What is the general view of buying guilds

in WvW

Posted by: Cachu.9067

Cachu.9067

Buying guilds through paid transfer. Just wondering what people think about this?

All fair in love and war?
Gutted servers?
Displaced guilds?
Not what you were hoping for?
Just fine?

This isnt a poll just wondering how people feel about this kind of transaction

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I personally find it quite pathetic.
But then again, if guilds are willing to sell themselves it is their loss I suppose.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Cachu.9067

We have sports in real life that poach players all the time, its accepted practice, to the highest bidder goes the spoils.

Is WvW emulating this accepted behaviour? I wonder how many top tier servers are willing to do this just to be number one?

Does Server Loyalty mean anything, is there such a thing as community support when theyre outsourced players. If you win though does it matter?

Curious.

in WvW

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

the word for it would probably turn into kitten something.

For the Toast!

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

We’re probably 15 months too late for this conversation.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

What do you claim is buying guilds? Is it paying for their transfers, either in part or wholly? Is that buying guilds?

Is buying guilds paying gold in excess of transfer to fees? or would it be buying guilds if you paid them 2 transfer fees for their entrance and exit from a server. and gold on top of that?

define buying guilds please.

in WvW

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

also, who wants to work with a guild that can be bought. They will turn on you as fast as they turned on their other server.

For the Toast!

in WvW

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

If we talk about our feelings on this more, I feel that those who are buying guilds with their hard earned (with Visa) gold will definitely stop buying guild as they will know the error of their ways. C’mon guys, let’s really let them know how we feel!

[DONE]

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

What do you claim is buying guilds? Is it paying for their transfers, either in part or wholly? Is that buying guilds?

Is buying guilds paying gold in excess of transfer to fees? or would it be buying guilds if you paid them 2 transfer fees for their entrance and exit from a server. and gold on top of that?

I would define it as givin them gold, whether for transfer fees or whatever.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Cameron.6450

Cameron.6450

Never been a fan of buying guilds in any way. I’m of the opinion that if you want a guild to come to your server, make it a strong community that people want to engage in. If they didn’t want to come to your server aside from the gold incentive, what’s to stop them from leaving again when someone bigger comes a knocking?

As a common practice, it also screws over the smaller servers who have fewer people to build up the gold required to transfer guilds over. If each person on a T1 server put in 1g, and everyone on dr/gom/ar put in 1g, t1 could buy a lot more.

Tomeslave and others – [RISE], [xDDD]

in WvW

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

Paying to transfer a guild = buying

Assisting in the transfer cost = buying

Now… if they are coming ANYWAY and you are just speeding the process… thats fair. But so far I have known about 2 guilds that got assistance in their move. Both guilds came on… then were gone again cause some other server “assisted” with their move.

It shows a deep mercenary mentality for a guild to accept that in 90% of the cases. They are very likely to leave again when someone else gives them a good offer for assistance.

If you are wholely buying the guild (some of the T1 servers) then I personally consider it match manipulation and should be banned by Anet.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

in WvW

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

I don’t see a problem with it.

It’s the result of ANet’s design philosophy, completely.

ANet demanded we have 24/7 coverage, something maybe 2 servers had at the launch of the game. They allowed free transfers far too long which did nothing towards engendering server pride. And then, the ultimate business move, implement paid transfers and watch the money flow right into their pockets.

People who are being assisted in their transfers are playing the game exactly as it was played during the free transfer era, except without the free transfers. The mindset is the exact same, except it’s a lot more collaborative on the side of the receiving server, now that most guilds require funds to facilitate these moves.

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

The way I look at it is that the guild was gonna move, and if a server is willing to pay for the transfer costs, then they are gonna benefit from moving even more. It is the freedom of the guild players to move, and the freedom of the server to offer to pay for the move.

Is it right or wrong? Who are we to judge that? We all bought the game, and we all have the same freedom to move.

Me, I have server loyalty. I have never transfered from a server in any mmo (except when the servers were merged).

in WvW

Posted by: Hobbitz.5831

Hobbitz.5831

I’ll do you one better, I’ll describe the situation.

SoR dominated BG through the first 3 days of its match up last week. Sunday night going into Monday morning Blackgate paid a Russian guild an extremely large sum of gold to transfer to their server just for the league. The guild has already stated that they have no intentions of staying on BG and are only be paid to help them win league. As SoR has no players in their particular time slot (9aPST/12pEST) the guild continues to flip all borderlands uncontested.

