World Linking Feedback [merged]

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Thanks so much for responding, Tyler!

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: Avengedeath.4671

Avengedeath.4671

yes, thank you for responding Tyler. I will definitely vote when the linking survey comes around.

in WvW

Posted by: smashie.3074

smashie.3074

In the coming weeks we plan to hold more polls. Just like we are currently polling about the Reward Tracks and Participation beta, we’ll poll about the World Linking beta as well.

Thank you very much for posting on here Tyler!

I am very much looking forward to the polls and since I know about it, I’m sure my gf and I will actively promote this opportunity to others in FC to vote on it!

With that said, I’d like to point out one thing about the polls to the WvW community:-

Population skew-ness

It stands to think that Tier’s 1 to 3, would likely not be deterred by the Server Merge. As their tiers are quite accepting and more used to larger population, increases in queues etc. they are likely to vote, “I don’t have a problem with Server Merge.”
Furthermore, they have a BIG population.
It’s quite possible that tiers 1-3 could outnumber tiers 6-8 quite easily…and might outnumber tiers 4-5 as well.

Not to forget, there could be a significant minority in the lower tiers who fit the above culture of WvW, therefore voting that the server merge is also okay!

It’s entirely possible that the poll COULD then show a majority in favour of the server merge. However, I argue that polls can also show a significant minority, and that the significant minority can also still be heard.

Example:- If the majority turns out to 51% liking the server merge, I believe ANet would still attempt to cater to the other 49% who dislike the server merge.

Why? Because even though many in the forums will argue, “Well, we got the majority so you should be quiet etc.”, I believe ANet tries to cater as many people as possible to enjoy the game. Anyway, if the above example does happen, I’m sure ANet won’t like many of the 49% to leave the game!
Bear in mind, knowing what some of you are like, the above is only an example and I’m not speaking for 49% of the community!

With that said, if we can’t get a majority, I would still call it a success if we can achieve quite a large, significant minority!!!

SO! I now encourage people who dislike the server merge to actively promote the upcoming WvW Server Merge poll and vote NO!
I certainly will be doing this in FC.

Thank you all for posting and thanks again Tyler for responding to it It means a lot!

Edit: Just noticed there was a new poll. Clarified which poll I was referring to

(edited by smashie.3074)

in WvW

Posted by: Sardath.8524

Sardath.8524

I have seen these threads pop up several times now and they always bother me. I do not want to insult anyone if they try to explain their feelings but it basically boils down to this:

Most of these low population dead servers were not dead some time ago. People left, stopped playing or lost interest in WvW, and while some also like to jump between servers, many do not. I never have, and have no plans to transfer. And I know many players in my low population server who feel exactly same.

The problem is, the last tiers are not fun. It is not fun to be in the dead server and it is not fun to fight one either. WvW is about having enemies and when there is none, it stops being WvW. I understand that some people may like the emptiness and lack of enemies, and yet, I strongly feel that most players prefer actual fights, actual enemies instead of NPCs.

And while you are explaining here how much you enjoy being in dead server, try, even for a moment, to think about all those players who have quit the game because only reason to play – WvW is so stupidly boring they can’t be bothered anymore. I know many players trying this changed WvW right now after being away from the game, and many more just planning to return. Countless players have left the game because there is nothing to do in WvW, because scores do not matter, because winning or losing the match is same result.

Now, after years of waiting, we have a chance to fix these problems. And you guys, instead of being happy too about the gamemode we all love so much, start to complain against any improvements. It just blows my mind. It really does. Just because you want something, everyone else has to suffer too. It’s just extremely selfish.

And on top of that all, you do not even propose any other solutions. You just complain that all the change is bad and try to lie about how everyone loved their dead servers. No, everyone hated it! Everyone suffered for a long time and many left in the end. Again, there are obviously small number of players used to empty server matches, but it does not make you more special then many more players who actually want to fight and want to have meaningful matches and want to see enemies more then once a week. What exactly do you wish Anet would do? Nothing? Just keep the system going on for many more years until there is only you and 2 more players left in whole WvW?

