What happened to no repeat matches?

in WvW

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Indeed, it’s frustrating to be advertised new opponents each week (and it was totally doable!) and in game we get three times one opponent and twice another… On a 9-week tournament it’s ok to fight against the same server twice, but on a 4-week tournament… Thrice the same match-up is quite exaggerated.

Once again, we were hyped because of words and promises. And guess what? We are disappointed, just like usual, because they don’t respect what we were told.

We should really stop caring about what they say, because not even once were their advertisments close to what was delivered.

Arenanet definitely needs improve on this accounts:
1. Resources devoted towards the development WvWvW
2. Communication towards the WvWvW player base

Constantly breaking up promises and not even presenting an apology is unacceptable.

I don’t know why they even call this a tournament. In my idea of a tournament each server would fight against each other at least once. This is possible with 9 servers and 4 weeks.

The scoring system doesn’t make any sense at all. Giving 5 points for the winner in tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3, and yet 3 points for 2nd in tier 1, 2 and 3 and 2 points for the loser in kitten and t3 is more than weird. Imagine if Formula 1 races would reward points with similar system? That winner would get 5, the 2nd would get 3 and the 3rd would get 2 points, but ending 4th or 7th would give 5 points! This would lead to F1 racers intentionally driving slower to end up 4th and 7th to get the easy 5 points. Now this is exactly what is happening in WvWvW.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

That Swiss tournament with 6/9 server in 3way matches should neither be 9 nor 4 rounds, but 2 or mostly 3 is mathematically clear.

The 4. Round could be seen as an additional final for rank 1, but it’s also clear that it only disturbs ranks 2-9.

Anyhow there shouldn’t be seasons, as long as teams aren’t manpower balances or scoring isn’t changed to be immune to manpower balance.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: EFWinters.5421

EFWinters.5421

Honestly, the only decent match ups for NA Gold League are the week 1 and 4 match ups. I agree it’s clear the original statement of no repeat matches is false, but that’s a good thing. A TC/BG/JQ match is superior to a BG/Mag/FA match.

NA Gold League is just a terrible league. The population imbalance between T1 and T2 is dramatic and the two shouldn’t ever be paired in a fair competition (even T2 has become unhealthy lately). It’s better than season 2 (ironically season 2 encouraged more surprising outcomes than season 3 did) but NA Gold League is better off the less T1 and T2 are paired up.

I absolutely don’t agree.

I have never played BG but I would very much have liked to. We have the same kittenty unbalanced match up for half a year, getting beat by 300k or 150k doesn’t matter much to me, and even so, those match ups happen every single week outside of seasons. Seasons are useless but if there’s one good thing about them it’s that you get to fight servers you normally don’t come in contact with.

Human Guardian
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Kylden Ar.3724

Kylden Ar.3724

I’m with everyone else is this thread.

I’m from SoR
-Week 1: GoM, Darkhaven.
-Week 2: Anvil Rock, Kaineng.
-Week 3: GoM, E-Bay
-Week 4: GoM, Darkhaven.

I want a kittening dev response and I want it right the kitten now!

I don’t care if you don’t like WvW, I don’t care if you don’t care about it. I DO and I paid for the game just like every other person who cares about it. I want a kittening dev response and I want it NOW.

I’m in Kaineng (really, are we even a server anymore… we keep bleeding out WvW guilds. We had [RAGE] leave _during the tournament!) and seeing AR again is kinda disappointing.

Kylden
Leader of TACO mini-roamer guild, Kaineng.

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

TC here. We had:

Week 1 – Blackgate, Jade Quarry, Tarnished Coast
Week 2 – Tarnished Coast, Fort Aspenwood, Maguuma
Week 3 – Blackgate, Tarnished Coast, Sea of Sorrows
Week 4 – Blackgate, Jade Quarry, Tarnished Coast (???)

I’d rather have seen Jade Quarry, Tarnished Coast, Sea of Sorrows/Fort Aspenwood for Week 4. It’d have been a much closer fight. BG stomped all comers for each of their weeks anyway; it’s not as if another rollover for Week 4 would have made much difference.

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

CD here. We had.

Week 1 – YB-DB-CD
Week 2 – CD-DR-BP
Week 3 – CD-SbI-IoJ
Week 4 – YB-DB-CD (???)

Yeah, what happened to no repeat matches ?

