We did it!!!

We did it!!!

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

World firsts are incredibly stupid, it creates nothing but a toxic atmosphere amongst players.

These two new bosses have done nothing but bring the elitists of this game to the surface, so much fighting and name calling in map chat its toxic.

This game is NOT World of Warcraft, if i wanted to do hard mode raids and compete for world firsts i would go play WoW.

I thought GW2 was meant to be different from other mmos, why then have ArenanNet copy/paste hardmode raids from WoW?

Actually, for a celebration post like this one, the only ‘toxic’ thing I see here is your post. Fighting and name calling is not the result of the introduction of these new bosses, is the result of people not wanting to cooperate, and people not being tolerant. Both types of players exist in the game with or without these bosses.

Now, to call something that can be completed by > 100 random people a ‘hard boss raid’, really confirms that you don’t know what you are talking about:

- You either don’t know hwat a hard boss raid in wow was like (I downed the marionette after 6 tries, all with different, random people, and it takes like 50 tries to down a hard mode boss in wow, playing always with the same people using a very studied strategy), or

- you haven’t stopped to analyze the marionette (or even the wurm) and see that the tasks you have to accomplish during the event can be carried out by any casual player.

We did it!!!

Posted by: merforga.4731

merforga.4731

World firsts are incredibly stupid, it creates nothing but a toxic atmosphere amongst players.

These two new bosses have done nothing but bring the elitists of this game to the surface, so much fighting and name calling in map chat its toxic.

This game is NOT World of Warcraft, if i wanted to do hard mode raids and compete for world firsts i would go play WoW.

I thought GW2 was meant to be different from other mmos, why then have ArenanNet copy/paste hardmode raids from WoW?

Actually, for a celebration post like this one, the only ‘toxic’ thing I see here is your post. Fighting and name calling is not the result of the introduction of these new bosses, is the result of people not wanting to cooperate, and people not being tolerant. Both types of players exist in the game with or without these bosses.

Now, to call something that can be completed by > 100 random people a ‘hard boss raid’, really confirms that you don’t know what you are talking about:

- You either don’t know hwat a hard boss raid in wow was like (I downed the marionette after 6 tries, all with different, random people, and it takes like 50 tries to down a hard mode boss in wow, playing always with the same people using a very studied strategy), or

- you haven’t stopped to analyze the marionette (or even the wurm) and see that the tasks you have to accomplish during the event can be carried out by any casual player.

Here here! If anything, the wurm boss has brought the community a lot closer (well those that want to be a contributing part of the community). I know over the last few days before the world first, myself and a few deso commanders were having regular strategy meetings talking about what works, what doesnt and if we learnt anything new.

The people crying are usually the people that go “but why can’t I” solo this and do it myself instead of trying to work together with the community. Not everything is about you

We did it!!!

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

Wurms head in phase 2 needs 3min instead of 2 at the very least, Anet have to understand that Desolation victory is based on luck too, that’s why they have trouble killing the wurms again, we don’t want to kill it only once, but everyday like Tequatl, we definitely need more time for the heads.

The victory was in no way, shape or form, based on luck. We killed it because we had the same ~200-ish people camping bloodtide coast for 4 days in a row. Trying to kill it every 2 hours. Commanders slept for 4-5 hours and went back at it again early in the morning. Everyone got familiar with the mechanics of their own wurm. Due to this the majority of people don’t even have their Wurmslayer achievement yet, because they were practicing their craft at only 1 wurm.

We trained hard and accomplished our goals. The problem now is that all the other deso players saw the “Worlds first” post and are now flocking towards bloodtide coast in order to leech of our hard work and trying to coastline along it to complete their achievement progress. I don’t mind the people that are coming on ts and want to learn the wurms and are actually trying to succeed, but the fact of the matter is… with these wurms you can’t just go in there and hope for the best. You have to be experienced with the different wurm attacks, when to dodge, the buffs, the debuffs, the double damage spots, when to pop Embers, when to pop conjure weapons (and where), when to pick them up (always! Which is not done enough by new players), etc etc.

We get to the 2nd wurm phase very consistently, but I see so many people getting downed at the 2nd phase because they lack the experience to dodge the wurm attacks (or even anticipate where it’s going to go to next in order to be in range to DPS it). People have to res the downed and that takes seconds. It is those few precious seconds that are the difference between killing it, and waiting for another 2 hours for the next spawn.

This is the reason why we haven’t killed it again. We don’t have the same experienced players. Guesters aren’t even the big problem because they rarely get in.

(And don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to sound elitist that only the hardcore ‘crew’ that was there at the start must have access to the wurm. I welcome all new players that are serious about killing the wurm. I’m just stating the facts on why we haven’t killed it yet, and why the kill wasn’t based on luck at all, but purely hard dedicated work).

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

We did it!!!

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

How did you manage to keep the same 200 players there?

We did it!!!

Posted by: Taisia.2813

Taisia.2813

Simple, we kept ourselves there, many of the players didn’t even leave for the marionette fight before we killed it. It was so exciting and thrilling even the near misses. I wish we could have content like this on a regular bases, nothing compares to it.

