Living Story Lore in-game, not on website

in Living World

Posted by: Illi.3647

Illi.3647

First of all, don´t know if this is better in the Sugestions sub-forum or here, in case I got it wrong just redirect this post. Also, if this was already addressed in another thread, forgive me, but I didn´t find such

So, to the point…I like concept of living story, I really do. I especially like how you linked the Zephyrites with Glin, it is good to know that the older lore is expanded upon and the updates are not just standalone episodes. The Zephyrite diary, about how they found Glint and used her, it was great. But. Why this was on a website and not in game? This disconnects the experience a little. As I see it, it would be better to make one book that fell from the Sanctum by accident, or several pages, scattered by the wind like crystals are, so that our characters could actually read it. It´s a beautyful bit of lore and it would be even more strong, if we could read it in game, not on site (and not everyone is reading that stuff too!).
Same goes for the Flame and Frost (the Braham and Rox stories). Why not put a diary of that norn that was there when Braham´s father was dying, tell the story from his angle and put the book into the Cragstead? (Or North Nolan Hatchery for Rox´s story).
Finding bits of lore like that in the world and maybe in not that accessible places is great and rewards exploration too. It´d feel that more special to the person who finds it and reads it. Like the books in Ebonhawke, that tell the story of it´s founding. Why not do it that way?
I know that not everyone could find it, and while it´s on the website, it´s accessible to everyone, but I bet that the transcription would be on wiki right on the other day that the patch hits.
Long story short – I think we should find the Lore in-game, not on a website and I hope I´m not alone in this. If someone of the devs is listening here, please, consider doing this, or do tell what is the reason you prefer it the way it is. Thanks!

in Living World

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

I totally agree. They can do those website and blog blurbs if they want, maybe it draws players into the game. BUT also put them into the game. Put in a book on a bench somewhere that I can read in-game. Certainly not hard and it adds alot to the atmosphere.

If the story is written from a perspective that doesnt make sense in the book that just sits there (Rox’s background story for example) then put in report write-up from a foreman that you can find on Rytlock’s shelf or the like that details the events from another perspective.

Bottom line, add more detailing to the world. More little story bits, npcs conversations, npcs recognizing the player based on prior PS and LS chapters, etc.

in Living World

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

There is no reason why it cant be both in the game and on the website.

in Living World

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

They talked about putting books in game that players would read to find out lore about stuff.

Anet should totally put that in.

in Living World

Posted by: Vahkris.6847

Vahkris.6847

Maybe they haven’t developed the book UI…honestly the way they have book items in-game right now really doesn’t work very well. They need something like the book UI in GW1.

The only other thing I can think of is that these stories are only meant to give background info to the player, but aren’t actually supposed to be readily known by the characters in-game.

in Living World

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

They talked about putting books in game that players would read to find out lore about stuff.

They started doing it somewhat. There’s 20-something books in Ebonhawk that explain the Ebonhawks departure from EotN and how they founded Ebonhawk near the crystal desert. It was added….last week maybe (at least the achievement for reading all in one go)?

in Living World

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

They started doing it somewhat. There’s 20-something books in Ebonhawk that explain the Ebonhawks departure from EotN and how they founded Ebonhawk near the crystal desert. It was added….last week maybe (at least the achievement for reading all in one go)?

Really? Great news! Thanks for the info!

in Living World

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

I think they started making detailed descriptions of the Living Story because during Flame and Frost, nobody new what the heck was going on. The early parts dragged on so long, that by the time the story advanced, everyone forgot what they did three weeks prior.

The fact that the living story does not progress in a natural, compelling way is the main reason that I avoid it. I hate keep having to Alt+Tab back and forth just figure out what to do next and who so and so is and what his beef if is with whatsis….

Bad story telling. But then again, I’m only really interesting in WvW anymore.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Actually, the books were always there. The achievement was a hidden achievement as well, but it was only in last week’s update that it became an “official” achievement.

in Living World

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

Next

We have more than one type of employee at the company. No matter how much the content designers can add to the world, there’s always going to be resources dedicated to building supplemental content for the web site. It’s not a matter of preference; the people who write those lore pieces are taking the time to contribute extra material to the release. I think the only other option would be for them to not do at all.

in Living World

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

We have more than one type of employee at the company. No matter how much the content designers can add to the world, there’s always going to be resources dedicated to building supplemental content for the web site. It’s not a matter of preference; the people who write those lore pieces are taking the time to contribute extra material to the release. I think the only other option would be for them to not do at all.

There are other options. For one, Keep the Stories comming on the internet, because me and other people like reading them when we aren’t neck deep in the game somewhere. I like reading that ‘supplemental’ content.

As far as in-game goes,….as serious as you guys are about your backstory and lore, the in-game presentation of it is is scattered and disorganized. In some areas, you’ll find books and other stuff scatered around, and you can get a pretty good idea of the story. In other areas, you know next to nothing about it other than the name of the area. Some of the backstory conflicts with each other, which is fine, since every other fantasy game / novel in existence does that anyways.

A Suggestion that I would like to make for future Living Story content….(I’ll leave it here, since this thread is in the living story part of the forums anyways)

Make a System like the Codex entries that exists in Dragon Age : Origins and Dragon Age II. If we are running around, and we find a book/scroll/etc. Create an entry from that book in a Lore Tab inside of the Hero Panel, so we can go back to it and read it whenever we want to.

When we find these books, maybe we could have an in-game date that corresponds to when it was written, using any of the calender systems in the game. We could come across an old Canthan Scroll, and the date it was written is in the Canthan Calender, but we come across an Elonian book, and its date is by Dynastic Reckoning. Most of the stuff we find in Tyria would naturally be by the Mouvelian Calender.

Maybe instead of finding books all the time we purchase a few of them from scholars and smart people.

Other ways to make an entry would be to meet a specific person or organization/guild and have a lore entry made for that.

Also Organize the Lore according to whatever it is about, Geography, People, Monsters and Races, Notable Bosses, Religion, Elder Dragons, Historic Characters, Entries on Legendary weapons, Major events, Guilds, bits of story and lore (like what’s the whole story beind some of the ruins inside the jumping puzzles), etc.

Also when we find these books, don’t just have a single book we find for a single entity or event. For Example, there are atleast three different versions of Melandru in the game. Let us come across a modern human book written on the goddess that was written in 1320 AE, and make that a seperate entry, but let us come across a different point of view, like, we find an old tablet somewhere in Ascalon, and it’s the Charr’s original veiw of Melandru, dated for like 500 AE or something. Then, later, we come across something that ends up being the Quaggan’s view of the Goddess, who believe she is seperate from their goddess Mellaggan, but everyone else thinks they are the same being. Maybe we find a book that explains the Asura’s point of view and how she fits into the eternal Alchemy. Or, we come across an Old Canthan Scroll on the beach at Lion’s Arch, and it tells of their belief that Melandru was killed by the Jade Wind or something.

Scattering these books, scrolls, etc. all over Tyria would also give people a reason to re-explore an area that they haven’t been to in six months or more.

Yeah, creating this lore system would be ALOT of work, and you guys at Anet would probably have to write some backstory that you probably didn’t think of before, but honestly, I would much rather see an Expansion on the Lore and backstory side of the game in a Living Story udpate, rather than playing yet another mini game. The way you present the Lore in the game in its scattered and broken way (as in barely presenting it at all) also seems like an extension or an afterthought most of the time too. Look at how the Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age presents there lore in-game, and it is lightyears ahead of what you have currently.

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

in Living World

Posted by: Kreslin.6832

Kreslin.6832

Telling the story outside the game is a very bad idea. It would be much better to have such stories in the game. For example in Morrowind we have a lot of books in the game which we can read. Why don’t you do the same thing?

If your other option, not to do at all, I would say – so be it. But that would be egoistically, because there are people who may like how you are doing. I’m just saying my personal feelings about what you are doing.
Telling the story outside the game is ruining the whole in-game atmosphere. I understand if it’s a book like Destiny’s Edge, but not some background thing from events in which we participated.

But finding such stories in game, like a book or the notebooks, that’s how I would like to find out about this stories.

For example, you are wondering somewhere in Tyria, and accidentally find a notebook. For example it’s a Braham’s notebook, with illustrations, or without illustrations. That would be more interesting and will help to increase in-game atmosphere.

But what you are doing right now, telling this mini-stories outside from the game… I haven’t even read them because it’s not interesting, to read such stories outside from the game. It’s not helping to feel the in-game atmosphere when it lies on some website. Not helping at all. It’s definitely not what I was expected.

Seize the day.

in Living World

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

If lore content was being communicated in game, then players would see this content as actually supplementary. The problem that needs to be addressed is the lack of effective telling in the living world – such that these website extras are all that lore nerds have to cling too. If you are saying there is no possible way to improve the in game story telling for the temporary events, then that is very disappointing. Take a look at wooden potatoes latest video on the living story (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wwjqkE8Ncyg , staring at 16:30) he spends a big chunk of time talking about how lore is not effectively communicated. Is there really nothing that could be done to give us more and better communicated lore?

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

in Living World

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

Previous

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

I’m not saying that we can’t make improvements to the living world story telling. I’m saying that we should get as much storytelling into the game as possible, but I see no need to dismiss the lore blog posts just because they’re not in the game.

in Living World

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

Ah I see, thank you for the clarification. I do not believe the OP was trying to dismiss those online posts – they are a welcome addition! I think that since lore is really not getting through to the players it seems like these posts are the main lore story telling strategy. With that in mind, the objection was that website content should not be the main avenue for giving juicy lore details. If that is not the case, then somewhere along the way the lore that is in game is getting lost, or is not as meaty as these journal entries.

In the wooden potatoes video he makes a recommendation that we have a living story tab that is similar to our personal story tab, which would track the narrative of the living story. Something like that could really help players see the full arc of the story – mail tends to get deleted, and even if I wanted to keep them all my mail would get full. In any case keep these website tidbits coming! They are neat

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

(edited by rfdarko.4639)

in Living World

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I’m not saying that we can’t make improvements to the living world story telling. I’m saying that we should get as much storytelling into the game as possible, but I see no need to dismiss the lore blog posts just because they’re not in the game.

I love that the short stories and other snippets are released on the website. This gives me something to do while I’m at work or on the train or whatever.

However, I do think that many players miss out on the content simply because visiting the official website is not part of their gaming routine. (I am like that with most games I play!)

What I found find ideal would be a representation of the additional content both on the website and in game. This thread has a rather nice mock-up that shows how to integrate website content into the hero panel. It would be possible to implement it in a generic way that even pulls the info from your web server automatically.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/Use-personal-story-system-for-living-story

This suggestion has come up a few times (maybe you’ve seen it) and I seem to remember that it’s a popular suggestion.

in Living World

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

It’s a matter of false dichotomy. People think stories come at the cost of in-game stuff, but obviously that’s not true. Development companies nowadays ain’t just coders anymore. There’s more than meets the eye.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Krilik.3692

Lord Krilik.3692

I don’t think this is necessarily the issue anyway. The blog posts are great, but we are finding that we have to read them to know what’s going on in-game. The game should be giving a better explanation of the storyline than it is. With the recent changes to the teams however and the lengthened production schedules of each release I am confident we will see improvements. I figured the releases we have seen so far have been more experimental than anything.

Just to make this clearer though. Regarding the recent release, when the merchants arrived there should have been a bit more explanation from Magnus about them, and when we get to the zone we should have been met by Ellen and a Merchant representative who also held a discussion giving us an idea of what was going on. We should then have had a cutscene where Evon is interacting with someone as well to flesh out his being there a bit more, or maybe a discussion with Ellen who gives us some back-story on him after she spots him and wonders what he is up to.

Actually, they don’t necessarily have to be cutscenes, they can be conversations that play every so often like the quaggan’s magic trick, however cutscenes are a little more immersive and would probably do a better job of just giving us the basics. There’s no reason why other looping convos couldn’t happen on top as bonuses to look out for.

So what i’m saying is that the story just needs some clearer presentation in game to start us off, and we can hunt for all the extra bits ourselves (like paying attention to npc’s songs/ soundbites and reading bits of info we find etc and reading the blog posts).

in Living World

Posted by: Lorelei.7809

Lorelei.7809

Why not have the Priory be like a library and just add a book each time the living story content occurs (or after) so in that way it can be a bit of a “historian” and/or so that people can find out about the new bit of the story (ie the Zephyrites or the Aspects). That way, people who missed content could actually catch up to what’s currently going on and feel more immersed. Particularly with the new pace of content coming out o.O I just want to finish my storylines and I can’t even do that with all the content coming out and I am so so lost on the current story!