Nothing more needs to be said on this thread.

in WvW

Avengedeath.4671

I would really hope the poll on linking would include an option to say which server you are from. is anet able to track which server the voters are from? If the majority of say ET says they like the linking then get rid of the ET server. If the majority of FC doesn’t want the linking then let FC stand alone. This might create issues if 23 of the 24 servers want to stay linked but I doubt that would be the case. It will be interesting to see when the linking poll comes out.

in WvW

Posted by: sionnach.5391

sionnach.5391

I’m hoping I read that right and there will be polls in the plural on this issue, since we’ll need some nuance. Thank you for posting, Tyler!

Voting on the current set up via Y/N poll – linking vs. non-linking – won’t address those who support the idea of linking, but have major issues with how the current NA beta is set up. So I’m hopeful there will be extended polls where we can vote on new ideas for workable solutions that the majority can agree on.

For example, as it stands if we had a Y/N poll on linking today, I would have to vote NO, although I think linking is a good idea in theory (just not the way it’s set up on NA). So that’s a dilemma.

I look forward to more on this topic, and thanks for listening Anet!

Guild Leader – Owl Legion of Kaineng

in WvW

Avengedeath.4671

I just had an ah-ha moment. I may be repeating some things that have already been stated so I apologize in advance.

In wvw we have ppt and fights. some players may like the fights more, others like getting the ppt more. I personally like the ppt because I want to win, lol! Others I know really enjoy the large fights/battles.

What if there was a choice in wvw to play for ppt or to play for fights? Maybe it is like someone stated earlier in this thread, we need to rethink the ppt scoring/winning system.

I was talking with another player today and he said many of their ppt guilds had left the server so now the guilds that were left were focusing mainly on the fights and not worrying so much about the ppt.

I would still like to have our FC server back but if linking is put in place permanently then something more needs to change.

This linking has churned up a lot of feelings, positive and negative. I can feel the stress and strain from the other players. Maybe I am projecting but I don’t think so, not entirely.

I would be interested to know what players enjoy the most. Capturing and holding objectives in wvw or fighting the zergs. I know I enjoy both but play mostly for ppt because I want to win.

Maybe this is the wrong thread for this topic. I am just trying to find a solution so everyone can be happy again. Me included, lol!

Keep posting everyone and be sure to vote in the upcoming poll on linking.

(edited by Avengedeath.4671)

in WvW

Teon.5168

I just had an ah-ha moment. I may be repeating some things that have already been stated so I apologize in advance.

In wvw we have ppt and fights. some players may like the fights more, others like getting the ppt more. I personally like the ppt because I want to win, lol! Others I know really enjoy the large fights/battles.

What if there was a choice in wvw to play for ppt or to play for fights? Maybe it is like someone stated earlier in this thread, we need to rethink the ppt scoring/winning system.

I was talking with another player today and he said many of their ppt guilds had left the server so now the guilds that were left were focusing mainly on the fights and not worrying so much about the ppt.

I would still like to have our FC server back but if linking is put in place permanently then something more needs to change.

This linking has churned up a lot of feelings, positive and negative. I can feel the stress and strain from the other players. Maybe I am projecting but I don’t think so, not entirely.

I would be interested to know what players enjoy the most. Capturing and holding objectives in wvw or fighting the zergs. I know I enjoy both but play mostly for ppt because I want to win.

Maybe this is the wrong thread for this topic. I am just trying to find a solution so everyone can be happy again. Me included, lol!

Keep posting everyone and be sure to vote in the upcoming poll on linking.

I enjoy both, although the ppt system at least needs some tweaking. While I really enjoy big fights, and smaller open field fights, too…..there is nothing like a good castle/tower takeover or defense. I love those! But something needs to be done to the ppt system to give players more reason to defend. I personally really liked DaoC’s system, with the relics and such, and points going toward more than just the wvw world. There was nothing like hearing the “call to arms” shout in DaoC, which meant every able body was needed in wvw/rvr to help defend the relic and such.

The pairing up of servers is a step in the right direction, imo, as it puts more players in wvw, and gives more action out there to those that wanted it. But the pairings, and how they’re determined, do need to be tweaked some.

Overall, I like the direction that wvw is headed, and I am hoping that Anet makes more good decisions during this beta to further improve this game mode.

I also wanted to make a remark about TC. I know lots of people who seem to have a hatred for that server, and this new patch is my first experience with them. Maybe we were just in a really good zerg last night…..wish I could remember the person who was driving the zerg…….but they were the nicest bunch of people…constantly shouting out thanks for scouting reports, sieges, etc., in chat…..just a very appreciative group……was good to see. I have had no problems with Kaineng’s pairing with TC, so far.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Don’t think people hate TC, the alliance that went to TC however…..

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: AGamer.3168

AGamer.3168

Want to know why?

Here’s the short version in bullet points.

• Being thrown into a new server without your say.
  • Wanting a small WvW community, but now having a Que size ranging to 40 on every map.
  • Being berated by other server members daily as if I chose to move.
  • Server pride = GONE

Here’s in more detail.
If I wanted to move to a larger tier server, I will fork over the money and gems to do so. I chose my server for the reasons that it was small in population, it had a good community, and it was a smaller tier. Smaller community meant friendlier players and no pressure to move up or maintain its tier. But when we moved up by our own means, it built server pride and an investment into the community. Smaller also meant no que time for maps, every map was free and meant every extra person was essential. Being on server that whole guilds dedicated to being toxic to others doesn’t help in the transition and when going into WvW means more infighting and actual fighting, WvW is no longer enjoyable.

-AGamer The One Man Army

(edited by AGamer.3168)

in WvW

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

There is nothing wrong with what is being done, at all.

If you don’t like it then what do you suggest other than moving because all that will happen is people will stack in T1 and that is a no go.

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

Another one crying it can’t PvD command anymore! You and that other one brought a bad reputation to the server that now paired with one of the opposite mentality you get mad.

Park your account and refuse to play like the other one.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

AGamer.3168, the only thing that went badly was the choosed servers to merge with others, didnt change nothing some server keep getting blobbed/karma train.

@Loosmaster.8263 most wvwrs are like that, 4 rams lots aoe eles and i dont see a water on rams and run away since all play zerker/squishy to easy aoe damage on commander order, they dont even get to easilly counter my siege with siege, just move to a empty tower with o zero and zero defender (in this situation my server was outmaned and i was alone with a ac…last week i made a blob run away by shooting a normal ac doing arroud 100-300(max 450) damage…).

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I understand why someone that is used to and prefers mostly skirmish fighting wouldn’t want to be in Blob Wars 2016. The higher tiers, well now most tiers, have a lot more giant blob dodging required.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

You can still Havoc/small group. Nothing to stop one from doing it.

People need to relax and remember this is beta testing – we are trying new things here.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

You can still Havoc/small group. Nothing to stop one from doing it.

You can but the blobs that are running in NA Prime are numerous and thick. I don’t mind as our squad runs high mobility builds but even with that we are having to move maps constantly to avoid the blobbing. I can certainly understand why another player wants to play in a less populated match.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: drcraig.9403

drcraig.9403

As Dusty Moon.4382 stated , this is beta. It seems as though Anet is listening more to player feedback than they have in the past. Voice your opinions and give constructive criticism. I’ve been in T1 since launch and haven’t always been big into WvW, but know that blob vs blob might be not for everyone. Personally I liked the Desert maps because they were great for roaming. Places to ambush from, hide, escape etc…. Generally smaller scale fights.

It’s unfortunate that you have been matched into a ’toxic" community. I would turn off my chat and play the way I want. Or at least try.

in WvW

Posted by: Odin.8270

Odin.8270

I was at high WvW servers, quitted as hardcore player and went to underworld server were i can enjoy peaceful gaming without any pressure, the situation now brings back old memories, but still, i’am totally against this merging.

Reasons are:
- getting stomped once i walk out anywhere at WvW.
- unnecessary attitude and childish behavior.
- lags sometimes due to server issues.

So my answer will be always No, in my eyes, the merging failed, and i really wish Underworld server will be back the way it was.

(edited by Odin.8270)

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

I run around skirmishing and roaming almost non stop. There are little 3v3s 4v4s etc like everywhere now. Just need to be mindful of the blobs moving about. If there are 3 blobs grouped up there will be a soul tearing vortex of skill lag in the area lol

I can understand though. Can be tough to move around solo on many classes now. Havoc groups trying to take towers pretty much have to make sure blobs are occupied or else they get an instant 50+ dropped on them. Can also feel our server identity slowly slipping away.

We’re also almost always outnumbered still lol. How does that even happen?

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Reh.5986 i feel your pain..

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Odin.8270

Another thing i wanted to say, One of the things that irritates me, Yesterday i brought durios tower wall down and i tried to call them out, they simply ignores and none of them payed attention, as if i was talking to myself, so i shall add another point to it.

