The Molten Facility is tough!

in Living World

Posted by: hluill.2790

hluill.2790

Okay, so flame away, or just give some advice.

I mainly just duo with the girlfriend. The other night we tried to join a group and were told that it would be too hard for us.

Last night I was on my 27 Thief and joined a PUG and was downed several times during each encounter. The group disintegrated about five encounters in.

Holy < expletive deleted>, the <expletive deleted> dungeon was <expleletive deleted> tough!

I was getting killed (not downed) in two or three hits, repeatedly. And I couldn’t respawn while in combat…

I didn’t have 80th-level picks so the nodes were frustrating. Not sure what to do with the gems.

I couldn’t even hold my own with the non-veteran mobs…

I am going to try it again on my 80th warrior, but I am not sure if I can afford the possible repair bills.

If all dungeons are like this then this is yet another game that has content I will never see.

in Living World

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

Why would you go on your 27 thief if you had an 80 warrior? You dont even have all your skills yet.

No you cant just strong arm everything in the dungeon if your a group not made of heavy armor, you have to use your skills to deal with mobs then.

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

(edited by Warruz.8096)

in Living World

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

You’ve already seen it, you just werent up to the challenge. Largely due to going with an upscaled character, lacking traits and skills.

I wouldnt call the dungeon hard or easy, but it relies alot on awareness and positioning that takes some getting used to. You really can avoid almost all damage if you focus on that. So maybe you didnt try that enough because in most of the game it isnt as big a factor.

And you posted this in the wrong forum.

in Living World

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

I think you will find the Molten Alliance is easier than most dungeons. Im pretty sure they intentionally made the difficulty easier so it was more “accessible” to everyone. That said, there are some mechanics you need to know. I don’t think dungeons in general really cater to the casual gamer and even though they would come to complete them given enough attempts, I don’t think its worthwhile unless you want to say hey I acheived this. I don’t know why Anet didn’t have difficulty settings with these so they were accessible to all. I guess FoTM did in a sense, but still its not exactly what I would have done.

in Living World

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

besides CoF this is the easiest dungeon around you just had a crappy party.

in Living World

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Why would you go on your 27 thief if you had an 80 warrior? You dont even have all your skills yet.

This is a very good point ^^

Last night I was on my 27 Thief and joined a PUG and was downed several times during each encounter. The group disintegrated about five encounters in.

I get downed plenty (I mean A LOT) but that’s normal. Healing each other is very very much part of the experience.

Sounds like you had bad luck with your PUG though.

I am going to try it again on my 80th warrior, but I am not sure if I can afford the possible repair bills.

Through the drops from the dungeon you will always come out on top. Yes, you’ll have to repair (on some runs more than others) but you pick up so much stuff on the way (and from 2 chests) that it is impossible to not make money in the process.

If all dungeons are like this then this is yet another game that has content I will never see.

The other dungeons are (to me, anyway) harder and not nearly as fun.

Maybe dungeons just aren’t for you!

However. My boyfriend and I duo mostly, too. If we can do it, I’m sure you can do it. I’ve pugged with characters of levels 33+, and we managed fine. The only groups that I failed with (people ragequitting, etc.) were groups that failed to collaborate. Level, gear and class are not as important as people will make you think; not compared to communication, collaboration, tactics and a good attitude.

That being said, of course it will be a lot easier on a level 80 warrior than a level 27 thief :P

If you would like to still run the dungeon, my boyfriend just volunteered both of us to take you (and your partner, if she likes) through the MF. Let us know.

Edit: We’re on Tarnished Coast (NA).

(edited by Pixelpumpkin.4608)

in Living World

Posted by: hluill.2790

hluill.2790

I appreciate the replies. Maybe dungeoning is not for us, which is a shame.

By the by, I took the 27th Thief because the announcements about the dungeon indicated that it was inclusive, not exclusive. From the responses here and the map chatter, I guess the official hype is less than accurate. Another reason I took the thief is that it always seemed like everyone has a ‘zerked warrior and I thought I’d be different. My issues with thieves is a rant for another time.

Thanks for the invite , Pixelpumkin, not sure when you log times are, mine are sporadic at best.

Oh, and in which forum should I have posted this?

(edited by hluill.2790)

in Living World

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

Yeah, sounds to me like you just had a bad group overall. I’ve been through several times with groups of varying experience levels (and all at least partial pugs with no communication outside of Party chat). The roughest time basically ended with myself and another person duoing the final bosses because the others couldn’t avoid the bosses attacks. You getting downed, even frequently, shouldn’t have stopped a whole group from finishing the encounters.

in Living World

Posted by: Kiriwar.7382

Kiriwar.7382

Sounds like a bad group. The worst time we had was a bunch of med-light armours, had crap DPS and we went down like flies. We persevered though but man it was hard. I was genuinely surprised that it was that bad since I’ve never wiped on the bosses before then.

Also, I wouldn’t take a 27 thief since you don’t have all your skills. I bring my 80 to clear the dungeon and then switch to another char once I open the chest.

Like swords, sorcery and misfortune?
Read Wingless, a fantasy comic about a knight’s journey, here!

in Living World

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I appreciate the replies. Maybe dungeoning is not for us, which is a shame.

By the by, I took the 27th Thief because the announcements about the dungeon indicated that it was inclusive, not exclusive. From the responses here and the map chatter, I guess the official hype is less than accurate. Another reason I took the thief is that it always seemed like everyone has a ‘zerked warrior and I thought I’d be different. My issues with thieves is a rant for another time.

Thanks for the invite , Pixelpumkin, not sure when you log times are, mine are sporadic at best.

Oh, and in which forum should I have posted this?

Find a guild, not just random pugs, but a guild that helps people to learn how to do dungeons. Find people willing to guide you through the experience. I’ve probably ran more dungeons with newbies than anyone else I know, and in many cases, I’ve seen stories like yours.

Even one of my guildies are complaining about the MF dungeon until she ran it with me. Not that I’m special in this. There are many people in this community who take great joy in helping people get started on areas of the game they may not ever get to try.

And you know, you might not like it. But with a group of people who are going slow and explaining things and showing you the ropes….maybe it wouldn’t have been so frustrating.

in Living World

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

I found the experience rather enjoyable and quite easy. And I don’t fancy myself as a good player. The design was extremely well thought out. Mechanics were introduced bit by bit in a very nice learning curve. The mechanics were fun and new, too. The only annoying thing were the ton of pointless trashmobs as time sinks. All in all still more fun than most other dungeons. But that differs with taste of course.

in Living World

Posted by: CrimsonDX.4821

CrimsonDX.4821

I actually found this dungeon to be rather enjoyable. I usually hate dungeons, but this one I went through four times with my guild. Even the boss eventually got easier. My first time doing it, we wiped easily 10-15 times. The next day however, my group did it without wiping once. The next two runs after that only had one wipe each.

in Living World

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

They open a subforum for each living story arc where the dungeon was discussed at length, this subforum is for more general living story topics.

Anyway to your specific situation, not sure if you got the dungeon done before it was removed but even if not, dont let that discourage you. I do suggest you find an casual but larger guild, that way you’re not forced to participate in anything but will get opportunities to check out dungeons.

in Living World

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

By the by, I took the 27th Thief because the announcements about the dungeon indicated that it was inclusive, not exclusive. From the responses here and the map chatter, I guess the official hype is less than accurate. Another reason I took the thief is that it always seemed like everyone has a ‘zerked warrior and I thought I’d be different. My issues with thieves is a rant for another time

Well the dungeon is gone but i just want to be clear about one part of this post.

Scaling can only do so much, it will not make up for your lack of simply not having skills and is limited in terms of stats granted ( i believe being upscaled puts you at full greens of that level? ). While yes you can bring anyone if you want but there is a reason the first dungeon is at 30 (you have all your skills and a majority of traits).

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

in Living World

Posted by: Zedrix.2104

Zedrix.2104

I did the dungeon on my lvl 80 and 4 others between 30-40. This dungeon was the easiest in the game so far for a story dungeon.
People seem to over complicate things sometimes as far as mechanics go. Did the dungeon with 5 80s from my guild and they made it so hard. Never did it with them again and just puged it, was a lot easier lol.

in Living World

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

I did the dungeon on my lvl 80 and 4 others between 30-40. This dungeon was the easiest in the game so far for a story dungeon.

This. First time I’ve been in we were a group of randoms, just casuals, no epic gear, nobody played it before. Abolutely no problems until we reached the final boss(es). Took us five attempts to down them then.

I mainly just duo with the girlfriend. The other night we tried to join a group and were told that it would be too hard for us.

That sentence made me giggle (like Quagmire)

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake