Achievements are way too hard

in Living World

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

The main reason for this is because the Living Story Journal isn’t account wide. If it was, you could just switch toons and they the achievements with different toons and gear and builds like we did with Liadri, but with this…It’s just too time consuming to do the whole story over and over and over again every time you want to try it with a different toon. It’s too hard….

Also, Super Adventure Funbox ? Pls ? It’s my favorite content, hope we get to play the next rendition of it soon.

Are you Shpongled?

in Living World

Posted by: Leallax.1482

Leallax.1482

They’re supposed to be hard.

They’re supposed to be a challenge.

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’ve done a few, passed on others. Some I don’t have the patience to futz with, like the jumping puzzles or the more obnoxious combat ones. So I don’t do those.
If I care later, I’ll try again.
I really can’t say they’re too hard, so much as I don’t care enough. =P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Living World

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

The achievements are completely optional. They wouldn’t be achievements if you got them for free.

Embrace the challenge, and if you can’t get some of them, don’t worry about it. You can always come back and try again later.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I can’t say they are all too difficult. I was playing today with a Guildie, and got two with no idea how I achieved them. Certainly wasn’t trying to achieve them. Lol.

in Living World

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

You want achievements that are too hard, go look at the WvW title achievements. Half the time the living story gives you AP just for showing up…

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

I can’t say they are all too difficult. I was playing today with a Guildie, and got two with no idea how I achieved them. Certainly wasn’t trying to achieve them. Lol.

They’re party-wide; if someone does it, the whole party gets credit.

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh, well, I usually just do them solo, and the Guildie was on his first run-through, so that probably didn’t apply to me. =P

But, maybe…who knows?

in Living World

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

a·chieve·ment
noun
1. A thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill.

I don’t see what’s wrong here. Achievements are supposed to be that. Achievements.

in Living World

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Isn’t that what achievements are meant for? What’s the point of being rewarded for something so easy?

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

in Living World

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

what’s the point on achievements in a game that only the small 5% can do?
see, go’s both ways.

in Living World

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

see, go’s both ways.

Except that 5% is as accurate as me saying that 80% of people can do all of the achievements.

Everyone I know has been able to do the achievements. We do them as a guild. Never had any issue, and one of our players is a 9 year old…if 9 year olds can be members of the “small 5%” then might I suggest a different game?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in Living World

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

Let’s analyze this.
“Achievements are way too hard.”
Achievements are way too hard.

achievement (??t?i?vm?nt)
n
1. something that has been accomplished, esp by hard work, ability, or heroism.

(edited by Anmida.4058)

in Living World

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

see, go’s both ways.

Except that 5% is as accurate as me saying that 80% of people can do all of the achievements.

Everyone I know has been able to do the achievements. We do them as a guild. Never had any issue, and one of our players is a 9 year old…if 9 year olds can be members of the “small 5%” then might I suggest a different game?

let me correct you on that, this is what you wrote:
“everyone i know…”
and that’s exactly your problem, you assume that, because they have done it, everyone in the entire world can do it.
let me assume something for you, allot of them had help doing the achievements and had plenty of time doing them.

try it solo without help and just 1-2h per 2 days, don’t give me that whole “find a different game” crap, be helpful.

really, i get fed up with kids thinking they know better while constantly showing elitist behavior, is it really so hard to think both ways?
you’ve done it, power to you, so what is your advice, not elitist comment, how it could improve and how someone with barely any time to do the achievement.

in Living World

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

I’ve done them all on my own with my Elementalist so it’s certainly possible. If you want help with them , create an lfg in the living world section asking for a group to do it with – I’m sure there are people out there that would be happy to help or prefer to do it as a group.

Otherwise, check dulfy’s website. There are guides on there for each one.

These are permanent so don’t worry about doing them ASAP. You have until the game servers go down to do them.

in Living World

Draknar.5748

try it solo without help and just 1-2h per 2 days, don’t give me that whole “find a different game” crap, be helpful.

really, i get fed up with kids thinking they know better while constantly showing elitist behavior, is it really so hard to think both ways?
you’ve done it, power to you, so what is your advice, not elitist comment, how it could improve and how someone with barely any time to do the achievement.

Can only speak for myself here. (I’m 29 by the way)

I completed all of the first installment and second installment of LS achievements SOLO. I just unlocked the latest update so I haven’t even tried those.

My point was, if you are having trouble doing something solo, perhaps try with a group. It’s so easy to do in a group that one of our guild members’ chilluns (the 9 year old) was able to do them. As far as I know they’ve only completed up to what I have as well so can’t speak on the difficulty of the latest installment, but reading the achievements they seem pretty straightforward.

If you’ve completed the story portion solo then you are done. You can’t complain that the optional achievements are too difficult; that’s the entire point. They make them harder than normal play mode so that when you complete them it is an actual achievement (but considering many of the achievements can be completed without even realizing you did them, I’d say that they are only ever so slightly harder than normal play).

And when I say everyone I know has done them, of course I meant my little circle of guild members and my random static FoTM group. However, my guild has players from ages 9-70 with all sorts of skill. From first time MMO players to veteran MMO players. If that entire range of people has been able to be successful at it (not necessarily solo, but sometimes to achieve you have to put in some effort, which might very well mean grouping up) then I would say that the achievements are not too difficult and it isn’t just 5% of people completing them.

If you don’t mind my asking, which achievements in particular are giving you trouble? If you want actual help and advice rather than simply venting your frustration on the forums, let us know which ones are stumping you and we can give advice on how to complete them.

in Living World

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

http://dulfy.net/2014/07/02/gw2-gates-of-maguuma-achievements-guide/
http://dulfy.net/2014/07/15/gw2-entanglement-story-achievement-guide/
http://dulfy.net/2014/07/30/gw2-the-dragons-reach-part-1-achievement-guide/

If you’re actually having that much trouble you can always use a guide, although all that “casual” talk is getting pretty old.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I think the achievement difficulties are just right. Some are easy, some are tricky, and some are tricky if you don’t have the right build/skill set. For example, the JP achievements in Gates of Maguuma. I did it on my 2nd attempt after learning the route to get up there, but my poor girlfriend just could not get up there on her own and needed me to portal her up there.

Then, in Entanglement, I first attempted the Fort Salma boss on my Mesmer. She excels in single target fighting, but she struggled with trying to protect the Bone Minions, killing the Wolves AND damaging the boss all at the same time. (Curse the Mesmer’s lack of an innate speed boost!) My girlfriend, however, breezed through the fight on her Ranger. (We both did it solo.)

There is always room to grow and improve your skills when attempting achievements. But, if you absolutely cannot get them due to your own limitations, join up with a group. The LS2 achievements are usually much easier when you have others to help.

EDIT: I do, however, strongly agree with the OP about getting rid of the nonsense about achievements being locked until your character has done them once before. At the very least, once unlocked, the achievements should be unlocked account wide for all your characters. Forcing each character to do the story before they have a shot at attempting the achievements is pointless busywork and hampers the player’s ability to try different characters and builds.

(edited by Zaxares.5419)

in Living World

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Agreed with the OP, you should be able to just drop into whichever story mission you need with any character you have as conveniently as possible.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Living World

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

not agreed with OP. if only 5% manage to do the achievements, it just means that 5% were better than you and could achieve feats you can’t.
(not everyone can run 100 meters in 5 seconds)
took me ages to get the dont get knocked down achievement, but when i did i was thrilled. if they’d just given it to me with little to no effort how would i have felt?

living worlkd is an extension on the characters main story. in a roleplay sense, how would you charactor know where to go or RElive events they’ve never done? player knowledge =/= charactor knowledge.

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

in Living World

Posted by: Rasgalinj.2763

Rasgalinj.2763

I have yet to speak to a person who has not managed to do all of the LS2 achievements, part from lack of time / want to do so.

And after all, shouldn’t challenge-achievements be like, i don’t know.. Challenging?

in Living World

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I have yet to speak to a person who has not managed to do all of the LS2 achievements, part from lack of time / want to do so.

And after all, shouldn’t challenge-achievements be like, i don’t know.. Challenging?

You’re lying, they’re in this forum a-plenty and you’re speaking here

Anyhow, I agree, the difficulty and challenge of these elite achievements should remain as they are – just bug-free, please…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Living World

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I kinda mind the tedium more than the challenge level. I did all the patch 1 achievements, but just haven’t even bothered with the 2 and 3 ones, because I didn’t have any interest in playing back through the story missions. I think it should be possible to get ALL achievements in ONE playthrough, the first one if you do them right. You should only ever have to replay them if you screw up.

Story missions are fun enough to do once, because you’re learning the story, but I can’t think of even one story mission, at any point, that was as fun in terms of raw gameplay as doing open world content with dozens of other players.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Agreed with the OP, you should be able to just drop into whichever story mission you need with any character you have as conveniently as possible.

