What is "Night capping" for you?

in WvW

Posted by: Neutro.3079

Neutro.3079

Q:

This is a question for Anet game designers! My goal is not to start a flame/troll war, so please do not answer here to give your own personal opinion, not that I don’t care about it! Please let only Anet ppl answer here, thanks!

In the post of Matt Witter about nightcapping, he says:

We feel that everyone should have the ability to contribute no matter what time of the day it is.(…)
Everyone has different off peak hours for whatever reason.

Then JonPeters said:

We don’t want to inherently make logging in at non peak hours less rewarding than logging in during primetime. (…)
There are some things we need to do to encourage you to log in even when your world is being dominated by a massive rush of enemies who live in a part of the world where they aren’t checking their watches to see if the sun is about to rise.(…)
But we are not ignoring the fact that players want to feel like their late night efforts are worth more than just a pat on the back.

So my question is: what do you mean by “rush of enemies who live in a part of the world where they aren’t checking their watches to see if the sun is about to rise”?

Do you mean “people from the same timezone that for some reasons play during the night”, or “people from other regions of earth”?

In other words, do you think that large number of guilds from NA moving to EU servers or from EU to NA servers having most of their playing time when this is the night in the timezone where they play is normal?

I’m not giving any opinion here, I just would like to know yours so I can play accordingly.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

in WvW

Posted by: jaxom.7469

jaxom.7469

An official answer would be most appreciated, so european and especially tagged servers can react accordingly.

in WvW

Neutro.3079

Yes it would be indeed! Comon, be cool guys

in WvW

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

“So my question is: what do you mean by “rush of enemies who live in a part of the world where they aren’t checking their watches to see if the sun is about to rise”?”

In my understanding, he is referring to people who are playing in a much different geographical location than you, whoever and wherever you are.

In short – the community has fixed a developer mistake by turning NA and EU servers into International servers. This is the only way to keep tier 1, 2, and 3 in both ladders competitive.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

in WvW

Neutro.3079

In short – the community has fixed a developer mistake by turning NA and EU servers into International servers. This is the only way to keep tier 1, 2, and 3 in both ladders competitive.

This is your opinion and I respect it. But I’d like to have Anet game designers one, because if it’s indeed what you say, i’ll just move to one of these servers. But if it’s not, i’ll stay on my server.

in WvW

Posted by: muylaetrix.2096

muylaetrix.2096

if people choose to play on servers that have vastly higher ping for whatever reason, what you think can be done against it ?
i guess it can be inconvenient that ‘some’ people that live in a far away time zone happen to be playing on the same server as you…

Muylaetrex, going bananas with [TDA] on Gandara
Camping a keep near you since 2001 !

in WvW

Posted by: muylaetrix.2096

muylaetrix.2096

>>i guess it can be inconvenient that ‘some’ people that live in a far away time zone happen to be playing on the same server as you…

erm, that is ment to read “i guess it can be inconvenient that ‘some’ people that live in a far away time zone happen to be playing on the server you are playing against”…

Muylaetrex, going bananas with [TDA] on Gandara
Camping a keep near you since 2001 !

in WvW

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

LOL

Actually, the people against nightcapping want equality, but don’t see it. Why? Well, a player on a low-activity hour is far more valuable than a player on a peak hour. You know it’s true.

It’s the anti-nightcappers who actually defend equality of all players; and it’s Arenanet designers who stand for inequality. Not only that, but ANet is wrongly blaming anti-nightcappers to be in favor of inequality.

in WvW

Posted by: Aysnvaust.7046

Aysnvaust.7046

Well, I am not an ANet-member, so I am not supposed to post here, but Sky really got me curious: Is it really a fact that on NA servers you face the same situation, that big EU guilds move in over there?
I honestly do not intend to troll, I simply don’t know and would like to.
As for your topic, Neutro, I highly doubt that you will get an official answer to your question here, regarding all those threads about this topic without any ANet statement. But, I would like to know this, too

Poke Menot
Asura Thief
Elona Reach

in WvW

Neutro.3079

Well I’ll just keep trying, I know they are reading the forums but can’t answer everyone.

But since I think this is a major concern for a lot of people playing wvw, i hope they will!

in WvW

Posted by: Exewre.2837

Exewre.2837

if people choose to play on servers that have vastly higher ping for whatever reason, what you think can be done against it ?
i guess it can be inconvenient that ‘some’ people that live in a far away time zone happen to be playing on the same server as you…

What are you talking about?
all servers are in Austin texas. So whatever server you go you ll have the same ping; but you can retrace your route to have less routeurs on the way.
Just do a tracer in Dos and you will see its coming from Austin. In fact when NA is coming in EU, its europeans who have lag. Seems legit Oo

in WvW

Posted by: MoonSpell.4512

MoonSpell.4512

21 hrs ago, must wait 21 days to have an answer form Anet these days.
and it will be " we know that the situation is… and we’r observing… but we can’t …"

when some guildes/players used the weak points of the classification of servers in EU/NA to go high in T1-2, it’s too late to Anet to interfere to avoid that.

but let’s see, a freind told me Anet always surprise their players as they always listen to them, just hope that this surprise wan’t be " removing the WvWvW " xD

STARTED DOWN BELOW BUT NOW
GOING HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER….
~~ MoonSpell ~~ Guardien [FM][GC][VS]

in WvW

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Wasn’t VS the server with French Canadians on it? Now you’re complaining that Desolation has US players on it? That’s a bit rich.

in WvW

Posted by: Darkeh.4539

Darkeh.4539

They screwed up, we know they know….. they will never admit it tho.

One of the ways to make it more fair.

The Interval time of gaining points should be directly based on the total amount of people in the map.

500 people = 5 mins

250 people = 10 mins

100 people = 15 mins

50 or less = 20 / 30 mins

Or whatever, no matter what people or Anet says its WRONG that 30 alarm clockers can GAIN MORE points with less time and effort then 500 can during “prime” “times”

This fked up point system is one of the main reasons alot of WvW players stopped / are stopping.

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Or whatever, no matter what people or Anet says its WRONG that 30 alarm clockers can GAIN MORE points with less time and effort then 500 can during “prime” “times”

This fked up point system is one of the main reasons alot of WvW players stopped / are stopping.

And this is the true crux that so many people ignored/refused to understand. Night capping was never about “forcing everyone to play during my time”.

It was the fact that having 20 more players online at the right hours allowed to you basically sweep the entire map, rendering any previous achievement worthless.

The actions of a few (online at the right time) outweigh the actions of the many (online during prime-time) tenfold.

That’ the real issue with night-capping. And ANet has never responded to it.

in WvW

Posted by: Weris.5248

Weris.5248

all servers are in Austin texas. So whatever server you go you ll have the same ping; but you can retrace your route to have less routeurs on the way.
Just do a tracer in Dos and you will see its coming from Austin. In fact when NA is coming in EU, its europeans who have lag. Seems legit Oo

False, a tracert on IP used by the game locates server near Frankfurt, Germany.

Weris – Millenium Old School – Vizunah Square
Author of the MoS matchups Tools
http://mos.millenium.org/matchups

in WvW

Weris.5248

Wasn’t VS the server with French Canadians on it? Now you’re complaining that Desolation has US players on it? That’s a bit rich.

VS has never had Canadians on it. It was just a rumor.

in WvW

Exewre.2837

Just chek 2 mns ago and its austin for me on EU server… again with 24 routeurs

in WvW

Posted by: kharza.3974

kharza.3974

That is not true for the WvW servers.. they are all located in Austin. The PvE servers for the EU are located in Frankfurt but not the WvW servers.

