Will I have to pay for micro-updates ?

in Living World

Posted by: Bossa.2871

Bossa.2871

If I want to go back and play parts of the living story that I wasn’t around to see, I have to give you more money or farm in game and convert my hard work into gems for next to no content in return?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t I already purchase your game? At what point does it become ok to charge your customers more for something they’ve already purchased? Why even gate the content like this? Does this mean I’ll have to pay for micro-updates of the living story in the near future?

in Living World

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Or you know… take 5 seconds to log in during the time the ls is active and unlock it permanently…

in Living World

Posted by: Sind Bowdragon.8374

Sind Bowdragon.8374

Or you know… take 5 seconds to log in during the time the ls is active and unlock it permanently…

What if I’m a deployed soldier and logging in is not an option. I’ll have to come back and pay for everything I missed?

Sind Bowdragon
Stormbluff Isle
[TBT] The Black TowerS

in Living World

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Ever heard of DLC? Don’t buy it if you think it’s not worth it. Some DLC is just a rip.

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It’s optional. You can skip it if you so desire. Also, all the Open World additions to content will be permanent.

Here is the Official thread for your feedback: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/GW2-releases-Story-Journals-Feedback-Questions-Merged/first#post4093246

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

in Living World

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

What if I’m a deployed soldier and logging in is not an option. I’ll have to come back and pay for everything I missed?

It’s 20 friggin gold an episode at today’s exchange rates. Or, if you have a job, pay the dollar or two in change to buy the gems with cash.

in Living World

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Ask a friend/family member to do it for you or are they also deployed?

in Living World

cranos.5913

I guess so. Considering the overall price won’t be more than 65 dollars (probably less), I don’t really see the issue. Expansions, DLCs, etc all require extra payment so I don’t get why Anet shouldn’t be allowed ask something in return, especially since it’s so easy to just log in or just farm the gold for it. 200 gems is what? 20-25 gold? That’s like 2 hours playing max.

in Living World

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I’m correcting you. You didn’t already pay for upcoming content. And nothing is going to force you to pay for it now. Even if you miss the content while it’s live and absolutely have to have it, it’s a very reasonable $2.50 per episode.

Most people agree that it’s It’s a huge positive for the game; probably the best news we’ve received since launch.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

in Living World

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

This whole new option seems bad to me. It has all the potential of making the living story as boring as the personal story. It takes a really good addition to the game the living story that was a community event and makes it a boring solo farm run. Who in their right mind ever said they wanted to do the living story over and over and over and over again. The only part of the LS that was at all remarkable and repeatable was the Marionette. It would have make a nice world event but no we got the stupid wurm one instead. This bodes very badly. It sounds like they just want to remove community events and replace it with solo instance dungeons which is almost as bad an idea kitten man instance dungeons.

This is a dynamic game lets not forget that. Get back to basics and give up what we want not what is cheap.

in Living World

Einlanzer.1627

This whole new option seems bad to me. It has all the potential of making the living story as boring as the personal story. It takes a really good addition to the game the living story that was a community event and makes it a boring solo farm run. Who in their right mind ever said they wanted to do the living story over and over and over and over again. The only part of the LS that was at all remarkable and repeatable was the Marionette. It would have make a nice world event but no we got the stupid wurm one instead. This bodes very badly. It sounds like they just want to remove community events and replace it with solo instance dungeons which is almost as bad an idea kitten man instance dungeons.

This is a dynamic game lets not forget that. Get back to basics and give up what we want not what is cheap.

No. Nobody wants all temporary content, and it’s bad for the game. This news is awesome.

in Living World

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

To be fair all this LS stuff is developed post-launch so you’re not exactly entitled to any of it on account of buying the game. The dungeons, PS and open world at launch is what you’re entitled to. Even if the LS updates happen to contain those things you’re not entitled to them.

Best think of LS as DLC (just to be clear-I loathe DLC and thought it would do more harm than good for nearly 10 years now, but I digress) that you can play for free if you happen to log in during the launch week but you have to pay for later if you missed the launch period.

It’s an….interesting tactic. Log now or pay later…sneaky way of making people more inclined to at least log in-and once you’re logged in you might play a few mins. It’s not as good as an expansion (no leading by the nose you see)…but since they’re hell bent on this LS then this is an OK compromise I think.

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

in Living World

Posted by: Bossa.2871

Bossa.2871

I’m correcting you. You didn’t already pay for upcoming content.

To be fair all this LS stuff is developed post-launch so you’re not exactly entitled to any of it on account of buying the game. The dungeons, PS and open world at launch is what you’re entitled to. Even if the LS updates happen to contain those things you’re not entitled to them.

Best think of LS as DLC (just to be clear-I loathe DLC and thought it would do more harm than good for nearly 10 years now, but I digress) that you can play for free if you happen to log in during the launch week but you have to pay for later if you missed the launch period.

It’s an….interesting tactic. Log now or pay later…sneaky way of making people more inclined to at least log in-and once you’re logged in you might play a few mins. It’s not as good as an expansion (no leading by the nose you see)…but since they’re hell bent on this LS then this is an OK compromise I think.

I’m correcting you. By purchasing this companies product, like many others have, I have invested in the FUTURE DEVELOPMENT of said product. I already gave them my money, so until they give me something that I have not invested in, why should I give them more?

in Living World

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Then you probably have other things to worry about than 200 gems or missing an LS installment.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

in Living World

Einlanzer.1627

I’m correcting you. By purchasing this companies product, like many others have, I have invested in the FUTURE DEVELOPMENT of said product. I already gave them my money, so until they give me something that I have not invested in, why should I give them more?

Are you kidding me? That’s not how anything has ever worked. What makes you think you’re entitled to years and years of continual content development because you paid $60 once? Anet needs revenue streams to keep iterating the game and keep making new content. If you enjoy the game, you should be happy to support it. kittening Pathetic.

Besides, you still get it for free if you log in. It’s no different than the current system other than if you missed it you can pay to get it instead of just not having access to it.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

in Living World

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

So you’d rather never have a chance to see it, period ?

You know, like last year.

When I’ve missed LS stuff it’s because I was too busy with school to play on a regular basis – and it will be easy for me to just LOG ON even if I’m not able to actually play right then. And even if I was so swamped that I couldn’t even log on I’d rather be able to unlock that with money than never have a chance to play it, period.

in Living World

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

On top of what other people have pointed out as obvious, this is actually an improvement over what they currently have in place. Your options were zero access if you miss it, or 200gems for access if you miss it. I’d take the second. And since you can get gems with ingame gold, you technically don’t have to pay real money for access.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

in Living World

cranos.5913

You still seem to read over the part where you can log in and get it for free.

in Living World

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

I’m sorry what?

If you want to invest in ‘FUTURE DEVELOPEMENT of said product’ then what you need to do is buy a couple thousand dollars worth of shares, not a single $60 game. You don’t say ‘hey I bought a 2 piece bbq meal from KFC 15 years ago-that means I should get all new future meals and flavours free because I invested in the future development of the product!’

I…this….nope…this is an exercise in frustration and futility.

Not doing it.

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

in Living World

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Then one could say that yes, you paid for the game. – But its up to you to log in or not.

As for missed content… why not just read about what happened and continue on from there?

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

in Living World

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

lol, @ reading =/= playing content.

Anyhow….so how does this work for new gamers starting up well after the LS2? will they just have a stack of gold they’ll have to gain to see the older content, or have to cough up dough?
What incentive will there be for those new players to even purchase it?

in Living World

Einlanzer.1627

Anyhow….so how does this work for new gamers starting up well after the LS2? will they just have a stack of gold they’ll have to gain to see the older content, or have to cough up dough?

I’m sure they’ll do bundles for content as it ages past a year.

in Living World

Posted by: projectcedric.6951

projectcedric.6951

So by your logic of buying future developments with initial purchase, it should be expected that the whole GW2 staff should be working for your free for the rest of their lives?

The fact that they are providing LS content outside initial purchase for free (it is free!) is already breaking the limits of economic reality, and one would assume that at some point they’re going to start realizing that they actually need money to go on.

For your information, console games also cost around 60 bucks for initial purchase. Until the recent online systems of Xbox and PS, there is no way at all that the companies will even fix bugs/update your game after your purchase. What you get when you bought the game – faulty game or not- is all you get.

Even until now, most DLC post-box sales are still not free.

You play other mmorpgs -F2P and P2P alike- and you’ll realize how we GW2 players are actually being very, very spoiled.

in Living World

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Loads of people have said that temporary, unrepeatable content is bad for the game. Massive amounts of people in the first CDI thread begged for the ability to replay/review the personal story. This is an option. If you don’t want to pay for it, then don’t. Do the rest of the free content as it happens and be happy with that. You actually DO get access to years of free content, just for playing the game. They’re not hiding new content behind a paywall.

There will literally be no difference between how it worked in S1 to S2, except for the fact that, in S2, if you miss part of the LS, you are able to play it. In S1, you just couldn’t play it at all. Is that preferable? Seriously?

As opposed to the current method of not being able to see old content, you mean?

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

in Living World

Posted by: projectcedric.6951

projectcedric.6951

Isn’t it the prerogative of older players (at that point) to have played older content for free?

After all, if you paid them 60 dollars now and they invested that money in something, one year later it is worth more than that 60 dollars. Why shouldn’t it be the same the way the other way around?

Why should I, if I were the developer, care more about the players that are gonna give me 60 dollars in the future than the ones who have given me or are giving me 60 dollars now?

That time differential in the values of the 60 dollars we pay now and 2 years later equals the privileges that older/persistent players have in the game.

(This is of course besides the fact that philosophically speaking, players who have played longer and more persistently regardless of personal reasons, should, by virtue, be rewarded more)

in Living World

Azhure.1857

Yes, “lol”, ‘cause every GW2 player who didn’t play GW1 should not read about the lore and story of the first game if it is of interest to them – no they should pay for it and go play it.

LOL, indeed.

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

If you’re a deployed soldier, you can afford the dollar.

in Living World

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Just give your login and password to a family member or friend…

in Living World

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Have you seen a soldiers pay? If you have then you would know better.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

in Living World

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

200 gems is 2.50 dollars. Are you gonna tell me that soldiers can’t spare that for their entertainment?

in Living World

Azhure.1857

I was going to say that… but then I thought that anyone that can buy a $60 game and waste time playing it can in fact afford to pay that small amount. Doesn’t make it right, I know.

in Living World

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

200 gems is 2.50 dollars. Are you gonna tell me that soldiers can’t spare that for their entertainment?

You can’t buy JUST 200 gems and the $10.00US minimum amount needed to spend WOULD be a hinderance to many.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

in Living World

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

You can’t buy JUST 200 gems and the $10.00US minimum amount needed to spend WOULD be a hinderance to many.

This might be a valid argument, if you couldn’t trade gold for gems. It’d still be a weaksauce argument, but potentially valid.

And, again, if it’s a hindrance to anyone, it’s a good thing it’s not necessary to have all the LS in order to enjoy new content. You are making up reasons to be mad now. A deployed soldier is going to get mad that instead of totally missing out on the content, he/she can now have the option to play it?

Look, I’m not thrilled about agreeing with Smooth Penguin about anything. But I’ve checked the math several times now, and I keep coming back to the same sum. The uproar over this is totally baseless.

Come on, guys. Really? You’d really prefer the current system? How is that even reasonable? “I don’t think anyone should have access to past living story, because the optional cost is just too offensive.” That’s the argument you’re making.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

in Living World

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Wow, how low has this company fallen to stoop to operant conditioning instead of just trying to make fun content to encourage players to log in to play.

in Living World

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

some people want everything for free, without effort, even if the effort itself is free of charge..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in Living World

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t I already purchase your game? At what point does it become ok to charge your customers more for something they’ve already purchased? Why even gate the content like this? Does this mean I’ll have to pay for micro-updates of the living story in the near future?

Yes, that could be the way with this issue. It seem Anet wants to introduce a way to pay for “mini/micro addons” in a slow way.

