Why are WVW "server maps" identical?

in WvW

Posted by: fourhim.3584

fourhim.3584

I just started WVW a couple weeks ago, when trying to get 100% World Completion.

As I went through my own server’s zone I thought “This is cool, and looks different than the other zones in the world.” But then when I went to the next one I saw it was the same map. Likewise for the 3rd. And frankly it’s pretty boring, in my opinion, to be jumping around between identical zones.

My guess is that this goes back to “balance” of some kind, but couldn’t they have a balanced map, but a different looking zone at the same time? What am I missing here?

Thanks for explaining the reasoning to me.

in WvW

Posted by: DevilishLyx.2340

DevilishLyx.2340

It’s to keep the balance, what little there is, in WvW.

The plan, at release, was to create more maps and eventually create a rotation system, but we’ve seen how well that has gone.

But yes, this is what happens when part of a game is neglected.

in WvW

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

It’s that way for exactly what you said – balance. Everyone gets the same defenses on their borderland.

Although it should probably have more of an approach like eternal battlegrounds, where the higher ranked server is supposed to have a harder time defending. Whether or not it works out that way is up for debate, though.

in WvW

Posted by: fourhim.3584

fourhim.3584

I get the balance thing. But they could have even had identical structure location, but slightly different landscapes and Vista locations. One could be a cold zone, another a desert, another a jungle, or something like that. Oh well. Just seems unimaginative to me

in WvW

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

Whell, at least they changed the names of camps/towers/keeps

in WvW

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

They really need another EB style map. Its clearly the favorite, its balanced, and its not completely linear.

Maguuma Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I just started WVW a couple weeks ago, when trying to get 100% World Completion.

As I went through my own server’s zone I thought “This is cool, and looks different than the other zones in the world.” But then when I went to the next one I saw it was the same map. Likewise for the 3rd. And frankly it’s pretty boring, in my opinion, to be jumping around between identical zones.

My guess is that this goes back to “balance” of some kind, but couldn’t they have a balanced map, but a different looking zone at the same time? What am I missing here?

Thanks for explaining the reasoning to me.

They didn’t have the time to make 4 maps before release so they copy pasted the same map 3 times.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Cut and Paste is faster than creating a new map. The side benefit is that it is “balanced”.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Crius.5487

Crius.5487

It is for balancing. Each server in a matchup has three natural keeps; Garrison, Hills, and Bay. Each borlderland has three different spawn points; North, Southwest, and Southeast. On each borderland, your server’s spawn point is different from the other two. You can complain all you want about it being a short cut from having to create new maps, but if anet had a different map for each borderland people would start to complain about balance.

Balance vs Diversity, take your pick.

Jade Quarry since Beta

in WvW

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

We’ve pitched the idea before that since most of the servers are based on actual GW locations, it’d be neat to re-skin portions of the borderlands to match the terrain of those locations.

For a (far-fetched) example, the CD borderlands in a CD/Mag/NSP matchup would be sandy around the citadel and northern towers, with the lower towers and spawns being “jungly” and snowy, respectively. It wouldn’t require a new map layout, and they could even probably just re-use existing assets from the PvE maps. I’d be happy with that.

in WvW

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

no offense to the server terrain thing, but my server is Gates of Madness… im not sure if i constantly want to see freakish red landscape on a fairly frequent basis

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

in WvW

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

no offense to the server terrain thing, but my server is Gates of Madness… im not sure if i constantly want to see freakish red landscape on a fairly frequent basis

To each their own, but I think it would cool as kitten to have part of the map look like this. Infinitely better than having three borderlands maps that are exactly the same.

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

To each their own, but I think it would cool as kitten to have part of the map look like this. Infinitely better than having three borderlands maps that are exactly the same.

It would be cool to have anything new at this point. Having new content released would help with server balance simply because more players would be interested to play WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

i put a pitch up a few months ago for a 6 borderland rotation to give folks more match and MAP variation. I dont think anything terribly productive came out of it, but there you have it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Proposal-PvP-Map-Rotation-for-Borderlands

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Everybody want changes. I vote on map rotation not diferent maps

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

purple land with kormir ghost leeching and abadon crying at the corner :P

I cant imagine how would be themed abaddon’s mouth server ~:D

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.