Dry top is EXTREMELY frame rate taxing

in Living World

Posted by: eye floater.7140

eye floater.7140

I usually get decent FPS in most maps, but everywhere in Drytop so far, my frame rate is the same as with 50+ zergs in WVW.
Why is it so bad?
And yeah, my computer sucks, but this map is especially horrible.
^ ^
with all settings on the lowest available

(edited by eye floater.7140)

in Living World

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Dear Gods don’t look at the fire! Oh god the fire!

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Living World

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

No issues regarding FPS for me, but I’ve got an alright gaming rig to handle GW2. GTX770 + i7 950 Bloomfield running at 60fps.

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

in Living World

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

I got crap pc aswell, but framerate same as usual on new map pretty much.
Maybe it’s just cause of so many people on the map on new update. Try and limit character models.

in Living World

Posted by: Kevin.4389

Kevin.4389

My FPS is like 3-8 On the new map -_-

in Living World

Posted by: eye floater.7140

eye floater.7140

Every single setting is as low as it can go. It only gets better with the sandstorm.
kittening frustrating as kitten trying to do this JP with 17 FPS. It’s bullkitten.

in Living World

Posted by: Cael.3960

Cael.3960

I’ve got an ancient PC as well, but that hasn’t been an issue for most of the releases since launch. But maps with a significant number of particle effects (fire, smoke, dust, etc., as well as zergs with all the effects on skill use…) bring my FPS to it’s knees.

Adjusting the camera so that the only thing being rendered on screen are the player character, enemies, and ground texture brings FPS back up to a manageable level. Still, how long do we have to wait for some kind of particle effect slider?

in Living World

Posted by: Nebulis.8973

Nebulis.8973

Doing fine here with a GTX 760 and i5 2500k. Pretty solid 60-70 fps.

Ranger ~ Gwenavin Silvarlsti
Warrior ~ Kahless Coldstone
Elementalist ~ Kira The Star Child | Server ~ FA

in Living World

Posted by: Codata.2019

Codata.2019

Same for me. My FPS is 8 in the new map almost impossible to play for me…

in Living World

Posted by: Nebulis.8973

Nebulis.8973

Funny thing I just noticed.. during the sand storm my frames when up by 10 to about 80 fps

Ranger ~ Gwenavin Silvarlsti
Warrior ~ Kahless Coldstone
Elementalist ~ Kira The Star Child | Server ~ FA

in Living World

Posted by: jdkentucky.2871

jdkentucky.2871

Right on my world i can not play it .. But every other map is running 60fps. Even turning down has not helped.. I will give it another try in in a day or two perhaps too many players are maxing out the map…

in Living World

Posted by: Victor.7894

Victor.7894

I’m a WvW player, I always have playable FPS but in Dry Top it’s freaking unplayable. I won’t be able to complete this living story. I feel kind of let down by Guild Wars 2, got to change computer to keep playing the game ! Well maybe it’s just me.

in Living World

Posted by: mike.5476

mike.5476

Well, I haven’t played the patch yet, worked all morning and I have night classes :/. I play a ton of pc games so I invested quite a bit into my rig. why not put some money into your pc so you can play the games the way they were meant to be played? That way you don’t have to worry about a simple patch or update ruining your experience. The new environment must be using some new particle effects or fancier textures than the other zones. Good luck!

in Living World

Posted by: Codata.2019

Codata.2019

Well, I haven’t played the patch yet, worked all morning and I have night classes :/. I play a ton of pc games so I invested quite a bit into my rig. why not put some money into your pc so you can play the games the way they were meant to be played? That way you don’t have to worry about a simple patch or update ruining your experience. The new environment must be using some new particle effects or fancier textures than the other zones. Good luck!

Not all can afford it…

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

This is definitely a hardware problem. Usually that means it’s time for a new graphics card. I’m in the same boat as you. My FPS is 20 on the new map, and my 3 year old computer is using a Radeon HD 5450 card. In other parts of the game my FPS is 30 to 45 (including WvW ).

