Why solo roam on anything besides a thief?

in WvW

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

Would you solo roam on anything besides a thief?
If so – why?

This isn’t a troll. I enjoy having a roamer and a zerger.

(edited by fadeaway.2807)

in WvW

Posted by: Poxheart.2845

Poxheart.2845

For the challenge.

Poxheart
Knights of the WhiteWolf

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

Seriously? Thief is the most boring class ever. You either one-shot your opponent or you run away.

It’s about exactly as much skill and fun as snatching handbags off little old ladies.

in WvW

Posted by: peter.9024

peter.9024

Real men roam warrior!

Skullclamp

in WvW

Posted by: Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Highest mobility and highest chance to escape death from an incoming zerg

in WvW

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

nothing compares to stealth

in WvW

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

A Warrior wielding greatsword and sword and using the mobile strike trait and the Bull Rush skill is arguably more faster/has better mobility than any Thief build; stealth can provide better survability but a lot of times is used mainly as a “panic button” which means that your Thief is not doing the job very well.

So… I think that there’s some classes that can be as valid for roaming as the Thief; I also think that due the nature of stealth the thieves performance is a bit weak in small groups.

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

go roaming with a ranger.

why? If you survive, there obviously was noone online. If you die, the enemy has a zerg going around and you should tell your team-mates.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

I solo roam on my engie only.
why? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cmgYIXdnik

I have a thief as well, it can destroy newbies and upleveled players but anyone who has any experience in this game knows what to expect and how to counter it. the engie however……..

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

in WvW

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

I solo roam on an upleveled Engi to attract thiefs. I win a lot of the fights.

Also Roam on my main Mesmer, and thieves don’t prove a challenge at all. Mesmer is also far better for handling small groups/havoc teams solo.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Stealth is the best way to avoid large groups. Every other class runs the risk of using up their avoidance only to run into another player or group. The thief doesn’t really have this problem. Most non-thieves I have seen roam within striking distance of a waypoint. I don’t see many non-thief players headed north in an enemy borderland because the run is time consuming.

A Warrior wielding greatsword and sword and using the mobile strike trait and the Bull Rush skill is arguably more faster/has better mobility than any Thief build

Maybe. A thief has excellent sustained speed which allows them to run down most builds. The problem is that often catching another highly mobile player means not having much initiative or skills up so the thief starts the fight in a big hole.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

For fun.

I do or lately more accurately did roaming with warrior, guardian, necro and ranger. I also tried thief and mesmer both classes are so kittening faceroll I don’t want to be seen playing them.

Although currently totally bored on wvw and class/gear imbalances especially there even though they also exist in spvp at least not in those lenghts.

yolo

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

in WvW

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

About every class is suitable for roaming in some way.

Warrior, ranger, thief, ele and engi all got fairly high mobility. Guardian isn’t that fast and needs a target, but can be built to be very hard to kill.

Mesmer and necro are the least mobile classes but can at least use stealth or fear to get some space between their opponents and themselves.

So far i’ve seen good roamers of every class. Play what you are good in, the results will be better than just playing thief because of stealth and speed.

in WvW

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

Solo roam with my Burst non glass cannon Ele and thieves are the easiest profession to kill, follow by rangers and then warriors.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in WvW

Posted by: Gully.7358

Gully.7358

Testicular fortitude

Veretta • Guildleader of [oPP] Over Powered PeopleBlackgate
http://www.gw2opp.comhttp://www.youtube.com/user/oppveretta

in WvW

Posted by: Urrid.4593

Urrid.4593

Answer: How fast can you flip a camp solo on a thief?

That is why I roam solo on a Mesmer.

Coral -Mesmer- Omnomnivore and TC’er.

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I solo roam on my engie only.
why? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cmgYIXdnik

I have a thief as well, it can destroy newbies and upleveled players but anyone who has any experience in this game knows what to expect and how to counter it. the engie however……..

I agree. Eng is a far more powerful class overall and is far more fun to play. It’s not as noob friendly though. If you’re a noob and want to roam, get a thief. If you have some skill… get on another class.

Tbh… I can flip it at about the same speed on my thief as I do my mes. Flipping a camp shouldn’t be hard or take long for any class. You just need to have a good strategy.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in WvW

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I don’t see the point of solo roaming, even on a thief.

