Iittle irritated with the patch schedule

in Living World

Posted by: Misirlou.8971

Misirlou.8971

This is mostly a big QQ, but I can’t be the only one thinking this and I feel like ANet could definitely improve things….

So, I’ve been playing since launch, and this is the first time that I remember a patch going live at the stroke of midnight the day it’s supposed to drop. Normally, I’d say that’s great, but I’ve come to expect a few hours of play time after I get off work in the morning, and often use that time to play catch up on things like Living Story.

This time around I got a little screwed out of finishing up my Kiel mini (had 1/2 of one acheivement left) and spending my three Black Lion tokens on Aetherized skins (as an Engineer I would really have liked a couple of those skins).

Some consistency and advance warning more specific than a date would be nice.

in Living World

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

I am in the same situation. If you say content ends on the 6th then give us until the end of the 6th to do it. Thats what you did for all previous patches and now all of a sudden everything ends a day early. I voted most for Kiel but dont even have the mini to show for it. I logged on today to do the last 2 achievements I needed for it only to discover that it will never, ever be possible for me now. Very annoyed.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

This is why you shouldn’t leave things until the very last second.

We also got information yesterday about todays downtime and it was quite logical to assume that the patch might be live after said downtime.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: levelnine.7036

levelnine.7036

this info wasnt on game launcher last time i’ve checked. it was posted only on forums and a twitter a believe.

Seafarer’s Rest. Time Keepers [TK].

in Living World

Misirlou.8971

I don’t check the forums every day to see what downtime may or may not be coming, especially since (again, to my recollection) I’ve never experienced any downtime with this game since launch. Logically, I would assume it’s business as usual and the patch would be coming in the afternoon like they always do.

As for leaving things to the last second, I understand my role in my own misfortune, but again, it was based on a years’ worth of experience. This is meant to give the issue visibility to ANet in hopes that they come up with a bit more solid statement of schedule. It seems like there’s no reason not to, especially if, like you said, it was so predictable.

in Living World

Webba.3071

We also got information yesterday about todays downtime and it was quite logical to assume that the patch might be live after said downtime.

Given Ive only had the last 2 days to play I didnt have much choice… The point is there was very little advanced warning that this would happen a day earlier than previous updates, which have always happened at the END of the day referred to as the patch day. Had I known this content actually ended on the 5th, not the 6th, I might have been able to finish everything I wanted to do.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Given Ive only had the last 2 days to play I didnt have much choice… The point is there was very little advanced warning that this would happen a day earlier than previous updates, which have always happened at the END of the day referred to as the patch day. Had I known this content actually ended on the 5th, not the 6th, I might have been able to finish everything I wanted to do.

The content however didn’t end on the 5th (other than the content advertised as such) it did end on the 6th.

People should simply learn to assume that you might not be able to finish up stuff the same day as said stuff is stated to leave the game.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Webba.3071

People should simply learn to assume that you might not be able to finish up stuff the same day as said stuff is stated to leave the game.

Except that you have been able to with every single previous patch. They all finished at the END of the day. This patch was different. Thats why people have been thrown. Certainly I wont make the mistake of trusting Anet again, you are right, but I will still be annoyed about it now.

And the content did end on the 5th. According to support.guildwars2.com Server maintenance started at midnight and when it was finished the new patch was active. At no point on the 6th was any of the previous content available unless you are in a timezone ahead of server time.

(edited by Webba.3071)

in Living World

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

And this is why I keep asking for early announcements of all content-related deadlines and storing them in a prominent place (sticky post + wiki).

in Living World

Posted by: TobyTucker.5317

TobyTucker.5317

If you’re someone who doesn’t read the forums every single day you were pretty much taken by surprise. And guess what, there ARE people like that. If you want to be that kid who says “I got my assignment done early”, when everybody else stays up late the night before completing it, remember how things worked out for that kid. The teacher loved him, but the other students felt otherwise.

