The first episode of Living World Season 3, Out of the Shadows, is now available for those who have purchased Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns ™. Please review our FAQ for details on how to unlock episodes for free.
Out of the Shadows
Following the death of Mordremoth, Tyria finds itself in a never-before-seen heightened state of excess magic. This bounty of power causes an old nemesis to resurface, with a devastating result. Can the heroes stem the enemy’s tide, or will Tyria be consumed by this returned threat?
New Fractal – Chaos Isles
Dessa’s krewe isn’t sure if this is cataclysmic or some sort of cycle, but it’s super exciting! A new fractal of particularly unique readings has appeared, and the krewe has selected you and your allies as the “explorers” who get to venture into this strange new place.
Like Cliffside, both the Swampland and Snowblind fractals have been revamped to improve pacing, scaling, and overall enjoyment.
Swampland was not a particularly long or arduous fractal, but the boss fights were lackluster, and in Bloomhunger’s case, far too easy. The change to this fractal was centered around turning Swampland into a proper boss fractal.
- There is now only a single path, rather than both a Mossman and Bloomhunger path, and players will fight both the Mossman and Bloomhunger in a single run.
- Invigorator Rifle Prototypes can now be found in the swamp and can be used to aid in the intro wisp event.
- The underwater portion of the fractal has been removed and replaced by an encounter.
- Bloomhunger is now very angry. His encounter has been fully redesigned with new scaling attacks and mechanics.
- Bloomhunger’s health has been greatly reduced.
- Mossman’s health has been massively reduced.
- Mossman’s hut can be reached after completing the fractal by taking a tunnel in Bloomhunger’s clearing.
- Boss chest rewards have been increased.
- Changed the cleft markers in the “Return the wisps to the clefts” event.
- Audio has been improved.
In the Snowblind fractal, there were several pain points that we wanted to address. The intro event was quite simple and boring, the Elemental Source event was frustrating due to a huge health pool and the sheer number of knockbacks, and the final boss fight was tedious yet easy.
- Less running is now required to reach the first event.
- The bonfire event now requires players to add fuel to the fire and defend it from ice elementals.
- The torch bundle has been replaced by a special action skill.
- Repeatedly using the torch skill on the bonfire will no longer accelerate the melting of the ice wall.
- The Elemental Source event has had its mechanics and attacks changed. Keeping fires fueled and lit is now a vital part of defeating it.
- The health scaling of the Elemental Source has been massively reduced.
- More light sources have been added to the dark forest run.
- The boss fight with the Svanir Shaman has been reworked to have better attacks, mechanics, and pacing, and it now provides a greater challenge.
- The Svanir Shaman’s health has been greatly reduced.
- The Svanir Shaman now has less repetitive dialog.
- Area-of-effect markers have been improved to be more visible.
- Ambient audio has been improved in the ice cave at the end of the fractal.
- The Elemental Source is now immune to blind.
Fractal Improvements and Bug Fixes
- Added missing player text in the dialog with Frizz.
- Increased the damage that cages apply to the Jellyfish Beast and its minions.
- The cages now apply vulnerability and stun to the Jellyfish Beast and its minions and will break its defiance bar.
- Standardized the health and attributes of the dolphin transform.
- Removed the old defiance bar from Jellyfish Beast.
- Improved damage scaling for Archdiviner’s conic attack.
- Heavily reduced damage for Archdiviner’s Cursed Grasp attack and added scaling to the pull component of the attack.
- Fixed a bug that allowed the flame gadgets to be attacked at the “Break the chest seal” event.
- The fractal now completes faster after defeating the Archdiviner.
- Chronicle Mistwalker and the agony tester will now properly appear as the fractal scale changes from the Scale Setting Sequencer.
- Chronicle Mistwalker now has a new icon.
- Removed the Fractal Scale Researcher from Mistlock Observatory. This functionality has been replaced by the Map Selection panel.
- Added an INFUZ-5959 infusion vendor.
- Added dialogue for Dessa.
- The bosses now spawn in locations corresponding with the cinematic.
- The “Explore the caverns with Rox and Braham” event should now progress more swiftly, with much less time spent waiting on the drill in the tunnel.
- The falling rocks in the tunnel will now only fall a few times before stopping.
- Added a checkpoint at the end of the tunnel.
- Rox and Braham will move faster at the overlook, allowing them to reach the boss room faster.
- Improved scripts for Rox and Braham to reduce the possibility of stalls.
- The final boss chest can now only be looted after defeating the boss.
- Players who stand on top of the thermal core will be burned by the intense heat.
- Added a missing line of Dessa’s dialogue to the start of the fractal.
- The thermal core can no longer be damaged while it is inactive.
- Added an area-of-effect circle to the Jade Maw Tentacles’ Swoop skill attacks.
- Added 5 more safety shields to the repulsor lab and made the shields reappear when parties are defeated.
- Reduced the health of Subject 6 by half.
- Added an area-of-effect circle to Subject 6’s Bounce skill attack and increased its radius.
- Subject 6’s bounce attack now appears in the combat log.
- Slightly increased the damage and condition damage of all of Subject 6’s attacks.
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to lose their Inquest transform.
- Removed a duplicate line of Dessa’s dialogue in the Thaumanova Anomaly fight.
- The detonator can now be pressed much earlier in Dessa’s dialogue at the beginning of the fractal.
- A checkpoint is now set in the final safe room after defeating the boss in case anyone is left behind.
- Both bosses in this fractal now utilize a fixation mechanic to allow better control.
- Both bosses will ignore pets, minions, and illusions with most attacks.
- Fixed a bug that allowed the Stealth Bombers achievement to be completed prematurely.
- Checkpoints have been added before the final courtyard event.
- The molten boulders will now crush fleeing grawl.
- Added a checkpoint before the Legendary Imbued Shaman.
- Added area-of-effect indicators and made improvements to the falling rocks.
- Updated the Grawl Shaman’s Churning Earth attack and the Fleshreaver’s Wing Buffet attack to use updated area-of-effect indicators.
General Fractal Changes
- Adjusted the daily fractal rotation to include the Chaos fractal.
Anguished Tears of Alba
The Anguished Tears of Alba was a potion that applied 10 nonstacking agony resistance for a short time. It was not a particularly useful potion, as it required a mastery and did not stack. Now it no longer requires a mastery and will stack with all other sources of agony resistance.
- The Anguished Tears of Alba potions have been moved to the vendor Dessa’s Alchemist instead of the mastery vendor in Mistlock Observatory.
- The agony resistance from the Anguished Tears of Alba now stacks with all other sources of agony resistance. For example, a player with 130 AR will have 140 AR after consuming the potion.
- The duration has been increased to 1 hour.
- The potion is highly discounted per account but will increase in price as you buy more until it is no longer discounted.
- If players have the Follows Advice Mastery in the Fractal Attunement line, agony resistance is increased by 15 instead of 10.
- The Anguished Tears of Alba now has a unique blue icon.
Ascended Salvage Kit (5)
- Players can now purchase the Ascended Salvage Kit from BUY-4373 in Mistlock Observatory.
- BUY-4373 can now combine 5 Ascended Salvage Tools into an Ascended Salvage Kit.
- The Ascended Salvage Kit has been added to the expert- and master-tier daily achievement chest loot tables.
- Yakkington’s Ring, Snaff’s Gyre, Marriner’s Compass, and Circle of Light can now be attuned.
Fractal Selection UI
The fractal selection UI for the Fractals of the Mists has been overhauled to be more informative and user friendly.
- The UI now has a new style and increased size.
- Added tabs for navigating between the four difficulty tiers.
- Mistlock instabilities are now shown for each fractal.
- Added text descriptions to each fractal.
- Added indicators for daily fractals.
- Added color-coded text to indicate relative agony danger based on character agony resistance.
- Added the ability to choose a random fractal in a tier.
- Added text to indicate daily achievement fractals.
INFUSIONS AND INFUSION SLOTS
With the Infusion system being unnecessarily complex for what it does, we’ve taken steps to simplify how infusions work and make acquiring them far more straightforward.
First off, we removed most of the restrictions on which kind of infusion you can place into each kind of equipment. For balance reasons, we had to keep utility infusions and amulets separate, but all other types of infusions can now be slotted into any kind of ascended equipment.
- Infusion subtypes have been removed.
- Offensive, defensive, and agony infusions are now simply known as infusions, and any infusion can be slotted into any infusion slot.
- Utility infusions have been renamed enrichments in order to make them distinct from the other infusions.
- All ascended amulets now have a single enrichment slot.
- All other pieces of ascended equipment now have a number of infusion slots equal to the combined total of offensive, defensive, and agony slots they had previously.
Next, we wanted to make it less of a hassle to acquire the various kinds of infusions you need to play higher-level fractals.
- A new vendor, INFUZ-5959, has been added to the Mistlock Observatory.
- You can purchase +3, +5, +7, +9, and +11 agony infusions from INFUZ-5959 directly without the need to use artificing to craft each intermediate stage of infusion.
- INFUZ-5959 can break some higher-level agony infusions down into their component infusions.
- INFUZ-5959 also sells new infusions that grant both +5 to a single attribute and +5, +7, or +9 agony resistance.
- If you have the Follows Advice Mastery, INFUZ-5959 will sell you Vials, Globs, and Shards of Condensed Mist Essence, as well as Agonized Essences and Infusion Extraction Devices.
Finally, after making these changes to the Infusion system, we had some loose ends that needed to be tied up.
- With better attribute and agony infusions now available, we’re automatically upgrading any existing infusions that you may have obtained from the Mystic Forge.
- If you currently possess any fine-quality attribute infusions, they have been upgraded to a +5 attribute, +7 agony resistance infusion.
- If you currently possess any versatile attribute infusions, they have been upgraded to a +5 attribute, +9 agony resistance infusion.
- The Mystic Forge recipes for these items have been disabled.
- With the ability to slot +X agony infusions into any infusion slot, the +3, +5, and +7 simple infusions are now obsolete.
- Currently existing simple infusions will continue to function but cannot be upgraded.
- Once you have extracted your simple infusions using an Infusion Extraction Device, you can bring them to INFUZ-5959 for recycling and a Fractal Relic refund.
- Ghostly infusions and Moto’s Unstable Bauble Infusions now grant +9 agony resistance instead of +5.
- Nonutility infusions that were slotted into amulets will be refunded via in-game mail.
- Added a new chat command to assist squads in conceding defeat faster. The command instantly applies your currently equipped finisher to yourself. It can only be used in raids.
- English: /surrender /concede /forfeit /resign
- Spanish: /rendirse /renunciar /capitular
- German: /kapitulieren /resignieren /ergeben /aufgeben
- French: /capituler /abandonner /renoncer /concéder
- The “Protect the caged prisoners” event in Salvation Pass will now unlock the Forsaken Thicket Mastery track.
- The “Siege the Stronghold” event in Stronghold of the Faithful will now unlock the Forsaken Thicket Mastery track.
- The leatherworker Hamil in Lion’s Arch now properly gives guidance on upgrading Prototype Envoy armor.
Stronghold of the Faithful
- Xera Encounter
- Fixed an issue that prevented Charged Bloodstones from acquiring conditions correctly.
- Fixed an issue in which the island plates would not trigger if a player was standing on them before they activated.
- Removed erroneous collision from Xera’s towers that could cause players to get stuck if they jumped into the towers at the right time.
- Keep Construct Encounter
- Fixed a server crash.
- Fixed a rare bug in which the orb-blocking phase was negated entirely.
- Added Mastery points to Stronghold of the Faithful achievements.
- The Itzel Spirit Poison effect is no longer removed when players are downed or defeated.
- Increased the drop rate of Bloodstone-Infused Ectoplasm.
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra
(edited by Regina Buenaobra.6193)