Pseudocontent =/= Smart Move

in Living World

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

By adding repetition and RNG with collections, you have promoted something awful in this game:

1. Map hopping to find a map closest to breach
2. LFG Flood to taxi people to “xx% SW”
3. Tagging champs to maximize extracted part loot instead of actively participating in a successful kill
4. Overall dissatisfaction of playerbase

All these simply shadows the beautiful art and the game-play mechanics that you are trying to offer.

Leave RNG to Korean MMOs. I can play those when we want excitement with RNG. I am playing your game with a different intent.

Speaking for myself here. Maybe for some it is a great thing to have in a game, pseudocontent.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

(edited by velmeister.4187)

in Living World

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Abusing the contribution system has been going on since launch. Simply hit the boss once and AFK – no point in participating since you’ll get the full rewards regardless. If they made your contribution actually matter, people not running DPS specs would complain and class balancing would become an even bigger issue. If they implemented contribution scoreboards, people would be called out after failed events.

Silverwastes is nowhere near the level of Korean RNG, which is basically precursors if they were soulbound. Silverwastes is pretty much what standard MMOs are like. The rewards aren’t meant to be effortlessly handed to you. Collecting the full set is meant to show dedication. How the rewards in Silverwastes are setup was asked for in the past.

Also, if all grind/RNG was removed, people would play it once and move on while complaining about the lack of content, replay value, etc.

in Living World

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Abusing the contribution system has been going on since launch. Simply hit the boss once and AFK – no point in participating since you’ll get the full rewards regardless. If they made your contribution actually matter, people not running DPS specs would complain and class balancing would become an even bigger issue. If they implemented contribution scoreboards, people would be called out after failed events.

And here comes the solution:
implement a passive system that keeps track of your actions.
Last dmg you’ve applied is more than 30sec ago? you failed the event personally.
You were operating (not afking) a turret at tequatl?
You get the event.

Don’t let the contribution scale on the dmg you dealt, but on the actions per minute.
If they drop below – lets say – 10 seconds (one attack every 6 seconds… c’mon even a scrub manages that), you get notified that you did not contributed enough for the event, which means that you get bronze event reward, but no chest (in case of a worldboss / farmfest event).

No more AFK’ers or speed-tagger.

You know that a system sucks, if a random, over-tired guy can barf out a better one in 10 min…

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Living World

Posted by: Cherokeewill.7504

Cherokeewill.7504

By adding healing (not passive heals due to auras but active, cast heals) to this scheme you’d get a thumbs up from me. If one switches to defense and guards the SW base NPC, covering them with heals while the other PCs are cleaning away the outside, you get far less credit. You keep them alive long enough to get the group back in to actually save the event from failing or becoming that much harder as we have to resurrect the NPC with Mordrem on our backs. Yet, you are awarded silver after this effort. I’ve seen this on both my Guardian and Elementalist when I switch to heals.

I know Anet wants to stay away from trinity, but why not at least add heals into the calculations for event scoring? If I have big green numbers flashing on my screen, they should count at least as much as the white.

in Living World

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

The rewards aren’t meant to be effortlessly handed to you. Collecting the full set is meant to show dedication.

And RNG achieves that?

Guy A – Gets all the items collected in 10 events.
Guy B – Never gets half of them after 100 events.

Clearly, RNG is the correct unit of measurement for one’s dedication and effort. I don’t know but, this logic/fallacy is applied to support RNG based pseudo-content or to argue in favor of RNG driven gaming. I mean is there a school that teaches this nonsense?

Also, if all grind/RNG was removed, people would play it once and move on while complaining about the lack of content, replay value, etc.

No. People do not play to grind/RNG. They play towards completing a goal/objective. If ANET keeps adding variety of rewarding objectives, people will continue to play. RNG is not the hook that keeps playerbase entertained, it simply alienates it.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

in Living World

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I don’t know where you find this “overall dissatisfaction of the playerbase” in relation to SW, everyone I hear (friends, guild, map chat) is happy about the area and its loot output.

in Living World

Posted by: Waldir.2571

Waldir.2571

I’m sure anet did plan for it to turn the way it did, it is very hard to predict what kind cleaver shortcuts players will come up with in order to get the shinies fast.

