Why is a human storyline being forced?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Spendingallmytime.7249

Spendingallmytime.7249

Taking GW1 into consideration, the Humans have fallen the furthest as far as influence. Therefore, the Queen’s Jubilee and Queen’s Speech are perfect avenues for Queen Jennah to reestablish Humans as a relevant force.

Why you bein’ cute?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Why though, are we being forced to care about a human Queen for a month?

The point is that everybody is basically being forced to go and care about a race that not everybody cares about or plays.

Why is this being forced on everyone?

Someday I hope this forum learns what it actually means to be forced to do something, but my expectation is low.

Right chief. You have trouble reading into things, that’s ok I get it. I used “being forced” because if I want to participate in the living story I am forced to do so in this regard. I don’t know why people like you even post on the forums if all you do is play that stupid “you aren’t FORCED to do anything” card.

If you don’t like the content, you can run some dungeons, or WvW, or kill world bosses. Simple truth is, you’re forcing yourself to do something you don’t want to. <puts on straw hat> It’s like saying I’m forced to kill the Fire Ele every hour because his timer cycled through.

As for the crafting area you mention in your OP, all cities have them. DR’s one is a few blocks away. The area you’re referring to is the VIP section. It’s there for convenience, which requires the “VIP” ticket to get in.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Daevinity Inspirata.2508

Daevinity Inspirata.2508

Eh, I commented because while I haven’t actually minded this story I do want more focus on the other races.

I say this with an understanding of my own personal bias against humans in fantasy MMOs though. I just find humans fairly boring in fantasy MMOs. Here’s hoping the speech Jennah gives leads to exciting new things.

well its not like all of the LS has been focused on humans , infact flame and frost wasnt focused on them at all , its unfair to not include humans in the story , they do exist as well. if im not mistaken F&F involved norn and charr. after this one we should see something with Asura perhaps? might be a link with the tech the aetherblades have?

Oh I know the story hasn’t been entirely human-centric, and you’re right in that they should be included. It might just be that this stuff from the Queen coming right after an election is all just a bit political for my tastes. I’m not entirely sure. I am not 100% against humans by any means… I simply favor the other races (primarily Asura, Sylvari, and Norn… I dislike the Charr even more than I do humans).

In all honesty, I HAVE enjoyed the Crown Pavillion and the Gauntlet as well. It was more the stuff out in the world (mostly the balloons) that I disliked. I do like my little balloon though hehe. The Pavillion has been a great place to level and get loot lol.

The Asura have a lot to do with the Aetherblades being as how it was the Inquest (dark side of the Asura) that gave them the tech they have. The Asura are my absolute favorite race and I would never object to getting content that included them and/or focused on them hehe

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Hopefully it’s the start of a rotating trend where we get content for each race.

There is actually a dragon almost connected to each race and each race will be focused on for that dragon.

Jungle Dragon-Slyvari
Jormag-Norn
Kralk-Charr/Ebonhawke
Primodious- Asuran

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Daevinity Inspirata.2508

Daevinity Inspirata.2508

I thought that the dwarves were all turned to stone and still underground fighting Primordus? Since the Asura came to the surface I guess I had the feeling that they were done with that.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Fox Soul.4809

Fox Soul.4809

we past several months on charr/norn land helping refugees/doing events. Deal with it mate ^^

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: ShroomOneUp.6913

ShroomOneUp.6913

How about SAB in Rata Sum a while ago?
And for Balthazar sake, this “human political figure” trying to make a peace with charrs for a kitten long period of time, THIS “human policital figure” is a part of YOUR charr history

trying to make peace with the charr

“we can make our golem take the form of our enemies!” golem turns into a charr

as a charr that was very insulting

Oh good I wasn’t the only one that found that wrong. Perhaps that the big speech on the 20th the Peace Talks have been dissolve and war will be resumed with the Charr?

you guys KNOW that those charr are FLAME LEGION? they are enemies even to charr-.- and rytlock was only personalynote from aniese toward logan. you know both beeing whiny kittenes and all….. and aniese probaly didn´t got the memo they are chill with each other again. i bet rytlock would have scholed aniese for that and ensured to logan he doesn´t think that way anymore.
-.-

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

What’s even funnier is that before this, everyone was complaining that everything was always about asura.

I’m glad to see something about the humans. I don’t have any human characters, but I think it’ll be fun. Hopefully you won’t have to know too much about them to enjoy it.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Akechi Hotaru.7129

Akechi Hotaru.7129

Let me start out by saying for those complaining about “Having” to care about some human political figure, no one ever says you “have” to do anything. If you don’t like it find something else to do. Why not just be glad that this one isn’t taking place in LA for the umpteenth time. Stop kittening just to kitten is the point I am trying to convey.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

The whiny feel is strong in this thread.

I see no problem with racial-focused, 1 month-long (GASP!!!) living story updates. One of the biggest motives of GW2 is the races setting aside their differences to fight bigger threats.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

Every Order mentor was non-human. A Sylvari was the primary focus of the latter end of the personal story. Most NPC’s are Charr, Asura, or Sylvari.

God forbid humans get a little action somewhere.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Frosch.7809

Frosch.7809

I was forced to visit the Black Citadel several times during F&F! It was all about the Charr for 4 months (conveniently ignoring the norn part) ! The outrage!!

Seriously, if you despise “humans” that much, why don’t you join the Fla…erm, just ignore this part of the Living Story? No one is forcing you to play it.

[Yak’s Bend]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Why should I as a human noble care about the pirates who are squatting on the mass grave of the old capitol of my country?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

You guys are lucky, none of the events so far released have been about sylvari, maybe some random npcs.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Why should I as a human noble care about the pirates who are squatting on the mass grave of the old capitol of my country?

Personally, I still want Ascalon back. Without the creepy crazy king, if at all possible. Can we have a LS where we return the bones of Prince Rurik properly to Rin, only for the Black Citadel to get instantly vaporized by an asura gate explosion?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Taking GW1 into consideration, the Humans have fallen the furthest as far as influence. Therefore, the Queen’s Jubilee and Queen’s Speech are perfect avenues for Queen Jennah to reestablish Humans as a relevant force.

One would assume that actions, not words, are how you prove yourself as a relevant force. While Jennah is making speeches, the Pact is off taking down dragons. That’s why Orr belongs to them and not the humans.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

I should be surprised by this thread but sadly Im not…

Story taking place in Norn and Charr lands. “had nothing to do with the Norn or Charr” Even though the main attacking force was predominantly charr.

But the most influential leader in the area, having a jubilee from one of the races of humans that includes representatives from every race is all about humans…

OP sounds like he wants to complain about something, and if the event took place in any place but the Black Citadel would be complaining. They have overhauled a section of the city that the players have been talking about for awhile and intergrated a story with it. For all you know they have a similar plan for the charr. Should anyone that doesn’t play a not care?

Why should you care about a human because you play a charr? In that case why should you care about, Abaddon, the asura, the dragon aspects, The mad king, the norn, the sky pirates, the centaur, Tixx, the sylvari, or anyone who lives in the sea of sorrows. They are not charr and all of them have less effect on the charr than the leader of the human’s who is sitting on a delicate treaty that may or may not send the charr back into war, and some of which are fighting the charr actively right now!

Why are you forced to care about the queen? How about, because this chapter of the story of Tyria is about her? How about because this story is about more than one person, or race. The main story revolves around sylvari, the other events have revolved around the Charr and Norn and the new fractal will be Asuran based. How about because it’s about the lore of the whole world that includes humans?

I should be surprised by this type of reply, but I’m not. You take my words too literally. I’ve played and enjoyed every single event and living story update thus far. I just don’t feel that it’s right to have one entirely centered around humans and NOTHING else.

Also I’m not someone who likes to complain. I’ve done nothing but support GW2 since before it was even launched. I offer suggestions and feedback (you know, the intention of the forums?) on a regular basis and I don’t consider trying to make the game a better experience is complaining.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

How about SAB in Rata Sum a while ago?
And for Balthazar sake, this “human political figure” trying to make a peace with charrs for a kitten long period of time, THIS “human policital figure” is a part of YOUR charr history

trying to make peace with the charr

“we can make our golem take the form of our enemies!” golem turns into a charr

as a charr that was very insulting

No. It turns in to Flame Legion.

Are you going to seriously associate yourself with the Charr of the Flame Legion? Then you don’t deserve to call yourself a Charr.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

I should be surprised by this thread but sadly Im not…

Story taking place in Norn and Charr lands. “had nothing to do with the Norn or Charr” Even though the main attacking force was predominantly charr.

But the most influential leader in the area, having a jubilee from one of the races of humans that includes representatives from every race is all about humans…

OP sounds like he wants to complain about something, and if the event took place in any place but the Black Citadel would be complaining. They have overhauled a section of the city that the players have been talking about for awhile and intergrated a story with it. For all you know they have a similar plan for the charr. Should anyone that doesn’t play a not care?

Why should you care about a human because you play a charr? In that case why should you care about, Abaddon, the asura, the dragon aspects, The mad king, the norn, the sky pirates, the centaur, Tixx, the sylvari, or anyone who lives in the sea of sorrows. They are not charr and all of them have less effect on the charr than the leader of the human’s who is sitting on a delicate treaty that may or may not send the charr back into war, and some of which are fighting the charr actively right now!

Why are you forced to care about the queen? How about, because this chapter of the story of Tyria is about her? How about because this story is about more than one person, or race. The main story revolves around sylvari, the other events have revolved around the Charr and Norn and the new fractal will be Asuran based. How about because it’s about the lore of the whole world that includes humans?

Maybe they one of the Charr who actually wants the war to return but doesn’t want to join the renegades?

Now that I think about it the war between Ebonhawk and the Charr could be made into a WvW mode. But I’m not into pvp so wouldn’t know how exactly that could be done.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

this topic is maddnes i play human all my caracters are humans i cant play race that is not human its just stupid for me and since im gw 1 veteran i like the new lore for the first time and FLAME and frost we saved CHARRRRRRR and NORN helping them whit their issues now u got 1 month of human and u complain u got nothing beter to do seriosly ?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

You guys are lucky, none of the events so far released have been about sylvari, maybe some random npcs.

ye just that stupid leader trahern killing zaitan cuz the silvari are the race born to fight preaty much the general story in gw 2 is about silvary

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

this topic is maddnes i play human all my caracters are humans i cant play race that is not human its just stupid for me and since im gw 1 veteran i like the new lore for the first time and FLAME and frost we saved CHARRRRRRR and NORN helping them whit their issues now u got 1 month of human and u complain u got nothing beter to do seriosly ?

I’ll break it down for those who weren’t paying attention at home.

Living Story Chapters:

Flame and Frost: takes place in Shiverpeaks and Ascalon. Protagonist is a norn (Braham) and a charr (Rox).

The Secret of Southsun: takes place on Southsun. Protagonist is a human (Kiel).

Dragon Bash: takes place in Lion’s Arch. Protagonists are human (Kiel, Kasmeer, Marjory).

Bazaar of the Four Winds: takes place in Zephyr Sanctum. Protagonists are a human (Kiel) and a charr (Evon).

Queen’s Jubilee: takes place in Divinity’s Reach (human capital). Protagonists are four humans (Logan, Jennah, Anise, Faren) a charr (Rox) and a norn (Braham).

So far the Living story has revolved around human characters with a single exception, which is Flame and Frost. People talk about it as though the Queen’s Jubilee is the only human-centric chapter, but the truth is the Living Story has been all about Kiel for a very long time, with appearances from Marjory and Kasmeer (who we can assume will return for the Queen’s Speech content). It’s ironic, but when investigating the murders in the racial capital of Tyria, the story was only using human characters (even Logan makes an appearance). An entire month in the human capital, with a plot revolving around the queen, is a lot more than a shared month between Ascalon and the Shiverpeaks that had very little to do with the Black Citadel or Hoelbrak and largely focused on the Molten Alliance.

The Living Story has a human bias atm.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Zayd Akira.1942

Zayd Akira.1942

ye just that stupid leader trahern killing zaitan cuz the silvari are the race born to fight preaty much the general story in gw 2 is about silvary

You must be oblivious to that fact that everyone hates trahearne with a furious passion

some have even likened him to Kormir, or otherwise known as Kormir: ‘The god of stealing credit’.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Miss Sugarific.8471

Miss Sugarific.8471

Chill.. I’m sure they won’t ignore the other races. We’ve had a couple of major story lines for the norn and charr areas. Besides, you don’t NEED to be human to do these.

in Clockwork Chaos

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The Living Story has a human bias atm.

Well, I’m not surprised. I understand most of the employees at ArenaNet are, in fact, human. As are most of the players, so certainly they are aiming their material at those facts.

Sneaky.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

This whole thing reminds me of the ‘you can please some people all of the time or you can please all of the people some of the time, but if you try to please all of the people all of the time, you end up pleasing nobody, including yourself.’

OP, this clearly just isn’t your month. Maybe the next one will be. Or the one after that.

Charr got to be awesome in the personal story, while humans got the shaft from the second half on. While not formally classified as Living Story, the 2012 events were dominated by asura NPCs. Flame and Frost, while you’re trying to sweep it under the rug, was primarily a norn and charr problem, involving the racial enemy faction of the charr as a major antagonist – yes, left unchecked they would have eventually threatened other realms, but the same could be said of any threat – and my gut feeling is that the MA wouldn’t have gone beyond the western foothills of the Shiverpeaks until the Shiverpeaks and charr territories were firmly within their grasp, and even then it’s possible that they would have simply consolidated rather than pressed forward into other territories. It’s quite feasible for an asura, sylvari, or (as long as the front lines stayed far enough away from Ebonhawke) human character to figure that’s a concern for the norn and charr and none of theirs.

Just like it’s feasible for a nonhuman character to decide they’re just not going to bother with the Jubilee. That said, though, while the Jubilee so far probably isn’t my favourite update either, I think it’s probably done a better job of bringing in characters of other races through the dignitaries, the arena (think the charr WOULDN’T want to be all over that?) and the fact that the antagonist of the update is (at least so far) a universal antagonist whose power seems to be growing rather than a local one such as the Ministry.

But in the end, the takehome message is: If this one really isn’t for you, than it just isn’t for you. It’s for other players who do enjoy this sort of content. Your turn will come around – and if it hasn’t within a year or so, then you can be justified in complaining.

One would assume that actions, not words, are how you prove yourself as a relevant force. While Jennah is making speeches, the Pact is off taking down dragons. That’s why Orr belongs to them and not the humans.

Wait until you hear the speech before making judgements like that – it was a speech from Jennah that kickstarted the charr-human truce, without which the Pact probably wouldn’t have achieved what it did.

Actions may speak louder than words, but when you’re Jennah (or Churchill) saying the right words is part of your actions, especially if you match other actions to the words.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Chief.5928

Chief.5928

I guess I’m just a little irritated to see every new event demand me give a darn about humans and nothing else. Meanwhile, Black Citadel, The Grove, Hoelbrak, and Rata Sum are complete ghost towns.

Why are people even bothering to respond to threads like these (Oh irony, so do I at the moment. I know.) As clearly shown by the above statement by the OP there just is no pleasing some people. Such nitpicking on every ittybitty detail, to only focus on its lesser aspects while totally disregarding the good stuff it brings along with it is annoying as hell. If you analyse something at least do it proper and give the good and the bad sides of a situation as it presents itself in your eyes.

I mean, Frost and Fire was mainly about the Norn/Charr, the Super Adventure Box took place in Rata Sum as it was an Asura invention etc. And didn’t we indeed have a lot of people stating a while ago with the SAB that the Asura got too much screentime, leaving out the other races?

Basically the human storyline only really took off the moment the Bazaar was introduced and even there it was only Kiel who represents the human aspect there (Since it was a Norn who convinced her to go there in the first place and eventually run for a Council position). So if you’re a Charr who’d rather be cracking poor Skritt skulls than to partake in fun arena matches against actually challenging opponents by all means stay outside of the city’s gates (Not meant as an aggressive response, just a bit of roleplaying).

Meanwhile, I for one am thrilled that this storyline takes place outside of LA and I hope we won’t return to that city for a long time. Would be nice if the next part of the story took place in another zone altogether, so not even a capital city.

(edited by Chief.5928)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

This whole thing reminds me of the ‘you can please some people all of the time or you can please all of the people some of the time, but if you try to please all of the people all of the time, you end up pleasing nobody, including yourself.’

I’m pretty sure you can’t please all of the MMORPG gamers any of the time, ever.

Seriously, the whiniest bunch of crybabies to be found anywhere on this planet, MMORPG gamers..

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

There is a huge bias towards humans in GW2.

Which is why Humans haev played a sideroll at best upto this point, right?

We had Char and Norn in the spotlight for 4 months with the Molten Alliance thing, Asura several times in various holiday/festivals aswell as the Fractals of the Mist, and a Sylvari leading the charge against Zaitan.

The biggest role any Human has played outside of personal story (for humans) is in an elections, where a Char was also equally in the spotlight.

There is no Human bias.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Gmr Leon.1846

Gmr Leon.1846

Personally, I still want Ascalon back. Without the creepy crazy king, if at all possible. Can we have a LS where we return the bones of Prince Rurik properly to Rin, only for the Black Citadel to get instantly vaporized by an asura gate explosion?

You really should go ahead and take it. I’m surprised the charr haven’t realized it by now, but the blasted plains are cursed to no end. First the Searing, then the Foefire, and now the Dragonbrand. Sheesh, if I were charr, I’d let you have it until the Branded took care of you for me…If that were a surefire solution, anyway.

Grydd, asuran engineer perpetually gathering materials.
Member of The Archivists’ Sanctum [Lore], a guild for lore enthusiasts.
The Adventurer’s Log!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Amanda Whitemoon.6173

Amanda Whitemoon.6173

well, actually, the OP acts like Rytlock, he had the same feeling it seems, and thats why he send Rox instead of going himself.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I play a Charr. Friends of mine play Norns, Sylvari, Asura, some human. Why though, are we being forced to care about a human Queen for a month? Go to DR to see the Queen’s fancy new Arena, go hear her talk about stuff.

no one is forcing you. you always have the choice to not participate in this event.

Like why should I, as a Charr, care about anything this human political figure has to say? Why do I have to get a miniature of her?

dun listen to her speech.
as for the mini, yes, they forced it upon you.
you can destroy it if you wish.

Why does DR get a mini LA crafting area (That every city should have – and should have free of charge) while the rest of the cities still have no point to going to them?

because they can.
and those who can afford it can enter.

I guess I’m just a little irritated to see every new event demand me give a darn about humans and nothing else. Meanwhile, Black Citadel, The Grove, Hoelbrak, and Rata Sum are complete ghost towns.

a charr got some attention in the last event.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Arcturus.5846

Arcturus.5846

Heres a crazy idea: Don’t do them. I hate Charr story. Thus why I didn’t do Rox portion of Flame and Frost. If they were to make a Charr Living Story, I wouldn’t touch it. I personally find the Charr to be hillariously stupid in design and a sad attempt to make a fearsome race. Will you see me complain about it? Hell no. I’ll let the people who likes that stuff enjoy it.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: MrIllusion.5304

MrIllusion.5304

The devs should be given some latitude to develop the story along a path that’s logical for plot progression.

It shouldn’t be a case of wrapping the story around a certain race or faction just to give minority representation.

Otherwise it’s going to boil down to “oh we’re at the fifth release now, so the next story is going to revolve around Norns next, followed by Charr, then Sylvari”.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

I play a Charr. Friends of mine play Norns, Sylvari, Asura, some human. Why though, are we being forced to care about a human Queen for a month?

I play a human and I’m happy that I finally have a good reason to go back to best looking capital city in the game.

I guess I’m just a little irritated to see every new event demand me give a darn about humans and nothing else.

You must have a very poor memory, because as I recall, the previous events were all about protecting Charr and Norn, had a Sylvari Antagonist, or had Lion’s Arch (which isn’t a human city anymore) Pirates working together with Asura. This is the first Living Story that actually has anything to do with humans. And you complain instantly?

This is why humans dislike Charr.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Toroquin.3605

Toroquin.3605

Hmm… not sure… might be because the entire personal story and most events in Orr is focused on showing how awesome charr tanks an asuran superlasors are.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Because we are the most important race.

Human Supremacist.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Ok that’s my point. They can’t, and shouldn’t. So why is that all I see in every zone? Balloons that take me to the human city. An event about the Queen and her new fancy Arena, and now the new event I get to hear that Queen make a speech.

Neat-o.

Just don’t show up if you feel so inclined. Just like you can choose to run past a house on fire in a Dynamic Event because, “hey, it’s just humans in trouble and I’m a charr”.

“Personally” speaking, my Asuran character is more than intrigued to see this spectacle take place, as an insight into human behaviour and from an anthropology standpoint alone it’s quite fascinating, imagine allowing someone to rule you just because their parents ruled you? Amazing!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

As a sylvari, I am most curious to hear what the Queen has to say! I’ve loved her events so far, and I can’t wait to attend the speech. I want the Charr and the humans to finally be united together instead of hating each other for no specific reason -gives this thread the evil eye-

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I’m pretty sure you can’t please all of the MMORPG gamers any of the time, ever.

Seriously, the whiniest bunch of crybabies to be found anywhere on this planet, MMORPG gamers..

The intent of the ‘all of the people some of the time’ part of the saying isn’t that you can please everyone simultaneously. It’s that you can please one group of people one time, another group the next time, then a third, and eventually get to having pleased everyone.

As a simple example, let’s assume that there were only two races, humans and charr. If the developers had all human content, that would please some of the people (human fans) all of the time. If they alternated or swung back and forth in a similar fashion, you have each group being pleased roughly half the time – all of the people are being pleased at some times and not displeased at others.

Real situations are more complicated than that, of course, but basically it boils down to a choice between focusing on one group of people and pleasing them, or accepting that sometimes some people are going to be displeased because you’re concentrating on others.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: smeen.4237

smeen.4237

Well, I’m not surprised. I understand most of the employees at ArenaNet are, in fact, human. As are most of the players, so certainly they are aiming their material at those facts.

Sneaky.

We need more Charr in ArenaNet.

in Clockwork Chaos

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Sneaky.

No, you fool, you ask for tengu so we can get them sooner!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: smeen.4237

smeen.4237

Sneaky.

No, you fool, you ask for tengu so we can get them sooner!

Oh wow haven’t even thought of that!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Sneaky.

That explains why there was such a big focus on Sylvari…because there’s likely some potplants at ArenaHQ. Somebody forgot to water them though…

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Hopefully it’s the start of a rotating trend where we get content for each race.

So every new month we can pretend to care about another race that celebrates something else that’s equally unimportant? The point is that everybody is basically being forced to go and care about a race that not everybody cares about or plays. If I wanted to hear about the Queen every day I’d play a human.

Not to mention the fact that because of the new Royal Terrace in DR, you better believe every city will get one. This should already be something every city has – and should be there for free. Anet should encourage people to use their races cities – not ensure they all just hang around Lion’s Arch all day.

This was a big problem with GW1 as well. Every main city of the game was dead except for Lion’s Arch (in Tyria, anyway). They should want Charr to hang out in the Black Citadel – Asura to hang out in Rata sum, etc.

Like make the “mini LA” areas in each city only available to that specific race. That’d keep it “exclusive” while still being open to everybody of that race so that they have somewhere else to be other than Lion’s Arch.

Lions Arch is a convienence, and typical meeting ground for everything. Noone is stopping you or your friends to hang out wherever it is you desire. Forming Parties for dungeons is already scarce, so splitting the people up even further would just be ludacris. But if you are looking at this at a Lore perfective, LA was built upon the foundations of free people of tyria, not race specific. Everyone is welcome. In Flame and Frost we specifically helped Norn and Charr combat their direct threat. We spend some time checking out the SAB in Rata Sum.

I have no doubt we will eventually celebrate with the pale tree or something along the lines.

The point I’m making here, is those are the starting areas, which introduce the player to all the features (besides mystic forge, which isn’t essential to character building), and other players who are the same race. We are beyond the “race” split, where we should be encouraged to hang out in “race” defined areas.

Role playing? great, than you can play the role of whoever you wish. But on a game standpoint, there needs to be a central location to share game expereriences, recruit players for parties, guilds, WvW, PvP, etc.

Furthermore, this is the first and only update centered directly with the humans. Southsun was multi-raced, aetherblade, DB, etc.

I fail to see the complaint here. I look at Tyria in a way that has grown past the old ways of racial wars, fighting, etc.

Given the choice I would rather support Rytlok Brimstone over the queen (and I don’t have any charr characters.) Not a big deal though.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Honestly, not bothered by the human-dominated story right now. Cuz it’s just right now. Granted, it’s the only event so far that has celebrated a human and takes place in a racial capital, but I think that Anet plans to do this more often with future events.

But we’ve had events in Southsun, in LA involving toy-bearing asura, and a norn & charr fighting the molten alliance in eastern Tyria. We’ve had an asura made SAB, a sylvari villian, and a human pirate. We’ve had a human/charr political campaign.

