WvW ranks take too much time

in WvW

Posted by: Groonz.7825

Groonz.7825

When I saw Devon say;

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/devon-carver-on-the-future-of-world-vs-world/
“World Abilities is a great feature, but it is one that takes a pretty dedicated player to take full advantage of due to the sheer amount of time required to gain significant rank.

I just felt like there was just a big slap in the face. If Devon himself can understand that it takes a sheer amount of time to gain wvw ranks it should just be changed to account wide instead of character bound. It’s really anti-alt friendly, there are instances that occur in wvw where you are playing and there is a situation where you think X profession would be really needed at the moment, e.g. You’re about to rush in and mesmer utilities would be really helpful but your team doesn’t have many at the moment.

If WxP was account bound I would gladly swap to X profession to do what I can to support my team but as it is, I’m too inclined to stick to my main. Our team lose out on possible advantages I might bring with another character due to my selfishness of wanting my WxP to progress on my main.

I had subsided with the changes after a while when it was implemented but this latest post where Devon himselkittennowledges that it takes a significant amount of time to gain wvw ranks just reheated my dislike for the character bound wxp. I still can’t see how Anet can justify that decision; “Oh when they reach max, rank they’ll just swap to another character and progress all over again! It’s fun and adds replayability!” …no. A dedicated WvW player tends to stick with 1 character as their main wvw guy. It would be kinda stupid to see one of your well known wvw commanders abandon his wvw commander character to start progressing his wvw rank on a different character.

in WvW

Posted by: Pryda.8257

Pryda.8257

Well, most of the masteries are sadly useless. I have 7 alts that I like to play in WvW but I’m stuck with one 98, one 40 etc. This is just a nonsense, I’d love to imagine sPvP players with account bound XP.

Red Guard [RG]

in WvW

Posted by: Caliban.3176

Caliban.3176

Even more alt-unfriendly than WXP ranks is the queue system. I could deal with the different ranks on alts (especially since there is not quick respec) if we could switch to alts without having to give up your spot on the map.

[VoTF] www.votf-online.net
7.2k+ hours played on Minesweeper

in WvW

Posted by: Daethonfoot.3516

Daethonfoot.3516

You really need to fix this devon. Right now only people with one toon can chase high rank. Most people have more than one toon (one is 20% as fun as five). We need to be able to chase high rank like people with only one toon. We also need to be able to show our wvw titles in lions arch like normal titles. WVW is gw2’s version of alliance battle and gw1 players loved their luxon and kurzick titles. We are all wondering why we cant display our titles in town. Also if the reason is pve only people that might cry and not want us to have titles just tell them to shove it.

in WvW

Posted by: IcerXx.3670

IcerXx.3670

I prefer this system, it’s not like you LOSE anything by swapping characters, it’s just incentive to use one over another.

Stromgarde-[STRM]
Icer Xx
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

I prefer this system, it’s not like you LOSE anything by swapping characters, it’s just incentive to use one over another.

Same…

Plus, it’s a great way to cure altitis.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

in WvW

Posted by: Uttar.2341

Uttar.2341

Plus, it’s a great way to cure altitis.

Altitis is a disease now?! kitten ! (more seriously, discouraging people from using alts if that’s what they enjoy feels very backwards to me).

in WvW

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

When I saw Devon say;

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/devon-carver-on-the-future-of-world-vs-world/
“World Abilities is a great feature, but it is one that takes a pretty dedicated player to take full advantage of due to the sheer amount of time required to gain significant rank.

I just felt like there was just a big slap in the face. If Devon himself can understand that it takes a sheer amount of time to gain wvw ranks it should just be changed to account wide instead of character bound. It’s really anti-alt friendly, there are instances that occur in wvw where you are playing and there is a situation where you think X profession would be really needed at the moment, e.g. You’re about to rush in and mesmer utilities would be really helpful but your team doesn’t have many at the moment.

If WxP was account bound I would gladly swap to X profession to do what I can to support my team but as it is, I’m too inclined to stick to my main. Our team lose out on possible advantages I might bring with another character due to my selfishness of wanting my WxP to progress on my main.

