Why 300 range on guard Staff 1 now?

in WvW

Posted by: Dagger.2035

Dagger.2035

Without a good non-reflectable ranged option the Guardian just feels subpar compared to the Revenant and Necromancer. There’s a natural ebb and flow to fights where you have to switch back and forth between your ranged weapon at chokepoints and melee weapon when pushing. If you are melee only you are sitting there with your thumb up your kitten half of the time.

A guardian will always be needed for support, but without a good range option the class doesn’t bring as much damage pressure and is less fun to play. I still have a hammer Warrior, but I haven’t touched it since HoT. Revenant and Necromancer are far more effective.

Human Thief [DOA]
Sorrows Furnace

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

Without a good non-reflectable ranged option the Guardian just feels subpar compared to the Revenant and Necromancer. There’s a natural ebb and flow to fights where you have to switch back and forth between your ranged weapon at chokepoints and melee weapon when pushing. If you are melee only you are sitting there with your thumb up your kitten half of the time.

A guardian will always be needed for support, but without a good range option the class doesn’t bring as much damage pressure and is less fun to play. I still have a hammer Warrior, but I haven’t touched it since HoT. Revenant and Necromancer are far more effective.

and there are alot of other classes that does not have non-reflectable ranged options at all – good or not

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Staff is still EXTREMELY strong on guardian, but it now lacks any kind of pressure. It’s purely for support (skills 2~5) now.

Oh well, we’ll adapt and change

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Because ‘you can hit through walls and gates’.

Why is this an issue now? After 5 years. All aoes can hit through gaates anyway, why is it an issue for guardians?

Exactly what I was wondering, condi engineers with flame throwers are much more effective and can hit through gates too, does this mean the flame thrower is going to be a melee weapon too?

except guardy’s staff is not melee wepon due to still having over a twice as much range as actuall melees [300 vs 130]

and guardian with this nerfed staff can still quite effortlessly outtag any melee class.

Is this a serious argument?
At 300 range you are already engaging in a close quarters fight.
300 range is an utter nonsense,the staff now effectively has no basic attack.
In the end,since they decided to destroy the weapon for reasons only they know,and the excuse about being able to hit through gates is N/A here(if that was the case all such abilities would be set to 300 range),they might as well make it a proper melee attack and not the pathetic mouse sneeze that it is now.

Is there any staff Guardian that finds this skill useful in any way?
Where they will approach an enemy or a zerg at 300 and they won’t switch to a melee weapon?

The way it is now the staff is dead weight.
Before you could use it as a mid range option,and take a melee weapon in the other slot.Now you either take a melee weapon and have 0 ranged capability,or take a ranged weapon and your melee capability is reduced to kitten.
Or you don’t take a staff,wtf,who likes staves anyway…

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

in WvW

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

Give back about 25% of the range and reduce the cone by 10 degrees (and its animation/sprite) and its fine. With the other changes, its a huge DPS loss to even put staff on for those 8 seconds. Almost not worth taking anymore but it still has its place for empowers and lines.

Maguuma Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Yuffi.2430

Yuffi.2430

But since staff occupies a weapon slot as a support only tool now this is almost the same as Engi or Ele – one “effective” weapon slot. Do Guardian other skills make up for this in the same way that Ele attunement or Engi kits do?

in WvW

Posted by: Lionwait.4815

Lionwait.4815

Most of the time I don’t read the forums and or post. Because it is a sea of sorrows full of ignorance. Most of all the GM’s I call the speech police. Give the most ignorant of answers like the one you guys are complaining about. But today you are in luck. I have the answers. The NERF happened because of the new trait “Righteous Instincts”. Having such a trait inducing a build capable of 100% crit chance has its ramifications. Live with it and move on to another weapon.

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

But since staff occupies a weapon slot as a support only tool now this is almost the same as Engi or Ele – one “effective” weapon slot. Do Guardian other skills make up for this in the same way that Ele attunement or Engi kits do?

This is a terrible argument comparing apples to oranges.
-No one is forcing you to use Staff on one of your two weapon slots.
-Support weapons are effective, otherwise you would have already been making this senseless argument before the change – I assume you gladly equipped staff before, and probably still do. Please learn how to use it if you want to slot it.

If staff 1 spam was what you initially picked that weapon for, you would have been more effective with pretty much any other weapon set anyway. This entire thread is just people sad that their lootstick is not as looty.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Most of the time I don’t read the forums and or post. Because it is a sea of sorrows full of ignorance. Most of all the GM’s I call the speech police. Give the most ignorant of answers like the one you guys are complaining about. But today you are in luck. I have the answers. The NERF happened because of the new trait “Righteous Instincts”. Having such a trait inducing a build capable of 100% crit chance has its ramifications. Live with it and move on to another weapon.

If thats the case they need to communicate this better, all the uproar for nothing.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Dagger.2035

Dagger.2035

As others have already suggested, I think it’s more likely due to the amount of burning that can be applied with Permeating Wrath and the Firebrand’s Quickfire. Either way the traits should be nerfed not the weapon.

Human Thief [DOA]
Sorrows Furnace

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

Because ‘you can hit through walls and gates’.

Why is this an issue now? After 5 years. All aoes can hit through gaates anyway, why is it an issue for guardians?

Exactly what I was wondering, condi engineers with flame throwers are much more effective and can hit through gates too, does this mean the flame thrower is going to be a melee weapon too?

except guardy’s staff is not melee wepon due to still having over a twice as much range as actuall melees [300 vs 130]

and guardian with this nerfed staff can still quite effortlessly outtag any melee class.

Is this a serious argument?
At 300 range you are already engaging in a close quarters fight.
300 range is an utter nonsense,the staff now effectively has no basic attack.
In the end,since they decided to destroy the weapon for reasons only they know,and the excuse about being able to hit through gates is N/A here(if that was the case all such abilities would be set to 300 range),they might as well make it a proper melee attack and not the pathetic mouse sneeze that it is now.

Is there any staff Guardian that finds this skill useful in any way?
Where they will approach an enemy or a zerg at 300 and they won’t switch to a melee weapon?

The way it is now the staff is dead weight.
Before you could use it as a mid range option,and take a melee weapon in the other slot.Now you either take a melee weapon and have 0 ranged capability,or take a ranged weapon and your melee capability is reduced to kitten.
Or you don’t take a staff,wtf,who likes staves anyway…

it is a serious argument – since forever the main use of staff on guardian in organised groups was to provide buffs while tagging for loot – you could make it ironically strong mid-range condi AoE weapon with proper setup but this setup was mostly frowned upon due to sacrifice of supportive values for lulzy aoe burning proc.

and it is still more effective at tagging than any warrior with “meta” build will ever be or any ranger build for zerging. haven’t seen yet anyone crazy enought to try build thief, engi or mesmer for zergs hence cannot compare with these.

and again – staff is not deadweight for shortening it’s tagging range – because it’s usefullness goes from different skills.

and then again – try to run a few WvW zerg runs as a warrior [whom by many are still considered more usefull than some other classes in zerg warfare] and you will see that guardian had and still have easy time to get lootsiez in comparision

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in WvW

Posted by: Despond.2174

Despond.2174

Wow that’s a gigantic nerf, range and thus cone. There goes the only decent range option. A support weapons doesn’t/shouldn’t have to be a dead weight dmg weapon as well.

in WvW

Posted by: lagrangewei.8516

lagrangewei.8516

the arc just need to be improve so it is more reliable, it is suppose to be a weak aoe weapon. i don’t really feel staff is being nerf, it has actually been buff because shorter cd. it just need some tweaking to make it less random. i would take 180 degree at 300. that is fine and easy to predict, but that random angle that “follow the animation” is a joke, like you can even see the kittening animation in a fight. unless they polish that animation, they have to make the angle more predictable.

RAWR~
Feed the Merlion… before the Merlion feed on YOU!