WvW Poll 27 June: Simultaneous Borderlands

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

In light of lil devils x.6071’s comments (they’re too many to properly quote but have a general feel to them) and him personally and intimately knowing thousands of WvW players

If everyone I know that has voiced they hated the DBL quit, the game would lose thousands of WvW players instantly. I think you misunderstood the poll results.

I propose a new poll. The people of WvW will be given a simple in and out choice, on whether to keep WvW or have the gamemode be closed entirely. We can call it.. the Wvexit.

Jokes aside, in regards to the poll, the people have spoken(overwhelmingly) on what they want. And you can’t say they had to vote like that because it was either mixed blands or DBL for three months, because they were given another poll on whether to remove the DBL entirely and once again they voted to keep it (overwhelmingly).

There is no point in speculating at this moment what is going to happen, because even when we had only DBL and a lot of people did leave, I remember there were still quite a lot of people playing on DBL and I’m from one of the lower tier servers. It may not have been the grand zerg battles that occurred on AL, but there were there, and whether or not it will be the same when they have the choice will remain to be seen.

No, the outcome of the poll isn’t important anymore. Now, the focus should be on the way Anet will implement it, which can go one of two ways:
1) They do an awesome job and there are a lot of complaints about minor things, bugfixes, etc.
2) They botch it, in which case there’s an overwhelming amount of complaints and suggestions on how to fix it, and then Anet goes through the slow process of doing it.
So should probably save your pitchforks, torches and suggestions for either of those cases.

Honestly, it’s interesting to see all the complaining from the playerbase, even when Anet actually started polling said playerbase on their opinions and further actually implemented what the playerbase wanted. Is it because a vocal minority that is dissatisfied with certain things and thought it was a majority suddenly found out they’re not actually a majority? Ooops…

I think it is unquestionable that the DBL were not well received. And that most people didn’t like them. Its not just here on the forums that it was discussed. It was the general feeling on my server. And in listening to people on other servers it was the general feeling elsewhere too. It was evidenced by the in game play. Heck Anet even made a lot of changes to them which I doubt would have been done if most people viewed them positively as they were implemented.

And to think that the poll about keeping the DBL was a poll about whether people liked it or not is a big mistake. The DBL stayed for a number of reasons, all mentioned in this thread and others.

I think lil’ devils is right in that there is still work to be done on the DBL. And it would best if Anet made further changes before putting it back into play.

in WvW

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Id be curious to know how many total votes there was for this, vs the WvW community,

The DBL will either give a server a massive advantage over others as no one will go near it, or a disadvantage if the server that gets it, has there playerbase avoid it,

The Map itself was not well received when it was first added to the game, I hope Anet have done a massive rework to it, as it stands you can get around the ABL a lot faster than the DBL, I personally will avoid the DBL as I cannot stand it, and I hope that Anet monitor the playerbase using the DBL map to see if its truly worth using, I understand the designers spent a lot of time on the map before HoT but I think the vision they had for it, was not what the players had, thus the hate, don’t put all this work into trying to revamp WvW to undo it all again,

And to the person who claimed WvW players only say they are going to quit and don’t, I can tell you that I know of several WvW guilds who did quit, and did not return, so it does happen.

Also this could heavily affect matchups,

If the map is always green, servers will tank score to not win,
If the map is always blue, servers in 2nd will tank to try avoid it,
If the map is always red, this could kill of playerbase on these servers.

(edited by Ok I Did It.2854)

in WvW

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

Ya know, there is a lot of people that share you opinion. Personally I don’t. I actually prefer the new map. I used to think I was a minority. However, after the poll not to get rid of dbl and now to rotate it I can clearly see, that there are just a lot of loud people like you are the minority that just don’t like this map period.

What players actually voted for was getting a new WvW map ( not the DBL) was better than getting no map and that playing part of a game all of the time was better than playing a whole game part of the time. This was due to 1) Anet said they would not make an actual WvW map unless players accepted the DBL, 2)they knew the game mode would be destroyed if they had to have 3 months of DBL alone.

