Keep Scarlet off the Thaumanova Reactor Frac

in Living World

Posted by: Qawsada.4251

Qawsada.4251

The Thaumanova Reactor Fractal. Ever since the election, Anet decided that they would have the Thaumanova Reactor added into the fractal rotation. I first, I though it would be a normal Inquest shenanigans and what not. Then Scarlet Briar appears. When I first saw her and all the story she was given, I immediately think that Anet, namely the writer Angel, would insert Scarlet into the fractal. I would assume they would say SHE was the cause of the explosion, she would be the one that create the rift of reality, and the one that causes the havoc.

With this in mind, I would say NO! I do NOT want to see Scarlet Briar in the Fractal. I do NOT want to see her as the reason why the Reactor blew up. I do NOT want her in the fractal at all. Keep her in the Living Story and away from the Fractal or any part of the game. I rather have this fractal dedicate to the Inquest, and possibly Kudu. At least Kudu was an entertaining nemesis to the Asura Player with the Weather Changer Personal Story and he was formidable foe in the CoE Story Path. I enjoy the Fractal and the last thing I want is to see that Sylvari ruining one of the thing that make the High End PvE enjoyable.

in Living World

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

OP is right. Scarlet has no place in the fractal and shoving this character down our throats, in fractals of all places, would just be an insult.

Members of the community have already expressed their distaste for the way this character was written and presented. She is fine on her own, but don’t make me see her every time I want to do fractals. Keep her in the living story and let her go no further.

Be. Creative. We aren’t getting the Fall of Abaddon fractal, so at least make Thaumanova special. Scarlet may or may not already be in the fractal, but when it’s released, the best possible move would be to have her not in it. She has absolutely no place there. I can’t think of any player in the entire game who would want her in the fractal.

noice

in Living World

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

I am a Scarlet Fan…

But I completely agree with OP, she doesn’t belong in fractals.

Fractals is for lore, and to bring new players up to speed with what happened in GW1.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I am a Scarlet Fan…

Fractals is for lore, and to bring new players up to speed with what happened in GW1.

That would mean that they should delete all but one of the current (and confirmed future) fractals then? Because only one of those have anything at all to do with what happened in GW1.

Besides lore doesn’t need to be historic to be lore, something happening currently could be lore as well.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

I am a Scarlet Fan…

That would mean that they should delete all but one of the current (and confirmed future) fractals then? Because only one of those have anything at all to do with what happened in GW1.

Besides lore doesn’t need to be historic to be lore, something happening currently could be lore as well.

Nope to everything you said.

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I am a Scarlet Fan…

So then you’re totally against any fractal that would involve the Thaumanova Reactor simply because it has nothing to do with GW1?

Your post makes me laugh because of the possibility that you think the Thaumanova Reactor is GW1 lore.

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

Nope to everything you said.

You are not aware that the vast majorities of Fractals have nothing at all to do with GW1 then I take it?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

i hate all of you who voted for the reactor instead of abaddon

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

in Living World

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

There aren’t enough things for people to complain about, so they need to start manufacturing things?

in Living World

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I am a Scarlet Fan…

I’m the other way round: I don’t like Scarlet much, but I would have no problem with her being the reason the reactor blew.

I just want some sort of continuity, I don’t care much whether it was planned from the beginning or is shoehorned in later.

in Living World

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

You know i’m fine with her being there, as her sylvari name before she decided to go by scarlet (which still isnt explained why), but I do agree she shouldn’t be the reason it blew up.

Maybe scarlet saw the steam creatures there, so after she started building an army, she thought the best choice was to try and make them do the work, as they were already built and from another reality so no one would notice a large collection of golem-like workers going missing.

in Living World

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I am a Scarlet Fan…

Same for me. I like Scarlet, but she shouldn’t be in fractals.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Living World

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Members of the community have already expressed their distaste for the way this character was written and presented. She is fine on her own, but don’t make me see her every time I want to do fractals. Keep her in the living story and let her go no further.

Members of the community have already expressed liking the way this character was written and presented. It’s harder to find anyone liking Trahearne.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Living World

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Members of the community have already expressed liking the way this character was written and presented. It’s harder to find anyone liking Trahearne.

From reading these forums (just look at the plethora Scarlet-Sue and no-not-Scarlet-again threads), I’d say those members of community are a minority. Even is some people like the idea of Scarlet, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone actually approving the way character stories and lore are presented nowadays. Writing and presenting the lore of the living world is probably the reason why so many people have issues with Scarlet in the first place.
I agree that it’s hard to find a less likable NPC than Trahearne, but Scarlet does make a close second.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

(edited by hedix.1986)

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

^ And yet the number of people using the forums are a minority, thus we can’t really say if a majority or a minority dislikes Scarlet.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

I’ve seen a lot of Scarlet complaints map chat in-game as well. People don’t usually discuss lore and story in map chat, but Scarlet-related Anet writer dissing / GW1 nostalgia is an exception. And the only players who seem to get excited about her nowdays (on my server at least) are champ farmers.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in Living World

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

It should all have been written already so the protest is a bit late. However if you look at this positively then perhaps instead of it being awful it could :-

- be fun to play
- add extra permanent content
- improve the story of the living story
- make Scarlet more interesting
- reduce the chance of us seeing the dredge fractal

How good would that be?

in Living World

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

From reading these forums (just look at the plethora Scarlet-Sue and no-not-Scarlet-again threads), I’d say those members of community are a minority. Even is some people like the idea of Scarlet, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone actually approving the way character stories and lore are presented nowadays. Writing and presenting the lore of the living world is probably the reason why so many people have issues with Scarlet in the first place.
I agree that it’s hard to find a less likable NPC than Trahearne, but Scarlet does make a close second.

THe number of people supporting kiel on the forums were a minority but a majority of the playerbase liked her better.

Scarlet as a character is fine, I do like her. But she doesn’t need to be responsible for everything. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar (also the only time you’ll see that used in a non dirty context).

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Just be happy be don’t have to see Scarlet causing the Fall of Abbadon.

in Living World

Qawsada.4251

There aren’t enough things for people to complain about, so they need to start manufacturing things?

Consider it preemptive strike. The last thing I want to see is Scarlet in the Fractal, a place where I generally IGNORE the living story.

I’ve seen a lot of Scarlet complaints map chat in-game as well. People don’t usually discuss lore and story in map chat, but Scarlet-related Anet writer dissing / GW1 nostalgia is an exception. And the only players who seem to get excited about her nowdays (on my server at least) are champ farmers.

I do not think they actually care about Scarlet at all. They are in that event for the money. I would bet if they change the event to something like, I dunno, a Elder Dragon event, they would not even notice a thing.

in Living World

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I like Trahearne.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Living World

Posted by: folly dragon.4126

folly dragon.4126

Actually

I would love to see scarlet in that fractal,

I would also love for her to permanently stay there

So we could get back to the dragons

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

i hate all of you who voted for the reactor instead of abaddon

I voted for Abaddon, but I have a funny feeling that if we won the Fractal would have revealed Scarlet was to blame all along.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Living World

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

I think it is more likely to be Inquest shenanigans. Maybe, if we are lucky, there will be some hints of Mursaat because their lore would fit in perfectly. MAYBE.

Whatever happens. Don’t blame me, I voted for Kodos. I mean Evon.

#Evon4life

in Living World

Posted by: masha.2561

masha.2561

Well if you watch WoodenPotatoes videos on the subject, esp the Thaumanova Reactor video, I place my bets on the following rather obvious scenario:

Scarlet and Teo meet up. Teo likes stealing research from archives, among them the Infinity Ball (Azura personal story) that tells the future. Problem with that ball was it didn’t work because of power issues.
So Scarlet and Teo put their heads together and decide to borrow some of the power cores powering the Thaumanova reactor. Why? Cause we all know Scarlet is a naughty kid of the Pale Tree and resents her destiny being determined. So I guess she wanted to take a look to see what’s there and what needs to be changed.

So off they go (Scarlet and Teo) to the Thaumanova reactor, borrow one of the cores, destabilize it => reactor blows. Scarlet sees the future in the ball, decides some things for herself.

On an unrelated note, Scarlet’s also using the personal teleporter invention from the azura personal story to teleport her armies around (speculation). Probably powers them using same cores from the reactor too.

So, I think most likely the fractal will be about how Teo and Scarlet came for power cores and that’s when it all blew.

Considering Fractals are alternate reality snippets (again see WoodenPotatoes videos), we’ll probably be tasked with preventing the reactor from blowing. Even if we succeed our reality won’t change.

That’s my best guess :P Sorry, original poster. mhaaha

in Living World

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

I’m not a fan of using the Fractal System as it exists as a delivery method for lore at all. But, that said, if it is going to be used as one, Scarlet should absolutely not be inluded.

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I don’t understand why people keep going on about Fractals and lore. Is there something huge I’m missing here? What lore or story was put forward by any of the existing fractals? Dulfy was never in Ascalon and as far as I know neither was Ashym. Why would anyone think fractals are for lore or story? How could we play through all of GW1 and never come across either of these characters if they were in any way important?

What did we learn about Tyria with the Aquatic fractal? That krait sacrifice people and that giant jellyfish exist?

What do we learn about Canthan history with the Solid Ocean fractal? It doesn’t depict any significant historical events or have any real consequences for the world.

Where in Tyria does the Mossman exist? I don’t immerse myself in norn culture very much but I don’t recall anything like him ever, even if I did, what makes him any different from a grumpy old man of the wild who hates trespassers and ends up getting killed by them when they don’t get off his front lawn?

Is everyone else playing a different version of the game from me? Fractals are non-canon scenarios without any stories or story consequences, kind of like art (make this cool looking thing) meets game design (these are cool mechanics we can try) without the limitations of needing to tie it into the story.

As much as I dislike Scarlet, adding her to the fractal would actually add a story to something that doesn’t really have one.

Playing Devil’s advocate here (I too strongly dislike Scarlet’s presence in GW2) it would make a lot of sense to include her in the Thaumanova fractal update. The other two fractals being added are Molten Facility and Aetherblade Retreat, but they likely won’t be identical to their first incarnations. Both of these dungeons are linked to Scarlet but we never saw her side of those scenarios. We never saw how she manipulated the Molten Alliance and we never saw her interactions or involvement with the Aetherblades. Maybe the general theme for the entire fractal update will finally show case some of the hidden plot points which helps tie everything together. Scarlet is worried players might discover some things about her by playing through these fractal scenarios so she interferes with the fractal to keep her secrets hidden. Maybe Scarlet’s future involves the Crucible of Eternity (the Living Story is being used to revamp dungeons and Scarlet is known to already be working with the Inquest) and she was previously involved in the Thaumanova Reactor and she wants to hide something, or her current involvement with the Crucible of Eternity means she needs to obtain something from the Reactor before it exploded.

I don’t like Scarlet but I would experience petty glee if she disappointed some of the blind fanboyish love the Thaumanova fractal has as some important event in Tyria. On the less petty side, fleshing out past events is something that Fractals have the unique ability to do. Some of the issues I have with Scarlet could be alleviated if they take this opportunity to tell her side of the story in the past.

in Living World

Qawsada.4251

snip

WoodenPotato is more of a theorist than an actual loreist, considering most of this video is basically analyzing or assuming something that involve with the current event. That being said, I would rather have the Inquest and Kudus himself presented in this fractal than having Scarlet involve. It would make more sense, bring more information about the Kudus and his exploit, and Kudus is a much better villain than Scarlet would ever be. Hell, if you did the Weather Changing Personal story for the Asura branches, he even act like a personal nemesis.

snip

Blah, so Scarlet kept running away after we total her army and hideout a gazillion time, all the while, removing a path for each dungeon just to give Scarlet her own. That does not sound like progress at all.

in Living World

Posted by: Havvy.4897

Havvy.4897

I’d rather see Scarlett than Kudu in a Fractal. Kudu was really a quite boring villain for me, but while people don’t like Scarlett, you only really care about the lore the first time you do something…but being able to kill a character you don’t like over and over again? Sounds more fun than killing that jellyfish.

in Living World

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

@Shiren: The Crucible of Eternity is supposed to be destroyed in all of the explorable paths (never mind that you can repeat them…). The Living Story is already getting a bit silly with ArenaNet’s current policy of claiming that it’s simultaneous with whatever part of the personal story you’re up to (regardless of whether that’s right at the start or whether you’ve finished it entirely), but you can’t really have Scarlet shenanigans with one path while the other paths are involving the facility being put on self-destruct and the players escaping in the nick of time before it blows.

TA kinda works because the Nightmare Tree storyline still leaves the Arbor intact, and the Aetherblade path doesn’t interact with the Nightmare Tree storyline in any meaningful way, nor does it need to beyond the observation that the Nightmare Court has granted Scarlet use of a section of their hideout in exchange for… whatever they’re getting in return.

I like Trahearne.

I like Trahearne’s personality as written and his story. His voice acting certainly doesn’t do him any favours though.

From what I’ve seen, msot of the Trahearne hate is Kormir syndrome (players being jealous of an NPC playing a role they felt entitled to, when there are good reasons why the NPC has that role instead of the PC – in this case, because the player being actually in charge of the Pact would be a strategy game) and people jumping on the bandwagon.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Living World

Qawsada.4251

I’d rather see Scarlett than Kudu in a Fractal. Kudu was really a quite boring villain for me, but while people don’t like Scarlett, you only really care about the lore the first time you do something…but being able to kill a character you don’t like over and over again? Sounds more fun than killing that jellyfish.

Because having explosion and acting like a Joker ripoff is consider a genius antagonist in this day and age. I wouldn’t consider Kudu being boring seeing that he balance all his plan, his screentime, and his action while not taking it from either the PC or Zojja and following within the lore. I care about the lore more than enough to rather have the Inquest involved with the reactor than having that weed in it instead. Having a weed run away a gazillion time in the world event and in the story isn’t too appealing at all.

From what I’ve seen, msot of the Trahearne hate is Kormir syndrome (players being jealous of an NPC playing a role they felt entitled to, when there are good reasons why the NPC has that role instead of the PC – in this case, because the player being actually in charge of the Pact would be a strategy game) and people jumping on the bandwagon.

They only care about godhood and that is about it. Comparing Kormir to Trahearne does not justice at all since Kormir is a completely different character and the only source of Kormir being this green was that stupid joke video that people thought it was canon.

in Living World

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

[…]

While I agree with all that you said, here’s the reality: Thaumanova will be about Scarlet Briar or at the very least another do-goody-two-shoes Sylvari. If it’s not Scarlet or Canach another Sylvari will be created for the fractal. Do I like that fact? No. I accept it and move on – just like I ignore trolls in map chat; I ignore Sylvari NPCs.

My prediction: Scarlet was studying at the reactor as part of her course at the Rata Sum colleges. Edit: It blew up during her attempt to see the eternal alchemy due to the power draw of the experiment.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

(edited by zamalek.2154)

in Living World

Qawsada.4251

[…]

While I agree with all that you said, here’s the reality: Thaumanova will be about Scarlet Briar or at the very least another do-goody-two-shoes Sylvari. If it’s not Scarlet or Canach another Sylvari will be created for the fractal. Do I like that fact? No. I accept it and move on – just like I ignore trolls in map chat; I ignore Sylvari NPCs.

My prediction: Scarlet was studying at the reactor as part of her course at the Rata Sum colleges. Edit: It blew up during her attempt to see the eternal alchemy due to the power draw of the experiment.

And one of the reason why I made this thread is to acknowledge the problem before it happen. The fractal might have potential of exploring the asura and the inquest. The way I see it, does not need that mary sue salad added into the mix, but with event like that Krait Tower happening, I rather complain about it now.

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

Do we even know what year it happens?
Do we even know that Scarlet is “born”?
Do we even know that Sylvari exists at all?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

Did Sylvari even exist when Thaumanova blew up?

Guess it doesnt matter. Scarlet would find a way.

……Now I’m envisioning her popping up in all the other Fractals. Randomly tripping people in the Swamp… booting people into the lava in the Volcano… petting the Champion bunny in the crazy Asura one…

That’s how we should “defeat” her… since we likely wont be allowed to actually eliminate her as a threat. Shunt her into the Fractals where we can ignore her existence for the rest of the game’s lifespan.