#1: You don’t accomplish objectives that well. Maybe you can slowly solo a camp or if you hide well you can solo a tower, but in general forming a 4-5 man does things so much quicker, offers so much more power, and offers so much more safety.

#2: You don’t get that much loot. In group vs. group you get a lot more loot bags and experience than wandering around picking off enemies 1 by 1.

#3: You are bellying yourself up for ambush by anything that is built for an ambush, or also anything that doesn’t roam alone. This makes solo roaming more expensive due to repair costs.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in WvW

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

#1: You don’t accomplish objectives that well. Maybe you can slowly solo a camp or if you hide well you can solo a tower, but in general forming a 4-5 man does things so much quicker, offers so much more power, and offers so much more safety.

#2: You don’t get that much loot. In group vs. group you get a lot more loot bags and experience than wandering around picking off enemies 1 by 1.

#3: You are bellying yourself up for ambush by anything that is built for an ambush, or also anything that doesn’t roam alone. This makes solo roaming more expensive due to repair costs.

1- You are right, it is slower but it is a whole lot more fun specially when one or two enemies are trying to prevent you from taking a camp and you got to defeat them first.

2- I tend to get bunch of loots starting from mobs to get my stacks, from npcs while taking camps and lands. My inventory of 7 bags of 20 fill up really quickly.

3- Wrong, a great solo roamer doesn’t make a build only to win 1v1 encounters. The build i have been modifying ever since beta is awesome for 1v1, 1v2 and rolling with the zerg.

The main point is that solo roaming is a whole lot of fun. It reminds me of aion where wvw is the open pvp world. When you solo roam you have to be aware of your surroundings constantly even while fighting a single enemy. Overall, you develop pvp skills that you won’t gain if you only zerg or spvp/tspvp all the time.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Good roamers do not cap camps.

in WvW

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’m not talking about the build that a solo roamer uses. I’m talking about the fact that, as a solo roamer, you can only be outnumbered. Duos, trios, 5 man groups, commander groups, big zergs, the bigger they are the less likely you are to win. Nearly any well built class can 1 vs. 2 in the right circumstances. The problem is that it is really hard to 1 vs. 8 with the right build. At that point, you are a free loot bag to whomever stumbles upon you, and this comes at the cost of your repair bill.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in WvW

Posted by: Silinsar.6298

Silinsar.6298

I’m not talking about the build that a solo roamer uses. I’m talking about the fact that, as a solo roamer, you can only be outnumbered. Duos, trios, 5 man groups, commander groups, big zergs, the bigger they are the less likely you are to win. Nearly any well built class can 1 vs. 2 in the right circumstances. The problem is that it is really hard to 1 vs. 8 with the right build. At that point, you are a free loot bag to whomever stumbles upon you, and this comes at the cost of your repair bill.

If they bring 8 players to counter solo roamers, perfect. That’s how a numeral advantage for your server is made elsewhere. Also, raoming is all about not getting suprised, staying cautious, looking around everytime, choosing random/unpredictable routes, faking attacks etc. You will be at a situational disadvantage when you suddenly get jumped, no matter how many enemies there are, no matter how big your group is. Sure, the chance of outnumbering enemies you come across increases with a bigger group. However, in WvW, there is always a bigger group. You have to learn to evade bigger forces anyway. You’ll get killed sometimes because of being careless or allowing enemies to pull you, but that also happens in groups and even zergs.

Also, as you said, as a solo roamer, you can only be outnumbered. That’s amazing. It’s a challenge, a training and incredible fun. You can’t count on help, you have to stay alive on your own. You learn fighting multiple enemies, escaping them and using the terrain. Your fights will never be boring because of you outnumbering the enemies.

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

Because you can…

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube

in WvW

Posted by: Convenant.7092

Convenant.7092

A Warrior wielding greatsword and sword and using the mobile strike trait and the Bull Rush skill is arguably more faster/has better mobility than any Thief build; stealth can provide better survability but a lot of times is used mainly as a “panic button” which means that your Thief is not doing the job very well.

So… I think that there’s some classes that can be as valid for roaming as the Thief; I also think that due the nature of stealth the thieves performance is a bit weak in small groups.

