Woodenpotatoes on The State of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

WoodSpuds did an assessment of the whole game in a recent video. His review of WvW begins at 7mins, 23seconds…

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

WoodSpuds did an assessment of the whole game in a recent video. His review of WvW begins at 7mins, 23seconds…

I’ll save you some time:
“One of the three core ways to play Guild Wars 2 is kind of dead here in early 2016”

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

LMAO, I can see anet now:

OMG a top youtuber said something bad about WvW!
Do we infract him or ban him?
No it’s Woodenpotatoes we cant do anything!
Oh kitten! What do we do now? how we gonna fix it? We need to make our PvEers happy, and if even they know WvW sucks….
Calm down, it’s OK, he wont play WvW much, besides all he did was run around killing PvE mobs; and forgot that he cant use a glider in WvW and fell to his death!

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

in WvW

Posted by: Mark.1679

Mark.1679

A quote from a youtube comment:

“Anet claim they have been working on an overhaul for over a year, yet when Devon left, he wrote of reddit that he has not worked on anything related to WvW since March!
So how can they have been working on an overhaul for a year when the WvW LEAD dev himself says he’s done jack all!?”

This got me thinking as well the other day

D/F frontline for [PUSH]

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Overall, he has as much info as we do on wvw, nothing but promises and claims “we are working on it”. It’s a smokescreen and like the wood guy said, they are not being transparent. So how can you blame the wvwers for being negative in the forums and not trusting of anet? Every red post is “I can’t share that, I don’t have information on that, wvw is a priority, etc…etc..etc” for quite a long time now.

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

WvW overhaul coming next week….100%….its famous streamer complaining. HYPE TRAIN CHOO CHOO.

in WvW

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

ouch, I love wp’s reviews – I have to say ….though I know he didn’t intend to focus on it…..the one thing that stands out is that anet keeps dropping the ball on their promises – almost anything that was hype “didn’t turn out that way” or “Changed their focus” “this was said 2 years ago” and unfortunately it seems to be branded on Anet now to the point that anything they announce now is considered a lie. I’m not saying thats the case, but as wp puts it, “hindsight is 20/20” and just about every form of hype put out by anet is now considered more smoke and mirrors than a dependable promise. simply put, the trust is gone and marketing will backfire with the wave of comments that point out these failed promises. It’s as if you can depend on anet to not live up to the hype now :x That’s not a good thing to trust

Tough spot to be in when the trust is gone from most of the community. that lack of trust will end gw faster than any bug or bad update because it becomes personal to any player whose preferred mode of playing was ignored.

I usually try to take a very zen casual approach – this is what i have where I am and when it’s not fun, i just don’t play. else i would have left long ago from everything i hoped for that never came to be.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

the one thing that stands out is that anet keeps dropping the ball on their promises

they have always delivered what they said they would, sure there is a lot of bs and time buying. they just fail to please the player base. theres a difference, a really big difference.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

ouch, I love wp’s reviews – I have to say ….though I know he didn’t intend to focus on it…..the one thing that stands out is that anet keeps dropping the ball on their promises – almost anything that was hype “didn’t turn out that way” or “Changed their focus” “this was said 2 years ago” and unfortunately it seems to be branded on Anet now to the point that anything they announce now is considered a lie. I’m not saying thats the case, but as wp puts it, “hindsight is 20/20” and just about every form of hype put out by anet is now considered more smoke and mirrors than a dependable promise. simply put, the trust is gone and marketing will backfire with the wave of comments that point out these failed promises. It’s as if you can depend on anet to not live up to the hype now :x That’s not a good thing to trust

Tough spot to be in when the trust is gone from most of the community. that lack of trust will end gw faster than any bug or bad update because it becomes personal to any player whose preferred mode of playing was ignored.

