WvW, Burst, & a Perspective Change on Builds.

in WvW

Posted by: Lalnuir.4957

Lalnuir.4957

Lalnuir, there are underground fight clubs (dueling groups) popping up all over. People build out specifically to 1v1 for these. So far, I’ve dueled vs Ehmry Bay, Dragonband, Maguuma, and Yaks Bend.

If you fight in a good 1v1, invite them to your party (target + /invite) and let em know how good they are. It’s amazing the cool people you will meet.
My little ring in this match up has grown to over 10 people across the servers who do nothing but duel each other all day. Quite entertaining and you get so see some really unusual builds.

Fascinating, maybe if i get around to gearing up my guardian I’ll take a look around and see if I can find any in tier 2.

Red Falcon is a terribly player? Why don’t you ask on him at warrior post. Afterall he make a bunch of sample build and considering most people him decent sPvp player. I have seen his playstyle in WvWvW, he lose to opponent who I won because I am running a similar build.

And because of that he was angry at some point that he need post to point if you meet that ‘’Warrior that has failed 100b frenzy’’ don’t help him. That warrior was me. But hey I never needed for help as I have mobile to boot to strike out of the zerg ways. Latter that warrior is being used as selfish users as numerous post count aren’t they? They all promoted me over all place.

I’m done with you, I’ve had enough incoherent trolling for one day.
I still stand by my point that glass cannon warriors are terrible and my offer to come 1v1 me in spvp still stands.

(edited by Lalnuir.4957)

in WvW

Posted by: Choko.6821

Choko.6821

You opinion is still regard a opinion. Well, it shows today that you can’t handle argument and need to overhaul with ego.

in WvW

Lalnuir.4957

You opinion is still regard a opinion. Well, it shows today that you can’t handle argument and need to overhaul with ego.

Would help if you could actually form a proper argument. Get back to me when you have more than;

~I kill bad players/specs in wvw therefore I must be awesome
~ spvp is unbalanced and I don’t want to fight you there because I can’t use my pie

in WvW

Posted by: Sporadicus.1028

Sporadicus.1028

Lalnuir said:

“Single target burst is not effective in WvW, if you want to get the most out of the call target icon then target someone in a clump and aoe nuke that spot with multiple people.

Clumps of enemies don’t always have to be naturally forming. There are a couple of aoe pull skills in this game and combined with well placed fears/knock backs you can clump people up fairly easy.”

While I agree that method is effective, you need to give them a reason to clump together. I would focus on single target, whittle him down, then either use AOE around him to whittle down the folks trying to rez him.

Malkin Rawl – Charr Engineer, Tarnished Coast
Loudmouth, lousy PvPer, and mediocre PvEer.
I don’t own, I just play

in WvW

Posted by: Choko.6821

Choko.6821

P/D thief of the month is a bad spec indeed before it is introduced on forum and on interview. Good job to review Guild Wars 2 from you standpoint. Until then you argument are useless and forge typical same as other scrubs. You don’t follow meta clearly. And if you considering why not dealing Blacktide best guild. I am sure you will be crying unlike me though who boosted against them and make sure they don’t get uphill advantage.

(edited by Choko.6821)

in WvW

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

Yeah, I run a S/D tank build so I don’t really “burst” anything but I do probe various targets in a group conflict until I find one particularly squishy then down him. From there I attempt C&D + stomp, or C&D + Tactical Strike anyone trying to revive them and then focus on downing the player attempting the revive, while staying close enough to the originally downed player for my sword’s aoe to finish them off as well. I can also outright face tank any burst build I’ve encountered so far long enough to stomp should the need arise.

~Shadowkat

in WvW

Lalnuir.4957

While I agree that method is effective, you need to give them a reason to clump together. I would focus on single target, whittle him down, then either use AOE around him to whittle down the folks trying to rez him.

You can down people from range nearly as fast with aoes as you can with single target damage. You also get the benefit of hitting anyone nearby. How often do you see large groups where you can’t hit 2-3 people with an aoe yet the group can still fight effectively?
How often do you see group stability where you can’t use binding blade or mesmers into the void to clump people up?

in WvW

Posted by: RedOwl.7496

RedOwl.7496

Yay in theory but it NEVER works. There is a reason for the old saying the best defense is a good offense and your entire post also outlines the whole problem. Stepping aside from the whole “thief” drama, in any PVP game where there is a class with “avoidance” mechanics this becomes a massive force multiplier on their whole dmg/vs tank paradigm.

