So Being 1-Shot is meant to be a Challenge?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: dodgycookies.4562

dodgycookies.4562

Reminds me on Mimiron in WoW. Everything he did 1 shotted you lol but it was an awesome fight regardless and he like 10 different ways to 1 shot you along with 4 phases of one shot. X D

PRESS THE BIG RED BUTTON

Firefighter FTW. Still one of my favorite encounters in any game.

[ICoa] Blackgate

(edited by dodgycookies.4562)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

There are no one shot attacks in the gauntlet that a) do not have tells, and b) can’t be dodged. If you can see it, and you can dodge it, I’m really sure you can call it unfair.

I have yet to notice a tell on the AoE death from the bubble Guardian chick. As far as I can tell, she simply stops attacking for a couple seconds.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Use dodge. You know the thing where your player rolls on the ground?

So here’s another one of those smart comments. Sick of hearing this a swell. Doge, dodge, auto attack crap! Just cut it out will you! you guys are making me really annoyed with this crap. I’ve been playing since beta, i got 9x lvl 80.s, my latest one a ranger is reached equivalent to 120 lvls with 0 deaths. So yea, I don’t know what dodge si, as i’m sure most gw2 players don’t, so why don’t you tell us all about it!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

A-net want to make this game like Darksoul which is kinda niche.And its not working well when half of your customer playing from other continents.

There is a hilariously ironic line in the wiki about interrupts related to this. It claims that ANet dropped GW1 style interrupts when developing GW2, because it was so sensitive to latency. I say the current evade/block based system is as sensitive, if not more.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Eulolia.2467

Eulolia.2467

Are you on about the first boss? You don’t need to dodge anything at all, you can just run behind him. The wind up is like 4 seconds, it’s impossible to miss. If you circle strafe like a pro you notice this instantly.

Subscribe for exciting guild wars 2 videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/eulololia/

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

The trick is to figure out when to dodge when he starts his telegraph. For me I keep doing it too early.

ANet has a wonky sense of dodge timing. If the shield trainer in Queensdale and stone throwing wurms are reliable examples, they want us to dodge at the end of the trigger animation rather than at the start. But every fiber in my body screams that to me that the natural reaction is to dodge the moment i see a incoming attack, not wait until the sword edge is shaving my eyebrows!

I know. I have the same problem. That is why I hate Long telegraphs. Because I can not get rid of that innate instinct to dodge and get out of dodge I tend to get one hit too many times.

But this is where the skill comes into play. Learning to stand your ground just a few minutes more.

Are you on about the first boss? You don’t need to dodge anything at all, you can just run behind him. The wind up is like 4 seconds, it’s impossible to miss. If you circle strafe like a pro you notice this instantly.

Did not think of that thanks for the tip.

Either way I get more practice in.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

(edited by anzenketh.3759)

in Queen's Jubilee

digiowl.9620

The combat mechanics are built around two human opponents facing each other in a limited arena, with moves and counter moves drilled.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

One hit kills are okay in some instances. I think the sniper guy was handled fairly well in this regard. He hits like a truck but his big attack is clearly telegraphed and it’s single target. That is how a one shot kill should be handled.

I don’t think any AoEs should be one hit kills though. It’s just cheap.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

So here’s another one of those smart comments. Sick of hearing this a swell. Doge, dodge, auto attack crap! Just cut it out will you! you guys are making me really annoyed with this crap. I’ve been playing since beta, i got 9x lvl 80.s, my latest one a ranger is reached equivalent to 120 lvls with 0 deaths. So yea, I don’t know what dodge si, as i’m sure most gw2 players don’t, so why don’t you tell us all about it!

Well to be fair, you thought that Necro staff abilities made you stand still.

I’m a staff necro and every skill is a mark you have to place on the ground and basically stand still to place them

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

I can’t be the only one who hates these; they’re stupid as hell.
It’s not fun to lose the whole thing and have to start all over again because of a single tiny mistake. Especially when said attacks are poorly telegraphed with specific methods for avoiding them inside a tiny dome that limits your field of view.

better yet when there is lag and the telegraph is after the attack

in Queen's Jubilee

digiowl.9620

I’m a staff necro and every skill is a mark you have to place on the ground and basically stand still to place them

Not quite. I suspect the OP has trouble coordinating a movement direction while putting down the mark with any sense of precision. I have the same issue. If i try to run somewhere while pointing the camera off to the side (never mind backwards) i invariably end up running into a wall or off a cliff.

