Rytlock Ritual End Fight

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Mian.1945

Mian.1945

The first blue ball that explodes on you teaches you to avoid them (run/dodge/stability). The fears are small red circles painted on the ground covering very little of the floor space. The chill does next to nothing.

The CC in this fight is barely a factor. A mesmer should be able to GS their way through this without blinking. Take a missile reflect skill if you want to cheese most of the ghosts into killing themselves for you.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

Rytlock is so great. Deserves a spectacular death scene

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Lakanna.2073

Lakanna.2073

I enjoyed the fight and thought it was way better than the buggy modrem boss outside Fort Salma in the last episode.

Kas and Marjory decided to walk away in that fight for me. I didn’t find out untill later that they were supposed to be there helping…

The statue fight isn’t difficult, really, but it feels like you’re trying to do everything yourself: your allies can’t do any significant damage to Barradin, they ignore the fear wards, can’t kill the ghosts that are attacking them, and if you value your sanity, don’t count on them to do anything about the menders. So you’re stuck running back and forth, killing menders and trying to do some damage to the statue, while the archers ignore your useless companions to hit you with crippling shots.

Overall, the fight just seemed to take too long, and I think it’s because you spend so much of the fight running and dodging between “kill the mender” and “hit the statue.” It would be nice if you didn’t have to run the entire length of the room, dodging orbs, archers, and fear wards, twice every 30 seconds (however long the menders take to spawn.)

I eventually got sick of it and when the statue was at about 1/3 health, just ignored the menders and killed the statue. Took less than a minute for me to kill it from there, even though Smodur had been hitting it ineffectively for almost 10.

“entitled”: Ad Hominem fallacy condensed to a single word.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Are you sure it wasn’t just bugged or something?

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

0_0 rly there are some people who cant win this fight ?! My friend on nomand guard did this instance in circa 11 min . Now I understand why Anet doesn`t want to increase difficulty on pve(which anyway is pathetic standing and 111111)

Duh, obviously it’s easy on a guardian, with stability, aegis and condition removal on tap.

Why even post that?

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Groonz.7825

Groonz.7825

People that can’t do these living story stuff I would love to see them record their gameplay and show exactly how it is so hard that they can’t do it.

As it is, my idea of people can’t can’t do content are people who are running in mixture of blues and greens and just randomly place trait points (a little in here a little in there, no idea what these traits are, let’s pick some random stuff).

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Other than that, simply pray a rockfall smaller AoE doesn’t spawn on top of you, or a fearward (I was feared for like 15 seconds when one did this…), and it really shouldn’t be too challenging for anyone.

Murphy’s law says it will never be one spawning in top of you, it will be either zero, or three in a row. And if you get feared it will always be straight towards the nearest orb.

I’m not sure what the spawn rates of those orbs are supposed to be, but at one point I was trying to kite three of them.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: DutchRiders.2871

DutchRiders.2871

You can get the statue to the next phase ( maybe a little bit class dependent) in 2 maybe 3 skills. On my Power elementalist it takes one lava font+meteor shower + burning retreat (vs the wall). Mesmers with great sword, sword focus can simply summon 2 phantasms and pop time warp, will get it down to the next phase in no time. Once he hits his next phase, start ranging and kill the mender while also beating some ghosts, traited focus reflects so those archers/mages should be no problem? In otherwords, simply bring stun breaks + condition clearing + dodges so you can survive, the adds and the statue will melt away.

Keep you’re stunbreaks/cleanses to cleanse the fears and kd’s especially when you need to burn the mender down. Dodge/kite the flames or use distortion on f4 or sword 2, alternatively you can use a blink skill ( swap on sword 3 or blink).

So in burn phase: stand at the side (melee range) and burn it down quickly, or simply in front and evade the KD.

In the charge phase, range and focus menders, while killing ghosts and avoiding the flame, fears and knockbacks. I would recommend clearing the chill so you can more comfortably kite the flames and avoid KD’s and also KB and cripple the mender.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

Actually npces in this fight are working great , they agro all archers etc. If this guy hitting statue would be able to kill it, it would be too op . I finished this fight as nomand guard in 10 min and as dps around 5-6 .

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: megakittytron.5971

megakittytron.5971

I beat that fight my first play through on my mesmer main; but yeah it took really long and was super annoying. I use zerk gear and scepter/focus/pistol ( I know, weird build). When menders start running down the stairs use your focus skill to knock them back.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I also want to add that you can attack the statue for a few seconds before the fight actually starts.

I’m actually curious how it can take people 15+ minutes. I did it in maybe 5-7 minutes (wasn’t keeping track) solo with guardian. I did not use stability nor did I negate CC with aegis from the statue’s attacks as everything (really only one attack) was avoided by dodging. The statue will only use the hammer attack if you’re within range in front. It never used it when I attacked from the sides.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

or my favorite of all “I should be able to do all the content regardless of skill level!”

That’s the only point I cant agree with; I don’t believe there should be any gated content… a harder version with better rewards, titles, and achievements, yes; but content only hardcore players can play, no.

Content should be for everyone, rewards and achievements… they should be earned.

So I guess we should make Arah, Liadri, etc. easier so all players can play them?

I would say yes on liadri because you have to solo her… I feel like, rather than having to fight your way up to her, and thus creating gated content for those who aren’t skilled enough to do so. It should instead be set up like fractals, where you can fight all bosses at various levels of difficulty, with the hardest having achievements, rewards, and titles. That way it is still rewarding and challenging, gives players initionative to work their way up, the various levels teach them and help them become stronger players, and the easy level makes it so that no content is gated and everyone can experience the battle.

As for Arah… its all a matter of team work and group composition, even a newbie can suceed if he goes in with weathered veterns… or a group of average casual players who work well together can struggle through it and manage to defeat it eventually. I wouldn’t call myself a hardcore or casual player, probably somwhere in between, but I’ve been on Arah runs where it was as easy as cutting a pie, and runs where by the end, only one member remains from the original team composition… but for all its difficulty, Arah is something everyone can beat, if only through the good grace of others.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

The first blue ball that explodes on you teaches you to avoid them (run/dodge/stability). The fears are small red circles painted on the ground covering very little of the floor space. The chill does next to nothing.

The CC in this fight is barely a factor. A mesmer should be able to GS their way through this without blinking. Take a missile reflect skill if you want to cheese most of the ghosts into killing themselves for you.

worth mentioning the fear wards can be destroyed also, very quickly at that.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: raahk.2786

raahk.2786

People actually had problems with this boss?
People are actually wanting them to nerf difficulty?
Things in this game are easy enough. I’d rather they stop with the mindless nerfing just to appeal to people that refuse to learn basic mechanics.
To add to the dungeon discussion, every dungeon in the game is easy. When every single dungeon can be beat by the same strategy (stack on boss, kill boss), then dungeons, even arah, should not be considered difficult by anyone.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

Things in this game are easy enough. I’d rather they stop with the mindless nerfing just to appeal to people that refuse to learn basic mechanics.
To add to the dungeon discussion, every dungeon in the game is easy. When every single dungeon can be beat by the same strategy (stack on boss, kill boss), then dungeons, even arah, should not be considered difficult by anyone.

i agree in 100% , guild wars 2 in few words : 111111 hitting same mob with different name 11111111 boss fight 1111111 world event 111111+runing to the corner 11111111

rly maybe when I was growing up games were more difficult or people just didn`t run to forum after every death writing pls nerf it ,it killed me(eyes full of tears) or i just like games like dark souls ,ninja gaiden 2, older final fantasy even resident evil 2 had higher lvl.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

i agree in 100% , guild wars 2 in few words : 111111 hitting same mob with different name 11111111 boss fight 1111111 world event 111111+runing to the corner 11111111

rly maybe when I was growing up games were more difficult or people just didn`t run to forum after every death writing pls nerf it ,it killed me(eyes full of tears) or i just like games like dark souls ,ninja gaiden 2, older final fantasy even resident evil 2 had higher lvl.

Um, so what are u doing here again?
Coz frankly if the game is so bad for you, so easy and not challenging at all, those games u mentioned are still out there and i’m curious why u are here and not playing them?

I’ve seen people like you in the past coming on these forums, putting gw2 down by whining how easy it is and presents no challenging content for these self-proclaimed hot shots, while in most cases, they don’t even play the game any more. They use semantics and catch phrases like “1111” to demean others and make them feel inadequate and to demean the game itself.

So to appease them, Anet adds events like the great wurm and tequatil, which btw used be enjoyed by a huge number of people, including lower than lvl 80 players, to now where it’s only being done by a select few. Meanwhile, these so called hot shots are nowhere to be seen, They still end up leaving the game anyway, or weren’t playing it to begin with and the gw2’s community has to deal with the consenquences.

Imo, not all content should be hard in a game, particularly an MMO, where u have to cater to masses of varying tastes, ages and abilities. You saying, when i was growing up games were more difficult, reminds me of my grandma, who always made a point to remind me of how things were much harder in her youth. Maybe the reason people didn’t come to complain on the forum in them days, was the very limitation of internet at the time or simply that online games weren’t as popular as they are now. It’s pointless trying to go back to the past, it’s a different world now. Now every man and his dog has a PC and internet connected. Some years ago, i could count on my hand how many had it in my town.

Today, with hectic lifestyles and limited amount of leisure time, some people play games to relax and have fun. Maybe your kind of fun is dying 1000 times and for you that means a good challenge, but it’s not to everyone’s taste and certainly not mine. It’s nice sometimes to just have a “walk in the park” in a game, rather then be stressed out all time with every little bit of content that you come across. I’m not saying that’s what gw2 is, but if Anet listens to these so called hot shots, this game would become unplayable for most people especially newcomers. They would start playing, die a lot, then leave the game and post on internet how gw2 sucks.

I do believe there should be content for players like you as well and you do have some, like fractals, dungeons and those i mentioned above. I’m cretanly not aversed to Anet adding more instanced challenges for people who want that. but open world should be relatively easy for leveling, except perhaps the world events.

But like some others have said in this thread, story should never be presented like that. It should always be enjoyable and about the story itself, with perhaps mild challenges. It should never be about neither skills or kills and certainly not designed for pure frustration just for the sake of it. Because no matter how good the story may be, when u get that frustrated, the story is lost and all it becomes in ur mind is, ugh let me just get through it so i never have to do it again and that is a real shame, especially if the story is good.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Not too hard. Am I right in thinking that even the most casual player has a very simple solution – bring friends?

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Not too hard. Am I right in thinking that even the most casual player has a very simple solution – bring friends?

“WHAT? SOCIALIZE IN AN MMO!? HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST SUCH A OBVIOUS AND REASONABLE SOLUTION!”

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: ghtchill.7613

ghtchill.7613

This was not too hard. I agree with those that say that it wasn’t too hard and not too easy. I did it on my Warrior first and she’s very tough so could easily withstand the disco balls hitting her, probably took 15 mins honestly. I did it with my Ranger next (mostly Knights and some Zerker) and I went down a couple of times to the disco balls of flame, and even got hit by another just as I was about to get up, but did it in about the same amount of time…maybe a couple minutes more due to mender making it before I recovered from several downs due to disco ball waves.

On my ranger though it was a little weird, like the menders seemed to come quicker. I spent about half the fight by the door, and then I headed to the side of the statue to dps it with S/W and GS. I would have to run back to grab a mender, but they are easy to trap and take down provided you are not dodging a disco ball. I could dps down the statue pretty well, kill ghosts until Rytlok charges up the sword and then dps like hell. I got hit by a couple more disco balls in the last phase, but got it done. I’m wondering what it would be like with spirits up…

Next I am trying it on my Guardian and then my Necro. I expect the toughest ones will be my Thief and Ele, because they are squishy.

Anyway, it’s not too hard, and all in all quite enjoyable. I wouldn’t change a thing.

TC

(edited by ghtchill.7613)

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: leviathan.6907

leviathan.6907

or my favorite of all “I should be able to do all the content regardless of skill level!”

That’s the only point I cant agree with; I don’t believe there should be any gated content… a harder version with better rewards, titles, and achievements, yes; but content only hardcore players can play, no.

Content should be for everyone, rewards and achievements… they should be earned.

people want hardcore content for a reason because they want to strive to be above others and achieve awards that bad players do not deserve that is the way of life. The weak must die so the strong may live. If something super cool and shiny is available for all players of all skill levels then that shiny object is dull and lackluster LOL.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

just rly easy answear www and pvp, these are the most enjoyable things in this game and yh it is horrible that people try to fix pve lets turn gw into movie so everyone can enjoy story , maybe it will shock you but most people in mmo are looking for challenge for raids which take 2 hours and fail .but in gw2 there is no pve endgame content entire pve can be finished with one hand and with turned off screen and 99% of reviews and players who quits can tell you that .

And gw community is some kind special one , in most games people first are looking for strategies,guides how to finish fight dung etc. this community first comes here and asks for nerf after few hours after release ;D

(edited by VOLTCIEAGE.3029)

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Hrm, it can be a bit iffy on a full zerker Mesmer, granted. But then I never solo anything in MMOs, and with two players (Zerker Mesmer + Ranger) it was easily, split tasks and all was well.

Just group up.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Group up indeed. With 2-5 players you can breeze through it.

These boss fights can be done solo – even the bonus achievements can be done solo – and even on a mesmer. Actually it’s fairly good on a mesmer – the fights where melee wasn’t a good option took me way longer on a guardian.

I’m enjoying the boss fights a lot more than the other stuff in 5-player dungeons – these ones have less HP but require a little care in how you fight them. A lot of care, in fact, if you’re trying for the bonus achievements – which is a good move on Arenanet’s part, giving players who want to be challenged a means to do so.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

The nigh constant CC was irritating, but I got it in the first go. In melee, no less. (Which means I couldn’t hit those stupid fear turrets. =P)

I did end up wasting a lot of time trying to free up NPCs, and I think Rytlock almost died on me.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Ox See Sox.3687

Ox See Sox.3687

OP…..that fight can be anything but difficult for a Mes.

Im sure u can end it very fast if u procceed without rush.

Stay near the walls , using GS/Sword.Focus, u leave the weak ghost be with low life in order to rally, GS4/2/3 the Menders and Focus5/Dodge/Sword2/Dodge Back the statue whenever it is not Invul.

Use Mantra that remove conditions, basic heal and dodge the boss’s AoE. Dodge roll the bomb things the statue emits.

GG

So Much Roar/Grim/Blur/Brute (PM me in game if need help)

Brains > Brawls
So Much Blur

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: MatthewCam.4391

MatthewCam.4391

Not sure where this discussion is at I skimmed a bit but OP if you’re trying it on a mesmer (took me a few tries to get it as I relentlessly chased the achievements) there’s a few things I did that may help; I used a GS + s/s and my utilities were blink, null field and the mantra cleanse (swordsman on a lower cd than both duelist/warden + #4 skill is a cc, helpful for menders)

At the start of the fight I began in melee range, spawned an izerker, then a swordsman + timewarp and that chunked his health nicely and just evade the first hammer slam then move to the back of the room and keep eating away at him with your gs, range down fear totems as soon as they appear it’s an extra hassle you don’t need.

Then just swap into s/s for the menders, illusionary leap + swordsman + blurred frenzy will be a pretty quick kill then just focus on ranging the statue (easier if melee makes you uncertain) staying just at the back of the room and ranging let me kite the orbs much more easily just dodge rolling through them usually caused them to disappear (once they attacked). Occasionally swap into s/s to spawn a swordsman on him + your izerkers from GS will chip away at his health.

Sorry if this became a wall of text.

Ah also, you’re best off using zerker gear for this kinda fight. It’s not necessary but it can make things quicker.

Sea of Sorrows | Lt Mc Muffin
Don’t worry the games still in Beta.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: process execution.8014

process execution.8014

OP, I have to ask, how many build variants did you try for the fight? I can see a shatter mesmer having a difficult time but phantasms would surely work a lot better. An iBerserker or iDuelist would be a lot more effective than trying to pull off a triple shatter in the thick of that fight.

why waste hours doing something that you get nothing for? Enjoyment? I’d rather run fractals.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Coz frankly if the game is so bad for you, so easy and not challenging at all, those games u mentioned are still out there and i’m curious why u are here and not playing them?

And I’m curious why you are playing if you are having difficulties and burst out in tears on the simplest of bosses. Seems like 99% of the people even in this whinethread have no problems with it, maybe the problem is with you?

So to appease them, Anet adds events like the great wurm and tequatil, which btw used be enjoyed by a huge number of people, including lower than lvl 80 players, to now where it’s only being done by a select few.

I just loled. Old Teq was enjoyable? Just… Wow. Luckily for you, you can still enjoy the Frozen Maw. Go on, have fun.

Imo, not all content should be hard in a game, particularly an MMO, where u have to cater to masses of varying tastes, ages and abilities. You saying, when i was growing up games were more difficult, reminds me of my grandma, who always made a point to remind me of how things were much harder in her youth. Maybe the reason people didn’t come to complain on the forum in them days, was the very limitation of internet at the time or simply that online games weren’t as popular as they are now. It’s pointless trying to go back to the past, it’s a different world now. Now every man and his dog has a PC and internet connected. Some years ago, i could count on my hand how many had it in my town.

Too bad all of the game is as easy as it gets. Hard content so far was: 1. Teq, 2. Liadri, 3. SAB tribulation mode, 4. 3-headed Wurm. Yep, Anet sure appeals to the hard content lovers…

Today, with hectic lifestyles and limited amount of leisure time, some people play games to relax and have fun. Maybe your kind of fun is dying 1000 times and for you that means a good challenge, but it’s not to everyone’s taste and certainly not mine. It’s nice sometimes to just have a “walk in the park” in a game, rather then be stressed out all time with every little bit of content that you come across. I’m not saying that’s what gw2 is, but if Anet listens to these so called hot shots, this game would become unplayable for most people especially newcomers. They would start playing, die a lot, then leave the game and post on internet how gw2 sucks.

Luckily enough, some other games have the white Tanooki suit for you, so yay! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKiBTMbJU2k

I do believe there should be content for players like you as well and you do have some, like fractals, dungeons and those i mentioned above. I’m cretanly not aversed to Anet adding more instanced challenges for people who want that. but open world should be relatively easy for leveling, except perhaps the world events.

Which is exactly how it is?

But like some others have said in this thread, story should never be presented like that. It should always be enjoyable and about the story itself, with perhaps mild challenges. It should never be about neither skills or kills and certainly not designed for pure frustration just for the sake of it. Because no matter how good the story may be, when u get that frustrated, the story is lost and all it becomes in ur mind is, ugh let me just get through it so i never have to do it again and that is a real shame, especially if the story is good.

And that’s exactly what you got, a mild challange.

(edited by Bubi.7942)

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Dorian Ordenda.1398

Dorian Ordenda.1398

I totally agree with you Tiger. After reading all the comments, I must say, there is certainly a lot of argumentative negative responses. Just because something is easy for one, does not mean it is for another. While there may be many reasons for this, it’s still the way it is for some. I for one am a bit tired of the snarky, sarcastic come backs by the “super elite” players who never make a mistake and seem to find any excuse to brag about how easy everything is for them, thus, putting down other players who may find certain events, etc. difficult for them. I found this instance to be a royal pain in the neck, never mind the reasons. Just frustrating. So yeah, we all have different play styles and level of patience. So show some love guys! Enough with the put downs.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Mian.1945

Mian.1945

I totally agree with you Tiger. After reading all the comments, I must say, there is certainly a lot of argumentative negative responses. Just because something is easy for one, does not mean it is for another. While there may be many reasons for this, it’s still the way it is for some. I for one am a bit tired of the snarky, sarcastic come backs by the “super elite” players who never make a mistake and seem to find any excuse to brag about how easy everything is for them, thus, putting down other players who may find certain events, etc. difficult for them. I found this instance to be a royal pain in the neck, never mind the reasons. Just frustrating. So yeah, we all have different play styles and level of patience. So show some love guys! Enough with the put downs.

C’mon, hypebole? This is not even remotely close to being some form of elitist issue.

Every single dungeon pathway, every fractal and in some cases, just walking across Orr is more difficult than this fight. I cannot see how you can somehow get along satisfactorily through the rest of GW2 and this is suddenly a roadblock. There are dozens of more frustrating fights to complain about before this one.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Rsouls.8931

Rsouls.8931

This content is made for lvl 80 characters…. skill level expectations will rise and I am sure any game developer will expect players to use their past experiences and observation skills to overcome encounters…. if something goes wrong, reflect and learn.

If the high level content is the same difficulty as lvl 1, then the game will probably won’t feel like an “action-based” game anymore but an interactive visual novel.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

You seem to have missed all the posts trying to help the OP by finding a better approach to the boss.
Now that you can trait & change skills on the fly, there is no reason why anyone should not do this to adapt to the fight they are facing.
Also I’ve read a lot of posts in this thread telling the OP they would party up and help him.
Sure, the game is harder for some and even easy content can be challenging to them, but dont go complaining w/o trying. The OP is complaining to complain.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

What’s this “treated like a football” nonsense people are talking about? Is it because of the knockdowns? Like the slow moving blue orbs you can easily kite, or the big orange/red circles on the ground indicating an attack will be coming very shortly in that spot and you have to, you know, get out of the circles?

There is nothing hard about this encounter. Stability or not. Focus on menders when you see them, don’t hang out towards the entrance of the room, that’s where the orbs spawn. Keep moving. There’s really no excuse for constantly being CC’d. Chill I think you may not be able to avoid but everything else? That comes down to paying attention.

It’s like if you guys can’t complete it your first attempt you deem it too hard and then complain about it. Or worse, the ones that haven’t even done the encounter, read a couple of posts complaining about its difficulty, and then chime in echoing their sentiments. You guys sound silly.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Again, it’s not about difficulty… it’s about whether the fight is enjoyable. For some people, difficult is enjoyable. For some, a fight is enjoyable if it feels difficult (even though it isn’t that hard). For some, a fight is enjoyable if it’s a relaxing breeze.

But none of these have to do with the enjoyability of a fight’s mechanics. A dev can write in code that spawns a bubble and you have to get into that bubble within 5 seconds or you die. Or a dev can code the same bubble and give you 2 minutes to get inside it or you die. Huge difference in difficulty, but the mechanic is the same – and it’s a potentially annoying mechanic, or an enjoyable one that requires some skill, depending on how you look at it.

This ego-stroking “this isn’t hard” prattle doesn’t serve any purpose other than satisfying the person who says it. Nor do proclamations of a fight being “hard” with little explanation as to why – and I’ve seen both in this thread.

There is nothing productive to be gained from taking a potentially complex topic on the design of a fight and simplifying it into a kittening match about its apparent difficulty level.

Kittens, man… kittens everywhere.

Or words to that effect.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Again, it’s not about difficulty… it’s about whether the fight is enjoyable. For some people, difficult is enjoyable. For some, a fight is enjoyable if it feels difficult (even though it isn’t that hard). For some, a fight is enjoyable if it’s a relaxing breeze.

But none of these have to do with the enjoyability of a fight’s mechanics. A dev can write in code that spawns a bubble and you have to get into that bubble within 5 seconds or you die. Or a dev can code the same bubble and give you 2 minutes to get inside it or you die. Huge difference in difficulty, but the mechanic is the same – and it’s a potentially annoying mechanic, or an enjoyable one that requires some skill, depending on how you look at it.

This ego-stroking “this isn’t hard” prattle doesn’t serve any purpose other than satisfying the person who says it. Nor do proclamations of a fight being “hard” with little explanation as to why – and I’ve seen both in this thread.

There is nothing productive to be gained from taking a potentially complex topic on the design of a fight and simplifying it into a kittening match about its apparent difficulty level.

I think I saw an earlier post, maybe in another thread, where someone mentioned the tone of the thread post sets the tone of subsequent posts.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Tiger Ashante.1792

Thank you, I appreciate your comment, you are among the few in this thread that get what I was trying to say.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Tiger Ashante.1792

Tone of this thread was: this fight is horrible, not hard/easy, horrible. It’s even in the title!
I never said it was too hard or easy, just horrible. I mean what are the invulnerable disco balls for? What connection or purpose do they server in the scheme of things and the story itself, other than to annoy and frustrate you? I have never seen those things before until this update.

But yea, most of this thread has turned into a competition among opportunists looking to show us how good they are and how easy it was for them, while putting down everyone who dare say anything different.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I think I saw an earlier post, maybe in another thread, where someone mentioned the tone of the thread post sets the tone of subsequent posts.

I actually find that the first couple of replies in a thread tend to set the tone more than anything.

Just looked, in fact, and unsurprisingly the first two posts were: 1) Someone indicating that the fight is aggravating/hard 2) Someone being shocked at the idea of anyone not beating the fight.

Thank you, I appreciate your comment, you are among the few in this thread that get what I was trying to say.

Sure thing.

Or words to that effect.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Tone of this thread was: this fight is horrible, not hard/easy, horrible. It’s even in the title!
I never said it was too hard or easy, just horrible. I mean what are the invulnerable disco balls for? What connection or purpose do they server in the scheme of things and the story itself, other than to annoy and frustrate you? I have never seen those things before until this update.

But yea, most of this thread has turned into a competition among opportunists looking to show us how good they are and how easy it was for them, while putting down everyone who dare say anything different.

Except that your first post reeks of qq and l2p issues. Just re-read it please.

It basicly is:

“I can’t dodge.”

“I can’t kite/move.”

“I have no idea what stability is.”

“I have no idea what spawns where.”

Also mentioning Old Teq as you kind of enjoyable content… I don’t even…

I’m done with this thread, I’ll get out before I drown in whining.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Tiger Ashante.1792

Except that your first post reeks of qq and l2p issues. Just re-read it please.

It basicly is:

“I can’t dodge.”

“I can’t kite/move.”

“I have no idea what stability is.”

“I have no idea what spawns where.”

Also mentioning Old Teq as you kind of enjoyable content… I don’t even…

I’m done with this thread, I’ll get out before I drown in whining.

You misunderstand my meaning about enjoying old tequatil, perhaps I didn’t explain myself well, but I didn’t mean he was necessarily enjoyable, what i meant is that it was a popular event and played by many people, hence enjoyed by many.

But anyway, since you’re going my explaining don’t really matter and btw, no one forced you to join this thread in the first place.
Bye.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

No matter how I try, I still fail to understand the difference between easy/difficult and horrible/enjoyable on which OP insists.

Easy things can’t be horrible. Simply because there’s not enough time to make things you don’t like annoying enough. You know, like I can’t imagine anyone saying “I pressed Hundred Blades, the mob died, but the fight was horrible!”

Difficult things can be difficult either because parts of the game which require accomplishment are unreliable (in the way non-casting, non-leaping iLeap is horrible, or in the way Liadri’s insta-downs synergised with Pavilion zerg lags and made timing dodges hard), or because you lack skills to cope with some things and they annoy you long enough to become subjectively “horrible”. Here is the latter case.

If one is good at math tests, he can’t say that problems were horrible – simply because he solved them fast; if one is bad at math tests, problems become “horrible”, “badly selected”, or whatever other excuse there is to pass the reason of failure onto another person.

I made this fight on my GS/Sw+F phantasm mesmer (shatter in PvE? why?) on the first run and was like “Hm, that’s it?” when it was over. Doing it as a mesmer is even easier because your damage sources are independent of you. The Kessex Hills pre-boss gate fight was “difficult” for me, though… but only because I thought that an NPC should handle the arrow cart, and not me

20 level 80s and counting.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Dorian Ordenda.1398

Dorian Ordenda.1398

Lost Balloon: I was directing my comments to those who were being a bit rough on OP. Bravo to those who offer help.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

Someone mentioned the white tanooki suit, and I hope Anet is listening! This would be a great way to monetize the players that find the story instances too hard. Sell single-use white quaggan suits that can only be used in single-player story instances.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

+1 to you.

Overall, the fight wasn’t that bad, and the mechanics were mostly spelled out. Conveyance, as they say, was right on.

To say I liked the fight might be a little much, since it still runs into the problem of too frequently using hard CC. But, that’s also a first-run, know-when-to-dodge thing, so I don’t spite it. I just hate having nothing else to do than stare at my keyboard for 3-5 seconds after a knockdown/fear. Eh, /shrug.

Still, I managed to coast the fight reasonably well, so I’d call it a mild design success.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

I actually find that the first couple of replies in a thread tend to set the tone more than anything.

Just looked, in fact, and unsurprisingly the first two posts were: 1) Someone indicating that the fight is aggravating/hard 2) Someone being shocked at the idea of anyone not beating the fight.

Lookit the title.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

From an RP perspective, you have Rytlock trying to perform a magic ritual to end the curse and destroy all the ghosts. Obviously the ghosts don’t like this an attempt to oppose it supernaturally. The animation of the statue is part of this, but there are obviously other spectral effects that appear to result from the performance of the ritual itself and/or the supernatural resistance of the ghosts. The spectral flames are obviously one of those effects, a manifestation of the massive energies at play. I really don’t understand the objection to them from a story perspective. As far as being annoying and frustrating, considering what is occurring, shouldn’t they be so? The ghosts are trying to prevent the completion of the ritual. Annoying and frustrating their enemies are the least of what they are trying to do. :-)

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

I can’t speak for anyone but myself, but it seems like there has been quite a lot of help offered in this thread. I am not a very good player. I am older and play on a very crappy laptop. My timing sucks and I miss dodges. I click skills. I tend to be oblivious to my environment sometimes. Seriously anyone who is even mediocre at PvP play, would laugh at my play. And yet this fight still was not terribly difficult. I’ve done it with five different toons and with a couple of them I got downed multiple times and was still able to complete it. The NPC’s will revive the player when downed. They also do a decent job of damaging the statue, especially Smodur. As long as he doesn’t get distracted away from the statue onto something else, he hangs in there and keeps whacking away. Even when I got downed I didn’t find the encounter particularly annoying or frustrating. And if I did, my frustration would be directed toward myself rather than ANet because I know that what is required to complete this content is not terribly difficult.

Something not often mentioned about GW2 play is that ANet often include objectives/mechanics in encounters that encourage or force players to do things that they should be able to do to play this game effectively. These mechanics force players to e.g. move or to dodge or to focus on what enemies are doing. These are things that are fundamental to playing this game – just a natural part of the active combat system. Being encouraged or forced to do these things helps develop skills that should make the whole game more enjoyable. A lot of the frustration that some players experience seems to be a result of not understanding how this game is supposed to play. Taking an attitude of trying to improve one’s play will go a long way towards making things less frustrating.

In this encounter, just a few things make it much less frustrating. Take the spectral flames for example. They move slowly and spawn infrequently. In the first part of the encounter, you can focus on damaging the statue and killing the menders and still watch out for them to spawn. When they do spawn, wait until they get close and dodge into them. Trying this a few times will get the timing down so that you evade their attack, which causes them to self destruct. If you get downed a couple of times learning it, this is not a big deal. The NPC’s will revive you and you can try again.

In the second phase, the fear totem things have pretty low health so they can be burned down by switching to a ranged weapon. For example, with my thief I swapped from sword/pistol to dual pistols and they died to a single unload from my thief. This also worked on the menders. Swapping to a ranged weapon to take them out helps because you don’t have to worry so much about positioning. BUT, you should run high damage gear and traits for this encounter. (This should be a general goal for almost all of PvE regardless of profession.) My thief, for example, was not running berzerker’s armor. It’s not even one of my top 3-4 most played alts, so it just has a random assortment of exotic armor. But he did have ruby orbs and zerker tinkets. Level of armor doesn’t matter so much – rare will certainly work since I ran rares and greens on my warrior. I picked power, precision, and crit damage traits that gave damage multipliers like executioner. It’s important to try and be high damage because ranged weapons do less damage than melee, so being damage-focused makes it easier to quickly take out the mender or fear thingies with them. But you don’t have to go ranged. With my ranger, I used sword/warhorn and greatsword and still got through. You can sick your pet on a mender or the statue while you do other stuff. I still used high damage gear and traits though. Same for mesmer. I ran full zerker on it because I used the greatsword and sword/focus.

Sorry, this is already much longer than I intended. There are other things that can be done to make this encounter easier/more enjoyable. But in short, gearing and traiting properly, dodging properly, and paying attention to the environment and positioning make it go much more smoothly. And these are skills that encounters like this are designed to get players to improve. Frankly, I like improving as a player even if at the end of it I am still mediocre. :-)

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I’d like to thank the people who take the time and effort to offer good advice on how to handle these kind of fights rather than sneering at the people having problems and dismissing them as bad players. The language being used is hugely important here, William Bradley Knight’s post above is a perfect example of a good, helpful, courteous player, instead of an inflammatory “OMG L2P wai u so bad lol” he offers clear and useful tips for players who are having troubles. We need more people like him on these forums and fewer people basically coming here to wonder out loud why people are so bad at the game because they find it easy.

In fact you could say he’s a… shining Knight, ahah-ahahah-ahah-aaah.

Personally, I’ve only done this on my ele who I had just switched to staff, at the start I was fighting fairly close in so I could help with the ghosts while still but after noticing the menders pretty much fully healed and shielded the statue as soon as they reached it, I moved back towards the door they came out of and made it my mission to make sure that they didn’t even get into the room, then when one dropped I switched to drop some damage on the statue, and some healing on Smodur (although I don’t think he’ll actually go down I figured it was only polite to heal a world leader ) keeping an eye for the next mender. Once I did that, the fight was actually quite easy, at least it was quite easy at staff range standing between the door and the statue, the ghosts that spawned mostly got tangled up on Rytlock and Rox and left me alone and I could see the Spectral Flames quite easily.

In close it’s tougher as you get buffeted about by the knockbacks and it’s a lot harder to spot the Spectral Flames. I wouldn’t really like to try it with dagger/dagger.

I’d like to thank Rox for dropping what she was doing and running to res me a couple of times when I didn’t notice the Spectral flames or dodged too late. Also, Rytlock is Rox’s sire. Calling it now.

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

just use warrior rifle with piercing shots (or i guess also any other piercing projectile weapon works)

you hit between 2x and 4x at once depending on the spot

full zerk build and gear with piercing rifle and barradin went down so fast with every attack hitting 4x

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Rytlock Ritual End Fight

in Living World

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

(First of all, when I started writing this I didn’t realize it was 4 pages long, so it was based on the 1st page only lol [Then I may have missed some replies], but it tells my thoughts about it and my reaction toward some opinions out there. That was my longest post here so far lol)

I can’t say more than I utterly agree with the OP. That fight is way overwhelming and overpowered! There’s not challenge on being knocked down every sec and then not being able to do a single thing while you must “babysit” a mender to prevent it to reach the statue while watching over a stupid floating balls that take half of your health in one hit! Ah, imagine then when 2 of those balls hit you… INSTANT downed state!

I don’t know others but I don’t get any fun neither see it challenging on being downed or knocked down each f*** second! I felt very overwhelmed on it even while helping a friend, I can’t even imagine how frustrating it is when soloing then. :S A fight like that would work nicely if it was a group thing on open world, NOT an instanced and supposedly solo thing!

0_0 rly there are some people [-snip] this instance in circa 11 min .

Awww, you had to think [-snip] something right.

OP, this is probably [-snip] play issue.

Story/Lore [-snip-] boring game.

Hey, no one is equal and no one has the same skills, also remember that a lot of things can affect your gameplay plus adding to it that some professions (mesmers mainly) has a lot of bugs with skills making them useless crap. It’s not because a few people can manage a stupidly hard boss that everyone else should be able too. There’s no balance on doing this. The game should have a balance between hardcore or highly skilled players and those casual or averagely skilled players. It’s a community game, don’t think only on your own skills.

IT’S TOO HARD [-snip] HORRIBLE!!!

If it was meant to be ironic it was just stupid and a bad joke and fits on what I stated above.

It wasn’t that [-snip] Frenzy is your friend.

Not exactly, I use Sword and Focus on my mesmer and it wasn’t that easy. It helped me a lot to prevent menders but when it reached the middle of that room and other ghosts began to get in any other skills could help.

Also just to add that I agree with DoctorOverlord.8620, challenging and fun content makes you want more and try again when you fail (I have even died several and several times in a row while doing some world bosses and that always made me wanting to rally and go on rampage against them [I even got 80% of armor damage once lol]), but there’s not fun or challenge when you got so much frustration that your only thinking is to log off and do something else.

I had a friend [-snip] be required.

Yes, if a co-op is required DON’T make it in an instance, put on open world instead.

No one [-snip] hard time.

Despite the help offered (that’s a good thing) I’m sorry to say but yes, some people here sounds to be criticizing and even making jokes just because they “could” to do it while others couldn’t. You also missed the point. Again remember NO ONE is equal.

Yes, [-snip-] frutration

Exactly! It’s more useful to give hints or something than just say “sorry but it’s just a matter or learning or your skills sux”

What I [-snip] EXTREMELY “dis-balanced”.

That just express what I tried to say above.

The fear [-snip] “gravy”…

I just had to laugh at “discoball” but yeah, they were one of the most frustrating things. HALF health on one hit?! Are you kidding?!

And thanks for Rayti.6531 for the really helpful post. Just a note to it: if Wardens from mesmers would really be working as they should… :P

(…)