What is the future of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Dsybok.1405

Dsybok.1405

I am on Ferguson’s Crossing. We are going on six or seven weeks with the same server matchup, and things have gotten VERY stale. This week almost no one is showing up, and the people who are don’t care, are just there to knock out dailies. When we care we can crush the other two servers and have but it seems like as the weeks drag on, fewer people care. I see fewer and fewer of the WvW regulars who we rely on.

Are there any plans to do anything about this or is it all supposed to be fixed by the expansion?

I am sorely disappointed right now with the game, I generally only WvW and its gotten so dull and painful to play that my play time is pretty much daily’s and that’s it. I presume just about everyone else is having a similar issue?

Ferguson’s Crossing
Ascenion of Elements
Sylvari Ele main

in WvW

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

I think most of the people on my server are hunting for that beta portal this week. not sure if thats the same with yours, but you might have some more people in there again after the portal hunt ends.

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

in WvW

Posted by: gitflap.9031

gitflap.9031

In EU there’s a significant random element to deciding the matchups. Keeps it interesting. If enough NA players lobby for similar I expect you’ll get it.

http://mos.millenium.org/matchups

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

A new map everyone will probably dislike, traits thats totally gonna mess up the balance and lag thats never going to be solved.

Oh and the same stale matchups.

Sorry.

in WvW

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

A new map everyone will probably dislike, traits thats totally gonna mess up the balance and lag thats never going to be solved.

Sorry.

WvW was never balanced: the balance issues will be worse in pvp. Did you notice how four professions completely over-shadow the others? And why would you assume that everyone will dislike the new map? That’s the HoT feature I’m the most hyped about, personally.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Sorry.

besides the big gun event on the new map, the map looked awesome and a feel of being a very large map.
But nothing will change in terms of cumunities and players numbers, unless ranking system or servers changes.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

There will be blood.
And Dollies.
Not necessarily in that particular order.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

in WvW

Posted by: Redg.9807

Redg.9807

EoTM0.5.1.3

“Another testament to my greatness !”
Enid Asuran Trollz [Join] The Asuran Fanclub

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Sever populations being as imbalanced as they are, most servers have at most one other server that it matches up well/competitively with. Look at all the blowouts every week: you allow more varied matchups and all you’ll see are even bigger blowouts than what we have now.

It doesn’t look like Anet is very interested in solving this problem, so the future is exactly the same as the present (except for a temporary bump in population when HoT arrives).

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

EoTM0.5.1.3

Unfortunately this is the path. You best start playing EotM an learn how to fight in changing environments and staying away from ledges. You may not go back to spawn on this map but you will definitely be knocked off to your death. Have fun…

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Dsybok.1405

I think most of the people on my server are hunting for that beta portal this week. not sure if thats the same with yours, but you might have some more people in there again after the portal hunt ends.

Hadn’t considered that, since its unimportant to me, but WvW has been stale for at least six to nine months, so while the last two weeks have maybe been abnormally empty, its not the start of the issue.

I am down to just hopping in for dailies now, which feels like work, and its cut my play time down to an hour or less a night.

Ferguson’s Crossing
Ascenion of Elements
Sylvari Ele main

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Finally decent weather in na (in the northern climates) and upcoming finals I am pretty sure have some affect too

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Vinegaroon.4369

Vinegaroon.4369

Worried about the future of WvW? worry about the future of the game. People aren’t playing wvw because anet destroyed it. Server transfers, lag, utility skill changes, there is no future here.

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Worried about the future of WvW? worry about the future of the game. People aren’t playing wvw because anet destroyed it. Server transfers, lag, utility skill changes, there is no future here.

I have seen post like this since 3 months after release. Yet there are still thousands of players in it on 72 different servers.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in WvW

Posted by: Raelag Arkhen.6347

Raelag Arkhen.6347

Will we get a spring tournament this year?

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

To answer the title question:

It’ll end up like the universe. Either the heat will inexorably escape until it ends in a cold husk of its former self. Or it will implode in upon itself in a cataclysmic crunch.

My bet is on the former.

in WvW

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Will we get a spring tournament this year?

It’ beginning to be late for that. I really hope there will, but my faith is shaking.

in WvW

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

I am on Ferguson’s Crossing. We are going on six or seven weeks with the same server matchup, and things have gotten VERY stale. This week almost no one is showing up, and the people who are don’t care, are just there to knock out dailies. When we care we can crush the other two servers and have but it seems like as the weeks drag on, fewer people care. I see fewer and fewer of the WvW regulars who we rely on.

Are there any plans to do anything about this or is it all supposed to be fixed by the expansion?

I am sorely disappointed right now with the game, I generally only WvW and its gotten so dull and painful to play that my play time is pretty much daily’s and that’s it. I presume just about everyone else is having a similar issue?

[Nors] left this dead server for CD months ago. it was the best thing we ever did. fc is dead, you need to transfer if you want things to change.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: waSte.8640

waSte.8640

I think dead server is in eyes of the beholder. Tier 4 looks dead to me, but its only in comparison with Tier 2. What is FC like T8? Gonna have to bite the bullet and transfer man. kitten is where the population has condensed into. Its also where all the action is.

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

I can’t see a way around eventual server merges. Games merge servers. They all do eventually to condense their playerbase for more entertaining gaming. With megaservers really the only server pride left is in WvW, and that is distinctly lacking in lower tier servers.

Population lock has left too many weird matchups that stay stagnant for far too long. The most WvW fun I’ve had in along time is when T2 was fighting a 4 way battle to see who stayed and who dropped permanently. DB eventually lost the war, and now it seems it will be FA, YB, and SoS for the foreseeable future.

in WvW

choovanski.5462

I think dead server is in eyes of the beholder. Tier 4 looks dead to me, but its only in comparison with Tier 2. What is FC like T8? Gonna have to bite the bullet and transfer man. kitten is where the population has condensed into. Its also where all the action is.

it’s screwed dude. I would be on EB for like three hours and we would not have more than 5 players. this was super common back when I was on it. FC is dead.

in WvW

Posted by: waSte.8640

waSte.8640

I think if you can solo a tower in a matchup your tier should be considered dead haha.

in WvW

choovanski.5462

I think if you can solo a tower in a matchup your tier should be considered dead haha.

oh hey ‘wa$te money’ right? you were on fc with us right? man, bad times if you were dude. so empty so dead.

in WvW

Dsybok.1405

If FC is dead it is because people betrayed their server and left, that is not for me. I have been on FC since I transferred from EU Gunnar’s Hold 3-4 months into playing the game. I have no desire to play for anyone else but the Ferg.

Ferguson’s Crossing
Ascenion of Elements
Sylvari Ele main

in WvW

choovanski.5462

If FC is dead it is because people betrayed their server and left, that is not for me. I have been on FC since I transferred from EU Gunnar’s Hold 3-4 months into playing the game. I have no desire to play for anyone else but the Ferg.

I and the rest of my guild were all like that too. played on Fergs since week 1, the wvw community was cool, but too many guilds left. it became work and our guild leader was having to carry the server so much of the time. it stopped being fun, and we left. the grass is much greener, Fergs not even close to real WvW. good luck finding 10 other people and not getting rolled by a 20man ‘blob’.

server pride is just not worth it imo.

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

I havent soloed keeps (its boring), but I have duoed them vs SFR.

#EUT1isdead #RIPWvW

I dont see any problems for shutting down the last 3 or 6 servers an automatically shuffling them up. Server 27 join with server 22, 26 with 23, 25 with 24.

But Anet obviously do, or it would have happened at least a year ago.

in WvW

Posted by: Stephold.1537

Stephold.1537

Future of WvW is “Community” in any case.
Next step: “Community cooperation between servers”

Find them, partecipate, and support. That’s the only way to have fun! PPT become so dull for people like me.

I saw great stuff in organizations: people who care about not demoralize enemy, keep up the fight, make happy the PPT-addicted, let guilds have their glorious fights as well.

Key tools: website, TS3 big servers, Google Spreadsheet, but mainly the will of people.

Effectively, in low tier server this usually not happend… but try to toss the stone!

Hurry everyone, this is the best game ever about combat mechanic and hack free!!! Something missing in structuring WvW from ANet? Make polite posts on forums

Meanwhile organize by ourselves to make our desired things happening, and trust me, it’s possible! Just talk with your community leader/officers.

in WvW

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

The future? Well if anet continue to do what they have been doing for the last 3 years this:

Attachments:

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Desert borderlands? That would be great!

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Unless they are actually going to do something to fix the fundamental issues with WvW with the expansion then the future of WvW will be the same as it is now, continued decline, a new map and some players coming back for expansion will just provide a temporary boost in numbers, but a few months later the novelty will wear off, and the pattern will go back to the game mode bleeding more players than can be replaced by new players.

in WvW

Posted by: ledernierrempart.6871

ledernierrempart.6871

if WvW were giving actually worth it reward like in the actuall spvp instead of the useless one we have right now ppl would come and fight. even those who usually dont come in WvW. a simple way to gather ppl is to give them rewards for taking action for their server instead of going to the mindless karma train in the edge of the mist becasue you earn more xp and karma there than on the usuall WvW server.

in WvW

choovanski.5462

wvw needs low tier servers to be merged.

in WvW

Posted by: Buell.3701

Buell.3701

The future of WvW is going to be the same as it is now. All about community.

Some of the WvW communities (like the one on Borlis Pass) are absolutely incredible. It’s not about winning or losing matchups or about coverage, it’s about playing with friends, relaxing, and just having a good time. I feel like majority of players expect WvW to be perfect, but fail to realize that it never will. There’s too many variables. If you want balanced PvP then sPvP is your place to be (however I find that the sPvP community is way more toxic than WvW communities).

wvw needs low tier servers to be merged.

Horrible idea.

in WvW

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

theyd make much more money if they merged higher tier servers than lower tier ones the transfers to get away from the huge ques would earn quite i nice sum of money

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

in WvW

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

A mixture between pvdooring and glorified pve farming events like the “world bosses”?

Picture the current latest Maguuma maps, but being like a open payerkilling areas.

in WvW

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I think we need to see incentivized WvW so that servers can look to their communities to participate in WvW for a more balanced population presence.

Weekly rewards for 1st-3rd place, and these rewards should be substantial and worthwhile.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I feel like majority of players expect WvW to be perfect, but fail to realize that it never will.

Not sure where you got that idea. I think the majority would be satisfied with devs who care about the game mode and are willing to put effort into dealing with its issues and improving the player experience.

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

But you just admitted to “betraying” Gunnar’s Hold haha.

I think we need to see incentivized WvW so that servers can look to their communities to participate in WvW for a more balanced population presence.

Weekly rewards for 1st-3rd place, and these rewards should be substantial and worthwhile.

Have you met Seasons? Substantial rewards without addressing coverage wars would have the same stacking results.

In all honesty, expect more of the same for WvWvW. We’ll get non content like Seasons and a fresh coat of paint on a crumbling house like this new map! Most players won’t weather WvWvW core design flaws (I don’t blame them) so there’s a need for a big infusion of new blood now and then. I suspect if any game comes along with fluid combat and open world PvP, WvWvW would collapse.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Grav.3568

Grav.3568

WvW has no future. We know this because it has no present either.

in WvW

Dsybok.1405

I had to leave Gunnars, the person who got me into the game told me to sign up for that EU server because he had friends in Turkey who played. He quit the game a month later and I wound up playing empty maps because surprise surprise everyone in EU is asleep when I am playing at 9 PM California time. I chose Ferg after looking at all the available NA servers which had free transfers at the time. It was and still is often brutal to be a Ferg but I am no quitter.

I actually am a huge quitter, when we get down to like 50 ppt I will go do world boss train or wander around cutting down trees before I will try and fight it out with 10 to 1 odds. But I won’t quit my server.

Ferguson’s Crossing
Ascenion of Elements
Sylvari Ele main

in WvW

Posted by: Jaising.7253

Jaising.7253

You forgot to mention cmdrs tagging up drunk screwing up maps, Any organized WvW goes though TS which has kitten berating you for any mistake or blaming you for all of them.

Like I play GW2 to listen to some pimply faced elitist kitten on me for playing a video game, I think there enough crow to eat in real life never mind some wanbe videogame hero.

Lastly I started playing and have tried to play this game for WvW only but it full of hacks, bots. afkers, elite punks, drama to the lama its actually not fun to play anymore.

Flame on don’t care, Iv’e heard enough crap from my server to know its full of lousy people, not play skill, just ignorant, self entitled ……. you get the rest.

FA server sucks stay away.

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

You forgot to mention cmdrs tagging up drunk screwing up maps, Any organized WvW goes though TS which has kitten berating you for any mistake or blaming you for all of them.

Like I play GW2 to listen to some pimply faced elitist kitten on me for playing a video game, I think there enough crow to eat in real life never mind some wanbe videogame hero.

Lastly I started playing and have tried to play this game for WvW only but it full of hacks, bots. afkers, elite punks, drama to the lama its actually not fun to play anymore.

Flame on don’t care, Iv’e heard enough crap from my server to know its full of lousy people, not play skill, just ignorant, self entitled ……. you get the rest.

I gotta be honest, that rant was a little random and tiny bit weird.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

WvW is the history of mankind…

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

I’ve asked many times why this year we have had no WvW season at all.

crickets

crickets

crickets

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

I wish I could give one million +1s.

Really.

Report bad players.

Report hackers.

And find a server that has your views – I finally did for the most part.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

[..]
is it all supposed to be fixed by the expansion?
[..]
I presume just about everyone else is having a similar issue?

Let me look into my crystal ball … but first you must cross my palm with silver! No? Hmm okay no ball!

Three questions, three replies;

1. What is the future of WvW?
    The future of WvW is more of the same, a huge influx of players when the expansion comes out and then a quick drop-off in population followed by a slow drop-off. By early 2016 (maybe sooner) I think we will be back to the same state we are in now (presuming Arenanet just release the new map and one new siege type as they have revealed, and fail to address the other ongoing issues).
  • is it all supposed to be fixed by the expansion?
    I don’t know. The impression I get is that from Arenanet’s position the answer to this is, “Yes”.
  • I presume just about everyone else is having a similar issue?
    Presume away! We (in mid-tier EU) are fine in terms of relative population. Touch wood, wish upon a star, don’t walk under ladders, wwjd, a rolling stone gathers no moss, etc…
Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

In EU there’s a significant random element to deciding the matchups. Keeps it interesting. If enough NA players lobby for similar I expect you’ll get it.

The same element is present in NA matches. It just doesn’t work because NA servers are more stacked – no language separation.

Quick and dirty bar graph attached to show the problem.

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: gitflap.9031

gitflap.9031

The same element is present in NA matches. It just doesn’t work because NA servers are more stacked – no language separation.

Quick and dirty bar graph attached to show the problem.

Ouch!