The objective of updates should always be:

• To increase game population
  • to increase player satisfaction
  • To Increase game longevity

What players voted for was to keep the desert borderlands. Then to rotate mix it in with alpine. Players make all kinds of speculations and all have their own unique motivations. To be frank, you say you rep other peoples thoughts a lot. You’ve said various things about other polls and then were proven wrong by the majoirty results. Your cynical attitude about wvw is draining to read thread after thread. Please just say your piece and stop trying to be the communities ambassador.

Anet said many things that they would try: to make another map, to fix it, to leave it as is, to delete it. Up until those two polls the whole issue of what to do with dbl has been undecided. That’s what the polls are about, its feedback to help them make decisions.

Anet has chosen to agree with the polls(which I’ll add, they don’t have to!) and say they will make an honest effort to follow through on them. Which will do all three of the above that you listed. You have to realize for the base its a net gain. You can’t appease everybody which is why I stated the next point.

If it bothers you that much, just avoid dbl. If it angers you that much that you want to quit, the quit already.

If everyone I know that has voiced they hated the DBL quit, the game would lose thousands of WvW players instantly. I think you misunderstood the poll results.

Telling players to leave rather than voice their opinions does not increase game population, player satisfaction or game longevity and is counterproductive to improving the game. These results do not mean players are happy with them. It means since players could not get what they wanted ( have a new map without the DBL or a whole game all of the time) they chose to settle for this instead, knowing the problems that will come with it will not be easily resolved.

I’ve already gone over the community ambassador bit… Bottom line, if you don’t enjoy something don’t force your self to play it. By all means do voice your opinion. Be critical, be constructive about what your perspective is, how what we have isn’t working and move on. That’s at least productive and useful both anet and the player base.

Sadly I never see those kinds of responses anymore. What I see instead is way to many people participating in a circlejerks of negativity because things didn’t go their way and no one gets anything from it, it just makes everyone tired. Spewing constant negativity about how people force them self to play gamemode that they don’t enjoy is not going to make an enjoyable experience for anyone. All it will do is make anet tired, and they will give up on this game mode again and make players that actually enjoy wvw to leave in droves. I’d rather those kinds of people that are not enjoying the game mode to say their piece and move on(and hopefully comeback if things look appealing to them) so the rest of us can enjoy what we still have.

Edit don’t know why I used rotate, meant mix.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

(edited by Eval.2371)

in WvW

Posted by: Aileras.9460

Aileras.9460

My thinking on this, is most of the wvw players that preferred alpine stopped playing (at least a majority, I know I did) and what is left are the ones that prefer desert. We’ll just have to wait and see. Change can be a great thing but it can also be a nightmare. Hope those that voted to keep the DBL actually stay and play, if player participation drops any more it will be unplayable.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

The DBL will either give a server a massive advantage over others as no one will go near it, or a disadvantage if the server that gets it, has there playerbase avoid it,

This makes no sense to me.

Nobody wants to defend the BL so it’s a weakness
But nobody wants to attack the BL so it’s a strength.

Don’t they kinda cancel one another out?

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

What players voted for was to keep the desert borderlands. Then to rotate them in with alpine. Players make all kinds of speculations and all have their own unique motivations. To be frank, you say you rep other peoples thoughts a lot. You’ve said various things about other polls and then were proven wrong by the majoirty results. Your cynical attitude about wvw is draining to read thread after thread. Please just say your piece and stop trying to be the communities ambassador.

1) they are not even rotating the BLs. That is not even what they voted for. You are mistaken, They are going to have 2 alpine 1 DBL in play at all times, no rotation.

2) I am actually discussing this here because I was asked to. Yes, as an ambassador of sorts if you want to call it that for those I spoke to ( Players from multiple guilds in both NA an EU servers including my own as well) who had left the game over HoT when I asked them what it would take to get them back to the game. They said that ANet had to make these changes, so I came here to try and help make that happen. I am not just speaking for myself is the issue here. That is also why I think it so important to include past and present WvW players in the poll or they will never correct the mistakes that made most of the population leave in the first place. Current WvW population is MUCH smaller than it used to be and they are not even correcting the flaws that caused the majority of the players to leave.

3) You can go read the actual reasons why players said themselves why they voted he way they did. They already stated this on the numerous poll threads.

