WvW Poll 31 May: Mixed Borderlands (CLOSED)

in WvW

Posted by: Grant Gertz

Grant Gertz

Producer: WvW, PvP, and Fractals

Next

A message from the WvW Team,
The next WvW Poll is up!
https://feedback.guildwars2.com
Please share your thoughts and feedback on the poll in this thread!

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Dont rush to vote on this one, because there are TWO options for the simultaneous option, so make sure you read it carefully before voting.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

what xtd said – NO != no DBL….

IMHO, this poll was worded much better than previous polls. The results pie chart doesn’t differentiate the 2 yes votes however….

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

The results doesn’t show which of the two simultaneous options is which.
Can that be changed?

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

in WvW

X T D.6458

DBL will be part of wvw regardless of the results. I chose simultaneous, because I would rather it be limited to one map for more variety for people, so this way we can have more choice and 3 different maps. If we have a rotation every 3 months or so, we only have the dbl as a borderland which is not something I personally want, I would rather choose to play on Alpine personally speaking.

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Can that be changed?

I think they both count as yes. They are gathering two metrics and sub-dividing one. It will come down to rotating versus simultaneous maps.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in WvW

TheGrimm.5624

How long will the poll run for?

in WvW

TheGrimm.5624

IMHO, this poll was worded much better than previous polls. The results pie chart doesn’t differentiate the 2 yes votes however….

A NO vote actually means you will have 3 months of DBL when it comes around where as the YES vote means ABL and DBL are up with differing mixes of how many of each.

The base poll remains, all of one type of borderland with a rotation or both types are always up, hence why there are two YES options.

in WvW

Liston.9708

A NO vote actually means you will have 3 months of DBL when it comes around where as the YES vote means ABL and DBL are up with differing mixes of how many of each.

The base poll remains, all of one type of borderland with a rotation or both types are always up, hence why there are two YES options.

That was what != meant. A no vote does not mean no dbl at all which I am sure some who voted No think it does.

in WvW

Posted by: synergy.5809

synergy.5809

where’s the option to scrap the desert borderlands?

in WvW

Posted by: dargon.7253

dargon.7253

I like the idea of simultaneous, however IMO, I think a third distinctive BL should be created eventually, with the goal of making each BL one of the 3, randomly picked for each match up. IMO, the simplest method would be, this week all the Red BLs are ____, but I think having it completely random for each of the match ups would be even better.

in WvW

Posted by: zhonnika.1784

zhonnika.1784

UGH where the devil is the no DBL ever again option? Nobody wants that crap back!

Poll should have actually asked if we wanted it to come back, not how much of it we wanted. This is a really, really bad idea.

Kashmara – Elementalist | Reapermara – Necromancer
Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

If yes wins, I hope Anet would be willing to reverse the decision (or take another poll to reverse it) if it proves to be a disaster.

And it could very well be a complete disaster if Desert turns out to be way easier to defend than Alpine. Thus giving the Desert server a big advantage. Or if Desert is always empty so that server basically gets to keep their entire BL all week.

(edited by Johje Holan.4607)

in WvW

Posted by: Soren.9316

Soren.9316

UGH where the devil is the no DBL ever again option? Nobody wants that crap back!

Poll should have actually asked if we wanted it to come back, not how much of it we wanted. This is a really, really bad idea.

Whether you agree with it or not there are enough people out there that do like Desert Borderland, not to mention I can’t see Anet scrapping something they’ve worked on over a year. This poll is about appealing to both camps and letting the community decide how they want Desert back in. If you dislike it your best option is Simultaneous: 2 Alpine + 1 DB. This way you never have to set foot in Desert if you didn’t want to.

IGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

in WvW

Posted by: zhonnika.1784

zhonnika.1784

Whether you agree with it or not there are enough people out there that do like Desert Borderland, not to mention I can’t see Anet scrapping something they’ve worked on over a year. This poll is about appealing to both camps and letting the community decide how they want Desert back in. If you dislike it your best option is Simultaneous: 2 Alpine + 1 DB. This way you never have to set foot in Desert if you didn’t want to.

And trust me, I won’t. This will only contribute to bigger queues on the other maps and since queues were already a problem with world linking…. how is this considered a good idea?

Kashmara – Elementalist | Reapermara – Necromancer
Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in WvW

TheGrimm.5624

I like the idea of simultaneous, however IMO, I think a third distinctive BL should be created eventually, with the goal of making each BL one of the 3, randomly picked for each match up. IMO, the simplest method would be, this week all the Red BLs are ____, but I think having it completely random for each of the match ups would be even better.

The Mixed borderland options creates a way for them to have 3 different maps up at the same time. So voting that way allows that options and ways to future test new maps as they are designed versus the previous method where only a handful were in to test in advance of release.

in WvW

TheGrimm.5624

That was what != meant. A no vote does not mean no dbl at all which I am sure some who voted No think it does.

My bad I was reading your NO combined with the ! as emphasis on the NO bit versus != as in <>, NE or not equal.

in WvW

Posted by: NeroBoron.7285

NeroBoron.7285

yes please more different maps!!! alpine + desert + a new one would be awesome! and change the maps so they have a more fair layout like on eternal battle grounds!

Btw why do you only accept changes in your polls above 75%? oO shouldn’t it be 50%?
I mean currently there are 50%+10% for rotation and 30% against it. Twice as much people are for it, than against it. And it wont be accepted? Seems not fair :P

Also I guess you should clarifiy the options, guess ppl won’t realize they actually have desert borderlands for 3 months every 3 month

(edited by NeroBoron.7285)

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Please change to include option of deletion of DBL.

in WvW

Posted by: casantis.3106

casantis.3106

I will not go to DBL, but my vote is for 2 ABL and 1 DBL. Because i don´t want to rotate with DBL.

Por la Razón o la Fuerza [CL]

in WvW

Posted by: synergy.5809

synergy.5809

Yep, enough ppl liked it so much that it’s basically empty all the time and you don’t run into anyone else in it for hours at a time. And on higher tier servers it’s basically treated as an overflow map like EotM on reset nights.

If they’re gonna appeal to the minority on this then I’d like to see them undo world linking too on a rotational basis.

(edited by synergy.5809)

in WvW

Posted by: defult.9253

defult.9253

the option to have no DBL is missing from this

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

lol… I prefer the DBL’s… and if this happens I expect they will be much like the DBL’s were before.. actually probably even more deserted unfortunately… I would love DBL’s with action… but if there is a mix then at least there will be some easy pickin’s… unless people decide to go to their DBL and defend it.. unlike in the past… :P

Basically what I’m saying is that with a mix it’s more likely that people will go to wherever the Alpine BL’s are and EB and mostly leave the DBL alone… That’s my bet anyway…

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: NeroBoron.7285

NeroBoron.7285

Yep, enough ppl liked it so much that it’s basically empty all the time and you don’t see anyone else in it for hours at a time. And on higher tier servers it’s basically treated as an overflow map like EotM on reset nights.

They will not delete something where they put so much offer in. And to be honest i am actually ok with that map, since the latest changes. But I really dislike the idea to have 3 times the same map, doesn’t matter which one. I just love to have some more variety there

in WvW

Liston.9708

My bad I was reading your NO combined with the ! as emphasis on the NO bit versus != as in <>, NE or not equal.

yep – developer so used to != as “not equal”. my fault for code speak

in WvW

Posted by: Bandini.6185

Bandini.6185

What I don’t understand is why so many people (up to now) have chosen rotating. Should you like DBL or not, rotating means that every 3 months, you have a map you like less. And for people who enjoy both, isn’t it better to be able to chose the map when you want, instead of waiting a quarter ?

in WvW

Posted by: egzius.9031

egzius.9031

can we have a poll about how irresponsive gw2 support is? seeing all this feedback, I would like to know if support is not answering other people’s queries too. You could use that information to improve too.

in WvW

Posted by: Bigsexy.8302

Bigsexy.8302

. The down side of both maps running simultaneously is the possibility of imbalance between the maps;

So you admit you know nobody will go play on the desert BL, everyone will stack on alpines. Then why do you still insist to have this map in WvW? And even propose to be updated each 3 months. 3 months of dead WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Depraved Ambience.7942

Depraved Ambience.7942

Some players actually do enjoy the desert borderlands, so stop whining about how you’d like to see it gone. I voted [Yes 1: 2 Alpine, 1 Desert] because I know many players will just want to blob Alpine, so for those of use who like both maps, it may be possible to play Desert without blob, Alpine without blob, or Alpine with blob. Maximum choice. Yes 2 would just result in Alpine with blob, 2 Deserts without blob, and maximum whine.

in WvW

TheGrimm.5624

Some players actually do enjoy the desert borderlands, so stop whining about how you’d like to see it gone. I voted [Yes 1: 2 Alpine, 1 Desert] because I know many players will just want to blob Alpine, so for those of use who like both maps, it may be possible to play Desert without blob, Alpine without blob, or Alpine with blob. Maximum choice. Yes 2 would just result in Alpine with blob, 2 Deserts without blob, and maximum whine.

I appreciate your sentiment, but if you prefer DBL over ABL you should vote that way since this is also a mini-poll on people that like DBL as well. You can always go back in to change your vote. That’s why they are combining the YES votes to compare to the NO (rotation) votes.

in WvW

Posted by: Nightingale.8364

Nightingale.8364

What is this Poll for?

in WvW

X T D.6458

What is this Poll for?

From the Poll results page

“Today we’re here to ask about the future of the borderlands maps in WvW. The current plan is to rotate the active borderlands map with each quarterly update. The alternative option is to have both Alpine and Desert Borderlands running simultaneously. The down side of both maps running simultaneously is the possibility of imbalance between the maps; the upside is more choice and variety of which map to play on.

As before, we’re looking for a 75% of those voting either “Yes” or “No” to agree to make the change that both borderlands should be available simultaneously. If 75% agree “Yes”, the most popular “Yes” option will be chosen.

Do you believe that having both borderlands running simultaneously would be a superior game experience compared to rotating border lands each quarter?"

in WvW

Nightingale.8364

What is this Poll for?

“Today we’re here to ask about the future of the borderlands maps in WvW. The current plan is to rotate the active borderlands map with each quarterly update. The alternative option is to have both Alpine and Desert Borderlands running simultaneously. The down side of both maps running simultaneously is the possibility of imbalance between the maps; the upside is more choice and variety of which map to play on.

As before, we’re looking for a 75% of those voting either “Yes” or “No” to agree to make the change that both borderlands should be available simultaneously. If 75% agree “Yes”, the most popular “Yes” option will be chosen.

Do you believe that having both borderlands running simultaneously would be a superior game experience compared to rotating border lands each quarter?"

OH right. I thnink this has already been anwered cause people stopped playying cause the “new” bl’ s came out.

not sure this is important, the votes ANET will get will not represent the masses that wll not play the DB borderlands.

Even the way the question is asked goes to show how the devs really want to cling on to something that the everyday player refused, who can blame them, its alot of work for nothing.

(edited by Nightingale.8364)

in WvW

X T D.6458

What is this Poll for?

OH right. I thnink this has already been anwered cause people stopped playying cause the “new” bl’ s came out.

not sure this is important, the votes ANET will get will not represent the masses that wll not play the DB borderlands.

I am not a fan of dbl, but regardless it is going to be part of wvw. So I voted for the simultaneous implementation for several reasons. I think its the best option, more variety having 3 different maps, more choice for those like me who dont like dbl so we can choose to stay on alpine because if we get rotation ALL borderlands are replaced with the desert map instead of just one. And also there are people who do like the dbl and also considering all the work that was put into it. I think the 2alpine/1dbl/1eb path is the best way to go.

in WvW

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

Need another option.
Give us an option to remove dbl as a choice, look at your results, then use this data from the current poll.
Are there a few people that like dbl? yes.
Were they enough to keep wvw alive? clearly not
Just rotate dbl with eotm map each quarter.
Again, don’t take my word for it. Just give that as a preliminary poll and look at the results.

in WvW

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

Absolutely Yes (variant 1). Many of us want to NEVER set foot in DBL, and the simultaneous gives that option (as opposed to rotating, which gives us 3 months of forced DBL, IE 3 months of just hanging out in EBG and EOTM). The amount of players who prefer DBL over alpine, as far as I can tell, will only take up one map’s worth, so leaving the other two as alpine all the time is a better option.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

in WvW

Posted by: Depraved Ambience.7942

Depraved Ambience.7942

I appreciate your sentiment, but if you prefer DBL over ABL you should vote that way since this is also a mini-poll on people that like DBL as well. You can always go back in to change your vote. That’s why they are combining the YES votes to compare to the NO (rotation) votes.

No, I voted exactly the way I wanted to. I know what I chose. If I were to change my vote, it would be to a No vote because I would not mind rotation between the maps.

in WvW

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Before you guys get your jimmies all rustled I would like to draw your attention to a comment Tyler made over at reddit:

“If simultaneous borderlands wins, we’d be more likely to work on another borderlands map. So that each team could have a unique borderland, but it’s not something we are currently working on.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4lx2gx/may_31_new_wvw_poll/d3qwc2f?context=1000

edt: added link to the comment

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by FrouFrou.4958)

in WvW

Nightingale.8364

I dont think ant got the first “poll” answer when people walked out of DB borderlands the first time. That was a real beta test anet and no ty.

in WvW

X T D.6458

Before you guys get your jimmies all rustled I would like to draw your attention to a comment Tyler made over at reddit:

“If simultaneous borderlands wins, we’d be more likely to work on another borderlands map. So that each team could have a unique borderland, but it’s not something we are currently working on.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4lx2gx/may_31_new_wvw_poll/d3qwc2f?context=1000

edt: added link to the comment

Interesting, I would think there would be a new map coming with the next expac that is currently being worked on.

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

what kind of options are these?

I don’t want to defend a home desert bl,
I don’t want to roam on an enemy desert bl.

Just scrap it please.
There is no equal to Alpine Bl and there never will be.

in WvW

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

Can that be changed?

I think they both count as yes. They are gathering two metrics and sub-dividing one. It will come down to rotating versus simultaneous maps.

They are divided on the chart now:

Yes 1 = 2 Alpine + 1 Desert
Yes 2 = 2 Desert + 1 Alpine

Both with different colors. Yet it is stated on the pool that YES will count as one, so Yes 1 + Yes 2 needs to equal 75% or more

What I don’t understand is why so many people (up to now) have chosen rotating. Should you like DBL or not, rotating means that every 3 months, you have a map you like less. And for people who enjoy both, isn’t it better to be able to chose the map when you want, instead of waiting a quarter ?

I dunno, have a nagging feeling many voted for No without reading and thinking that means the Desert borderland won’t return. However, I truly hope am wrong though.

what kind of options are these?

I don’t want to defend a home desert bl,
I don’t want to roam on an enemy desert bl.

Just scrap it please.
There is no equal to Alpine Bl and there never will be.

Anet isn’t asking which border do you like. They already stated there will be a rotation every 3 months between Alpine and Desert. The Devs are giving us the option of having mixed borders instead of long periods of only one border, that’s all.

Remember if you vote No, Desert borderland will replace Alpine border in 2 months for a quarter.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

(edited by azyume.6321)

in WvW

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

Please make a jungle themed map and have true tri-realm play like we had in DAoC. This 3 identical borderlands thing we’ve been dealing with for 3+ years is not true to the original tri-realm design. Each faction having a unique borderland to identify with was a major feature of tri-realm at it’s inception. Red team isn’t just red team, it’s the desert team. Green team isn’t just green team, it’s the jungle team. Blue team isn’t just blue team, it’s the alpine team. This is what WvW needs. If some serious PPT imbalance pops up with one map continuously outperforming for it’s home team, you can make small changes to the maps over time to balance out each map’s keeps and barracks relative difficulty to capture, but I really don’t see that as being a problem to begin with.

(edited by Asgaeroth.6427)

in WvW

Posted by: Timelord.8190

Timelord.8190

Why are you still pushing on with this desert crap?
No option to scrap the desert borderlands even. This poll is a joke…

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

in WvW

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4lx2gx/may_31_new_wvw_poll/d3qwc2f

[–]Anet-TylerB 32 points an hour ago
If simultaneous borderlands wins, we’d be more likely to work on another borderlands map. So that each team could have a unique borderland, but it’s not something we are currently working on.

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

Rotation or not. Quarterly is too long (3 months-ish).

Games lose a good chunk of population in about 2 years. MMOs can “linger” for 10 years at best. So 3 month is a significant percentage to a game’s popular life.

1-2 weeks is my preference if there is a rotation.

Side “hard to do” preference: work on the game engine itself so scaling the number of maps is easier to allow for future designs instead of just 3 “home maps” 1 “balanced map.” As populations dwindle the map amount can be scaled if and when servers are merged/die off.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

If simultaneous borderlands wins, we’d be more likely to work on another borderlands map. So that each team could have a unique borderland, but it’s not something we are currently working on.

Given this statement I have changed my vote to simultaneous. 3 different BL maps is the dream. Everyone should bear this in mind when voting and you can change your vote later.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I’ll just say this… whatever the result of this poll will be could have huge impact on WvW development in the long term. Particularly when it comes to future expansions. I mean they didn’t exactly say it it, but this poll could be a major factor when they decide if we ever see major map level changes in WvW going forward.

Personally, I’d also rather have the choice on which map to play every time I load into WvW as opposed to being stuck with one of the two existing maps for three months. I also think that WvW is and it should be asymmetric by nature to a degree and as such I don’t see a strict reason to stick with the current two map format in the long term.

Regardless of what I think of DBL, seeing as it was only ever their 4th WvW map I think they did okay, and I believe they have the ability to learn from that, and I would want to see them eventually be able to develop new substantial WvW content such as the maps with confidence, because without that confidence eventually WvW will hit a glass ceiling in terms of the kind of content they can add in an expansion for example.

(edited by Crise.9401)

in WvW

Posted by: Zulika Mi Nam.1092

Zulika Mi Nam.1092

No vote for me – there was no option to remove DBL from WVW just as there never was a vote to put it in.
All of the available options will limit my playtime.
Not gonna chase down more information a dev makes on reddit, twitter, facebook, or other random site instead on the actual poll/site where people vote.
If you are not going to use your own forums get rid of them.

(edited by Zulika Mi Nam.1092)

in WvW

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4lxt91/psa_if_simultaneous_borderlands_wins_the_wvw_poll/d3r3768

[–]Anet-TylerB [score hidden] 9 minutes ago

Just to clarify. The Simultaneous Borderlands is a system that better supports a third map, than the rotation strategy. So an additional map would be more likely in that respect. However, our development priorities are still community driven. We wouldn’t start building another WvW map unless it was put to a vote, and won.