dry toast pvp, harcore pvpers from daoc/warhammer bored. couple of ideas

in WvW

Posted by: dooger.2640

dooger.2640

In warhammer you could see who was tearing it up, from kill spam and mods to track it.

Well, you ain’t in WAR. You’re in GW2.

Sort of weird to go to a new game and expect what you were dealing with in a completely separate MMO. Warhammer’s team had a different vision of PvP. Guild Wars was probably intended to focus on guilds, not individual names for glory. Hence why 90% of the content is focused on guilds.

Yes, Obviously this is gw2. How successful it’s sandbox will will depends on their willingness to listen to its player base.

Guilds are made of people, heck right now not grouping with guild is better as the group color of blue on text names is almost invisible. Out of group guildmates are much much more visible.

Is that doomsday? no of course not, jsut feedback people would like to see to make the game more fun, and help keep peopel having a good time.

in WvW

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

The invulnerability when going down is literally driving me nuts. That was a HORRIBLE decision. That and permastealth thieves pretty much ruins any fun to be had.

in WvW

Posted by: Camagee.5391

Camagee.5391

Agree with op…pvp games thrive on rivalries…I also came from daoc and war…I loved getting to know my enemies and which players were vital to kill 1st in a fight…gw is all one big anon zergfest…the down state is rtarded…free transfers has ruined my server jade quarry…my guildies and I don’t want to pvp now because all the fair weather transfers have made it no fun….adding some sort of realm points and rewards are also needed…anet should really look at war hammers against all odds buff…it made it really worth it for underpopulated side to go out and fight…I had such high hopes for this pvp…anet is lucky they aren’t a subscription game..this gives it a chance to change and eolve

in WvW

Posted by: Zybane.6214

Zybane.6214

It is amazing how wrong GW2 does WvW compared to a 12 year old game (DAoC).

in WvW

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

I have to ask: is it wrong, or is it different?

How important were the castles/keeps in DOAC? I haven’t played the game, so this is an honest question. However, everything I’ve heard about the game suggests that they were a sideshow. My guess (and it’s only a guess) is that areanet decided that they wanted WVW to be more focused on the objectives, and not on kills.

this isn’t DOAC 2.0, this is GW2. the communities wil be different because the games are different.

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

Keeping names unknown is a way to avoid:
Flamming
Trolling
Trash talk between players
Harassment

It also helps keep people’s ego’s down, and makes it so the “SERVER” has to work as a full community to achieve success, instead of a few people.

If you want individual fame, go hop right into structured PvP matches.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: Dargron.3895

Dargron.3895

sPvP is the place for primarily individual rivalries, and also guild rivalries.

WvW is the place for primarily guild rivalries, and also server rivalries.

I also agree with the fact that we are only two months out of the gate here, and servers aren’t even stable yet. People are still moving around (for whatever reasons), and it’s going to take time before things get steady enough to form real emotional opinions.

How will there every be any? Every week (or two in the future) it will shuffle up. That gives you no time for any good rivalry. Sad to say but I’m pretty sure with the lack of any W3 vision this game will slowly lose more people to the point of a “zerg” being about 10 people.

There are already some great rivalries brewing between servers amid the lower tiers, just itching for an opportunity for a rematch with one another. Once server transfers become more restricted and servers settle into a more stable population, the “shuffling” should become much less dramatic, ensuring servers get their rematches on a much more frequent basis.

Dargron|80 Charr Engineer| Gaiscioch [GSCH]|Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Edamame.4830

Edamame.4830

You dont have to directly see the players name but kill spam would be nice

This.

I miss this the most from DAoC.

As for the Orbs, I think the power level is fine. However, I think they need to be made a LOT harder to get. Its should be a serious feat for a server to take another server’s orb. To the point, that they are usually not taken on every cycle. As mentioned before, some server wide messages about it should happen to help make it harder for taking.

I also agree about the RR titles. It was cool and a good bragging right.

All in all this has been by far the best PvP MMO I have played since DAoC. The bones are there, it just needs some more tweaking. It took awhile for DAoC to find its own also.

in WvW

Posted by: Edamame.4830

Edamame.4830

I have to ask: is it wrong, or is it different?

