The rebuilding of Lion's Arch

in Living World

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I’m enormously fond of Lion’s Arch, and I dream of the day when it’s back to its former glory. I guess if you look at this in realistic terms, suffish and Stramatus are right: If it’s going to happen, the process would take time. After all, Rome wasn’t (re)built in a day.

I see more workers these days, and hey, CrimeDog, that’s one big rock!

I’m now waiting for the Coliseum Arena >:]

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Living World

Posted by: Harlequin.8593

Harlequin.8593

I seem to recall reading something along the lines of the plan being not rebuilding LA too quickly as that would diminish the effect its destruction had. As far as its final design is concerned I doubt they have it ironed out completely. It’s their chance to rebuild from the ground up, I’d rather they not hash it so I don’t mind the wait so much. You can sort of see hints of the direction they want to take it though, like decentralizing merchants and such which should help with the epic lag some had in the old LA .. Fingers crossed I won’t be eating my words a year from now.

I have a bad feeling about this …

in Living World

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

""From ruin we prosper."
I loved the organic look of LA, but I know it isn’t viable to just be rebuilt into what it was. Built on the hulls and timber of salvaged ships, most of it was burned and splintered during the attack.
Rather than just ask for a repeat, some of the ideas that have been called for by the community could come into play during construction.
Old Lion’s Arch, as a city, did not truly extend beyond the Grand Piazza. The only true places of importance were the Trader’s Forum and Fort Marriner. There was no reason to visit anywhere else except if you really wanted to explore. And there was a lot to explore.
A better layout of services, with certain parts of the city dedicated to events and guild halls. The salvage from The Breachmaker used in the construction of some of these new areas, making the memory lasting in the very foundation of the city.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

in Living World

Posted by: sscripko.5387

sscripko.5387

Well, the workers have all now lost their tools without realizing it. I can’t help but think that if LA had hired the local Sylvari 93 Tree-growers Union, they would have regrown the bridges for you already.

That’s the problem with the non-union labor in LA, they can’t figure out if they have a tool in their hand or not.

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

I agree, that Lions Arch should not be rebuilt too quickly, because that would destroy the gravity and critical impact of the situation, also factors such as supplies, funds, workers, and tools must be taken into consideration, and with that being said, the process should take months… however, the progress is too slow, unrealistically so. Since LA was destroyed and retaken, 8 releases, a total of two months, have passed, and still, it looks as it did when scarlet left it.

I’m not asking for it to be almost complete, but signs of progress and construction should be evident; a mixture of scafolding and tools could be present around wreckage, to either repair or salvage; a giant crane could be under construction near the docks to remove the drill bits from old LA, in an effort to preserve their history; and demolition tools, emplosion bombs and such could be placed in the collapsed arch ways that now block the main city roads. They could even use bits from scarlets drill to rebuild their city as they had previously done with their ships, the citizens of LA appear to be the type to make use of anything and let nothing go to wast.

But to log on after an update to see that the most that has changed, is that there is one less stone in a pile of rubble, or to see that the two wooden bridges/gateways that connect the walls of fort marriner -a simple construct, that should have taken no more than a week to build- are, after a month, still being errected?! That is wayy too slow. they may still be weilding sword, but their mixture of asuran, clockwork, plant, and charr technology, should rival that of our own. I would say that because of their ability to use magic, they have progressed in a different line of technological and scientific advancements than our own, but comparitivly, they appear to live in a somewhat modernized age. so this progress is unaccepatble, unrealistic.

(edited by OtakuModeEngage.8679)

in Living World

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Personally, I’d think it would be great if even after the reconstruction is complete, the city would continue to grow to befit the city of pirates and traders – fill out vacant land, build vertically, more streets, more life, make it a true city. Over the years, it could surpass Divinity’s Reach, bleeding out infrastructure to Gendarran Fields and Bloodtide Coast.

Lion’s Arch is a city of many great memories for us all, and it deserves the very best treatment.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

in Living World

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

you wanna know why it takes so long?
the workers are so dumb that they don’t even know how to use a tool properly, i even have prove.
they hit rock with the side of the pickaxe, not with the pointy part -_-

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: PseudoNewb.5468

PseudoNewb.5468

The Captains Council gets to pick who gets to rebuild the city. It is a sham for which the council only cares about enriching themselves. They are pirates and they are acting no better than the days the pirates pillaged ships on the sea. Magnus is a sucker, and Kiel is quickly learning how to doing absolutely nothing for the citizens can maximize her wealth in her new position. And don’t count on any Sylvari architecture, I’m not even sure they are allowed to be seen carrying any tools in Lions Arch, let alone being allowed near any construction sites.

I hoped that the players of the game could have allied with several groups of craftsmen representing the different races, and we could have a living story of choosing which group to help bash in some hea… I mean persuade the council to be gracious enough to accept help from. I remember (the illusion of) player input was one of the goals of the living story and remember seeing it implemented, in game, with the captain council elections. It would be awesome if there were in game player input that could cause different racial architectures and structures to appear in the city throughout the construction process. I for one, think Lions Arch needs to be reinforced with the strength of iron and steel fortifications and would vouch for Charr intervention first.

