World Vs World 3.0 An Overhaul Is Needed

in WvW

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

As someone that has been a massive fan of WvW since GW2 launched I have to say with the decline of the player population, its become clear certain systems in GW2 no longer work with the intended purpose they were meant for and should be changed to reflect this in the future.

Lets look at the current system:

Main Eternal Battleground
This is fine in many ways, the big battlefield in the middle where hundreds of players fight over keeps and castles, that works, its not really a case of fixing what isnt broken here, its a case of enhancing it.

Three Borderlands
Over time, the Borderlands have had many a change, from loosing the orbs that were meant to give us powerful buffs over other borderlands to having a new borderland type added, this feels like its been a very hit miss experience, alot of it being more miss than hit.

Edge of the Mists
Meant to be a substitute for pvp to some extent but has become more of a problem to it, creating too much enphasis on EOTM and not enough on Borderlands and The Eternal Battleground itself.

Obsidian Sanctum
Yeah-… no one really cares about this unless your a massive puzzle pvp fan.

With that in mind, lets talk about what can be done to overhaul the experience to make PvP better.

Number One: Removing Edge of the Mists and moving it into the Borderlands Category

Right now, EOTM serves one role, as a distraction, and a slower, but easier alternative to farming wvw chests, its not very productive and it isnt doing the community any favors that it just splits pvp groups even more.

For this reason, I propose it be moved to the MAIN borderlands category and become a MAIN borderland like the rest have so far.

Number Two: We dont need Three Borderlands

Ironically as stated above, theres already enough clutter and aside from over-filled servers which have fluxed server activity between mostl raiding and fractals, those that do pvp are fewer in number by the day. As such, I propose that instead of having three borderlands, we reduce the number to just “one” with an overflow server if theres too many people in it.

This would vastly increase the number of pvpers activly pvping at any time. In addition, each week the borderlands would cycle at random between Alphine, Desert and Edge of the Mists.

This would create stronger and more tight knit pvp events and encounters, more groups for fights and better interaction between them, more frequent activity.

Thirdly: Change Obsidian Sanctum into an actual WvW Map

If Obsidian Sanctum still needs to exist, it needs a better role than just a glorified puzzle dungeon with pvp on the side. My proposal, is to have certain parts of it be changed into contestable encampments, allowing players multiple ways to the top. Various smaller camps could be littered at the bottom with supplies allowing you to siege the Sanctum itself, now having gates required to destroy so that a team can conquer it.

The team that successfully holds it will gain a huge benefit to their team for one whole hour giving huge stat boosts in Eternal Battlegrounds and The Borderland.

This is my proposal so far, for a revamped WvW, thoughts?

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

You should have to complete the OS jp to gain access to edge of the mists.
yw

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

1. You want to remove the overflow that is eotm. Then convert it to a borderlands type map which it was not designed for, and would take some work as it’s an Ebg type map.

2. You want to reduce the amount of borderlands maps to 1 and yet have an overflow server (I assume you meant map), which you just requested to remove and did not specify a replacement. If you think the current borderland map would be a suitable overflow map, they are maps that were designed to favor the home teams, they are not designed to be equal setting map like ebg or eotm. So I guess ebg would be an overflow map since eotm would be converted.

3. Obsidian Sanctum has an arena in it if you didn’t know, it’s the best sized arena in the game for guilds to gvg in. Sure there are not as much gvg guilds around these days, but there are gvg’s that happen still. If you’re going to revamp the map into something entirely different might as well just make a new map. Only change really needed in OS since megaservers, is it’s access to megaservers like eotm, it serves no other purpose to wvw other than an arena. Why try to turn this into a legitimate wvw map when you just suggested to remove 3 maps? eotm 2bl’s.

I do somewhat agree the amount of maps in matches probably needs to be reduced, but not down to 1 bl and 1 ebg. We have 2 types of maps and with 2 actual maps in each type. Not as many like desert or eotm as much as they do alpine or ebg, but I think at this point removing any maps and forcing players into certain maps will just kitten off people.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

(edited by Xenesis.6389)

in WvW

Posted by: zhonnika.1784

zhonnika.1784

Your idea of repeal/replace makes as much sense as…. well, do I really need to say it?

