WvW Practical at Level 20?

in WvW

Posted by: Dewar.5089

Dewar.5089

Hi everyone, I just bought the game on discount this week, so I’m still getting used to how ArenaNet paces content. I don’t really feel like the WvW was explained very well inside the client, so I’m not really sure if I should even be trying them at level 20. It was advertised to me pretty hard what with the Daily WvW quests up at the top right of the playing screen/login screen and the notifications that WvW was unlocked when I hit the appropriate level. Is there anything I can do that’s really useful at level 20? If not, what level should I be checking back in at?

in WvW

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

At level 20 your up leveling will not put you on par with true 80s with gear. You also lack trait lines. I would suggest going to EOTM until you reach 80 from there get exotic gear and a proper build and head into your server’s VOIP and see the true WvW experience. You are more than welcome to come into the normal WvW now but you will be a target for gankers and could easily get frustrated.

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Hello, and welcome to Guild Wars 2. WvW is a very fun large scale PvP game mode where fights can range against 1 player, and sometimes against hundreds, if the other server shows up for a 3 way, wait till you get to Stonemist castle.

Unfortunately Anet has not, in my opinion at least done a very good job promoting and marketing WvW, or even explaining it. So its really up to individual players to learn from guilds, server groups, online guides, etc.

One thing to remember WvW is a competitive gamemode and emotions and passion can run high so remember to have a thick skin, remember you are there to fight and kill, getting called a noob or whatever will happen at somepoint, just pay no attention to it.

At level 20 you are limited in what you can do because you are still lacking skills and traits, and dont have access to good gear for Regular WvW. But there is also an area called Edge of the Mists that you can do, you can enter it the same way you enter regular WvW. EoTM (Edge of the Mists acronym) is kind of a casual WvW experience, its basically a place to screw around in and has no relevance on your servers standing as the matches are only 3 hours long. You can actually just jump right in there at level 20 and follow a zerg (large group) and learn the ropes. Now most of us who mainly do WvW dont like EoTM much because we see it as to casual friendly, but it will help you learn a few things and get a feel for WvW until your ready for the real experience.

Level 80 is when you want to start getting the appropriate gear, decide what setup you want, exotics or ascended is what you should aim for. Superior runes/sigils. Joining a guild will help you out A LOT, there are many active WvW guilds that are more then happy to help teach about WvW to those that are willing to learn.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Dewar.5089

Hmm, that’s a bit disappointing that I’m going to have to wait all the way until level 80 to be useful in real WvW. It makes me miss the level tiered setup that Warhammer Fantasy had, but then at this point most people would be out of the early tiers anyway I guess. Thanks for the answers everyone.

in WvW

X T D.6458

Its worth waiting for, look at it as a learning oppurtunity, get to know the game, the profession, its skills/weapons/traits etc. This way you have a better understanding of what you want to do when you hit level 80.

Also, take note of what server your on and what tier its in, the wvw experience will differ with the higher tiers generally being more active and fielding more numbers.

And just an fyi. If you should decide to transfer to another server for whatever reason, here is a free way for new players. If you delete all your toons you can transfer to a new server for free. Just make sure to deposit whatever you have into your account bank. This is better for new players because you have less time invested in new toons and thus less to lose, it would be easier to start over.

Have fun.

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

you are intended to get to max level quickly. dont be too disappointed

plus you can fool around in it and have some fun whatever level you are. just dont take it seriously until youre 80, traited, and geared.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

X T D.6458

One other reason low level players are not useful in WvW is that they are usually targeted by enemies because they can rally downed enemies much easier then a lvl 80 who is fully geared and traited. This also causes friction for many wvw groups who do not want low level players running with them for this reason, and if they are not in comms like ts/mumble etc.

Forgot to mention, make sure you have ts, or mumble or whatever your server uses.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Join a blue commander on Eternal Battlegrounds or EoTM and you’ll be fine, just dont follow any guild groups. The very presence of upscales can make them loose a fight.

I would highly recommend staying out of WvW until 80, do sPvP and PvE instead to learn your class. Getting to 80 is easy, explore a map, do a couple of story missions, repeat.

in WvW

Posted by: Krustydog.3072

Krustydog.3072

Unwritten rules-no ressing up levels unless fight is over and if you do play wvw as an up level ALWAYS stay with the zerg. I’ve leveled plenty of tunes in wvw you just have to figure out how to be an asset with out all you gear/skills. That being said it’s definitely easier if you are a ranged class. Front lines are no place for you. You will be given grief on the leet servers but not so much tier 6 and down. Come to SoR, you’re more than welcome here.

SoR FTW

in WvW

X T D.6458

Ive leveled toons in wvw as well, but it was after learning it with level 80’s. Just going in there as a new low level player might turn him off wvw.

in WvW

X T D.6458

Unwritten rules-no ressing up levels unless fight is over and if you do play wvw as an up level ALWAYS stay with the zerg. I’ve leveled plenty of tunes in wvw you just have to figure out how to be an asset with out all you gear/skills. That being said it’s definitely easier if you are a ranged class. Front lines are no place for you. You will be given grief on the leet servers but not so much tier 6 and down. Come to SoR, you’re more than welcome here.

I would hardly call it elite behavior, its practical understanding of the games mechanics. If your facing a large enemy force and there are soft targets in your group that can rally many downed enemies potentially turning the tide of the fight costing you time and possibly the objective your fighting over, how is that elite behavior? You dont go into a fight trying to lose, and until anet changes the rally mechanics low leveled players will continue to be a liability, unfortunate yes, but its just the way it is.

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

There are plenty of useful things that you can do while you’re upscaled in WvW. You just will be at a severe disadvantage in any fight with almost all other players who are level 80.

You can still carry supply, build and man siege, scout for the map, and help walk yaks.

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Wvw should work as spvp. Enter and you are lvl 80 and you can change gears any time at spawn

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

My personal opinion – up levels welcome when there is no queue. If there is a que, some will most likely complain…… I could care less personally, but I can see it happening.

Best advice I saw was stick to ranged and follow a Zerg. Hamster mentioned other things too, but those are sort of mundane non exciting things (for me personally).

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

In my opinion,

Enjoy the PvE content in GW2 until you are atleast level 60.

At lvl 60, join a zerg train and have some fun.

Wear defensive Armour and trait defensively.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Krustydog.3072

I would hardly call it elite behavior, its practical understanding of the games mechanics. If your facing a large enemy force and there are soft targets in your group that can rally many downed enemies potentially turning the tide of the fight costing you time and possibly the objective your fighting over, how is that elite behavior? You dont go into a fight trying to lose, and until anet changes the rally mechanics low leveled players will continue to be a liability, unfortunate yes, but its just the way it is.

didn’t call it leet behavior called it leet servers. understandable when there are q’s to get it.

SoR FTW

(edited by Krustydog.3072)

in WvW

Posted by: Anaktas.7390

Anaktas.7390

Hello Dewar and welcome to Gw2 and to the WvW family. Unfortunatelly you wont be able to assist much in WvW in your current level. You will be a “rallybot” which basically means that in a fight you will die so fast and your only contribution will be to rally downstate enemies. The term is offensive to upscaled and noob players.

What you can do is scout, upgrade towers and set sieges to towers. Though that must not be what you might look for.

My advise would be to leavt the best for last. (sPvP is always accesible)

Go to PvE, see the game, enjoy it, take your time to learn your class. And once you reached level 80 and want to do join WvW you will be free to do so.

*Start by finding an appropriate build for your class ( http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki , not the best meta but will work)

• Find your server’s player – driver WvW community (http://www.gw2wvw.net/ servers tab)
  • (Important part) Join teamspeak or whatever voice thingie the current team uses.
  • Good to find a guild and get the thrills in human massive ingame killing ( )

Feel free to ask anything or send an ingame PM.

Commander of Seafarer’s Rest.
Eternal Illumination[EB] Guild Leader.

in WvW

Posted by: DevilishLyx.2340

DevilishLyx.2340

The straight forward answer is no.

You have 3 options really, you can either follow the karma train in EOTM and level your character there.
Apparently you can get a few tombs of knowledge from sPvP, so you can try that and level up that way.
Or if you want to follow the zerg in WvW, jut remember to stay back and tag enemies, even if you are a melee dont run into the middle of the battle. And be careful a backstab thief doesnt find you, you’ll be dead in seconds.

As you level up you can do your story missions as well, those give some nice xp as well.

But if you do play in WvW with an uplevel, be prepared to be hated and people telling you to go away, cos your easy death can rally the enemy and cause your zerg to lose the fight.

in WvW

X T D.6458

didn’t call it leet behavior called it leet servers. understandable when there are q’s to get it.

what exactly do you mean by elite server, what is that supposed to mean?

in WvW

Posted by: Dieallknow.1387

Dieallknow.1387

lets see outta 10 toons 9 have leveled mostly in wvw, the badge armor was broke at one time and made you super powered now it still good just not as good. uplevels in wvw are ok mostly, just not on reset.

