...Hopefully not another Temporary Dungeon [merged]

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: The Master.2893

The Master.2893

Edit: With the patch released it is clear this will be Temporary content…

The “story instance” at the end is indeed just another short-term dungeon like the “Funhouse” was. This post addresses the concept that the “tower”, dunegon or not, and its content will be shortly removed weeks following the release.

If the dungeon is to be as promised then there is no way it can be properly enjoyed in only a 2-week window. Maybe not even 4 weeks. I know some of you like to rush through front to back and could care less about the “enjoying the visuals”; nonetheless with every living story patch released, a ticking clock exists counting down the time until the destruction of the release.

Look: Dungeons are useless and forgetable unless you can explore them slowly. This cannot be done in a short time no matter how hard you try. Making temporary dungeons only further serves to make this game more “unenjoyable” and defeats the intent of a “Living Story”. Scarlet doesn’t have to be defeated in 2-week time windows. The world won’t come to an end if it takes longer else Scarlet would have destroyed everything by now.

No matter…

Indeed it is so…

THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN!

(edited by The Master.2893)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Seeing as how the last dungeon that was added with LS is still there I doubt this one will be temporary if it’s even a dungeon…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

Making temporary dungeons is fine as long as it returns at a later date like how MF and AR are becoming fractals.

If they make a dungeon that isn’t a revamp of an existing dungeon it is extremely likely to be temporary, but it is also very likely to return as a fractal. This next patch however, is not a dungeon update either way.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Bragdras.9572

Bragdras.9572

It’s all I’m curious about really, I really hope it is, especially since it (seems) has randomized parts, at least in the enemy roster?

.. Yeah yeah the music is awful yadda yadda but only in conjunction of that trailer, but they’re fine on their own.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

They said that expect gradual changes over next 4 months so hopefully they keep it that long

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

Id love for it to be permanent content. Id love a really decent 5 man or even open world 50 floors of madness and for it to stay in the world to be appreciated for longer than 2/4 week cycles.

But it seems like (from what i read of the release preview) we will fight another one of those stupid scarlet hybrid monsters, destroy the tower and see no more of the toxic alliance apart from cameos in scarlet related LS arcs.

Although, if that happened, I guess i would still hold out hope that the tower remains, now free from toxin, krait take over like they always planned and a really interesting gw lore RELATED LS arc can actually unfold. Here’s hoping.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

I’m not even certain at this point that the update is a dungeon … sounds more like the Jubilee where there are several different events raging throughout the tower at the same time, but is open to any and all.

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: zeetee.1537

zeetee.1537

Are we even sure its actually a dungeon? I see nothing that says it is … other than its been stated there is an “instanced” portion. It could be made for the solo player …. who really knows.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I’d love a randomised dungeon with a boss-rush element to it. Even better if the rewards are worthwhile.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

We will find small instances in the tower not a large dungeon. It could be something similar to Queen’s Gauntlet wit gambits.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

It doesn’t sound like a dungeon, just a bunch of ‘rooms’

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Mega Messiah.1734

Mega Messiah.1734

Probably not gonna be a dungeon. If it’s saying you have to go into “rooms” and fight special enemies, it sounds more to me like the Queen’s Gauntlet, only this time the bosses are randomized.

Solo 1v1 fights in those rooms, and then the main event is blowing up the giant flower.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It might be a permanent mini-dungeon.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Valenthor.4052

Valenthor.4052

It will be a permanent dungeon, but you will have to sacrifice an already existing dungeon. Anet, the only MMO developer that removes content from their game.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Zerg the tower
Get your AP and crappy rewards
Wait 2 weeks
repeat

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Josip.8267

Josip.8267

I love how op writes his post like he is stating facts.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Will it be temporary?

Most likely. We’ll be ending the main threat but “remnants” may remain – if anything.

Will it be a dungeon?

I’m doubtful. It sounds like The Crown Pavilion set-up to me.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

It most definitely does sound more like the Pavilion, but the video also look likes a jumping puzzle to some degree.

