Re: Rox's recent curious mail

in Living World

Posted by: BatsLoveCaves.5768

BatsLoveCaves.5768

Seriously? Instead of addressing the obvious problems with Tequatl and the new uber-difficult (i.e., frustrating) content, we get a thinly veiled in-game mail from an NPC that implies that we need to build larger guilds?

What about solo players? What about casual players who can’t dedicate the time to one? What about the promise at launch to make the game solo friendly?

I never had to be part of a large guild in the first game and I’m not going to start now. Zerging around in a mindless horde all day long is not fun to me. It may be to some people – and that’s fine. But that isn’t the case for the entire playerbase.

I refuse to be part of a large guild and I have good reasons. The amount of wangst, racism, sexism, personal issues, disorganization and drama llamas that pervade them preclude me from ever joining one ever again (and yes, I have tried many of them).

I have always played MMO’s with small, friendly groups of people to go on adventures with. The 5-man party system for dungeons hit the nail on the head and feels right. But now we can’t even survive with a full group in the latest content.

And as for starting a large guild of my own, I must also decline. If I wanted to be a babysitter, I could do it in real life for actual money.

(edited by BatsLoveCaves.5768)

in Living World

Posted by: Illi.3647

Illi.3647

For one, you can´t use mindless horde in Tequatl fight…this mindless horde will either die or fail.
As for Nightmare Tower, I was doing it with couple of guildies (not even a full party) and we had a blast. Granted, there are other players around but I´d not consider it “zerg content” per se…there are large groups, but they do break up to be not so big.
it´s massively multiplayer game, so do expect to have other players around…I consider myself more of a solo player (even though I do enjoy doing content with frieds more, don´t get me wrong!) and have no problem whatsoever

in Living World

Posted by: Plagiarised.2865

Plagiarised.2865

Yesterday, there wasn’t many people in the tower on my server so I put a call out on the LFG, got four other people and went through the whole tower. Had a blast. Taught everyone the mechanics of the bosses and had great fun. It felt like a dungeon crawler.

in Living World

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Seriously? Instead of addressing the obvious problems with Tequatl and the new uber-difficult (i.e., frustrating) content, we get a thinly veiled in-game mail from an NPC that implies that we need to build larger guilds?
(…).

Lol quited mine 2 months ago, guildless and doing anything i want, so guilds are kinda useless.

Servers can get organized in TS theres no need to be in a guild.
Content does not need a guild.

Guild is only for useless content of titles.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Living World

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

I didn’t think she was trying to get us to have bigger guilds. I thought it was a really weird way of trying to get us to tell our friends to play guild wars 2. Either way it was really strange.

in Living World

Posted by: NinjaChris.9340

NinjaChris.9340

So basically, you want all content in the – literally everything – to either be able to do solo or in a 5 man group? Not to be rude, but get a freaking grip, mate. The game is perfectly solo friendly. You can get to 80 without ever talking to another person. And f you’re skilled enough you can do pretty much anything, even the tower.
If you are saying you want to do fractals solo as well – reality check: you’re playing an MMO – there’s stuff that’s designed for multiple people. If you can’t deal with it, it’s not for you.

in Living World

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

This game is called… Guild Wars……..

yes, they want people to join guilds.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Living World

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

The ‘Guild Wars’ had nothing to do with what you think of as a ‘Player Guild’.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars

in Living World

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

I never got any mail from Rox. What did the mail even say?

in Living World

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

It said:

Hi guys. Remember how I randomly showed up in the Krait tower but didn’t have any lines or anything to say! Well, I still exist.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Living World

Posted by: Zania.8461

Zania.8461

From CDI:

I would love to help field a discussion on the commander system, I know there are a few other topics everyone brought up but I think a good brainstorm about how to improve large scale communication/origination has very large impact on WvW. This is also becoming more important in PvE as we move forward with large scale encounters. So I think it would be a fun discussion as there is a lot of room to improve the current system.

They are moving forward with large scale encounters. To me it sounds like one is to be ready to join a raid guild if they want to do new content.

in Living World

Posted by: GarthDreamWalker.7806

GarthDreamWalker.7806

I believe i have an answer…

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/take-part-in-the-guild-wars-2-great-mmo-migration

Take Part in the Guild Wars 2 Great MMO Migration!

Guild Wars 2>News>Take Part in the Guild Wars 2 Great MMO Migration!
Take Part in the Guild Wars 2 Great MMO Migration!

by The Guild Wars 2 Team on November 27, 2013

The Guild Wars 2 Great MMO Migration has begun, and new citizens from all over are being welcomed to Tyria!

How can you, as a current citizen of Tyria, help the effort? Welcome in new heroes with open arms! It’s not so long ago, after all, that you were new to the world of Tyria – all the excitement can be overwhelming, and having friendly, knowledgeable veterans around can make all the difference. Show how Guild Wars 2 has the best community by providing that stable foundation to incoming citizens. As a bonus, every new citizen that joins the world of Tyria and the adventures within will get an item that grants a significant amount of influence to the guild of their choice.