[IIII] Playing from Prison
“Lets take the green keep I need the Vista”
“Quit Laughing I need the Vista”

in WvW

Krustydog.3072

what exactly do you mean by elite server, what is that supposed to mean?

the top dogs.

SoR FTW

in WvW

Dewar.5089

I’ve had a couple people in game recommend sPvP as well. The funny thing is that I haven’t unlocked it yet. If that’s really supposed to be prep for WvW, they ought to open it up first eh?

No worries, it’s nice to know that I guessed correctly and it’s only a few levels before I can get into sPvP and try it out.

in WvW

X T D.6458

you can go to pvp through the portal in la, just the icon on the top left wont show up till a toon on your account unlocks it through the leveling

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

I’ve personally done WvW with groups/guild with up-level, and it can work, you just have to be aware of what you can and can’t do. Soloing camps is pretty much out of the picture for a long time. But I did start with an 80, so I was already familiar with WvW before that.

That being said, I found that there was always things you could do, even as an uplevel. Home BL scouting, upgrading, manning siege, building siege etc (Not claiming I’m good at any of that though, but it also teaches you to use the mortars and cannons etc, which can be handy).

But I have had lots of fun running in a group with up-levels, I try ti pick weapons and skills that I can use to help the party, setup CC and conditions for the rest of the party, since I don’t do all that much damage as up-level. For engineer I loved the rifle for knockdowns, pushbacks, and Imob. Kept running around just trying to setup enemies for my team mates to slaughter them. And the utility Mine that you can trigger for knockback and blast with healing turret. With thief I just loved using the imob shot, the various crippling daggers and arrows, and the interupt shot.

So if you have a group that don’t mind, you can still be plenty of useful

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

Hmm, that’s a bit disappointing that I’m going to have to wait all the way until level 80 to be useful in real WvW. It makes me miss the level tiered setup that Warhammer Fantasy had, but then at this point most people would be out of the early tiers anyway I guess. Thanks for the answers everyone.

Getting to max level in GW takes a fraction of the time it takes in other mmos like wow. Like others have mentioned, join the karma train in eotm and you will be 80 in a week or so. Joining the real fight in the BLs is going to be frustrating before you hit 80 and get geared up as you will get targeted and killed before you can even react.

Osu

in WvW

Posted by: Kanebrake.6192

Kanebrake.6192

As a new player no it’s not practical for you to be in wvw at level 20. If you were an experienced wvw player than maybe. The problem is less to do with your skill than how easily killed you are and how the rally system works in this game. Even though you will be upscaled to be level 80 you’ll still be as weak as a level 20 and won’t be able to survive long once you get focused. Then when you die you’ll rally pretty much anyone who is down and has you targetted. Maybe 1 person, maybe 15 or 20…

BG

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

In my opinion,

Enjoy the PvE content in GW2 until you are atleast level 60.

At lvl 60, join a zerg train and have some fun.

Wear defensive Armour and trait defensively.

I agree with this really, uplevels taking up queue spots – are just no use with low stats. Level 20 entry is way too low, unless it’s EoTM.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

Its not very fun to die real fast. You basically melt until your geared appropriately. Even the best kiters will eventually get killed. And playing too cautious will give you next to no experience to help you level. EOTM is faster to get to a higher level. If you do go wvw, just know your character is better once your 80 and geared, its night and day really.

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in WvW

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

You don’t have to wait until you’re 80 to play WvW. Otherwise Anet would have made it a requirement. Yes, some players will moan about it. Avoid those players and block them if necessary.

I’ve used WvW (and Edge of the Mists) extensively to get my characters to 80. You can definitely contribute even at level 20 by:

Carrying supply and building siege
Using a ranged weapon to stay alive longer
Use support skills to buff your allies (Warrior warhorn, etc.)
Rez downed allies

And so forth. Just stay with a large group because if you wander on your own or in a small group you WILL get ganked immediately.

Don’t let other players ruin your WvW experience or tell you when to play it. You paid for the game and you can block the verbally abusive. You can also find groups and commanders in WvW that are glad to have you along and teach you the basics. Just ask.

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

WvW is no option for uplevels. Yes, arenanet’s decision to make level differences in WvW was pointless.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain