Why do you prefer wvw over pvp?

in WvW

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

To all wvw’er, why do you prefer to do WvW over pvp?

What would you like to see in pvp that would make you want to do pvp more?

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in WvW

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Honestly, i like both. I do Tpvp with my guild to practice and get a little better at just general pvp stuff, like not wasting dodges and learning how to counter certain builds. I also love going into duel servers to practice and test all my theory crafted builds. Then i go into WvW and generally destroy people, since people in WvW are generally a lot worse than in duel servers and Tpvp :/

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

in WvW

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

Beleave it or not, more build deversity. Honestly in tpvp you need to he fotm or get out. Wvw is a little more forgiving in that area.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

There’s a greater variety of builds available in WvW. Though tbh, this normally just means more cheese

Still, you get the occasional non-cheese build that’s really tough to play against and really fun to play against as well.

Also, WvW gives rewards that you can access in PvE unlike in PvP

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

Having 4 sec reveal in PvP vs 3 sec in WvW means the class plays much differently and just doesn’t end up being fun. That and playing PvP seems like I’m using a cheap version of the character that I spent so many hours investing in, just not what I like doing. If I could play on PvP maps with my PvE character I’d play the hell out of that. I know they really want an e-sport thing to pop up but at the cost of what would be obvious fun for a lot of people? Seems like a rather bad idea to me.

in WvW

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

the Uncertainty.

in WvW

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

I love finding random and dynamic fights. I love having something else to do (latch onto a Zerg), and I love finding uniquely large fights that I can do hilarious things like chill/fear the tail end, go Lich and down 7+ people, etc. I love the variability, I love roaming around a world instead of fighting over small objectives, and I love that it’s based on the character that I’ve put time into (via general WvW and PvE).

As shallow as this is going to sound, I also hate how terrible the gear looks on my sPvP character. I really enjoy the aesthetic of my PvE armor, and paying just to play a game mode I won’t necessarily enjoy as much to get a similar look (I use a few pieces of gem store gear, big whoop, wanna fight about it?) just doesn’t appeal.

Sometimes I run into people I absolutely explode, sometimes I have amazing fights. Sometimes I get run over by zergs, sometimes I find really fun small-scale encounters. Not knowing what will happen next is a lot of the appeal, and I can throw in a lot of variation myself by just dabbling in all WvW has to offer.

If sPvP incorporates more game modes, I’ll probably dabble more.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in WvW

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

Large scale organised combat

Commander Nachonix

in WvW

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

More large scaled fights.
Larger play area
More chokes and places where tactics matter
No skyhammer in WvW

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in WvW

Posted by: ILLSPAWN.5340

ILLSPAWN.5340

I don’t have to listen to my opponents cry and complain in map chat. It is unbearable enough to hear my own team.

Commander Justice Iron Fist
RPG TITLES
MMO TITLES

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

I don’t have to stand on a circle to advance.
I don’t have to fight underwater.
I don’t have to stand on a ledge to keep someone from shooting me with pve junk.

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

I play WvW for roaming, either solo or duo.. and I just doing whatever I want. If I see someone and want to fight, I can. I can fight them here, or there, or lure them somewhere else. I can defend a camp, attack a camp, scout a zerg, or go pug around after the commander. I can just do anything and fight in any situation I want.

PvP is fun sometimes, but I get frustrated with the constant feeling I “must” be doing something – I must be guarding home point, I must stay on this point fighting 2v1, knowing I am going to lose because its better for the team, I must fight this OP condition necro on point because if I leave the circle he wil decap it. Its just annoying fighting people in a way which is clearly the wrong way to approach the fight, but having no choice because its a conquest game not a deathmatch game.