Like with this content: I saw on the website it started in Dragon Bash (or was it just the upcoming content that started then?). I have no idea how. I totally missed the “story” of Dragon Bash. And btw, why couldn’t it have just been a festival? I don’t want to keep missing story and feel totally lost in-game story-wise whenever I log in. I’d like to be able to go to the Priory and look some things up, catch up, and soak in the new story (but I’m not sure I’ll be able to do that as fast as content is coming out).

(edited by Lorelei.7809)

in Living World

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I am the only one of my friends that reads the forums and website content. If you don’t somehow get the important information in game they will not even know it exists.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Living World

Illi.3647

If we have the options “on website” or “dissmiss”, by all means website it is!
However, like others already said, he website is now the place to go to find out more about lore, there is no way to find some crucial info in game and that´s the problem. I was thinking, and actually this release is from lore standpoint (and from gameplay standpoint too!) handed best, but there is still things missing. Maybe it wasn´t the best thing to make Trek of the Zephyrites the example, since we can get an idea that it has something to do with Glint in game, but still.
What I just wanted to say, you should have more stories in game (I have no problem with some of them being on website but as someone already said, not everyone is reading everything).
You are getting better with every release gameplay-wise, now make it not just Living World, but also Living Story

PS: Thanks for your answer and time Anthony!
edit PPS: Some library, living-story-tab-thingy or something like that is so much needed. I play every release, but people that log in after month are completely lost, the don´t know the characters, what happened the last month and in need of help. Something like that would sure help them

(edited by Illi.3647)

in Living World

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

It’s great to have this information on website, but we want to have this lore stuff ingame too! Actually, I think you should improve Durmand priory. It looks great for this puprose! You can put this information in books and add them to Durmand priory.
Lions arch for trading , Durmand priory for lore!

in Living World

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I can’t speak for everyone, but I enjoy them, they’re nice reads. This latest not only took me back to the book but also further back into Guild Wars and got me wondering if any of Glint’s eggs survived and are still out there, waiting…

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Living World

Posted by: Kreslin.6832

Kreslin.6832

You are willing to do what you want to, but will we like what you are doing, will we admit it or not, that’s another topic for discussion.

Of course I didn’t mean you to dismiss the lore blog posts from websites. But telling such little stories only through websites, it’s not the option. It’s not the in-game story-telling. How am I suppose to know about such thing like Braham’s story if I’m not visiting your website? You must add them to the game as well. Or you mus not, it’s your choice. But I, personally, don’t like this, I want to see such stories in the game.

Such thing like books/notebooks, would be great. The idea of adding to the game book which will tell the past chapter of Living World story, is really great.

Seize the day.

in Living World

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

well there were books planned for GW2 in the past, I wonder why it got scrapped?!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/story-accessible/first#post2432398

The plan was to make lore accessible to the players in the game. So that they could read it again and again, whenever they choose… without leaving the game. I agree, it would be awesome if those blogposts and further lore pieces would be available in some form ingame.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Living World

Posted by: celicynd.9420

celicynd.9420

well there were books planned for GW2 in the past, I wonder why it got scrapped?!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/story-accessible/first#post2432398

The plan was to make lore accessible to the players in the game. So that they could read it again and again, whenever they choose… without leaving the game. I agree, it would be awesome if those blogposts and further lore pieces would be available in some form ingame.

You know, I didn’t know about books… it would certainly make all the book carts throughout Divinity’s Reach make more sense.

I don’t mind the lore on the website, but at the same time, I do rarely look there by default, so I constantly either miss things or have to actively remind myself. It seems that while putting it there is a good idea, putting some sort of interface in game so that people can read in game also would be a good idea.