If your computer is more than 2 years old, you will need to upgrade the graphics card to play this game. Contact your PC’s manufacturer for suggestions and/or go to websites like Tom’s Hardware forums (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/) for advice.

If you are using a Hewlett Packard computer, you can try to get advice from the official forums: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/

Other possible problems:

1) Power supply unit (PSU) is not giving enough juice to the graphics card or the PSU is giving up. This problem happened to me a month ago, and it caused my FPS to drop from 30 fps to 5 fps before the PSU died.

If you bought your computer at a store, you may need to change out the PSU. Most computer manufacturers in the United States use a 300 watt PSU which isn’t enough power for a really good graphics card. Do some online research on your graphics card and find out its Minimum System Power Requirement. If you’re low on money, a good gaming PSU is the Corsair CX series. I have the Corsair CX 430 on my computer and it helped boost my FPS. My new PSU costed $39 on Amazon.com

2) Your computer is running too hot. Heat and/or dust can affect your computer’s performance.

To find out if your computer has a heat problem, download an open source program called SpeedFan and run it on your machine as you play GW2. Go to http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php and click on SpeedFan 4.49 (highlighted in blue) to download the program.

FYI— When you use the Speed Fan program, a green checkmark indicates normal temperature. Blue down arrow indicates cooler temperature. Red up arrow indicates that the temperature is rising. The Fire Symbol means that some parts of your computer are running really hot. Obviously, it’s bad to get the Fire symbol on anything other than the GPU (graphic card). That usually means that you’ll need to dust the inside of your comptuer with a can of compressed air (available at Wal-Mart or your local computer store) . FYI — Don’t ever open the PSU to dust it. Think of it like an Asuran golem energy core. You can get shocked or eletrocuted if you open it up. It’s best to leave the PSU alone and just dust the other parts of the computer with air (like the heat sink, motherboard, and the graphics card).

GW2 causes most graphics cards to run really hot. The only time you should be worried for the GPU is if the temperature is getting close to the card’s Maximum GPU temperature. You’ll need to do some research on your graphics card to find out its Maximum GPU Temperature.

3) You don’t have enough RAM. Memory can also affect FPS as well as the computer’s processing speed. Max out your computer’s RAM. If you aren’t sure how much RAM to add to the computer, contact your computer’s manufacturer.

4) Your computer’s motherboard might be giving up, or it might be too old. This is a worst case scenario. If it happens to you, it’s best to buy a new computer or build a new one.

(edited by kta.6502)

in Living World

Posted by: aelfwe.4239

aelfwe.4239

This is definitely a hardware problem.

Not at all. This is definetely just a bad example dev optimization.

I play on a 5 years old pc.

My gf is playing on 1 years old msi high end laptop that is like 5x my pc.

Usually msi own my pc in every single content of gw2.

Except dry top where without any reason i stay around 30 fps and my gf drop to 8.

That’s not hardware issue, that is NOT having optimizate stuff properly on some hardware setting\fx cards

Aelfwe Dark Asura Mesmer\Thief,
FREE PYRO

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Kta, that post helps no one.

My computer copes well enough in the region but I will admit it is noticeably more intensive than usual. I would hate to see players excluded because Arena Net are pushing the games graphics and low end systems too far.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Living World

Posted by: ugdup.2371

ugdup.2371

I’m using an old GTX560Ti, and i can run it on ultra with around 60fps.
It’s no different than other zones, and no.. Huge Zergs in WvW is far worse.

Don’t tell ANet to make crappy zones/graphics because you have a PC from the 90s.
Please..

in Living World

Posted by: mike.5476

mike.5476

Gw2 is a beautiful MMO, and as patches or expansions come along chances are the devs will add little enhancements which will tax your pc. I’m sure there are players that spend a lot of money on gems, that money could go towards a new gfx card, or cpu. Playing anything below 60 frames drives me up a wall lol, sorry if that makes me sound like I’m bragging, but I’m not.

in Living World

Posted by: fumbii.3582

fumbii.3582

I have no problems on my laptop, I’m using i3 and GT740M
I think I’m even getting better fps in sandstorm

in Living World

Posted by: SvenskNavi.9378

SvenskNavi.9378

Also playing on a laptop, noticed absolutely zero difference in performance.

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

Except dry top where without any reason i stay around 30 fps and my gf drop to 8.

That’s not hardware issue, that is NOT having optimizate stuff properly on some hardware setting\fx cards

I should of clarified that my advice was for people with low end or average PCs.

The average person usually play MMOs on low end PCs. You know, the kind of comptuer that runs for $700 or less. If you can afford the high end stuff that costs $1000 or more, then you won’t need to upgrade as often. You can also overclock a high end PC, but overclocking can damage a low end computer. I know for a fact that Hewlett Packard (HP) doesn’t design their computers’ motherboards for overclocking. GW2 runs on my HP computer. When I called them with questions about upgrading the hardware, the company recently warned me not to overclock.

Since the late 1990s, my practice has been to buy PCs on sale then upgrade them over the next few years. It gives me the opportunity to learn how to build and fix PCs. That’s how I know this stuff.

Sure there may be some issues with the game, but that isn’t something we can control. Yeah we can complain on the forums, but if the issue is with the computer, no amount of patches is going to fix a player’s hardware problem.

It’s also no secret that MMOs always have changing requirements esp. graphics requirements. Even WOW has changing requirements with each new expansion. There are going to be times when players have to upgrade their hardware.

I’m able to play this game at 20 fps, but it’s at the lowest settings. It doesn’t look good at the lowest graphics settings. In my case, I’m just going to have to invest in a new card and max out my computer’s RAM to 16 GB. I’m only encouraging others who have similar problems to consider investing in new hardware as needed.

(edited by kta.6502)

in Living World

Posted by: Ignigknawt.7869

Ignigknawt.7869

Just finished mapping the new area with no problems either, both in and out of the sand storms. Running on a win8 laptop with NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M with intel i7. Guys you might need to check how much memory is being used for background apps and stuff like that. I was running slow the other day before i decided to open up task manager and end some things, and that seemed to help.

“Many times I’ve wondered…how much there is to know.”

in Living World

Posted by: Lachanche.6859

Lachanche.6859

If your computer is more than 2 years old, you will need to upgrade the graphics card to play this game.

Nope. I bought my pc in 2010, back then it was an excellent performer, nowadays it still gets the job done and has yet to let me down.
gt 440 graphic card
i7 2600 processor

You see you might be tempted to go for a cheap solution but in the long run future proofing your investement will make you save money.

in Living World

Posted by: Edmo.7159

Edmo.7159

I agree, i play since beta and at this time the maps are not optimized. I do not buy any new computer and my FPS now is 4x better only with optimization across upgrades (
I’m not counting on the update of models, that only have taken effect in zergs). I could say that its 2x better, but before I was playing on low and now I play with various effects and bigger resolution too, so…

Particle effects make no difference here, this is weird, several people were afraid that the sandstorm was drop the FSP, but when the storm is strong FPS increases.

I know this game uses Umbra Occlusion and it improves performance, I think this new map is not using this technology properly, it works only when there is strong storm.

Umbra Occlusion demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h4QgDBwQhc

At most maps i can have a huge FPS improvement looking to the ground, or ween i have only a wall showing on my screen… in this new map its not the case.

(edited by Edmo.7159)

in Living World

Posted by: Aerin Dark Water.6283

Aerin Dark Water.6283

I’m been having issues too where I didn’t use to have them. It seems that every time the sandstorm comes I’m dropping in frame rate… Anyone know a setting to lessen the sand/partials? (also would help with the dive. can’t see crap past the clouds and sand.)

