Disappointed in Clock Tower Changes

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: coffeeisyum.5297

coffeeisyum.5297

Can you please tell me what the point in buying town clothes is? I bought the Mad King costume, Witch’s costume, and the Christmas dress costume last year for my character and the ONLY place I had to show them off was in the pre-jumping puzzle area while we waited. All these costumes have been sitting around waiting to be worn again, and they’ll continue to sit in my bank apparently. No one will be dressed up, no one will be playing with Boxes o’Fun, we’ll just all stand around waiting to do the jumping puzzle in our boring PVP armor.

I know complaints spread like wildfire about the difficulty of the jumping puzzle last year, but to make it a PVP instance where we all wear the same boring armor and are wisps while playing sort of takes away the community fun we had last year. Why not make an easier instance for some people with the wisps?

The wisps aren’t even really the problem, but making it a PVP instance so we can’t join with FRIENDS? Why would you do this? What point is there? For a game that caters playing with others and for a game that lets you practically create your armor however you want—these things are both stripped in the puzzle.

I spent hours and days just doing the jumping puzzle with my BF because we thought it was fun and challenging to do together. But now I won’t even be touching it.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: andyhens.4172

andyhens.4172

Wear your town clothes in town, thats what I do.

Not everyone wears the same armor. Just the people who’ve never touched pvp.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: SoulCrystal.2186

SoulCrystal.2186

After Southsun Survival with the wisps, it was most likely the easiest solution to resolve the core issues with the clocktower from last year, that Charr and Norn characters were being verbally abused for being too large and smaller characters were having a more difficult time being able to visualize their jumps in the crowd. Both problems were unfair. Sticking it into a PVP zone has been a pretty good solution to fix those core problems, but sadly it did introduce a number of other issues with the social aspect of it as many have said.

The only other way I can think of that they could have resolved the issue is to make it a story instance to allow for competition and socialization between friends and leaving it up to those players to decide what races they ran it with. It may have meant more development, and perhaps more server load for many instances of up to five players each, but I think it would have been the better solution in the long run. Maybe next year!

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Ace.1726

Ace.1726

I absolutely agree. The Clocktower is plain now.

The Clocktower was much better, people weren’t stupid wisps, there were more people and your friends could join you. It was hilarious to watch people fall and there was a sense of community. Arenanet took a massive step back.

I feel sorry for people who never got to experience the original Clocktower in its chaos, it’s sterile now.

Arenanet also listen to the wrong people and make changes that aren’t necessary, I really hope next year it is reverted to it’s original form.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

it’s funny, the last time I remember people complained about how unfair the clocktower was because huge Norn and Charr griefed the run and made it unplayable for everyone.

Imho the changes are awesome, you still see the progress of the enemies but no one can grief your experience anymore.

What I’d suggest though: make town clothes useable in non-sPvP PvP maps (aka Minigame areas).

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

(edited by Marcus Greythorne.6843)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Hell Nirvana.9045

Hell Nirvana.9045

The whole social aspect of the tower’s lobby (and the whole puzzle to be honest) is completely gone thanks to the locked gear, no social items allowed, no parties, scoring and the time limit. These things together have made the clock tower a rather boring experience.
The wisp deal is the only thing i’m ok with.

This comes from someone who spent countless hours in this activity during the last Halloween.

(edited by Hell Nirvana.9045)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Part of the power lockdown is the fact that last year I know I saw some Sylvari Druids on the clocktower – and if you thought the Norn were bad…

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

As soon as they allow town clothes to be worn in combat, you’ll see a lot more people wearing costumes on Halloween. This is simply a design over sight. They figured with the addition of town clothes, people would switch to their town clothes when in a town or outpost. But they don’t. People just wear their regular armor most of the time. They simply need to change that.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

As soon as they allow town clothes to be worn in combat, you’ll see a lot more people wearing costumes on Halloween. This is simply a design over sight. They figured with the addition of town clothes, people would switch to their town clothes when in a town or outpost. But they don’t. People just wear their regular armor most of the time. They simply need to change that.

The problem with that logic is that town clothes have been in game since launch, but the only new town clothes they’ve added have been a few minor options in the gem stores, along with a few Holiday sets.

They’ve yet to add enough town clothes for people to be visually different from each other, so no one wants to use them.

That said, they should also add a toggle when entering a town that automatically switches you to town clothes. Make it so you can choose to be in your armor or not, without constantly having to swap manually.