Too much zerging

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Azraeel.1238

Azraeel.1238

And the zergfest continues!

Was it too hard to make a mini dungeon in every map, with the same concept, but champs scaled down to 5 people? Players can access it once when the event starts in the area.

What would you solve this way?

1- No need for high end computer to withstand the massive amounts of players.
2- No need for a HUGE internet bandwidth to support the massive amount of players. In other words, no lag.
3- No need to be stressed of whether you make it to the champion or miss out.
4- True team work instead of blindly zerging everything.
5- Everyone gets loot.
6- No one gets left out because of full overflows.

This is just an example, I’m pretty sure there are a lot of better ideas, but you should have known already that many people hate zergs. Those who love it, most probably do for the loot, which if you give it to them on a scaled down group, they won’t mind.

So please take it into consideration in the future!!!!

80 Necromancer (Main) | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 80 Warrior
Engineer and Elementalist in progress…

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

Was it too hard to make a mini dungeon in every map, with the same concept, but champs scaled down to 5 people? Players can access it once when the event starts in the area.

2- No need for a HUGE internet bandwidth to support the massive amount of players. In other words, no lag.
5- Everyone gets loot.

This is just an example, I’m pretty sure there are a lot of better ideas, but you should have known already that many people hate zergs. Those who love it, most probably do for the loot, which if you give it to them on a scaled down group, they won’t mind.

Huge, epic, open world content may not be for everyone but there are definitely people that enjoy it. There is a reason why there are people that play WvW even though you don’t get the best loot from killing other players.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Azraeel.1238

I do agree that many enjoy that. However, maybe we have different definitions of “epic”, I also do enjoy open world huge fights, but I would have more fun if I actually make it to the end boss.

O (boss) —-————————— [ ] (Way point)

Still failed to reach her. Nothing “epic” about that. This is totally disregarding the fact that killing the boss is standing there spamming attacks. At least the world bosses has some effects going on. Heck, some of the huge mechanical trash mobs got more skills than the end boss. Just saying…

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Are you sure its not Butt Wars?

Attachments:

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

It’s supposed to be a massive invasion, if said massive invasion can be repelled by 5 people, it’be more like a small skirmish.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

What’s the difference between us and Scarlet again?

Attachments:

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

^exactly… I’d love an event not based on massive killing spree’s.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Azraeel.1238

It’s supposed to be a massive invasion, if said massive invasion can be repelled by 5 people, it’be more like a small skirmish.

Actually that would be truly heroic, imagine 5 people repelling a massive amount of enemies, then coming out victorious! It would feel like a real battle.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Bearlin.7238

Bearlin.7238

After 4 hours of zerging around, my experience was reduced to:

Tag events > waypoint at a town > afk for 1 hour > come back for loot

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Luigi.1584

Luigi.1584

I must agree, this event is NOT epic at all. Of course everyone have different opinion, but for me, event where you running in 200 ppl zergs, killing everything, while you actually dont see anything on the screen becouse of lags and low fps. You dont have to think durning this event. Its something like – Oh commander -> [TP] -> mindless killing (I mean, spamming your skills) -> event failed/succeed.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Gizmo.8623

Gizmo.8623

What’s the difference between us and Scarlet again?

Exactly! Tell me how many people Pirates killed so far?
Now, how many Pirates have we killed? We are heroes?
We are farmers!

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

that’s just how us heroes roll

You there! Stealing ale, is it? murders

And you! I see that you live in a treehouse. This means you are a bandit. murders

And what’s this? Food shipments! We cant have people with red names eating food. murders guards, burns food.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: fulcrum.5203

fulcrum.5203

Huge, epic, open world content may not be for everyone but there are definitely people that enjoy it. There is a reason why there are people that play WvW even though you don’t get the best loot from killing other players.

I agree, but the problem with ‘zerg wars’ are they’re quite chaotic. Do you really feel epic for mindless tagging/lagging fest?

I’ll be okay if this zerg wars are just to globally unlock some instances (i.e. dungeon), but in this case, zerg wars are basically a must to complete living world achievements >_> (quite many players are achievers I believe).

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Shoe.5821

dont follow the huge zerg

kittenmit its not hard

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Jaga.2084

Jaga.2084

Must run around, tag mobs for loot. Why wasn’t that in the manifesto? Everyone with a computer would play it right now. Scrap the rest of the game. This is what we want. And don’t you dare expanding the story or the game. Running around to tag mobs is the best. Sure, it’s boring, but the loot is good. Hold W, Attack Button and Loot Button until your inventory is full, sell and repeat.

When does the Clockwork King and Penelope Yin show up?

(edited by Jaga.2084)

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

zeromius.1604

I agree, but the problem with ‘zerg wars’ are they’re quite chaotic. Do you really feel epic for mindless tagging/lagging fest?

I’ll be okay if this zerg wars are just to globally unlock some instances (i.e. dungeon), but in this case, zerg wars are basically a must to complete living world achievements >_> (quite many players are achievers I believe).

In a few days that zerg is going to get a lot smaller. Maybe the events will be a lot harder as a result. You’ll then need to have a highly coordinated group of people that will split up into squads to tackle each event. The chances of you dying increases as well so it won’t be as mindless.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Actually the invasion are much less zerg based than i expected, or that you might think.

First, events happens scattered across map – if you don’t splint in at least 4-5 groups or more you hardly will be able to complete them fast enough to succeed at it.

Secondly, tied to first point, those events will scale with the number of player doing it. So if you try to zergball the events, you’ll have a much harder time cause they will start spawning a LOT of champions, thus making 5 manning a event easier and faster than zerging it down with brute force.

So, if you’re just trying to farm ok, there is nothing new. But for succeeding, actually, the invasions are much more “small groups friendly” than “zerg based”.

Actually, yday me 5 guildies and a couple of other people almost carried our overflow to succeding invasion, cause they where stuck in 2 huge zergs – with so many people the events scaled HARD and neither of the 2 zergs were able to complete events at decent rate. Instead our 5 man team didn’t face any issue in closing spawns very fast – by the time 2 other zergs (100ish ppl) completed 3 events, we already did other 10 events hopping around the map, bringing down the bars much faster than them and contributing much more.

So, imo, this event is actually a step in right direction about “massive but not braindead zerging”.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Actually, the event scaling is insane. Huge zergs will not manage to get anything done here. You need a multitude of small groups to beat it.
Yesterday, we killed an etherblade champ as a group of 6-8 randoms, while the very same champ spawned like a couple hundred meters away in another event. We killed him, moved on to the next one, where a huge 100 man zergball only managed to scrap away the first 10% of its health bar.
Basically, the bigger the zergballs, the harder it’s to complete the events.
With huge zergs, there is also the problem of people sticking around, beating on ridiculously buff leftover champs after the event has ended and the portal is closed instead of moving on to the next portal, wasting precious time.

Basically, the bigger the zerg, the bigger the champs, the more time players waste on attacking “leftovers” after portals are closed.
If I had a commander tag, I’d totally deactivate it and tell all other commanders to do the very same.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

zeromius.1604

A lot of people also don’t realize that they have to attack different groups for each of the three phases. The first phase you should be focusing on the Twisted Minions, the second phase the Molten Alliance, and finally the third phase the Aetherblades. Just going to random event won’t help at all. I’ve seen a lot of failures due to mindless behavior.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Azraeel.1238

In a few days that zerg is going to get a lot smaller. Maybe the events will be a lot harder as a result. You’ll then need to have a highly coordinated group of people that will split up into squads to tackle each event. The chances of you dying increases as well so it won’t be as mindless.

That’s what I thought when i first saw the Ember farm, the gauntlet farm, or any other farm. That eventually farmers will get bored. But farmers didn’t back down, they kept farming till the very last minute of the patch. After everyone get their shoulders, I’m afraid that people will start aiming to farm more than actually completing the event.

