What people want is not what the game needs

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

People keep asking to make some events permament, while I understand the feeling, doing so will do more harm than good.

You are having fun right now, sure, but give it 3 weeks and most people will get it over their systems.

Making holiday events temporary keeps it exiting and fresh and gives people a reason to return to Tyria next year. I for one cant wait to do the halloween and christmas jumping puzzles again!

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

But this isn’t a holiday event. There’s no holiday this month.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Storm of the Ages.9076

Storm of the Ages.9076

I think the high demand is mostly a responce to the lack of an amazing jumping puzzle. SAB fills alot of those players needs. Hopefully this is a sign of more mini games to come in the future. It’s those little things that truely set games apart.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: MiloSales.8560

MiloSales.8560

I dig it, but do agree, “absence makes the heart grow fonder”. A month is a good window for events like this.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

Having something good and then taken away, the absence doesn’t only make it grow fonder, but grows anger as well. They will want it back. Need only see the reaction of City of Heroes fans to understand an inkling of what that is like. Despite my love of GW2, the hatred of NCsoft still runs hot for me and there are many that won’t touch another game published under NCsoft because of it.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Having something good and then taken away, the absence doesn’t only make it grow fonder, but grows anger as well. They will want it back. Need only see the reaction of City of Heroes fans to understand an inkling of what that is like. Despite my love of GW2, the hatred of NCsoft still runs hot for me and there are many that won’t touch another game published under NCsoft because of it.

Arenanet is not NCSoft. NCSoft doesn’t have [much] say in what Arenanet does.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: JAYSPADEZ.1370

JAYSPADEZ.1370

what you does ring true in most aspects, but if they made it a dungeon sort of like fractals of the mist, but instead add more worlds and level, then i believe it will have staying power and would be a very successful venture

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: bcd.4352

bcd.4352

Easter?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

This game needs fun content and SAB is fun content, so….

in Super Adventure Box

aaron.7850

You are missing the point

I love eating chocolate cake on my birthday, that doesnt mean that I NEED chocolate cake every single day after it, even if I really wanted to. It does more harm than good.

You are the kid wanting to eat chocolate cake every day.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Storm of the Ages.9076

Storm of the Ages.9076

Maybe Anet trusts you to moderate you chocolate cake intake? An honors system!

Wait.. no.. we exploit everything in this game >.<

Wait.. no.. we exploit everything in this game >.<We do need more fun content and mini games like promised at release though. Still waiting on that polymock xD

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

I love eating chocolate cake on my birthday, that doesnt mean that I NEED chocolate cake every single day after it, even if I really wanted to. It does more harm than good.

So the game should be boring? Without SAB GW2 quite banal to be perfectly honest. It’s like toast, without butter or sugar.

And considering metaphor was valid, then I’d rather eat chocolate cake than toast because for me games are for occasional enjoyment. They’re not sustenance.

Maybe Anet trusts you to moderate you chocolate cake intake? An honors system!

Wait.. no.. we exploit everything in this game >.<

QFT
Just look at CoF farming.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: ZenonSeth.5739

ZenonSeth.5739

Yes, but chocolate cake is available to you, should you choose to eat some, every day of the year. It’s personal preference how often you want to eat chocolate cake, it’s not a one time (or once a year) restriction by the chocolate cake providers.

Edit: To expand on that: This being limited time will make me rush through this much faster out of worry that I won’t be able to do it anymore. Basically if you only knew you could have chocolate cake once in your life, you’d try to eat as much of it as you can before you are no longer allowed to eat any.

Dropping the metaphor, the Super Adventure Box being available at all times will let people tackle it at their own pace, finding all the secrets, instead of trying to rush the box to get some skins or achievements before they no longer can.

Are ye laughin’ yet?

(edited by ZenonSeth.5739)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Ace.1726

Ace.1726

I agree, 30 days is plenty. As fun as it is the novelty would be lost if it were permanently in the game.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: ZenonSeth.5739

ZenonSeth.5739

I agree, 30 days is plenty. As fun as it is the novelty would be lost if it were permanently in the game.