I really do like the idea of collecting lore books, though we’d have to have some sort of separate inventory/bank space for it so it doesn’t clog up my already clogged bank vault space. hehe.

in Living World

Chrispy.5641

@celicynd

Which is why I suggested that finding these books automatically makes an entry in a seperate Lore tab on the hero panel, kind of like how the personal story tab is set up (which adds entries whenever we complete a personal story step.)

Speaking of which, we should have stuff like that for dungeons and living story content too so we can go back and read an overview of those stories and what we already did and learned in those parts of the game.

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I really do like the idea of collecting lore books, though we’d have to have some sort of separate inventory/bank space for it so it doesn’t clog up my already clogged bank vault space. hehe.

something like that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbmx9cKAidw

that’s what I’m talking about. They already had those books in the game, skillbooks where you could get your skillpoints. Ree was probably talking about those, with an additional lore-component I suppose.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

(edited by Marcus Greythorne.6843)

in Living World

Chrispy.5641

I’m kind of wondering what the reason was that Anet removed them from the game… Bugs? Too much graphic resources were wasted? Maybe people playing in Beta didn’t like the fact that they were running around the world collecting books that wasted inventory space? People were getting attacked in the middle of combat and couldn’t see because they were in the middle of a cutscene? It made people invulnerable while watching the cutscene, and it ended up being an exploit instead?

I kind of want to see something like those youtube videos in the game, but I don’t want to go into a cutscene that comepletly blocks my view of whats going on in the rest of the game. I like not dying, unless I know about it and it was my fault. Maybe let us see the Model, Like how the weapon and armor preview window works? Or if that wastes too much resources, maybe show us some cool concept art of those creatures instead, as well as the lore that goes with it?

I also want to see Lore that talks about the Locations and Religion/Mythology in the game as well, not just a Bestiary of monsters.

For those that TL;DR everything I have written so far….I just want more Lore In-Game, But don’t remove any of the Supplemental content from the website either. Those are just as necessary to draw people into the game!

in Living World

Posted by: Chris.6105

Chris.6105

I dont have anything against the blog posts, but it would be really nice to have some way to get an overview ingame, only text is OK for me.

I do not remember, what was before Flame and Frost. I remember Flame and Frost well and i liked it. Next i remember Ellen Kiel and Canach, I do not understand the story so well like Flame and Frost, but i got most of it. Next are the Pirates, there was something with human nobility, but I am not too sure, I did the dungeon once, but I also do not remember so well. Furthermore, the inquest Asura were part of the pirates, but arent the pirates robbers of all races while the inquest are only interested in science without looking at ethics? I am a casual and I enjoy lore. Even if it is only a NPC telling me the lore of living world in a nice way (or linking me to blog posts), but to research the lore with the wiki is no fun at all.

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

exactly what Cris described; it’s just difficult to keep track of the lore when it is delivered by NPCs who occasionally talk to other NPCs or through several NPCs spread around on a map… or several non-collectible books (Ebonhawke) which you read mostly in a random order.

in Living World

Posted by: Vahkris.6847

Vahkris.6847

I dont have anything against the blog posts, but it would be really nice to have some way to get an overview ingame, only text is OK for me.

I do not remember, what was before Flame and Frost. I remember Flame and Frost well and i liked it. Next i remember Ellen Kiel and Canach, I do not understand the story so well like Flame and Frost, but i got most of it. Next are the Pirates, there was something with human nobility, but I am not too sure, I did the dungeon once, but I also do not remember so well. Furthermore, the inquest Asura were part of the pirates, but arent the pirates robbers of all races while the inquest are only interested in science without looking at ethics? I am a casual and I enjoy lore. Even if it is only a NPC telling me the lore of living world in a nice way (or linking me to blog posts), but to research the lore with the wiki is no fun at all.

Would something like this help if they were in a “Plot Summary” section on each release in the wiki or perhaps on the Living World article, so people could catch up on what they missed/forgot? Or perhaps in a “Last Time in GW2” thread in this subforum?

(in lieu of having something in-game, from a fan perspective?)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1iknsq/where_can_i_find_a_summary_of_the_living_story_to/cb5hp7g?context=3

(edited by Vahkris.6847)

in Living World

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

You know, I didn’t know about books… it would certainly make all the book carts throughout Divinity’s Reach make more sense.