I have to agree with you on this assessment. I mean, I wish that I could argue against it, since that’s a pretty sad state of affairs, but…. that’s just how it is. Since launch, there have been numerous significant missteps, and instead of trying to correct them, or trying to learn from them to do better next time, or even just owning up and admitting them, they’ve just focused on hyping up their next thing. Which always just repeated the same pattern. After this long, people know what to expect. Sure, there’s new players or the occasional white knight who try to argue, but…. the evidence is overwhelming. Trust is a very fragile thing, that’s very hard to rebuild once broken. At this point, it’s been shattered into pieces, and people know what to expect. They need to stop hyping things and just focusing on fixing thing.

in WvW

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

yes, but it seems to work against them ….no matter what there will be one person with each hype train that will feel let down. So while it’s not completely true, the fact that there will always be a group complaining about something, is what confirms that picture of constantly dropping the ball. Something for the anet marketing guy to consider. You can’t really say that everyone will be happy in a world where some hate pve and some hate pvp. someone will always feel rejected, but now it’s having a massive effect because several communities feel rejected at the same time, and the bitterness from the most rejected has more influence over the mildly rejected..if that makes sense. suddenly your complaining doesn’t bother me as much because now I’m upset too.

i don’t dislike anet, i’m just trying to show what i see may be hurting them. if you have 100 friends and you insist you will spend a 1 on 1 day with each of them the next week….you are shooting yourself in the foot. It’s not possible to spend a full day with 100 people in a week 1 at a time. – the developers will never live up to the marketing hype.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

WvW overhaul coming next week….100%….its famous streamer complaining. HYPE TRAIN CHOO CHOO.

Yep, youtube. Can’t infract him anet for being honest lol

in WvW

Buy Some Apples.6390

A quote from a youtube comment:

“Anet claim they have been working on an overhaul for over a year, yet when Devon left, he wrote of reddit that he has not worked on anything related to WvW since March!
So how can they have been working on an overhaul for a year when the WvW LEAD dev himself says he’s done jack all!?”

This got me thinking as well the other day

LMAO when you quote me via youtube

I’ve posted this on other threads as well since Devon let it slip.

Yep, youtube. Can’t infract him anet for being honest lol

Incoming copyright claims!

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

And within hours of that video going up suddenly there’s ANet “interest” in our top-5 priorities for WvW, for the first time since, well, I can’t actually remember a last time.

Just consider whether this sudden new interest in WvW is genuine, or is actually public-image damage-control.

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

And within hours of that video going up suddenly there’s ANet “interest” in our top-5 priorities for WvW, for the first time since, well, I can’t actually remember a last time.

Just consider whether this sudden new interest in WvW is genuine, or is actually public-image damage-control.

This has been up with Gaile before the Potato Head video…She’s monitoring it and keeping it on track.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Ragnar.4257

This has been up with Gaile before the Potato Head video…She’s monitoring it and keeping it on track.

WP Video Published March 7th.

First Gaile post March 8th.

I should probably explain at this point that 8 is a bigger number than 7.

Disagree if you want, but don’t make up your own facts and/or number systems.

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

in WvW

Loosmaster.8263

Same!!! Did you even bother to read the first paragraph of her post?

Tacktical Killers [TK]
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Ragnar.4257

Same!!! Did you even bother to read the first paragraph of her post?

I have been tracking this thread with a lot of hope,

Ah, you must have thought she said “I have been tracking this for some time”.

It’s a subtle difference I know, but those are actually different words.

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

Well, he got it right…but it’s rather old news at this point. I don’t think Anet is unaware of how people feel right now—rather, they for some reason still don’t think it’s a good idea to have much in the way of interaction or information giving. It’s like a bad high school romance but…maybe they’ll come around…

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

Well, he got it right…but it’s rather old news at this point. I don’t think Anet is unaware of how people feel right now—rather, they for some reason still don’t think it’s a good idea to have much in the way of interaction or information giving. It’s like a bad high school romance but…maybe they’ll come around…

I think the issue with this is every time they tell anyone what their plans are, the people react negatively because they do not like their plans. If they are still trying to do what the players said they hated, why would they tell them more?

Think about the track record here( just recent history)…
*They announced they were going to make changes to WvW for Hot ( The players cheered! YAY 4 LOOT bags! WE want GvG! More action packed PvP!)

• They started to describe changes.. " chokepoints".." blocking acccess to map"..“Treacherous heights and traps” (The players said OMFG NOOO!! EToM i is flea infested furry monkey hole. PLEAASEE NOO!" )
    *They got quiet and did it anyways.
  • DBLs were evacuated during BETA test and players said they " DO NOT WANT".
  • They got quiet and released it anyways.
  • Massive amount of WvW players leaving game, DBL maps are boycotted and evacuated .
    *Breaks silence and says " ..“Rewards and population balance..” ( HoT map participation rewards and EoTM alliance systems) And players then react with: (/uninstall/ downvote/ beg them to please stop killing WvW Please NO!!)
  • They then thank players for down voting them and telling then they don’t like the plans and go quiet again.. so if the previous pattern holds true, It should mean: * got quiet and did it anyways* then players give up and * get quiet and leave anyways*
[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

in WvW

Sviel.7493

I can’t dispute that most did something like that, though I was one of the few that really enjoyed the new BLs and did not find them anything like EotM, which I bitterly hate. If they plan to press on regardless of negative feedback, they may as well just swim through it—going quiet makes it seem like they don’t care even about those of us who honestly look forward to the changes.