How important were the castles/keeps in DOAC? I haven’t played the game, so this is an honest question. However, everything I’ve heard about the game suggests that they were a sideshow. My guess (and it’s only a guess) is that areanet decided that they wanted WVW to be more focused on the objectives, and not on kills.

this isn’t DOAC 2.0, this is GW2. the communities wil be different because the games are different.

It depends on when you played DAoC. I was a beta tester and played for a few years after release. Things changed dramatically during those times. At first it was mainly to despawn the super guards at the relic keeps. During the first 6 month especially, it was nearly impossible to take a relic with all Keep Guards up. As more people hit the level and cap and better gear was introduced, the actual value of keeps went down. Darkness Falls revived keep taking a bit, since you had to own a certain amount of keep in total to gain access to that dungeon for your realm. As more content was introduced keeps again became less important. Most of the time RvR was RP farming at Emain anyways. This was from nearly day one.

in WvW

Posted by: Snort.3698

Snort.3698

I wonder if the issue that some people are having is more to do with the server they are on. We moved server to Blacktide and it was a huge improvement.

perhaps a move to the EU if you a re US based might liven things up.

The quality of the fights has been very high indeed.

Snorth Tufmudda – The UnNamed _ThUn.
Project Blacktide 24/7 http://tinyurl.com/a3unn9b

in WvW

Mishi.7058

DAoC is DAoC, GW2 is GW2, WoW is WoW, ect…

I don’t get why everyone is saying :

change xxx
_____game had it right
GW2 should change to how ________game was.

All the time. >_<
Like why play GW2 and then try to change the GW2 game into a game players have played in the past. I can understand valid concerns, however so many just want GW2 changed to what they are used to, and it’s getting a bit old at this point.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: Inconceivable.7823

Inconceivable.7823

Mishi, whats so hard to understand about that? NObody here said – make this game EXACTLY like this other game. If they love the other game exactly as it was more than GW2, they’d be playing that game.

But it is only logical and SMART to say ’hey these aspects of certain games" make for a more enjoyable game for gamers that are looking for x, y and z.

I would love if AN would do this but I NEVER see it happening. Trash talk and trolling cause constant reporting and problems for AN and they prob don’t want to risk losing players due to a bad experience like that. So don’t hold your breath.

in WvW

Mishi.7058

Mishi, whats so hard to understand about that? NObody here said – make this game EXACTLY like this other game. If they love the other game exactly as it was more than GW2, they’d be playing that game.

But it is only logical and SMART to say ’hey these aspects of certain games" make for a more enjoyable game for gamers that are looking for x, y and z.

I would love if AN would do this but I NEVER see it happening. Trash talk and trolling cause constant reporting and problems for AN and they prob don’t want to risk losing players due to a bad experience like that. So don’t hold your breath.

You need to chill. I made the statement because a ton of people in the forums are complaining about something not being like another game. Also the reason there are so many games is due to the fact everyone has a different opinion of what they want. 1 company can not, nor will they ever make everyone happy. Anet has taken some ideas from past MMO’s and also twisted some old ones around, and brought something with many different aspects and options.

It has some new things, as well as some old.
They haven’t stopped listening, however how much extra time do you think they currently have on their hands?
I mean between constant bug reports from millions of people, thousands of people who get hacked due to poor passwords and such, game coding, testing, and so on. It’s not like things will happen 100% over 1 night, or even 4 months. As you can already tell Arena Net has been listening and has been making changes to the game since day 1.

Players just need to learn some patience, and to use the suggestion forum more often. Heck GW2 is only coming up on 2 months since release.

Commander Silvannas

(edited by Mishi.7058)

in WvW

Posted by: Spineless.6917

Spineless.6917

The problem with WVW is Anet has done literaly nothing. No participation based scoring system. No performance fixes, zero balancing for WVW. I dont expect that to change. It requires the performance fix first and an entire new forumal for every skill in the game including how endurance works. Ask yourselves if you honestly believe that is ever going to happen based on the developement history and rate of patching?

in WvW

Posted by: Musty.3148

Musty.3148

Even I must admit that I’m dissapointed with the wvwvw implementation

I would like to see the following:

1) Culling fixed
2) Player names, This is way more important than I think they realize for serious WvW’rs
3) Some sort of “rank” structure
4) remove/change downed state to not favor zerg warfare (this would help with the culling as well if people spread out across the map more)
5) Autoloot into your bags
6) Commanders pin needs to be ACTUALLY implemented, not just some dot on the map. And it needs to NOT be money but a combination of battle related tasks.

meh, my 2 cents.