If Tyria isn’t yet your home, you can move in for free – all you need to do is create a simple video! Pledge your commitment to the world of Tyria, send it in, and find out if you’re one of 5,000 winners of a free copy of the Guild Wars 2 Heroic Edition! Read all the contest details here.

Good luck, and we’ll see you in-game!

http://migration.guildwars2.com/en/

Co-GL of Salad Bros. [SB] of Crystal Desert.

We might be small and outmanned, but we have big tomatoes.

in Living World

BatsLoveCaves.5768

Yesterday, there wasn’t many people in the tower on my server so I put a call out on the LFG, got four other people and went through the whole tower. Had a blast. Taught everyone the mechanics of the bosses and had great fun. It felt like a dungeon crawler.

On two separate occasions, with two separate groups, I had six people up against champions that were blocking progress in the tower. Both times we were wiped out in short order.

The first time was against the champion warlock. I was the last one left and managed to rez everyone and give it another try, but we were wiped again despite trying to get ourselves organized and arrange tactics.

Second time was against the spider. I was tagging along with a 5-man guild that were all on teamspeak with each other. Despite the fact that they understood that the cocoons needed to die quickly – and also that people needed to be rezzed fast – all six of us were wiped in short order.

And of course there was no one else in the tower to call upon for additional help, so our progress was completely frozen.

So, while you may have gotten lucky with events that allow a 5-man to finish, not everyone is so lucky. And solo players – or small guilds – are basically screwed.

(edited by BatsLoveCaves.5768)

in Living World

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

On two separate occasions, with two separate groups, I had six people up against champions that were blocking progress in the tower. Both times we were wiped out in short order.

The first time was against the champion warlock. I was the last one left and managed to rez everyone and give it another try, but we were wiped again despite trying to get ourselves organized and arrange tactics.

Second time was against the spider. I was tagging along with a 5-man guild that were all on teamspeak with each other. Despite the fact that they understood that the cocoons needed to die quickly – and also that people needed to be rezzed fast – all six of us were wiped in short order.

And of course there was no one else in the tower to call upon for additional help, so our progress was completely frozen.

So, while you may have gotten lucky with events that allow a 5-man to finish, not everyone is so lucky. And solo players – or small guilds – are basically screwed.

You can easily walk right past the champ spider. Just use the walkway that goes outside (its to the left of the spider room) instead of the inside path. There’s nothing blocking you from doing so, unlike many of the other events which prevent you moving forward until you do them.

As for the Warlock… eh, I can’t really help you there. I’ve done it a few times with various size groups (usually relatively small) and never had a problem. Didn’t really do anything special, just the usual AoE avoidance and such. The adds during the fight seemed more threatening than the actual boss. Perhaps I was just lucky, though.

in Living World

BatsLoveCaves.5768

You can easily walk right past the champ spider. Just use the walkway that goes outside (its to the left of the spider room) instead of the inside path. There’s nothing blocking you from doing so, unlike many of the other events which prevent you moving forward until you do them.

Right. I realize that now, but the same scenario happened with the wurm today. So go figure.

in Living World

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

Yes it is called Guild Wars… yet they do not allow guilds war on other guilds.

So your point?

Mine point is the title means nothing.

in Living World

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

So your point?

Not so much.
The title ‘Guild Wars’ refers to the historical guild wars, but it does also draw attention to the heavy emphasis placed on guilds in both guild wars 1 and 2.

in Living World

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

So your point?

Not so much.
The title ‘Guild Wars’ refers to the historical guild wars, but it does also draw attention to the heavy emphasis placed on guilds in both guild wars 1 and 2.

The mere fact you can do most of everything without a guild, would counter your argument (not to be rude or offensive, my brother). I do not agree with that the game places emphasis on Guilds, I do not agree a letter from Rox makes it any more relevant.

I am willing to hear an argument where a guild would benefit me in something I really need, but I think it would be difficult.

in Living World

Posted by: Yoji.1420

Yoji.1420

So your point?

Not so much.

The mere fact you can do most of everything without a guild, would counter your argument (not to be rude or offensive, my brother). I do not agree with that the game places emphasis on Guilds, I do not agree a letter from Rox makes it any more relevant.

I am willing to hear an argument where a guild would benefit me in something I really need, but I think it would be difficult.

I believe FlamingFoxx was referring to lore perspective of the games name,
‘The Guild Wars are the three wars among different guilds in the three human kingdoms of Ascalon, Kryta, and Orr’.