- Most of high populated server players doesnt cooperation enough.

in WvW

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I was at high WvW servers, quitted as hardcore player and went to underworld server were i can enjoy peaceful gaming without any pressure, the situation now brings back old memories, but still, i’am totally against this merging.

Reasons are:
- getting stomped once i walk out anywhere at WvW.
- unnecessary attitude and childish behavior.
- lags sometimes due to server issues.

So my answer will be always No, in my eyes, the merging failed, and i really wish Underworld server will be back the way it was.

The merger was a reason for me to play more WvW more seriously.

Then again UW to the way it was is pretty much the position it is in now. At least for me. There’s alot of older UW guilds on Far Shiverpeaks. And apart from the occasional nutjob there’s actually a fairly nice community going on.

I am perhaps biased that I see people I know, and maybe lucky when I’m on there’s not any drama? (I don’t know) But it feels to me UW and Far Shiverpeaks seem a good match.

PS. Also. Right before the merge it seemed to me some UW commander and some random complaining person were being as rude and childish to eachother for a good hour. So if what you experience there is happening I would say that that is pretty much inherent to all of WvW. Not many cooperate in any server and there’s childish players in every server. It’s definitely not because of the merge. Though you might see it more often because there’s more people. More people means more people that ignore you and more that annoy you.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

in WvW

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

First problem I see is that you think server pride is a real thing. Anet reserves the right to shut down any server they want at any time – you better get used to having more of a guild pride or something like that because the server system as we knew has changed and will continue to change. I’ve transferred servers more times that I can even remember at this point, its been at least 16 times between my 2 accounts, I have no “server pride” because it is hard to be “proud” of a server who lost all of its people and dropped to being one of the lowest ranked servers lol.

Like someone else above said, it sounds like you just enjoyed the PvDoor and now you can’t do that – sorry for your loss.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

in WvW

Teon.5168

As Dusty has stated, this is beta. Server pairings will change in another couple months, the point system will be getting majorly tweaked shortly, and dbls will start to rotate with abls. Send in your constructive feedback to Anet during this time, as they seem to be listening.

I haven’t had the problems with our server pairing (Kaineng with TC) as others in this thread have. Yea, there are blobs, but you can still roam….just got to be more careful. I also haven’t seen this ‘attitude’ of the larger servers that some have talked about. I am sure it exists with some brat kiddies out there, but I haven’t seen it yet in our pairing. People, for the most part, have been very nice and civil.

/shrug

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Teon.5168

First problem I see is that you think server pride is a real thing. Anet reserves the right to shut down any server they want at any time – you better get used to having more of a guild pride or something like that because the server system as we knew has changed and will continue to change. I’ve transferred servers more times that I can even remember at this point, its been at least 16 times between my 2 accounts, I have no “server pride” because it is hard to be “proud” of a server who lost all of its people and dropped to being one of the lowest ranked servers lol.

Like someone else above said, it sounds like you just enjoyed the PvDoor and now you can’t do that – sorry for your loss.

Agreed. While I understand people who want to hang on to ‘server pride’, at this point I feel that it is a lost cause, especially for the lower tiered servers. Doesn’t mean I won’t still try to help my server, but my pride and loyalty is with the guild I have been with for 2+ years.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Posted by: CowOfGlory.5816

CowOfGlory.5816

If you didn’t want to play on Maguuma, you could always transfer off. No-one is forcing you to stay.

in WvW

Loosmaster.8263

If you didn’t want to play on Maguuma, you could always transfer off. No-one is forcing you to stay.

Only problem with that is the current Linking system. If he goes up it won’t be an issue and he doesn’t want that. If he goes down, there is the possibility of getting paired with Maguuma again in the future.

I’ve just learned to deal with you guys and adjusted my play style. It’s not that hard to do. I just love the diversity of the Fights Maguuma provides!!!

Edit: He’s on DR if you didn’t know Cow.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

As the old saying goes “every dog will have its day.” I think my favorite servers I’ve been on have been Maguuma and Blackgate. I enjoyed my time on Fort Aspenwood back in the day of Mag/FA/SOS T2, but it isn’t as fun these days. I also enjoyed my time on Borlis Pass (my first server) and met most of my friends that I know in the game now from that server – but I don’t think I’ve ever been too proud of it, the average player skill on BP has been a pretty low low for a long time with the exception of a hand full of players.

Each server has a different kind of community, I get that. I enjoy the Maguuma community because they’re trolly like me. I get the same kind of impression from a lot of people on Blackgate even though I haven’t been there for too terribly long yet. Some would call those two servers toxic – I would call them home lol. But I’ve transferred to and off of Maguuma 4 times now, I can’t imagine I won’t ever end up back there – but I like matches to be different.

With this server linking, the matches have been different, we’ve had the chance to meet new people and even a chance to play with old friends that were once on the same server. You really miss out on the game if you don’t transfer around and meet new people and fight new enemies. It really spices things up a lot.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

lol Josh… I don’t think the average player skill is any better on any one server. There are exceptional players and groups that you can find almost anywhere. But even on these “big” servers most of the people seem to just blob around and many of them run like rats when they encounter a tight guild group that knows how to fight. Or, as the enemy did a couple nights ago ( they outnumbered us easily 2 to 1 ), they hid in SM and jumped down everytime they thought we were leaving, then we came back and either killed or chased them back inside, again and again… I am BP… One could say that because BP was a T6 server they had poor players… or you could be more accurate and say that we simply didn’t have the blob numbers that are out there now. We had, and still have some very good players and groups… and now they have more people to link with (which some of us are doing) to make more fun!

I hated the switch at first.. I’m loving it now… for myself, I don’t want to go back to a situation where most of the day is pvd…

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: Rocket.1723

Rocket.1723

So, last night, saw Mag/DR develop an interesting strat for small-groups…they patrolled the approach to the keep that the zerg was attacking to keep people from running back. We had to mass up in larger groups to get by them because as 1’s and 2’s we were being picked off. You just have to get creative about how you support the zerg. If all you are looking for is small group fighting, i think there’s a game mode for that…it’s called PvP.

in WvW

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

“I don’t care for server pride, therefore it doesn’t exist” (basically your point, which is terrible)

Time for people to remember you can enjoy the same thing for different reasons. Server pride has existed on Darkhaven (as an example) for years, tons of old vets still around, still coming out to see the old friends and make the same old jokes we’ve been making since launch. If YOU haven’t experienced that personally, that’s your problem, don’t project your issues onto others and say it doesn’t exist anymore.

Also the changes to servers haven’t gotten rid of server pride, you’re still with all your old server mates and servers are still distinct even if they’re joined temporarily. That doesn’t mean server pride evaporates or has no place.

Stop being THAT guy who decides he doesn’t like or enjoy a certain thing and says that therefore nobody else can. It’s silly.

Also liking small scale combat, or a focus on community over tryhard fitez tier (seeing as you’re apparently a Mag lover, I know, trying to understand that anyone else likes something different is probably confusing to you) in no way implies you only like mindless PvD. That’s, yet again, you projecting your own interpretation of how smaller WvW server’s individuals play/enjoy the game. Some do mindless empty map k-train, some don’t.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

in WvW

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

.. Maybe server pride doesn’t exist on the low-tier garbage servers, but in the secure, high-ranking servers (Tiers 1 and 2), it’s definitely a thing. Even if we do have problems with certain Alliances hopping around and trashing the place for everyone else.

Um what? Low tier “garbage” servers are the ones most well known FOR their community and server pride. That’s why 99% of the people in the low tier “garbage” servers stick around. Having seen your t1 “community”, you may have some loyalists, but relatively the server loyality is FAR stronger in lower/mid tiers. Your servers are filled to the absolute brim with people who will transfer off the second the action changes.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

in WvW

Odin.8270

@ Sartharina.3542:, its really sad to see how you consider things at your own view.

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

To be clear, I love the linked servers thing. I think the whole “you just QQing because you can’t pvd” thing could easily be a lack of perspective though. Lower tier servers got to enjoy a lot of small group pvp without worrying about someone popping an emergency waypoint and rolling over you with 70.

There are a lot of match ups I really enjoyed that are tough to find when every fight has a hard timer before never ending reinforcements show up.

In tier 7, if you had 30 you were rolling fat. The chances of meeting a group that outnumbered you by more than 10 were very slim.

In whatever tier I’m in now, 30 can take camps and maybe ninja a tower outside our corner.