I honestly want to know why you would apply this logic only to the SAB dungeon-like world, and not to, say, other dungeons (that also provide unique and cool skins), or jumping puzzles (that also provide unique and fun challenges).

Are ye laughin’ yet?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Except that there are only 4 zones released. Assuming there are 3 zones per world, that means it’s 1/3 released (1-1,1-2,1-3,2-1 are released).

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Easter?

That was March 31st.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

………I don’t think you can really compare the closure of a game that came as a surprise to even it’s developers to a small event that will come back at various times in the year, possibly with new additions.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I think part of this outcry for SAB is because we were all but promised mini-games all the way leading up to launch. People even snuck into the unfinished Polymock arenas (presumably) during the betas.

Then comes launch and all we have is Keg Brawl, even though the hints about a mini-game for each race were there, and I am pretty sure it was even stated that each race would eventually have their own.

Also, for me personally SAB is a clear throwback to the beta finale events, take a zone and completely change the mechanics, only SAB is its own thing and even more ambitious than the branding or hunger royale. I am pretty sure I am not the only one, the beta finales proved that they could do some pretty impressive stuff in a short time span with little resources too.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: mekkanic.4759

mekkanic.4759

I honestly want to know why you would apply this logic only to the SAB dungeon-like world, and not to, say, other dungeons (that also provide unique and cool skins), or jumping puzzles (that also provide unique and fun challenges).

Honestly…saying that s.a.b. is dungeon- like is laughable. I wouldnt even call it a dungeon….

I have a hard time finding a counter arguement with your statement though….since…southsun cove is here (who even goes there anymore?) . It isnt going anywhere. Fractals…yeah…not going anywhere. Only thing I can see is that people eill want more of this s.a.b. where the focus is supposed to be mainly on guild wars 2 mechanics.

Edit: If there is a compromise where actual gw2 content development will be impacted if s.a.b. need additional support/developmeng time… I say shelve s.a.b. and come back to it when time permits.

[Agg] ression

(edited by mekkanic.4759)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Imagine if Fractals had only been around for November.

No, please let me continue doing fun jumping content that is rewarding all year long. There is literally nothing else in the game that satisfies the jumper in me quite like this instance.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Brinson.7289

Brinson.7289

Someone better be ready to supply me more than 30 days of chocolate cake or i’m heading to the streets to find a new connect….

\-\ Poquito (Engineer) /-/ Tarnished Coast
Not Sure If Serious [BZNZ] ||| Cynical [CYN]

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

Why leave Fractals in the game, but not SAB?
Why leave dungeons in the game, but not SAB?
Why leave CoF farming in the game, but not SAB?

I don’t enjoy fractals, don’t really enjoy dungeons, don’t enjoy CoF especially. I enjoy SAB. Why can’t I keep the things I like ingame? I usually do nothing but level alts in this game, SAB gives me something different to do. I assume this is the same for many other people.

in Super Adventure Box

Awbee.8405

Oh, and another thing — what about the people who can’t play much, or at all, this month? I myself have a huge exam at the end of April and can’t afford to play much until then. So if SAB is removed by the end of April, I very likely wouldn’t get to finish it. I won’t be the only one.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

When you have those moments when you just don’t fancy WvW, or dungeons, or fractals or PvP or events and you fancy playing something different, something fun and a bit silly, what do you have available to you? Kegbrawl. That’s it. Not quite the ‘many activities’ I thought we would be getting. I was under the impression that each capital city would have its own mini game, such as the shooting gallery or the bar fight. Sometimes you don’t want to play the normal game and just want to do something daft, but there really isn’t anything other than Kegbrawl, and that is not something I would want to play for long.

I get that people want more content added to the main game and more focus on balancing and such, as do I, but this content has been made now, so what is the point in getting rid of it? It’s done, finished, so keeping it will not effect anything else. I also get it that this content will get dull for some people after a while. But then EVERYTHING will get dull after a while, if all you do is play the same thing over and over again. Not everyone will get bored of content at the same rate and some people will want to experience it at a leisurely pace, and only when they feel like it in between playing the normal game.

People are rushing this content as quickly as they can because it is only here for a month. I would rather it be permanent and play it when the mood takes me, not feel forced to play it now or lose out.

I see no real reason why this content cannot be a permanent mini game in Rata Sum, all they need to do it remove the chests that spawn in the world. If you get bored of it then you have the perceived free will to choose not to play it. Don’t stop us from having fun just because you don’t want to do it any more.

I think part of the problem with this being an Easter event for me it its scale. In Wintersday and Halloween you had various open world stuff to do and small jumping puzzles. The Super Adventure Box it quite large in comparison and feels more like a mini game than a holiday event. If this is an Easter event then so be it, I will try to get it all done this month and get the skins I want. Will I play it again next year? Only if they add more levels (needing more development time). Would I play it again if it was permanent? Very likely, but just for a bit of fun when I fancy something silly, not to farm for baubles or skins.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I would rather have the mini-games they had plans for, than have extra levels in SAB.

More diversity in minigames > more of the same minigame.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Roo.2037

Roo.2037

What the game needs is players, who are more likely to come if the game has more features and fun activities. When I get bored of some game, I do not throw it out, I put it away and come back to it whenever I feel like playing it again, it’s the same with WvW and jumping puzzles in GW2 – novelty wearing off is a silly argument.
And for something entirely different, I’ve seen people saying they want SAB to be removed so they can sell their Super Greatsword skins for loads of gold, as everybody saw what happened with Halloween skins. I wonder how many of naysayers here have this kind of motivation…

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Sahfur.5612

Sahfur.5612

So much bitter hipster fleeting moment idealism garbage. A game is not assisted flight. Streamlining it offers no solid benefit when done to such an extreme degree. We don’t need to worry about content bloat any time soon, trust me. ;D

Why do people find it necessary for states to decide what is right or wrong, for devs to tell you when to do this or that.. etc?

Think for yourselves. Its actually more “deep” and thoughtful to want options and simply practice restraint if you feel you will become addicted and burn out.
Some people call a wilting rose a temporary and transient beauty. I call it inefficient.

Next April, most of the same “too much causes burnout” idealists will not feel more fond of the box, but recall it as old content and because of the fickle nature of this type, ignore it mostly. Ironically, they could get burnt out permanently because they felt obligated to do it this month.
It would be “like, so last year”.

The game lacks content, why take away content so people can pretend to be on some moral high ground where they believe life needs “just enough spice” yet don’t realize that if the amount of spice in life isn’t your choice then it is meaningless puppetry of circumstance? Thats a play with strings, puppetry, a practice in futility with no risk or choices.

More options, more depth, less hipster minimalist idealism. It speaks volumes that many people enjoy this and have stated its the most fun they’ve had in game -ever-. This is a community starved of variety. So much of the current content is centered around making us do the same content over and over to chase the fleeting light at the end of a tunnel. Put down the fishing pole and let the twinkie chasers eat a twinkie for once.

A games “fun” premise should not be based around long-term starvation and occasional rewards where you do things in a linear pattern akin to a childrens story book.

Also, its perfectly acceptable to equate it to a dungeon. Most dungeons are a breeze and this one at least offers an occasional challenge.

The purists are just.. rampant in this community. Rampant. I blame sedentary social norms where its easier to have something decided for you than make the decision yourself.

Pacing should be left to the player and not the calendar. Novelty is at its utter best, pitiful novelty. A shallow trade for depth and variety.

Edit: Also I think some people watch too much batman. Batmoto isn’t the hero tyria-gotham needs, but he is the hero it deserves. Hurrr.

Plants, As far as I know are still, still bending toward
the light! And if we dance, until the heart explodes,
It’ll make this place ignite!

(edited by Sahfur.5612)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Fun or not, I worry that it sounds like some players would not be logging in to play if it weren’t for this joke dungeon. I hope the overall world in game can offer them more reason to log in, if that is true, rather than relying on gimmicks.

Or, alternatively, more ways to make Tyria more similarly fun, perhaps.

in Super Adventure Box

aaron.7850

I think part of this outcry for SAB is because we were all but promised mini-games all the way leading up to launch. People even snuck into the unfinished Polymock arenas (presumably) during the betas.

Then comes launch and all we have is Keg Brawl, even though the hints about a mini-game for each race were there, and I am pretty sure it was even stated that each race would eventually have their own.

Also, for me personally SAB is a clear throwback to the beta finale events, take a zone and completely change the mechanics, only SAB is its own thing and even more ambitious than the branding or hunger royale. I am pretty sure I am not the only one, the beta finales proved that they could do some pretty impressive stuff in a short time span with little resources too.

This I can agree on, the game does lack mini-games. The mayor cities all feel empty and theres nothing to do in them. But Permanent SAB is not the answer, 30 days is plenty.

in Super Adventure Box

Awbee.8405

But Permanent SAB is not the answer, 30 days is plenty.

Would 30 days of WvW be plenty?
Would 30 days of Fractals be plenty?
What about the people who have no time to play this month?

in Super Adventure Box

aaron.7850

Those were designed with the word “permanence” in mind, SAB wasnt and if they wanted to make it permanent they would have to redesign a proper reward system, which I dont think they will soon. If anything and Arenanet agrees to make it permanent, they will take it off after the 30 days and bring it back again in a few months when they have more weapon skins ready, more zones and a redesigned reward system.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Those were designed with the word “permanence” in mind, SAB wasnt and if they wanted to make it permanent they would have to redesign a proper reward system, which I dont think they will soon. If anything and Arenanet agrees to make it permanent, they will take it off after the 30 days and bring it back again in a few months when they have more weapon skins ready, more zones and a redesigned reward system.

I agree with this and I hope they do. The fact that there were weapon skins missing is the only glimmer of hope it will return, I just hope it that if it does it stays for good. We need more mini activities.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I don’t need or want chocolate cake every day of the year at all, BUT I now that if/when I get the craving that I can buy or bake myself a slice of chocolate cake, and no one is telling me that no, I can’t have any cake for the next year, and come my birthday, I MAY be able to have a slice of chocolate cake, or a different cake, or maybe no cake at all.

Right? Right?

in Super Adventure Box

Awbee.8405

Apart from the fact that Fractals have zero rewards for alts and thus I as someone without a “main” but a ton of alts have zero incentive to play Fractals … what’s the permanent reward system of Keg Brawling? What’s the permanent reward system of any Jumping Puzzle? Why have them in the game?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Sahfur.5612

Sahfur.5612

If you read the reddit feed the original intent of the creator Josh Foreman was for this to be permanent but his superiors told him it would be temporary, which saddened him.

So yes, it was designed with permanence in mind.

Plants, As far as I know are still, still bending toward
the light! And if we dance, until the heart explodes,
It’ll make this place ignite!

(edited by Sahfur.5612)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Premium.4075

Premium.4075

If you read the reddit feed the original intent of the creator John Foreman was for this to be permanent but his superiors told him it would be temporary, which saddened him.

So yes, it was designed with permanence in mind.

Super kitten I get it, it doesnt fit with the whole game, and that is what makes it SO special… I at least want it finished.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

SAB was designed as a one off April Fool’s joke that wasnt going in the game period. Anet thought it was cool and expanded it to an entire instance. There’s no reason to believe they wont make it a permanent, fully fleshed out addition.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

The chocolate cake metaphor isn’t that great. Its more like the game is Taco Bell. Now, taco bell has a huge menu of stuff to eat but sometimes they come out with limited time stuff like the doritos locos tacos. If enough people demand doritos locos, then they make it a permanent menu item, but that doesn’t stop you from ordering the million other things on the menu.,

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: avilo.1942

avilo.1942

Are you kidding me? Anet has reminded us all that games are indeed for…fun. People would purchase a copy of gw2 just for this super adventure box game alone.

Sick stuff, hope they keep it permanent as is and add to it what other developers are crazy enough to put this much hard work into FREE CONTENT that’s of this high quality.

Holy kitten. Super adventure box alone blows most other stand alone games out of the water _ game within a game gameception man.

They need to keep content like this in the game permanently more often. Super adventure box feels like something they could keep permanently and only would make gw2 more kittening awesome.