@AndrewSX.3794, I agree that would be the right thing to do, divide and conquer :P. However, people want loot, that’s why they would prefer ending a failed event with 30 boxes, rather than ending a successful event with 10 boxes (just an example).

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

zeromius.1604

That’s what I thought when i first saw the Ember farm, the gauntlet farm, or any other farm. That eventually farmers will get bored. But farmers didn’t back down, they kept farming till the very last minute of the patch. After everyone get their shoulders, I’m afraid that people will start aiming to farm more than actually completing the event.

We can’t assume that everyone is a farmer now. Sure, the farmers will keep doing the events but then the others that aren’t farmers will likely stop. There are undeniably a lot of players farming embers but I’ve never been in overflow in Cursed Shore whenever I go there. Maybe it’s different for others but whenever you go into a zone that has an invasion and you’re a few seconds too late you find yourself in overflow. That’s because there are more than just farmers doing these invasion events.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Clahadoor.5648

Clahadoor.5648

I do have to say this update is massively disappointing.
Why do they keep giving us all this zerg content? Seriously its all so bland and boring, I was optimistic about the content every 2 weeks but man this for me just isnt very good.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Hexxen.7216

Hexxen.7216

Because the general populace likes rewards more than a challenge thus zerging is great. I can’t even partake in the events cause my 2010 gaming laptop over heats even with a cooling fan tray and an extra fan blowing on it in a 23c room.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Pewintodo.4138

Pewintodo.4138

Basically, the bigger the zerg, the bigger the champs, the more time players waste on attacking “leftovers” after portals are closed.
If I had a commander tag, I’d totally deactivate it and tell all other commanders to do the very same.

You have to remember this is new content and there are a lot of people out there with zerg mindsets. During the login-server issue last night I watched the twitch stream. The dev clearly stated that any groups bigger than about 20 would be innefficient. When people flocked to his tag he would zone to one of the other portals; not everyone would follow straight away as they would be in combat so unable to travel. This might be the best tactic for commanders to spread their followers out – along with some comment in map-chat about which mobs should be targetted maybe?

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

At least they could do is introduce some basic coordination to these event. Like for example: You have to capture 3 nodes on the map and hold them against waves of enemies while another team tries to destroy a boss in the middle which is invulnerable unless you hold the nodes.

We have enough commanders now in PvE maps and this should be perfectly doable. In the next updates do something slightly harder then rinse and repeat.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

oh yeah? Tell me which zerg did you join for Sky Crystal hunt at zephyr sanctum, or for candidate trials? Update categories take turns so everyone will be happy. There are people who like zerging, who like puzzles, who like 1v1 minigames, who like exploration. Since July was mainly an update of puzzles and solo content, including 1v1 minigames, august is more zerg content. Next update is for Super Adventure Box.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

oh yeah? Tell me which zerg did you join for Sky Crystal hunt at zephyr sanctum, or for candidate trials?

It’s ironic since you mentioned candidate trials which was nothing but mowing down hordes of mobs, even though you didn’t have a zerg with you.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Azraeel.1238

oh yeah? Tell me which zerg did you join for Sky Crystal hunt at zephyr sanctum, or for candidate trials? Update categories take turns so everyone will be happy. There are people who like zerging, who like puzzles, who like 1v1 minigames, who like exploration. Since July was mainly an update of puzzles and solo content, including 1v1 minigames, august is more zerg content. Next update is for Super Adventure Box.

Let me get this right, if you were able to get the same amount of rewards in a 5 man, would you still zerg it?

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

People seem to keep forgetting that events scale and have been scaling since day 1. You dont have to be in the zerg to participate in these events, get a group of 5 people and go handle the parts on the other side of the map where the zerg is. You’ll actually make it a lot more likely for the event to succeed since the point of the event isnt to kill as many mobs as possible but to finish of as many invasion points as possible before the time runs out. The event is intended for people to split in smaller groups and go tackle as many points as one a possible.

I have finished areas with just 3 people so a small 5 people group should have no problem at all. Arenanet dont have to implement it, its already there. Players have to choose to play that way though nothing arenanet can do about that.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Azraeel.1238

People seem to keep forgetting that events scale and have been scaling since day 1. You dont have to be in the zerg to participate in these events, get a group of 5 people and go handle the parts on the other side of the map where the zerg is. You’ll actually make it a lot more likely for the event to succeed since the point of the event isnt to kill as many mobs as possible but to finish of as many invasion points as possible before the time runs out. The event is intended for people to split in smaller groups and go tackle as many points as one a possible.

I have finished areas with just 3 people so a small 5 people group should have no problem at all. Arenanet dont have to implement it, its already there. Players have to choose to play that way though nothing arenanet can do about that.

But you won’t spawn champions, which means you won’t get as many loot as a zerg with the current system.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Galen Grey.4709

But you won’t spawn champions, which means you won’t get as many loot as a zerg with the current system.

It will still spawn champions just less of them. The one I did with 3 we had 1 champion. But in any case raise your team to 10 or maybe 25. Most Dynamic events scale up to 10 players some group events scale up to 25 not sure which one this falls under.

But anyway you cannot have everything in life, the reason why you get 5 champions is because there are enough players to tackle 5 champions at once. if this was instanced for 5 players you cannot have 5 champions either, it would be impossible to win.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

People were asking for large-scale open world battles and ANet delivered.

I personally could do without the zergs, but I do appreciate that ANet designed this whole thing for players who kept asking for it.

So one month we get instances, another month a dungeon, another month a zerg-fest… I can live with that. Not every single living story chapter can or has to appeal to every single player.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: christiniae.7834

christiniae.7834

This is a terrible idea. I won’t be able to play the content if it’s a dungeon or instance, I need the help from other players.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

This is a terrible idea. I won’t be able to play the content if it’s a dungeon or instance, I need the help from other players.

all instances even on story mode accept the 5 party man, game is built on top of that.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

naphack.9346

It will still spawn champions just less of them. The one I did with 3 we had 1 champion. But in any case raise your team to 10 or maybe 25. Most Dynamic events scale up to 10 players some group events scale up to 25 not sure which one this falls under.

But anyway you cannot have everything in life, the reason why you get 5 champions is because there are enough players to tackle 5 champions at once. if this was instanced for 5 players you cannot have 5 champions either, it would be impossible to win.

these definitely scale way beyond 25 players.
And the scaling is so mean, it will take ages to clear a site in groups of 50+.
Actually, to clear the site quickly as a zerg, it’s best to leave the champions be and just mow down the small fries till the event is over. You don’t need to kill everything to complete the events after all.
I cleared events in a matter of seconds with an unorganized bunch of 7-8 players and I’ve seen entire zergs drown in their own blood, attempting to shut down those crazy high level veterans.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Shoe.5821

the rewards don’t seem to though, since the enemies just get tougher rather than having more than 2 champs

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Lorelei.7809

Lorelei.7809

why not have multiple events in multiple maps? This way even though you get zergs in each map, people are spread out across the game world and the zergs aren’t as bad. And then that would draw people into multiple maps at the same time, with the game having less of an empty feeling if you’re out in a map without a Living Story event going on or whatever.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Mizhas.8536

Mizhas.8536

Sry ty say this but you PvE players are starting to suffer what WvW players have been suffering for months now.

Anet loves zerg or Anet doesn’t know their own game… choose what you like here.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Shoe.5821

multiple maps don’t do anything when the map is instancing already.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: jobah.7241

jobah.7241

5- Everyone gets loot.

There are no zerg events in this patch – except for the last event in the invasion. That you don’t understand this only shows that YOU must be a zerger. Zerging in this invasion is something that you CHOOSE to do. However the events are clearly made so that people should split up in small groups to succed.

And everybody who is able to think for themselves would know that it is only in this initial fase that it is possible to zerg and win, because so many people want to try it out and do the achievements. But this is mostly only true for the high populated servers. I’ve guested a low populated server and they/we failed every invasion because they/we mindlessly zerged around.

So please, how about just trying to play the game like it was supposed to – instead doing what you hate: mindlessly zerging/farming.

I don’t understand people like you, i guess.

I am not saying that this patch is the best of all times. But Anet has actually tried to overcome the zerginess, it seems.

And by the way: There IS a dungeon in this patch.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

why not have multiple events in multiple maps? This way even though you get zergs in each map, people are spread out across the game world and the zergs aren’t as bad. And then that would draw people into multiple maps at the same time, with the game having less of an empty feeling if you’re out in a map without a Living Story event going on or whatever.

This would have been ideal.

Don’t get me wrong I like the epic feel of the big zergs (I’m an old hack ‘n’ slash addict at heart), but it likely would have worked better spread out to a couple of maps

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Galen Grey.4709

And the scaling is so mean, it will take ages to clear a site in groups of 50+.
Actually, to clear the site quickly as a zerg, it’s best to leave the champions be and just mow down the small fries till the event is over. You don’t need to kill everything to complete the events after all.
I cleared events in a matter of seconds with an unorganized bunch of 7-8 players and I’ve seen entire zergs drown in their own blood, attempting to shut down those crazy high level veterans.

Yeah we quickly closed events down with 3 people as well guess 5-10 would be an even more optimal number.
How many champion spawns did you get with 7/8 players?

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: perche.3215

perche.3215

grind wars 2 by arena nerf

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Galen Grey.4709

Sry ty say this but you PvE players are starting to suffer what WvW players have been suffering for months now.

Anet loves zerg or Anet doesn’t know their own game… choose what you like here.

you missed an Or. Or given the choice people will choose the zerg even if they claim they hate it.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Vice Dellos.7184

Vice Dellos.7184

I think it’s fantastic the way Zerging doesnt actually work but you do need massieve amounts of players. However it is true that people usually bunch up a little too much, but this is imo because they dont want to go to an event solo, wich is scary/hard aand aren’t in a party. That and the sad fact that you get more loot just zerging an aetherblades event without ever killing the captain.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: AnnieGYG.6842

AnnieGYG.6842

Jobah has it spot on – If you see 2 × 50 man zergs on a map you know the event is going to fail within the first 3 minutes. Zerging doesn’t work for this event.

You have to use brains and split up – get 5-10 people per event, get the whole map calling for help if they are alone or telling people not to come if there’s already 15 people there. It’s about great teamwork – just on a map wide scale.

If you see there is already 20 people at an event – don’t go there, ask who needs help somewhere else.

That way the events stay scaled down to Veterans and you pass the event. Zerging is a choice probably sadly based on champion farming since they choose to stay in an area to farm even when the event is over instead of moving ot the next event.

Now at least the PvE side sees our frustrations and problems with WvW, we want everyone to be split down, co-ordinating over the whole map – teamwork – not stuck in a 100 man blob.

Property of Gandara EU

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Why would they do that? Dungeons aren’t fun. Running with a giant zerg from event to event and getting loads of loot IS fun.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: mmzn.8201

mmzn.8201

What bothers me is that WvW dont make the whole thing lag … This events are affecting the servers in general.

Lag Wars

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

The only way you can do it is if you don’t zerg it and don’t level the events. a vet boss is always easier and can be soloed unlike a champ boss due to zerging. most groups that zerg cant actually complete it from my limited experience.

Too much zerging

in Clockwork Chaos

naphack.9346

The only way you can do it is if you don’t zerg it and don’t level the events. a vet boss is always easier and can be soloed unlike a champ boss due to zerging. most groups that zerg cant actually complete it from my limited experience.

actually, with scaling, the vets become way more dangerous than the champs.
Champs simply become tougher, while vets seem to become murderous engines of carnage.
Ever wondered, what the burning damage of a vet 5 levels above your own would tick for?
Just go find a 50 man zerg and see for yourself.
If you are having trouble finding 50 man zergs, just look for dead players.