Anet said many things that they would try: to make another map, to fix it, to leave it as is, to delete it. Up until those two polls the whole issue of what to do with dbl has been undecided. That’s what the polls are about, its feedback to help them make decisions.

Again you are mistaken. Anet never said they would take it out and fix it, players were never given that option at all. I am the one that suggested that. Please show me these quotes from ANet if this is what they said they would try. What they actually said was they cannot make certain changes to the map if it is in the live game, and that if players did not vote to keep the DBL, they were not likely to make another map.

If it bothers you that much, just avoid dbl. If it angers you that much that you want to quit, the quit already.

Telling players to leave rather than voice their opinions does not increase game population, player satisfaction or game longevity and is counterproductive to improving the game. These results do not mean players are happy with them. It means since players could not get what they wanted ( have a new map without the DBL or a whole game all of the time) they chose to settle for this instead, knowing the problems that will come with it will not be easily resolved.

I’ve already gone over the community ambassador bit… Bottom line, if you don’t enjoy something don’t force your self to play it. By all means do voice your opinion. Be critical, be constructive about what your perspective is, how what we have isn’t working and move on. That’s at least productive and useful both anet and the player base.

My first large multi game guild was started on campus at University of Texas In Austin. It has over 2000 members, and many of those player play here in many guilds on many servers. I have played on numerous servers NA and EU and have many friends on both NA and EU servers. My current primary guild is a large WvW only guild. When HoT ran off many people from all these guilds, I went and asked many people scattered across BDO, ESO, Minecraft and even playing Pokemon and other games because they were so frustrated with the game at that point what it would take to bring them back because I enjoy playing this game with my friends and family. I enjoy having a game that the many of us can enjoy together. I asked both players I play with and against from a good number of different guilds. Some of what I have asked for here isn’t even something I agree with, but was what more than one person had asked for so I added it to the list. I was hoping some how some way they could be heard so that the game wouldn’t die, because as many will tell you WVW was dying. It was hemorrhaging players faster than it ever has.
If it were just me asking for things, I would say get rid of all the NPCs from WvW, but my friends disagree and think they are important so I am not asking for what I want here…

Sadly I never see those kinds of responses anymore. What I see instead is way to many people participating in a circlejerks of negativity because things didn’t go their way and no one gets anything from it, it just makes everyone tired. Spewing constant negativity about how people force them self to play gamemode that they don’t enjoy is not going to make an enjoyable experience for anyone. All it will do is make anet tired, and they will give up on this game mode again and make players that actually enjoy wvw to leave in droves. I’d rather those kinds of people that are not enjoying the game mode to say their piece and move on(and hopefully comeback if things look appealing to them) so the rest of us can enjoy what we still have.

We are not trying to make them tired, we are trying to make them fix the game so everyone can enjoy playing it. Instead, what we have been seeing is decisions being made that will make players leave the game rather than grow the population , so players are offering options to make it so no one leaves. That is far more productive than attacking other players for trying to get the needed changes done to increase the games population, player satisfaction and game longevity.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

This makes no sense to me.

Nobody wants to defend the BL so it’s a weakness
But nobody wants to attack the BL so it’s a strength.

Don’t they kinda cancel one another out?

No because they don’t happen at the same time to the same severs. On some servers it is a strength for others it is a weakness.
It is essentially a new " which servers have less players that hate the DBL?" win mechanic that did not exist in the game before.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

It is essentially a new " which servers have less players that hate the DBL?" win mechanic that did not exist in the game before.

It’s not new. There are players who dislike EBG. There are players who dislike ABL. There are players who like DBL. It’s not a new idea, it’s a new variable.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Gotta love those walls of text from the self proclaimed community spokesperson.

I did read your stuff, though, Sarrs. Some very good points.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Gotta love those walls of text from the self proclaimed community spokesperson.

I did read your stuff, though, Sarrs. Some very good points.

ok this made me laugh….

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

Please try not to attack posters, just express opinions.

Previous to HoT a vast majority of my time was spent in WvW. Many things have reduced my enjoyment of the game mode, including the one zerg meta often adopted in my timezone.

Please keep the constructive suggestions flowing BUT be aware, WvWvWers are a diverse lot and not all of us like the same things within the mode.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now