One reason why i find the slower strafe speeds and lack of a locked aim mode. Yes, there is the third party Combatmod. But i hold the opinion that turning certain actions into toggles (mouse look, show names) would be a simple change yet strongly benefit the game.

For a company that claims to be staffed by serious MMO geeks, the interface is painfully archaic and limiting. Almost to the point that dealing with the UI is a layer of fake difficulty.

(edited by digiowl.9620)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Yeah the 1hit kill mechanic pretty much makes it pointless to not be full zerker.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Queen's Jubilee

Tiger Ashante.1792

Well I probably should have clarified, i don’t mean still literaly but i do use the ring makers and to place them to specific locations ie: on the enemy rather than lay them around randomly. I can still move but it using this method does make the movement somewhat restricted.

But this is not what my post is about. My argument is that if you go on one on one, nothing should be able to 1 shot you! simple as that! When i think about it, I don’t think it would matter if had 50k hp i still would have been 1 shot unless i had endless endurance do dodge.

Granted, my wireless mouse/keyboard makes me suffer some latency and with the lags going on in the pavilion anyway, it makes it hard to time my dodges as some ppl may. but i still go back to the fact that nothing should be able to hit u that hard where they insta kill you from full health to 0. for me, it’s the worst experience ever as i see no purpose in it other than to aggravate the player.

in Queen's Jubilee

digiowl.9620

The trick is to figure out when to dodge when he starts his telegraph. For me I keep doing it too early.

ANet has a wonky sense of dodge timing. If the shield trainer in Queensdale and stone throwing wurms are reliable examples, they want us to dodge at the end of the trigger animation rather than at the start. But every fiber in my body screams that to me that the natural reaction is to dodge the moment i see a incoming attack, not wait until the sword edge is shaving my eyebrows!

I know. I have the same problem. That is why I hate Long telegraphs. Because I can not get rid of that innate instinct to dodge and get out of dodge I tend to get one hit too many times.

But this is where the skill comes into play. Learning to stand your ground just a few minutes more.

Seems like a arbitrary sort of “skill”.

in Queen's Jubilee

Ursan.7846

One of the most important skills drilled into a soldier is the ability to hold your fire until your targets get in range for a higher chance of success: Hence the famous “Don’t shoot until you see the whites of their eye” quote.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

The main problem is the camera angle. Making us have a crappy camera angle is NOT a challenge. Why not just make us hav a black screen and fight blind if that’s Anet’s idea of a challenge. I swear, every single of one those challenges will benefit from a bigger and more camera free arena. This is why lupi was never complained about, we had tonnes of space and plenty of freedom. We could SEE what we were doing.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Hyung.6140

Hyung.6140

I find it hard to believe you’re dying on the first boss of the first tier. It seems like you must be doing something wrong without realising it – perhaps you could post a video and we could see what’s happening?

Sure you can be 1-shot by the first boss, but it’s not something I’d expect to happen very much as it’s very easy to avoid no matter what class you play and how you play it.

Hope we can help, as I think you’ll find the Gauntlet is really really fun (and this is from someone who complained heavily about Candidate Trials as being the epitome of unfun terribly designed fights!).

—-
Hyinna, Gunnars Hold
[Ub] – My Life for Alesia

in Queen's Jubilee

digiowl.9620

One of the most important skills drilled into a soldier is the ability to hold your fire until your targets get in range for a higher chance of success: Hence the famous “Don’t shoot until you see the whites of their eye” quote.

Yes, from a positions of concealment so to maximize surprise and chance of hitting.

This is the polar opposite however, and goes against some of the oldest instincts of the animal kingdom. And it seems to be in the game simply for this ephemeral “skill” that i keep reading about, but that everyone seems to have their own private definition off.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I did all the challenges till the last boss dying like only 2 times with full Cleric Guardian (3200 Toughness , 3000 Attack 28% Crit).
Stop being terrible people, learn to play.
I’m yet to beat the final boss, I’ve already died like 10 times, but I wont give up until I beat her.

Again. Cleric. GS. Guardian.

in Queen's Jubilee

Ursan.7846

This is the polar opposite however, and goes against some of the oldest instincts of the animal kingdom. And it seems to be in the game simply for this ephemeral “skill” that i keep reading about, but that everyone seems to have their own private definition off.