My one wish regarding story achievements is to be able to play the actual event the achievement takes place. Not sit through the boring story components and inane prattle. That (and a certain anti-Charr jumping puzzle) are my main reasons for not digging into achievements.

And really, what’s wrong with giving us credit for finishing achievements we don’t even see until the story is done if we can do them on the first run?

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Living World

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

On alts being able to work on achievements. I can agree on that I do them on my ranger but having the ability to use an alt without doing the content again would be a nice feature for people.

For the “Kids” & “Elitist” You are telling them to contribute and be helpful. Your original post just says they are too hard. If you asked a specific question of I need help with X achievement I feel you would get more helpful answers from the general public.

in Living World

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

http://dulfy.net/2014/07/02/gw2-gates-of-maguuma-achievements-guide/
http://dulfy.net/2014/07/15/gw2-entanglement-story-achievement-guide/
http://dulfy.net/2014/07/30/gw2-the-dragons-reach-part-1-achievement-guide/

If you’re actually having that much trouble you can always use a guide, although all that “casual” talk is getting pretty old.

yeah, seriously. It just takes some time and the desire to get the achievements.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

in Living World

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

It’s not even that challenging either though. You just look up guides, do the jumping puzzles, explore, kill. Most of it is mindless work, set up objectives and knock em down.

The best solution for people who think it’s “hard” is to get out there and start doing stuff. Otherwise, sitting around solves nothing – the achievements don’t achieve themselves.

in Living World

Draknar.5748

It’s not even that challenging either though. You just look up guides, do the jumping puzzles, explore, kill. Most of it is mindless work, set up objectives and knock em down.

The best solution for people who think it’s “hard” is to get out there and start doing stuff. Otherwise, sitting around solves nothing – the achievements don’t achieve themselves.

I will posit that the Dive Goggles achievement (not a LS achievement per se, but a Dry Top achievement) is challenging. You have to be pretty quick and precise with that crystal jumping and then land properly in the water, which can be tough.

But then again it is an optional achievement designed to be challenging. Otherwise why even call it an achievement.

The knockdown achievement in the latest LS took 3 attempts. First one I was hanging toward the entrance where the stupid orbs spawn, big mistake. 2nd time around I was hanging closer to the statue, much easier to see the orbs and they are so slow you can easily kite them, but unfortunately I dodged right into a fear ward and it sent me right back into the orbs. 3rd time I had learned everything I needed to know and completed it without issue. I did this duo, with the other guy taking out menders and/or distracting orbs (he had already completed the achievement and was helping me out).

You’d be surprised how much easier most achievements are when you do it with even one additional person. You don’t have to do everything solo.

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

see, go’s both ways.

let me correct you on that, this is what you wrote:
“everyone i know…”
and that’s exactly your problem, you assume that, because they have done it, everyone in the entire world can do it.
let me assume something for you, allot of them had help doing the achievements and had plenty of time doing them.

Dude I play about as casual as you can get. Use the LFG tool if you get stuck, I did. Made them easy mode. Also, they are ment to be challanging. I don’t exspect to be able to do them all. And there are some I probably won’t have the skill to do. But so far the ones I have gone for have been, in my opinion, easy.

Also there are guides out there, the wiki. I think you’ll find a google search would help a lot.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Living World

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

My likes and gripes with the season 2 achievements so far.

1. Regional achievements / open world
Those were OK and pretty balanced between going through map & story + replay/grind values. The negative thing about them is the silly jumping on those bamboo sticks combined with a timer. The thin line between challenging and just annoying has been crossed with those.

2. Instanced story stuff
I actually find it OK to have to do the story stuff first. You get to know the instance, make mistakes, perhaps respawn – and still succeed. You have no PUG or guildie type sigh in chat when you accidental trigger a trap and ruin an attempt at a achievement.
Not all achievements are explained well though (e.g. Dashed Advantage). I should be able to figure stuff out myself when I pay attention and not have to rely on people with “early access” (e.g. Dulfy) who are especially there to try content are will probably be able to team up with Devs (e.g like we did in the closed beta phase of GW2).