Guilds within Guild Wars serve as communities within communities much as guilds within other games do, aside from guild missions, buffs and having regular players to party up with you can play most of the game without a guild.

in Living World

Posted by: LunarNacht.8913

LunarNacht.8913

Wow, getting annoyed by a letter? I found it strange when i logged to an alt with a small guild but getting angry of it? It’s a MMORPG. Of course Anet wants you to join the community. You want to play these with people. Else you just buy RPGs.

There are strange people on the internet again.

in Living World

Elbegast.6970

You want to play these with people. Else you just buy RPGs.

/\ This statement is erroneous. I loathe playing with others. I don’t group. I don’t do dungeons/fractals,etc. However, I play every major mmorpg on the market. Why? Because I like seeing other real people in the gameworld rather than NPCs. Nothing more, nothing less.

So, stop assuming that because we play mmos that we automatically enjoy playing/teaming/grouping with others.

in Living World

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Could anyone please type / link this email from Rox? I must have missed it. And it’d be nice to know exactly what she says.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in Living World

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Could anyone please type / link this email from Rox? I must have missed it. And it’d be nice to know exactly what she says.

“Rox Whetstone

New Arrivals to Tyria

I’ve been noticing a lot of new faces around. It seems like we’ve got ourselves a batch of recent arrivals to Tyria, and as every good soldier knows, it’s bad luck to waste a potential resource.

There’s strength in numbers, and from what I hear, recruiting these folks could really help to boost the influence of any guild that welcomes them in. Besides, you never know when a new ally might come in handy. With all the recent mayhen—Tequatl going beserk, the Toxic Alliance, and all the Scarlet craziness—I know I’d feel better having as many friends around as possible.

—Rox"

From http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractured#Mail (I didn’t get it either)

EDIT: one thing I hadn’t realized before… she now refers to herself as “Rox Whetstone”… does that mean that Rytlock finally accepted her into the stone warband?

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

in Living World

Elbegast.6970

That letter is mildly disturbing. Almost cult-like.

Maybe it’s just me, idk. I don’t do guilds or anything else that requires the formation of an organized party. I like seeing people out there. I just don’t like grouping with them.

in Living World

BatsLoveCaves.5768

Wow, getting annoyed by a letter? I found it strange when i logged to an alt with a small guild but getting angry of it? It’s a MMORPG. Of course Anet wants you to join the community. You want to play these with people. Else you just buy RPGs.

There are strange people on the internet again.

Obviously you didn’t read my entire post or understand what I was trying to say.

I do like playing with groups – small groups. For the first year of Guild Wars 2, that was perfectly fine. Now Anet has suddenly changed the game. Now a five-man PUG or a small guild doesn’t cut it, and suddenly you need a 100 slot teamspeak server and 100+ players just to finish a single event (i.e., Tequatl), or 15-20ish people to comfortably defeat a living story chapter (i.e., Tower of Nightmares), when this was never necessary before.

My problem is that they are effectively telling us that large guilds are NECESSARY going forward. And the reason I’m irritated is because it shouldn’t be on the PLAYERS’ shoulders to pick up the slack and change their playstyles simply because Arenanet has decided to make its content too hard and unmanageable for most players to complete.

The actual problem lies in the fact that the latest content excludes casual players and small guilds and provides no alternative. And the only reason we’ve been given for why things have changed is “the players asked for harder content”.

But did we? All of us? I don’t recall being consulted. Do you?

in Living World

Posted by: BabylonX.8745

BabylonX.8745

Look all. The letter coincides with the MMO migration they are pushing at the moment. It’s a heads up stating they expect an influx of new players and recruiting might be good for a while. They are not forcing people to join guilds. If people don’t like group events, then there is tons of stuff that they can do solo.

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Last night, a bunch of people beat Teq on my server. It’s the first time I’ve done so and I found it to be a lot of fun. I enjoyed the encounter and hope they don’t change it.

in Living World

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

My experience with guilds has not been so good. At first I join sit back and not say much taking in how the guild is ran and the behavior of the community, and it has been far less than stellar so far. So I leave.

I obviously am not speaking for all large guilds, but the ones I have join..

%100 Rep Mandatory
If you’re not downing Tequatl on a weekly basis in a PvX/PvE large guild, there’s no point w/%100 rep.

If you allow your vocal minority to spew politics, religion, racism, or those idiots hating on America…you know the ones “merica”.
I will not bother be in association of garbage like that.

Family guilds w/their kids…teamspeak, vent, mumble, gchat etc…
Please advertise prior to recruitment, rather play/socialize w/adults, not a service babysitting your 10-15yr old.

Guild content
As long as we have communities like TTS that treat their players well and only require rep during Tequatl kills, player like me don’t have to bother w/big guilds.
Guild missions, tried them…pass.

Got my own guild running, great decision, consisting of…just me. Guild bank, Economy & Architecture 2. Saving for Economy 3.

So atm I wouldn’t worry to much about it op.

JQ Druid