If it was a dungeon they would more than likely advertise it as such, it would be something that would boast about, not keep under wraps.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: daros.3407

daros.3407

It is not even said if this will be dungeon like Aetherblade Retreat was. There they they exactly said ,,New Story Dungeon".
This new think can be also solo instance or instance that you can do from 1 to 5 people. Or another pavilion.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: daros.3407

daros.3407

If is not even said that it will be dungeon :-)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I agree that the community assumption that this a “Dungeon” release is not valid. I expect a lot of QQing from those that have made that assumption when the content releases….

I am basing this on the fact that the word DUNGEON does not appear in any of the announcement information I have seen.

No matter what this content actually turns out to be, I’m not sure that it being permanent is part of the plan….I already miss my old Kessex Hills zone and want it back at some point (tho, for continuity sake, it should have some “scarring” left). I guess it’s possible to leave open the Tower and “reclaim” the rest of the zone to near it’s original status, but I for one do NOT want Kessex Hills to remain as it is now indefinitely.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

i agree, no more dungeon please but more open world stuff. Just in case, since it is not known to be a dungeon.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

It will be a permanent dungeon, but you will have to sacrifice an already existing dungeon. Anet, the only MMO developer that removes content from their game.

Are people still seriously harping on about this?
All other MMOs phase out old content and leave them barren. Be glad Anet actually take the time to reclaim unused areas and make them new.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Anet, the only MMO developer that removes content from their game.

This is obviously your first MMO.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: daemonlama.5413

daemonlama.5413

It is all perspective. Look at other mmo’s and how there is so much unused content. Everyone already been there and done that. Taking this tower for an example, they leave it in for 2-4 weeks. We spend those weeks playing the kitten out of it, then it goes away. That lends itself to give the LS a feeling of it being living. It was defeated, and now its it no longer exists.

It keeps things from getting boring and then ignored. Which we all know, happens with all content. They give it to us, take it away and give us something new, then some time down the road they give it back to us in an altered state to keep it fresh and interesting.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Blade Syphon.4325

Blade Syphon.4325

It is all perspective. Look at other mmo’s and how there is so much unused content. Everyone already been there and done that. Taking this tower for an example, they leave it in for 2-4 weeks. We spend those weeks playing the kitten out of it, then it goes away. That lends itself to give the LS a feeling of it being living. It was defeated, and now its it no longer exists.

It keeps things from getting boring and then ignored. Which we all know, happens with all content. They give it to us, take it away and give us something new, then some time down the road they give it back to us in an altered state to keep it fresh and interesting.

Or they could leave the content there permanent, scrap the entire notion that Living Story = Content must be removed, and give players more things to do than they can shake a stick at.

It’s actually painful at how fast people are to defend Anet’s idea that their Living Story concept of adding temporary content is somehow innovative and, even worst, a good, cool idea.

Yes, sometimes MMO Developers do remove content from the game when they feel it fits the storyline, but never to the extent that Anet does with each passing update. Think about it, if Anet actually left in the content (barring holidays, obviously) instead of constantly removing it, by now we would have had over a dozen new story missions, two full fledged new dungeons, a third mini-dungeon, an additional scalable dungeon with the Queen’s Jubilee, an entirely new meta-game they could have continued to add to with the Queen’s Gauntlet and Super Adventure Box, and an entirely new zone in the form of the Zepyhr Sanctum along with the Challenge Mission it came with. Not to mention the various new PvP modes/Activities they’ve added over the year as well that are no longer in the game.

Instead…we have Fractals of the Mist, WvW changes, a completely dead zone, a handful of rotating activities, and a revamped world boss no one does anymore.

Remind me again why the latter is better than the former?

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Or they could leave the content there permanent, scrap the entire notion that Living Story = Content must be removed, and give players more things to do than they can shake a stick at.

It’s actually painful at how fast people are to defend Anet’s idea that their Living Story concept of adding temporary content is somehow innovative and, even worst, a good, cool idea.

Yes, sometimes MMO Developers do remove content from the game when they feel it fits the storyline, but never to the extent that Anet does with each passing update. Think about it, if Anet actually left in the content (barring holidays, obviously) instead of constantly removing it, by now we would have had over a dozen new story missions, two full fledged new dungeons, a third mini-dungeon, an additional scalable dungeon with the Queen’s Jubilee, an entirely new meta-game they could have continued to add to with the Queen’s Gauntlet and Super Adventure Box, and an entirely new zone in the form of the Zepyhr Sanctum along with the Challenge Mission it came with. Not to mention the various new PvP modes/Activities they’ve added over the year as well that are no longer in the game.