Kashmara – Elementalist | Reapermara – Necromancer
Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

No idea why they just won’t delete WvW because EotM is just so much better game mode. 4 hours matches are too long. 2 hours would be more that enough.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

No idea why they just won’t delete WvW because EotM is just so much better game mode. 4 hours matches are too long. 2 hours would be more that enough.

If you enjoy Ktrain and running over skrublets, then yes.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Number One: Removing Edge of the Mists and moving it into the Borderlands Category

Right now, EOTM serves one role, as a distraction, and a slower, but easier alternative to farming wvw chests, its not very productive and it isnt doing the community any favors that it just splits pvp groups even more.

For this reason, I propose it be moved to the MAIN borderlands category and become a MAIN borderland like the rest have so far.

EotM map is not suited to WvW play. It was meant as an overflow/experimental map and proved to be a disaster in those respects. Instead, it became a farm map and it’s own gamemode.

Sadly, I fear that it would take such considerable changes to make the map viable that it would be simpler to generate an entirely new map.

Ironically as stated above, theres already enough clutter and aside from over-filled servers which have fluxed server activity between mostl raiding and fractals, those that do pvp are fewer in number by the day. As such, I propose that instead of having three borderlands, we reduce the number to just “one” with an overflow server if theres too many people in it.

At prime/reset time on Fridays, all maps in T1 have queues.

Some kind of dynamic system could be implemented, with objectives that change (somehow) according to populations, but I think it’s so much work that the gamemode would be more or less rebuilt from the ground up. :/

If Obsidian Sanctum still needs to exist, it needs a better role than just a glorified puzzle dungeon with pvp on the side. My proposal, is to have certain parts of it be changed into contestable encampments, allowing players multiple ways to the top. Various smaller camps could be littered at the bottom with supplies allowing you to siege the Sanctum itself, now having gates required to destroy so that a team can conquer it.

The team that successfully holds it will gain a huge benefit to their team for one whole hour giving huge stat boosts in Eternal Battlegrounds and The Borderland.

I like the idea of new ways to get to the top and I like the concept of small camps in the OS. There are already some traps in the OS (as you already know, ofc)- these could be enhanced somehow to make it a king-of-the-hill style map.

I’m not so keen on this stat boost idea. As you may imagine, there can be a problem with stat boosts from other maps which can’t be accessed because of queues.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: ImLegion.4018

ImLegion.4018

WvW dead already… Anet doesnt care.

Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Killing off EOTM will not move people to the boarderlands. Quit thinking it will.

SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

WvW dead already… Anet doesnt care.

Its less dead than pvp. Even with the current pvp season.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

1. Maybe. But it isn’t a suitable substitute for a standing Borderlands. It doesn’t have the same point total and it doesn’t have the same balance.

2. No.

3. Massive advantage? No.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

When is the World Vs World 2.0 coming? :P

The EotM players are not WvW players. They are 2 completely different breeds. EotM is quite popular among those who like easy mindless farming. Let’s not take that away from them.

The lack of migration policy has led to both stacked and empty worlds over the years.

When ANet does the population rebalancing, they should consider reducing playable area as well.

2-map matchups seems too extreme, though. There is often a queue on 2 maps even at the EU low tiers during the reset nights.

Maybe some dynamic area system would be work: 3 maps available during the weekend and prime time; lock 1 map during quiet hours.

OS has its purpose as GvG and dueling arena. It is good those are distinct from actual WvW.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

When is the World Vs World 2.0 coming? :P

The real question is, what happened to World Vs World 1.49b update 14?

in WvW

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

I think Obsidian Sanctum should be changed into a 1v1 random arena. Sure, the game isn’t balanced for 1v1s, but people like 1v1ing, so making a system for it would be good. It also gets duelers away from ebg.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in WvW

Posted by: DeeSystm.1256

DeeSystm.1256

Wvw never even left beta.

“I came to play.” me
r4420k+ blazetrain

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

At this point, they need to merge everything in 3 alliances and have all maps accessible from the same world map (including EotM).

They also need open world dueling but more than anything they need GvG to bring back the franchise to its roots.

They also have to realize that the meta is kitten to play and go back to the more flexible original trait system (where you could have more than 3 lines), something which wont happen anyway.

And they also need to make winning in WvW a thing and find a way to keep matchup close.

Skirmishes are not interesting as well, they need to focus fights around certain points on the map. This was done with the Orb previously (in the best days of WvW).