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

I can’t dispute that most did something like that, though I was one of the few that really enjoyed the new BLs and did not find them anything like EotM, which I bitterly hate. If they plan to press on regardless of negative feedback, they may as well just swim through it—going quiet makes it seem like they don’t care even about those of us who honestly look forward to the changes.

Not sure how you can like them and hate EoTM.. every thing that was implemented in DBL was tested in EoTM, just with a different skin. Many do not realize this because they dont understand the mechanics. LOL

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Sviel.7493

EotM is all narrow bridges and infinite drops. There is mostly only one path between objectives. Also, the triangular layout is more like EBG than either borderland. In addition, I don’t like what the players have made of it. I’m definitely more defense oriented but there’s little point to that there. Actually, there’s no point to anything in EotM except karma training…WvW has at least the pretense of a purpose.

The desert BLs do have cliffs and chokes and what not, but they also have varied pathing and the drops are mostly non-lethal.

I’m not sure what mechanics you’re talking about, but if it’s EotM then I probably don’t understand the minutia of them. I’ve been there about three times for guild practice.

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

One has to wonder if the recent Leadership shake up at A-Net may have put the WvW progress on hold…

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

The problem is that wvw crowd and forums usually don’t go together. Also that we’ve got NA and EU servers which have got different rules.
So, most wvw players aren’t on this forum and unfortunately didn’t take it seriously enough before the changes came, so no one really heard of them.
But I guess most long threads of some long time commanders I’ve read hold what I want in wvw. And if you read through all posts on this forum you’ll be able to find what people want – there’s a lot of stuff that’s being repeated but not argued about – and that is what people want.
So in the end it’s:

Balance
Less pirate ship
Unique rewards
A less complicated BL
Less gimmicks
BLs being strategical again like the old ones used to be

ETA: And also there’s the coverage/population problem – but you can’t really find a solution to that especially not since NA and EU are completely different when it comes to that. I really hope they don’t implement a guild alliances or megaserver system, I want to keep my server with all its roamers who would all be gone if anything of this were brought into the game.

ETA²: Tell me if my perception of what’s repeated and wanted is biased – it might be as this is (minus the rewards) what I want. (But the rewards might get new players into wvw which would be a good thing – so I support this).

(edited by Jana.6831)

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Dont need a youtuber to tell you WvW is dead.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Buy Some Apples.6390

I think the issue with this is every time they tell anyone what their plans are, the people react negatively because they do not like their plans.

And there is very good reason for it, because anet’s vision of WvW sucks!

And another problem is that WvW is given the most minimum amount of attention and resources possible, so anet can concentrate on PvE and esports.
Because of this, anything they do do cannot be changed as they refuse to spend the extra resources changing things.

So they add something, they ask a few people to test it out, most people say it’s bad, but by then it’s too late cos they made it already and so release it.

If anet bothered to put the resources in, they would listen to the feedback and make the required changes. But because they are not, they release as is and it’s tough luck for us WvW players, that’s all anet are giving us this xmas!

Dont need a youtuber to tell you WvW is dead.

Anet do!

How do you think they finally got around to changing the position of the Compact Inventory option in the inventory menu?
A streamer said in a random stream, they hate it when they accidentally click that instead of deposit.
Anet then jumped at fixing this!

So yeah, lots of people are saying WvW is dead, but when it’s one of their most precious youtubers that they love, you know this info will now hit them hard.

Real question is will they do something, cos woodenpotatoes is clearly a PvE player, even in the video whilst talking about WvW, he was running around the map killing PvE mobs!

(edited by Buy Some Apples.6390)

in WvW

Loosmaster.8263

I think he was killing mobs because that was all there was!!!

Tacktical Killers [TK]
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I think he was killing mobs because that was all there was!!!

Positive. :p Are you crying or laughing now?

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

nothing’s new
anet’s track records have made itself clear

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com