Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Forum Bug
lalala tralala

WvW guild chat- "population balance"

in WvW

Posted by: gitflap.9031

gitflap.9031

Too many threads on this forum wind up this way; TLDR slanging matches often involving the same people. Any worthwhile points/suggestions/gripes get lost in the bull.

Anyway, I think ANet wants Megaservers. Whether they deliberately trashed the game mode in order to make that inevitable is up for debate. A speedy reset of WvW within 2 weeks of HoT launching might have prevented it though. Most of those who play for server pride above all have quit. Not gonna be much of a fuss made now.

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Over a year of development better bring outstanding result. With 3-4 developers that’s a quarter of a million investment just to fix balance and reward issues. I would expect amazing results from that sort of investment, unless its just a year of development by a lonely developer working 3 hours a week with broken developers tools he would have to reprogram… Then nothing would get done even if you took 5 years for a WvW overhaul.

Anyway, we’ll see if that hype will deliver, if it doesn’t WvW is just finished.

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

The needs and necessities of wvw are changing.

Population disparities need to be fixed period.

To have healthy competition you need to have closer to equal numbers.

Your old mode is almost dead. You need living bodies in there to even have this mode working in the first place…

Time to awaken to wvw reality.

If you answer to me, atleast read what I wrote – it was okayish though funny the first time around but my efforts to answer you on your patronizing reply were completely unheard.
Wvw as it is now: EotM without megaservers. Wvw as it is now with megaservers = EotM – we don’t need wvw anymore. So, we could spare us the pain and just play EotM – who cares, right? All that matters is “bodies” oh and “loot”!

Are there wvw population disparities among servers?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Sigh, y’all are so silly… All of US severs can fight each other in eotm… All EU servers can fight each other in eotm… It’s ummm three sided for a reason, though, right? Hmmm, wonder why…

Megaserver hello? How long has eotm been around and y’all don’t even know your own game? Really?

How can you all provide suggestions on what’s best for wvw and be all anti-megaserver when you don’t know what it is, what it does, how it works in relation to wvw, don’t know it’s already happening in eotm and how successful it has been in eotm… Really peeps?

Eotm released 2/14/1014…

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Edge_of_the_Mists_

Going on almost 2 full years now and y’all don’t know?

/facepalm

Much sadness…

Umm yeah…. Completed in April of 2014… for pve maps…

The same player pooling map tech was put into eotm that was released 2 months prior…

Same same… Megaserver…

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/April_2014_Feature_Pack#Megaserver_system

The roll-out of the megaserver system was completed on April 21st, 2014.

Article mentions PvP & it’s assumed PvE, but it does not say WvW.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Edge_of_the_Mists

Worlds will be matched according to which color they are in the current WvW matchup. For example, all green worlds will be on the same team in the Edge of the Mists.

Article specifically explains how the Match-up in EotM are done.

@Swagger

You’re the leading advocate for Megaserver in our WvW Community. Would you please review the GuildWars2 Wiki articles & stop embarassing yourself?

You need to get a better understanding to explain the Megaserver mechanics properly, or nobody else will…imho.

Yours truly,
Diku

Umm it doesn’t say wvw because it’s not in wvw right? It’s in eotm…

Megaserver tech was used in spvp and pve and eotm…

I’m not sure why the concept is difficult to understand…

Notice how it was all launched around the same timeframe? Hmmm?

Only two of you don’t get it so far.

Eotm… All red side NA gets pooled together on one map… All green side NA gets pooled together on one map… All blue side NA gets pooled together on one map…. Same for EU…

When that first map gets filled, a second map is made…

When this second map is full, a third map is made…

And so on…

That’s called Megaserver… Been in place for almost two years in all areas of the game except wvw…

Edit- do you understand why eotm Megaserver is seperated into 3 colored sides?

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

If Green fills up first, boom overflow, while Blue and Red have the Outnumbered buff. For this to work correctly in WvWvW (3 sides is the key here), the system must be able to monitor population fluctuations on all 3 sides and keep them fairly close before even attempting to create an Overflow map.

There is so much that needs to be set and tested to ensure there is equality amongst all 3 sides. Megaserver does not do this atm. But it really doesn’t matter because at the end of the day what you ask for and what you get will be 2 totally different things because the Population was left out of the design.

Thank You and Have a good day.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

If Green fills up first, boom overflow, while Blue and Red have the Outnumbered buff. For this to work correctly in WvWvW (3 sides is the key here), the system must be able to monitor population fluctuations on all 3 sides and keep them fairly close before even attempting to create an Overflow map.

There is so much that needs to be set and tested to ensure there is equality amongst all 3 sides. Megaserver does not do this atm. But it really doesn’t matter because at the end of the day what you ask for and what you get will be 2 totally different things because the Population was left out of the design.

Thank You and Have a good day.

Here is a dev quote on eotm stuff…

“helps servers with low WvW population and you don’t have to worry about server imbalances.”

It has been tested, and implemented for almost two years already everywhere except wvw…

Tech and purpose is the same… Megaserver is the term… Same same… Not rocket science here.

This server pooling stuff is coming in one way or another and you can title it whatever way you want it doesn’t matter…

Devs are working on wvw for a year, they’ll figure it out because they have all the live stats from close to two years now…

in WvW

Loosmaster.8263

It has been tested, and implemented for almost two years already everywhere except wvw…

I like that bold part…

Tacktical Killers [TK]
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Posted by: displayname.8315

displayname.8315

EotM could be called an extention of the WvW color coded system. Could be called an overflow of stacked servers creating further unbalanced matches. But it does not work like a real WvW alliance based system should.

Why don’t we just call it mega-alliance so people don’t get lost in semantics. EotM does not do alliances. All it does is create overflows for servers that are stacked. There is no chance of balance, only last a few hours, nothing like what a WvW mega-alliance-server system would be.

JQ subsidiary

(edited by displayname.8315)

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

EotM could be called an extention of the WvW color coded system. Could be called an overflow of stacked servers creating further unbalanced matches. But it does not work like a real WvW alliance based system should.

Why don’t we just call it mega-alliance so people don’t lost in semantics. EotM does not do alliances. All it does is create overflows for servers that are stacked. There is no chance of balance, only last a few hours, nothing like what a WvW mega-alliance-server system would be.

^^This I believe is the correct term that could properly be applied to EotM…imho.

We have too much confusion masquerading as truth…

Thank you for eloquently explaining it to the WvW Community.

Now we just need an educated & detailed explanation how such a WvW mega-alliance-server system would work.

Advocates of this Base Map Mechanic need to get serious & explain it to the WvW Community so we can understand it & at least give it a chance to be embraced.

I’m still skeptical that this Base Map Mechanic will work as I’ve envisioned how WvW should be.

So far it’s all been smoke & mirrors.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Swagger.1459

I like that bold part…

And the point is?

Or do you have wvw confused with eotm?

Or are you referring to Colin’s quote in the op and coming to realize the sometype of Megaserver tech is now coming to wvw?… hence the “population balance” comment…

in WvW

Diku.2546

For players that are confused:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/confused-how-mega-server-works/first#post4714714

What about World Bosses, Guilds, and WvW?

Later this week, we’ll be discussing how our transition to the megaserver system will affect the timing of world bosses and some changes we’re making to support this. We’ll also be discussing the long-term plan for guilds and WvW in relation to our megaserver system, so check back each day this week for more information!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/continued-improvements-to-the-megaserver-system/

Follow-Up Post only explains the Global Guild, but doesn’t say anything how the Megaserver Base Mechanics will work in WvW.

Great we can access a shared Global Guild Bank from all Worlds now.

Smoke & Mirrors again btw…nothing concrete as it relates to WvW

Crystal clear on How Megaserver works in PvE & PvP.

Totally Confused on How Megaserver works in WvW.

Megaserver mechanics might provide an alternative as far as it relates to a “WvW Population Balance”, but I have yet to find a decent ANet or Player created article that can explain How Megaserver works in the WvW context.

People matter of factly…keep explaining it to me like how the advanced technologies in Star Trek works. Yeah…I totally believe that Dilithium crystals can be used in this way.

It would be nice if folks would check their understanding on the topic matter.

Instead of offering confusing or obtuse dialogue when they’ve lost their train of thought just to appear to be in control of the discussion.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Swagger.1459

For players that are confused:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/confused-how-mega-server-works/first#post4714714

What about World Bosses, Guilds, and WvW?

Later this week, we’ll be discussing how our transition to the megaserver system will affect the timing of world bosses and some changes we’re making to support this. We’ll also be discussing the long-term plan for guilds and WvW in relation to our megaserver system, so check back each day this week for more information!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/continued-improvements-to-the-megaserver-system/

Follow-Up Post only explains the Global Guild, but doesn’t say anything how the Megaserver Base Mechanics will work in WvW.

Great we can access a shared Global Guild Bank from all Worlds now.

Smoke & Mirrors again btw…nothing concrete as it relates to WvW

Crystal clear on How Megaserver works in PvE & PvP.

Totally Confused on How Megaserver works in WvW.

Megaserver mechanics might provide an alternative as far as it relates to a “WvW Population Balance”, but I have yet to find a decent ANet or Player created article that can explain How Megaserver works in the WvW context.

People matter of factly…keep explaining it to me like how the advanced technologies in Star Trek works. Yeah…I totally believe that Dilithium crystals can be used in this way.

It would be nice if folks would check their understanding on the topic matter.

Instead of offering confusing or obtuse dialogue when they’ve lost their train of thought just to appear to be in control of the discussion.

Do you know what this topic is about?

Umm you do realize that soon Colin will talk about how they are going to resolve “population balance” with regard to wvw?

You’re getting either eotm or alliances… Using Megaserver tech that pools players and that "helps servers with low WvW population and you don’t have to worry about server imbalances.”.

It was explained to you and the alliance thing was mentioned as well, you just don’t pay very much attention…

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Why don’t we just call it mega-alliance so people don’t lost in semantics. EotM does not do alliances. All it does is create overflows for servers that are stacked. There is no chance of balance, only last a few hours, nothing like what a WvW mega-alliance-server system would be.

^^This I believe is the correct term that could properly be applied to EotM…imho.

Now we just need an educated & detailed explanation how such a WvW mega-alliance-server system would work.

Advocates of this Base Map Mechanic need to get serious & explain it to the WvW Community so we can understand it & at least give it a chance to be embraced.

I’m still skeptical that this Base Map Mechanic will work as I’ve envisioned how WvW should be.

Again, “Megaserver” is the term used to describe the player pooling tech and mechanics, you are arguing semantics because you lack any real understanding or argument…

This if from your thread… Maybe it’s time to get to some serious reading done for yourself… Or are you going to drag your lack of understanding to a third thread now?

Paying attention helps to progress topics, just remember that please, because you like to talk in circles.

Cut everything in half and divide evenly…

Example…

24 NA servers can be made into 12 even alliances

12 alliances then fight each other and be placed in tiers/ranks with closer to equal numbers…

Tier 1- Alliance vs alliance vs alliance

Tier 2- Alliance vs alliance vs alliance

Tier 3- Alliance vs alliance vs alliance

Tier 4- Alliance vs alliance vs alliance

All is same, just everything cut in half and bonded by mega/alliance…

You still have your server side and your server friends and your sever guild, but you fight along with another server to win… Make new friend and competion teams are more equal by the numbers so it’s more fair…

EU can shuffle in the three servers to make it 24 instead of 27…

Simple and effective…

Edit- IF server stacking becomes an issue in the future, devs can switch alliances to keep things equal… Or if they want to mix it up for fun then they can do annual alliance changes… Whatever, but the “maths” are simpler and more effective this way…

Edit 2- all the “cornerstones” for all this are already there…

Edit 3- we can even do some simple math right now for fun…

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/wvw

YB + ET alliance vs JQ + DR alliances vs BG + AR alliances…

Take em and combine by highest and lowest rank…

Put em all together and let me duke it out from tier 1-4 rankings based off of equal numbers now…

Tournaments have equal numbers and all servers have a better chance to fight to be number 1…

See?

And then you replied to me right away…

@Swagger

You really should create a New Topic thread to discuss your Megaserver alternative.

I’d recommend you reserve the top 3-5 posts of the New Topic so you can post updates to the mechanics that you’ll get from feedback.

That way you can spearhead it & it won’t get lost in a long drawn out discussion…like it will be here.

Would be tremendously helpful if you were to be more observant and mindful.

Thanks.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Diku.2546

Colin…

“WvW overhaul has been in development for over a year now. There are lots of core things we still need to do including population balance etc.”

Very curious and excited about the “population balance” statement…

Your thoughts?

Do you know what this topic is about?

Umm you do realize that soon Colin will talk about how they are going to resolve “population balance” with regard to wvw?

You’re getting either eotm or alliances… Using Megaserver tech that pools players and that "helps servers with low WvW population and you don’t have to worry about server imbalances.”.

It was explained to you and the alliance thing was mentioned as well, you just don’t pay very much attention…

Please do not speak for the majority of the WvW Community.

Please do not speak as a topic expert. Your comments mislead & confused people imho.

The current EotM being so successful is not due to Megaserver technology imho.

If this thread is read by ANet, I’d hope they get the impression that the WvW Community is asking for answers & details…which is what you’re also asking for too right?

in WvW

Diku.2546

Example…

12 alliances then fight each other and be placed in tiers/ranks with closer to equal numbers…

You still have your server side and your server friends and your sever guild, but you fight along with another server to win… Make new friend and competion teams are more equal by the numbers so it’s more fair…

Simple and effective…

Edit- IF server stacking becomes an issue in the future, devs can switch alliances to keep things equal… Or if they want to mix it up for fun then they can do annual alliance changes… Whatever, but the “maths” are simpler and more effective this way…

Put em all together and let me duke it out from tier 1-4 rankings based off of equal numbers now…

Tournaments have equal numbers and all servers have a better chance to fight to be number 1…

See?

@Swagger

So is the above how you envision MegaServer will work in a WvW Context?

References on MegaServer:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-megaserver-system/

Definition

How the Megaserver System Works

With the megaserver system, players won’t be separated into different copies of the same map based on the world they selected on character creation. Instead, you will simply arrive in a map and be assigned to the version of that map that makes the most sense for you as selected by the megaserver system we’ve developed. This new system takes your party, guild, language, home world, and other factors into account to match you to a version of the map you’re entering. This will increase the odds that you’ll see the same people more often and play with people of similar interests.

With megaserver technology, there are as many copies of a map as are needed to comfortably hold the population of players in that map at a given time. Rather than having a separate map copy for each home world and artificially limiting the amount of fellow adventurers you see, the megaserver system brings players together and dynamically opens up new map copies as necessary.

The megaserver system means you won’t encounter overflow maps anymore. All maps are now created equal, and the system tries very hard to always make a meaningful choice for you by keeping an appropriate number of maps open at all times. In this way, our megaserver technology can accommodate our large population and its fluctuation around world events.

The megaserver system is a weighted load balancer for players. It aggregates data about you, like your party, guild, language, home world, and the map copy where people you like to play with can be found. Using this data, it ranks all possible versions of a given map by attributing a score to each. You’re placed in the map with the highest score, which is the one with which you have the most affinity.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Swagger.1459

I’m going to let these conversations sink in to you for a while…

You obviously do not understand and I’m not going to derail the topic with having to explain general terms like “megaserver” that are used to explain the player pooling tech involved…

You can argue if you really want, but I’m not going to engage in a word sementics war with you because you prefer to run in circle and argue instead of progressing the conversation forward…

in WvW

displayname.8315

Again, “Megaserver” is the term used to describe the player pooling tech and mechanics, you are arguing semantics because you lack any real understanding or argument…

This if from your thread… Maybe it’s time to get to some serious reading done for yourself… Or are you going to drag your lack of understanding to a third thread now?

Paying attention helps to progress topics, just remember that please, because you like to talk in circles.

You still don’t seem to understand how EotM works. The “player pooling” still occurs in the WvW servers, then it is carried over to the EotM overflow maps. If you are unaware the strongest servers are usually the green color. When you carry over the concept of one color being stronger into EoTM you instantly get imbalance.

This really isn’t that hard to understand if you know what your talking about. I bring up semantics because calling EotM a “megaserver” is very misleading. The way it works is strange. It was meant to be somehow linked to the servers, as evidenced in the “supply drops” you get in WvW.

JQ subsidiary

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

One of the reason almost no one cares about PPT is because there is no reason to care about PPT. Winning the week is meaningless.

Yet you’re on YB with DK.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Swagger.1459

You still don’t seem to understand how EotM works. The “player pooling” still occurs in the WvW servers, then it is carried over to the EotM overflow maps. If you are unaware the strongest servers are usually the green color. When you carry over the concept of one color being stronger into EoTM you instantly get imbalance.

This really isn’t that hard to understand if you know what your talking about. I bring up semantics because calling EotM a “megaserver” is very misleading. The way it works is strange. It was meant to be somehow linked to the servers, as evidenced in the “supply drops” you get in WvW.

Wvw is not eotm. Eotm is not wvw…

Eotm allows for all green servers and red servers and blue servers people to play on the same map… It pools them… Eotm is a shared lobby where players can wait for their wvw server if there is a queue or Eotm can be played as a game in itself…

Wvw maps are restricted to specific individual servers.

Heart of the mists spvp lobby is like eotm… Matches are like wvw, except here you can form teams and fight against players from all servers…

Simple concepts really…

“Megaserver”/player pooling/map sharing/map accessing… It’s the core map technology at work… I really don’t give a hoot what you call it ok?

Is this arguing for the sake of arguing? Do discussions of map technology have to be over explained after two years of implementation in every part of the game except for wvw?

Most players can equate what it means when you say “megaserver”… It’s an established given that most players get… We don’t need to break out dictionaries and pull an entire topic off thread to explain and explain and explain and negotiate and niggle and discuss this simple map concept that was given a name… That name was “megaserver”… And the technology is synonymous with that word…

Am I next going to be asked to explain the actual coding process behind the entire game and what hardware Anet uses and how many staff members are in what department and what their degrees and salaries are?

And it’s this silly banter stuff that the forum specialists and devs are reading and they are doing a /facepalm…

Diku has spammed like 3 different core topic threads (plus 10 subtopics threads designed only to gain exposure to his core idea thread) about the exact same ideas basically, with different titles (but all the same core concepts), yet has zero idea what it is when you say the word “megaserver”… 2 years the tech has been in place in a pvp setting (eotm), yet he/she can’t conceptualize it still… This map tech is in place doing its things, and 99.9999999999999999997% of us already understand and can envision what the simple word “megaserver” would mean for wvw, yet I get spammed by a few of you in this thread because of a lack on understanding and use of a single word.

Do I know what Colin is going to say? Obviously that’s a no… But “population balance” is going to happen and I’m pretty sure magaserver map tech is going to be used… Either eotm style or alliance style… Still megaserver tech…

Have I sufficiently explained myself?

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: Yuffi.2430

Yuffi.2430

As far as I’m concerned any situation where people from more than one server are placed together on the same side counts as mega-server – I’m not that fussed about the nuances of how they get grouped.

The whole aim of such a “mega-server” is to fill a map with players. Doing this across NA and across EU servers means some maps will be full and others will be less full. The full ones will zerg – what else can you do when the map has so many people on: as soon as one side groups up to gain an advantage the others must too.
The less populated maps might allow for roaming or small group combat but people joining for a big blob experience will either taxi out or quit to return later. So it is quite likely that low population maps will either close or fill up and blob. This is exactly what happens in EotM instances. I thought one of the issues the new Deserted Borderlands was designed to “fix” was blobbing… so surely going to a “mega-server” system that promotes this is crazy (Oh, I forgot we’re talking Anet here aren’t we. Would they really introduce a system that promotes blobbing on an unpopular map designed to prevent it? No, surely not.).

The day that WvW turns into an extended EotM will be a very sad one indeed.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

As far as I’m concerned any situation where people from more than one server are placed together on the same side counts as mega-server – I’m not that fussed about the nuances of how they get grouped.

The whole aim of such a “mega-server” is to fill a map with players. Doing this across NA and across EU servers means some maps will be full and others will be less full. The full ones will zerg – what else can you do when the map has so many people on: as soon as one side groups up to gain an advantage the others must too.
The less populated maps might allow for roaming or small group combat but people joining for a big blob experience will either taxi out or quit to return later. So it is quite likely that low population maps will either close or fill up and blob. This is exactly what happens in EotM instances. I thought one of the issues the new Deserted Borderlands was designed to “fix” was blobbing… so surely going to a “mega-server” system that promotes this is crazy (Oh, I forgot we’re talking Anet here aren’t we. Would they really introduce a system that promotes blobbing on an unpopular map designed to prevent it? No, surely not.).

The day that WvW turns into an extended EotM will be a very sad one indeed.

The is no flawless system when human individuals are the deciding factor…

Mega/alliance is better because the chances of having more equal numbers is increased…

There would be an overflow map that was unbalanced but what can you do? Compared to what we have now which is tier 1 (which is dying as well) and the rest of the tiers…

An absolute perfect matching system for mass combat does not exist. Even if wvw were a one, and only one, supermap where every single player was put, you would still encounter player number disparities at times and for different reasons…

One thing we can agree is that wvw has been bleeding out for a long time. That is not good, nor is the jumping to high tiers in search of players and more “fair” match ups. Yes, wvw needs many things, but there needs to be something in place that addresses population issues as much and as consistently as possible.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Same people in every thread pushing same ideas… Megaserver in pve is nothing but blob content and spamming skills. I used to like to take down world bosses with my guild before megaserver. After megaserver we all ended up on different maps and I just stopped going to them. Actually did jormag for the wintersday achievements after not doing bosses in so long and it was a lagfest of mentor tags.

If megaserver is so great why are there so many empty HoT maps? Why do I need to get taxi’ed into one of the few maps that gets full and if I don’t get a taxi I’m placed on one of the endless dead maps? There are more dead maps than full maps and it should be the other way around if you ask me. Why are new maps created when other maps haven’t been filled yet? Megaserver is broken technology if you even want to call it technology..

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Example…

Simple and effective…

See?

@Swagger

So is the above how you envision MegaServer will work in a WvW Context?

“We have too much confusion masquerading as truth…

Advocates of this Base Map Mechanic need to get serious & explain it to the WvW Community so we can understand it & at least give it a chance to be embraced."

Read my other posts and let me know if there is still confusion.

I eloquently explained things in an educated way, along with much much great detail, so where was my thank you 11 days ago, and where is my thank you now Diku? Hmm?

This advocate has been serious the whole time while you’ve been dismissive and deflecting, are you finally going to start to be serious now?

It’s strange how you are considering you carry such strong server pride and honor, yet I’m fully expecting you to be dishonorable again and dodge these posts.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

displayname.8315

@Swagger

I agree that player pooling/megaserver is the way to go. I feel EotM needs explain because its a terrible example and people get turned off by it. Your idea is a good one..alot of these are good. Really just takes good PvP maps and a easy way to transfer.

But whatever if the leaks are true about these alliance groups or what not that’s still better than EotM or WvW.

JQ subsidiary

in WvW

Loosmaster.8263

Colin…

“WvW overhaul has been in development for over a year now. There are lots of core things we still need to do including population balance etc.”

Very curious and excited about the “population balance” statement…

Your thoughts?

You pick words or phrases from some post and throw hypothesis of what they possibly mean and in other posts from you stating you have no first hand information or involved in any testing.

They give us little tid bits here and there to stir the imagination but what you will get is a “Nightmare” because they *DO NOT" let the players get involved in the design and testing phases.

I would have no problem waiting 6 months to a year for a perfect WvW mode if the player base was involved. We’ve waited 3 1/2 now and what have we got from the closed door scenario?

I have no fears of the Megasever system, just of how it would be implemented. That is why we need an open discussion and testing.

Anyway, I’ll be in PvE land when your glorious system will be introduced and maybe read the screaming of what is left.

Enjoy your future…

Tacktical Killers [TK]
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

I think this is what they are testing, or rather “working on.” They want to make sure that before another instance of the WvW map is opened, it can be sufficiently populated by all 3 sides so one side isn’t in the map running around completely unopposed. In PvE (and probably EotM) it doesn’t matter that if an instance is full and they open another instance, only five players are in that instance. If there’s an upcoming event, like Jormag or Teq, more people are on the way so those first 5 aren’t left to do the boss by themselves (like in the good ol’ days when you could brag you DID kill Jormag with 6 people and no one in LA would believe you. I have screen shots!). You can’t do this in WvW and keep things fair and balanced, so there would be a que until sufficient people from all three sides are queued up before another instance is opened to allow them in to fight each other.

Poor Swagger…. I feel for ya, bud. You can’t possible explain it more clearly, yet some people STILL don’t understand what you’re saying, when it’s as plain as the pixels on the page- er… screen. I think it might help to drop the term “megaserver” and instead say, “another instance of the map.” You and I know it’s the same thing, but it’ll make it easier for others to understand without them becoming confused.

in WvW

Loosmaster.8263

Here lies the conundrum for this system.

How are they basing the teams/worlds?
How are they basing the scoring?
What are they using for a map cap?
If an Overflow is created, how does this affect the total score?
Can the players in the Overflow move to the main map once the Que is gone?
At what point will the system determine to close the Overflow and put the players in that instance back into a Que?

You see where I’m coming from about not having to be able to directly communicate with the design team and use “Real people” for testing?

I’m not sure how they test things but when I used to make maps for FPS games I used bots for finding flaws. Needless to say, you put a human in the equation, you will find even more.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

At what point will the system determine to close the Overflow and put the players in that instance back into a Que?

You see where I’m coming from about not having to be able to directly communicate with the design team and use “Real people” for testing?

I’m not sure how they test things but when I used to make maps for FPS games I used bots for finding flaws. Needless to say, you put a human in the equation, you will find even more.

Guess we will have to find out from Colin.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

I think this is what they are testing, or rather “working on.” They want to make sure that before another instance of the WvW map is opened, it can be sufficiently populated by all 3 sides so one side isn’t in the map running around completely unopposed. In PvE (and probably EotM) it doesn’t matter that if an instance is full and they open another instance, only five players are in that instance. If there’s an upcoming event, like Jormag or Teq, more people are on the way so those first 5 aren’t left to do the boss by themselves (like in the good ol’ days when you could brag you DID kill Jormag with 6 people and no one in LA would believe you. I have screen shots!). You can’t do this in WvW and keep things fair and balanced, so there would be a que until sufficient people from all three sides are queued up before another instance is opened to allow them in to fight each other.

Poor Swagger…. I feel for ya, bud. You can’t possible explain it more clearly, yet some people STILL don’t understand what you’re saying, when it’s as plain as the pixels on the page- er… screen. I think it might help to drop the term “megaserver” and instead say, “another instance of the map.” You and I know it’s the same thing, but it’ll make it easier for others to understand without them becoming confused.

Thanks! I’ll learn to be a bit broader next time

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Well if I had to take an educated guess I’d say it’s based on the same algorithm that determines price to change server which tracks player involvement over extended periods of time.

Essentially what you could get is 3 bronze servers (same side) against 2 silver tier servers with a similar average population/coverage. There wouldn’t be an overflow, you would just have a queue if there was a sudden influx on one side and there would be varying amounts of match ups from week to week.

As for testing on real people, they do test it with real people not just devs.

in WvW

Posted by: Moriquendi.4209

Moriquendi.4209

A year in development and they didn’t start with probably the biggest issue, population imbalance. I’m sure this will go well.

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Anet has been saying the same thing for 3 years now.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Population Balance = Small severs get mashed together and renamed
At least, that’s what I’m sure they’re taking from this.
Discuss

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in WvW

Posted by: gitflap.9031

gitflap.9031

Population Balance = Small severs get mashed together and renamed

If not Megaservers then 1 medium-pop server eating 1 or 2 low-pop servers who’se proud names will forever disappear from GW2.

Be wierd otherwise, merging with the very servers you’ve been scrapping with for years. Or maybe people would prefer that. Not like ANet’d ask first though.

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Sigh, y’all are so silly… All of US severs can fight each other in eotm… All EU servers can fight each other in eotm… It’s ummm three sided for a reason, though, right? Hmmm, wonder why…

Megaserver hello? How long has eotm been around and y’all don’t even know your own game? Really?

How can you all provide suggestions on what’s best for wvw and be all anti-megaserver when you don’t know what it is, what it does, how it works in relation to wvw, don’t know it’s already happening in eotm and how successful it has been in eotm… Really peeps?

Eotm released 2/14/1014…

/facepalm

Much sadness…

The same player pooling map tech was put into eotm that was released 2 months prior…

Same same… Megaserver…

Worlds will be matched according to which color they are in the current WvW matchup. For example, all green worlds will be on the same team in the Edge of the Mists.

@Swagger

You’re the leading advocate for Megaserver in our WvW Community. Would you please review the GuildWars2 Wiki articles & stop embarassing yourself?

You need to get a better understanding to explain the Megaserver mechanics properly, or nobody else will…imho.

Yours truly,
Diku

Eotm… All red side NA gets pooled together on one map… All green side NA gets pooled together on one map… All blue side NA gets pooled together on one map…. Same for EU…

And so on…

That’s called Megaserver… Been in place for almost two years in all areas of the game except wvw…

Megaserver separated things as did EOTM – but the megaserver did something much worse to WvW than EOTM ever did, – we lost the privacy of being able to make a valid and working “map call” – and there ends the real and valid WvW as we knew it before the crappy and loathsome Megaserver.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Eotm released 2/14/1014…

/facepalm

Much sadness…

Same same… Megaserver…

@Swagger

Yours truly,
Diku

And so on…

Megaserver separated things as did EOTM – but the megaserver did something much worse to WvW than EOTM ever did, – we lost the privacy of being able to make a valid and working “map call” – and there ends the real and valid WvW as we knew it before the crappy and loathsome Megaserver.

Can’t win them all. Can’t have empty maps either in pve or wvw.

I’m sure alliances and “population balance” and megaserver tech will help.

I don’t have faith in the devs in many areas and you can look at my post history for that, but I do have faith in the devs on this wvw stuff now that CU is becoming reality. I love game company competition, it kicks devs in the backside to get off their laurels lol… Doesn’t mean I’m not disappointed in their performance so far, though, but I believe better things will happen for wvw in fear of looking bad when CU is released…

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

briggah.7910

Eotm released 2/14/1014…

/facepalm

Much sadness…

Same same… Megaserver…

@Swagger

Yours truly,
Diku

And so on…

I don’t have faith in the devs in many areas and you can look at my post history for that, but I do have faith in the devs on this wvw stuff now that CU is becoming reality. I love game company competion, it kicks devs in the backside to get off their laurels lol… Doesn’t mean I’m not disappointed in their performance so far, though, but I believe better things will happen for wvw in fear of looking bad when CU is released…

Sorry but CU has if I’m not mistaking a monthly fee to play. That right there is the reason why I will not be moving to that game and I have no interest in it at all. Me personally, I would rather ride the sinking ship in this game till the end then fork over monthly fees in some other game that will likely just be over hyped and in the end it will be a letdown.

Player Vs Everyone

(edited by briggah.7910)

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I can’t believe how many words and posts have been spilled over “Is EotM a megaserver or not?”. It does not matter if you call it that or if you don’t (especially pointing to Loosmaster and Diku here). What matters is that the way Megaservers function and the way EotM functions are the same, I agree with Swagger 100% on this. Both “group players from different servers together into one map”, that’s what happens in EotM (each side is made up of random players from potentially a third of the servers) and what happens in PvE (each map is filled with random players from potentially all servers).

Once you agree with this you’ll have to agree that making WvW based on “megaservers” will likely give us a system very similar to EotM, of course they could vary things but in essence what it will come down to is grouping players from different servers together (so bye bye tier systems and individual servers).

However, this might just as well not be the solution ArenaNet chooses. There has been rumor that there will be an alliance system that is based on guilds rather than servers, so then servers will in general disappear (since all of PvE is basically one megaserver).

We can only wait and debate what we would prefer. I honestly don’t know if megaserver is the best idea, but it might be their best shot because as it looks right now populations have dropped so hard that they will need to combine servers to get enough participants in WvW.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Eotm released 2/14/1014…

/facepalm

Much sadness…

Same same… Megaserver…

@Swagger

Yours truly,
Diku

And so on…

I don’t have faith in the devs in many areas and you can look at my post history for that, but I do have faith in the devs on this wvw stuff now that CU is becoming reality. I love game company competion, it kicks devs in the backside to get off their laurels lol… Doesn’t mean I’m not disappointed in their performance so far, though, but I believe better things will happen for wvw in fear of looking bad when CU is released…

Sorry but CU has if I’m not mistaking a monthly fee to play. That right there is the reason why I will not be moving to that game and I have no interest in it at all. Me personally, I would rather ride the sinking ship in this game till the end then fork over monthly fees in some other game that will likely just be over hyped and in the end it will be a letdown.

Ok. That’s your personal right, but I’m not talking about us as individuals, I’m talking about the big picture. If you understood the history behind the creators of CU, and what is coming in comparison to what is offered in our wvw, you’d get a different perspective on the whole thing. Also, having a monthly access fee or not, has zero to do with anything.

Competition produces results here, and it’s that very same competition that forces devs to make changes to GW2, not our begging and pleading and feedback.

in WvW

briggah.7910

Eotm released 2/14/1014…

/facepalm

Much sadness…

Same same… Megaserver…

@Swagger

Yours truly,
Diku

And so on…

Ok. That’s your personal right, but I’m not talking about us as individuals, I’m talking about the big picture. If you understood the history behind the creators of CU, and what is coming in comparison to what is offered in our wvw, you’d get a different perspective on the whole thing. Also, having a monthly access fee or not, has zero to do with anything.

Competition produces results here, and it’s that very same competition that forces devs to make changes to GW2, not our begging and pleading and feedback.

Monthly fees has zero to do with anything? Actually it has a lot to do with people buying and staying in a game. I see CU pop up a lot on these forums and all I was saying was I will not be moving to a monthly fee game and I’m sure I am not the only one.

Player Vs Everyone

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Also, having a monthly access fee or not, has zero to do with anything.

Except that its a near certain recipe for failure. The last decade has pretty much proven that. It tear communities apart. Subscriptions is a massive hurdle for a large amount of people. If 50 people in a guild play GW2, do you think everyone would jump on raiding in CU? Hahaha… No. Just a few will. The rest will argue why they should pay monthly for something they dont know if they even gonna like. Many of us has already been in that swamp – feeling the need to play just because time is ticking on your subscription. That feeling when a game got you hooked and you realize you have to keep paying just to enjoy it every now and then. Eventually being forced to pay just to maintain your characters, even if you dont play all that seriously anymore. And that’s when a large number of people will think… “eeeeh maybe I’ll just keep playing GW2 or one of the other 25130956236 games I dont have to pay monthly for”.

And when there are 40 people playing GW2 and 10 playing CU, GW2 will tell the CU players “hey feeling lonely? Come join us for a raid tonight in GW2!”. What’s the CU players gonna say? Come join them for a raid? Ooooh sorry you stopped paying monthly 2 months ago… You’re not allowed to play.

So yes. CU having subscription actually has everything to do with it. No matter the pedigree of its developers.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

in WvW

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

There is no fixing population in servers cuz ppl left the mod or the game. Next step…server mega merger.. sigh…

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Focus on the big picture peeps… You miss the points entirely.

And if y’all want to really go into it, GW2 is “play for free” and doubled their monthly concurrent user base back in October… GW2 had 3,100,000 individual player log ins then… Yet your wvw is still dead, though, right? That’s the power of no monthly fee in action here right? I certainly don’t see the “no monthly fee” doing anything to save our precious wvw right?

And y’all think the creators of daoc, who are now creating an entire new pvp game, won’t make an amazing and popular rvr game? Yeah… and they can change payment models too any time they want, but the point is that GW2 has gotten a wake up call from all this…

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: Zioba.6182

Zioba.6182

Focus on the big picture peeps… You miss the points entirely.

And if y’all want to really go into it, gw2 is play for free and doubled their monthly concurrent user base back in October… That had 3,100,000 individual player log ins then… Your wvw is stil dead, though, right? That’s the power of no monthly fee in action here right? I certainly don’t see the no monthly fee doing anything to save our precious wvw right?

And y’all think the creators of daoc, who are now creating an entire new pvp game, won’t be popular? Yeah… And they can change payment models too, but the point is that GW2 has gotten a wake up call from all this…

It is my last hope that they rly wake up and not just press the snooze button like they are used to.

Sarcasm is what’s left when all hope is gone

in WvW

Xillllix.3485

“Later this year”, “Major overhaul” and “been working on it for 1 year” makes it seem like they haven’t done anything so far but want to pretend they have, while trying to keep people playing and giving themselves the margin to actually do something.

When ESO merged servers they didn’t call it a “Major Overhaul” and it certainly didn’t take them 1 year to do so. They just did it and fixed populations for years to come.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

When ESO merged servers they didn’t call it a “Major Overhaul” and it certainly didn’t take them 1 year to do so. They just did it and fixed populations for years to come.

Why would they call it that? ESO from the start didnt have servers in the classical sense (they literally called it “EU Megaserver” and “NA Megaserver” despite the fact that the EU Megaserver pretty much only was a DNS link to the NA Megaserver). The AvA campaigns they made clear from the start could vary in numbers depending on populations and rulesets.

in WvW

Posted by: Rocketmist.5436

Rocketmist.5436

Would like some more information about alliances before it goes live ideally.

[TL] Guild Leader, Sea of Sorrows, SoS Council

in WvW

Xillllix.3485

Why would they call it that? ESO from the start didnt have servers in the classical sense (they literally called it “EU Megaserver” and “NA Megaserver” despite the fact that the EU Megaserver pretty much only was a DNS link to the NA Megaserver). The AvA campaigns they made clear from the start could vary in numbers depending on populations and rulesets.

I know what I mean is that they didn’t wait until all the servers were empty to remove servers, they did it depending on the population. Yes the system was already in place, I guess GW2 WvW just started on a bad code at the base.

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

It seems like whoever is in charge has either lost touch with what players want, is afraid to try something new, is trying to balance multiple suggestions, or all of the above. Whatever it is; balance fixes, WvW , PvE and PvP changes need to occur more frequently then once every 3 months. I think that these things are not rolled out with a sense of urgency, that the game is not in decline, that WvW is not a kittening disaster. You dont need to work on WvW updates for a whole year to make some really impactful QoL changes. I dont have all the answers, and I love this game and dont want to see it fail. I’m tired of the problem being identified years too late and having more PR garbage thrown in my face. I appreciate all the work Anet employees have put into the game, its still fun to play, but unless some basic things are done I dont see this game going anywhere. This is a huge step up from not being addressed at all I guess, but really you gotta solve these issues before they turn into crisis.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE