Two very well written Short Stories

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Baeyne.9584

Baeyne.9584

I want to say kudos to Scott for the two short stories he has written for southsun.

I actually had the shivers when i was reading the latest one about Canach. From that alone I got the impression that this sylvari is dangerous and ment business.

The style of writing he used got the message of the story through. In my opinion, it’s hard to empathize, love, or hate the characters if a writer just stitches together a haphazard jumble of words.

I may not be a writer myself, but I AM an avid reader since I was a kid. The writing style used by authors can either break a good story or make it very good one.

I hope you and the rest of your team writing these short stories will improve more.

Again, good work!

EDIT: This is of course my opinion. The topic title would be too long if i included that disclaimer there.

“If you keep getting hit, you’re playing the Thief wrong!” -Bassman

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

I couldn’t agree more!

Keep it up, Scott! Awesome work!

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

Posted by: Niyo.5920

Niyo.5920

I agree. Very good stories. I really like the new story about Canach. (As I like ever story-particle I can get about Canach.^^) Very well written.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I really liked the one about Canach too. Poor, poor Blingg. XD At least we now know where Subdirector NULL comes from.

Baeyne.9584

Indeed!

I think they are portraying him as an anti-hero. I wouldn’t be surprised if he will a member of “The New Destiny’s Edge” with Braham and Rox.

I am also thinking that Kasmeer will be the human counter part of Logan in this group.

Even though I have not met Canach during the Lost Shores event. The way he is presented really makes me want to know him more. Unlike the previous other two.

Zaxares.5419

Huh… I hadn’t considered Canach joining the new Destiny’s Edge. That would be an interesting addition, although I think his dark, tortured, brooding anti-hero status would overshadow all of the other characters, except maybe Kasmeer.

Gabby.3205

You guys are throwing all kinds of awesome theories around this forum and making me a Canach’s fangirl
About the Destiny’s Edge, Caithe is not nice all the time. In fact, some things she did during my Sylvari’s personal story really shocked me. Canach looks pretty crazy right now, but maybe if somehow we could help him regain his sanity, maybe he could someday become a friendly NPC.

Tarnished Coast

Baeyne.9584

We did have comments in the forums a few months back that the GW2 story needs to be a bit more darker or mature to be taken seriously.

Adding Canach and Kasmeer with their not-so-white backgrounds would balance out the characters of Braham and Rox and make the group interesting.

Posted by: Henge.3907

Henge.3907

Ok the errors i found with the story are listed below.

1: Sylvari glow in the dark, why wouldnt he be visible.
2: Previous pictures of Canach has him using a Sword and Shield, meaning he’s a Warrior or a Guardian. Neither of those two professions know how daggers work.

Zaxares.5419

Canach could always have applied thick makeup to cover up the glow. And being a Warrior or Guardian doesn’t mean you can’t use a knife or some other short blade. Although I find the thought of a Norn Warrior Chef chopping up carrots with a greatsword quite amusing. XD

Posted by: Payadopa.4706

Payadopa.4706

I really like the short stories as well. It’s just a shame that they are told outside of the game.

Now, if something like that were to happen in-game (maybe as CS), I’d actually love GW2. At the moment it’s sorely lacking good story-telling.

NPC dialogue is either too short or meaningless, let alone the myriad of NPCs that are completely forgettable.

Posted by: Starscream.6498

Starscream.6498

I was about to make a thread about this myself. I thoroughly enjoyed reading both of these.

2: Previous pictures of Canach has him using a Sword and Shield, meaning he’s a Warrior or a Guardian. Neither of those two professions know how daggers work.

I don’t see why someone would care about gamePLAY elements when writing a story.

Baeyne.9584

As people have already posted: Canach may have been using camouflage to mask the glowing parts of his body, granted the writer could have mentioned that there. Also, the weapon restrictions of guardians and warriors are only limited in-game as a game mechanic and does not entirely reflect on lore.

What I am hoping is that the LS story writers do not take the writing of these short stories lightly as they can have a great impact on immersion if written badly.

There was also a post a few months back that said: things like short stories are novels has its purpose in delivering game lore. It can either be because of cost or that the writing medium would be better than in-game CS in terms of “delivering” the character.

In writing we get to know how the character thinks because we can “read” his thoughts. In CS we see how they act, and it is in CS that we get to see all the pomp and flourish that they deserve, or don’t deserve, whatever the case may be.

Niyo.5920

You guys are throwing all kinds of awesome theories around this forum and making me a Canach’s fangirl

I think I’m a Canach-fangirl since I first met him back in november.^^

I would really like it to see Canach in the new Destinys Edge. But I don’t think he will be the sylvari there. Why I think that?
Rox and Braham (and Kasmeer, too) have unique faces which players can’t copy for their own characters. Like the faces of the old Destinys Edge-members. But Canach has a face of the editor. Could be easily copied by us. (Maybe I should give it a try. *grin*)
So even if I really think it would be cool to have him as an DE-member (and he is a male sylvari which fits) I don’t believe he will get the job.

Gabby.3205

That’s true Niyo, but Canach’s face was changed once, so it can be changed again to an unique face. I mean, maybe he heals but not completely, so then he gets a face that is neither his original one nor the one he has now xD
Anyway, even if he doesn’t became part of the new (junior?) Destiny’s Edge, it would be nice if he became a recurring character or if he ended up somewhere we could go and talk to him. Also, if he MUST go to prison, he should go to that one at the Grove then. He is a Secondborn, after all, and I believe it would be good for him to be with the Pale Tree.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Henge.3907

Henge.3907

I was about to make a thread about this myself. I thoroughly enjoyed reading both of these.

I don’t see why someone would care about gamePLAY elements when writing a story.

I don’t see how someone could not see a joke.

Niyo.5920

That’s true Niyo, but Canach’s face was changed once, so it can be changed again to an unique face. I mean, maybe he heals but not completely, so then he gets a face that is neither his original one nor the one he has now xD

Ah. Right. Haven’t thought about that! You are right. That would be cool!

Anyway, even if he doesn’t became part of the new (junior?) Destiny’s Edge, it would be nice if he became a recurring character or if he ended up somewhere we could go and talk to him. Also, if he MUST go to prison, he should go to that one at the Grove then. He is a Secondborn, after all, and I believe it would be good for him to be with the Pale Tree.

I like the way you are thinking... I thought the same. He (please!) has to be a recurring character which we can visit (or as for me: stalk) as often as we want. *g* And IF he has to go to prison than to that in the Grove.

Posted by: Arkengel RaF.9672

Arkengel RaF.9672

Anyone else notice that the Silvary in picture with Blingg, is not the real Canach?

This is suppose to be the real Canach, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Canach

Niyo.5920

Anyone else notice that the Silvary in picture with Blingg, is not the real Canach?

This is suppose to be the real Canach, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Canach

It is the real Canach. He has changed.
The discussion about that fact you can read here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/southsun/Canach-s-Mutation-Radical-Change/first

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

Sylvari only glow at night. The exception being CoF, where apparently it’s always night time there. This story takes place in the day time. Daylight streams in through the door as he leaves.

Rytlock uses a sword mainhand and a pistol in his offhand, and is supposed to be a warrior. Warriors can’t use pistols. NPCs are allowed to break the rules.

Niyo.5920

Sylvari only glow at night. The exception being CoF, where apparently it’s always night time there. This story takes place in the day time. Daylight streams in through the door as he leaves.

Rytlock uses a sword mainhand and a pistol in his offhand, and is supposed to be a warrior. Warriors can’t use pistols. NPCs are allowed to break the rules.

You haven’t read, that Henge said that it was a joke, do you?
Besides that… this is the line: “The door to Blingg’s hovel opened and waning daylight streamed in.” It’s “waning daylight” so it’s evening. Don’t know when sylvari in lore start to glow, but my sylvari starts glowing at evening and the glowing increases when it went night.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I wish they were better at transferring the story from the studio into the game. There is a chunk of story in the game for those who go looking for it, but it’s very easy to miss it and it often feels detached from the general gameplay of the new content. It would be great to see more voice acted events or phantom appearances of the key NPCs in this content. Every time I saw the Molten Alliance dynamic events I kept wondering why they never had any voice acting to strengthen the story telling within the gameplay.

Posted by: snakeboy.3062

snakeboy.3062

Even though I have not met Canach during the Lost Shores event. The way he is presented really makes me want to know him more. Unlike the previous other two.

This. I couldn’t care less about Braham and Roxx, but Canach really got my interest.

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

You haven’t read, that Henge said that it was a joke, do you?
Besides that… this is the line: “The door to Blingg’s hovel opened and waning daylight streamed in.” It’s “waning daylight” so it’s evening. Don’t know when sylvari in lore start to glow, but my sylvari starts glowing at evening and the glowing increases when it went night.

True, but don’t forget you can also choose to let your Sylvari not glow at all. There are plenty non-glowing Sylvari characters in the world.