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

How about the one from Devon I quoted on the post a little above yours?

Clearly didnt’ bother to read this thread either…….

Many many people understood this week would mirror week 1 based on devon’s response.

And as such, mea cupla, no argument. My failure to catch that bit of info. I consider this a response, even if I’m not happy with it.

Terrahero however raises a fair point, one must concede, a lot of people are fed up with seeing the SAME people.

Tired of the same people, then simply switch servers. That way you’ll get completely different people. In gold, move to a bronze or silver league server. There, new people for you to see/fight.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Many many people understood this week would mirror week 1 based on devon’s response.

And as such, mea cupla, no argument. My failure to catch that bit of info. I consider this a response, even if I’m not happy with it.

Terrahero however raises a fair point, one must concede, a lot of people are fed up with seeing the SAME people.

Tired of the same people, then simply switch servers. That way you’ll get completely different people. In gold, move to a bronze or silver league server. There, new people for you to see/fight.

And give Anet money for neglecting WvW? No thanks. I’ll continue to suffer.

in WvW

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

While I can see it being frustrating having the same match ups, I don’t see anywhere where it was stated that you would never play another world more than once.
From the announcement page:
“Our next tournament will be an extremely intense, exciting four-week-long tournament battle. The shorter format will ensure that worlds will not be repeatedly matched against one another, which will more closely resemble a true Swiss-style tournament. Each matchup will be unique, and every win—or upset—will make a huge difference!”

I do see that the words “repeatedly” and “unique” were used. Maybe to me, but repeatedly means more then 3 times. Having the same match up once doesn’t mean that it’s “repeatedly”. And unique? Well yeah, of course it’s unique. You faced them once before, and should know a bit more of how they operate, and how to counter them. It’s not going to be the same fight as it was before (that is if you took notes, and tried to learn what worked, and what didn’t).

In short. I don’t feel Anet lied, or was trying to mislead, by that statement, and it’s just misinterpreted as an excuse to rant and rage about it.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in WvW

Posted by: omica.6548

omica.6548

Where do we lodge a formal complaint? The matchup were suppose to be Swiss Style. After the first match, 1st place servers play other 1st place servers, 2nd place playes 2nd place servers. That worked up to this last round. DB came in second in the 3rd round and should not be playing Yaks for the third time. Clearly Yaks is the top server of the NA Silver league. With this last matchup ANET has placed DB at a numerical disadvange. At best we can come in third place, even though to this point only Yaks has beaten us. The glicko score shows where we should be place overall. I cry foul on ANET for changing the matchup for the final week.

GOTL – DragonBrand
Ranger, Thief and Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Snowreap.5174

Snowreap.5174

it is swiss style, with 5/3/2 scoring for first/second/third.

after the first week, all the servers that came in first have 5 points so they play each other. the servers that came in second all have 3 points so they play each other, and so on.

but the next week, the matchups are assigned based on points. the top 3 servers get matched to each other (typically that’s 1 server with 10 points against 2 servers with 7 or 8 points each).

in week 4, DB is playing CD and YB because YB has 15 points (3 wins at 5 points each), CD has 12 points (2 points for third place week 1, 5 points for first place week 2, 5 points for first place week 3), and DB has 11 points (two second place finishes at 3 points each and one first place finish at 5 points). 15 points, 12 points and 11 points are the top 3 for NA silver, so that’s why you’re matched together.

that’s how Swiss Style works. the people who have won the most (i.e. have the most points) play others who have also won a lot.

-ken

The Purge [PURG] – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Well explained snow reap. Hard to believe people do not understand how this works 4 weeks in…. Especially when season 2 was similar except it was 5-3-1…..

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

CD here. We had.

Week 1 – YB-DB-CD
Week 2 – CD-DR-BP
Week 3 – CD-SbI-IoJ
Week 4 – YB-DB-CD (???)

Yeah, what happened to no repeat matches ?

DB here, I can’t wait for next week.

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

DB here, I can’t wait for next week.

yeah, next week would be different. post season, and we’ll get Mags. hopefully Mags still have fighting guilds. i don’t believe the meltdown news.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

And give Anet money for neglecting WvW? No thanks. I’ll continue to suffer.

There is always the option to delete all toons and switch for free

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in WvW

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

How did my hypothetical become a Q/A question?