Instead…we have Fractals of the Mist, WvW changes, a completely dead zone, a handful of rotating activities, and a revamped world boss no one does anymore.

+1 for truthfulness

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

in The Nightmare Within

Xae Isareth.1364

My goodness that would have been amazing.

Their reason for removing content so much is to keep player concentrations up so you can always find people to do an activity, which frankly sounds like dictatorial control.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

What does it matter whether it’s temporary or not when my pets will die instantly to the AoEs? Oddly enough, every other character class doesn’t lose their main mechanic support in dungeons.

Just more time wasted on useless content instead of fixing the broken main mechanics.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Storied instances and dungeons should pretty much always be permanent, period.

I don’t even think it’s okay to remove them then add them back in as fractals. What’s the point? The launch dungeons aren’t going to be removed, what purpose does removing newer ones serve?

I agree with the above poster. Living World = Temporary content is just a bad concept that Anet seems to be having trouble letting go of. You gain little and lose much by removing or altering existing content as opposed to just adding new content with each patch.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

in The Nightmare Within

The Master.2893

Zerg the tower
Get your AP and crappy rewards
Wait 2 weeks
repeat

This is one of the main problems with these releases. No time to do anything “fun” but instead a “forced march” through content.

THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN!

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

I hope all the dungeons they made for the past Living Worlds were not completely deleted. I want to replay them.

in The Nightmare Within

The Master.2893

I love how op writes his post like he is stating facts.

My method of typing has a way of appearing like this… however consider my first post only in theory and it might make more sense no matter: Whether it is a full dungeon or not is not important in regards to my attempt to address the main issue of “short-term content”.

THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN!

in The Nightmare Within

The Master.2893

What does it matter whether it’s temporary or not when my pets will die instantly to the AoEs? Oddly enough, every other character class doesn’t lose their main mechanic support in dungeons.

Just more time wasted on useless content instead of fixing the broken main mechanics.

Most interesting… never thought about this concept for pet classes. I play a Mesmer for example but the “pets” there are only supposed to exist short term. For Rangers I could see how the “I can heal myself of the toxin but not my pets”, and given the lack of AI to attempt to run from the AoE, would be a problem indeed.

You should make sure this problem is addressed in its own thread because it is very important for the players affected and clearly ArenaNet failed therefore.

THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN!

in The Nightmare Within

Xae Isareth.1364

Theres also a POI called the Tower if Nightmares so ….

in The Nightmare Within

Valenthor.4052

Are people still seriously harping on about this?
All other MMOs phase out old content and leave them barren. Be glad Anet actually take the time to reclaim unused areas and make them new.

Thank you Anet for giving me less to do. Most Triple A MMOs revamp areas it isn’t anything we need to praise them for and bow at their feet. Also I should of denoted the only MMO to remove content one year off of release, as in not after SEVERAL expansions later.

in The Nightmare Within

Valenthor.4052

This is obviously your first MMO.

No it is not. I forgot to add the one year after release.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Amphibian Pal Lush.4185

Amphibian Pal Lush.4185

I am going to save the crap out of this post.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

when tuesday comes and it turns out to not be a dungeon.

Attachments:

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

l want all the temp dungeons back, aetherblade, molten alliance, i want them back ! ;; permanently TT

Are you Shpongled?

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I don’t see why temp dungeons matter. I never see people doing the new TA path.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

That’s because the new TA path is too long and too hard for the rewards it offers. Players always gravitate to parts of the game where they can get the most rewards for the least effort. ALWAYS.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Csele.1647

Csele.1647

it doesnt matter if its a dungeon or temporary content.. in the best scenario it will be a story mode dungeon.. 1 time and never comeback type of dungeon ..but i bet it is not even a dungeon…

in The Nightmare Within

The Master.2893

…Indeed more temp content. No way this can be done in 2 weeks… even 4 weeks. Too much content and never enough time…

Indeed it is so…

THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN!