The White Mantle Return: A Link to Lore

in Living World

Posted by: Xenophanes.8360

Xenophanes.8360

We have moved the theory to the Lore & Story forum!

UPDATE:
New living world developments have brought up a few things that may be related to our theory! Marjory’s sister may be an important factor and connects Delaqua Investigations directly to Brisban Wildlands, the area we pointed out! Posting here because of Living World relation, and still not completely sure where this theory belongs honestly. XDDD

Upon the advice of others, we have moved the entire theory over to the Lore & Story forum! Much thanks for your interest and time spent reading and discussing our theory! Here’s a link to the theory!

The White Mantle Return: A Theory
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/lore/The-White-Mantle-Return-A-THEORY-SPOILERS

Much Love and we’ll see you in the Lore Forum!

Xenocomplex & SkeletalHorses
Salt Factory (Fort Aspenwood)

(edited by Xenophanes.8360)

in Living World

Posted by: Aethelbert.1497

Aethelbert.1497

I believe you are overthinking it too much. But who knows?

in Living World

Posted by: Blurk.6231

Blurk.6231

It is going to take me a while to read all this but you got my attention. I like the idea. I would say while it isnt wrong to post this in the Living World forum of course, in the lore forum youll get a more in depth discussion as some heavy lore people only visit that and it is good to have their opinion on theories as they kind of know every fact about Tyria… Cough Konig Cough…

+1 for the typing this epos.

EDIT: I see you also linked it there but it is still nicer if it is also posted there in full so it can be quoted easily.

Look beyond the obvious…

(edited by Blurk.6231)

in Living World

Xenophanes.8360

It is going to take me a while to read all this but you got my attention. I like the idea. I would say while it isnt wrong to post this in the Living World forum of course, in the lore forum youll get a more in depth discussion as some heavy lore people only visit that and it is good to have their opinion on theories as they kind of know every fact about Tyria… Cough Konig Cough…

+1 for the typing this epos.

EDIT: I see you also linked it there but it is still nicer if it is also posted there in full so it can be quoted easily.

Thanks much Blurk! Sorry, haha, first time posting and all so I’m not that familiar with this kinda stuff. I’ll try to post it in full in Lore as well. Or maybe I can wait for a friendly mod that can maybe move this there?

What would the best course of action be?

EDIT: Also thanks for the +1 but what’s epos? Haha! *feels a bit noobish for asking

in Living World

Posted by: Blurk.6231

Blurk.6231

While the mods sometimes suddenly are very helpful I wouldnt count on it that they will move this and frankly we couldnt really expect them to cant we? I’d just copy paste this but then in the lore forum. In the thread where you linked it if there hasnt been a reply there yet maybe. Or just make a new thread. It wouldnt bother anyone I think.

Look beyond the obvious…

in Living World

Xenophanes.8360

I believe you are overthinking it too much. But who knows?

Totes overthinking it. 8D Fun fun fun.

in Living World

Posted by: kgptzac.8419

kgptzac.8419

I apologize for not reading through the entire thing… but I am curious, is there any direct or indirect reference to the White Mantle other than “they’ve been in the jungle” and the fact that we are getting a jungle Elder Dragon?

a shard of crystal in the desert.

in Living World

Xenophanes.8360

I apologize for not reading through the entire thing… but I am curious, is there any direct or indirect reference to the White Mantle other than “they’ve been in the jungle” and the fact that we are getting a jungle Elder Dragon?

No direct references. Pure speculation really.

But as for indirect references, you have the title of this patch: “The Battle for Lion’s Arch” which is a call back to an old mission from GW1 with the same name where you fend off waves of White Mantle and Mursaat to restore the monarchy to Kryta.

http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Battle_for_Lion%27s_Arch

(edited by Xenophanes.8360)

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Massively overthinking it – I’ve learnt to never expect a complicated plot in a fantasy mmo. It’s why it was pretty certain before this patch Primordus or Abaddon were not the antagnosit behind the LS – Mordremoth was the “easiest” answer.

However, 100/10 for the speculation and putting forward an enjoyable theory

in Living World

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

One more wrench to throw in the machinery for you:

The Scepter of Orr.

From the GW2 Wiki: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scepter_of_Orr

“The Scepter of Orr is one of two legendary staffs that were created prior to the Exodus of the Gods. The Scepter and its counterpart, the since-destroyed Staff of the Mists, were each given to one of the great nations of the world, although which weapon went were has since been forgotten. The weapons were intended to offer protection, but their power corrupted their bearers and unleashed horrors upon the land. Eventually, the Six Gods were forced to intervene by striking down both kings and sealing each weapon within its bearer’s tomb. Afterward, the Scepter was moved to Orr, where it remained until it went missing just before the the Cataclysm in 1071 AE.

The Scepter next appeared in 1072 AE, when the White Mantle recovered it from Majesty’s Rest and kept it from the invading undead until it was stolen by the Shining Blade from the Temple of the Unseen. As part of their effort to counter the White Mantle, the rebels arranged to give the Scepter to Vizier Khilbron, who was thought to be a survivor of the Cataclysm. In fact, Khilbron was a powerful Undead Lich who wanted the staff so he could control the titans. After Khilbron’s defeat at Abaddon’s Mouth, the weapon was spirited away before it could be destroyed by the volcano. After the defeat of the Great Destroyer, the human necromancer Livia sought out and recovered the Scepter and had it in her possession for some time.

While the Staff of the Mists was known to bend the fabric of the universe to the will of its user, less has been recorded about the Scepter’s powers. Khilbron directed the titans with it and he also claimed that it could be used to control the undead. It was seen influencing souls and the wielder’s energy. Furthermore, Livia, its last known possessor, lived for at least a century and a half after finding it – though whether that is tied to the Scepter is unknown."

Somebody’s got to take over the control of the Risen, right? Especially if Zhaitan isn’t doing it any more.

Level 80 Elementalist

in Living World

Posted by: Dunan Atreides.5436

Dunan Atreides.5436

You should have posted this in the Lore and Story forum, you’d get a better response; no one would say you are overthinking it, people might actually congratulate you for being so thorough, point out a few corrections, and you might get a lore response from a Dev or two.

I feel like the living world forum is a bit too general, so a move would be beneficial for the thread – you guys would get to nerd out with fellow lore-aholics, and people will post replies and thoughts that at least will entertain your thoughts a bit more seriously and thoughtfully.

I for one am glad that there are people who are getting back into the game, and not only that, but fully exploring the lore potential of the game.

in Living World

Posted by: SkeletalHorses.2108

SkeletalHorses.2108

If you are pertaining to the game, in general, then yes, there been. Spoilers But in the human personal story, if you chose the option of “Unknown Parents”, it’ll be revealed that the bandit activity in Queensdale is the remnants of the White Mantle. There are implications that the Ministry (or key members of it) is working with the bandits. So one can put two and two together.

On the other hand, man, we really should’ve posted this on the lore forums, huh. @Xeno

in Living World

Posted by: Cenex.4089

Cenex.4089

I wouldn’t mind seeing a return of the White Mantle, and hopefully the Mursaat. It’s always interesting to have an enemy with a common enemy (the dragons). We’d have two dangerous threats, the dragons and the Mursaat, fight both at the same time, while the Mursaat also fight the dragons.

Or, if not have them as enemies, then set up a betrayal storyline akin to what happened the last time the dragons showed up.

in Living World

Xenophanes.8360

You should have posted this in the Lore and Story forum, you’d get a better response; no one would say you are overthinking it, people might actually congratulate you for being so thorough, point out a few corrections, and you might get a lore response from a Dev or two.

I feel like the living world forum is a bit too general, so a move would be beneficial for the thread – you guys would get to nerd out with fellow lore-aholics, and people will post replies and thoughts that at least will entertain your thoughts a bit more seriously and thoughtfully.

I for one am glad that there are people who are getting back into the game, and not only that, but fully exploring the lore potential of the game.

Much thanks for the advice! I might move this entire theory there upon your advice! Better to do it myself rather than waiting for help.

in Living World

Xenophanes.8360

Entire theory has been moved! Much thanks for your interest and discussion guys! Anymore discussion should go there. <3

in Living World

Posted by: SkeletalHorses.2108

SkeletalHorses.2108

Or, if not have them as enemies, then set up a betrayal storyline akin to what happened the last time the dragons showed up.

Now that you’ve mentioned it, (and I’m well-aware I am prolly overstretching it) one of the reasons why this whole thing made perfect sense to me is because of the overarching themes and throwbacks that appear time and time again in the timelines of GW. Again, there’s the two Battles for Lion’s Arch. The first one paved the way to the weakening of the enemy that lead to their eventual defeat. And the current one (if we bank on this theory), might lead to their return. And even if this theory isn’t true, the current Battle for Lion’s Arch already feels like a subversion of the one from 250 years ago, as another enemy (Mordremoth) is already stirring.

Other parallelisms we’ve noticed are:
• Glint and the Pale Tree (if the Sylvari Minion theory is true, that is)
• The role reversal between the Shining Blade and the White Mantle
• Destiny’s Edge and Destiny’s Edge 2.0
• Then there’s the overarching theme of constantly being uprooted from one’s home (the fall of Ascalon and the eventual move to Kryta, all the Norn/Kodan/Quaggan/Krait/Largos migrations because of the Dragons, Kessex Hills, the current Lion’s Arch, etc)

+
And on a tangential note (picking up from the whole ‘being uprooted from one’s home part’), if we consider the proximity of some key areas like Rata Sum and the Grove to Magus Falls, and the devastation brought about by the awakening of an Elder Dragon, then we can also postulate the possibility of the Asura or the Sylvari being driven out of their homes. Taimi’s story can provide an opening for that (after all, she still hasn’t gone home, and might never get to do so).

But then again, this is just my imagination going wild from the recent events.)

in Living World

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

But as for indirect references, you have the title of this patch: “The Battle for Lion’s Arch” which is a call back to an old mission from GW1 with the same name where you fend off waves of White Mantle and Mursaat to restore the monarchy to Kryta.

Huh, never knew that. Another for the trivia memory bank!

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

in Living World

Xenophanes.8360

Huh, never knew that. Another for the trivia memory bank!

Glad to have helped your trivia bank! 8D

in Living World

Xenophanes.8360

UPDATE:
New living world developments have brought up a few things that may be related to our theory! Marjory’s sister may be an important factor and connects Delaqua Investigations directly to Brisban Wildlands, the area we pointed out!

Posting and bumping here because of Living World relation, and still not completely sure where this theory belongs honestly. XDDD Our theory mostly relates to the Living World so I hope this counts as a worthy topic here.

in Living World

Posted by: kgptzac.8419

kgptzac.8419

I hope if the White Mantles are being brought back, they will be more interesting than the current bandit, inquest etc racial antagonist groups. Their existence doesn’t make a lot of sense anymore… The Mursaats are no more; they have no power over anything.

a shard of crystal in the desert.

in Living World

Posted by: Stramatus.5219

Stramatus.5219

I had an old guildy that theorized the bandits in Kryta were all really White Mantle. He was disappoint when that didn’t pan out.

I would like to see something concerning the White Mantle, Mursaat, the Bloodstone that is in Maguuma Jungle, Scepter of Orr, etc.

Now to go read this lore theory…

Sir Helvidius | Sir Beregond | Proud Ascalonian Humans
“Remember The Searing. We never forget, and never forgive.” – Family Motto

in Living World

Xenophanes.8360

I had an old guildy that theorized the bandits in Kryta were all really White Mantle. He was disappoint when that didn’t pan out.

I would like to see something concerning the White Mantle, Mursaat, the Bloodstone that is in Maguuma Jungle, Scepter of Orr, etc.

Now to go read this lore theory…

Ohhh, I’m happy to hear that we aren’t the only ones interested in the connection between White Mantle and the Bandits! I hear it’s a much talked about connection actually!

I hope you enjoy our theory! 8D