Why do people play WvWvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I can’t figure out why anybody plays WvWvW. There are no rewards, huge costs, and the outcome of all battles is determined strictly by which side happens to have the most players.

Can someone please explain what motivates people to play WvWvW?

Thank you.

in WvW

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

Lots of things to kill

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Fun and competition underpins it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

It’s the only aspect of the game that requires teamwork not just within a party, guild, or squad but across the whole server to compete on 4 maps.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in WvW

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

It’s not the open world realm vs realm pvp we thought it would be but still, it’s this or….dungeons. I’ll quit the game before I bother keeping track of daily grinds again so I wont have the Ascended gear to run fractals even if I could drug myself enough to get through them anyway.

Kash
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: curtis.8976

curtis.8976

becasue i somehow lucked out and looted zap from taking a camp today, i dont know how to upload pics so i cant prove it :P but i swear i did.

in WvW

Posted by: Aisina.4963

Aisina.4963

it’s this or….dungeons..

Pretty much sums up how I ended up being a WvW addict.

S/F Asuran Elementalist

in WvW

Posted by: zastari.1730

zastari.1730

Inertia and the fact that Dark Souls 2 isn’t yet released.

Tsarazi – 80 Asuran Mesmer [DERP]
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: buki.3108

buki.3108

Because it’s the closest thing we have to Realm vs Realm…. for now.

in WvW

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

There is simply nothing better out there for this type of large scale PvP. I sincerely hope that the devs listen to player feedback and make changes that will ensure player interest for years to come.

There are a number of issues, if not corrected in a reasonable time frame, will drive players away permanently. They need to realize that WvW is the endgame content for many players and needs tweaked.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Starscream.7803

Starscream.7803

My choices are play WvW or spend time with my gf. Time to log in…….

in WvW

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

cause its dangerously cheesy?

LOL People like WvW the same reason people like pve.

Its fun
and funny

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in WvW

Daddicus.6128

Thanks

But why would someone spend a fortune repairing armor for virtually no reward?

in WvW

Posted by: Dark Aidget.3879

Dark Aidget.3879

Thanks

It’s the beer…

[Arr][GOAT]

in WvW

Posted by: Teamkiller.4315

Teamkiller.4315

Thanks

Why would you play gw2 to begin with? It’s only virtual isn’t it?

in WvW

Posted by: Ruin.3461

Ruin.3461

Thanks

I can’t think of a time when I’ve ended a WvW session and lost money…

Tier 1 Casual

in WvW

Posted by: crewthief.8649

crewthief.8649

My choices are play WvW or spend time with my gf. Time to log in…….

LOL…you win man.

< JADE QUARRY >
Zabroshan – 80 Guardian / Sorroe – 80 Mesmer
Hands Off My Octopus

in WvW

Posted by: Silke.1695

Silke.1695

While the rewards are no where close to what you see in PvE, they are there. I have found that the repair costs decline with gaining more experience in WvW. Finding a great group to run with also helps mitigate the costs, in addition to exponentially increasing the fun factor. It doesn’t take a large group either, even just a group of 3 can make a difference in the battle while reducing the number of times you have to respawn and repair.

Like yourself, I too was once strictly a PvE’r and could not fathom the mysteries of PvP or in this case WvW. Though once I went in with a good group and began to learn more of the intricacies of the meta-game, I found a sense of camaraderie I never found in running dungeons. I know the rewards aren’t as tangible since you can’t stand in Lions Arch and show off your sparkly new shineys when you win a hard fought battle, but the sense of accomplishment and the friendships you can make are worth more to me than some set of pixels with a Legendary name.

WvW is more than how to defeat X Boss with X skills/debuffs/conditions/Ai mechanics. In this case, you are pitting your team’s skills, experience, and most of all coordination of resources against another servers team. It’s unpredictable and wild at times, which for me makes it all the more challenging and overall FUN. My gaming time is valuable, so Fun trumps any repair costs hands down.

Edited to add: I’m not sure which server you are on, but if you are on mine, I would be happy to have you join me in WvW. Then you can see for yourself if the rewards outweigh the repair costs. Plus an hour farming in PvE or running any dungeon once a day can more than pay for your WvW needs.

Toasted Coaster

(edited by Silke.1695)

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

The PvE got old really quickly. Its not long before you have 100% world completion and your farming the same events over and over again with routine. In WvW, real players add a constantly changing world rather than routine. Sure, its terrible when it comes to rewards, but I like to play the game for enjoyment, not for a carrot hanging on a rope on the end of a stick.

in WvW

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

hmmm

1) Great Lord Flaming Ram
2) Golem aka waste of 1 gold
3) Dolyak slaughter parade
4) Gift of Battle

& many more kitteno fun you can have in WvW XD

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

Sniping with canons/mortar, waiting for the inevitable gatherer to stop and pick an nomnom bush or whatever for his daily only to be crushed. picking off stragglers from a zerg.

in WvW

Posted by: Ironvos.9014

Ironvos.9014

WvW is fun in the way that, every day is different.
It may be thesame old maps with thesame siege and thesame players, but still the outcome will be different.
The reason why it always is different is because there are many many variables that will come into play and change your experience.
Just look at a game like Counterstrike, it was very simple, you had 2 teams and a few weapons, simple maps, you even knew eachothers goal, plant/defuse the bomb. But still many people played(and still do i guess) for more than 10 years. Simply because adding humans into the equation gives it something an AI can never do.

In pve, its basically you vs the RNG, they only wrapped up the RNG with some nice pixels to make it look entertaining

Oh and for us in wvw the reward is the game we play, the loot is just to cover the expenses.
In PvE, the loot is the reward for having to go trough the horrible gameplay :p

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

(edited by Ironvos.9014)

in WvW

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

It’s fun
It’s far far more balanced overall than SPvP
Every class can actually have a few different builds that are useful/viable instead of running cookie cutter 100% of the time like SPvP
Roaming PvP
Roaming PvP
Roaming PvP
Can group with friends and strangers alike to accomplish a goal at any time without spamming “LF X class/build must be able to practice on MY schedule and cannot have a life”
Far less drama and bad attitudes (most people in map/team chat are VERY friendly and helpful towards their server mates, at least here on YB anyways)
Roaming PvP
It’s fun
And Roaming PvP

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

I can’t figure out why anybody plays WvWvW. There are no rewards, huge costs, and the outcome of all battles is determined strictly by which side happens to have the most players.

Thank you.

Because playing against players is more challenging, more surprising and more fun, than scripted content like dungeons, which gets old fast and offers little challenge.

As for rewards, who cares, they are not real, if you are not playing because you find the gameplay fun, then you are doing it wrong.

in WvW

Posted by: fivekiller.1432

fivekiller.1432

i find it rewarding so i play it.

-Desirz Matheon

in WvW

Posted by: sazaw.1347

sazaw.1347

WvW is rewarding.
1) tons of fun than killing AI.
2) comradeship is stronger then pve community
3) server pride
4) Some awesome unforgettable moment that I can’t trade with any legendary.

Repair cost QQ are invalid. You always gain more than repair cost in WvW.

Wrath T – Asura Necro | Don Hohenheim – Norn Guard | Bellcroxx – Human Mesmer
[DKJ] – Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

I play it purely cause its fun. The rewards are very minimal when compared to dungeons and pve. I don’t even get much badges because support classes do not deal enough damage.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in WvW

Posted by: Elrond.9486

Elrond.9486

Fun Fun Fun. I was a stalwart PvE players, but trying WvW seriously with a good party/group is so fun it’s crazy. It’s crazy dynamic compared to the slightly static PvE. Don’t get me wrong, I still love PvE, but WvW is the only thing I can really get into for hours. Imagine a gigantic Dynamic Event of baddies trying to take a major city 24/7. That’s what if feels like.

Zeus Thorsson – Guardian
Silver Moon [MOON]
The Toast

in WvW

Posted by: Aowys.9420

Aowys.9420

For the challenge there needs no other reason.
Everything else is nothing more then a perk.
Dont need carrots just need players that challenge ya to get better,quicker & faster. things that NPC cant do .
Facing players that think is a reward in its self.
Thats just on a personal level add in working together with others as a team adds so much more to challenging yourself plus leadership .

Plus its a great stress reless.

Engineer
Aowys

in WvW

Posted by: Erinshaw.8035

Erinshaw.8035

Tell me a better way to link up with 50-100 people spend time achieving goals. To spend time laughing and having fun. Sure it cost you money if you do your share of upgrading and buying seige. However one night at the bar costs me more and then i cannot remember it.

The Older Gamers (TOG) wvw guild leader

in WvW

Posted by: crystalpink.2487

crystalpink.2487

Because WvW is fun.
When you’re having fun with something, you will keep enjoying it despite no rewards, no bling bling and whatsoever xD

Euphemia Hime (Elementalist), Pinky Pearl (Mesmer), Avicenia (Ranger), Vanille Morgana (Necromancer)
Chibi Asura San (Engineer), Hikaru Masai (Guardian), Selene Minerva (Revenant)
Guild: The Bunnies [Bun] ~ Server: Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: THACO.7021

THACO.7021

there are problems with WvWvW
1) Most (Not all the battles) Are mostly Zerg Battles Yes its possibly to go out with 5 ppl and take out say the Skill point area or a Small Fishing camp or something
but eveything eles is basicly Whos got more people then the other group
2) Most people in WvW (On your own servers and such) Will kitten at you if you state anything negitive or Ask a question such as WHY do you guys like WvW So much?
3) They will Verbol Harass you when you ask said question and start feeding words into your mouth (I Was asking how did we lose a keep we had just camptured for example right away basicly and People started going WHY DONT YOU JUST CHANGE SERVERS FREE BOATER? when in fact ive allways stayed on the same server)

The Man Reason why people like WvW Is
You get to use say … Large Siege Equipment.
You tend to have to Coripsond with Large number of people
You can kitten And Pillage other players who you where able to out zerg

But to me … most of the reasons why ppl like WvW Can be reason you HATE WvW
Example Want me to go over there and help out / reinforce you? K Me and 5 others are comming … only to get ambushed by like 20 people who then dance on your corpse.
(Makes you hate thouse people on said Server)

Most of the reasons people claim they like WvW Are double Edge swords The same thing can pretty much happin to you a bunch ALOT OF PEOPLE Claim WvW To be Stress Free
but just by talking can turn 8 ppl in the server agest you = Not Stress Free I think theres ALOT of Stressed people on WvW Considering in PvE I only see at max 1 person get upset about a joke or something random

Dont like that Event eveyone gos Eh Oh Well who cares Move along.
Dosnt bother them. in WvW State Blah I Hate WvW At times
and you just made half the server your eneime

As Such WvWvW Is VERY Anti Social and very unfriendly.

Try to prove it differently XD

in WvW

Posted by: John Widdin.9618

John Widdin.9618

Because the server I play on has a public mumble, and militia groups that give guild groups a run for their money. Plus it’s fun.

To the fellow above me. WvW isn’t anti social. Your server community is. Your English coupled with what looks like Thin skin doesn’t help either.

There’s bound to be a guild or something willing to take you in, and teach you. You’ll appreciate it a lot more if you know what you’re doing.

Zachary ~ Mesmer/ John Widdin ~ Warrior/ Zazmataz ~ Engineer
Maguuma – [TriM][DERP]

(edited by John Widdin.9618)

in WvW

THACO.7021

but as to the point of … PvE … End game is all about Dungeons? Eh I Guess to some but there are alot of Events (Shadow Behemoth is popular for example in Queensdale or Maw in other areas)
So to me evey single WvW Person who claims that all there is to PvE is A Certain Dungeon to me … dosnt get PvE What So ever
At least PvE Wont rage at you if you dislike a Event or a certain aspect of PvE While WvW Players will rage at you for getting angry for being kitten on your way to the group, and then rage at you for not getting to the commander/group …
good jorb <3

in WvW

THACO.7021

Because the server I play on has a public mumble, and militia groups that give guild groups a run for their money. Plus it’s fun.

To the fellow above me. WvW isn’t anti social. Your server community is. Your English coupled with what looks like Thin skin doesn’t help either.

There’s bound to be a guild or something willing to take you in, and teach you. You’ll appreciate it a lot more if you know what you’re doing.

^
This Right away all you state is Thin skin and come off as Hostile.
Dankys dude <3 Maybe you should relise that eveyone is new at times and insteed of insulting them you could I dunno teach em the game?

in WvW

John Widdin.9618

but as to the point of … PvE … End game is all about Dungeons? Eh I Guess to some but there are alot of Events (Shadow Behemoth is popular for example in Queensdale or Maw in other areas)
So to me evey single WvW Person who claims that all there is to PvE is A Certain Dungeon to me … dosnt get PvE What So ever
At least PvE Wont rage at you if you dislike a Event or a certain aspect of PvE While WvW Players will rage at you for getting angry for being kitten on your way to the group, and then rage at you for not getting to the commander/group …
good jorb <3

No, they’ll rage at you and kick you from the group for not being a Mesmer, Warrior, or Guardian. These events are also scripted and exactly the same every single time.

Again, the hostilities isn’t WvW, It’s the people you’re playing with. I think the only time I’ve ever been yelled at was for taking supply from a keep that had just started upgrades, but I was new and someone eventually explained it to me.

If you just quit every time someone yells at you, you really won’t get too far.

^
Dankys dude <3 Maybe you should relise that eveyone is new at times and insteed of insulting them you could I dunno teach em the game?

It’s an observation, not an insult. Again, if you quit the moment someone says absolutely anything negative to you, you’re not going to get a chance to learn, or have anyone teach you.

I don’t think I’ve ever yelled at anyone in WvW before.

Maguuma – [TriM][DERP]

(edited by John Widdin.9618)

in WvW

Daddicus.6128

No need for hostility in either direction. I can understand liking the play style, even if I don’t.

I was more interested in money. As I’m trying to get the mapping title, it was killing my bank account. I finally shifted to running around naked; at least then it doesn’t cost anything to die. I can’t fight the monsters more than one at a time, but at least I’m not spending money.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Because it is fun. Enough said.

in WvW

Posted by: Thresher.3049

Thresher.3049

PvE players for the last 3 months have 90% of the time told me to bugger off, they don’t want a necro in their group, ever. Same goes for spvp groups, no one wants me there either ‘because your class sucks’.
Or my career is ‘not in our meta’ or whatever the hell that’s supposed to mean, so I don’t even bother trying to figure out anymore what other people’s end-game is

So, I’ll just kill em all.

Some of the most completely selfless and charitable people are in wvw, maybe I just got a lucky server in that respect.

Pinot Noir (Necromancer) Pinot Blanc (Warrior)
KnT Blackgate

(edited by Thresher.3049)

in WvW

THACO.7021

good jorb <3

No, they’ll rage at you and kick you from the group for not being a Mesmer, Warrior, or Guardian. These events are also scripted and exactly the same every single time.

Again, the hostilities isn’t WvW, It’s the people you’re playing with. I think the only time I’ve ever been yelled at was for taking supply from a keep that had just started upgrades, but I was new and someone eventually explained it to me.

If you just quit every time someone yells at you, you really won’t get too far.

^

It’s an observation, not an insult. Again, if you quit the moment someone says absolutely anything negative to you, you’re not going to get a chance to learn, or have anyone teach you.

I don’t think I’ve ever yelled at anyone in WvW before.

Never seen a group rage at you and kick you out … inless its like Fractols 20+ Or something like that
I Was talking about PvE Over-all Dungeons (I have seen pure Mesmer/Warrior/Necromancer w.e groups NAME it and eveyone lolz and trys it out, SAVE for Fractols)

But as to Events or dungeons being the same Evey single time … what about WvW? Isnt it just 20vs20 most of the darn time? Or we counting differance as in different People evolved in the battle or such? (Same with PvE) To me this is based on view point.

And I Dont quit WvW Just becouse someone yells at you or such I Mearly Ask questions Such as Why did we just insta lose said Keep? or Tower?
Or which tower are they talking about?

Granted alot of WvW Experiance can change from server to server, The higher Tier server your in however the more likly your going to experiance nothing but Zerg vs Zerg

In WvW Its kitten or Be kitten or watch a bunch of bodys slam into each other

and who said I Was Quitting? to me WvW Like to put words into people mouths which to me is cute. thus <3

in WvW

John Widdin.9618

Alright, fair enough. Your broken english is difficult to read, and I’m sorry.

Maguuma – [TriM][DERP]

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

Thank you.

Open ended battlefield, uneven and constantly changing odds.

Playing sPvP 10 times is no different from 10,000 IMO. But every fight in WvW is always something different.

The score at the end of the week shows how much coverage and people your server has which is hopefully NOT the reason you play WvW. Because that would be incredibly boring.

Other than that, rewards are decent (not as profitable as PvE of course) and costs are low.

WvW is open-ended PvP. If you don’t like it, go back to sPvP or PvE.

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

Probably in this order:
The Community
Objectives in order to gain points and the defensive/upgrading/sieging aspect.
The Challenge
Pvp but not so much the large scale messy ones, I solo roam atm.

The coming months are crucial for wvw to keep me interested though, it needs many fixes and improvements soon.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: NightfallRob.3762

NightfallRob.3762

Because dungeons and structured PvP are boring. Yes numbers matter, but that’s not all that matters by a long way (as others have pointed out). Once you get the hang of large scale PvP, nothing else in MMOs is anywhere near as much fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Black Ice Spain.9753

Black Ice Spain.9753

i mix battlefield 3 and WvW, large battles everywhere. Nothing is as fun.

But in WvW you can’t just kick in for one hour and hope it will be fun, it won’t, you need to be inside some kind of organization, or at least you need to play more if you need to know what’s up in the map and have some sense of rewards (taking forts/towers etc…), not just hitting a wall endless time

Black Ice Spain – Desolation
Just a remind, whatever i post is my opinion, not representing any community i’m part of.

in WvW

Posted by: Folk.2093

Folk.2093

Why DON’T people play WVW?

Now that’s a question!

in WvW

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

Thanks

Don’t die, and/or repair more frugally.

You don’t really need to repair your armor until something breaks, and even then you can get away skipping repairs for a long time if it’s your helmet or rebreather that’s broken (just play exclusively on land or underwater for a bit, both of which are definitely possible).

If you’re going to die, then die to an environmental effect rather than player damage (such as falling off of a cliff) when you can, as there’s no repair bills for that.

Beyond that, you’re able to play WvW completely naked if you’re manning siege or playing defense. If you’re on a catapult and are firing rocks at people from behind a wall, it doesn’t really matter how much clothing you have on. Don’t bother repairing if you’re not going to be in player combat any time soon.

You learn how to take care of yourself and how to stop squandering money very quickly in WvW. If the only thing keeping you out is repair bills, then you’re frankly doing it wrong. Even siege can be inexpensive if you know what you’re doing; jumping puzzles, badge exchanges, random drops, and map completion all reward you with siege without spending precious silver.

If you’re worried about wasting cash on upgrades, then join or create a guild that’s capable of holding something for extended periods of time. If you can make at least 5s/hour and if upgrading a tower to have oil costs 5s, then if that tower holds for 61 minutes you’re already in the green in terms of investment.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Sho.4287

Sho.4287

It has the most player interactions and feels like playing a genuine MMOG.

Millersund

in WvW

Posted by: Winfernal.9208

Winfernal.9208

Why did i even buy this game? 60$, and no real life rewards.

:(

“Kharomir” – Human Guardian
[DW] Dynasty Warriors, [TNA] The Northern Assembly
http://www.farshiverpeaks.com

in WvW

Posted by: Phule.1968

Phule.1968

I can’t figure out why anybody plays WvWvW.

It’s not PvE where just about every mob keeps doin the same stuff over n over.

There are no rewards,

I don’t know about you, but I get loot and badges from killing my enemies. Taking structures rewards you with karma and loot aswell.

huge costs,

You could always run nekkid

and the outcome of all battles is determined strictly by which side happens to have the most players.

Not really, but I guess it’s the thought of someone not playing in a competitive enviroment.

It’s fun to meet other people who doesn’t keep doin the same stuff over n over, even though some guilds are just one trick donkeys! And the thrill of running into a huge blob of ppl with maybe just 8-10 of my own guys and come out victorious.

Thank you.

You’re welcome

Where’s my X-ray goggles when I need em?