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Last dmg you’ve applied is more than 30sec ago? you failed the event personally.
You get the event.

Don’t let the contribution scale on the dmg you dealt, but on the actions per minute.
If they drop below – lets say – 10 seconds (one attack every 6 seconds… c’mon even a scrub manages that), you get notified that you did not contributed enough for the event, which means that you get bronze event reward, but no chest (in case of a worldboss / farmfest event).

No more AFK’ers or speed-tagger.

You know that a system sucks, if a random, over-tired guy can barf out a better one in 10 min…

This would put too much stress on the servers and could be prone to bugs/glitches.

in Living World

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

I don’t know where you find this “overall dissatisfaction of the playerbase” in relation to SW, everyone I hear (friends, guild, map chat) is happy about the area and its loot output.

the overall opinion of the playerbase is exactly my opinion. I’m lucky or awesome in that way.

Good news is, accordingly, the overall opinion of the playerbase is that SW is great, and if anything TOO rewarding. The playerbase would also prefer if the luminescent pieces were really time-consuming to get so every kitten doesn’t have a full set on day 2.

in Living World

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

You get the event.

So if you carried an entire group and contributed the most overall but got killed near the end, you get nothing. In comparison, someone barely playing gets fully rewarded.

What happens when I run it at the last second?

The only thing your solution solves is tagging and running while creating other problems. For example, people wouldn’t want to waste time reviving others and those people that usually die, they would complain and/or spec full defense and hide. Due to scaling, people that are barely contributing force other people to work harder or fail. There is no solution to determine someone’s actual contribution and because of that, there will always be a way to abuse the system.

No. People do not play to grind/RNG. They play towards completing a goal/objective.

If everything was given to you in a single try, would you still be playing that content?

Everything where more than 1 is required is a subtle grind that increases your playtime. When people judge a game by it’s length, a map by its size, etc, people are actually wanting grinds that they don’t notice. The simple act of having to run an extra minute to get somewhere is a grind that makes the world feel larger.

Personally, I’m just playing the game and don’t really care. I also expect that the last piece will likely be far harder to acquire, not be given a specialized extractor and will be tied to an event that zergs will likely cause to fail.

in Living World

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’ve never really had a problem with the “tag and leave” thing.

I mean, I don’t doubt it happens, I’m not at all claiming it doesn’t. In fact, I’m positive it does. But it doesn’t happen to the point where it ever becomes an actual problem, in my experience. There are never (or very rarely) so many people doing it that the events don’t complete. There’s always people who do stay and finish the event. Because if no one completes the event, then no one gets rewarded.

The whole breach taxi situation, though… that I definitely notice constantly and cannot stand. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I actually LIKE the Silverwastes. I like working together with the map to capture and hold forts, move supplies, ect. That sort of coordination and working together is very fun to me, especially since I don’t do PvP / WvW, so I don’t really get that experience too often in PvE.

But actually doing that is becoming increasingly difficult, because everyone just taxis to the next map close to breach instead of actually sticking with the map and doing the events all the way through. I’ll be in a full map with a nice population, plenty of people, complete the breach, complete the maze, and then… the entire map just implodes. What was previously a full map with every fort turns held at level 3 turns into a map with so few people that you’re lucky if you can actually hold 2 forts. What was once a good 10+ people defending each fort turns into me and one other guy feebly trying to hold off half a dozen teragriffs while having rocks rained on our heads from outside.

I mean, I get it. Rewards-wise, why stay on a map for 30 minutes doing events which only give a few bandit crests when you can jump on LFG and do 3+ breaches in that same amount of time, especially when you need to do dozens of breaches to get all the parts you need. Its just a shame the normal map dynamic is being killed off because of it.

in Living World

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yes, i’m pretty sure that’s why more and more people complain that SW empties too easily, with barely anyone to do events and most people that still remain only jumping from map to map in search of breach/labyrinth events (but wanting to skip all the rest).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November