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

The Merges (or whatever they are called) is good for the overall game. OP you are a minority, if you weren’t your original server would not have had a small population. It’s pretty ignorant and selfish to think that they should cater to a select few people instead of doing whats best for the game and majority community.

WvW was on life support, it’s now recovering somewhat because of changes like this.

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

I keep reading its only beta. Shouldn’t this be resolved before even presenting options on scoring? Too many concurrent “betas” could muddy the waters if things go poorly…

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

Op if you want smth small theres pvp for that. Even if youre brought into a bigger server merge you can still run as a small group and not follow the commander at all. Server pride doesnt nessecarily have to be gone, both names of the servers is on the wvw list. You should see it as two brothers having to combine their forces against all evil ;D As long as your name is on the list matchup, your server will always have pride, because you work together to win.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

“Beta” in WvW means 99.9% this is going to be the permanent mergers.

in WvW

Teon.5168

“Beta” in WvW means 99.9% this is going to be the permanent mergers.

I think a lot of the stuff we’re currently seeing in wvw will stay, but probably with some major tweaking. I seriously doubt if the server pairings will stay the same, as Anet said themselves that they will be changing. But yea, I think the pairings in general(with whomever) are something that won’t be going away. Which doesn’t bother me at all, as I am enjoying the increase in numbers of players in wvw.

I will gladly put up with queues if it means more people in wvw.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I think OP is in the situation I’m in….

I spent so long in PvP and roaming T1 before merger that I forgot how to fight people on my own. killing NPC’s at camps while avoiding massive blobs produced barely any fights which in turn decayed my skill levels… I transferred to Mag for the fights and to improve my skills but turns out I’m still a pro at dying and running away…… For now

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Want to know why?

Here’s the short version in bullet points.

• Being thrown into a new server without your say.
  • Wanting a small WvW community, but now having a Que size ranging to 40 on every map.
  • Being berated by other server members daily as if I chose to move.
  • Server pride = GONE

Here’s in more detail.
If I wanted to move to a larger tier server, I will fork over the money and gems to do so. I chose my server for the reasons that it was small in population, it had a good community, and it was a smaller tier. Smaller community meant friendlier players and no pressure to move up or maintain its tier. But when we moved up by our own means, it built server pride and an investment into the community. Smaller also meant no que time for maps, every map was free and meant every extra person was essential. Being on server that whole guilds dedicated to being toxic to others doesn’t help in the transition and when going into WvW means more infighting and actual fighting, WvW is no longer enjoyable.

OP, with such an opinion you’re going to run into the small minded and the narcissist that do not see any other way of playing than their own. Especially the “parity preachers” that do not understand there’s such a a thing as player preference. That players used Tiers as a way of creating user created rules of engagement.

Here’s two other thoughts I’d like to address….

I will gladly put up with queues if it means more people in wvw.

The Merges (or whatever they are called) is good for the overall game. OP you are a minority, if you weren’t your original server would not have had a small population. It’s pretty ignorant and selfish to think that they should cater to a select few people instead of doing whats best for the game and majority community.

WvW was on life support, it’s now recovering somewhat because of changes like this.

Now, are there actually more players in WvW? Or, since they decreased available space by half, is it the doubling of population density that gives a player the perspective that WvW population has actually increased? I have a feeling this WvW Beta has had a net zero effect on the actual WvW population.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Teon.5168

Now, are there actually more players in WvW? Or, since they decreased available space by half, is it the doubling of population density that gives a player the perspective that WvW population has actually increased? I have a feeling this WvW Beta has had a net zero effect on the actual WvW population.

There certainly are many more players in wvw than there used to be on Kaineng, a low tiered server. Does that mean there are more net players on wvw, or is it just being paired with TC??? I imagine it is mostly being paired with TC and some due to returning players.

At the same time, I have seen some Kaineng wvw players that have been gone from the game for awhile, that are now back playing wvw. So it has brought some players back.

Is there a net increase? The only ones who know that are Anet.

Like I said before…..I will put up with queues to see more action in wvw. I would much rather have queues and activity, than no queues and very little action in wvw(what is was like in Kaineng before the patch)

But, that is just my opinion. I know that there are also a few on the lower tiered servers that wish to have it back the way it was.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Posted by: wyther.8372

wyther.8372

The server merge doesn’t suck, just not implemented the best. It would have made much more sense to do the following:

Tiers 1 – 3: Leave them alone. There is no need to merge these tiers with the lower tiers as they have enough population anyway and it just made queues much worse in some instances. Also, server “culture” shock between the tiers is very great.

Tiers 4 -5: Merge the populations here together and call it TIER 4

Tiers 6-8: Merge all these together and call it TIER 5

That way if you want the huge massive blobs you still have that option in the high tiers. You can still do the larger population which can blob, or run skirmish groups of the new tier “4” and you can have the medium populations of the new tier 5 where you can small group, skirmish and on more rare occasions blob.

That is how I would have done it for a first round testing anyway. Might still need some adjustment, but probably less than what we currently need.

Gilkin – Ex Commander for ET server

in WvW

Posted by: Virtute.8251

Virtute.8251

Server mergers are a staple of the RvR game format. It always comes to pass.

WvW has always been a diluted RvR format, relative to past and future RvR games. Server loyalty (in the sense that you would refuse to or dislike playing with another server, just on principle alone) is a fool’s errand. Guild loyalty is what ultimately matters.

WvW is a hybrid. It mixes heavily with the ideas that GW2 and GW1 PvP and GvG borrowed from, and its map design is clearly templating the MOBA “lanes” concept.

The WvW leaderboard is a relatively static structure. The matchmaking is there to move competitors but intentionally does it slowly.

If you can’t see what ArenaNet intends to do with this linkage system, then you need to review their details again and think it through.

Links will shuffle.

Servers can have no partners.

Servers can have multiple partners.

Host servers have significantly reduced population caps.

Legendary PvF Keep Lord Anvu Pansu Senpai
RvR isn’t “endgame”, it’s the only game. Cu in CU.

(edited by Virtute.8251)

in WvW

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

IMHO, Whether someone feels server pride or not is their choice.

The wide array of personal opinions stated as if they were facts makes the task of creating an enduring wvwvw game mode very difficult.

Please try to enjoy the game mode, constructive feedback is appreciated by many.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

I personally, prefer this new system over the old system. The only other option I could think of them doing, which is something everyone would rage against… it to delete the lower pop servers and force those players on the lesser populated servers.

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Loosmaster.8263

I personally, prefer this new system over the old system. The only other option I could think of them doing, which is something everyone would rage against… it to delete the lower pop servers and force those players on the lesser populated servers.

I wouldn’t object to this if it’s across the board. Delete 12 servers, rename the remaining 12 and force everyone to reselect a Home World.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Posted by: Daemonne.5018

Daemonne.5018

For me it has nothing to do with “Server Pride” I’m okay with Guild pride and the other guilds we pair with on our server. For me it is not wanting to be paired up with a T1 – T3 server. ET is paired with BG, and once again while they are a friendly bunch or guilds on that server, that playstyle is not what the lower tiers were about or wanted.
The people from the lower tiers who wanted that, transferred off long ago. Also we have people from top tiers who transferred down to get away from that.
Anet is doing a great job with their plans and focus on WvW. Personally I just feel they went about it a bit wrong with merging anybody with kitten (not 100% sure about T3 though)

If Anet flat out merged us with another lower tier, all would be fine. There wouldn’t be that lingering question of “is this it?” With a top tier, well I would actually consider transferring down for the first time since I began pre-launch. It’s just not my preferred method of WvW. In fact, I gave it a chance right up until they reactivated Alpine, and even once during. The blobs are just too large, many and annoying for our float groups.
But now, I am just content to sit back and explore the PvE world of this game, maybe get into some Raid groups finally.

Yes, this is a live Beta and as a Beta the Devs want feedback. That is what we are doing here, on both sides of the issue. Now, I don’t agree with how the OP went about his title. In fact I paid more attention to the responses than to his/her original post as his/her title set the tone and I prefer calm and rational discussions to the hate mail.

If you play solitaire with only one suit, your game is going to end faster and feel lacking.

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

@Daemonne: I’ve heard other people talk about transferring “down”. Down where? There really isn’t much of a down.. it’s either big blobs or smaller blobs… the days of the “little” server skirmishes are all but over. Transferring “down” to a lower server is not what it used to be.. :P

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I wouldn’t object to this if it’s across the board. Delete 12 servers, rename the remaining 12 and force everyone to reselect a Home World.

Not a bad idea since so many guilds are now cross server, they could all pick a server to be on as a guild and have some guild pride in guild wars.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.