Want an art commission of your character? PM me to find out how! In-game gold art commissions!

in Living World

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

Getting 60 stable FPS on a mid-range card here, all max settings (except shadows at high).

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

in Living World

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Seems fine here. Radeon 5770 (definitely not a new card) with I think a Phenom II 930 or something like that. Most settings on medium except model limit which is on lowest, it’s not like I can really see the individual people anyway.

One thing I would recommend is to make sure you don’t have any webpages with a video on it opened even if it is not playing. I can very consistently drop my FPS by half(down to 30 or less) just by forgetting to close a youtube page.

in Living World

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

50-60+ fps here.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Living World

Posted by: Sithis.3564

Sithis.3564

This is not an fps race.

The truth is, that this new area is badly optimized.

I run every other map on near max settings, even WvW but on Dry Top I need to go low on everything. Hell, it seems the sandstorm aren’t even the problem because I can run almost smooth through them.

It’s not about making crappier maps, because people have old PC’s. I can point few areas which are bigger and have better visuals but don’t burn my PC.

in Living World

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I had no issues this afternoon, played for hours in the new map, in a crowd and solo, with everything on high, and didn’t lag a second. Then the hotfix hit to rectify the crash issue went through, and now I lag constantly no matter how I set my graphics or where I am in the zone.

I’ve checked and it’s nothing on my end. And if I leave the area, or even go into a crowded WvW map, the lag is immediately gone. It is definitely something wrong with the Dry Top map.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Living World

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

I have no problems on my laptop, I’m using i3 and GT740M
I think I’m even getting better fps in sandstorm

Server crashes aside – For me (and until the patch two weeks ago – GW2 has had increasingly bad performance every update for the last 9 out of 12 months I’ve owned the game – first three months were beautiful) I’ve noticed no change in dry top relative to other maps. That’s not to discount the problems others are having – just giving another reference point.

I did notice the counter-intuitive thing that framerate increases during sandstorms… maybe a function of distant objects not being rendered?

in Living World

Edmo.7159

Buy a new computer can be no excuse. Everyone that said it’s ok have good PCs. But a lot of people with PCs better than minimum requirements are in trouble. So the info at http://buy.guildwars2.com are a false, you cant play the entire game with minimum requirements or even a bit better.

i know the page also says: Due to potential changes, system requirements may change over time, and you may be required to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to continue to play the game.

…but, whats the point to put this game on low settings if almost noting change? This map still beautiful on low… so much beautiful than other maps on medium settings. They can create beautiful maps, they must create… but need to be like that on high settings not on low.

in Living World

Sithis.3564

I doubt the main issue is hardware. Sure if you have a new PC, there’s a higher chance you’ll have less problems. However there are people with older machines that have this map on higher fps then those with new ones.

I really don’t get it. It looks like there are some issues with the objects/textures or whatever is loading in the far distance. Like I said before. My game works better in the sandstorm than when I’m looking into the horizon, mountains etc.

in Living World

Posted by: ArchieD.6972

ArchieD.6972

Framerate: 68 fps
Settings: Max

Processor: Intel i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7770 Series

Just for a comparison… this is with sandstorm, but not many people around.

10 Level 80s | http://tinyurl.com/oj4e9hr
1900+ Hrs Played | http://tinyurl.com/ppq4ksz
No Precursor | http://tinyurl.com/njgsg3l

in Living World

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

I have a crap PC (i3-3220, GeForce 630, HDD), but on optimum settings Dry Top isn’t as taxing as say, WvW, given that I get 30 FPS vs 8 FPS on zergs. Even in sandstorms. Maybe there’s an architectural issue at hand? For those of you that get 8 FPS, what’s your system’s cards?

in Living World

Posted by: Shakki.3219

Shakki.3219

60fps most of the time with no massive zerg nearby (even with ultra shadow) 4770k

Reaper – Anguîsh

in Living World

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

My frame rates are okay, but I get random skill lag of up to 10 seconds (!!!).