PS: For me the enforced item grind I have to participate to “unlock” new items/skins (ambrite weapons, back item) combined with RNG (e.g. Foxfire Clusters) are the parts I find increasingly frustrating abut season 2 so far.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

in Living World

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

I like hard achievements. What annoys me is the fact that you have to replay the whole instance if one thing goes wrong during the try.

in Living World

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Depends on your build, I’ve found that a lot of the achievements are a pain because they either require a lot of dodging or have objectives that keep popping up on different parts of the map (teleporting sylvari bomber, escorting exploding zombies, bouncing between mender and statue, etc.), which puts a lot of pressure on melee builds. Ranged builds have a much easier time about it, moreso if they have knockback/immobilize.

in Living World

Draknar.5748

For me the enforced item grind I have to participate to “unlock” new items/skins (ambrite weapons, back item) combined with RNG (e.g. Foxfire Clusters) are the parts I find increasingly frustrating abut season 2 so far.

Are you saying that Anet is forcing you to grind for the new optional skins?

Are they in the house with you right now!? Do you want us to call the police?!! Blink twice for yes, we’ll take care of the rest.

in Living World

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

not only are they ridiculously hard but they are not challenging at all, they are fustrating.

why do i have to do the entire thing once through before i can even attempt them?

why are they the WORST kind of acheivments where i have to start over if i dont do it EXACTLY right, thats not fun, that doesnt reward experimentation that encourages me to go read a guide and then borringly sludge through it

why am i nearly forced to get a full group for some of the acheivments to make them even remotely easy?

this type of content was a huge mistake anet i love dry top and all but the actual quests are terrible

in Living World

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I thought the achievements would be too easy. We need more beat liadri with 8 orbs like achievements.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

People are never happy. Also ANet did say they where making them harder. But I personal have not found them that hard. And it’s no like you HAVE to do them. And come on, let’s be hounest. It’s not like the rewards are all that great.

I define hard achievements as liadri and The Mad Kings Clock Tower. Not they are hard. These Living story one’s are not. (Maybe on swift wings).

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Well, after completing the achievements this weekend, my personal opinion is that they HAVE started getting tougher. Don’t Knock Yourself Out and Leave No Survivors were definitely trickier to achieve than ones from previous Living Stories (especially the former).

in Living World

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

The main reason for this is because the Living Story Journal isn’t account wide.

Idk about challenging, as I haven’t really bothered with them, but.. this is something that bugs me.

Living Story journal, was supposed to be account wide, where you could player the story and then hop characters for the achieves, they said that!.
but you have to replay the whole story to get access to it with other characters, this is just annoying.

#shrugs#

I’ve got enough to do anyway, not all that interested in the achieves.

in Living World

Posted by: ghtchill.7613

ghtchill.7613

I’ve done a couple of the achievements (for the first episode), but have stopped for the time being. I just cant stand redoing the entire story over just for the achievements. But, they will be around for a while, so perhaps I’ll do them all at some point…but only on 1 of my 80s.

Also, I agree with those that we should be able to skip through the tedious clicking and dialogue after we did it the first time. It would be nice to be able to enter any section of the story with any of my characters at any point. That way I could use different toons for different tasks.

TC

(edited by ghtchill.7613)

in Living World

Posted by: born in black sky.8162

born in black sky.8162

Greetings
some achievements are impossible to done it ,that make the game frustrating .
for journal story why not make a lot differents difficulties so every one choose what he want and enjoy the game .
some times i get stuck for weeks to finish 1 achievement so frustrating especially jumping puzzles >_< .
please dev team add choices to ppl so every one can enjoy the game the way they want .

in Living World

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

Agree whit this one. Still i do not know why the achivements are not unlocket the next time you play the story whit another character. I get why you cant jump missions and have to do them again. This would break the story so much, but the achivements could be unlocked. Still i think its cool the way it is now. Love that the achivements are actualy hard. Something to look forward to, just like bonus missions in gw1.

in Living World

Draknar.5748

Greetings
some achievements are impossible to done it ,that make the game frustrating .
for journal story why not make a lot differents difficulties so every one choose what he want and enjoy the game .
some times i get stuck for weeks to finish 1 achievement so frustrating especially jumping puzzles >_< .
please dev team add choices to ppl so every one can enjoy the game the way they want .

With the exception of WvW achievements (like Yakslapper), none of the achievements are impossible. Especially the Jumping Puzzles. They just take effort. There are some JPs I’ve taken over 50 attempts to complete. That’s part of the achieving.

in Living World

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

If the OP is trying to do them solo without guides, like I did, then I can see why he’d say they are too hard. Walkthroughs solve all the problems of having to work out the strange requirements by trial and error. Having a friend with you will massively improve the chances of the combat achievements.

Everyone knows that alts should be able to do the achievements after any character has completed the story. The designers might catch up by LS3.