If you read previous announcements, the event was supposed to end on the 6th. I don’t know how other people interpret that, but I understood it to mean you had the whole day of the 6th to finish anything you might be missing. And guess what, there ARE people who put things off until the last minute. And don’t tell me you don’t know people like that. If, for example, you’re someone who really isn’t a fan of fractals and figure, well, I’ll have to do those tomorrow, and then find out you can’t do the ones you need AT ALL, you’re not going to be very happy, to say the least.

I don’t know why the event was cut one day short, but I bet there were some few people who didn’t appreciate the change, especially without adequate warning.

(edited by TobyTucker.5317)

in Living World

Posted by: Alleluia.1320

Alleluia.1320

If you’re someone who doesn’t read the forums every single day you were pretty much taken by surprise. And guess what, there ARE people like that. If you want to be that kid who says “I got my assignment done early”, when everybody else stays up late the night before completing it, remember how things worked out for that kid. The teacher loved him, but the other students felt otherwise.

Um… Ok. You’re being a real idiot with this paragraph here. Just sayin’…

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The 5 hour maintenance caught me by surprise too, but I generally agree with lordkrall. Try and get all your achievements done as early as possible to avoid unpleasant surprises. I usually try to blaze through the achievements by the first week if at all possible.

That said, I’m not unsympathetic to the people who, for whatever reason, didn’t get the time to get it done early. (Away on business trips, family issues, whatever.) The maintenance probably could have been scheduled at a better time.

in Living World

Webba.3071

The 5 hour maintenance caught me by surprise too, but I generally agree with lordkrall. Try and get all your achievements done as early as possible to avoid unpleasant surprises. I usually try to blaze through the achievements by the first week if at all possible.

That said, I’m not unsympathetic to the people who, for whatever reason, didn’t get the time to get it done early. (Away on business trips, family issues, whatever.) The maintenance probably could have been scheduled at a better time.

As long as they are consistent and accurate with their updates its no problem. It was not the case this time which has annoyed those of us who missed out on some things we had planned for as a result. I also usually go through all the achievements I want as soon as possible but it was not an option I had this time. Try to understand that people planning ahead and anet providing accurate and consistent information about their patch times are not mutually exclusive events, that is to say, it is possible for there to be fault on both sides.

(edited by Webba.3071)

in Living World

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

If you’ve been playing since release, then you should know by now to take the responsibility to inform yourself. I make a point of checking Reddit/GW2 everyday…only takes a few minutes.

It’s not ideal, but I find this complaint really petty actually.

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~

in Living World

Misirlou.8971

First, yes, I have been playing since release, and oddly enough I’ve never felt the need to check Reddit or the forums to get the info I needed about content timelines. It’s never been an issue for me until now, so I fail to see why ‘I should know by now’.

The game launcher news feed would be a better place to post things like hard details with impending impact on the game, instead of burying it in the forums or on Reddit. I honestly don’t understand why players are taking issue with asking the developer to establish a clear timeline for things and provide this info to the player base.

I’m not complaining about the minimap using the wrong shade of green or something. This is something that contributed to myself and others missing content. Content is why we’re here and why we pay for a product.

in Living World

Webba.3071

You wouldn’t if it had affected you personally. Everything is petty until you care about it. Small =/ petty, and this sort of situation would be really easy for anet to avoid in the future.

in Living World

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Just another instance of ANet having extremely poor communication about headline events in their game.

in Living World

Webba.3071

I just saw an excellent solution for this actually. The daily and monthly achievements have an hourly countdown on them in the interface showing how much time is left to do them. Add one of those to all the temporary achievements and problem solved.

in Living World

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

You wouldn’t if it had affected you personally. Everything is petty until you care about it. Small =/ petty, and this sort of situation would be really easy for anet to avoid in the future.

Kindly avoid making assumptions about me, as you actually don’t know how I respond to anything.

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~

in Living World

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

I just saw an excellent solution for this actually. The daily and monthly achievements have an hourly countdown on them in the interface showing how much time is left to do them. Add one of those to all the temporary achievements and problem solved.

this is an excellent idea. even though if im going to do stuff i get it done early but id support a timer on this stuff even if an updates late people will expect it to end at the certain time so no more compaints