I had subsided with the changes after a while when it was implemented but this latest post where Devon himselkittennowledges that it takes a significant amount of time to gain wvw ranks just reheated my dislike for the character bound wxp. I still can’t see how Anet can justify that decision; “Oh when they reach max, rank they’ll just swap to another character and progress all over again! It’s fun and adds replayability!” …no. A dedicated WvW player tends to stick with 1 character as their main wvw guy. It would be kinda stupid to see one of your well known wvw commanders abandon his wvw commander character to start progressing his wvw rank on a different character.

No…. I like having different siege specs on different characters. Im looking forward to getting full boiling oil mastery on one character. However, I would not want to have it on all characters.

in WvW

Posted by: Pryda.8257

Pryda.8257

So what? You’ll name your character “Master of Boiling Oil” cause you absolutely don’t want to have it on other characters? Sounds logic.

Red Guard [RG]

in WvW

Posted by: ghtchill.7613

ghtchill.7613

I really see no reason why ranks shouldn’t be account bound….after all it should an award to the player not the played character.

TC

in WvW

Posted by: Jinks.2057

Jinks.2057

I still have yet to spend a single point in WvW ranks

in WvW

Posted by: Lorelei.3918

Lorelei.3918

Well bully for you!

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Even more alt-unfriendly than WXP ranks is the queue system. I could deal with the different ranks on alts (especially since there is not quick respec) if we could switch to alts without having to give up your spot on the map.

So true. And it ties in with what Devon mentioned regarding roles within the game. Depending on what the situation is on the map, you may need to switch to an alternate to cater for what role is required. But first you have to get in a 45 minute queue, then another 45 minute queue when you get on the map and find out you need your hammer char warrior because your allies zerg is lacking frontline and you had joined the map on your ranger.

in WvW

Posted by: Caliban.3176

Caliban.3176

So true. And it ties in with what Devon mentioned regarding roles within the game. Depending on what the situation is on the map, you may need to switch to an alternate to cater for what role is required. But first you have to get in a 45 minute queue, then another 45 minute queue when you get on the map and find out you need your hammer char warrior because your allies zerg is lacking frontline and you had joined the map on your ranger.

Why would anyone ever bring a ranger? Is there some role that requires you to rally your enemies and make the game lag with dead pets?

But besides that you clearly understood what I was saying and this needs to change. Though I am fairly certain that Apple will stop abusing poor people and evades taxes before this will happen.

[VoTF] www.votf-online.net
7.2k+ hours played on Minesweeper

in WvW

Posted by: Pod.2769

Pod.2769

I would just like to chime in here.

When Character bound world xp related upgrades were first announced I assumed that gaining ranks and abilities wouldn’t take too much time. What we have is absolutely bonkers.

I know a few players on my server who have said “I’d really like to play on a different character but I’d lose my abilities or chance to rank up.” Whoever made the decision to set the bar so high to gain abilities AND character bound I hope you reconsider.

Account bound would allow players to “play how the want!” isn’t that part of your guys manifesto? Don’t punish players for having alts.

Please change the system over to an account bound system.

in WvW

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I personally like it being character bound. I also like it that it takes a long time. Gives me the sense of progression on my alts.

The Traits do help but honestly I don’t think by that much that I must play XYZ character. The classes will effect the tide of battle more then the WvW traits will.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

There are 2 different points of view on wxp
Players – wxp are bonus in WvW, and thus should be account wide and not hard to obtain, or abilities cheaper
Anet – wxp are the reason why people will play wvw for long time, thus character wide and looong time to get on high lvl with “casual” gaming (1 hour per day) and abilitied expensive so even 3 months after launch of wxp nobody maxed them

So WXP are the new leveling system. How long it took to get to lvl 80? And how long it take to get wxp lvl 80, and it is not even max lvl.
And this is the problem because it takes too long that people acctually start to hate lvling wxp (so they added wxp chests)

in WvW

Posted by: ArtC.1827

ArtC.1827

Third POV: specialization is distinction and another level of strategy.

King of YARR
“Stealth in WvW is OP.
Plz Anet, nerf Skelk.”

in WvW

Posted by: Bethryn.4087

Bethryn.4087

“Oh, you need someone to effectively man that oil before it’s destroyed? I have that mastery on one of my alts, just let me switch to them and run back here, and then we can defend properly!”

Said nobody ever.

in WvW

Posted by: Steelo.4597

Steelo.4597

sure… people with main char get 1 point per rank and you get as many points as you have characters? and maybe chests too? madness… or would you rather have the same wvw masteries on all your characters?

i fear we will look back to this day and remember the good old wvw as it is now – Jan 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I lose arrow cart mastery if I swap toons. Whenever I need to man an arrow cart, it sure feels like I’ve lost something significant. The current WvW ranks need to be switched to account bound. It’s far too punishing for people to play alts. It’s hilarious to me that he recognises WvW exp is gained too slowly yet does nothing to change the fact that problem is dramatically worse for people who play lots of characters.

Some WvW abilities feel almost mandatory once you have them, simple things like increased range on arrow carts. I can’t even imagine what it feels like to max any of the lines because I never will.

in WvW

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

“Oh, you need someone to effectively man that oil before it’s destroyed? I have that mastery on one of my alts, just let me switch to them and run back here, and then we can defend properly!”

Said nobody ever.

You’re putting the cart before the horse.

“On my tanky guardian, I man rams a lot. Maybe I should take ‘siege might’ to make things a little bit faster. I never man any siege on my roamer thief, maybe I’ll take something else on him.” – Someone at some point.

in WvW

Posted by: Elwin.2583

Elwin.2583

I fell like al this “make it account bound” players never played RvR game before. It was same way in Daoc and War and also took ridicoulos ammont of time to get and was character bound. BUt in those games RvR ranks werent useless .. they were kitten powerfullin war even more since better gear required high rank.

Elwini lvl 80 Guardian of Kwisatz Haderach[KH]
Piken Square 28 August 2012 – 10 february 2013
Tarnished Coast since 10 feb 2013

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

It was same way in Daoc and War and also took ridicoulos ammont of time to get and was character bound.

Problem is not with ammount of time in game.
Problem is that WvW achivements and WvW Wxp abilities are the only thing in GW2 that tooks ridiculous ammount of time.
DaoC, if I remember that game good, there everything took ammount of time. not only RvR ranks.

in WvW

Bethryn.4087

You’re putting the cart before the horse.

“On my tanky guardian, I man rams a lot. Maybe I should take ‘siege might’ to make things a little bit faster. I never man any siege on my roamer thief, maybe I’ll take something else on him.” – Someone at some point.

This is what’s called a false dichotomy.

You’re still having to spend more time to get the non-Siege Might upgrades on your Thief, but you’re not getting Siege Might too.

I might spend 30 hours and get Siege Might for said Guardian, and also for my Thief, even if they don’t use it.

You would spend 30 hours to get it for your Guardian, and then you’d still have to spend more time to get something else for the Thief.

There isn’t a benefit to doing things this way; it’s just creating a large time sink that, most of all, punishes players for playing multiple characters.

As someone who has 6 WvW characters, I’ve resigned myself to generally playing one – from playing 6 before the patch – because if I want to be competitive, not to mention useful to my team, I want to have the most additional abilities available to me at any given time.

+100 Vitality from Defense Against Guards? An incredible buff.
The Arrow Cart Mastery? Hugely necessary in the current environment
Supply Capacity? Amazing.

All of these things are long-term, highly beneficial goals that you only slow yourself down from getting if you split time onto alts.

Playing the game in varied way (that helps avoid burnout, I might add) should not be forcing players to fall behind the power curve.

And for players without alts, there is no downside to letting other players with alts get WXP ranks. If those players choose to get alts in the future, they lose nothing, and if they never do, the playing field is still equal.

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Yes please, account bound, with the ability to allocate points differently on each character. No reason to have such limitations, it’s not 2002 anymore. Reaching max rank takes a lot of time anyways.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in WvW

Posted by: Taggund.8936

Taggund.8936

Yes please, account bound, with the ability to allocate points differently on each character. No reason to have such limitations, it’s not 2002 anymore. Reaching max rank takes a lot of time anyways.

I had similar thoughts. If accumulating points was account based, does not mean that spending the points could not be character based.

in WvW

Posted by: Gloam Drifter.9158

Gloam Drifter.9158

The current system is inexplicable. Playing two characters makes stuff take twice as long. Playing three makes WxP practically meaningless. If the idea was to drag it out even more and make it more grindy then why does the 1 character guy completely bypass this problem? Games that reward more frequently tend to have more interested players. The bonuses are pretty weak to start with. 20 levels for 1 extra supply… really.

What about people who play 1 character for a long period of time but start getting bored with the mechanic? It seems less likely they will want to keep themselves interested in the game by switching characters if it means they have to grind wxp all over again.

There is no good reason for this that I can think of. I can’t even put myself in the mindset where someone would think this is a good idea which leaves me really discouraged about future WvW design decisions.

Lagg | Cat Six | Lögg | Heqx | Frame Loss

in WvW

Groonz.7825

To the people wanting different roles on their other characters. Simple solution; make ranks/wxp gain account wide but leave the point distribution character based. Done.

in WvW

Posted by: Snowreap.5174

Snowreap.5174

I don’t understand why we need to level each character to 80. shouldn’t it be enough to just level one character to 80, then all your alts can be 80 too?

it’s the same thing with WvW rank. getting it on one character should count as getting it on all your characters.

It is exactly the same thing, so they should be treated the same way.

Likewise, ‘rank points’ that you can spend unlocking things are exactly like ‘skill points’ that you can spend unlocking things. If you think we should have a way to reset our rank point allocation, we should get a way to reset our skill points as well, especially since a lot of skills really are useless and weren’t worth it.

Why is it ok for XP and skill points to be character-based, but not ok for WXP and rank points to work the same way? If you really believe the WXP and rank points should be account-specific, surely you can see the logic in making the same change to XP and skill points.

And if you understand why XP and skill points are better left as character-specific, you can understand why ArenaNet chose to make WXP and rank points the same way.

-ken

The Purge [PURG] – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Bethryn.4087

You can level a character to 80 in a couple of days (not to mention that you can put assets gained by other characters – such as gold, laurels, dungeon tokens and badges of honour – to use in accelerating an alt’s progression).

Reaching the peak of WXP takes months.

in WvW

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

You just have to stop caring so much about your rank itself. I have like 90 levels spread across four toons. It just….doesn’t matter.

Play the game for fun, or don’t play.

in WvW

Snowreap.5174

That’s easily fixable. Just cap WvW rank at rank 40 or something. That doesn’t take that long to reach. Then, just like skill points, you would continue to get rank points thereafter that you can spend to unlock things.

I have 3 level 80’s and each of them is still earning skill points (and each has lots of skills that I never bothered to purchase). It could be the same way with rank points.

-ken

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

Met too, not on any of my characters.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: Raine Akrune.8416

Raine Akrune.8416

I agree that WvW ranks should be account bound. I would also argue that since the commander sigil is still way over priced for its uses that it should be account bound as well. I’ve been leveling up a guardian which I’m really enjoying with a support build and would love to bring her to World vs World when I’m defending a tower BUT not for when I’m leading a warband. I don’t think I should have to shell out another 100g just for that.

Asuran Master Thief/Charr Paladin Extraordinaire
Khan of The Burning Eden [TBE]
www.theburningeden.com

in WvW

Bethryn.4087

That’s easily fixable. Just cap WvW rank at rank 40 or something. That doesn’t take that long to reach. Then, just like skill points, you would continue to get rank points thereafter that you can spend to unlock things.

I have 3 level 80’s and each of them is still earning skill points (and each has lots of skills that I never bothered to purchase). It could be the same way with rank points.

-ken

This has nothing to do with the title, and everything to do with the actual results of spending the points.

You choose to be inefficient; that’s up to you. In this case, players who do not want to be inefficient are forced to be by the nature of the system, or to give up a style of play they enjoy.

You just have to stop caring so much about your rank itself. I have like 90 levels spread across four toons. It just….doesn’t matter.

Play the game for fun, or don’t play.

Being competitive with your WvW abilities is fun. Playing many characters is fun.

You cannot do both at the same time presently.

P.S. Don’t make rude suggestions like “or don’t play”.

in WvW

Snowreap.5174

I think this is the gist of the argument:

1. You can be competitive in PvE on many characters easily. Levels and karma are required in order to be competitive (there are instances you can’t do without the proper levels and gear), but levels and karma are easy to grind up quickly.

2. But you can’t be competitive in WvW on many characters easily, because WvW rank points are required in order to be competitive, and it takes much too long to grind it up.

3. Therefore, WvW rank and WvW rank points cannot be treated the same way as character level and skill points.

There are a great many things in this game that are easier to do in PvE, and this is yet another of them to add to the pile. Arguably, this is one of the more important things and if somebody ever decides to look at the pile, this should be one of the things looked at first.

the argument could also be made that if WvW rank abilities are required in order to be competitive, then they are overpowered.

-ken

in WvW

Posted by: WIGZ.8245

WIGZ.8245

Ranking up isn’t an issue. It’s that it’s per character. That is what is broken with the WXP and WvWvW ranking system. It should be entirely Account based.

[BT] Wigz – Blackgate – 80 Engineer & Warrior
http://blacktalons.guildlaunch.com/

in WvW

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Frankly, I would mind if WXP was on a character by character basis if it was a little easier to get. I’ve been waiting to get arrow cart mastery on my main WvW toon for about a week now, but in all the things I have been doing lately I have yet to get a single WxP level on that oon.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

(User was infracted for this post.)

Quality moderation….

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

WXP ranks and commander tags should be account bound.

The current system (and the current 1 laurel from daily) punishes people playing multiple characters for no reasonable reason. Arenanet is too heavily steering people to play just one character and this bad for the future of this game as it eventually will lead to boredom and people living this game faster.

This can still be fixed. Not that many people have commander tag for multiple toons, so this wouldn’t be a that common issue.

One could simple give the highest WXP rank, which the player has, for all his/her characters or add the WXP ranks from one account together. Either is easy to program.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in WvW

Groonz.7825

(User was infracted for this post.)

Quality moderation….

Because I mentioned Devon in the title, which they’ve changed as you can see. No mention devs name in titles as “call outs” :/

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

Its a fair rule or all we will see is 50% of the threads starting with ArenaNet and the other 50% Devon.

@OP if you make it account bound how would different upgrade paths taken on different characters be handled. I imagine it is character bound right now to allow for the different upgrade paths to be taken.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

LOL is this serious? you get more free loot with it being seperate……but youd rather its be tied to account to keep your medicore bonus??? LOL sooo much hurt in this thread

Preperation H can esay most of that pain

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

yeah.. rank should be account bound, after all it is the same person that player each of the characters from that same account…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Groonz.7825

@OP if you make it account bound how would different upgrade paths taken on different characters be handled. I imagine it is character bound right now to allow for the different upgrade paths to be taken.

To the people wanting different roles on their other characters. Simple solution; make ranks/wxp gain account wide but leave the point distribution character based. Done.

LOL is this serious? you get more free loot with it being seperate……but youd rather its be tied to account to keep your medicore bonus??? LOL sooo much hurt in this thread

Don’t really care about the loot not that I need the 10+ badges and masterwork items. Are you sure when you say;

medicore bonus???

You don’t mean ‘medicore reward’ ?

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

I get a couple levels a night I wouldn’t say that it takes a lot of time.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in WvW

Posted by: SeyzTLS.6124

SeyzTLS.6124

It is perfect as it is. It doesn’t take too much time to gain wvw ranks. (Since the last patch it becomes too easy (imo)). Maybe only the benefits are at some skills to low…

But if it would be account bound, you can lvl the rank with one char to 200 and create a new char… go with lvl 5 in wvw and you have 200 wvw skillpoints and can trait everything you want?
That’s crap. It’s like lvling one char to 80 and your other chars are at 80 too… wayne how long it takes…

And why you need to “max” a rank that is apparently not designed to “max” it in normal playtime (maybe 5 years 24/7))?

…always this easy mode players… i will never understand them^^

in WvW

Posted by: Daze.6914

Daze.6914

I like it as it is too.

War Inc. Community [WIC]
Far Shiverpeaks
GW2 WvW - GW2 Gem Price

in WvW

Posted by: SkullRaven.5630

SkullRaven.5630

I think the system in place is fine. There is not a whole heck of a lot to work towards in WvW. I’d rather have something to gain in WvW, then have it basically given to me in a matter of a couple of days.

Wandering aimlessly in HoD.