Now SoR players are quitting the game left and right. The league was viewed as the savior of WvW for a large section of the base but now that one server has gone to the extreme to literally ‘pay-to-win’ a lot of the player base has lost faith in leagues and ArenaNet.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

We have sports in real life that poach players all the time, its accepted practice, to the highest bidder goes the spoils.

But in sports (at least in US sports leagues) this is generally regulated by salary caps — preventing teams from dominating just by having deeper pockets.

in WvW

Posted by: Titan.3472

Titan.3472

SoR dominated BG through the first 3 days of its match up last week. Sunday night going into Monday morning Blackgate paid a Russian guild an extremely large sum of gold to transfer to their server just for the league. The guild has already stated that they have no intentions of staying on BG and are only be paid to help them win league. As SoR has no players in their particular time slot (9aPST/12pEST) the guild continues to flip all borderlands uncontested.

Now SoR players are quitting the game left and right. The league was viewed as the savior of WvW for a large section of the base but now that one server has gone to the extreme to literally ‘pay-to-win’ a lot of the player base has lost faith in leagues and ArenaNet.

Now I know what people mean when they talk about SoR drama and propaganda… Funny.

in WvW

Andrew Clear.1750

Honestly, I don’t really feel sad for you on this part. SoR, JQ, and BG have gone months in their little bubble, not caring at all about the rest of the WvW community. Now, you guys are starting to feel what 21 other serves have been feeling for months. A lot of the players on JQ, SoR, and BG transferred there from the 21 other servers, and it hurt those servers.

IoJ got destroyed by the preseason transfers. Anvil Rock dropped like a rock during the summer, when no one even knew about transfers. Kaineng, DB, dropping like rocks as people transferred off.

Some of those guilds were bought. And, actively recruiting guilds, whether paying for them or not, is what YOUR SERVER, JQ, and BG have been doing for a while now.

Servers rise and fall in this game. SBI was once in your position, and we lost a lot of guilds in Jan. Now, where are a lot of those guilds and players now? On SoR, BG, and JQ.

You have hit a rough patch, and your server is falling apart. But, let me tell you, if you handle it correctly, you will be able to salvage it. If you keep acting this way, you will drop. People will transfer, and you will have to build back up your community.

Ultimately, you win and lose as a server. The community needs to come first. We have built up a good community on SBI, and after falling to FA, we came together, fixed our problems, and no one left. We didn’t implode, like deathtouch on maguuma kept predicting we would.

in WvW

Andrew Clear.1750

But in sports (at least in US sports leagues) this is generally regulated by salary caps — preventing teams from dominating just by having deeper pockets.

Only the NFL has a real salary cap. The rest are a joke. Baseball does not have one and the disparity shows. The NBA doesn’t have a true cap either, and again, the disparity shows.

in WvW

Posted by: SpehssMehreen.5897

SpehssMehreen.5897

Now I know what people mean when they talk about SoR drama and propaganda… Funny.

woah? wtf? propaganda? Its been openly known that servers (not just bg but its the biggest example) have been purchasing guilds, for the example of BG its devoured Kain, DB, parts of smaller servers in the form of several PVX guilds and now guilds from EU, although BG is not the only one encouraging guilds to transfer to the server, the Fundraisers, guild taxes and the Warchests are very well known, you dont even have to be from BG to know this , so i have no idea where this is coming from

in WvW

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

lame but there is no legal way to stop it really

in fact anet is making money from it so…

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in WvW

Posted by: Titan.3472

Titan.3472

Some how I knew this would turn into a QQ thread. I think SoR needs to take a long look into the mirror, and stop trying to blame Guild Transfers for their own failings.

Well, SoR’s Favorite book is “Excuse Book”

Attachments:

in WvW

Andrew Clear.1750

And, don’t the players have the freedom to move around in this manner? Quit blaming Anet because they are making money. The truth that people don’t want to see, is that the players are choosing to do this, on their own free will. They have the same right to leave your server as they do to stay on your server.

in WvW

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

And, don’t the players have the freedom to move around in this manner? Quit blaming Anet because they are making money. The truth that people don’t want to see, is that the players are choosing to do this, on their own free will. They have the same right to leave your server as they do to stay on your server.

ah there are quite few guilds who didn’t leave original server if they didn’t get paid

it doesn’t matter tbh, wvw has so many issues, paid guilds is not only one

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in WvW

Posted by: Elrithium.4015

Elrithium.4015

Well to be honest I don’t really care abt the purchasing of guilds by the richer worlds cus its the guilds choice to be mercs and work for gold or $$$. I’m from SOR too and last night I witnessed players morals collapsed to a disappointing lvl at 1 pt in eb due to the coodinated atks by 2 worlds (we have screenshots to prove it but whats the point?) and most players left EB. What I wanna say is we rise and fall as a server and I’ll like to commend on our commanders last night for rallying the few of us remaining to get back our 1/3 of the map from having 0 spots at 1 pt. There’s no pt in talking abt guild selling themselves as it is their choice to do it and we have to deal with it as a whole as this is all part of the game.

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

You can’t buy guilds. You can only rent people who have no loyalty.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: Elrithium.4015

Elrithium.4015

OK buying services of guilds?? So long u get the idea its fine…

in WvW

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

I personally dont think that paying guilds transfer costs = buying guilds. If a community is able to raise the funds to provide transfer costs for a guild to join them then there is nothing wrong with it doing so. If a community cannot rally the support of it’s members to make the whole team better…well that team isn’t as good as it thought it was…

in WvW

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

They can do it, but my experiences are that guilds that get “bought” will rarely stick around if things get rough and will instead find somewhere else. If you buy a server, you can basically count on them not really being loyal to your server and acknowledge that they are probably there only for as long as it suits them (or until someone offers them something better).

There is a difference too between helping pay transfer costs, to saying “We’ll pay your transfer PLUS _ gold to come here”

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Obviously it shows that guild as having no loyalty towards a server. But honestly, who cares?

The pug players usually dont, certainly not on Desolation. They show up when we win to easy credit and achievements. And the moment the going gets tough, theyre gone and you dont see or hear from them anymore.

Why do we hold guilds to a higher standerd? Its still a game afterall. If they would rather move to another server, why would this be a problem? Someone already made the comparison to real-life sports were athletes/players are changing clubs all the time.

I would certainly disagree with the notion that this is match manipulation. Making alliances with other servers was, and is, considered to be A-OK. Then contacting a guild and arranging for them to migrate and represent for your server should be just fine aswell.

in WvW

Posted by: Retsuko.2035

Retsuko.2035

IMO, I think it’s fine to “buy” guilds. It’s generally known that BG and JQ have a “warchest” which they use to either “buy” guilds or help them transfer over. It’s their gold and they have the right to do whatever they want with it. The same for guilds who transfer over to BG or JQ, it’s their own choice to go there.

SoR doesn’t have a warchest, and thus SoR can’t buy guilds, too often i see people put all T1 servers on the same heap.

Personally, I’d rather see guilds come over to the server i play in because of the community instead of gold. Community is a lot stronger and makes it more fun. Even when you lose.

Retsu ~ Inner Monkey [IM] ~ Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: dragon.8071

dragon.8071

It shows a deep mercenary mentality for a guild to accept that in 90% of the cases. They are very likely to leave again when someone else gives them a good offer for assistance.

If you are wholely buying the guild (some of the T1 servers) then I personally consider it match manipulation and should be banned by Anet.

bg did for zd? zd probaly won’t stay but they are there to help them for this season then probably leave. no intentions of staying long term. yes. it is consider match manipulation but i do not remember anet saying this will violate game mode.

Zerg Doors [ZD]

“Recent Graduate of Maguuma University with a degree in Forums Politics”

in WvW

Cachu.9067

Guilds paid for to play for your server, transfer fees, if the server buying gives them additional “gifts” I wouldnt know. Im referring to paying for the transfer of another guild by the server buying their services to play for their server

in WvW

Cachu.9067

Honestly, I don’t really feel sad for you on this part. SoR, JQ, and BG have gone months in their little bubble, not caring at all about the rest of the WvW community. Now, you guys are starting to feel what 21 other serves have been feeling for months. A lot of the players on JQ, SoR, and BG transferred there from the 21 other servers, and it hurt those servers.

IoJ got destroyed by the preseason transfers. Anvil Rock dropped like a rock during the summer, when no one even knew about transfers. Kaineng, DB, dropping like rocks as people transferred off.

Some of those guilds were bought. And, actively recruiting guilds, whether paying for them or not, is what YOUR SERVER, JQ, and BG have been doing for a while now.

Servers rise and fall in this game. SBI was once in your position, and we lost a lot of guilds in Jan. Now, where are a lot of those guilds and players now? On SoR, BG, and JQ.

You have hit a rough patch, and your server is falling apart. But, let me tell you, if you handle it correctly, you will be able to salvage it. If you keep acting this way, you will drop. People will transfer, and you will have to build back up your community.

Ultimately, you win and lose as a server. The community needs to come first. We have built up a good community on SBI, and after falling to FA, we came together, fixed our problems, and no one left. We didn’t implode, like deathtouch on maguuma kept predicting we would.

When teams are poached from other servers it does hurt the community. How resilient it is in overcoming the hit is what makes or breaks them. Does server loyalty matter if its paid for?

Mercenary situations arise when they cant provide soldiers to do what needs to be done. If the locals cant bring it, then why not bring outsiders that can? Is it really any less honorable or acceptable if mercenaries do for you what your own could not?

Does the Community that paid for the transfers. feel it was their own actual efforts that created the “Win” Gold can buy a lot of things, why not people?

If I were to offer a comparison, would it be like a team who had won the world cup for x sport 1 year and all moved to another country and won it for them the following year. This has happened in the Americas cup race, NZ held the America cup, then Russel Coutts who won it decided to go to Italy and win it for them, and again left Italy for America. If not loyal to his own country, he has shown loyalty to the money.

Is server pride based on monetary value less or even or more worth?

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Mercenaries were common in human history. And they are in this game too.
But beware of them, they will flipp sides whenever will somebody throw them more money.
In this game it means if somebody is willing to pay them transfer, because i dont suppose there are guilds taking money every week so they stay at one server.

And what is the downside of this? look at RoS. That server is going up again, but when they will be high enought to fight Gandara or AG, they wont have enought people so those guilds transfered there last week before league will go away again. Adn the server will go down again (7 weeks from now. 5 to end league and 2 for matches against Gandara or AG).
And the best thing is, it only needs one bigger guild to transfer, all others will follow them abandoning sinkin ship.

in WvW

Posted by: Psykoyul.9147

Psykoyul.9147

Just a small note about some hypocrites posts that can be read here or there.
When we finally decided that we wanted to transfer to an US server (from an EU one), we contacted all top 5 US server at this time.
All 5 were okay to “help” us paying the transfer fees. All 5. No exception. And it seems that the only reason why others didn’t make this proposition is that we didn’t contact them.
So when I see (for example) someone from SoR stating that their server has pride and will never do so… /facepalm.

GM of Soul Reapers [SR] JQ

in WvW

Cachu.9067

Just a small note about some hypocrites posts that can be read here or there.
When we finally decided that we wanted to transfer to an US server (from an EU one), we contacted all top 5 US server at this time.
All 5 were okay to “help” us paying the transfer fees. All 5. No exception. And it seems that the only reason why others didn’t make this proposition is that we didn’t contact them.
So when I see (for example) someone from SoR stating that their server has pride and will never do so… /facepalm.

Thats very interesting, we have confirmation that guilds are offering themselves up for auction, a gem value of x per guild member transferred.

Does this make them objects to be vied for on the TP? perhaps they would fragment their guild so that they could go to the bidder they prefer and co ordinate attacks accordingly, since they are guild mates.

Guild Trading section on TP
Mercenaries for Hire. It could happen?
Another form of Gold farming?
Would players consider selling themselves for services rendered much like current gold farmers do? Server WvW wins, Leveling your characters etc

I dont think there is any comparison with Gold sellers and Players who sell themselves, I think its different, however some may see some similarities? or not.

in WvW

Posted by: thefreezingvoid.8516

thefreezingvoid.8516

Your talking 1 guild. Unless they are 70+ players, they cant make that big of a difference.

The issue as far as I can see is all your fair weather players left when you started losing, while BG’s fair weathers started joining the fight (BG has a ton of fair weathers).

Its sad to see SoR players cry and blaiming it on one guild transferring. One guild cant be why you are acting like a t2 server atm.
Its because your server gave up. Dont blaim it on transfers. Blaim it on your high fair weather population.

SoR has ton of Oceanic and EU population. We saw it during the first match up. Even if it was unorganized they were there.

in WvW

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

For anyone moving to a T1 server, I hope you like PVE. You’ll be doing a lot of it during the long hours you spend in queue.

Osu

in WvW

Posted by: KeeZee.7312

KeeZee.7312

BG will say that they buy guilds to balance the matches but when you look at their match history vs SoR they had won 6 out of the last 7 matches and they still felt they needed more players.

In the end Anet gets money so its all good.

in WvW

Posted by: omniomi.7351

omniomi.7351

The most offensive part of this propaganda is it’s a giant middle-finger to the BG guilds who converted your entire BL to paper and swung the match in BG’s favour BEFORE ZD transferred. It’s absolute nonsense that a single guild tipped the balance and everyone knows it.

Sayan Kotor – 80 necro

in WvW

KeeZee.7312

The most offensive part of this propaganda is it’s a giant middle-finger to the BG guilds who converted your entire BL to paper and swung the match in BG’s favour BEFORE ZD transferred. It’s absolute nonsense that a single guild tipped the balance and everyone knows it.

Exactly, BG already had beat SoR 6 out of ther last 7 matches together and still proceeded to add another guild to stack even further.

in WvW

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

Buygate gives it two thumbs up! Would buy again.

BG has a two-step, highly-skilled process for securing gold 1:

1) Didn’t win the last fight? Bring a bigger zerg.

2) Out of players to increase zerg size? Buy more players.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: SonofNoob.3102

SonofNoob.3102

SoR completely folded and gave up.

in WvW

Posted by: omniomi.7351

omniomi.7351

Exactly, BG already had beat SoR 6 out of ther last 7 matches together and still proceeded to add another guild to stack even further.

Fair enough and I don’t disagree but the start of the swing from an SoR victory to a BG victory last week happened during NA primetime when BG and SoR are pretty evenly matched. Outside of the NA timezone BG also recently lost a number of large guilds, with ZD Blackgate is at or even below previous extra-na coverage levels.

Tier 1 fluctuates a lot. Guilds come and go, fair weather players surge and recede, and the politics and game meta are constantly evolving. For SoR to blame their loss on any one factor is disingenuous at best.

Any shoe you try to put on one Tier 1 server will fit on the other two it’s how we all became Tier 1. When a server loses they need to own up to it, identify the real problem, and fix it. Creating a scapegoat helps no one.

If you read the match-up threads going back to when BG first started to consistently place in Tier 1 SoR forum patrollers have always had it out for BG; they dislike BG passionately and it’s not surprising they would look to place blame on BG and not themselves.

Sayan Kotor – 80 necro

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

Wait, wait, wait…..

People buy guilds? For what? If you say because the scoreboard matters, well never mind, please say that.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Butter.3024

Butter.3024

From the buying server – we gotta do what we gotta do to win, this is war
From the server that is losing – omg scrubs using gold to win not skill

Depends on different perspective

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

I could only laugh harder if I found out people were Credit Carding gems to bankroll these transfers.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

Is this another BG/SoR thread? Anet get it together and make a SoR/BG love nest forum already.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

KeeZee.7312

Fair enough and I don’t disagree but the start of the swing from an SoR victory to a BG victory last week happened during NA primetime when BG and SoR are pretty evenly matched. Outside of the NA timezone BG also recently lost a number of large guilds, with ZD Blackgate is at or even below previous extra-na coverage levels.

Tier 1 fluctuates a lot. Guilds come and go, fair weather players surge and recede, and the politics and game meta are constantly evolving. For SoR to blame their loss on any one factor is disingenuous at best.

Any shoe you try to put on one Tier 1 server will fit on the other two it’s how we all became Tier 1. When a server loses they need to own up to it, identify the real problem, and fix it. Creating a scapegoat helps no one.

If you read the match-up threads going back to when BG first started to consistently place in Tier 1 SoR forum patrollers have always had it out for BG; they dislike BG passionately and it’s not surprising they would look to place blame on BG and not themselves.

BG and SoR have always hated each other. Started way back when……….guess what……BG was constantly winning against SoR and SoR was stuck fighting them for about 2-3 months back to back.

(edited by KeeZee.7312)

in WvW

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

idc cuz beastgate4life, son !

Are you Shpongled?