Anyway, the final result shows how ridiculous this plus the extra point for 3rd place is. SoS gets 2nd place for no other reason than they got more easier matches, despite the fact they lost every match that put them against TC or JQ.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

in WvW

Posted by: Jwoww.4315

Jwoww.4315

The Silly thing is a good match up would of been JQ, TC and SOS, and it never happened.

in WvW

Jwoww.4315

Anyway, the final result shows how ridiculous this plus the extra point for 3rd place is. SoS gets 2nd place for no other reason than they got more easier matches, despite the fact they lost every match that put them against TC or JQ.

Does it really matter when the rewards were tokens after each week, and SOS 2nd ranking did not affect that. No one with any common sense is going to think SOS did better than TC and JQ.

in WvW

Nabrok.9023

Does it really matter when the rewards were tokens after each week, and SOS 2nd ranking did not affect that. No one with any common sense is going to think SOS did better than TC and JQ.

I guess it’s the principle of the thing.

All classes

in WvW

Posted by: WalkinGoon.2408

WalkinGoon.2408

I always had a hard time seeing how any those statements could be anywhere remotely possible with how things are now, and have been for a looong time, at least in gold league. It was just obvious considering the large gaps between the servers, but I suppose it was easier to just slap up some matchup tiers together and call it an update or three.

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind seeing the same matchups if there was an effort to try and balance it for the sake of enjoyment between the servers.

Of course, I might just be jaded about playing on a server that was kitten upon for all WvW “tournaments” so far. But hey, maybe things will magically change on the fourth go around, right?

in WvW

Nabrok.9023

I always had a hard time seeing how any those statements could be anywhere remotely possible with how things are now, and have been for a looong time, at least in gold league. It was just obvious considering the large gaps between the servers, but I suppose it was easier to just slap up some matchup tiers together and call it an update or three.

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind seeing the same matchups if there was an effort to try and balance it for the sake of enjoyment between the servers.

Of course, I might just be jaded about playing on a server that was kitten upon for all WvW “tournaments” so far. But hey, maybe things will magically change on the fourth go around, right?

I’m hoping that by the next time some of those ideas about balancing worlds through alliances have been implemented, but realistically we’ll probably have at least one more tournament with the current setup.

All it would have taken to fix NA gold this time around was a bit of common sense manual intervention on the final match-up. As somebody else mentioned, a JQ vs TC vs SoS match last week would have been unique to the tournament and given an outcome that was actually representative. It would have made no difference to the other 3 servers in gold, BG still gets another win and the other two would still finish in their respective positions.

All classes

in WvW

Posted by: Arozh.6284

Arozh.6284

Same in EU.. 3/4 of four weeks Deso vs SFR (2 of those Deso/SFR/Kodash). And now the week after the tournament is over, guess what ? Deso vs SFR!!!!

in WvW

Jwoww.4315

The failure of the system was that TC, JQ and SOS never played each other, and it would of stopped the ludicrous situation of SOS finishing this tournament second. Because in all reality SOS would of finished third to those servers in that round and never have got that 2nd first place on T2 that pushed them ahead of JQ and TC.

And it’s insane that SOS finishes second, when they are not capable of ever beating BG, TC and JQ, and never did in this tournament.

(edited by Jwoww.4315)

in WvW

Posted by: zhonnika.1784

zhonnika.1784

TC and JQ have fairly even coverage (with opposite strong periods) so we have a close match between us. That’s about all I can ask for when up against BG. I didn’t mind the repeat match, though we were cheated out of an excellent TC/JQ/SoS match. Everyone wanted that match… well, except BG probably

Let’s hope a LOT changes before they have another one of these useless tournaments.

Kashmara – Elementalist | Reapermara – Necromancer
Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: Darksundown.2973

Darksundown.2973

Snowreap.5174: They should have explained it like that before. I’m surprised a dev hasn’t shown up here to say that the quote/topic for the OT was incorrect.

Deniara Devious.3948: I agree! Well said.

How about each match have a challenge rating per server that factors into the match points – where the challenge is based on total score reached and/or difference in scores? The difference in scores that needs to be met to obtain the highest possible amount of match points is determined by server history and recent population increases/decreases.

Blackgate fights fights,
[ICoa] Imperial Coalition
DarkSunDown Dogma (gd) | Xanadu Dogma (mes)