Worst... ending... ever! (Spoiler Alert)

in Living World

Posted by: Eggman.1405

Eggman.1405

Sorry if this is a repeat, I’ve checked through several pages and haven’t seen similar threads on this exact topic…

I’m very dumbfounded at how they chose to end the first thrilling chapter of LWS2. Instead of some dramatic event that leaves you excited for the upcoming months and breathless for more, you sit in a room. And listen to people talk.

A lot.

Then you click on some stuff and listen to more talking.

A lot.

Then there is some more talking. And you get to poke around a room when everybody leaves. If the end-of-story graphics didn’t pop up in your face you’d have no idea that you’ve been dismissed.

Now I know that we’re not in the age where you can catch a nice Republic serial at the movies anymore, but the cliffhanger trope still works well. I can’t believe the Anet story editor thought that having people sit in a room was a good climax for an introductory chapter. Even the tiny bit of drama that it set up has no payoff… there is all this talk at the start about what kind of defenses might be set up to enter the room, so in theory you could have had some sort of battle to go out on, but after all the hand-wringing from the NPCs you just `pew pew` down a door and that’s it. If there was really no content left for part 3, they could have just ended things after the boss battle in part 2 and saved the part 3 stuff for the opener next month.

Maybe this would work on paper since if I was reading a book I could just continue on to the next chapter. If I have to wait a month for the next piece of story, I wouldn’t recommend putting people to sleep first.

in Living World

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

I’ve heard replies from people who thoroughly enjoyed the ending, because in that one instance, they saw more of Scarlet/Ceara’s character revealed than in the entire of Season One.

Maybe we’ll have a big opening to the next episode? Something sudden happens that adds new depth to the tame ending? It feels like a Law and Order or NCIS.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

… I’ve checked through several pages and haven’t seen similar threads on this exact topic…

lol

in Living World

Eggman.1405

Yes, I’m starting to see some posts of that now where people rave about the end. Just to be clear, my gripe is regarding the storytelling methods, not the content. I did think it was cool poking around with the holo-logs. Other people have commented that Taimi makes class-specific comments, if so, I may have missed mine while tuning out from the exposition overload.

in Living World

Eggman.1405

… I’ve checked through several pages and haven’t seen similar threads on this exact topic…

lol

I’ll stand by my statement. Most threads are griping about the jumps and the fact that Scarlet is part of the story. I’m discussing the story delivery method, not the content.

in Living World

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Uhh are you sure that’s even the ending?

in Living World

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

The way I see it. The ending of this chapter is the boss instance with the Master of Peace leaving. I’m looking forward to know more about this mystery man.

The room at the end was sort of like an epilogue that gives more info about Scarlet and what to come next. I really like the dialogues of the small hologram.

Overall, I love everything about this 1st chapter.

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

in Living World

Eggman.1405

Uhh are you sure that’s even the ending?

Well, since the story marks itself as complete once you finish that part, yes, I’m pretty sure. Other things you can do around Dry Top are supplements to the main story as it is being presented.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Well, since the story marks itself as complete once you finish that part, yes, I’m pretty sure. Other things you can do around Dry Top are supplements to the main story as it is being presented.

It is the ending of the first CHAPTER. It is not the ending of the whole book so to speak.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

It is the ending of the first CHAPTER. It is not the ending of the whole book so to speak.

They state as much that they realizes it’s the first chapter, in the initial post. But their wording could use some work.

in Living World

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Sorry if this is a repeat, I’ve checked through several pages and haven’t seen similar threads on this exact topic…

I’m very dumbfounded at how they chose to end the first thrilling chapter of LWS2. Instead of some dramatic event that leaves you excited for the upcoming months and breathless for more, you sit in a room. And listen to people talk.

A lot.

A lot.

Then there is some more talking. And you get to poke around a room when everybody leaves. If the end-of-story graphics didn’t pop up in your face you’d have no idea that you’ve been dismissed.

Now I know that we’re not in the age where you can catch a nice Republic serial at the movies anymore, but the cliffhanger trope still works well. I can’t believe the Anet story editor thought that having people sit in a room was a good climax for an introductory chapter. Even the tiny bit of drama that it set up has no payoff… there is all this talk at the start about what kind of defenses might be set up to enter the room, so in theory you could have had some sort of battle to go out on, but after all the hand-wringing from the NPCs you just `pew pew` down a door and that’s it. If there was really no content left for part 3, they could have just ended things after the boss battle in part 2 and saved the part 3 stuff for the opener next month.

Maybe this would work on paper since if I was reading a book I could just continue on to the next chapter. If I have to wait a month for the next piece of story, I wouldn’t recommend putting people to sleep first.

So when you read a book, you come to your conclusion after the first few pages? If you took the time to dive into the story, you’ll have found many clues and lore hidden within. If story is important to you, it can be really boring if you skip or miss all the good parts.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Living World

Eggman.1405

As I mentioned before, if you end a chapter in a book like this, that’s fine. If you are ending a chapter in something that has to be serialized, I’d expect more action, especially if I’m playing a game. I don’t play games to passively absorb material like I do when watching a movie, TV, or reading.

in Living World

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

My story marked complete after finding some miner.
It was dark.

A more dramatic cliffhanger is typically used in between seasons … I’m fine story wise with this, the little genius is going though explosive material and might go boom herself … hehe, I mean who knows. This is after the “big” boss fight. I felt the whole scene was too long, but that’s another matter.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Living World

Eggman.1405

So when you read a book, you come to your conclusion after the first few pages? If you took the time to dive into the story, you’ll have found many clues and lore hidden within. If story is important to you, it can be really boring if you skip or miss all the good parts.

You seem to be confusing complaints about content vs. complaints about delivery method. I have zero issues with the actual content. The fight vs. the saboteur could have been the real end (and potentially more rewarding if we randomly dropped some things if you repeat that fight) and most of the story from part 3 left to discover as ambient conversations or things you find poking around Dry Top.

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Would you prefer a “To Be Continued…” to pop up on the screen? It’s a chapter and there really does not need to be an ending. In books, do you see endings at the end of a chapter? The “ending”, if any, would be the revelations of what occurred when they searched that room and the more questions in brought setting the tone for the next living story.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

A lot.

A lot.

It’s the same “issue” some people expressed during Season 1, which clearly never got around to any explosive chapter. No suffocating, red mist, no burning city, no massive, flying drill. BoringNet.

in Living World

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

Enjoyed it myself, looking forward to the next ‘episode’.

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

in Living World

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

You seem to be confusing complaints about content vs. complaints about delivery method. I have zero issues with the actual content. The fight vs. the saboteur could have been the real end (and potentially more rewarding if we randomly dropped some things if you repeat that fight) and most of the story from part 3 left to discover as ambient conversations or things you find poking around Dry Top.

To each his own when you want to debate delivery methods. I’m quite happy about the story, and that we have a new area to explore (albeit small).

My only complaint here is that too many forum players complained about LS1, so they changed the update from every 2 weeks, to every month. As a player who eats up new content the same day it’s released, this sucks.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

… to every month.

Ah hell! Where did I skip that?

in Living World

Eggman.1405

Would you prefer a “To Be Continued…” to pop up on the screen? It’s a chapter and there really does not need to be an ending. In books, do you see endings at the end of a chapter? The “ending”, if any, would be the revelations of what occurred when they searched that room and the more questions in brought setting the tone for the next living story.

As I mentioned before I have different expectations when playing a game vs. reading a book. And we have to be clear what we mean when we say `ending`. Again I am NOT discussing story content. I am only discussing user experience. Nothing as regards to the overall story needs to be resolved or otherwise altered.

We were given this:
- You show up at the house. There is a discussion that there could be a threat when trying to enter the house. But, there is no threat.
- You enter the house. People talk. The conversation they have is IRRELEVANT (as regards to my point), they could discuss Dolyak Stew recipes for all I care.
- The chapter ends. You poke around a little.

An alternative would be this:
- You show up at the house. There is a discussion that there could be a threat when trying to enter the house. The threat is real. As soon as you touch the door, Golems or what have you pop out and there is a fight or some other actual challenge that requires more from the player than `pew pew` on a door.
- You enter the house. People talk. The conversation they have is still IRRELEVANT.
- You think the chapter ends. The crew leaves (or doesn’t) and you’re there with Taimi. As she pokes around excitedly you have a `TAIMI STOP DON’T TOUCH THAT` moment and something else happens… more Golems or Steam Creatures or what have you pop up or some boss and you fight.
- Now the chapter ends and you poke around after warning Taimi to be careful.

Isn’t the second version somewhat better than the first? If no I’ll keep quiet.

(edited by Eggman.1405)

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

That’s called a cliffhanger and is a type of “ending”.

in Living World

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

It’s not the end of the story, it’s the end of the chapter. What book have you ever read where every chapter (especially the first) had a full scale of rising action, crisis, climax, and conclusion? Absolutely none, that formula applies to the story as a whole.

in Living World

Eggman.1405

It’s not the end of the story, it’s the end of the chapter. What book have you ever read where every chapter (especially the first) had a full scale of rising action, crisis, climax, and conclusion? Absolutely none, that formula applies to the story as a whole.

Shrug

I’ve tried to make it clear that I have different expectations between books and games. They are different media. Movie serials are a close parallel and they have little trouble having some action in each chapter while the heroes slowly work towards resolving the Big Problem.

This issue would even go away if part 3 had been part 1 instead.

in Living World

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

Hmm but what big ending do you want? It’s not ended, it’s a section of a story. Scarlet’s old house was an interesting end. Especially if you stuck around with Taimi. I loved the ending, it left me wanting more.

Not ever event in life ends with a bang, and how it was in the personal story was just that. It didn’t feel realistic at all. This the first realistic story arc I’ve felt I’ve experienced in GW2.

| Lithia |

in Living World

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

I have to say I really enjoyed the ending. I learned a lot about Scarlet and what she did and my mind goes crazy if I think about the possible outcomes of what I’ve just learned.

in Living World

Eggman.1405

Hmm but what big ending do you want? It’s not ended, it’s a section of a story. Scarlet’s old house was an interesting end. Especially if you stuck around with Taimi. I loved the ending, it left me wanting more.

Not ever event in life ends with a bang, and how it was in the personal story was just that. It didn’t feel realistic at all. This the first realistic story arc I’ve felt I’ve experienced in GW2.

My expectations are quite low. Since I’m playing a game, I do expect the player to be required to be a participant and not an observer. You don’t even have to fight. Maybe all of Scarlet’s really interesting stuff is hidden someplace that requires solving a puzzle to get access to.

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

Book or game is irrelevant. Cliffhangers are endings used as plot devices to build up anticipation/drama. Very little story content was contained in this episode to warrant the usage of a cliffhanger unlike the end of Season 1. The section in the rented room was more than enough and especially since it’s only the first episode. You usually do not see cliffhangers until things really get going.

in Living World

Eggman.1405

Book or game is irrelevant. Cliffhangers are endings used as plot devices to build up anticipation/drama. Very little story content was contained in this episode to warrant the usage of a cliffhanger unlike the end of Season 1. The section in the rented room was more than enough and especially since it’s only the first episode. You usually do not see cliffhangers until things really get going.

I think the story medium is quite relevant. If it was truly irrelevant then people would be happy enough to have all the lore spouted out in cutscenes and all the fights could be saved for the explorable area.

Now if you want to say the 1st chapter of a story doesn’t need a cliffhanger, I can understand that argument, although I find it unwise in this situation. I wasn’t here for LWS1 so information on Scarlet doesn’t give me goosebumps. If given my druthers I would provide a stronger intro before moving into the slow build-up for the end of the season. This opening doesn’t do that much to hook people who are coming into the game cold.

You might also notice that my proposed revision to the ending doesn’t even put it into the category that I would normally label a `cliffhanger`. A cliffhanger implies something is left unknown until the next chapter. I’m just saying people playing a game should have more to do than simply sit in a room and listen to story as the ending to an introduction. What should and should not be revealed and what should and should not be resolved is an entirely different issue.

in Living World

Posted by: ArchieD.6972

ArchieD.6972

I can’t believe the Anet story editor thought that having people sit in a room was a good climax for an introductory chapter.

Maybe you don’t know how storytelling goes. You have a long build up, which were all the instances leading up to the fight with Aerin. The fight with Aerin was the climax, there’s your action. Then you have a release afterwards which slows back down and brings the story, all the information you’ve obtained, together. That’s what all the talking was about. We learned more about Scarlet and where she started which begins to explain all that we’ve experienced. No they didn’t reveal everything, that’s where the “sequels” do their jobs.

The story in GW2 is a marathon. Not a sprint.

10 Level 80s | http://tinyurl.com/oj4e9hr
1900+ Hrs Played | http://tinyurl.com/ppq4ksz
No Precursor | http://tinyurl.com/njgsg3l

in Living World

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

OP has some valid concerns and they’re well founded.

The content and delivery was solid for the opening of S2, compared to the opening of S1. We got a ton more exposition, while still leaving open ends for us to speculate and guess upon.

If you took the current S2 story and used S1’s pacing, we wouldn’t find out Aerin’s name or even his race and what kind of character he is for another 2-3 months. Instead, they reveal it all now, but they leave out the one key element – the motif.

They purposefully left out “Why.” I’m sure that portion can be explained through several chapters.

This episode isn’t about a “cliffhanger” where we have all the details and wait on the juicy conclusion. It’s about missing the one key detail so we can form our own conclusions.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

in Living World

Eggman.1405

OP has some valid concerns and they’re well founded.

Good to know I’m not 100% crazy (maybe 99%).

I worked for a game developer from 2000 – 2003; back then how to best integrate story and gameplay was our key concern. This intro gets a big F from me on that score. Most people seem to be thrilled enough with the story content that they can overlook the presentation, I understand that view, but doing better is really not that hard.

in Living World

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

I think the biggest issue here is that we’re left with questions.

If this had been an expansion (or the original Personal Story), we’d just continue with the next story and be fine.

The key issue here is that the story writers seem to want the Sylvari to end up being scapegoats this season.

Everyone will start blaming the Sylvari, up until the final showdown with Mordremoth and then miraculously the Pale Tree will sacrifice herself to take him down and save all of Tyria from utter desertification. Thus redeeming the entire race of Sylvari for their individual faults.

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I enjoyed the ending, although a bit of foreboding could have been nice.

in Living World

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

I liked the ending and read everything when I did it the first time. the second time I just clicked through and it was over rather quickly, so I think they found a good compromise to give people interested in lore something to give them some background while those who are not interested don’t have to listen to all the text (I think it’s about a 3-4 minute instance if you skip everything).

to me it felt like that was the epilogue of the first chapter of season 2, while the boss fight was the end. epilogues in books (or sometimes even movies) often are drastically less action-packed than the events before them, a way to fade the story out slowly instead of cutting it off immediately after the peak.

in Living World

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

When you come right down to it the following are method delivery for story telling in video games.

1.) Enviromental
2.) Cynamatic
3.) Text Dialogue
4.) Voice Over Dialogue

If you paid attention you will find there is a cliffhanger I be it is a weak one but it still there. Also ultimatly everything breaks down to you sit in a room. And listen to people talk. A lot. Then you click on some stuff and listen to more talking. A lot. In video games.

What is to happen to Taimi due to she is left behind in scarlet’s apartment?
What is to happen with the group that went ahead to the caves?

I do understand your desire to get though to the big ending. I would not expect this until closer to the end of season 2. My recommendation is to wait until season 2 is all released then play the story binge mode. I think you would enjoy it a lot better that way.

We were given this:
- You show up at the house. There is a discussion that there could be a threat when trying to enter the house. There was a threat the door blew up. Given no-one got hurt if they stood close. But there was still a threat.
- You enter the house. People talk. The conversation they have is relevent to the backstory and the future story. You will regret ignoring it.
- The chapter ends.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

in Living World

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

the cliffhanger trope still works well

Nope, it’s still one of the most annoying devices used in serialized content. For all those whom think it energizes and adds interests, it also aggravates and pushes away. There’s far too much competition for our attention today to use such gimmicks.

The ending was fine, it was supposed to leave you pondering.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Living World

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

the cliffhanger trope still works well

Nope, it’s still one of the most annoying devices used in serialized content. For all those whom think it energizes and adds interests, it also aggravates and pushes away. There’s far too much competition for our attention today to use such gimmicks.

The ending was fine, it was supposed to leave you pondering.

Recall : everything with moderation, including moderation.

Cliffhangers are fine when used at the right time. You don’t use this tye of ending in the middle of a kitten ed investigation. How lame would it be.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

in Living World

Posted by: Alice.8694

Alice.8694

I’m discussing the story delivery method, not the content.

Your complaints seem pretty meaningless, the way the story about that house is presented feels pretty natural. In that situation you’re gonna have a lot of people standing around discussing their surroundings. Especially when it happens to be the room of someone they quite recently killed but don’t understand why.

back then how to best integrate story and gameplay was our key concern.

And something a lot of game developers seem to fail at simply because they try to force every inch of story into some explosive action scene. Because apparently you can’t have a story where a group of people discuss their surroundings unless those surroundings are also trying to kill you.

There is an ebb and flow to story telling that you seem to vastly under appreciate… There is a time for action (Aerin’s battle) and there is a time for standing around and discussing a room of someone you killed. Both reveal story, both are equally relevant and important and most of all both are equally valid ways of progressing the story.

I worked for a game developer from 2000 – 2003

Position? Company? Game?

in Living World

Posted by: Dunan Atreides.5436

Dunan Atreides.5436

I agree with the ‘epilogue’ sentiment. Eggman, would you feel different if you framed that last instance as just a very juicy ‘epilogue’?

Thinking about it, I think if they broke into Scarlet’s room first, then went to get Aerin, that would’ve been worked better in terms of structure.

in Living World

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

I loved it, it was some amazing story telling and character development… Well, not so much for Brahm… Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed how they told the beginning of this new chapter, looking forward to more.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

I agree with the ‘epilogue’ sentiment. Eggman, would you feel different if you framed that last instance as just a very juicy ‘epilogue’?

Thinking about it, I think if they broke into Scarlet’s room first, then went to get Aerin, that would’ve been worked better in terms of structure.

What would connect Ceara to Aerin, or even Master of Peace? Are you saying the zone/Story should’ve started by the town and before the Sanctum crashed?

in Living World

Posted by: Eowin Of Rohan.2619

Eowin Of Rohan.2619

The 1st chapter leave us with
- A Peace Master who goes somewhere deeper in the jungle after we fought a boss whose motivations are still unknown (even if I have theories about him)

- Lots of nice info about Scarlet’s early researches that lead to the whole Season 1 and set (confirms for us) her goals about dragons. Information about some kind magic energy node that we’ll probably have to study.

Can’t say we don’t have reasons of looking forward the next LS episodes ! As far as I’m concerned, I can’t wait !

in Living World

Eggman.1405

Position? Company? Game?

I worked for Stainless Steel Studios, Inc., on Empire Earth and Empires: Dawn of the Modern World. If I say more than that I’ll lose my anonymity.

What would connect Ceara to Aerin, or even Master of Peace? Are you saying the zone/Story should’ve started by the town and before the Sanctum crashed?

As it is, there is no real link. You show up in town asking about the crazy Silvari and learn that there are apparently two crazy Silvari, Aerin and Scarlet. There is no link between the two that is revealed in this chapter (unless I missed something, which is possible).

If you moved part 3 to the beginning instead of the end, then you find Morning in town attempting to be healed. She drops clues before dying about a crazy Silvari, but you discover that Scarlet is the only one the people in town have heard of (as the story ends currently). After the bit at Scarlet’s house the crew realizes that they are at a dead end for now and leave town to look for clues, segueing into the encounters at the wrecked airship. Then you get the boss fight at the end and the Master of Peace leaves you hanging with a bit of unresolved mystery. Again, the story content as such is fine. Just improve the delivery a little bit.

I get the concept of a `let’s just breathe out slowly` epilogue, but there isn’t enough for the player to do to justify it as its own stand-alone subchapter. Everything that happens could have been relegated to a cutscene that players could then skip if they didn’t want to see it. Or, leave all that stuff as things to find in the exploreable area to reward players who like poking around.

in Living World

Posted by: Glovebox.5724

Glovebox.5724

“There is no link between the two that is revealed in this chapter”- Cliff-hanger.
“leaves you hanging with a bit of unresolved mystery”- Oh look another cliff-hanger.
“I get the concept of a `let’s just breathe out slowly` epilogue”- Then why complain?
“there isn’t enough for the player to do to justify it as its own stand-alone subchapter. Everything that happens could have been relegated to a cutscene that players could then skip if they didn’t want to see it.”- So you want something that would be the same but where you don’t do anything at all?
“leave all that stuff as things to find in the exploreable area to reward players who like poking around.”- Like the hologram?

in Living World

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

There is a difference between “The end scene” of this chapter, and the “Epilogue scene”.

“End scene” = Boss fight + talk with master. All beyond this is an epilogue that shows off what is coming into next chapter.

in Living World

Eggman.1405

“There is no link between the two that is revealed in this chapter”- Cliff-hanger.
“leaves you hanging with a bit of unresolved mystery”- Oh look another cliff-hanger.

These are story-based points. I have said over and over I have no issues with the story. The issue is that this subchapter is basically 100% story and no gameplay.

Everything that happens could have been relegated to a cutscene that players could then skip if they didn’t want to see it."- So you want something that would be the same but where you don’t do anything at all?

No, my #1 choice is to have something with gameplay in it. If instead, you make everything a literal cutscene instead of a figurative cutscene, at least I’m not scratching my head wondering why my character even needs to be there.

“leave all that stuff as things to find in the exploreable area to reward players who like poking around.”- Like the hologram?

Yes. The hologram was awesome. Or, go back to my #1 choice and give the player something meaningful to do. Even poking around can be fine if my actions are relevant. Maybe the hologram is in a safe on a second floor or a hidden basement and I’m not allowed to open it until I find a code written down someplace else.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

Position? Company? Game?

I worked for Stainless Steel Studios, Inc., on Empire Earth and Empires: Dawn of the Modern World. If I say more than that I’ll lose my anonymity.

As it is, there is no real link. You show up in town asking about the crazy Silvari and learn that there are apparently two crazy Silvari, Aerin and Scarlet. There is no link between the two that is revealed in this chapter (unless I missed something, which is possible).

If you moved part 3 to the beginning instead of the end, then you find Morning in town attempting to be healed. She drops clues before dying about a crazy Silvari, but you discover that Scarlet is the only one the people in town have heard of (as the story ends currently). After the bit at Scarlet’s house the crew realizes that they are at a dead end for now and leave town to look for clues, segueing into the encounters at the wrecked airship. Then you get the boss fight at the end and the Master of Peace leaves you hanging with a bit of unresolved mystery. Again, the story content as such is fine. Just improve the delivery a little bit.

I get the concept of a `let’s just breathe out slowly` epilogue, but there isn’t enough for the player to do to justify it as its own stand-alone subchapter. Everything that happens could have been relegated to a cutscene that players could then skip if they didn’t want to see it. Or, leave all that stuff as things to find in the exploreable area to reward players who like poking around.

It seems like all the Zephyrites that know of Aerin, know that he’s after the Master of Peace (who is in immediate danger). Even if not, a burning wreckage seems like a more pressing issue than a house that isn’t going anywhere. To completely reverse this order, the Sanctum would have to crash after you get to Dry Top, interrupting your discovery of Ceara’s house and knowledge of bandit operations. All of this after an exchange with Marjory’s sister, whose company has come with us.

Investigating Ceara’s house gave me the leisure of reading and analyzing her possessions, without the interruption of nearby enemies or the lure of combat. Placing story elements outside of the Story to be easily ignored, or create confusion from lack of context won’t make much of a story. A cutscene where Marjory tells me “look, here, at what I’ve found” probably won’t make any sense, but I did hear they’re working on creating better cutscenes, I think.

in Living World

Alice.8694

No, my #1 choice is to have something with gameplay in it.

RPGs and story driven games have generally different expectations to games from other genres such as RTS’s or FPS’s which don’t usually need a story and any story is secondary to the gameplay. In these kinds of genres the players come for the gameplay, so forcing cutscenes on to them is counter to what they came for. However within an rpg one of the main expectations is that you are taking on a role and that role somewhat realistically plays out with some degree of immersion.

I am personally in the camp that there was far too much telling and not enough showing in season one. However the notion that there cannot be story unless there is some gameplay to distract the player is basically an absurd notion. And dear god I hope no one takes your advice to heart. You give me the impression that you are the kind of developer that would end up with some godawful sandwich making mini game during a picnic scene.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

… godawful sandwich making mini game during a picnic scene.

Oh god, lol!

[Group Event] Fight off the ants before they abscond with your sandwich fixings!
Ants Empowered by sandwiches: 89%
Bread loaves recovered: 5
Prosciutto recovered: 19
Miracle Whip recovered: 0

in Living World

Alice.8694

… godawful sandwich making mini game during a picnic scene.

Oh god, lol!

[Group Event] Fight off the ants before they abscond with your sandwich fixings!
Ants Empowered by sandwiches: 89%
Bread loaves recovered: 5
Prosciutto recovered: 19
Miracle Whip recovered: 0

…Pls no… ( lol. )