why do we even have walls and gates?

in WvW

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

You cant even defend something..

If you try you have to stand on the edge of the wall to even hit someone, at that point you get bombed to dead.

Massive AOE on walls pretends you from even getting that close and when you stay too far you cant do any damage.

in WvW

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

Siege. good quick positioning, and time for reinforcements to arrive.

in WvW

Posted by: Dabrixmgp.4758

Dabrixmgp.4758

If you cant defend you are doing it wrong. Siege is stupid OP and is ruining the game especially in t1 where even with three times your numbers cowards will just sit in towers refusing to come out and fight. I guess it must take ridiculous amounts of skill to hide behind a dozen arrow carts. Cant wait till season starts so people actually have to fight.

in WvW

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Because then people would just walk in and solo keeps constantly. If you try defending 5v15+ with no siege already set up its gonna be rough

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

in WvW

Posted by: Terravos.4059

Terravos.4059

Defending in this game is pointless unless you outnumber the people outside, In which case you’ll win the fight.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Xsorus – Ranger PvP movies Creator of the BM Bunker

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

Once trebs behind gates gets nerfed (supposedly it’s coming), defending will become pointless.

in WvW

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Defending in this game is pointless unless you outnumber the people outside, In which case you’ll win the fight.

Depends. I’ve seen 60+ man zergs pack up an go home because a 5 man team on well placed sup carts kept them from placing rams or cats.

Not sure if that’s balanced or not, but it usually comes down to “Is the tower scouted and does it have sufficient and well placed counter-siege?” more than “Do we have the numbers to PVD this gate?”

I suppose open field trebs always work if you hilariously outnumber the opponent but everyone always seems too impatient or lazy to even try it.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Problem with defending is, you need to counter-siege (pre-build) against all possible angles.

But the attacks just need to find one poor/undefended angle and triple-Cata/Ram that to get in.
The investment to attack is far less then the investment to defend. And even if you build solid counter-siege all across the wall, the enemy builds a Treb. And then you pretty much need a bigger zerg to attack their zerg and take out their Treb.

But if you have a bigger zerg that can wipe their zerg, whats the point of sitting in a keep/tower building siege?

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Reading trough these topics all i can think about is:

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in WvW

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

And even if you build solid counter-siege all across the wall, the enemy builds a Treb. And then you pretty much need a bigger zerg to attack their zerg and take out their Treb.

Or you could countertreb, maybe? Besides, the larger investment of resources from defenders as opposed to attackers is balanced by the time you have to set it up: you’re not on the clock, building while watching your back for enemies: you’re safe behind your walls and more often than not have ready supply a few feet away, while the attacking zerg needs to bring its own, limited supply. Furthermore, the siege you put up to defend a tower stays there (unless, of course, the tower is taken/siege destroyed/siege expires due to noobiness) for future battles; the attackers’ siege is one-time use in 99.99% of the cases.

(edited by SkyFallsInThunder.8257)

in WvW

Posted by: Rhalas.4167

Rhalas.4167

I wish their was a trait, in the Wxp lines, that would maybe increase the range of your skills while in towers or keeps. Say by 200 or 300 so that you dont have to stand on the edge to bomb the assaulters.
Granted that would prolly be OP with sup AC being what they are and all but with Omega rush the defenders do need a certain advantage imho.

[WAR]- HOD
Lord Rhalas: Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Attacking has most of the advantage in this game so siege and fortification is really just a speed bump to give defenders a chance to rally the forces. Unfortunately in most matchups one side simply doesn’t have the numbers to rally so they get papered.

Depends. I’ve seen 60+ man zergs pack up an go home because a 5 man team on well placed sup carts kept them from placing rams or cats.

In every instance of this I have seen it is because there was an easier target to take elsewhere. Had the zerg not been impatient they could likely have setup trebs that could not be countered and brought down the walls the slow way.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Dabrixmgp.4758

Dabrixmgp.4758

Attacking has most of the advantage in this game so siege and fortification is really just a speed bump to give defenders a chance to rally the forces. Unfortunately in most matchups one side simply doesn’t have the numbers to rally so they get papered.

In every instance of this I have seen it is because there was an easier target to take elsewhere. Had the zerg not been impatient they could likely have setup trebs that could not be countered and brought down the walls the slow way.

Arent there always people trebbing everything? We have people who’s only job is to treb from towers, refresh all the siege, and alert the zerg to incoming. Not hard to find someone with RL stuff to do to watch a tower and treb whila being half AFK or watching a movie.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Arent there always people trebbing everything? We have people who’s only job is to treb from towers, refresh all the siege, and alert the zerg to incoming. Not hard to find someone with RL stuff to do to watch a tower and treb whila being half AFK or watching a movie.

I think that greatly depends on what tier you are in. Finding players to refresh siege and watch towers in lower tiers is rare. Even so when a large omega golem rush hits, 5 players isn’t going to stop 50 even with great siege placement. Best they can do is hold off until they can muster a larger defense force.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Yeah, walls being more of a death-trap than an actual aid while defending is problematic. I don’t think it was ever intended this way. It’s just a side-effect of how the ground-targeting works.

It’s really annoying because it forces you to place siege in very particular places to avoid the AoE, often limiting what they can shoot at. It’s all a bit contrived and non-intuitive.

It would be nice if attacking from above actually gave you a real, tangible advantage rather than being a great way to get killed.

But that would probably require reworking the aiming mechanics in a pretty fundamental way.