At first, most of the existing players do not have to pay anything (because they log in when every eposide is there), so there will not be much of an “outburst”.

And there will alway be a (small-ish) percentage of players, who could not log in to the game during the time of an episode (illness, work, holiday,…) and who have to pay but they are not the majority. Anet will know he numbers, how much revenue this will generate.

And of course, new players, that “bought” the game will have to pay for all episodes that happend before they started with the game.

So, within several months, when it is accepted by the player base, it will shift to more and more so that more and more players have to pay for (LS oder similar) mini/micro-addons.

Don’t get me wrong. I do not have a problem to pay for an add-on. A lot of players have asked for that. And I do like “permanent content” and would really like to “replay” some parts of my personal story (if that ever happens) and the LS and the “permanent content” (mini addons).

But in the end, paying with micro-transacations (here a dollar, there a dollar,…) tend to become more expensive then a “normal” add-on for say 30-60 bucks.

Greetings.

P.S. Yes, some can convert enough gold to gems. But buying gems with real money will always be a substantial part of the gem store. So its also about buying content with real money.

in Living World

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

So, in other MMO’s, do people complain when they pay real-life cash for expansions? Which brings permanent content to the game that they could play at any time?

And now that GW2 is allowing the previous and upcoming content to become permanent, of which Season 1’s total cost if payed with real cash (because you can purchase with in-game money – don’t see that being an available option in many other MMOs) will roughly be around $60 for 24 previous content updates – about the cost of an average MMO expansion, or even less? With which 24 content updates is worthy of being even 2 expansion’s worth of content, depending on how they are delivering it.

So what is the uproar about?

Over the nearly 2 years of this game’s existence, the only cash you had to pay was for the client – that’s it – all other cash spending was optional. And now that you might (I need more emphasis on that word), might, spend some real life cash on expansion-worthy content (because, as I mentioned, you can use in-game currency), people are raging about it?

As if no other MMO has ever forced people to pay for new content in some way?

in Living World

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

In point of fact, you don’t have to pay anything at all. All any player has to do is log in (a two minute process at most) during a two week window, and the LS chapter will be permanently unlocked. The only way people would have to pay 200 gems would be if they couldn’t log in for some reason, or they bought the game after chapters had been released. Let’s be honest, 200 gems is 20-30 gold in game depending on exchange rates. Most people get their hands on that within days.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I used to be in the military, so yes, I am quite aware of a soldier’s pay. I supported a family on a soldier’s pay. They can afford to pay the money if they wish.

in Living World

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

But in the end, paying with micro-transacations (here a dollar, there a dollar,…) tend to become more expensive then a “normal” add-on for say 30-60 bucks.

I share your opinion, in the long run Anet will probably gain more money with less risk and effort than with an expansion (which would also cost them a lot more money).

This follows a common trend, somewhat similar to map-packs in Battlefield 4: no more expansions, only small packs – and in the end players pay more than they would with buying a full expansion while not receiving the full value of one.

Also important: the community gets divided with players who don´t have access to all content, which is a terrible side-effect, especially for a MMO.

Of course that system would be much better than BF4 because logging in during that special time should be enough to get the access – though we would also receive less, no new maps, maybe even not much more than Personal Story 2.0.

But in the end, all of you supporting this system should be aware that this is their replacement for a real expansion.

in Living World

Posted by: rincewind.9528

rincewind.9528

Before you missed content. You lost it forever. You missed everything, the encounters, the story, everything, forever.
Now, with the new system, you can access the content that you missed and play it. If you logged once during the content duration is unlocked. If you don’t you can unlock for a price. Or not. It’s YOU CHOICE.

Before, you miss content. Now you have the choice to never miss content.

We’re in a better place than before.

Of course, if you want a full fledged paid expansion, maybe it’s not the change that you wanted. But it’s much better than before, that’s for sure.

PD: For the guy in the army. Ask the army a raise! You are bound to risk your life for the country and they don’t pay enough to even spend 10 bucks in a game? That’s nonsense!

in Living World

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

So, in other MMO’s, do people complain when they pay real-life cash for expansions?

