RNG chest items are not fun

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: EricGORE.7896

EricGORE.7896

RNG chest items are not fun…

Absurdly grindy craftable items aren’t really fun either…

I mean seriously, this game is becoming a grindy, time-gated mess. These events become more and more tiresome to me. Why are you so afraid of rewarding a wide range of players? Why aren’t there more ways to get these skins? Why do you feel the need to make them super rare and exclusive?

Look, I get it, I get having some exclusive and really hard to obtain items, but there seem to be no balance for people who actually want to have fun playing this game and not spend ridiculous amounts of time to feel rewarded participating in this event.

For instance, the Clocktower, arguably one of the hardest JPs in the game, while not loved by every one, it should be a one of a few different ways of being rewarded with a Halloween weapon skin of choice (at least the first time around). Finishing the meta achievements? Skin. Finishing the storyline? Skin. Spread these rewards out and stop being so stingy with them, it’s not fun, it’s stressful.

What would be bad about making a wider array of skins that are fairly attainable? Something we can constantly be working towards during the event. Then the minis and the back piece skins can be the super rare and exclusive items. If that’s not enough, you could even make new types of subtle reward of the RNG and grindy kind.

How about a one time use Halloween weapon effect that you can apply to items? Like the weapon effect on the Chiroptophobia that you can apply to any weapon. Or some super exclusive foot drops that you can apply to any boots.

This spreads the love out a lot more, it makes desirable and fun skins more attainable, thus making the event feel unique and reward, while keeping rare and exclusive, but more subtle rewards there too.

Do I make you Norny, baby?

in Blood and Madness

EricGORE.7896

TL;DR? What happened to fun > grind being the driving force of content in this game?

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

Not to sound rude but exclusive stuff just plays with peoples pride. I get what * I * whether it is rare or very common. I like some very common stuff because it fits in the place I need it too. not because of how easy or hard it is to get. Honestly, the common stuff is * rarer * because you almost never see it verse everyone else running about with SWORD WITH BIG GAPING MAWS OF FLAMING CHAOS graphic on it.

That is why I shake my fist at anet for STILL not fixing the Country Set Chest graphic bug because I actually would like to use it but since no one cares about that set it will probably never be fixed. They’ve had a year and still nothing even touched with it :/

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Oremir.8027

Oremir.8027

Anet saw how much money they could make of RNG and decided to throw most of their previous phillosephies out of the window?

Remember the whole ; a player wont have to grind to get the max gear available, oh by the way, we’re introducing a new quallity that’ll be the new max gear, you’ll only have to spend an absolute age trying to get it.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Nightingale.9714

Nightingale.9714

Clearly the OP is making a balanced argument on this. He’s admitted that it shouldnt be too easy and offered some extra solutions. That said, I dont see why you other two cant give him even the slightest bit of support. Anyone who cant see how ridiculously grindy this halloween has become is kidding themselves. And frankly I dont think the justification of “anet saw money potential so theyre doing it this way now” is worth more than what my dog drops on the lawn. A pretty fair amount of people are frustrated and confused by how theyve chosen to do this, and those people deserve to be heard. I mean I dont even think the skins are that great, combined with the cost there really isnt any point for most players to try.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

They aren’t fun, but they are profitable. The monetisation team doesn’t care about fun, just profit.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I get the impression that the current ANet aren’t the ones who contributed to making the game and are like a bunch of kids who have found their dads gun. Then charge other kids to hold it.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Lodovicus.1562

Lodovicus.1562

As others have pointed out, placing the weapons inside the RNG chests is a way for Anet to make profit.

Is it annoying? Sure, I like the look of some of the new Halloween skins so they’d be nice to have, but they are not items that I need to progress in the game and I won’t lose sleep over other people getting them and me going without.

If people are prepared to spend real life cash trying to get hold of these cosmetic skins then I say fair play to them, and even thank them. It is their money that is going towards the development of the game and the release of content that I can enjoy for free.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Mega Messiah.1734

Mega Messiah.1734

RNG chest items are not fun…

Absurdly grindy craftable items aren’t really fun either…

I mean seriously, this game is becoming a grindy, time-gated mess. These events become more and more tiresome to me. Why are you so afraid of rewarding a wide range of players? Why aren’t there more ways to get these skins? Why do you feel the need to make them super rare and exclusive?

Look, I get it, I get having some exclusive and really hard to obtain items, but there seem to be no balance for people who actually want to have fun playing this game and not spend ridiculous amounts of time to feel rewarded participating in this event.

For instance, the Clocktower, arguably one of the hardest JPs in the game, while not loved by every one, it should be a one of a few different ways of being rewarded with a Halloween weapon skin of choice (at least the first time around). Finishing the meta achievements? Skin. Finishing the storyline? Skin. Spread these rewards out and stop being so stingy with them, it’s not fun, it’s stressful.

What would be bad about making a wider array of skins that are fairly attainable? Something we can constantly be working towards during the event. Then the minis and the back piece skins can be the super rare and exclusive items. If that’s not enough, you could even make new types of subtle reward of the RNG and grindy kind.

How about a one time use Halloween weapon effect that you can apply to items? Like the weapon effect on the Chiroptophobia that you can apply to any weapon. Or some super exclusive foot drops that you can apply to any boots.

This spreads the love out a lot more, it makes desirable and fun skins more attainable, thus making the event feel unique and reward, while keeping rare and exclusive, but more subtle rewards there too.

While I think they should reward players with some form of weapon skin for completing some of the more difficult achievements, I absolutely hate the idea of the mini pets being the thing that suddenly gets shafted and becomes incredibly rare to get.

It costs ~65g to buy Chriptophobia, a greatsword that will drop in price as people spam tickets to try and get it, and end up selling the excess for bonus money. Seriously, it’ll end up at about 30-45g to buy by the end of the event, but if they suddenly make minis rarer than hell, we end up with 200g Karka pets.

If you don’t want to use the RNG Chests then just farm the money you need to buy the weapon skin. Honestly, unless it’s one of the older skins, like the Infused ones from Flame and Frost or the old Halloween and Christmas ones, before the idea of a ticket was implemented, most of these skins sell for pretty reasonable prices.

They also have to make money somehow. You don’t offer any reasonable alternative for them to monetize. I’m sorry to say but they have to pay the bills. They need to tie something to the updates to sell, that’s how they make their money; that’s what keeps the game afloat.

The idea of footfalls or a skin of one of the BL Ticket skins is fine but you have to offer the alternative, while still having the rare drops. Right now, as it stands, the weapons are what’s monetized (and for good reason – people love a shiny new weapon for 2 weeks until the next one), the pets are the fodder because a handful of people collect them, and then we have the ultra rare lucky stuff, like the Endless Halloween Tonic.

While I wouldn’t mind them giving you guys ONE of the skins per account or something, in all honesty they could be monetizing this so much harder than they are. For content every 2 weeks, I’ll take some gaudy, soon-to-be-seasonally-irrelevant skins being hidden behind a paywall (which can be bypassed with gold, nonetheless) over them charging other things.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

If they want to monetize the solution for them is easy – but they won’t do it as far as I’ve seen.
You know what it is ? MORE armor sets. Yes – you heard me – the game could use more armor sets.
They’re cooler than weapons and they can cost more.

GW1 had an amazing number of armor sets that could be easily brought over with little effort and they would sell like crazy.
I would spend thousands of gems on those – because that’s what I want. I’m not the only player who wants this – but for some odd reason they have ignored EVERY post on the forums asking for GW1 skins and have given us trash aetherblade skins instead.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

snip

Clearly you didn’t realize that there are other options. If you don’t like RNG Chests to get an optional item that only offers cosmetic differences, you can always buy one from the Trading Post. Then, you get your item, and I get my Gold. Everyone is happy!

And one more thing. The reason why you want it so bad is because it’s rare and exclusive. If everyone were able to get something, it would be as desirable as when it were only RNG or high priced. Rarity is one of the factors that drives demand.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

you do know that the BL tickets and scraps are way less RNG than the old halloween chests right?
if you buy 10 keys and open 10 chests you are bound to get at least a couple scraps and maybe a ticket, thats a skin of your choice.
buy 10 of the old chests and your not bound to get a skin, let alone the one you want and you’ll get a bunch of worthless junk in return.
its less grindy and you won’t have to spend as much.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Stop playing if you’re no longer enjoying the game. When they see a drop in activity I’m sure they’ll be more receptive to changing their ways. Until that they will continue doing what they do.

in Blood and Madness

EricGORE.7896

snip

Clearly you didn’t realize that there are other options. If you don’t like RNG Chests to get an optional item that only offers cosmetic differences, you can always buy one from the Trading Post. Then, you get your item, and I get my Gold. Everyone is happy!

And one more thing. The reason why you want it so bad is because it’s rare and exclusive. If everyone were able to get something, it would be as desirable as when it were only RNG or high priced. Rarity is one of the factors that drives demand.

This is my favorite argument, pointing out that they’re just optional cosmetic items. I realize what they are, most items in this game are meant to be cosmetic once you level cap, maybe less now with Ascended, but the stat difference is pretty slight. The point is, throwing a couple weapon skins in a highly anticipated event that people are excited for and making them daunting to obtain is not really all that fun. It kind of killed some of my excitement for this event, among other things.

And your last point about only wanting these skins because they are rare proves to me that you didn’t read my entire post (which is fair, it was kind of long). My suggestions was to spread out the rewards better, and to make the rewards worth the time spent during the event. A suggestion I made was more skins, ideally a skin for every weapon, that are more easily attainable. I’m not talking roll your face across the keyboard easy, but right now it’s just too much. On top of that, I suggested keeping the super rare items as well, but focus them towards the more subtle or playful items exclusively like back slots, minis, town clothes, and maybe some new kind of items.

So, again, what I’m suggesting is the exact opposite of your kind presumptuous point. I don’t care if every person in the game has 50 of every single skin, if I like the skin, then I will find enjoyment in getting and using them. If I complete the clock tower, why shouldn’t I get a cool Halloween skin? Why shouldn’t they throw some weapon skins on the Halloween meta achievements similar to the Zenith skins? I mean would you really be opposed to more rewards that are spread out across the event?

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: TheLaughingMan.4320

TheLaughingMan.4320

The person who from now on shall not be named runs the show at anet now. Do not support this strategy, do not buy gems.

I used to see new skins (most of which are terribad) and want them, now I just ignore and have the mindset that I don’t care if I get them. Unless there is a stat bonus associated with it, it doesn’t affect the only fun part of this game now, WvW, just ignore it.

By the way, you can tell how the player reception is to RNG by the fact that anet had to make a big front page forum news post about people rightfully complaining about the yoke a certain staff member has over “monetization” now. Hilarious.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

This is my favorite argument, pointing out that they’re just optional cosmetic items. I realize what they are, most items in this game are meant to be cosmetic once you level cap, maybe less now with Ascended, but the stat difference is pretty slight. The point is, throwing a couple weapon skins in a highly anticipated event that people are excited for and making them daunting to obtain is not really all that fun. It kind of killed some of my excitement for this event, among other things.

And your last point about only wanting these skins because they are rare proves to me that you didn’t read my entire post (which is fair, it was kind of long). My suggestions was to spread out the rewards better, and to make the rewards worth the time spent during the event. A suggestion I made was more skins, ideally a skin for every weapon, that are more easily attainable. I’m not talking roll your face across the keyboard easy, but right now it’s just too much. On top of that, I suggested keeping the super rare items as well, but focus them towards the more subtle or playful items exclusively like back slots, minis, town clothes, and maybe some new kind of items.

So, again, what I’m suggesting is the exact opposite of your kind presumptuous point. I don’t care if every person in the game has 50 of every single skin, if I like the skin, then I will find enjoyment in getting and using them. If I complete the clock tower, why shouldn’t I get a cool Halloween skin? Why shouldn’t they throw some weapon skins on the Halloween meta achievements similar to the Zenith skins? I mean would you really be opposed to more rewards that are spread out across the event?

Ok, allow me to counter your post in a few points:

1) You want skins to be more easily available. Fair enough. That’s your personal feelings on that matter. However, due to the fact that some of these skins are exclusive, Anet will never make “easy mode” to get them. Why? Once you allow a majority of the population to obtain said item, they’re no longer exclusive. Why do you think there’s not thousands of listings for the new themed weapon skins on the TP? They’re hard to get, thus they’ll cost more to buy off of other players.

2) As I said, if you REALLY want one of the new skins, buy it outright from the Trading Post. You just need to pay what I feel it’s worth. If you won’t pay my price, feel free to post a Buy Offer at a lower rate, and hope it get’s filled.

3) Zenith skins were made to appease the players who wanted fancy skins for free. Note that because they are so common, no one cares about them as much as, say, the Bat Greatsword skin.

4) You may not care if everyone has 50 of each skin. I do. I don’t want my rare and exclusive skin to be shared by everyone. It ruins the item’s “awe factor”, and doesn’t make me as much money when I sell them. The fact that you want the skin so bad proves that it’s desirable, thus justifies the prices that I ask for on the TP.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

You know clocktower takes like 10 tries at most. Its not the hardest JP in the game for sure.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Kagato.4061

Kagato.4061

You know clocktower takes like 10 tries at most. Its not the hardest JP in the game for sure.

I’m genuinely curious, what would you consider to be the hardest JP in the game?

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

When will people like OP learn? Maybe they’re doing it because it’s, oh, I don’t know – making them the most money?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: CalvinHobbes.3541

CalvinHobbes.3541

3) Zenith skins were made to appease the players who wanted fancy skins for free. Note that because they are so common, no one cares about them as much as, say, the Bat Greatsword skin.

The Zenith skins were never fancy. Their lack of rarity is not why few people care about them. Yes, they were most likely implemented to attempt to appease the players you refer to. But appeasing those people by giving them something unappealing was never going to work.

4) You may not care if everyone has 50 of each skin. I do. I don’t want my rare and exclusive skin to be shared by everyone. It ruins the item’s “awe factor”, and doesn’t make me as much money when I sell them. The fact that you want the skin so bad proves that it’s desirable, thus justifies the prices that I ask for on the TP.

This game isn’t about you or anyone else making as much gold as they possibly can.

“It’s a magical world, Hobbes, ol’ buddy… Let’s go exploring!”

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

I used to be angry at RNG when they were account-bound.

That is no longer the case. No reason to be angry at RNG at all now. If you’re still angry, you’re angry at other, non-RNG reasons.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I’m genuinely curious, what would you consider to be the hardest JP in the game?

I find the aetherblade JP pretty tough, especially if you want to get all the way up to the diving goggles. Its long and every fails kills you and you have to restart.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.