80 Elementalist/80 Mesmer/80 Guardian/80 Thief
Now Musty Britches since someone decided Shortbus Rider was offensive… [LoS] [NSP]

in WvW

Inconceivable.7823

You need to chill. I made the statement because a ton of people in the forums are complaining about something not being like another game. Also the reason there are so many games is due to the fact everyone has a different opinion of what they want. 1 company can not, nor will they ever make everyone happy. Anet has taken some ideas from past MMO’s and also twisted some old ones around, and brought something with many different aspects and options.

It has some new things, as well as some old.
They haven’t stopped listening, however how much extra time do you think they currently have on their hands?
I mean between constant bug reports from millions of people, thousands of people who get hacked due to poor passwords and such, game coding, testing, and so on. It’s not like things will happen 100% over 1 night, or even 4 months. As you can already tell Arena Net has been listening and has been making changes to the game since day 1.

Players just need to learn some patience, and to use the suggestion forum more often. Heck GW2 is only coming up on 2 months since release.

Why am I chilling? I already said I don’t see AN makign that change. I just exposed the flaw in your line of thinking. Don’t get mad at that, learn something from it.

in WvW

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

The problem with WVW is Anet has done literaly nothing. No participation based scoring system. No performance fixes, zero balancing for WVW. I dont expect that to change. It requires the performance fix first and an entire new forumal for every skill in the game including how endurance works. Ask yourselves if you honestly believe that is ever going to happen based on the developement history and rate of patching?

They have done a lot with WvW, but most of it has been behind the scenes. They are actively working on the culling thing, and for me it has made a big difference. They told us that they had to handle these back-end things before they could make any changes that we would notice easily.

You want a “participation based scoring system”, but that doesn’t mean they do.
You claim that every skill in the game including endurance needs to be re-worked, and I do not agree. I am certain ANet doesn’t either.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

in WvW

Posted by: Brunners.7251

Brunners.7251

Anet have already said previously they won’t balance for WvW. You’re supposed to use teamwork and co-ordination, not be balanced for 1v1 against every other class.

(unless that’s not the sort of balance you’re talking about, but it sounds like it is)

Acadamey Gaming EU [AG] twitch.tv/brunners90

in WvW

Mishi.7058

Why am I chilling? I already said I don’t see AN makign that change. I just exposed the flaw in your line of thinking. Don’t get mad at that, learn something from it.

A flaw in my way of thinking, yet it was a statement based of general posters in the forums. In addition to that I also suggested where to post suggestions regarding GW2 to more effectively let the developers know about them.

So no, it’s wasn’t my thinking, it was the statement which was based off how the majority of people have been posting on the forums.

As for making it a personal attack saying it was my thinking, re-read what I said.
I never specified this thread or any specific thread/post.
It was a general statement.

Though your post suggested I named 1 specific person. (By your use of “NObody here said”) As well as you missed where I had typed “I can understand valid concerns”.

So before jumping on someone, make sure you read their post, and following replies correctly. (Also your post provided nothing to learn, so if you want to suggest for me to learn from your posts, make them into a learning experience.)

Actually they have been working on some things for WvW. Anet has also stated that they are trying to correct things like the culling system and such.
Not to mention I’ve personally seen Dev’s in WvW testing things, checking out new patches and verifying glitches to be fixed.

Commander Silvannas

(edited by Mishi.7058)

in WvW

Posted by: Arakinis.5372

Arakinis.5372

Flamming
Trolling
Harassment

It also helps keep people’s ego’s down, and makes it so the “SERVER” has to work as a full community to achieve success, instead of a few people.

Nailed it, Mishi…. Anet obviously doesn’t want WvW to devolve into an individual based match, they want to keep it at the server and guild level. Which I think they should, because WvW in GW2 is about the whole community and not just the individual. If you hunger for personal fame and recognition try s/tPvP. I personally like to anonymity factor in WvW cause it keeps the trolling to a minimum and when there is trolling it’s about a group, be it guild or server instead of an individual. After all GW2 is not DaoC or any other mmo.

Arakinis ~ Lvl 80 Thief ~ Isle of Janthir
Team Legacy – [TL]
-Wipe them out…all of them

in WvW

dooger.2640

You are missing the point if you think I want them to make the game l jsut like previous games.

People go through levels of understanding on World V World that take several years to develop (which is why the reference to past games is important). People who focus on the pve portions and object trading typically dont last long, and blame devs. They zerg around, are often horrible skilled, and can’t figure out why taking the same keep 10000 times a month gets old.

People who focus on having fun in battles and running skilled 5 man teams/warbands, ie focus on quality and fun vs taking the same keep 100000 times a month last alot longer. They understand how to have fun in a sandbox.

I dont need to post anywhere else, I am posting here. I have been a software developer for 30 years, we spend millions and fly all over the world every year finding out what our customers think and finding out what we could do better to build new products.

If the devs can’t bother to read their own forums, its ok they will not be in the industry much longer.

in WvW

dooger.2640

Flamming
Trolling
Harassment

Nailed it, Mishi…. Anet obviously doesn’t want WvW to devolve into an individual based match, they want to keep it at the server and guild level. Which I think they should, because WvW in GW2 is about the whole community and not just the individual. If you hunger for personal fame and recognition try s/tPvP. I personally like to anonymity factor in WvW cause it keeps the trolling to a minimum and when there is trolling it’s about a group, be it guild or server instead of an individual. After all GW2 is not DaoC or any other mmo.

Yes, and everyone should work on the commune to make the country strong, oh wait that did not work either…

PvP or Player vs Player is about the players. The devs have never stated anything you just proclaimed. And if they do this game will be very very short lived. Its already out of content, its really about the quality of the sandbox, and the reason many bought the game.

Again the point is not to be warhammer/DaoC, but learn what makes for a fun sandbox.

in WvW

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

I’m not sure if any of you have ever been in a medieval battle but you aren’t usually on a first name basis with your opponent unless you are the king/lord/commander of one of the forces.

I would be cool if having the command icon active would display your name to the enemy, but otherwise it would just be one more field that would have to be reported and rendered separately and would just add to the current rendering issues.

Having to get as little as possible about the other players specifically on other servers means less reporting between servers and faster loading.

Also the downed state servers to slow down zergs as you must ensure that all enemies are dead. Though I feel the kill animation should be sped up.

If you are playing WvWvW to be able brag about how many kills you’ve got then you are doing it wrong. Killing the most makes you no more important than the guy dishing out boons, heals and shields, or the guy soaking up the enemy fire and definitely less than the commander providing the on the fly tactics.
(And for the record I run a high burst Thief so I am not saying this just because I don’t get a lot of kills)

Though I would think it cool if for personal and server viewing you could level up a WvWvW rank similar to sPvP, but I would want it based off of events not kills.

(edited by gaspara.4079)

in WvW

Sky.9347

You are missing the point if you think I want them to make the game l jsut like previous games.

People go through levels of understanding on World V World that take several years to develop (which is why the reference to past games is important). People who focus on the pve portions and object trading typically dont last long, and blame devs. They zerg around, are often horrible skilled, and can’t figure out why taking the same keep 10000 times a month gets old.

People who focus on having fun in battles and running skilled 5 man teams/warbands, ie focus on quality and fun vs taking the same keep 100000 times a month last alot longer. They understand how to have fun in a sandbox.

I dont need to post anywhere else, I am posting here. I have been a software developer for 30 years, we spend millions and fly all over the world every year finding out what our customers think and finding out what we could do better to build new products.

If the devs can’t bother to read their own forums, its ok they will not be in the industry much longer.

This entire post smacks of elitist attitudes, inability to empathize with other perspectives, and flat out lies.

Honestly, from this and other posts I have read by you, I think it will be your types who don’t last long.

PvP isn’t just about killing people. In GW2, it seems to me that they are making a concerted effort to guide players into understanding that. sPvP and WvW both seem designed to cause killing to be a secondary goal.

Personally, I am thrilled with that. I have never been a fan of Arena style deathmatches. I like to have objectives to build strategy around. I like to have unusual plans. I like the fact that WvW is almost entirely focused on objectives right now, and very little on kills.

If you had your way, the entire flavor of the game would change. DAoC was a great game, I’m sure, but it had an entirely different flavor to it. RvR was more about individual and small group combat, whereas WvW is more about guild and large group warfare over important objectives. RvR rewarded individuals based on their kills. WvW rewards groups based on their capture and control of objectives.

Sometimes, when an aspect of a good game will fit with the vision of a new game, suggestions to include it are cool. I especially like the idea of having “Invader” be rank 1, and having that change as a person ranks up. I think rank shouldn’t be based on kills though, but rather contributions to WvW objectives. I also think “realm abilities” is a horrible idea, and I might quit the game if it was implemented – because it directly violates the stated vision for this game.

So… long story short… keep in mind the vision of this game when you make suggestions. This isn’t DAoC, and while there may be specific elements of that game that would be nice to have here, changing the entire vision of WvW is presumptuous and short-sighted. Furthermore – insulting everyone who disagrees with you indirectly by saying they haven’t got enough experience or thought-evolution to understand you is borderline narcissistic.

in WvW

dooger.2640

I’m not sure if any of you have ever been in a medieval battle but you aren’t usually on a first name basis with your opponent unless you are the king/lord/commander of one of the forces.

….

Nor do real people respawn after dying.. obviously this is a video game..

People who have less than 2-3 years world v world experience have a much different view of alot of this I realize, I know my views changed over the years.

I play a Support guardian, so yes I well know the value of my role, but I am clearly telling you alot of people are wanting to see more meaning information than the pve objective “score”.

in WvW

dooger.2640

So… long story short… keep in mind the vision of this game when you make suggestions. This isn’t DAoC, and while there may be specific elements of that game that would be nice to have here, changing the entire vision of WvW is presumptuous and short-sighted. Furthermore – insulting everyone who disagrees with you indirectly by saying they haven’t got enough experience or thought-evolution to understand you is borderline narcissistic.

You are not setting this vision, period. Its fine to have your view, but you are not stating your view, you are claiming to know the devs intentions and goals.

I clearly stated everyone’s including my own changes over time in world v world, and whats fun in it.

in WvW

Sky.9347

….

Nor do real people respawn after dying.. obviously this is a video game..

People who have less than 2-3 years world v world experience have a much different view of alot of this I realize, I know my views changed over the years.

I play a Support guardian, so yes I well know the value of my role, but I am clearly telling you alot of people are wanting to see more meaning information than the pve objective “score”.

Dooger,

Have you tried much sPvP or tPvP? I know it isn’t the “open-world” PvP you long for (I am inferring here, no offense meant), but it has a lot of the things you’re looking for. Individual and small group recognition, knowing your enemy, trash talking, etc.

I think after a year or so, once things calm down, there will be a much bigger place for small guild action in WvW. People will get to know your guild tag, and will see that there is always this 5-10 man team of [DAoC] or whatever your tag is that steam rolls them and always seems to be everywhere at once.

You’ve got to let off the insults though man, they don’t help your “reputation” which you claim means so very much to you.

in WvW

Posted by: tarnin.1690

tarnin.1690

Flamming
Trolling
Harassment

No, no, no, and… no. You WANT the trash talking. You want the trolling. You WANT all that. That is what creates a fun open PvP world. See, the “elites” dont trash talk bads, they are just bads. No reason to even mention them. You roll them, you move on. The trash talking happens to others of the same level. It makes some terrific rivalries. In DAoC and heck, even in WAR you had hatred for certain guilds. Fighting them was usually epic and it was great when you won and horrible when you lost, but it was still fun.

This faceless enemy is boring boring boring.

in WvW

Sky.9347

You are not setting this vision, period. Its fine to have your view, but you are not stating your view, you are claiming to know the devs intentions and goals.

I clearly stated everyone’s including my own changes over time in world v world, and whats fun in it.

No, I am not. But I do read, and I can understand the things I read.

http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-ferguson-on-guild-wars-2-world-vs-world

There are others, but that is the most official. Read that, and I think you will get a good idea of the vision.

What you stated was that everyone’s opinions over time will change to agree with yours. Anyone with 30 years experience in game development should know that this just isn’t true.

in WvW

Posted by: drnuncheon.8029

drnuncheon.8029

I don’t know where you’re playing that you feel a lack of community. Down in the middle tiers, our servers all seem to have it in spades. Maybe because we get a lot less of the bandwagon effect.

I’m glad we don’t have the same opponents all the time. That’d get boring. When the free transfers stop, I think things will be a lot steadier as servers settle into their niches, people begin to recognize opponents, etc. Even with the current chaos, though, we’ve heard about other servers and how they fight, we’ve heard of certain guilds, the players get together on the forums and reddit, etc, etc. So I don’t really buy the lack of community.

Rezzing doesn’t ruin a thing. It just means you have to adapt your tactics. (If you’re fighting a group with good tactics and coordination, trying to rez a defeated player is asking to wind up dead yourself.)

The only thing I mostly agree on is the player names, but I don’t think the average player should have them. I actually think that would be a great thing to be able to buy with Badges – it’d make a perfect vanity goal for a hardcore WvWer.

in WvW

dooger.2640

There are others, but that is the most official. Read that, and I think you will get a good idea of the vision.

What you stated was that everyone’s opinions over time will change to agree with yours. Anyone with 30 years experience in game development should know that this just isn’t true.

I read that 6 months ago too, it at no point states any of the things you claimed for Arena.Net in your above posts. (and no i did not say anything about 30 years in game development, funny when you mention understanding what you read in same post :P)

Its fine to have an opinion, but you are not speaking for Arena net.

in WvW

Inconceivable.7823

I really think it should be an accomplishment…after AN puts in a rank system hopefully. So you get through soldier, corporal, etc….then something like Pentultimate WvW’er which also then displays your name.

in WvW

Sky.9347

I read that 6 months ago too, it at no point states any of the things you claimed for Arena.Net in your above posts. (and no i did not say anything about 30 years in game development, funny when you mention understanding what you read in same post :P)

Its fine to have an opinion, but you are not speaking for Arena net.

Software development, same thing. ;-P

I’m not speaking for them, but it seems quite obvious to me that their goal is large group warfare over objectives.

I mean, just think about it. Everything they have said and done points to Objectives instead of Kills. For all the PvP in the game, even!

In any case, I think we’ve come as far as we can so I’ll let it go with this.

I like the idea of cosmetic rewards for individuals, but based on WvW Objectives instead of kills.
I like the downed state, and the way it changes combat from spiking opponents to controlling positions.
The orbs are far too effective in the current situation, and really do need to be part of whatever the first pass at WvW changes are. At least I would like to hear if ANet considers them a cause of problems or just a compounding factor.

in WvW

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

@ Asilion
“— If you want to have more of that “instant infamy” as soon as you steamroll someone, consider ditching your 10 man Abyss dyed CoF armor and go for distinct and crazy visual customizations. “WoW that purple-yellow-teal Power Ranger looking guy is unstoppable”

Problem there is that enemies can not see your dye color. If you are red team you show red, green team shows green, and blue team shows blue regardless of the dye color you pick. Only team mates can see your real colors but they see your name so it’s not an issue with them.

~Shadowkat

in WvW

Posted by: tarnin.1690

tarnin.1690

@ Asilion
“— If you want to have more of that “instant infamy” as soon as you steamroll someone, consider ditching your 10 man Abyss dyed CoF armor and go for distinct and crazy visual customizations. “WoW that purple-yellow-teal Power Ranger looking guy is unstoppable”

Problem there is that enemies can not see your dye color. If you are red team you show red, green team shows green, and blue team shows blue regardless of the dye color you pick. Only team mates can see your real colors but they see your name so it’s not an issue with them.

Yup, Im in orange/black for halloween (did this in every game that allows armor dyes) and its pointless in W3 because you end up in a generic color. Probably doing it so they dont have to send color information too but it just leads to more of the bland taste of W3.

in WvW

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

Too much zerg, not enough small group action.

WvW needs some serious redesign. Larger maps with more objectives spread out with plenty of open area would help. Give small groups a reason and place to exist.

As it stands now the only place for small groups to operate is in the north east portion of borderlands between the keep and supply camp. Occasional forays to the the other supply camps can happen but the zerg tends to be too close for small groups to be effective for long.

in WvW

Brunners.7251

PvP or Player vs Player is about the players.

And World vs World vs World is about…you guessed it, the world.

in WvW

Posted by: Thwomp.3912

Thwomp.3912

I would also love to see some incentive added in to the WvW realm. Not gear, but something along the lines of Realm Rank system we all came to love in DAoC.

I remember being able to search who had the most Realm Points in a session, and who also had the highest RP/death ratio. Gawd, those were the good times.

I 100% agree with brining death spam back, was a great way for groups to find other groups as it would give you who killed whom, and in what zone.

BG – Faboose – Ranger
BG – Thwompp – Elly
BG – Thwomp Jr – Warrior

in WvW

Inconceivable.7823

I don’t understand why people assume these have to be mutually exclusive concepts. Yes it IS about the world and keeping/capturing points. But to do that, you usually have to interact with and fight against players. So some people here are asking for that part to get some tweaks.

in WvW

Adaneshade.2409

DAoC is DAoC, GW2 is GW2, WoW is WoW, ect…

I don’t get why everyone is saying :

change xxx
_____game had it right
GW2 should change to how ________game was.

All the time. >_<
Like why play GW2 and then try to change the GW2 game into a game players have played in the past. I can understand valid concerns, however so many just want GW2 changed to what they are used to, and it’s getting a bit old at this point.

Go back and watch Dev interviews from pre-launch. Even they state that WvW is based on DAoC’s RvR system.

That system has been popular for over a decade now and for good reason. For the most part they succeeded in capturing the “essesnce” of RvR combat. These posts are simply from a players viewpoint on what made the RvR system fun.

They aren’t asking for “DAoC 2.0” there are plenty of differences that have been embraced, primarily the new “resource” dynamic. Also, I don’t see any ex-DAoC players complaining about the lack of buff bots or massive AOE CC. Ignoring other features that WERE greatly enjoyed just because “GW2 is GW2” would be a grave mistake.

The people posting these comments are speaking from experience and anyone fortunate enough to have played the games brought up will agree on the points made……if that many can agree then the idea must have some merit.

~Shadowkat

in WvW

Posted by: waeren.9743

waeren.9743

Well we are not exactly talking about “many”. DAoC subscription numbers weren’t exactly huge but the players just seem to be pretty vocal.

in WvW

Adaneshade.2409

Just look at the number of posts by former DAoC players….still claim that “many” is inaccurate? In any case, we are the only group of people with any experience in this PvP style (3-way large scale objective based PvP in a fantasy MMO setting); and having seen it evolve over the course of a decade. We know what works and what doesn’t.
With GW2 being based on that system, perhaps listen to people who know what they are talking about?

~Shadowkat

in WvW

Posted by: Ksielvin.1587

Ksielvin.1587

The only thing I mostly agree on is the player names, but I don’t think the average player should have them. I actually think that would be a great thing to be able to buy with Badges – it’d make a perfect vanity goal for a hardcore WvWer.

Interesting. I’d buy it. It ought to be possible to turn it off and on in case there’s any reason to regret afterwards.

in WvW

Posted by: Deep Star.6541

Deep Star.6541

I don’t understand why people assume these have to be mutually exclusive concepts. Yes it IS about the world and keeping/capturing points. But to do that, you usually have to interact with and fight against players. So some people here are asking for that part to get some tweaks.

Exactly. If you only focus on the “world” part of the game, or the “general score” part of the game people will mainly focus on only taking objectives having the fights as a secondary thing. It needs to be important to want to win on the fights and to not want to die. But not as someone mentioned earlier here with Damaz Kron (addon @ Warhammer) since this can bring another issue about “keeping my score” with people creating a whole generation of carebears and people who will rather crash their game then die (yes it happens every time).

The most important thing is to find a balance between focusing on the Player (seeing names, having ranks and so on) and the Objectives.

Well we are not exactly talking about “many”. DAoC subscription numbers weren’t exactly huge but the players just seem to be pretty vocal.

They are vocal because they want the game succeed. Its the kind of the player base that a company wants to please because they are hooked and will stay for a long time if the game is good. Although i’m not saying to do 100% as they want naturally.

My points to improve WvW:
1) Stop free transfers and/or make it limited to PvE/Dungeons only, or with a very big lockout on joining WvW after you transfer.
2) Fix scoring to reflect on actual fights/fights over objectives, make it reflect partially on kills and siege weapons destroyed. Example: if you’re only PvEing doors you don’t get as much reward as fighting for hours for the same objective against good/decent opposition. There is a whole bunch of suggestions on the stinky post
3) Make it that you can buy with badges + having a lot of WvW “accomplishments/kills” to be able to display your name for a certain period. Along with that add some sort of rank on the players or title just that its a little bit more “characteristic”.
4) Remove downed state from WvW (or at least fix it across the classes). I would like to see this off WvW for a certain reason → you can actually hit-and-run with a smaller group to reduce numbers of a big group of enemies. You will still be able to resurrect them after they’re dead, but it’ll take more time, as it is now. This will actually also spread more people over the map creating more fights and less choke points where everyone just zerg around (generating more lag etc…). And will give small guilds/groups more opportunities as well.

That’s it for now.

PS: Shout out to yall Warhammer baddies, much <3 from Sejanus/Dureal/Alatheus/Funkydelic.

Riviére, Select Start, Cmnd Ctrl, Uninteresting Event @ Three Steps Ahead [Oz]

in WvW

Brunners.7251

Showing player names just invites far to much opportunity for griefing and hurling abuse at other players.

Me and my guildies already fairly regularly get people whisping us telling us we suck cause we killed them and stuff like that, or whisping us when they kill us to tell them they’re the super best and we should l2p.

As it is these guys are dedicated to getting our names. Imagine how much worse it’d be if people have the free ability to hurl abuse at anyone whenever they want.

It’s already fairly easy to recognise guilds and build rivalries up over that. I already have an irrational hatred for thUn on Blacktide because of their ridiculously effective mesmer usage. I don’t need to know their player names. I hate them all universally.

in WvW

Posted by: kelman.9451

kelman.9451

Downed state would be better just left in PvE, it does hinder smaller groups. Orb bonus is wrong and needs to change as well as ending free transfers.
We don’t hear much from Anet on WvW, it needs some work very soon, but maybe they are so busy with stopping hackers, bots, and bugs they haven’t got the time for real changes yet.

in WvW

Posted by: waeren.9743

waeren.9743

To be honest it’s mainly the same people that post and I think it’s pretty easy to find the actual number of people that played DAoC (wich is really not considered “many” by today’s population standards).

I do agree that DAoC was the first game that had RvR which could be compared to this. It’s not the only game however that had sieging, open combat, …
Listening is always a good idea but I won’t necessarily agree. Considering the relatively small amount of people that played DAoC it might be best if GW2 does not copy everything.

Some suggestions are definitely good though.

My idea’s/opions:

• downed state, it’s a mechanic, not the best one but not that big of an issue
  • You can beat a zerg that has quite some bigger numbers if you have the right tactics
  • I’m not sure if we really need player names, guild tags/server names are there and it should provide enough info for rivalries. Problem currently is the amount of guild shifting that is going on to create decent rivalries.
  • Some more statistics would be great.
  • Bit more distance between objectives and more incentives to defend would be nice.
  • I don’t really agree with the buffs that the orbs give

(edited by waeren.9743)

in WvW

Adaneshade.2409

There were other games that did sieges, true. But none of them can claim the accolades or success of DAoC. No one who played DAoC will say that anyone else has done it better. You simply don’t get as much universal acknowledgement without doing things right.
They did make some mistakes which caused a sharp decline in subs, but I see no one asking for those mistakes to be repeated here.

~Shadowkat

in WvW

Posted by: Deep Star.6541

Deep Star.6541

Also forgot to add:

5) Switch Outmanned buff for the Orbs buff. Or re-balance them since they are a very big joke at the moment.

Riviére, Select Start, Cmnd Ctrl, Uninteresting Event @ Three Steps Ahead [Oz]

in WvW

Posted by: Dware.4259

Dware.4259

Actually DAOC’s 250k was huge back in the day.

Different era before wow.