Super run speed is another example that breaks PVP in the same way stealth does. If I can run much faster than anyone in the game then I decide when and where PVP occurs. I can joust the other guy and it gives me a massive force multiplier advantage. If I am the only class with snare in the game it creates the same problem because now I can kite everyone and again I control the PVP.

Let’s take another example, suppose for arguments sake one of the GW2 classes had immense endurance regen as part of their “flavour” to the point where they could dodge roll almost continuously. This would break the game in similar ways to stealth. I could go glass cannon without caring about the consequences. If you don’t believe how effective this would be go and take the Thief trait Feline Grace and watch your survival rate quadruple.

So these types of classes are freed from the consequences of the dmg vs tank decision making process and can effectively glass cannon without the downsides, or at least with severely reduced downsides. This was the case in Aion with the Ranger and Assassin, with extreme stealth abilities all they had to worry about was offense, defense didn’t matter. You are free from having to make the burst vs bunker decision whereas everyone else is forced to make it and then their decision is also made for them, they must choose bunker because burst affords them no utility against a target they can’t engage.

So then a force multiplier for your character also becomes a skill multiplier. Two equally skilled players, the one with the force multiplier will win 8 of 10 matches. A lower skilled player can use an advantageous class to clownshoe his way over other players and think he’s doing great.

That’s a great post Mian. It seems offense is always better than defense in most of these games. Frustrating cause I like to be able to spec for defense when it works. Like using a shield on a warrior type class.

Sadly, it is the same in WvW. Offense is so much easier than defense and you get more rewards for it than you do trying to defend. I wish they would change it…but know they won’t.

in WvW

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

The biggest issue is toughness, and the fact it doesn’t really matter in WvW.

My Warrior still hits 3500 armor for 7700 crits with Kill Shot, and my Thief hits 3500 Armor for 5k back stabs, 3kish CnD, and Steal. And I’m running Knights armor. When I was running Beserkers armor, I was seeing 14k crits with Kill Shot, against 3500 armor bunker builds.

That’s a lot of damage when you consider how few hit points bunker builds generally have. What compounds the issue is that Precision, most importantly critical chance with the right Sigil & Food gives you a better survivability, than Toughness does, and many Toughness builds are forced to give up damage, so they can’t even kill a Glass Canon build.

Add in another issue are the massive amount of bugs that cause traits, and boons to not work all the time. For example the Ranger Barkskin doesn’t seem to work at all, or is negated by Protection, when they dodge, seeming to create a situation where Protection, and Barkskin cancel each other out.

Far too many bugs in this game.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

(edited by jkctmc.8754)

in WvW

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

3100 armor build on my thief and I still see auto attack crits for over 3k. As well as being able to outright tank virtually any burst setup for a surprising amount of time (get comments from players I fight against pretty frequently about that)

~Shadowkat

in WvW

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

3100 armor build on my thief and I still see auto attack crits for over 3k. As well as being able to outright tank virtually any burst setup for a surprising amount of time (get comments from players I fight against pretty frequently about that)

Sadly my Thiefs bunker build far surpasses any Guardian, or Warrior bunker build I’ve tried on my other 80s. I’m pretty sure it has a lot to do with me getting 120ish health on every hit I deliver, including AE hits.

Couple that with Omnom Pie, and Sigil of Blood, and my Thief’s fast, multiple hits make for some crazy high durability over the other classes. Hell, I’ve ben in the middle of a 40 man zerg, after stealing whirling axes from a Warrior, and was able to trigger Dagger Storm, followed by the Whirling axes I stole, and stayed full health the entire time, only to teleport away, pop stealth and walk away to safety.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Mian.1945

Mian.1945

You can see this whole problem so easily as a WvW guardian. Generally you tend to be the one in the front line along with hammer warriors etc charging into the enemy. After a quick 10v10 fight you can go back and have a look at your combat log.

Spatial surge – 150 dmg, necrotic grasp – 150 dmg, fireball – 400 dmg, etc etc etc. Then there’s the thief. Wild Strikes, Lotus Strikes all in the 2k range, Heartseekers at 3-5k, Backstabs at 4-6k, CnD at 3-5k. This is on 3k+ armour and 23k+ HP.

The damage is just off the charts compared to other players because everyone else is making the aggressive/conservative tradeoff and thieves don’t have to. Some more experienced thief players might chose to (making themselves even harder to kill) but they don’t have to.