Yes, training yourself to overcome your instinctual urges is a skill. The instant you see something, your instinct is to dodge. But a player who’s experienced the attack pattern over and over will be familiar with the timing of the attack and will know a better dodge timing. It’s something you learn over time and become more proficient at through experience. That is the definition of skill. How is this arbitrary or ephemeral?

in Queen's Jubilee

digiowl.9620

Yes, training yourself to overcome your instinctual urges is a skill. The instant you see something, your instinct is to dodge. But a player who’s experienced the attack pattern over and over will be familiar with the timing of the attack and will know a better dodge timing. It’s something you learn over time and become more proficient at through experience. That is the definition of skill. How is this arbitrary or ephemeral?

Arbitrary in that it seems put into the game simply to promote this “skill”, but (for me at least) badly breaks immersion.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

It’s a challenge that the RPG community is apparently unfamiliar with. I think FPS guys stopped complaining about one shot a long time ago.

in Queen's Jubilee

Ursan.7846

Arbitrary in that it seems put into the game simply to promote this “skill”, but (for me at least) badly breaks immersion.

What.

What does the reason for long, delayed telegraph have anything to do with the fact that, some semblance of skill is required to deal with this mechanic successfully? Why it’s in there is irrelevant. It’s there, and players become more proficient at dealing with it with experience (the definition of the word skill).

Why the need to belittle this skill as arbitrary and ephemeral? Even if you don’t like it for whatever reason, it’s still a skill, and players do possess it.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Hyung.6140

Hyung.6140

What.

What does the reason for long, delayed telegraph have anything to do with the fact that, some semblance of skill is required to deal with this mechanic successfully? Why it’s in there is irrelevant. It’s there, and players become more proficient at dealing with it with experience (the definition of the word skill).

Why the need to belittle this skill as arbitrary and ephemeral? Even if you don’t like it for whatever reason, it’s still a skill, and players do possess it.

Yeah. There’s no unavoidable one-shot in any fight in the Gauntlet including the final one.

—-
Hyinna, Gunnars Hold
[Ub] – My Life for Alesia

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Zenon.4328

Zenon.4328

Lets focus on the OP’s post here. He was on the first boss, not some of the later ones that people here are arguing about.

The first boss’s 1 shot skill takes so long to wind up and only hits in front of him. If you are gonna melee him and stand in his face, just dodge behind him. He can’t move while charging up the attack so if you dodge earlier to behind him, you can just hit him while he stands there.

in Queen's Jubilee

Tiger Ashante.1792

Lets focus on the OP’s post here. He was on the first boss, not some of the later ones that people here are arguing about.

The first boss’s 1 shot skill takes so long to wind up and only hits in front of him. If you are gonna melee him and stand in his face, just dodge behind him. He can’t move while charging up the attack so if you dodge earlier to behind him, you can just hit him while he stands there.

No, the first boss did 1 shot me the first time i tried, but then i got him the 2nd time. The odd thing is when i got 1 shot i was long way away from and don’t even know what hit me. All i know, i was full health 1 minute and dead the next.

2nd boss 1 shot me too, but i was confused by him coz he kept growing larger and larger and no matter how much i dodged or ran from him he was in my face. Then the 3rd boss, i was just a football, pulled and showed back and forth until i saw tiny little things in the air, don’t even know what they were. Birds? and it may have been them that were playing football with me. but even though i was downed i managed to kill the boss just in time.
then the 4th boss 1 shotted me as soon as i entered the arena and that’s when i rage logged.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Eulolia.2467

Eulolia.2467

Guys, I’m 75% sure this is a troll thread.

Subscribe for exciting guild wars 2 videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/eulololia/

in Queen's Jubilee

Tiger Ashante.1792

Guys, I’m 75% sure this is a troll thread.

Excuse me? are you calling me a troll? well that’s first and i demand an apology, as I’m no troll thank you.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Someone should make a thread claiming tutorial being too hard.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Get Liadri to 1%, time runs out and I get dropped. At 1%. With the crappy camera on large toons.

I’m done until they fix this kittened camera and its inability to zoom out.

I don’t play tiny asura or human females and I wanted this done on ranger.

in Queen's Jubilee

Tiger Ashante.1792

Someone should make a thread claiming tutorial being too hard.

You comparing gauntlet to tutorial? surely u must be joking.

Anyway, I do think Anet could make 2 modes of this. it would help having an easier, untimed mode (without achievements) like a kinda training run, to learn how it all works, rather than forcing you to die over and over just to learn what you supposed to do. This would especially be beneficial if the content stays or returns at some point later.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Any mechanic that kills you in one hit is designed to teach you how to recognize the attack and avoid it. Weather this is done by dodging, getting out of the way, blocking, invulnerability or some in game gimmick what ever….

Every failure is a lesson. Stop chasing the stupid reward like a casual.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: fey.5438

fey.5438

Dodge, endure pain, shield block, stuns, stability… Srsly ppl stop whine.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Can someone please explain to me that if you understand how to dodge, how are you still getting 1-shotted?

On the flip side, if I’m able to constantly dodge a strong attack, and another player isn’t, does that mean I’m more skilled or more lucky?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: seandkiller.8471

seandkiller.8471

There are no one shot attacks in the gauntlet that a) do not have tells, and b) can’t be dodged. If you can see it, and you can dodge it, I’m really sure you can call it unfair.

I have yet to notice a tell on the AoE death from the bubble Guardian chick. As far as I can tell, she simply stops attacking for a couple seconds.

Are you talking about the Blazing Light? I forget her name.

For me, her not attacking for a couple seconds was a good tell, as it almost seemed as if she was reading her spellbook.

“Can someone please explain to me that if you understand how to dodge, how are you still getting 1-shotted?
On the flip side, if I’m able to constantly dodge a strong attack, and another player isn’t, does that mean I’m more skilled or more lucky?”

(Don’t know how to do several quotes in one post)
Just a small note, I’m not complaining about any of the bosses, but dodging does not necessarily mean you won’t get hit by the 1HKO. Most of them require mechanics to avoid (Stepping in the AoE during the Blazing Light fight, for example.)

(edited by seandkiller.8471)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

“Can someone please explain to me that if you understand how to dodge, how are you still getting 1-shotted?
On the flip side, if I’m able to constantly dodge a strong attack, and another player isn’t, does that mean I’m more skilled or more lucky?”

(Don’t know how to do several quotes in one post)
Just a small note, I’m not complaining about any of the bosses, but dodging does not necessarily mean you won’t get hit by the 1HKO. Most of them require mechanics to avoid (Stepping in the AoE during the Blazing Light fight, for example.)

The “Dodge” mechanic is straight forward. Double tap or key bind it, and the action happens. But you need to know how to dodge, and where to dodge to. If you dodge something, but roll off a ledge, or into AOE, you’ll still be in a world of hurt.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

wow 9 lvl 80s……. oh wow zero deaths…..did you ever go outside of queensdale? Did you ever play any type pvp? Anyone can make an alt, craft it to 80 and just pwn in level 1-15 zones you cuddly liddle bear.

The gauntlet is not Carebear friendly. nuff said. Either get better or stahp.

Well rather than elaborating here’s a link to a thread if u care to read, i think it answers your presumptuous, snide remarks

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/I-think-I-deserve-some-sort-of-Medal/first#post2555725

All I see is a picture. In that picture you are scaled down to lvl 18…… So obviously you did easy content that was no threat to your health bar…… Hell anyone can do that.

BTW you don’t deserve a medal for doing something so easy that just takes time to grind.

Take a good look. That actually takes a bit of skill.

Attachments:

(edited by Chewablesleeptablet.3185)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Minibiskit.6158

Minibiskit.6158

I had objections to Grenth’s one-hit KOs because my success depended on how good the player next to me was (and vice-versa). I don’t feel so bad about having insanely difficult fights like this in the gauntlet because it is entirely solo. I love that I’m having to swap utilities, elites, and traits to adapt to each fight. It makes me feel like I’ve grown to learn my class well enough to adapt to difficult fights on the fly. I have yet to see anyone walk by me with the Liadri minipet, but if I do see him I’ll be sure to give him a /cheer. That player is GOOD.

I’m 0/23 on Liadri attempts. That kitten is going down!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

Welcome to GW2 PvE….

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

Sorry, but the fault is on you. I don’t want to say it (I’d hate to sound elitist…) but, perhaps you need to practice a bit more.

Do you see him Charging his hammer?
DODGE!
Can’t dodge?
Well, you have interrupts.
Shortbow?
CONCUSSION SHOT!
Longbow?
POINTBLANK!
OH Dagger?
Skill #5 for a FREE dodge!
MH Sword?
2 and #3 are excellent “dodges”!
Pet?
Raven has blind!

You have to think outside the box for a second and stop face tanking him, like every other PvE mob.

As for the necro who was complaining, there are ways to deal with this too!
I’ve seen PLENTY of Necro’s kill the enemy in as little as 10seconds with Lich Form.
You can move while you’re casting Marks! Use #5 Fear Mark as an interrupt if you run out of dodges!

As for Liadri, if you get downed by a chaos rift, hit it! You might Rally.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

Sorry for double posting but it’s pretty obvious.