in WvW

Posted by: Cottage Pie.6215

Cottage Pie.6215

am on Deso and same, Texas :P

Taua Roqa – Desolation since day minus 3

~~~My Elite PvP Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04xOsNW7zTA

in WvW

Weris.5248

Don’t use Geo-ip (all ip are registred in Austin, Texas), but tracert give Francfurt for all ips used when i’m in wvw.
(Ex. http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=trace&host=206.127.159.183)

(edited by Weris.5248)

in WvW

Posted by: Epoch.5396

Epoch.5396

Server is local?

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

in WvW

Exewre.2837

Don’t use Geo-ip (all ip are registred in Austin, Texas), but tracert give Francfurt for all ips used when i’m in wvw.
(Ex. http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=trace&host=206.127.159.183)

Lol an internet site
Keep your informatic tips and lessons
Just type a simple command in Dos. Period

(edited by Exewre.2837)

in WvW

Posted by: KiNgPiN.2075

KiNgPiN.2075

VS has never had Canadians on it. It was just a rumor.

Noone cried about VS while they sit on 1st place with canadian guilds. Why u have to be like that? Rules are ok when u wining but they are not ok when you loosing???

Attachments:

(edited by Moderator)

in WvW

Posted by: Natureswarden.5102

Natureswarden.5102

^^
Gonna borrow that pic if you don’t mind King and use it everytime I see a post denying it. Great find btw.

in WvW

Neutro.3079

Guys I asked in my first post to not start a flame war and that’s exactly what you are doing.

I don’t want my topic to be closed, so either discuss about the main topic and stay polite, or do it somewhere else please.

in WvW

Posted by: Natureswarden.5102

Natureswarden.5102

Not flaming its valid some servers complaining have/had a night cap and your not telling anyone else to leave supporting the false idea certain servers have problems during certain hours.

None of the last posts are rude? and address the fact certain servers saying they have no ability to night cap actually did/do.

Its unfair to trol a forum in a one sided effort to indirectly flame other servers actually working on their coverage if your unwilling to do so. Anet already stated its position in the Night capping and you thread..certain people just don’t want to accept their answers or play a tri faction game properly as was intended.

Your actually lucky certain players have more manners than to tank a thread on insults,

(edited by Natureswarden.5102)

in WvW

Posted by: Belfagor Diabolos.1940

Belfagor Diabolos.1940

I would only add, haw long there will be not a official statement from Anet about unlimited transfers between NA and EU and participation in WvW, so long will be misunderstandings and unnecessary fight on GW2 forum…

Far Shiverpeaks [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

Nightcapping(or ppl across the world capping your regional server) is getting ridiculous nowadays. This is my oppinion

in WvW

Weris.5248

Noone cried about VS while they sit on 1st place with canadian guilds. Why u have to be like that? Rules are ok when u wining but they are not ok when you loosing???

Lol, it’s a fake. CaSu is a french guild with about… 1 people.

in WvW

KiNgPiN.2075

Lol, it’s a fake. CaSu is a french guild with about… 1 people.

Yes? French guild, who speak hebrew and fight under the Canadian flag Thats even better joke then Man-bear-pig mate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf69EEL3WBk
But anyways there are 2 guilds who present them selves as a canadians. And i assure you it isnt fake but i dont see a point o linking the data just so see other excuse about it. Have a nice day

(edited by KiNgPiN.2075)

in WvW

Posted by: Troma.3250

Troma.3250

facepalm.jpg. How many time we have to tell you that it’s a fake?

Here is your CaSu armada, the great canadian army :

http://www.grandcross.fr/forum/profile/Muan/

1 member. I put the “Trolling Emperor” rank to him, because he trolled you all. Tell me how many CaSu did you see at night hmm?

As many VS/PA players told you, we played a lot at night. Ourselves.

co-founder of Grand Cross Alliance
General of Grand Cross Knights [GCK]
www.grandcross.fr/codex-gck

in WvW

KiNgPiN.2075

What do you have to say about this then?

Attachments:

in WvW

Troma.3250

It’s really simple : when i started to build Grand Cross, i sent my friend “rui”, guildmaster of little CaSu guild. Like the name say, they are CaSu, and they all stopped early. Except Muan. Because “rui” is a little bit, ok totally crazy, he made this to troll everyone.

Yes, it made me furious, because i knew this will do a lot of damages. But in the same times, this crazy guy made me laugh.

I mean man, look at the official CaSu song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcRyjkYdDxM

How can you think this is serious? thoses idiots are making fun of you with this big troll, it’s their “trophy”

Like a CaSu member say : “Tsume [07|Nov 11:22 am]: C’est le plus beau HF CaSu”

it means, its the greatest CaSu reward

(edited by Troma.3250)

in WvW

KiNgPiN.2075

It’s really simple : when i started to build Grand Cross, i sent my friend “rui”, guildmaster of little CaSu guild. Like the name say, they are CaSu, and they all stopped early. Except Muan. Because “rui” is a little bit, ok totally crazy, he made this to troll everyone.

Yes, it made me furious, because i knew this will do a lot of damages. But in the same times, this crazy guy made me laugh.

I mean man, look at the official CaSu song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcRyjkYdDxM

How can you think this is serious? thoses idiots are making fun of you with this big troll, it’s their “trophy”

Hahaha thats crazy it made me laugh, thx about that video) But anyway nightcaping cant be solved by us players maybe the day when NA players will be not allowed to play on EU server will come one day but i dont think it gonna be so soon or maybe it never gonna happend.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawg.5376

Dawg.5376

Did you really believe that there was a guild of several hundreds guys from canada, speaking Hebrew and nightcapping for VS ?

in WvW

Troma.3250

KiNgPiN i’m laughing with you at the video now, kitten CaSu idiots hahaha. Oh wow.

Dawg : yes, and the declaration of war of RUIN started because of them. Do you realize euro ladder is now **** because of this troll? it’s the biggest troll in the MMO history i think. I want to beat rui, but in the same time it make me laugh. Idiots !

in WvW

KiNgPiN.2075

Did you really believe that there was a guild of several hundreds guys from canada, speaking Hebrew and nightcapping for VS ?

Well there have been lot of informations about some canadians guild in VS who left for lack of entertaiment or somethink else, i dont know i it has been confirmed even by players from VS.

in WvW

Weris.5248

What do you have to say about this then?

The name of the guild is a troll itself. i’m pretty sure this guild does not exist… (try a search ongoogle). Please don’t use GW2guilds.com as a proof since everybody can create a fake guild on it…

in WvW

KiNgPiN.2075

KiNgPiN i’m laughing with you at the video now, kitten CaSu idiots hahaha. Oh wow.

Dawg : yes, and the declaration of war of RUIN started because of them. Do you realize euro ladder is now **** because of this troll? it’s the biggest troll in the MMO history i think. I want to beat rui, but in the same time it make me laugh. Idiots !

:) From what i have been witnessed lot of ppl from Desolation dont really care what nation play on the server as long as they fight under Desolation flag. Maybe its wrong maybe not but as long as its allowed nothing gonna change about it. I understand that for you could be unfair but lets not talk about Ruin for a bit. There is another great Russian army from Blacktide. They cover +12 timezones. They have massive and well organized members and i dont thing there is any excuse why for example they should not play on Eu servers. And u really gonna have to do some calendar for all WvW guild to cover it. Im watching that funny video again and again)

in WvW

Troma.3250

Oh yeah, i have to tell you something : i know well the Russian on Blacktide. They are the Disorder League (NuGs, GreenFire, Zds, etc) and they are great fighters. We fought them a lot of weeks, because they were Far Shiverpeaks main force. Some fights versus them gave me goosebumps.

but when i see some RUIN members spit on us, i have no respect for this. I hate this. French bashing, free taunt and all this **** are just disgusting.

But on Desolation, i like IRON too. And one day, we had our hardest fight versus Bacon Bacon (Yum) are they still on Deso?

(edited by Troma.3250)

in WvW

KiNgPiN.2075

Oh yeah, i have to tell you something : i know well the Russian on Blacktide. They are the Disorder League (NuGs, GreenFire, Zds, etc) and they are great fighters. We fought them a lot of weeks, because they were Far Shiverpeaks main force. Some fights versus them gave me goosebumps.

But on Desolation, i like IRON too. And one day, we had our hardest fight versus Bacon Bacon (Yum) are they still on Deso?

Last time i saw some Bacon was yesterday on my plate I really never met any other bacons around

in WvW

Troma.3250

in WvW

KiNgPiN.2075

Even that name sounds funny but nope, i usualy play at early morning because o work at night maybe thats why i havent seen them, who knows.

in WvW

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

Most MMO’s I played had EU tagged servers, most with own datacenters for NA and EU.
Almost all of those didn’t have a region lock either, and those that had were easily bypassed.
So it’s sort of the standard thing to do for the PvE game.
If servers would be region locked there would be a lot more whining / rage by those that travel a lot for business and such, like for example the big outcry prior to BWE’s when A.net announced buying the game would be region locked.
This unfortunately affects WvW as well because it’s server vs. server.
Creating separate international WvW servers would either rule out a large chunk of the playerbase from playing WvW at all or would force you to be a member of 2 servers, 1 for PvE and 1 for WvW.
So I don’t see it as a design failure, it’s part of the WvW game and could be predicted to happen ever since it was anounced.

in WvW

Posted by: Nohonor.5382

Nohonor.5382

For me, nightcapping is capping during someones nighttime.

Meaning that everyone is nightcapping someone somewhere in the world.

Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

in WvW

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

I can’t believe people don’t know this, but the WvW server hopping goes both ways. EU guilds go to the NA servers too. Even as far back as Titan Alliance.

Call me Smith.

in WvW

Posted by: Darkeh.4539

Darkeh.4539

Beautiful how you see people defending night capping, then you look on there signature and they all from servers where this is happening, you know your screwed when they change it…..

Yes WvW is 24/7 AND YES it SHOULD BE !

However as stated before and here is just a example to open your eyes !

500 people Fight 8 Hours and GAIN 5000 Points

30 People Fight 2 Hours and GAIN 10.000 Points

This is currently how its going, 30 people on the right time can UNDO everything the BIGGER part of the server did.

WvW should stay 24/7 YES but the point interval timer should be directly based on the amount of people in the map.

The Current system is just wrong and you can try to defend it, but who are you kidding REALLY ?

in WvW

Posted by: dirtyklingon.2918

dirtyklingon.2918

Beautiful how you see people defending night capping, then you look on there signature and they all from servers where this is happening, you know your screwed when they change it…..

Yes WvW is 24/7 AND YES it SHOULD BE !

However as stated before and here is just a example to open your eyes !

500 people Fight 8 Hours and GAIN 5000 Points

30 People Fight 2 Hours and GAIN 10.000 Points

This is currently how its going, 30 people on the right time can UNDO everything the BIGGER part of the server did.

WvW should stay 24/7 YES but the point interval timer should be directly based on the amount of people in the map.

The Current system is just wrong and you can try to defend it, but who are you kidding REALLY ?

and what happens to lower and mid teir underdogs that still manage to compete with larger pop servers in their brackets but always have fewer players on the maps?

learn to meta game bros.

idk why this needs endless threads. use some diplomacy and attract some off local prime time hours guilds to your server.

who doesn’t love wow clones?

in WvW

Posted by: Knasher.5607

Knasher.5607

Lol an internet site
Keep your informatic tips and lessons
Just type a simple command in Dos. Period

Weris is correct, the servers are in Germany. If I run traceroute (or tracert if you are in dos) on the server ip I get a round trip time of about 30 milliseconds. (I’m in Europe). Comparatively the same command to the University of Texas, which is in Austin, gives a rtt of 120 ms and a server based in the New York area gives a rtt of 70ms. A 30ms rtt to Austin simply isn’t possible, in fact a new low latency fiber optic link between New York and London is currently being built which will give a rtt of about 62ms (a 5ms improvement). 30ms to anywhere in America, simply isn’t possible.