Using stealth = thief not doing job well? ..What?

in WvW

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

However, in WvW, there is always a bigger group

Not if you are from Blobbadon.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in WvW

Posted by: Kyus.3812

Kyus.3812

The thief mesmer and to a lesser extent ele have some great escape mechanics. However I would argue that if you are looking for the best 1v1 classes the engineer and ranger could be put above these three when spec’d specifically to fight any opponent.

It is that ability of thieves to escape that make them so popular as 1v1, now I have every class in the game at level 80 most of them geared specifically for wvw. my first class was a thief, and it is a good class to play but it depends on how you personally score your success.

In my mind, if you are losing on a thief or mesmer or elementalist and then decide to use your unbelievably ridiculous ability to disengage from a fight to run away and regen your health and skills. I would count that as a loss. For that reason alone I like playing my guardian in WvW you can stay in fights against larger numbers and sometimes get some good victories, thief and mesmers in particular do win a lot of fights but many of them do it by running away or waiting for situations stacked incredibly to their advantage.

Kyús – 80 – Guardian// All Classes Level 80
Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

in WvW

Posted by: Kyus.3812

Kyus.3812

Out of all the classes in the game the fastest at flipping camps solo i’ve played is the Shotgun Shortbow thief, in PVT gear with some kind of regen food (pies, compotes) and spec’d for heal in stealth and inniative regen in stealth. I’ve seen the glass canon thieves do it by pulling guards one or two at a time, but PVT thieves with shortbows can just outlast all the guards and aoe them down with very consistant damage.

Kyús – 80 – Guardian// All Classes Level 80
Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

in WvW

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Thief Condition builds can bleed the kitten out of everything pretty quickly. The most important thing is to hit it when the Supervisor has ~1min left on their invincibility timer.

in WvW

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

I love my non-stealth thief. People really doesn’t expect a thief that doesn’t stealth, so I win most of the fights

I wouldn’t trade my thief for any other roaming profession

Melder – Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Rez.2578

Rez.2578

If they bring 8 players to counter solo roamers, perfect. That’s how a numeral advantage for your server is made elsewhere.

Unless they just have 8 more people on that map/server then your team does…

@Topic Title, Mesmer and Thief are the 2 easiest classes to solo roam on since you can mess up or get outplayed and still easily get away or even win because of stealth/teleports. Anyone who solo roams on any class other then Thief or Mesmer does so because of preference not because of effectiveness.

Rezz[Invi]

in WvW

Posted by: irishhaf.1692

irishhaf.1692

(this is prior to the cat nerf) because when I spiked a thief with my ranger I could feel the rage flowing through the computer and it made me giggle.

Deritt ranger lv 80 (Un-retired… liking longbow)
Devona Borders (DB)
Devonas rest.

in WvW

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

in WvW

Posted by: Jharkin.9357

Jharkin.9357

Pretty simple to roam with as a mesmer /w centaur as well. Have 13 seconds of stealth and 100% uptime on speed.

in WvW

Posted by: FooDang.2498

FooDang.2498

I Solo roam with D/D ele, Necro, and Eng, no problems so far, perma stealth thieves are for Trolling and nothing more

Every vet WvW player has never said “kitten that thief killed me, he has pro skills”

but quite a few people I’ve grouped with that mains thief tries to roam with an alt and says, " kitten this I keep dying, brb on my thief " lolz

not saying every thief is bad at playing the game, ive grouped with skilled players that are just as good with alts, im just saying those that play thieves are either

1. people that need that stealth crutch or

2. Skilled players that want to Troll

It took me awhile to get used to not having those excapes and mobility with my D/D ele but learning the pros and cons of other classes and how to solo roam with them is very rewarding.

in WvW

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

Dd ele is probably the closest but I think I’d still pick a thief for solo work any day.

in WvW

Posted by: JeroenXP.5364

JeroenXP.5364

Thiefs is for cowards and baddies I rather roam on something that is not all about hiding and wear down the other player. Currently thiefs don’t really bring anything in WvW then just annoying people who insist on killing them rather then just moving on.