I know it’s not my network – my boyfriend and I are on the same router and both lag out, but not simultaneously.

in Living World

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I’m experiencing similar issues. The framerate in Dry Top is unusually low compared to other maps.

This is without the sandstorm.

I would be severely disappointed if this was not addressed. Guild Wars as a franchise was always known for its great graphics at low system requirements, and I would like to see that follow through with new maps like Dry Top.

in Living World

Sithis.3564

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1090T (6x CPU), ~3.2GHz
Asus Crosshair III
Kingston HyperX 4×2GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 5970 2GB

No issues with every other map since the launch. Almost highest settings.

My fps dropped by a half on this new map.

in Living World

Posted by: Exit.5213

Exit.5213

Dry Top seems to be extremely taxing due to ammount of high detailed environment and verticality of the map, so at any point it’s at least twice as straining as maps coming with inital release.

Game could really use some option to toggle fog and lower view distance for those of us playing on subpar equipment.
I’m getting stable 30-25 FPS on medium settings while exploring let’s say.. Brisban or Mount Maelstrom. FPS drop when zerg goes all out is fair play, but here in Dry Top nothing straining is really happening and FPS is constantly around 15 FPS, even less sometimes.

@Snowmoon below
Using laptop which is already more than 4 years old. Go figure ^^

(edited by Exit.5213)

in Living World

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

I have absolutely no problems with Dry Top and i’m even using a laptop
which is already more then a year old. I’m guessing your computer really sucks.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

in Living World

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

No problems here either, all maxed, around 60fps since V-sync is on.
FX-6350, 8GB RAM, R9 280X Toxic.

in Living World

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

smoothly as hot knife on butter with a x6 1090 and ati6850.

@OP try to disable shadows or something

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Living World

Sithis.3564

Disabling shadows won’t solve the problem here. What everyone with good fps seems to not understand is that we didn’t downgrade our PC’s. We get decent fps on every other map just not this. Dry Top is simply badly optimized and the only solution is that devs will do something about it.

in Living World

Posted by: Ixillius.5768

Ixillius.5768

The preformance issues with GW2 go back all the way to launch.
In the first year I’ve send support a ticket which basically ended up not really helping much. Half thinking about sending them another one.

After all the suggestions to disable crossfire X and to unpark cores, I didnt notice any increase in FPS from them.

Some setups just dont work well with gw2 for whatever reason.

I really hope they are still working on this problem.

PS:
Proc: i7 940
Vcard: radeon HD 5970 2g
Mb: Rampage II extreme
Ram: 3x 2g Corsair

FPS: between 10 and 20 regular game (It used to be below that but a patch a few months ago did something to increase it) 14fps or lower in dry top.

in Living World

Edmo.7159

This map is 4x bigger than what we have now.

source: http://i.imgur.com/hpKSgJr.png

So i hope the full version of the map will be optimized, i don’t think Anet will waste their time doing something to fix this now… just wait for the full map.

At least it is not a temporary event, it’s permanent.

in Living World

Posted by: Heather.4823

Heather.4823

Frame rate for me on dry top is horrible too, as someone said earlier, about the same as with big zergs on wvw

Siren – Aurora Glade

in Living World

Posted by: Ixillius.5768

Ixillius.5768

Thats quite intresting actually Edmo. Thanks for pointing that out

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

If your computer is more than 2 years old, you will need to upgrade the graphics card to play this game.

No. That is total Bull. My PC was built 7 years ago. For around £500.

Intel 2.66Ghz dual core, 4GB Kingston Ram, BFG 9800GT 3GBDDR3(this is a new version of the same card after the old one died.) Gigabyte motherboard. Can’t remember the middle. 1000W switching PSU, I think it’s coolerball, Gigabyte case. The only time I get bad frame rates is in WvW, but I just drop the setting from all on, to best performance. And it’s fine. So that statement is completely false.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|