the end.

I feel sad for the people that have played since launch and still think that PPT matters, or not that it matters, that it is relevant to anything remotely tied to their individual play or efforts.

Keep staying up til 4am to upgrade garri, keep calling into work, keep missing class, next week the cycle will start all over and you can do it all again. Then leagues will come and then it will “matter even more”….The sooner people come to the realization of the situation then we as players can hopefully start to change the landscape…Because God knows ANET seems to be helpless to do anything about it.

This attitude towards PPT is one of the main reasons why SOR imploded since it only accepts one type of play style in wvw. If it continues, the only people left on the server doing wvw are only the hardcore wvw players who plays for fights only.

I know people who likes to play wvw strategically like a chess match and playing for PPT allows this. They try to predict enemy movements and come up with counter moves. I also know some that plays wvw like sims/civilization where they try to “maintain” their homeland, and that involves upgrading structures, running yaks and making sure all structures get supplies. To these people, playing the way they think is fun indirectly affects ppt.

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

King Amadaeus.8619

This attitude towards PPT is one of the main reasons why SOR imploded since it only accepts one type of play style in wvw. If it continues, the only people left on the server doing wvw are only the hardcore wvw players who plays for fights only.

I know people who likes to play wvw strategically like a chess match and playing for PPT allows this. They try to predict enemy movements and come up with counter moves. I also know some that plays wvw like sims/civilization where they try to “maintain” their homeland, and that involves upgrading structures, running yaks and making sure all structures get supplies. To these people, playing the way they think is fun indirectly affects ppt.

My comments are not directed at the handful of people that log in to this game and play PPT for the 2-3 hrs a day they play then log out and think nothing about it beyond that…My comments are aimed at the masses that obsess over it, and to some extent let it dictate how/when/why they play.

I am all for people playing for “fun”, the problem with that logic is when you talk to people that play for PPT they only have “fun” when they are “winning”.

The ones that don’t care typically have not been playing since launch. It may be worth it in T1, but short of there, everyone else will eventually realize that you only control (in terms of PPT) what your server-coverage allows.

Mag Server Leader

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Baladir.2736

Balance in our pursuits is a good thing. Since I didn’t get sucked into the PPT mode of thinking, I go out and have fun without a care as to what tier we are in or how we are doing that week. When I do go out I enjoy the various activities, everything from soloing supply camps, running yaks, zerg balls, taking an objective, informal groups, guild groups etc. I am in a casual guild of good players. But, that’s me.

Of course the PPT hardcore players have their right to enjoy the game as they like. No one would deny that. I have no doubt they would find a way to maximize the stress of any game mechanic to the maximum degree. It’s just that some games recognize this and put a lid on it so those guys don’t hurt themselves too badly lol. For better or worse they will learn a lot about themselves. A person has to know their limitations in the world. This game will chew you up and spit you out if you don’t or can’t find balance.

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Good point, Baladir. I’ve been on SoR since launch -3 and watched it’s rise to T1 and now will happily watch it fall to a more healthy, reasonable tier.

T1 is a burnout machine, I recently looked a guild recruiting for an elementalist and they wanted you to raid EVERY DAY. Seriously.

(edited by Karizee.8076)

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

People went to SoR looking for mega blob easy mode. Can’t really fault the logic, in mid-2013 SoR was either the most organized or most blobby server depending on what spin you want to put on it. Anyways, they didn’t find the log-on-and-win success they were looking for because other servers had adapted to the PPT game and SoR didn’t (whether intentionally or because they’re terrible, or it was just lack of morale from selling out and trying to buddy up with BG during league and still not managing to place I’ll leave to the various trolls to debate). So all the transfers left and the ppt plummeted. Some were holding out expecting easy mode in t2. Turns out most tier 2 servers are overall better in open field fights with similar numbers than tier 1 servers, as anyone who played during league knows. SoR got crushed a lot. The people who thought tier 2 would bring easy mode left. Server continues to fall.

The glicko system made it look like a sudden thing, but really it wasn’t. It just took weeks and weeks for SoR to actually lose the points to drop to tier 2. Their decline was more gradual and has been going on awhile ppt wise at least. Once they actually got to t2 the glicko scores accelerated and now they are going to find their natural place a lot sooner.

I think the real SoR people never had much of a problem being lower tier and I don’t think this drop is going to bother them at all really, especially since from the sound of things that people that made that community toxic are all some other server’s problem now. The blobbers will continue to blob and whine elsewhere, the loyal SoR players will keep fighting for SoR no matter where it is. So WvW goes.

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

My comments are not directed at the handful of people that log in to this game and play PPT for the 2-3 hrs a day they play then log out and think nothing about it beyond that…My comments are aimed at the masses that obsess over it, and to some extent let it dictate how/when/why they play.

I am all for people playing for “fun”, the problem with that logic is when you talk to people that play for PPT they only have “fun” when they are “winning”.

The ones that don’t care typically have not been playing since launch. It may be worth it in T1, but short of there, everyone else will eventually realize that you only control (in terms of PPT) what your server-coverage allows.

I would say the ones who have been playing since launch are the ones who have found ways to lead with losing. If you lose your kitten while you’re losing then after a year and a half your kitten is totally gone. WvW involves hundreds of players. Much of it is beyond any one person’s control.

It’s like newer players who are like “Oh no! We’re losing by 20k points!” or “Oh no! We’re ticking at +20!” or “Oh no! We lost garrison while I was sleeping!”

Life goes on, guilds come and go, new people show up in WvW as old ones stop playing. WvW is such a long game, you can’t sweat the lil’ things. Don’t burn yourself out, don’t worry what tier you’re in. Your tier doesn’t say anything about you, your guild, or whatever. Tiers are nonsense. It’s not important. Do the best with what you got and only measure yourself against the person you were yesterday. I don’t care what servers are better than Gate of Madness, I only care whether I’m better than I was yesterday.

Whatever happens just remember the mantra: fight, kill, have fun.

Gate of Madness

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

Ross Biddle.2367

People went to SoR looking for mega blob easy mode. Can’t really fault the logic, in mid-2013 SoR was either the most organized or most blobby server depending on what spin you want to put on it. Anyways, they didn’t find the log-on-and-win success they were looking for because other servers had adapted to the PPT game and SoR didn’t (whether intentionally or because they’re terrible, or it was just lack of morale from selling out and trying to buddy up with BG during league and still not managing to place I’ll leave to the various trolls to debate). So all the transfers left and the ppt plummeted. Some were holding out expecting easy mode in t2. Turns out most tier 2 servers are overall better in open field fights with similar numbers than tier 1 servers, as anyone who played during league knows. SoR got crushed a lot. The people who thought tier 2 would bring easy mode left. Server continues to fall.

The glicko system made it look like a sudden thing, but really it wasn’t. It just took weeks and weeks for SoR to actually lose the points to drop to tier 2. Their decline was more gradual and has been going on awhile ppt wise at least. Once they actually got to t2 the glicko scores accelerated and now they are going to find their natural place a lot sooner.

I think the real SoR people never had much of a problem being lower tier and I don’t think this drop is going to bother them at all really, especially since from the sound of things that people that made that community toxic are all some other server’s problem now. The blobbers will continue to blob and whine elsewhere, the loyal SoR players will keep fighting for SoR no matter where it is. So WvW goes.

You’re from JQ, talking about people transfering to SoR for mega blob easy mode? JQ has been the longest standing “transfer to mega blob east mode”. Have you checked your server status lately? Your server is currently Full. SoR was never anywhere near that.

And what SoR players are keeping on fighting for SoR? Have you seen the PPT lately? If the best of the best are still there making the SoR server proud then they’re doing a kitten poor job of it. Fact is here’s no one left because any and all SoR WvW’rs have gone off to be competitive elsewhere (a few to go megablob on JQ with you).

The loyal SoR players are still in the game, but they’re not fighting on SoR anymore.

What happened to SoR?

in WvW

King Amadaeus.8619

I would say the ones who have been playing since launch are the ones who have found ways to lead with losing. If you lose your kitten while you’re losing then after a year and a half your kitten is totally gone. WvW involves hundreds of players. Much of it is beyond any one person’s control.

It’s like newer players who are like “Oh no! We’re losing by 20k points!” or “Oh no! We’re ticking at +20!” or “Oh no! We lost garrison while I was sleeping!”

Life goes on, guilds come and go, new people show up in WvW as old ones stop playing. WvW is such a long game, you can’t sweat the lil’ things. Don’t burn yourself out, don’t worry what tier you’re in. Your tier doesn’t say anything about you, your guild, or whatever. Tiers are nonsense. It’s not important. Do the best with what you got and only measure yourself against the person you were yesterday. I don’t care what servers are better than Gate of Madness, I only care whether I’m better than I was yesterday.

Whatever happens just remember the mantra: fight, kill, have fun.

Truth.

Mag Server Leader