It also doesnt help that build diversity sucks in PvP because of the amulet system. In WvW I run a hybrid build which I love, but its impossible to do in PvP. You are conditions or direct damage or both but then very GC. Theres very little middle ground for fiddling stats to your exact liking meaning 90% of people are bottled into some 1-2 builds on each class.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Cufufalating.8479)

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

i prefer wvw over spvp since the last is the most boring pvp mode i have ever played

sitting in a circle with most people running cheese builds gets old really fast

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

WvW is just far more interesting, with a lot more options than PvP.

Its also a lot more social and entertaining, having considerably more players on a map than PvP.

I do play both and they both have there place but I would always choose WvW over PvP as things stand now.

in WvW

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

I mostly do WvW roaming or duels in Obsidian Sanctum arena. I like the increased build diversity, the open space roaming provides and the possibility to have a real crowd of spectators while duelling. It just feels better when they are really there instead of just watching via spectator mode ^^

in WvW

Posted by: MartyPartys.9187

MartyPartys.9187

- Increased build diversity
- I can pick my fights
- The terrain is always different which you will have to adapt to and use it in your favor
- I can kite/lure people to other places I know
- I run in to friends
- Fights are always dynamic
- In WvW situational awareness is key
- Safely disengaging from a zerg that runs over you puts a smile on my face
- I can run the armor skins I already have

And probably alot more

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

SPvP is too small. 5v5 is too small scale. I like the larger fights of WvW.

Now admittedly I’m a casual PvPer, I’ll never be top ranked anything. If there were a larger SPvP mode, like 12v12 – 18v18 and it wasn’t just standing in a circle, I’d play it. So if there were something like AB or Ft. Aspenwood from GW1 that would be awesome.

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

WvW
- Pros

• Freedom of movement
  • Surprises (including fighting larger groups)
  • Bigger areas

- Cons

• Blobs
  • Unfair fights (50 vs. 5 gets boring rather fast)
  • Uplevels…
  • No free gear
  • No customization

TPvP
- Pros:

• Level 80 & gear
  • Balanced fights
  • No zerging
  • Using tactics

- Cons:

• Small area
  • Point-capping
  • No other game modes
  • No customization
  • Bunkering

Oh and adding: I don’t favor either mode. They both have lots of restrictions and lacks.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

(edited by Sirendor.1394)

in WvW

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

sPVP is full of cheese and bunkering and sitting on points etc disgusting.. at least on WvW you fight players with new builds that they came up with rather than just running fotm.

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in WvW

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

I love finding random and dynamic fights. I love the variability.

^ This.

I love hitting the crest of a hill, coming out the other side of a tunnel or turning that corner and being unsure of what exactly is waiting for you on the other side.

No other aspect of the game can do that.
You know whats around that corner. Every time.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in WvW

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I thought I preferred wvw until I gave spvp a proper go, now I much prefer spvp.

Feels way more balanced and I like both the small scale fights and the capping.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

sPvP is a testing playground for most, that’s all. For PvP, Snowball Mayhem is the best PvP in the game. Then WvW is second, not just because of the scale and scope of the battles, it’s because it’s large scale SOCIAL interaction. Without the personalities on Team Speak, I wouldn’t WvW much either.

It actually may surprise the devs but, some people don’t play for the killing, destruction, and adrenaline. This game needs WAY more soul and building! Our characters are nothing but weapons in the game. Before sPvP get’s any more attention from the dev’s, PvE and the living story needs a rethinking.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

What I don’t like about PvP in GW2 is that to win you basically just have to stand in a tiny circle on the ground and live. In WvW you can roam, duel, small team fight to the death, zerg fight to the death and PvD which is just more ways to entertain. If the added different game modes to PvP I would love it more.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in WvW

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

My favorite aspects of wvw:
- I can use my racial utilities (snow leopard form w/ necro is amazing for roaming / bailing bad situations)
- As others have mentioned, builds for classes have greater variety (I saw a spirit weapon Guardian the other day, and he actually held his own with some effectiveness. It was like spotting a unicorn.)
- Map / population size

One thing I wish could be changed:
- PvE commander tags don’t work in wvw
- Commander tags that only guildies can see