Also, I think people underestimate how important some of these people and places are. Lion’s Arch is the only all-races area in like…all of Tyria. It was founded on that principle of equality and cooperation (read Sea of Sorrows). That makes it incredibly important from a global perspective. And Jennah is the human leader trying to stop a war and form a truce with their enemy (charr). Which btw, is a war that has been raging for centuries and brought about The Searing, The Foefire, and the sinking of Orr. Kinda pivotal. If Jennah can do that, she will be one of the most important humans ever to live.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Fish.1657

Fish.1657

Anyone else remember posts around Xmas complaining that everything was “Asura”?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Topher.1684

Topher.1684

Not to mention the fact that because of the new Royal Terrace in DR, you better believe every city will get one. This should already be something every city has – and should be there for free. Anet should encourage people to use their races cities – not ensure they all just hang around Lion’s Arch all day.

This was a big problem with GW1 as well. Every main city of the game was dead except for Lion’s Arch (in Tyria, anyway). They should want Charr to hang out in the Black Citadel – Asura to hang out in Rata sum, etc.

A) You need to pay an absurd amount of gems for this convenience. So let’s not act like it’s a huge deal.

B) AC was also always very populated (in Tyria), but the main reason LA was always full was it was the main trade hub in Tyria. With no Trading Post/Auction hall, we were forced to spam our wares to sell them. Why would I go to some outpost in the hopes that someone there would buy my stuff, instead of meeting in 1 area where people knew things were being sold. Every MMO (if guild wars 2 can be considered an MMO) in existence forms these meeting places, be it for trade, group forming, or general Akitteng to show off your toon.

The whole point in LA is that it’s a meeting place for all races. That way we can all go to one area instead of being isolated in our own towns. Would I like to use the other towns? sure, but it will almost always be on a temporary basis, unless 1 town starts to offer more then LA does (permanent SAB! I would live in that town!).

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I should be surprised by this thread but sadly Im not…[SNIP]

I should be surprised by this type of reply, but I’m not. You take my words too literally. I’ve played and enjoyed every single event and living story update thus far. I just don’t feel that it’s right to have one entirely centered around humans and NOTHING else.

Also I’m not someone who likes to complain. I’ve done nothing but support GW2 since before it was even launched. I offer suggestions and feedback (you know, the intention of the forums?) on a regular basis and I don’t consider trying to make the game a better experience is complaining.

I understand what you are saying on your first post. I don’t agree with it, but I understand. However, I also think Loki understands as well. If you were just offering suggestions and feedback then you would state your position and leave it at that. However, on this thread you are arguing with everyone who doesn’t agree with your stance.

My stance on the Queen’s part of the living story line, is that it is awesome. I can’t wait to see other things in other places just like it.

I want diversity in the world. If that means sometimes just concentrating on one race or one person, then awesome. If it is encompassing the whole world then that is great too.

Not every event is going to be world threatening, nor should it be. There should be good and bad events. This celebration doesn’t have to be earth shattering. It just has to be enjoyable play. For many people it is that.

Also, for you to not recognize that Flame and Frost was not Char and Norn centered is confusing. It doesn’t matter that it was an event that would have eventually spread to all of Tyria. The real fact of the matter is that it was centered around Norn and Char areas with Norn and Char foes. It had two new named NPC’s that we had to focus on their plights. Again, it doesn’t matter if it would eventually infect all of Tyria, at that specific moment it was a Norn and Char problem. The other races could have said, let them handle it. When it starts to affect us then we’ll do something about it.

Why you should care about the Queen is because it is part of the story and lore of GW2. She is an important part of our world at large. She maintains a very tenuous treaty with the Char. She is one of the premier leaders in the world. I am not a Russian, German, Chinese or North Vietnam citizen, but I care what is going on with their leaders (Putin, Merkel, Xi Jinping, and Kim Jong-un respectively)

They are important players in the world and we should all care what the leaders in the world are doing even if it is simply a celebration they are throwing. What they do may not directly affect me, but usually it has tendrils that touch the rest of the world.

If every event is a world threat involving all races all the time, that would get boring to me. I want to see a variety of events with different themes. Maybe next time we will all have to care about what is going on beneath Rata Sum. After that maybe we all have to care about what is going on in that place in Rin that access is prohibited in. Whatever the case may be, I want to have to care about all the races not just one because it is the race of the character I play.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

Majority of players are humans.
Deal with it.