We did it!!!

Posted by: vadithiyan.6041

vadithiyan.6041

Pretty simple, we did not do anything else in game, as in we used to do wurm, hav a 30 min break, discuss strategies, do it again, all the while not leaving the map. And also we did it late into the night, slept for 4 or 5 hours, woke up early and started doing it again. So only the people who wanted to get it done(the 150 people who stayed there everyday) ,and not the people who just tried it once or were just there for an instant kill, were able to make it into the map.

Fenrir Lemonslice – Norn Warrior
Velaeriyan – Sylvari Ranger
Desolation

We did it!!!

Posted by: Divus.3175

Divus.3175

Pretty simple, we did not do anything else in game, as in we used to do wurm

Rectification: we didn’t do anything else. Not only in game.

[KING] Desolation – Pikan Parom (engineer), Grace Parom (ele)

We did it!!!

Posted by: WilliamDaBloody.2591

WilliamDaBloody.2591

Simple, we were dedicated to bring the wurm down! We didn’t do anything else in the game and most of us not even in real life.

All it takes for the wurm is 150+ dedicated people on TS who are willing to learn, bring in good input, help with resources (e.g. buff food, crafting stations etc), keep the spirit up and don’t leave after a defeat and come back in 2h later for a potential kill.

The wurm doesn’t work in any other way. The team building excerise is what makes it hard as a lot of people feel entitled or above others. There were the same issues when the wurm started, but we overcame our pity little differences in the end and focused on the task ahead. We wanted the kill so bad…

If you really want to kill the wurm, you can do it. But it requires a lot of dedication. And that is what everyone on Deso showed, resident or guest, doesn’t matter. We became a 150+ team in the end. And that’s why we succeeded.

When the next large scale open world boss will come later this year I am pretty sure that a lot of these 150+ dedicated people will show up on Deso’s main map again for as long as it takes. And we will prevail and get the world’s first kill together.

Yeah, I am a bit sentimental about this. This was by far the greatest feeling of accomplishment in GW2. And it wasn’t because we defeated the wurm, it was because we defeated the wurm together with basically the same core team of 100+ people. In fact it was the best experience in all my gaming life since the days Pong came out.

Other servers also working on killing the wurm, but the main obstacle so far is the team building excerise. Probably this weekend we will see additional kills. And as more and more people know what to do it will be killed on a regular basis in the future on a lot of servers.

(edited by WilliamDaBloody.2591)

We did it!!!

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

We’ve had similar results in getting people to stay but not all 150. With random DC’s, constant map resets, and constant bugs from the wurm, It has been impossible to keep the same dedicated people on the same map.

We have been plagued by people who simply will not get on TS, not run DPS builds, and simply not listen. This is the hurdle most have to deal with. Congrats again on accomplishing that. I think that is even greater than beating the wurm.

If I had some advice for AN. I love these encounters, even not beating the wurm I still love it.

1: Make an achievement for actually killing the wurm and completing the event. As it currently stands you never have to win the event to get the title. How does this makes sense?

2: Require a large number of people, 100+ but not actually the MAP cap. You need almost all 150 in order to beat this event. It seems you need about 44-46 per group in order to win phase 2. This doesn’t leave much room for afkers (which you can do nothing about) and just general people in the map who don’t want to listen or work as a team.

Thanks for everyone on Deso for answering questions and providing feed back so far.

We did it!!!

Charming Rogue.8071

Wurms head in phase 2 needs 3min instead of 2 at the very least, Anet have to understand that Desolation victory is based on luck too, that’s why they have trouble killing the wurms again, we don’t want to kill it only once, but everyday like Tequatl, we definitely need more time for the heads.

One more thing I’d like to add is that I also heard several people say on deso teamspeak that they actually took days of work in order to fight the wurms. To attribute the world’s first kill to luck is actually an insult to all these people as well.

We did it!!!

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

Oh really? I’m sorry dude but, camping and prevent any random ’’foe’’ from entering the server is luck, people who have time to sit there for 4 days is luck of not having time to spare for other things, you got lucky because you had many dudes that had no time to spare aside GW2 for 4 days. I respect Desolation for their victory, i just said that they didn’t won only because the people there were sitting hard (even though it depends on persons and individuals, some can do better in a couple of hours, but it’s very rare) for 4 days, but also because they were lucky to have these guys.

We did it!!!

Charming Rogue.8071

Oh really? I’m sorry dude but, camping and prevent any random ’’foe’’ from entering the server is luck, people who have time to sit there for 4 days is luck of not having time to spare for other things, you got lucky because you had many dudes that had no time to spare aside GW2 for 4 days. I respect Desolation for their victory, i just said that they didn’t won only because the people there were sitting hard (even though it depends on persons and individuals, some can do better in a couple of hours, but it’s very rare) for 4 days, but also because they were lucky to have these guys.

Yes. We were very lucky to have such dedicated players that had (or made) the time to kill the wurm. Not many other servers have this.