You mean, the $40 expansions that add MULTIPLE new areas, MULTIPLE new skills, NEW classes, NEW races, MULTIPLE new armor and weapon SKINS that you don’t need to pay a LOTTERY system to get, MULTIPLE new mechanics and SO ON?

Yep, people usually don’t complain when they pay for THOSE.

Now, paying $50 for ONLY single player personal storyline-like INSTANCES? YEP, expect people to COMPLAIN. I wonder WHY…

in Living World

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

No. Nobody wants all temporary content, and it’s bad for the game. This news is awesome.

Speak for yourself, sir. While I agree that this news is overall good, I’ve always loved the temporary model. I was initially really unhappy about this. I’m warming to the idea now, though. As long as they keep the updates flowing and don’t sacrifice forward movement for permanence.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

in Living World

rincewind.9528

Speak for yourself, sir. While I agree that this news is overall good, I’ve always loved the temporary model. I was initially really unhappy about this. I’m warming to the idea now, though. As long as they keep the updates flowing and don’t sacrifice forward movement for permanence.

I hate the temporary content. It make me left the game once.
Everytime that I tried to log and play I felt so lost than I ended quitting again.

Now, with the new system there’s hope!! A new hope!!

in Living World

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

As long as they keep the updates flowing and don’t sacrifice forward movement for permanence.

OPEN world CONTENT is going to take a HUGE hit. Expect LESS things like the MARIONETTE encounter, and more like the personal storyline-like instanced content that NO ONE even REMEMBERS.

Not to mention how, IRONICALLY, they’re killing the concept of a LIVING world. If the changes to the OPEN world won’t disappear, what’s the POINT in having a STORYLINE? Imagine how it would be if players defeated SCARLET but her ARMIES never stopped INVADING a given map? Or if she NEVER stopped appearing in the MARIONETTE content even after we had DEFEATED her?

ArenaNet DOESN’T know how to AVOID extremes. Having the ENTIRE season 1 based around TEMPORARY content was Bad. Having the ENTIRE season 2 based around PERMANENT content is BAD, too.

in Living World

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

As long as they keep the updates flowing and don’t sacrifice forward movement for permanence.

OPEN world CONTENT is going to take a HUGE hit. Expect LESS things like the MARIONETTE encounter, and more like the personal storyline-like instanced content that NO ONE even REMEMBERS.

Not to mention how, IRONICALLY, they’re killing the concept of a LIVING world. If the changes to the OPEN world won’t disappear, what’s the POINT in having a STORYLINE? Imagine how it would be if players defeated SCARLET but her ARMIES never stopped INVADING a given map? Or if she NEVER stopped appearing in the MARIONETTE content even after we had DEFEATED her?

ArenaNet DOESN’T know how to AVOID extremes. Having the ENTIRE season 1 based around TEMPORARY content was Bad. Having the ENTIRE season 2 based around PERMANENT content is BAD, too.

I love conspiracy theories based on no facts at all.

in Living World

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

Currently there is no way to replay the old living story so having it for free and a micro-transaction if you can’t log on is a better state then the current “2 weeks or nothing.”

A lot of people seem to fully understand how living story season 2 is going to play out. Are you in a private beta or just taking the selective reading to fuel your own debate.

In an MMO it is impossible to have a free flowing story with progression. You can’t force everyone to beat the same content at once so the whole world changes at the same time. If you change it that when someone kills scarlet the entire event ends for everyone..enjoy those tears on the forum.

in Living World

rincewind.9528

Guys, guys, this dude is using caps in some words!! He must know about this!! We must agree with him!!!

PD: I still don’t kwow what’s that Marionette thing that people talks about? Do you eat it?

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Guys, guys, this dude is using caps in some words!! He must know about this!! We must agree with him!!!

PD: I still don’t kwow what’s that Marionette thing that people talks about? Do you eat it?

Mationette was a big kitten open world fight that required 5 teams to coordinate, and to understand the individual boss fight mechanics. It was fun kitten! I would have absolutely loved to see that stay as a world boss, but sadly, it didn’t.

Youtube a few videos of it.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Unless you bought shares, no, your initial purchase only payed for what was already there.