WvW in-game Voice Comms

WvW in-game Voice Comms

in WvW

Posted by: Natto.5819

Natto.5819

I’m not sure if it was ever discussed, but what do you think about Anet installing a server wide voice chat system? With the amount of different players (new and veteran) on a borderland at the same time, it would help a lot in coordination for those learning the ropes. Anyone can bind a key to speak. And to make sure maps can be coordinated properly, voice comms can’t be muted. If a Commander yells out “South SM blue zerg inc!” in voice chat, you want to make sure they heard it. Far too often people are busy playing and don’t read commands in /Team or /Map.

WvW in-game Voice Comms

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

I think spreading WvW’s anemic Dev allocation further is a horrible idea, especially with so many excellent third party VoIP choices.

WvW in-game Voice Comms

in WvW

Posted by: Sleepwalker.1398

Sleepwalker.1398

I wouldn’t recommend, the servers are already lagging when 2 zergs fight or when there is battle near smc.
It will just frustrate ppl more and that leads to more complains.

WvW in-game Voice Comms

in WvW

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

In the future if we got better steadier servers that didnt lag then maybe. As it stands now the servers can hardly hold up to all the zergs clashing. The voice coms would just bring in more lag and disconnects.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

WvW in-game Voice Comms

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I wouldn’t recommend, the servers are already lagging when 2 zergs fight or when there is battle near smc.

These kinds of comments just make me laugh every time. By this logic, I would make your GW2 lag (no matter where you are in the world) by me watching Netflix (no matter where I am in the world). The internet is a little more robust than this. VOIP and game servers would be independant systems, just like having our server community TS/discord doesnt lag everyone in WvW. That Anet is hosting it would make no difference.

That said I find it totally pointless. Anet provides the platform for WvW, true, but its us that make WvW what it is. We dedicate ourselves to it and build communities around it and ultimately, play it like we want to play it. Its when Anet start to dictate too much how you are supposed to play it that it all fall apart. Built in VOIP would be Anet telling us VOIP is mandatory, not us making that choice and molding WvW to what we like.

WvW in-game Voice Comms

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

I’m not sure if it was ever discussed, but what do you think about Anet installing a server wide voice chat system? With the amount of different players (new and veteran) on a borderland at the same time, it would help a lot in coordination for those learning the ropes. Anyone can bind a key to speak. And to make sure maps can be coordinated properly, voice comms can’t be muted. If a Commander yells out “South SM blue zerg inc!” in voice chat, you want to make sure they heard it. Far too often people are busy playing and don’t read commands in /Team or /Map.

People use Teamspeak, or Discord… to have yet another comm and have it in the game so that you can’t shut it off would be totally disruptive. If that was the case then I would totally shut sound off in the game itself.

Also, with multiple commanders and groups nobody would want multiple commanders shouting different orders/requests over top of each other. This is what TS and Discord are for… and the folks that won’t go into TS or Discord will do as I suggested above and simply shut off the sound, at least for that service.

… just call me … Tim :)

WvW in-game Voice Comms

in WvW

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Using voice to text? From microsoft or google? And show those messages as /say or /squad so it can be seen visually? Or would it be too much clutter?

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

WvW in-game Voice Comms

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

Using voice to text? From microsoft or google? And show those messages as /say or /squad so it can be seen visually? Or would it be too much clutter?

Not sure if you’ve ever used voice to text very much but it’s not a very good option. Unless you speak like a robot and carefully, and only one person speaking… it won’t work very well at all.

WvW in-game Voice Comms

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

I think it was WoW that tried this? As I recall it did not go well at all. I personally like Discord or even TS3.

WvW in-game Voice Comms

in WvW

Posted by: Brigand.9502

Brigand.9502

Then they would have to moderate it and THAT is where the nightmare lies. This will probably never happen.

WvW in-game Voice Comms

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

These kinds of comments just make me laugh every time. By this logic, I would make your GW2 lag (no matter where you are in the world) by me watching Netflix (no matter where I am in the world). The internet is a little more robust than this. VOIP and game servers would be independant systems, just like having our server community TS/discord doesnt lag everyone in WvW. That Anet is hosting it would make no difference.

That said I find it totally pointless. Anet provides the platform for WvW, true, but its us that make WvW what it is. We dedicate ourselves to it and build communities around it and ultimately, play it like we want to play it. Its when Anet start to dictate too much how you are supposed to play it that it all fall apart. Built in VOIP would be Anet telling us VOIP is mandatory, not us making that choice and molding WvW to what we like.

2 thumbs up…

WvW in-game Voice Comms

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

I think spreading WvW’s anemic Dev allocation further is a horrible idea, especially with so many excellent third party VoIP choices.

‘Third party’ comms are awful to expensive and awful.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security