Have you seen a mesmer cast mantras? If not, ask a mesmer and they will gladly use Mantra of Pain.

Also, Guardian’s elite books #5 has the same hand motion.

If you see her “chanting” and using the mantra/book #5 animation with her hands, interrupt her!

Every profession has some.
Necro’s have Fear and Warhorn. Ranger’s have a lot (read my other post). Guardians can use GS #5→#5 for a pull at her (or if you are a shield, you can use Shield of Absorption lol). Mesmer’s have Diversion, Daze Mantra, Signet stun, pistol ….etc. Ele’s can blind her (I don’t know if that works or not) and if you’re OH dagger, Earthquake (but it’s CD is pretty hefty…). Sorry I don’t play my Warrior/Engineer a lot, so I don’t know about them.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Well, see, the goal is to not get hit by said devastating attack.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

This is optional content. If you don’t want to do it, quit. It’s that simple. You always have the option to quit anything you want, no one is forcing you to do this. The rest of the game is still available to you to play, so you ignore this and do whatever else you actually want to do or enjoy.

What will you really miss out on? Some achievement points that you’ll get anyways? A mini that nobody will care about? A bag of money that could easily be gained in a fraction of the time through running dungeons?

The challenge here is to learn the mechanics and adapt to them. It’s not another exercise in spamming attacks until something is dead. If it’s frustrating, you can just quit and do something else enjoyable. If you don’t want to quit, then you have to adapt.

Also…

I’m a staff necro and every skill is a mark you have to place on the ground and basically stand still to place them, but i guess like some have said in other threads, im supposed to start changing build and my gear just for this fight? no thank you. i shouldn’t have to. this was supposed to be fun and i was actually looking forward this update, but ah well forget it.

Yes, just forget it. Saying “I’m a staff necro” is a very stubborn attitude. Each profession is equipped with a variety of abilities that can be used to handle various situations. Attempting to use one particular build and expecting it to be able to accomplish everything in the game as effectively as any other build is unreasonable. If the game was designed this way it would be incredibly dull. You should perhaps take this as an opportunity to explore more facets of your character, try something new, and experiment.

I ran into a similar situation. I went through the gauntlet with a particular build on my main (an engg), but when I got to the pirate fight, I wasn’t able to beat it in time. The main problem is that my build did not have strong AoE potential, and the condition damage was not high enough to burn down single targets quickly. However, I knew an alternate build that I had used before would be much more effective for this fight. In particular, it had high AoE damage potential. So I tried to cluster the mobs around me and maximize the damage output, which allowed me to beat the fight without too much difficulty.

So yes, you are expected to modify your build if your current build is not well equipped for a particular situation. Why do you think you have all these different skills available? The tools are there, you need to learn how to use them. If you don’t want to, then just don’t do this content. If the game bound you into skill/trait choices, then I think your point would be valid. However, it’s very inexpensive to reconfigure you traits, and free to reconfigure your skills. Even gear is not too much of a hassle. If you want some easy exotics, just buy the karma armor from the Orr temples. It may not be optimized, but it will have a fairly even stat distribution and will all be of exotic quality. You can even keep the gear for your new alternate build and swap between the two.

The only thing I could see as unfair would be the fact that newer players won’t have access to the higher end gear. If they only have 1 character that isn’t level 80 yet, they’re at a significant disadvantage if they go into the gauntlet, so the content is actually more difficult for them than anyone who has been playing for sometime. Given that this is temporary content, it would be nice if they could possibly get compensation for this in some manner, but they just don’t have a system like that in place yet.

At any rate, it’s completely optional content, and you won’t miss out on anything of significance that you couldn’t otherwise get if you’d rather do something else that you have more fun at doing.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Thryfe.2576

Thryfe.2576

OHKOs and massive Health pools are THE two worst methods available for inflating the difficulty of a fight in any game. They’re a lazy approach, and a symbol of bad design.
Reason being, they’re severely detrimental to the enjoyment of the fight.
No one likes an instant loss out of nowhere, and no one likes tickling an enemy to death for literally minutes. Combining the two would immediately destroy the game for anyone.

It’s a classic mistake.

That’s a bold claim considering games infamous and loved by fans for their difficulty do exactly that, one hit kills and massive health pools. I’m looking at you Devil May Cry series. Not the new game though ;/

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

OHKOs and massive Health pools are THE two worst methods available for inflating the difficulty of a fight in any game. They’re a lazy approach, and a symbol of bad design.
Reason being, they’re severely detrimental to the enjoyment of the fight.
No one likes an instant loss out of nowhere, and no one likes tickling an enemy to death for literally minutes. Combining the two would immediately destroy the game for anyone.

It’s a classic mistake.

That’s a bold claim considering games infamous and loved by fans for their difficulty do exactly that, one hit kills and massive health pools. I’m looking at you Devil May Cry series. Not the new game though ;/

I don’t recall any of the Devil May Cry games having literal one-shot mechanics. There were attacks that did huge chunks of damage, sure, but unless you were on Heaven or Hell mode, there weren’t one hit kills that I can remember.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Warnazz.8925

Warnazz.8925

Avoiding being 1 shotted is the challenge. You remember what a challenge is, yes? It must be a sad day for some people realizing that some achievements are still difficult to acquire.

in Queen's Jubilee

Thryfe.2576

If you play through DMD mode on the very first game fresh with no extended health bar with just what you were able to aquire at the time, a Devil triggered shadow will one shot you with the spear attack. With that in mind if you make a mistake you die. Same as Liadri. In devil may cry you would stock up on some health to counter that. which is adapting.

People complain saying I shouldn’t have to retrait specifically for this and that. Yes, yes you do. You bring the right tools for the job or expect to lose. There is a reason why there is an npc to retrait inside the pavilion area. You’ve played Devil may cry, that’s like saying wow I Shouldn’t have to use Ifrit to beat nightmare on dmd I want to use Alastor. Another example is fighting a Conditionmancer and then losing only to complain and say " I shouldnt have to use Condition removal to win". lol what?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Avoiding being 1 shotted is the challenge. You remember what a challenge is, yes? It must be a sad day for some people realizing that some achievements are still difficult to acquire.

Not only that, but it’s a fair difficulty too.

The 15 minute clear of the Mai and Horrik fight was reasonable, but it had this arbitrary condition of being done on the first attempt and not being doable post-wipe. I didn’t feel that was fair, especially since it would pop up the timer and give you the canon drop anyways.

The advanced support during the election was also badly designed in that you had to use some lame deaggro and avoidance strategy to do it, and it was easier to do solo even though it was advertised as a group event. So while that was difficult, it wasn’t very fair or well made.

However, the gauntlet isn’t like that. It is difficult, but it’s a fair difficulty that doesn’t force you into abusing mechanics. You can beat it with the right plan and following through on execution, although it might take a number of tries.

Even if you don’t like the gauntlet, I find it hard to believe that anyone would not agree that it’s way better than something like the candidate trails were.

in Queen's Jubilee

Thryfe.2576

Not only that, but it’s a fair difficulty too.

The 15 minute clear of the Mai and Horrik fight was reasonable, but it had this arbitrary condition of being done on the first attempt and not being doable post-wipe. I didn’t feel that was fair, especially since it would pop up the timer and give you the canon drop anyways.

The advanced support during the election was also badly designed in that you had to use some lame deaggro and avoidance strategy to do it, and it was easier to do solo even though it was advertised as a group event. So while that was difficult, it wasn’t very fair or well made.

However, the gauntlet isn’t like that. It is difficult, but it’s a fair difficulty that doesn’t force you into abusing mechanics. You can beat it with the right plan and following through on execution, although it might take a number of tries.

Even if you don’t like the gauntlet, I find it hard to believe that anyone would not agree that it’s way better than something like the candidate trails were.

I agree completely, I went into the Liadri fight, got rocked and thought holy hell this is ridiculous. Watched some people try a bit and realized there was a pattern to things and as long as you have a plan there is a shot at victory.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

If you play through DMD mode on the very first game fresh with no extended health bar with just what you were able to aquire at the time, a Devil triggered shadow will one shot you with the spear attack. With that in mind if you make a mistake you die. Same as Liadri. In devil may cry you would stock up on some health to counter that. which is adapting.

People complain saying I shouldn’t have to retrait specifically for this and that. Yes, yes you do. You bring the right tools for the job or expect to lose. There is a reason why there is an npc to retrait inside the pavilion area. You’ve played Devil may cry, that’s like saying wow I Shouldn’t have to use Ifrit to beat nightmare on dmd I want to use Alastor. Another example is fighting a Conditionmancer and then losing only to complain and say " I shouldnt have to use Condition removal to win". lol what?

Are you insane? That is THE hardest setting in the entire game, which you can’t even do until you’ve already beaten the game, and most people never even used it.
You can’t compare that to first-tier enemies with no added difficulty.