Kemy Support ele – Kesia Berserker War – Miruto Wolfhowl Berserker ranger:
Sakurashi Tank Mesmer – Cutie Pewpie Grenadier Engineer – Neesa Misaki Support Guard:
[Underworld]

in WvW

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

Every vet WvW player has never said “kitten that thief killed me, he has pro skills”

I actually have said that. Typically, I can stomp most amateur thieves 1v1 on my engineer, but every now and then I am very impressed by one. I agree that stealth is a crutch, and it is even funnier when a whole team uses it via a mesmer, and you realize that without stealth, their dynamic wouldn’t work at all.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

in WvW

Posted by: Jesus.2619

Jesus.2619

Haven’t met many thieves that showed skill. Sadly you need way more attention to kill a thief than the thief does.

Even more rediculous are the many thieves attacking players, see if they are noob or not, when not noob → run as fast as they can and try the next one. (sigh)

[BNF]/[TDA]
Angrywheelchairman/Safetyfirstman
(currently on Piken)

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

thats why you run at a BL that has no guild events on… making sure you have 100% uptime on “Outnumbered”. Thus your argument about repair costs is null and void.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: Archon.6481

Archon.6481

Everyone needs to stop calling stealth a crutch. It’s not. If you think it is then you clearly dont know what a crutch actually is. A crutch makes bad players better but makes good players worse. Stealth may allow bad players to do better but it does not make good players worse.

Crutches, the things people use who can’t walk properly for whatever reason is a great example. People who can’t walk properly are the “bad players” and crutches to make up for their inabilities. People who can walk properly are the “good players”. Making then walk with crutches actually hinders their ability to walk.

Now, please stop calling stealth a crutch.

Archonicable – Thief
0/6/6/0/6 – D/D + D/P
Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Everyone needs to stop calling stealth a crutch. It’s not. If you think it is then you clearly dont know what a crutch actually is. A crutch makes bad players better but makes good players worse. Stealth may allow bad players to do better but it does not make good players worse.

Crutches, the things people use who can’t walk properly for whatever reason is a great example. People who can’t walk properly are the “bad players” and crutches to make up for their inabilities. People who can walk properly are the “good players”. Making then walk with crutches actually hinders their ability to walk.

Training Wheels is also good word for it.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in WvW

Posted by: Jinks.2057

Jinks.2057

Funny thread since thief is s very weak class 1v1 when both players are skilled.

If you are dying to solo thieves its a lack of skill on your part

in WvW

Archon.6481

Training Wheels is also good word for it.

Care to explain?

Funny thread since thief is s very weak class 1v1 when both players are skilled.

If you are dying to solo thieves its a lack of skill on your part

What are you talking about? Thief is a great 1v1 class. Perma stealth allows you to easily guarantee initial burst in someone, and when you make a mistake or are low on health you can perma stealth until you fully recover.

Archonicable – Thief
0/6/6/0/6 – D/D + D/P
Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: XII.9401

XII.9401

Not everyone enjoys being carried by their class -thieves/mesmers/guardians- and pretend it’s skill.

in WvW

Archon.6481

Not everyone enjoys being carried by their class -thieves/mesmers/guardians- and pretend it’s skill.

Oh please. Bad thieves/mesmers/guards will die in less than 10 seconds. Good ones however, take much longer.

Archonicable – Thief
0/6/6/0/6 – D/D + D/P
Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Oh please. Bad thieves/mesmers/guards will die in less than 10 seconds. Good ones however, take much longer.

Dude… lets be honest… even a bad guardian can last longer than 10 seconds. A guard would pretty much have to jump off a cliff to die before then. A bad thief/mes… I agree would die very fast though.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in WvW

Archon.6481

Dude… lets be honest… even a bad guardian can last longer than 10 seconds. A guard would pretty much have to jump off a cliff to die before then. A bad thief/mes… I agree would die very fast though.

I have killed many bad guards in less than 10 seconds. Your claim = Not true.

Archonicable – Thief
0/6/6/0/6 – D/D + D/P
Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: Alchemist.3692

Alchemist.3692

Real men roam warrior!

LOL you mean the warriors who spam leap skills to run away from a fight when they know they aren’t going to win?

in WvW

Posted by: Alchemist.3692

Alchemist.3692

lol a bad any class other than necro (cuz of extra life bar) would die in 10s

in WvW

Posted by: Lanimal.6541

Lanimal.6541

Everyone knows mesmer has almost as good stealth as thieves now

Theongreyjoy
[VoTF] www.votf.net