I don’t mind the lore on the website, but at the same time, I do rarely look there by default, so I constantly either miss things or have to actively remind myself. It seems that while putting it there is a good idea, putting some sort of interface in game so that people can read in game also would be a good idea.

I think we need housing where we could put place-able books. Then we could collect the lore and have it on shelves to review whenever we wanted.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Living World

Posted by: Dan.8709

Dan.8709

Just give us a codex like Dragon Age, it’s perfection. That way you could bring back those wonderful texts that were present in the deceased Anet blog. That was a wonderful thing.

“not have it at all”, pfft. Just give us both, no need to get that sentimental about it.

Daniel Cousland – Darkhaven

(edited by Dan.8709)

in Living World

Illi.3647

well, I think that saying “give us codex like in Dragon Age” is easier said than done. But at least something like that would be awesome. That books that have already been in the game would be sufficient,really

in Living World

Posted by: Dan.8709

Dan.8709

I disagree, the books in game are presented in a far from optimal way, not good at all to read, hence it is a dialogue system.
Have you read the original posts from the ANet blog? They were preeety big and they were brilliant, explaining a lot of some races culture, caracteristics etc, similar to DA’s codex models.

Daniel Cousland – Darkhaven

in Living World

Illi.3647

just saying the codex is a prety robust idea to implement…and to have the entries in the lenght of the blog posts…that would be much much work. I´ve read every one of them, so I know exactly what you mean, they were awesome, but maybe too robust for MMO ingame info…but if it was in game, I´ll be glad, really, dont get me wrong
also, I was referencing to the ones that somebody here posted. those were in BWEs and not on launch

in Living World

Chrispy.5641

Exactly what Dan described is my general opinion.

The Way the skill books existed before in beta takes you completely out of the game to show the monster’s model and gives you about two sentences describing that monster. It didn’t look like a very complete system in the youtube videos that showed it, and there has to be a reason why it was removed. However, Anet said yesterday in that blog post that they are going to be adding and expanding the way we get skill points. Maybe this is getting put back into the game? (hopefully its better than what it was. Just having something for the sake of having something is not good enough if the system itself has problems.)

It also sort of reminded me of how Elder Scrolls does their’s (but no monster model). You find a book out in the world, and you can immediatly use it and read it. It actually opens a model of the book and displays the text of the book right there, on the pages. But it pauses the game to do so. Most of the Elder Scrolls Books also just simply tell in-game stories, and little else.

The way Dragon age does it, is that you pause the game and you go into the codex, and you can read some pretty expansive texts on just about anything in the game world. It also has a few in-game poems and stories to read as well. Also as you find new books, it gets automatically added to the codex instead of wasting a heck of alot of inventory space like Guild Wars 2 used to do in beta with their skill books, and how Elder Scrolls does.

The problem with all three of these systems is that you have to pause/leave the game world in order to read them/ see the models. The thing with Guild Wars 2 is that it’s a persistent world, and the Claw of Jormag isn’t going to wait for you to finish reading the lore and move out of the way before he lands! So, not pausing the game, or not going to a seperate cutscene would be the best way to do it. Doing it like how you read your personal story straight out of the Hero panel would be the best in my opinion, because with that way, you can close the hero panel when the Centaur across the way is shooting arrows at your face! You can just go slaughter him, then continue reading on top of his corpse.

Even if it just shows a piece of art, and has a relatively short length like the personal story stuff would be more than enough for me. And At the very least, we should have stuff like this for the Living Story and Dungeons as we complete them! That should have been in the game from the start.
(TL;DR….Man…I can’t write a short post if my life depended on it! sry!)

in Living World

Posted by: Caerulei.7159

Caerulei.7159

I actually really like the written pieces! And it’s not like they are a case of either-or, if they were not written on the website we would have never seen them. The argument is similar to saying “There should be no books because that lore should be all accessible in the game!” They are called extras for a reason! And tonnes of other mmos post these all the time.

I do understand some of the frustration over living story (especially since most of us have finish the overall great personal story) but I see the living story definitely improving!

Encharrneer of first Foundation then Chronicles of Tyria.

in Living World

Posted by: Zil.3071

Zil.3071

having a lore section/tab in game will bring the game to a whole new level baby! depth lv9000+