Also campaigns with racial craftsmen can be a way to explore the racial situation with Sylvari and a post Scarlet Lions Arch. I know Anet has previously expressed an interest in this area of storytelling.

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: Arianhod.3485

Arianhod.3485

the workers are so dumb that they don’t even know how to use a tool properly, i even have prove.

Lol’d a lot at this, thank you

my 2c on this is: they should rebuild it slowly, maybe a single building at a time (one with every 2 week patch maybe?), so that players may notice it, but not very easily.

It’s a-me, Aria!

in Living World

Posted by: dgenxp.4983

dgenxp.4983

lol your joking right – that would mean they would actually HAVE to release content every 2 weeks….

Frustrated yes, hate this game absolutely not… Been my favourite game since the start just seem they are a little lax sometimes…

in Living World

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

Really? There are actually more workers in LA now?

That’s cool but the problem with subtle changes over long periods of time is that no one notices them. This is nice touch but it’s likely being lost on most players. Personally I would go for adding a big group workers in a single are or something more noticeable.

That’s awesome

But you can’t blame that poor charr, rock doesn’t bleed and scream when you hit it so how can they tell if they’re doing it right?

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

in Living World

Posted by: Arianhod.3485

Arianhod.3485

My point was exactly that for most players the changes would be lost :P isn’t it what happens irl?

As for the 2 weeks (@dgenxp.4983), I just meant it as in “whenenever there’s a patch”, I know the devs can’t upload something every 2 weeks (certainly they won’t implement a patch bi-weekly just a for a building in LA :’D)

It’s a-me, Aria!

in Living World

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

I still hope LA will serve as a sink for all the elder wood spawned by the frantic Foxfire farming. :P

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

(edited by Asmodeus.5782)

in Living World

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I’m enormously fond of Lion’s Arch, and I dream of the day when it’s back to its former glory.

Wouldn’t that require emptying out the bay?

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I still hope LA will serve as a sink for all the elder wood spawned by the frantic Foxfire farming. :P

Actually, prices for Elder Wood has been steadily climbing since Halloween started.

in Living World

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

The really funny thing about that is that this is a bug which is in the game since launch.
This also happens to other players (not yourself) if you see them mining stuff.

in Living World

Posted by: Anyori.4598

Anyori.4598

I’m enormously fond of Lion’s Arch, and I dream of the day when it’s back to its former glory. I guess if you look at this in realistic terms, suffish and Stramatus are right: If it’s going to happen, the process would take time. After all, Rome wasn’t (re)built in a day.

To be honest, Emperor August managed to revamp almost all of Rome… In about 41 years, but Lion’s Arch is smaller than the village that Rome was before it became a powerful player in Italy’s battle for power… And considering game time is a lot faster than real life time…. And considering you’re allied with Genius Asura and Charr who know how to build…. It’s surprising they didn’t even finish much of the bridges connecting different parts of LA….

in Living World

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Well, we’re a few months off from it being a year since Lion’s Arch was attacked (January I believe), and the progress so far seems rather minimal. My own personal hope is to see Lion’s Arch improved from what it was. Previously it was a ruined city of repurposed shipwrecks. Now that its been destroyed, I’d hope the Captain’s Council would decide to take the opportunity to improve the city. Personally I wouldn’t mind seeing racially inspired districts.

It’s also a fantastic opportunity for Guild/Player Housing to make it’s entrance into GW2. Players/Guilds can have an instanced area in Lion’s Arch, a blank slate which they can build up in whatever way they like.

in Living World

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

My personal first order of business would be to rally the troops (boy those workers are slow!) to repair this icon. It just makes me so sad.

Attachments:

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in Living World

Posted by: Akuni.8604

Akuni.8604

My personal first order of business would be to rally the troops (boy those workers are slow!) to repair this icon. It just makes me so sad.

Dunno if you noticed but those workers don’t even know how to use a pickaxe the proper way. I mean, look at that Charr worker near the old mystic toiled plaza: She swings it backwards (so far so good) to hit the pile of rocks in front of her – However midswing she decides it’s more fun to use the pick sideways instead of how a normal person would swing it. In the end I guess that’ll take 235years and 54days longer than with the usual method .-.

in Living World

Posted by: steveway.3167

steveway.3167

Well, the workers have all now lost their tools without realizing it. I can’t help but think that if LA had hired the local Sylvari 93 Tree-growers Union, they would have regrown the bridges for you already.

That’s the problem with the non-union labor in LA, they can’t figure out if they have a tool in their hand or not.

I nearly spewed my soda after reading this. lol nice one.

in Living World

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

With my family, our first choice would have been:

- create a hospital in memory of all those we could not treat during the attack.

- Rebuild the Fortress lion’s Guard. (in anticipation of another attack) Indeed. Must be installed watchtowers, and a terminal for zepplins, On the long cliffs.

- Restore the symbols of the power of the Ark. (To boost the morale of troops.)

And all this can be done thanks to the Carrière Ebonweak (this city too, in two years, would have had to be repaired.)

- Recycling of metal left in the bay. (and make the cut bases of structures for houses. recast for guns …)

- Repeat stages of agriculture, in large enough location. sift the earth, creating water points, irrigation. Create work.

- Build houses for workers. This time, with a multiracial style. I think all people should come together to create a city with a strong symbol.

- Last of all, the decor. Spatial comfort.

- a graveyard with ghosts.

8 updates total.

Add map :
1) map current : http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/11/15/80/14/gw08410.jpg
2) map revisited by my imagination: http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/11/15/80/14/cartea10.jpg

This is minimal, but evolutionary.

# Asura because I’m worth it!

(edited by Louveepine.7630)

in Living World

Posted by: FrostyBou.5491

FrostyBou.5491

I’m just hoping LA ends up kinda like a mix between it’s old self and the black citadel what with all that scrap metal lying around. The citizens built the old city out of the parts that were lying around (shipwrecks) so I’d hope when it’s rebuilt it shows that alot of the wood was destroyed (as it was all on fire) and now replaced with the various bits of scrap metal they now have as available building materials.

in Living World

Posted by: Underdark.3726

Underdark.3726

typical politician! Your citizens are still falling in the holes on the bridges but she wants to repair a statue of a lion! puah! we need new elections!
:p

in Living World

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

That statue just always gets destroyed. They need to stop using cheap materials. But yeah, I’m really hoping we’ll see Lion’s Arch come back as something impressive rather than Shipwreck land. I’m sure splinters and tetanus had their charm, but Lion’s Arch always felt the least impressive of any of the six cities to me. It has a lot of space that never really got any use. That was nice in its own way, but I never liked sticking to one tiny segment of the city when there was so much more to it. Spreading out things like craft stations, the bank, and trading post isn’t a good way to remedy that. Just annoys players. The loss of the Waypoint at the Fort is -really- annoying to be honest. That has the most convenient setup to date.

in Living World

Posted by: thejoedude.3465

thejoedude.3465

What they should do is let players take part in events to rebuild the citg. Give them halloween and merry wintersday type rewards and im sure lions arch could or should be rebuilt in a month or so… if they give decent, but not super good rewards and decent acheivement points im sure loads of people would do the events to rebuild

in Living World

Posted by: Bunnikk.2146

Bunnikk.2146

Since we are rebuilding Lion’s Arch, as Commander of the Pact, can my character(s) finally have a home instance in Lion’s Arch?

Realistically, it would only make sense for the Commander to be stationed in the most prominent city. This is especially true since my character(s) is (are) now playing referee at the Summit and such.

[RAWR] Monsters of Tyria
Monster of choice – Kitsune
Megaserver formerly known as Blackgate

in Living World

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

They better rebuild it out of adamantium this time. I’m tired of seeing it blown up too.

in Living World

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I have various character pics that I took all across LA since the game began and when those pop up as my screen saver, I sigh a little bit…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Living World

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

It was destroyed as a metaphor in regards to the megaserver idea.

in Living World

Posted by: Sors Immani.8429

Sors Immani.8429

Rebuild the statue and hire some asuran contractors to fabricate a quick-deploy force field system to safeguard it for future attacks.

Yes, bridges and homes need to be rebuilt as well. I’d suggest statue->bridges->homes, less we get residents/merchants in varying districts rioting over why who got rebuilt first.

(To delve closer into reality, the statue would be rebuilt first as it requires the fewest resources and the symbolism therein serves as a morale boost for the locals. Next, the bridges/roads, as they are public works and the responsibility of the municipality. Individual homes/shops/etc, being private property, would be lowest on the priority; those individuals with the ways and means to immediately rebuild would undoubtedly do so while those who don’t could offer their labor to the municipal projects in exchange for assistance in rebuilding their estates.
Source: personal career in construction estimation and a dash of common sense).

Like others have said, I’d like to see LA become a confluence of racial architecture & technology in addition to embrace the “work with what you got” attitude and a return to the layout of its antiquity.

Charr metalsmiths to salvage the wreckage of the Breachmaker into usable components, incorporated with Sylvari structural engineering(as in, all of their building are freaking alive), built and powered with Asuran technology with Norn strength and architecture (seriously, aside from the Citadel, it’s among the most grand in scale), all coordinated by Humans.

Homeworld: Dragonbrand—Necro main Sors Immani, leader of Ripple Effect [RE]
aka Thalakos Dralnu, Voxt Umultus, and Jalis Haafingar.
Vulgarity is no substitution for wit.

in Living World

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

Considering how long they have been hammering at the bridges and they are still full of holes, I don’t think LA will ever be fixed.